Anybody remember this? (Note that this was made in the early 2000's...

Anybody remember this? (Note that this was made in the early 2000's, before Bungie was eating up Sarkeesian's bullshit shilling plan). The hand-to-hand combat and stealth was real good, and while the visual direction looks like a complete American knockoff of GITS, the story was sort of interesting and the lore was pretty detailed (though they still haven't explained what the Daodan Chrysalis is, or what/where the hell it originates from).

Also, this fucking opening intro: youtu.be/du8JepLM-lI

Other urls found in this thread:

ipfs.io/ipfs/Qmb1HvjX18hEYBsR5QMWrFZTi6GbtRg2FfSZvmN1gPpRTL/Oni
books.google.co.uk/books?id=6N0JSkTI3j4C&lpg=PA22&dq=david kushner&pg=PA86#v=onepage&q=david kushner&f=false
oni.bungie.org/special/part1/brent.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's a better GITS game than most of the GITS games.

I have it for my PS2. It has been years since I played it so I've forgotten almost everything, except for the fact that there were quite a few moves for taking out dudes without a gun.

There's also a GiTS game on the PS2 which is pretty rad. You should try that too. It's even got multiplayer if you still have friends.

Youngfag please.

Not worth starting a new thread over but Project Eden was another decent but forgotten cyberpunk game from the same era as Oni.

That seems cool. Sadly, i can't find a torrent of the game with more than 0 seeders

I used to own it on PS2. Used to.

yeah, it was a weeaboo below-average tps.

But ancient one, we don't know if 15 years ago OP was 7 or 14 or above. We cannot dismiss him as a youngfag this easily.

RIP kat. I might still have the gog installer for it so know anywhere I could upload it if I still have it?

I gave up on getting a torrent for it and downloaded from the ISOzone, they have it there.
Didn't even knew they had PC games downloads.

I played it last year and made threads about it. It's a good game.

Make sure you install Oni Anniversary Edition on PC to easily install all sorts of improvements and mods.

Oh, it was like 2003 or so when I got it purchased.

It was weaboo in the late 80s - early 90s niche anime good kind of way.

It would be something interesting if the game's engine was used today. I'd kill for a 3D beat-em-up with stealth elements.

I used to play the demo a lot, would have gotten it at the time but, hey, only so much budget for games back then.

I remember it being pretty fun. Then again, the plot was complete gibberish, you can tell there was shitloads of cut content and the level design is abysmal (what you basically get when you put an architect to the task).

I did like how changing to different characters with the cheat let you use their moves.

Yeah, the plot was near incomprehensible unless you read the manual and the lore information from the computer consoles.

The character cheat was fun. Loved the Tanker.

I forgot to mention that there was originally going to be a part in the game where you rode a mech, but they cut it out. That could've been something.

And I remember the trailer where you fought a mecha too, they cut that as well, and the costume with the leather jacket and sunglasses IIRC.

Also, in one of the earlier levels (if not the first one) there was a specific spot you could get to, and if you had a "mod" in the game folder the heroine would start an undressing animation.

It's very obvious the game went through development hell.

Also, it wasn't meant to be played like a third person shooter. It was more of a beat-em-up with a conveniently integrated stealth aspect. The gun mechanics were meh, but the scrambler missile launcher and Graf taser were just awful. The guns just gave an upper hand.

Could've been better. If it weren't so badly diced up from production, the game would have gotten tighter immersion and an entertaining plot that didn't end on a cliffhanger.

Loved Oni, though it was a pale shadow of what was originally planned.

They originally had netplay arena fights but had to cut it because they couldn't get the combat fluid enough with the network latency. The ability to play other characters is a leftover from that.

It seems like it had the same dev hell that duke forever did, being passed from hand to hand until someone decide to just bundle it all together and release to get some money back.

You're not wrong, user. You're no wrong.

I do believe an important character was cut out. Like, the game over screen showed one of the TCTF soldiers from the intro (the one not wearing a helmet) all bandaged up.

I'm still waiting for a new GitS game that isn't shit and let's me waifu the Major.

They only other game with vaguely similar combat that I can think of is Comix Zone.
We need more action games with methodical, execution-heavy yet not super slow/super fast combat systems.

OH SHIT. WHY HASN'T SEGA MADE A PRESENT REMAKE OF THAT YET? THAT SHIT HAS WRITING AND GAMEPLAY POTENTIAL.

Pls no

Hell, not even a remake. A fucking sequel.

Yeah, not a remake. But think of the potential it has for a sequel. With like a stylistic Chris Claremont era X-Men sort of style and No More Heroes tier writing?

Too much cut content, before they got into a partnership with Microsoft that would last a few years, they kinda rushed the game.

Checked, but there was a spiritual successor, Unbound Saga for the PSP

=
Just let that sit on your mind as a "What If".

Unbound Saga was absolute shit.

fuck time flies

So unlike the end of Comix Zone the comic book character leaves the comic?

wew lad. wew.

I remember waiting in line to go see the Matrix at the movies, mate.

?

Oh gosh. I am a youngfag.

Rampage Edition and Dynamite Headdy say high. Did I forget to mention Shinobi 3 and Ristar?

No I'm the oldfag. Most people here are

Shinobi 3, ah man. That has a beautiful animation design. Like it was western comics-ish shading before comicsy cel shading was a thing.

shit i got beat to the punch by a much better attempt

I'm the only one with a SEGA as a wee child. I still play the games to this day via emulation. Compared to consoles I got later Genesis still has far more replayability and challenge for me. Serious Sam, and HL1 were the only games I had on PC for a couple years until I accidentally killed that PC in a thunderstorm.

I'm fine with that. I prefer sprite animation anyways.

I like Oni, but that intro was fucking shit.
Here, check an actual good intro that still holds up.

#!T5tSSarQ!ocFWxjpedWuRn0Zv-WOvaIhhBBCriD8YzgkTqdK04IA

I just found this Mega link in my history, if anyone still wants it. I haven't even download it yet and I can't remember where it came from but meh. GOG version

This game is great as well, I like how all the cutscenes used the same voice actors from the show/movie (the english dubs, at least). It's funny too because you can tell they're not putting that much effort into it, but it's still cool to hear them.

sage for double post because I'm a faggot

No, it was all developed by Bungie West. Rockstar did the PS2 port, and Omni did the OS X port.

Been playing through it recently. I had a moment in it where I planned out what I was going to do and it actually worked, I was really surprised.

I didn't even know you could pick up guns or shoot while sliding and I had 1 HP so it was really intense, I had to kill everyone before they could get a shot off.

I would love to see another game like this.

If anyone wants the ONI-DEViANCE release converted from bin.cue to iso with bchunk here it is.
ipfs.io/ipfs/Qmb1HvjX18hEYBsR5QMWrFZTi6GbtRg2FfSZvmN1gPpRTL/Oni

It was a pain in the ass for me to find for some reason. If anyone wants the original bin/cue or rars I can share those too.

The anniversary setup is the community patch.

I remember the boss fights being straight up bullshit.
Probably the only good game Bungie ever made.

As far as planning go Hotline Miami can give you a similar experience.
The only game with similar combat system, if much simpler one would be
But really Oni is one off of a unique game, that never got anything truly worthy of a "successor" title.

Bungie's last good game

Anyone tried running it on jewdows 10?

I'm on W10, works on my machine. I installed the game then the anniversary patch. I never tried it without the patch so it may or may not work without it. No issues with it in my experience though.

what did he mean by this

Oh shit, you're right. The Oni intro was Street Fighter 4 ending cutscene levels of mediocre in animation quality. Who am I kidding?

The boss fights could've been more energetic. Wish Bungie could make a sequel without financial debacle or Sarkeesian's shenanigans.

Oni is great. I played through with mods a couple years ago and enjoyed it. Wish the hand to hand combat system and platforming was a bit more fluid but overall great game. We should get a sequel.

Like, you know, hire 3D animators from Japan and shit, and have competent writers and designers on board? Probably make the hand to hand combat and platforming fluid with current vidya technology? I have the GITS: Standalone Complex online game in mind as an idea to what the animation style would look like.

I booted it up for about 2 hours and played and haven't touched it sense. It felt pretty aged but I only got a few levels in.

But then again, considering how the modern video games industry has become a corporate Jew cart, Bungie would probably waste their time to pull out some "DLC costume" horseshit.

Besides the Streets of Rage and Golden Axe games, Comix Zone was my favorite beat 'em up on the Genesis, maybe of all time.

Emuparadise has an iso of the ps2 version.

Yeah, Remember Me was repetitive and the plot was boring. A bland platformer by DontNod, AKA the developers of "The Portland Hipster Girl Who Leapt Through Time".

Hate to shill my own posts, but:

What? When the fuck did bungie do anything with Sarkeesian or anything even vaugely related to SJW-ism

I always wondered if Oni started out as a GiTS game but they lost the licence somewhere during development.

this.

Fuck, good times…

good shit
I personally preferred the original JP on Genesis to rampage edition which was confusing to figure out what the hell you were supposed to do.

I loved cyber ninja the most.

There was also a playable multiplayer demo before the game came out on some E3 or whatever.

Nah man. It's basically Bungie's own Golden Axe. Just like how Golden Axe was influenced by Conan the Barbarian (to the point of clipping voices from the films for their character SFX, no less), Oni was influenced by Ghost In The Shell and John Woo action films.

1. books.google.co.uk/books?id=6N0JSkTI3j4C&lpg=PA22&dq=david kushner&pg=PA86#v=onepage&q=david kushner&f=false
2. oni.bungie.org/special/part1/brent.html