6th gen consoles general

I'm currently building my PS2 library. The games I might be adding to my collection are War of the Monsters, Kinetica, Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain, Virtua Fighter 4, Yakuza 2, Okami and XIII. Are all of these games worth getting, especially for Smackdown since I've played a lot of wrestling games in my childhood but I somehow didn't get this game and I need to know if it is still worth getting in regards to my context.

if you dont have burnout or ridge racer
dont breathe

They're already in my library. I just don't have yet those games I mentioned.

Get Drakengard and Downhill Domination.

Check em

It's to discuss all consoles and their games, not pick among them.

I got the charts you'll need for this thread.

and the xbox charts.

My favorite XBOX exclusives that i recommend are
Looks better than anything on the PS2/GC, mind blowing cape physics and overall physics for a 6th gen game
Cuhrayzee hack n slash/Armored Core mix by From Soft. All the voice actings is on english and there's a fan patch to turn text into english
What SSX wished it could have been
Fun 3D platformer that takes advantage of the HDD with a time stopping gimmick, fucking massive final boss
Probably the best lesser known XB game, a mix of hack n slash, strategy and rpg
Do i even need to explain why?
Hard as hell
Some of the best 3D action games to ever come out, also by Fromsoft
Amazing technology, still a beauty to look at after all these years. Gameplay is awesome too.
Prequel of sorts to S.L.A.I
If you are into racers this is as good as it gets on xb
Weird as fuck cartoony but gory shooter
Jap only
Also i know that they aren't exactly exclusives but a lot of multiplats looked infinitely better on XB than they did on PS2/GC. The difference on some games like the Tom Clancy series is of night and day, seriously check out some comparison videos for Double Agent, it even looks better than the 360 version.

you've done a lot of exploring on a great system. Check out Tenerezza and Magatama. Also, Panzer Dragoon Orta has the original Panzer Dragoon in the bonus menu, amazing game and very much worth playing. The Xbox version is also in 480p! Fancy.

Just out of curiosity, you talking "collection" as in downloading for emulating/playing digitally (such as Gamecube on a modded Wii via Nintendont), or actually picking up copies of them? For the Xbox, most stuff should still be pretty cheap, PS2's still fairly cheap though some games have been rising up (Yakuza 2 for example, being one that already average above $40 used, unless you can luck out and get it cheap like I did), and the Gamecube is getting to be the next SNES in terms of popular system to scalp for, where even common, well selling titles can be a good $30-40+ these days if they're from major Nintendo series (the Metroid prime titles being outliers on the low end of the spectrum still, though I have seen some stores here starting to ask $50 for Echoes), and then there's the actually rare stuff that can cost a lot on its own. Not real certain how the Dreamcast's doing as far as the aftermarket goes.

Could at least read the entire post before dismissing a thread as console war shit, considering OP's not overly praising or shitting on a particular system.

That's 5th generation, user.

felt like something was missing in the OP, realized only the controller-S is present! So I added in the Duke this way it doesn't feel left out.

dreamcast? Well, it depends. I'll never get over how incredibly expensive ANYTHING Cotton is. It's such an unpopular series it's amazing to me.

no, it's 6th generation. Saturn was Sega's 5th gen console.

I meant as far as western (North America in particular, since that's what I'd be prone to seeing where I live) releases; I know of a few pricy ones, like Skies of Arcadia, but not much beyond that (though I assume there's more). Still, is the Dreamcast region free? I could see a game that's good, readily playable without needing to know moon, on a region free system, but not all that available to westerners to acquire could possibly go for a good bit, like Rainbow Cotton there.

it's not region free, but the homebrew scene has made it very easy to work around this.

Wow thanks, i wasn't aware of those and ill be sure to check them out. PDO is an amazing game indeed although i havent played much of it.

Oh, right. I suppose that would still lead to the same effect, if it's easy to work around.

If I remove the rubber, would it still be still be on tight when I go to put it back on? Having those rubber bits loose on any sort of electronic really bugs me for some reason.

they do make CDs with little bristles on them that you can use to clean your lasers. Canned air might even work. Or best case scenario, mod it!

Emulation mostly. I'm just asking if these games are worth the download, especially since I have a data cap.

I plan on buying a second one for modding. I don't wish to fuck up something I've owned for 15 years.

I tried to clean the laser on my old PS2
a few years back, fucked it up so it doesn't read discs at all

so I dropped 65 on a used one that still ran CDs and soft modded both of them

if you fuck up your disc drive you had better have a modding plan that works without a disc drive on it

It's surprisingly safe, soft modding is very easily reversible too.

That sucks.

I know it's easy, I just don't like risks when it comes to my appliances.

soft modded PS2 can still play games fam, I used a network adapter to put a HDD in it and it plays fine, just no disc

you can purchase laser replacements online, they are cheap and easy as fuck to replace, it's only attached with a ribbon cable and some screws, and IIRC some have a little blob of soldering you need to remove since it's an ESD protection for when it is stored outside the PS2, i replaced my laser a couple times before i changed my Slim for a Fat Ps2 so that i could use the SMB adapter.

NOPE
I could probably do it too but NOPE

you don't need to solder anything, just press the hot iron against the point so it falls off, that is all.

Did you burn yourself? Are you a woman?

tempting

a severe paranoid, I'm more comfortable with software and plugging in cards and drives than soldering

Bump

quality post

What kind of rig do I need to emulate PS2 games at an acceptable quality?

Gonna be building a computer in November so I figure this is a good way to decide on what kind of tier I should be looking at.

a 3-4 core phenom and a gtx 460 or similar shouldn't have issues on hardware mode unless you plan on making the graphics better by changing the resolution to something bigger than native.
on software mode you'll have issues on almost any cpu but most games will be playable on any core i5 or better
If you're a good goy and get an i7-6950x from my testing it runs any game in software mode

Relax, the worst that can happen is you'll fuck up everything and ruin the console. Not like it'll be any different from how it was before.

I was considering a 1060 6gb and an i5-6500 so I guess I'll be alright.
Making graphics better always comes a distant second to just being able to run the game well..