It's that time of the week again.

Other urls found in this thread:

my.mixtape.moe/skhfva.elf
correlatedcontents.com/misc/Father.html
a.pomf.cat/bzkzvd.rar
youtube.com/channel/UC5dh6r8_R1hbKIwpaZjDftg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Also, mandatory webms

Didn't the ImScared guy put out a new game on Steam or something?

IIRC its an upgraded version of the original free game. Kinda like with La-Mulana, except I doubt it actually got that much polish.

Chances are the dev saw how popular the thing is and just is trying to make a buck with it.

Looks like the Steam version does have about an extra hour of content.
That's not bad, actually. I might have to check it out.

I guess Corpse Party on 3DS. I ordered it around July but it still hasn't come, and I was disappointed that it was delayed to August.
Marathoned Doom 3 BFG, that was pretty good once I got over that it wasn't a Doom game. Also marathoned Silent Hill 2 and that was okay. nowhere near as good as people hyped it as, but it could be that I had the shit spoiled out of me compared to something like 3, 4, or the original where I basically went in blind.
I hope horror can eventually find its footing again without needing VR
Unlimited is stretching it, especially if you're talking about checkpoints.

I think horror is encapsulated more in the cinematography of a game than its elements. Specific camera angles, cutting between close and distant views, and suspending absolute stillness in the camera can create a psychological clusterfuck.
With the free range motion of VR it would be very hard to capture suspense and foreshadowing without narration, and narration is always bad.

My copy of Deadly Premonition came in yesterday, and I think I may buy Silent Hill 1 and 3 tomorrow.
Resident Evil: Code Veronica and RE:make.
No
I think it depends on how its executed
I don't know

Isn't the BFG Edition of Doom 3 complete bullshit? Heard they made it easier and added various stuff that nobody asked for.

In unrelated news: Has user visited any virtual "Ghost Towns" - i.e., MMORPGs or 3d chat platforms that have been largely abandoned by their userbase? Worlds (pic related) was kind of creepy - the only permanent residents were a staff of eight or so permanent admins, which actually were former users that got their admin rights on the grounds that they were the last users left, or something like that.

Worlds is (or at least was) full of all kinds of weird shit. There were Mausoleums to users that had died, various SM tortur dungeons, and one entire gallery (and I mean a literal gallery) full of framed ballbusting pics. The permanent residents eventually deleted the connections to these sub-worlds after explorers from 4chan (before the fall) found them, but it still was rather creepy in its own right.

Sadly, some 4chan /x/ autists tried to make Worlds into their personal donutsteal creepypasta, and it all went downhill from there.

Nothing I can think of, is there anything good at a good price right now?

RE: code Veronica, having a blast, it reminds me of the first RE. Also, killing zombies with the knife is fun as fuck

I don't think so, is anything it will get more and more stale with a barrage of amnesia clones

Do you mean save points? If you do it is kind of a tension killer, take the RE games for example, if there were unlimited savepoints it wouldn't be half as challenging as they are.

I dunno

I want recommendations of vidya and movies for this month, I will take note of everything. So please, feed me lots of information, Onii-chans.

Don't know yet. Maybe the New Corpse Party or might give Resident Evil Rev 2 a go. I will probably buy RE7 when it comes out, though not on release day. The demo gave me a horror boner.
The Evil Within. I fell it's the game RE4 should have been, ie. actually a horror game.
If you class en endless stream of jump scare judentube-bait games as resurrection then, I imagine so.
Unlimited savepoints are the height of casual in horror games and removes all sense of fear.
They walk

there are still any MMO left to explore? doing cyber-archelogy in groups was really fun.

Do I want to know how many smiling loli pictures you have in your possession?

Vidya:
1. Scratches.
2. DreadOut
3. Amongst the Sleep (very short, pirate if need be)
4. Stairs (very indie, pirate if need be)
5. The Witch's House (RPG Maker title, free)
6. Ib (RPG Maker title, free)
7. Mad Father (the free version - also an RPG maker tile)
8. Dead Space 1
9. Penumbra (except for Requiem, which is just a chain of pointless puzzles)
10. Cry of Fear
11. The Crooked Man (RPG Maker title)
12. The Boogeyman (RPG Maker title)

Movies:
Frankenstein; or, the Modern Prometheus (read the novel instead of watching the movie)
The Cabin in the Woods (Horror Comedy)
Ringu
A Serbian Movie (this is heavy stuff, seriously)
Blair Witch 1 (the sequel is garbage)

You'd be surprised how many MMORPG servers still are around. And then there's the MUDs.

This. Stop with first person shit and make it third person with proper camera angles.

T-That's just for show! Don't be silly!

Noted. Thank you.

Are there any games like RE4/5, Dead Space 1/2, Alan Wake, and Evil Within? Not sure if these games are really "horror" games, they just have some horror elements to them. Was wondering if there were any other games out there that are similar to them.

I don't think so, VR makes some horror games alot better but they don't bring anything new to the table. The horror genre needs someone to do something interesting with it. But the problem with that is that every successful horror game will just make waves of shitty clones.

Play at night after people are asleep.

Yeah, I found Silent Hill 2 was overhyped as well. Like you said, it was probably the twist was spoiled but after the box that needs 4 different keys and a number combination rewards you with a pube you need to use to get another key? Dropped.

(assuming you've already played the most obvious series trinity, Silent Hill and Resident Evil and Fatal Frame)
Condemned
Siren
The Void
Alien: Isolation
Chzo Mythos series

Ridley Scott's Alien, ignore the rest of the series
Kairo
Noroi
Ju-On series
They Look Like People, neat indie horror nobody's talking about

You had one chance

Mikami draws a distinction between survival horror and action horror

I still had fun, but from what I've seen they really brightened up the graphics from the original release, and you no longer need to manage switching between a gun and a flashlight.

I can't really tell you what makes a good movie, but here's some I liked
The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Don't see the reboot on Netflix, it's a bad movie)
Poltergeist
Evil Dead 2
REC
JU-ON
The original Nightmare on Elm Street
and it's a short anime but I thought Yamishibai was nice series of shorts.

As for games

I don't even think the original Silent Hill had puzzles like that, it was more annoying than anything.

Ito user, where art thou?

Fuaah~ All this thick information is so tasty. Much appreciated, onii-chans.

Looking for a decent horror game without gore or jumpscares. More on the thrill of something scary being there while not really being there
The Alien game was decent but still ayylmao

Games:

Sanitarium
Phantasmagoria 1 & 2
Postal 1
Lone Survivor
Corpse Party

Movies:

House (1977)
Begotten
Santa Sangre (Holy Blood)
Guinea Pig series (Japanese gore galore that's genuinely creepy)
Tetsuo: The Iron Man series

Oh god I heard about the Guinea Pig movies. I hear they were so violent and gruesome that the Japanese government actually had to have the creator make sure nobody was actually killed making them.

Makes me wonder how he even managed to make them too, and for what purpose

That and the whole Charlie Sheen incident with the FBI too.

For vidya I'd recommend Pathologic Classic HD
Darkest horror game I've played

But those screenshots are from the original, unless you're playing Classic HD in 4:3 for some reason

got a torrent?

also, grave encounters is a pretty decent indie horror movie. it starts out pretty predictable then gets weird, i really liked it. don't watch the second one though, it's so unbelievably bad compared to the original that it's shocking

It makes me wonder how "realistic" looking the films were shot, if he thought someone flat out gave him snuff.

Moving off topic a bit, can we also talk about spooky books, or short stories as well? Last I read was collection of asian horror stories called The Frangipani Hotel.

Couldn't find Classic HD screenshots but regardless it's far superior in looks, story (because now you can actually understand what people are saying) and gameplay, though that parts kinda subjective. But it's worth it regardless imo

Well could of used Steam ones but too lazy

Sorry no, it's on Netflix if you have a subscription. Shouldn't be too hard to track down somewhere else.

I was going to say, the whole thing is bad, but the last twenty minutes are so mind-bending retarded it's hard to explain.

Thank you very much.

Your welcome

Where do you get these edited pics of moeshit?

I made them for this thread.

Oh, I thought you got them from somewhere else.

Great job though.

Very divisive film. Some absolutely loved it, some absolutely hated it and said it was overrated garbage.

I didn't like it but can understand the appeal. Good luck with the heavy accents and olde English dialects. But worth it alone for the next to opening scene.
A baby is stolen and ground into paste then smeared on the witch's body to give her power

Slow, tense decent into madness as a desperate family falls completely apart.

Is that the one stylized The VVitch? Never did get around to seeing it

Could be spookier

Not sure. Give me a bit and I'll post some clips.

>mfw they casted an Arab as the devil

Haruhi leave, your show was squandered potential and garbage

yeah, that's the one. it was very firmly in "OK" territory. wasn't terrible, wasn't fantastic

Isn't the devil a goat?

Did I just miss a joke?

Did you watch the whole thing? The goat turns into Black Adder

I'll make sure to watch it.

I know, they're just shitty edits

Remember when I raged against you and called you a filthy Canadian when you mocked us Metroid fans for being salty about FF?

Who bitch this is?

that first one starts off as pretty silly, but then that clown rabit monster comes walks out though the left side of the camera and shit got sinister quick.

It's a Radiohead music video

This was over a year ago during e3 2015. I was just some user but if that is you still flying the same flag you were baiting hard and the only insult I could come up with in my impotent rage was calling you a Canadian. Kek.

It's not even a music video, it's a promotional short film from their Instagram based on one of their songs.

I don't think just one user uses the checkem flag

I wish more horror games got as visually dark as Splinter Cell does

I think you have me confused with someone else.

Directed by the great Richard Ayaoade

Have you played the Dark Mod?

I have, but I don't think that or Thief technically qualifies as horror. There was one TDM map that used a lot of zombies and skeletons that I liked, I can't remember the name.

I'm playing Silent Hill 2 on my PS2. Might play 3 later this month.

Rule of Rose.

Just so you know, people, I'm going to continue from where I left off last week and dump the second volume of Uzumaki in a couple of hours.

I'm playing FEAR.

I haven't touched it since it came out in 2005, it's not bad.

Sweet, everyone gets wallpapers to celebrate resolving that cliffhanger

started Eternal Dakness Sanitys Requim. what am i in for?

Bizarre vignette-driven cosmic horror, don't let the first thirty minutes in the mansion trick you into thinking it's going to be a Resident Evil knockoff

a lot of tricks that you're several years too late to enjoy re: your television, but otherwise a solid story and some fun scares

Amongst the Sleep is a garbage game. Environments look awful. you do nothing but walk from one end of the map to another. the "stealth " sections with the monster is waaaay too easy and theres so many glitches you can trap the monster in loops. also you can end up going backwards into areas and then events reset, making it impossible to progress

DON'T ASK. JUST PLAY IT.

Fucking great game user. You're gonna have a blast

You underestimate the power of good sound design.

Is pretty shit, resi 4 is better than it in every way.

A certain green someone streamed this neat little game called Anatomy. Basically you're in a house with a VHS filter over your eyes, and you collect these tapes that hint at something wrong in the house.

They also streamed what appears to be a Game Jam thing where you break out one of those tape-player PC's and play a text-based adventure game, but shit gets meta.

Oh wait, it was called The House Abandon.

The text adventure game is The House Abandon, for those who were confused by this wording. Not the VHS house. That's still called Anatomy.

also, if anybody is curious, i downloaded and watched They Look Like People and it's pretty not bad. lots of tension and suspense, which is my favourite kind of horror. that said, if you're feeling depressed, isolated, lonely or whatever, do not fucking watch the movie - it bummed me out something fierce, son the entire movie is about one man suffering from something that may or may not be real and he is completely alone in his struggle

Are Clock Tower games good?

Also if I want to get into Resident Evil series, in which order should I play them?

Release order worked for me (play Code Veronica after 3). I also guess you could play four before the previous games since it doesn't have much to do with them, five is fun to play with a friend but I didn't like the single player campaign, feel free to skip six and probably seven

Give the Wii Lightgun games a try if you are into those type of games. They're not that bad at all honestly.

Yes. The Snes one is great (Also translated on PS1 as The First Fear), the PS1 Clock tower (2 in Japan) is also pretty good, although it feels more like a B-movie. Clock Tower The struggle Within (Ghost Head in Japan) is the black sheep of the series, but I enjoyed it. Clock Tower 3 is pretty damn good, play it.

As for Resident Evil. Play in release order is the only option.

Glad you enjoyed it at least somewhat. The friend who recommended it to me said he hated the ending and that I would too, not sure what he meant, besides that they obviously ran out of budget.

I switched to desktop so my ID has changed. Here is the clip finally.

actual spoilers below for anyone who wants to watch it
i hated the ending too. nothing got resolved, at all. he's still crazy and for all we know the "battle" is still raging

But he spared his friend, that at least has to imply personal progress, even if he still probably ends up institutionalized
If there was anything I disliked about the ending it's that they could have cut the last thirty seconds of that scene and I would have felt the same way about it, despite the twist

I was thinking about picking up Siren 2, how bad is the japanese in it. I mean aside from it being entirely in jap.

how regularly do you guys still do ito threads?

oh and

ITOOOOOO!

Playing the game in emulator now. Shit's all fucked but playable. Not sure what you mean regarding the nip, but you can switch to japanese audio so a western iso is "fine".

Just curious, did you read all of the dialogues in the game? Like the paragraph after paragraph of dialog? That was a massive turn off for me and I couldn't get very into it.

wait what, I thought the game wasn't released anywhere but japan

There, last volume in next thread.

The fuck did i just read also inst there a similar manga about some frankenstien doctor?

Well you thought wrong, it was released in Europe.

Franken Fran?

Did it have a really unsatisfying ending?

If so, it probably was Ito.

Her fingers are ridiculously long.

FUCKING SPIRALS

I still want a good horror game based around witches.

I've been playing the Gabriel Knight series. I'm on the third one now. They're pretty good, though I found the ending of the second one to be a bit weak.

I guess they're not truly horror games, but they're spooky enough to feel right for Halloween.

I remember watching over the shoulder of my old man when he played the Gabriel Knight games. It's all a bit muddy given that I was barely ten at the time, but I still remember being scared shitless by the werewolf.

It's sad that FMV games aged so horribly.

Come to think of it, it's been forever since I last read some creepypasta.
Do they still do stuff like that on Holla Forums?

It's a text-heavy RPG, you have to like reading. If you don't like reading, I'd recommend their second game, The Void, almost no reading.

The dog on that picture looks shopped as fuck.

thats because it is.

Evil Within is more of a horror game than RE4 was whether it was shit or not.

Why anyone would even consider recommending Evil Within is beyond me
I dunno what the fuck happened to Mikami but everything that made his other games great is missing from this one.

That's because he didn't want to make it. He wanted to make something like vanquish again (but this time hopefully something people actually appreciate). Bethesda told him to make them a horror game or get fucked, then they gave him a shoestring budget and typical bethesda "talent" of a team to get it done. Frankly I'm surprised the end result was even playable.

No kidding. All of the FMV games from that era run like absolute ass. I assume it's because they have to load video files all the time. Thankfully only the second one is FMV, though the 3D world and models of the third one has its own set of problems. That being said, it's actually really cool to see the technology evolve between all three of the games. I'm also impressed they managed to get Tim Curry back for the third one; I was worried they would have his FMV actor voice him.

"Him" meaning Gabriel, of course

It's a walking sim, but it actually has a few puzzles.

Our Holla Forums? Not likely, it's either being raided or shitposting 24/7

Holla Forums's paranormal board aren't helping either. /x/ is more or less dead, and /fringe/ is just faggots discussing how to summon a tulpa or succubus.

I miss the time when (halfchan's) /x/ would talk about cryptography and pic related.

Doesn't that just make it an adventure game?

Evil Within was alright. If the story wasn't such a mess and if the bosses weren't shit it would've been a much better game.
Personally I like the disconnected levels. It really reinforces it into your head that you're not in the real world, you're location is constantly changing due to Ruvik's fuckery.
In fact I wish they would've embraced the crazy disconnected levels even more. Those moments when you're walking down a hallway and you see that big wave of energy
wash over and change the level, are some of the best moments in The Evil Within. Plus the the moments like pic related are awesome as well.

Those pics make me want to install it. I got a steamkey for my birthday years ago and I just haven't been able to motivate myself to clear disk space for it.

It's neat and does have some scares, but it's flash-tier short.

It's decent, and I think worth playing through at least once. Just a heads up though moments like in those pics are few, sadly.
Like I said wish they would've embraced the crazy and had more moments like that.

If you do end up playing it, remember to turn off the ugly post-processing.

Probably. There are still creepypasta communities that thankfully seemed to have evolved beyond shit like Sonic.exe and ____ the killer.

I thought it was flawed but fun. I liked the way the story was told where it didn't explain everything on your first playthrough, I thought the environments were beautiful and varied, creature design was great, and the gameplay though clunky had nice touches like being able to drop a match near a group of enemies to save some ammo. My main complaints though were that there wasn't much puzzles, it can't decide whether it wants to be SH-ish/RE4/REmake in terms of atmosphere and gameplay, and I do agree on the horror aspects in that some of them just didn't work.

SP💀💀KY

it wasn't the worst game ever or anything but it's pretty disappointing. it has a lot of good ideas but pretty much all of them are half-baked. just remember that if you want easy mode, save all your resources for upgrading the crossbow, and prepare yourself for controller-throwing rage at one part in particular that I won't ruin for you but which completely ruined the game for me. I still haven't completed the game because of that one fucking section.

The snails and the pregnant mosquito lady stories were disgusting and I love them for that

Yami Shibai, anyone?

among the sleep was terrifying, had to get my younger brother to complete it with me

I'm currently going through Rule of Rose and I'm liking it so far. I just really hate Jennifer. I've never seen such an example of a little dumb bitch!

What's up with her? She'd get scared of her own damn shadow. It's just a bunch of kids teasing her and threatening her, she could easily overpower them and yet she's being a little weak bitch about everything.

I just got the talk by the prince of the little shits club, hope she gets better as a character because right now, she sucks big time. She gets so scared of everything that I don't feel scared myself because of how much of a pussy she is.

I'm part of a team developing a horror game. Could you fellows give me some ideas about older horror games with lower poly graphics? Not RE1 levels, but something fairly simple compared to what would be considered current-gen?

Like, PS2 levels ? There's Siren but I doubt it'd be a good model since it used real faces for the characters.

The game is going to rely a lot on post-processing since it's going to be a throwback to 80's slasher films and will have a heavy VHS filter over everything, noise and all

So I'm thinking of getting a polycount similar to TF2 and just letting the textures and post do a lot of the work.

Maybe try pathologic then. The models are blocky at best but the atmosphere makes them work.

Yes thats the one, havent read franken fran in awhile

There's alone in the dark, that's fairly old.
I also remember playing some other game that I think was based on shadow over innsmouth when I was a kid, though my memory of it is vague. I remember that Infogrames was the developer.

Take a look at Alone in the Dark: The new nightmare.

Please, for the love of all fuck do NOT make it first person. Just fucking don't.

The game's going to have a panning fixed camera similar to Resident Evil.

She gets better for sure, user.
And her being such a pussy is explained later in the game, so just stick with it for now.

Disabling the post processing will also net you an extra 10 fps and you might need it, since this port is a dog. I like the post processing filter for this game (it obscures visuals and makes things slightly more spoopy) but I disabled all the film grain – that just pissed me off.

Will do user. Just got into the Sir Peter chapter.

By the way. Would anyone be interested in a modded .elf for the NTSC version of Rule of Rose without the black bars and film grain? I modded mine to remove these annoyances.

my.mixtape.moe/skhfva.elf

Just put it inside the ISO and point OPL to load it as a custom .elf, unless you're using ESR to load the game. In that case replace the SLUS_214.48 file inside the ISO with the .elf (They're one and the same). Note that the file itself is SLUS_214 with .48 as and extension, not SLUS_214.48.elf

Make sure to replace the elf BEFORE patching it for ESR.

If reading isn't your thing then you should check out what said. I prefer my horrors with a good amount of story to help build the atmosphere but whatever rocks ya boat I guess.

We Castlevania now

So I got Pathologic from GOG and I haven't made it too far yet, been pretty easy so far. However I got to the guy who's son may have to with the murders and I don't have any more objectives to go to. Anything I should know to get moving along?
I may have messed up the discussion with the guy

Also I found a neat little twine game that will take you about 10 minutes to beat.
Don't worry, no jumpscares.
Just be sure to keep the sound on
correlatedcontents.com/misc/Father.html

Until you have three asterisks for the tasks in your journal, you're not done. Some conversations are fuck-upable, but it's generally obvious and indicated in the journal.

So in preperation I have bought the CE of Fatal Frame for the Wii U for around 20 eurobucks. Am I in for a spook? Does it have jump scares? How long is it? I have never played a Fatal Frame game but it looks really good, I am liking the fact that your only weapon is an old camera.

Alright, thank you for the tip my dude. I have a couple games for Halloween I could play through, pics related. Which should I start first?
Also is the Outlast 2 demo any good?

Mandatory call for more Dreadout porn. Preferably tonguejobs.

I really wonder what major publishers do with their horror IPs now. They have to be aware that there is a small but strong fanbase for horror, and yet it seems like there are more "indie" horror games than there are actually big studio made ones. The more I think of it the more this also seems to apply to horror movies as well.

Are there any games that let me hunt ghosts?

It was fun, had me spooked most of the time. There were a couple of cheap jumpscares though.
But its short as fuck for a 10 GB file.

The ghostbusters game, Luigi's Mansion, the Fatal Frame games, depends on what you're looking for

I suppose more "realistic" ghost hunting in spooky locations.

Fatal Frame is what you want, I think. Hunting ghosts isn't the goal of the MC, but it's what they do along the way.

Gotcha, tracking down the roms now. Guess I'll start with the first and work my way down. Thanks user.

Funny, I came to this thread to ask tips about Fatal Frame after starting it yesterday. I played it like for about 10 minutes and didn't come across any bugs in PCSX2's latest build so far

Should I conserve resources in Fatal Frame? First time playing. I heard in Resident Evil conservation is very important and can fuck you really hard if you waste shit, is it like that?

I didn't particularly have a problem with resources, it's not like you can just evade ghosts that much. A lot of them are necessary to progress.

Nothing, are there even any recent horror games worth getting?
Right now, trying to finally beat Outlast and check it off my list
lol no
Necessity, it only kills the tension for me if I'm dying numerous times, but if it weren't for the saves it would just be much more frustrating.
They walk in suits

I can't quite remember how often the game gives out supplies, but since most of the ghosties are handily beaten by the default ammo, you shouldn't have a problem.

So whats the general consensus on Resident Evil: Revelations 2? I enjoyed the first Revelations, but never really paid attention to the 2nd because the episodic format.

It has its moments but it feels very budget. Still, the budget did go to what mattered most of the time and the zombies look and move pretty good. There are also some genuinely tense moments. About the only things I didn't like were the extra missions and one particular area where you are going between three buildings that all felt pretty similar… oh, and some of the enemies that can one shot you, especially when they throw them in time sensitive areas and they are invisible.

Solid 7/10 imo.

I found it dull, boring and padded. It just felt like they were adding dialogue for the sake of covering up patches of nothing. It was generally forgettable.

it's the only episodic game I've liked enough to buy all the episodes for, but if I'm totally honest I have no recollection whatsoever of what happened in the story aside from that little girl being psychic or some shit.

Anybody know how good is Fatal Frame V on Cemu?

No idea about running the game, but it depends if Cemu can make the gamepad fully work. It's not something like bayonetta 2 which works on classic controls.

Gamepad works fine, my concern is the performance really.

Cemu has made some freaking amazing things. It can play some games pretty nicely now.

Guess it's time to resurrect the old spooky game backlog again. What should I try and play through this year,
?

Go for Fran Bow. It's short, sweet and will get you into the mood. The Cat Lady for some more spooks and Knock-Knock for some bizarre shit.

I guess you'll have to try then. I seem to remember some slowdowns on the actual consoles, but don't quote me on this.
Oh and you absolutely have to play this game standing. Treat it like a pseudo-VR game. If you stay seated, the combat will be an absolute slog; Rotating chair might work though

Condemned 1 is always great. F.E.A.R. if instead of a very good clone gunning simulator with ghost spooks, it was a very good crazy hobo pipe brawling simulator with madness spooks.
Haven't played the others.

there was definitely small amounts of slowdown during the game on the actual console, but it wasn't super noticeable and if i recall was only during pretty hectic scenes - screen cutaways to show two separate points of view, things like that

any of the fatal frames, now that we're on the topic. i fucking love me some fatal frame. 3 is my favourite but they're all pretty good. 4 is probably the weakest. they're obviously based mainly in japanese ghost mythology and traditions, so you're going to see a lot of kimonos and rice mats and shit. great atmosphere, awesome ghosts in all of them, awesome series in general

All good

Garbage, skip them

Do you think it's possible to make an horror game without any characters or monsters? Just with environmental puzzles or something like that.

Pic somewhat related, it's not really horror but it has DAT atmosphere

Yeah it can be done, actually I wouldn't be surprised if it has been done already. You just have to find ways of unsettling people other than
OOGA BOOGA & THEN THE WALLS BECAME BLOOD!

To kinda go on a tangent I've noticed some of you younger guys get creeped out when playing certain fifth gen games. I never got that but then again games from that era remind me of better times.

So I downloaded the first 3 fatal frame games. How is Fatal Frame IV though? I've heard it's a bit of a departure but nothing else beyond that.

It controls like hot SHIT!

This coming from someone who loves survival horror since the start and has played a whole lot of them. Just so you can get an idea on how shitty it is. Emulate it and play with M&K if you want to have any semblance of good controls.

It doesn't help that the camera is over(done) the shoulder shit instead of superior static angles.

As for the game itself, it feels a wee bit boring compared to the first 3. If you play Fatal Frame 1-3 and just want more, play it. Or play DreadOut if you're up for some Indonesian spooks.

It has waggle to look up or down.
And keep A pressed so your character can slooooooowly pick up an object with some % chance of a jump scare.
It's not "a bit of a departure". Gameplay-wise, it destroyed everything that made 1-3 great.

what about half an a press?

DreadOut it is.

I can't play that, I've been terrified of the Goosebumps cartoon intro since childhood, and that games opening reminds me too much of it, I can't be dealin with that

Oh come on, I can get Pathologic in horror threads since it deals in dark themes and has a survival aspect, but don't be outright scared to play it. It has its place here but it's not that kind of game.
It's especially silly considering ice pick lodge did make an actual horror game, Knock-Knock.

Well, there was that horror game Anatomy that's been making the rounds. Although it does turn out at the end that the house itself is a monster.

Anyone got a download of Anatomy?

And what is it that makes Knock-knock "actual horror" and not their other two games?

In knock-knock you have to survive until dawn avoiding monsters that have creepy calls and alien appearances. The environment is built around the primal fear of darkness, and it changes in ways to make you confused and vulnerable. You can't create safe spots, you are being forced to take risks. There is no combat. It is a game that is specifically out to scare the player.

Pathologic and the Void are about getting familiar to an alien environment, learning to survive in it,k talking to people and doing objectives that give you the opportunity to understand more about their respective worlds, until you take a final decision that decides its fate. They have tense combat, they can be scary, but they are not horror games at their core the way knock knock is.

In Pathologic and The Void you have to survive until a specified time avoiding monsters that have creepy calls and alien appearances. The environment is built around an unseen enemy (Pathologic) and entropic decay (The Void), and it changes in ways to make you confused and vulnerable. You can't stay in safe spots and complete the game, you are forced to take risks. The games are specifically out to make you feel like you are dying.

Really not seeing the difference outside of the lack of combat, and I don't think Knock-knock can successfully scare the player or make them feel tense considering it's baby easy compared to the other two.

that movie was shit lol

Layers of Fear

Its essentially a walking simulator cashing in on the PT craze with little "gameplay" but it gets the spooks across pretty well so i'd reccomend a pirate anyway.
Poorly optimised though and you'll need a good rig to play

sorry for linking youtube, but some of the assets are hilarious

yeah that kid part made me spit out a mouthfull of water and I trashed my screen.
The part just before that is pretty spook though

game is actually shit

This game was wicked, but it kept trying to push the baby doll horror stuff and it just didn't work.
I thought it was mundanely easy since you can't die and there are no puzzles, then I got to the end and I'd never felt so tricked by a game in my life.

This is undeniable. It is a walking simulator after all.

nah it looks good and got some actual good scares that dont rely on jumpscare shit. But it doesnt have any actual gameplay and it has no replayability

Not a horror game per se but Puzzle Agent has some damn good scares and is all around a really cool game

In what way?

I played it from start to finish and nothing in the game was unnerving at all. Even the jumpscares were weak as fuck and those usually can at least get a little out of my because the whole point is to just punch the fear center of your brain for a reaction.

The only part of the game that I was glad to play through was the reveal in the office when you look up and the ceiling just goes up forever but even then it wasn't scary it was just a cool setpiece. That and the mobile in the baby's room was a cool setpiece but it definitely wasn't scary. That and the story was plain as fucking day from the first minutes of the game, and it doesn't pay off in any interesting way in any of the endings.

Setting aside the game not being scary, everything Layers of Fear does with noneuclidean geometry Antichamber did better. Pretty much the only props I can give the game is it looks really nice.

Are you seriously pulling a NO U ?
Either you're trying to get people to try Pathologic at all costs, or you have no experience in playing horror games. 72 hours of mostly walking around preparing for barter and conversation is just not a fucking horror game, period.

Why did they even add the dog? The picture was creepy without any alterations. The shopping only confused that.

Thank you spiral-sama

I know it's technically not "horror" exactly, but I'd say the original The Last House on the Left would be a good Halloween movie.

"Halloween" movies are better than true horror movies anyway, in my opinion

Not my fault you didn't think your explanation through and that it could also apply to the other games. All of Ice-Pick's games are self-described as horror (with the obvious exception) and have always been considered here as such, period. If the only qualifier between the two is avoiding combat, I think maybe you're the one who has no experience in playing horror games, or at least you're very narrow-minded.

I bought Silent Hill on the PS store and downloaded it to my PS3, gonna play it later today. After that I'm gonna go through 2-4 and after that I'm gonna play REmake on PS4 since it's "free"

Is there any good co-op horror out there for the season?
If not, anyone have any experience/kept up with GMod horror maps? I'm just looking for something fun and thematic to do with some distant friends online this Spooksmas, since we played Afraid of Monsters together last year.

Is it me, or her arms and forearms are too long?

I'm actually looking forward to Yomawari, it looks really neat.
Gonna try my hands on CP:BloodDrive again.
I loved the original, Blood Covered and especially Book of Shadows, but couldn't really feel it in BD after the strong beginning and just stopped.
Lets see just how shit it's gonna get.
Also The Last Door: Season 2, like it so far.

It's not just you, elongated limbs are one of the side-effects of something in the game

I don't know how far you got but some shit at the end was just questionable and unsatisfying. Though that is expected as BD had to conclude everything and tie it up. The original has been worked on and had its script revised for years with releases and re-releases.

is there a pdf of this artbook

Duskers maybe, want some spess spooks
Pondering if I should play Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason and/or Alien Isolation. I already played the latter but gave up mid(?) way.
Resurrect? No but if a blessed soul manages to make a VR horror game and nails the sound design it could certainly be thing to behold.
Depends on the game. Alien Isolation fucked up limited safepoints but being able to creep yourself further with little consequence by saving all the time certainly kills tension. Maybe devs should treat safepoints like needed points of relief and thus if a player has problems at the same spot ease it off a bit in order to not kill it for the player.
Doot

Are there any horror games out there that try to be less static about their scares and how they try to enforce tension? Kinda like the Director in Left 4 Dead.

Two good scares, an alright atmosphere, and impossible oldschool point and click puzzles which ruin everything and make up 80% of the game.
Production values are actually super low, it's buggy, and the webm near the OP is one of the few actually good scenes with a lot of filler in between.

Utterly fails as a horror, but it's a half decent TPS. Reeks of AAA.

Production values are pretty low, but it's a nice "in your face" gore horror with a lot of jumpscares and over the top enemy design. I'd say go for it.

I would add to that Nightmare House 2, it's usually overlooked in these threads, but it's a free sourcemod, a horror FPS where you play as a member of a SWAT team. Psychological/mindfuck horror, contains a lot of VERY well-made spooky sections. Great flow. It's not very long, sadly. NH2 already contains NH1 as a prequel chapter.

I'm thinking of pirating Corpse Party, and I'm thinking of buying Mad Father.
I've still got to beat Fatal Frame 2 on Wii, I'm near the end, but the supershit controls just make me not want to play it anymore. Recently got a modded fatxbox and I'm thinking on replaying FF1 and FF2 on it.
Oh, I also played a little bit of Euclidean, and it was pretty shit. Too barebones to be played without VR.
Maybe, if VR will get consumer friendly, which doesn't look to be the case anytime soon.
The former. Scrounging time for vidya is hard enough as it is.

What was the name of that one walking sim that corrupted itself every time you launched it? Had some picture of eyes or something.

I know what you're talking about, but I can't remember the name. Wasn't that made by someone on 8ch? Unless you're talking about the one from 4chan that was embedded with a virus, lostboy.exe I think that one was.

Walking?

That's it, thanks.

Nigga.
I honestly think it's pretty bad but I still love that movie.

Is there an actual game or is it just that?

It's not a great movie, but it has some incredible scenes.

Where does one even download this game?
Googling "walking horror game" does nothing.

Any horror games that are trying to build up atmosphere instead of trying to be scary?
I am talking about stuff like Yume Nikki here. Games that are trying to built up some surreal or horror atmosphere while not really trying to scare you necessarily.

I mean I could just make surreal games thread but I believe making surreal anything without it being horror just takes out flavor from it. Minecraft is surreal as fuck but it just doesn't have any atmosphere to it.

Agony and Scorn look promising.
Tormentum insulted me by promoting itself as based on Beksiński paintings.
Yume Nikki is something I am trying to get into but I just cannot.
Saya no Uta had great concept with schizophrenia but failed because of shit tone of loli porn shoved into it.

Have you tried LSD?

The first games that come to mind when I think of surreal horror are LSD: Dream Emulator and Eastern Mind: The Lost Souls of Tong-Nou.
Imagination Reality Paradise is also probably right up your alley if you want just a short thing.

so, some sort of surreal/strange exploration game?

Sorry, I went to bed.

a.pomf.cat/bzkzvd.rar

Just finished Clock Tower. That was surprisingly good, I enjoyed it. I first finished on G ending, wasn't satisfied with it played it again and got B ending this time. Should I go for other endings, do they explain anything else or should I just jump into the second game?

Also they're made by this person
youtube.com/channel/UC5dh6r8_R1hbKIwpaZjDftg
Who also made Go Rotten, in the OP.

I already tried it.

I didn't try Dream Simulator for one reason. It has horror elements in it but it is just fucked up simulator. Also name gives away too much, there is no secret or story to it. It is just LSD simulator.

But Eastern Mind looks promising, thanks.

Not necessarily exploration but exploration genre would be the best.
One thing I like about Beksiński painting that I kinda use as what I like about surrealism is how dead and lifeless they are. You cannot really recreate it as any other genre than exploration.

But at the same time if game have surreal world that have sense of hopelessness to it, it might as well be shooter I still will love it.

I'm curious, are there any PS1 horror games that DON'T use tank controls? The switch to radial 3d movement seemed to happened instantly when the PS2 came out.

I hear it's a great period drama, did they fuck anything up?

Is The Calling any good, by the way?

Im downloading Condemned: Criminal Origins, wish me luck anons.

Hope you feel like beating the shit out of something

Hey, I don't even need to bake another Saturday Night Horror Thread.

Slow board is slow

When you're done, edit the config file to raise the tiny FoV and to have a 1080p resolution as the game doesnt support it by default

You mean that Wii game?

Couldn't it be argued that a smaller FoV only contributes to the horror because you literally can't see shit?

I guess you can make that argument, but it just makes me motion sick.

Yeah, it would be nice if Condemned ran as smoothly and easily as F.E.A.R. did

I've only played the GoG version of FEAR, but I dont know, just doesnt look like it runs well.

Are you sure you aren't confusing NH2 with Underhell? You just some guy in NH2, not a member of a SWAT team.

Both mods are highly recommended though.

Good taste in flash games, speaking of that any good ones? I now there's a pic with recommendations but it's a little outdated

Well, there's always Exmortis, although that one is ancient.

Due to Unity being playable online, most browser-playable games nowadays sadly are poorly executed slenderman clones made by twelve-year-olds.

i never found another like the Submachine series, loved its ambient music

Check the cube escape series, it's just as weird that Submachine

My copy of Fatal Frame 2 came in, so I'm replayed Fatal Frame 1 to get caught up to everything because I haven't played FF in over 7 months. I'm gonna buy 3 when I can as well, so I can have the trilogy in my collection.

I forgot this was a thing.

Honest, legit question here, no bully.
Do you think the Fnaf robots were scarier as ghost children, or when people still thought they were just regular robots gone screwy?

crazy AI is better, gives me those shodan vibes

Is this it? I try to keep all the recommendation pics I find.

I don't see KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People

Theres a severe lack of luftrauser in that pic.

Bumping with this game. Good times.

If you haven't played Eno's Laura Trilogy, do so right now.

Start with D on 3DO, may want to use frameskip since it moves slow as shit.

Then move onto D2 on Dreamcast, his magnum opus and the weirdest game ever.

If you want, check out Enemy Zero. It's a spin-off set in spess where enemies are invisible.

Also read about the shitcanned M2 game.

I'm stucked with an Athlon II x2 3.4Ghz with an AMD radeon 4670 and 4gb of ram ddr3. Can I run pic related?

Sorry I'm asking here, I can't find any info

Decided my game to play for Spookmonth this year was Pathologic HD. I had the original, but holy fuck it was unreadable. At least the HD version, in spite of being Shakespearean in how goddamn verbose it is, is actually readable.

Never played it, heard good things about it. Wish me luck.

Good luck and have fun, it's a great game

You might have a problem with your GPU, but the rest meets the minimum system requirements.

Steam page lists minimum of a Radeon HD 6790, so I think you'd be out of luck there. Sorry user.

Shit

I didn't have much hope tough, I guess I'll wait till I get my actuall pc then

QUICK
post a single horror game where the main source of fear is not danger.
hard mode: No Silent Hill

Scratches
There's no danger, it's a point and click game

Just finished FEAR 2. Missing something from the first, but slightly better gameplay.

I thought we establish that there is only one piece of dreadout porn in existence.

A few days ago, I was browsing around on a few forums trying to find a horror game to play. I've already played most of the good ones out there, so the only things left for me to play were some of the more obscure indie games. One post I saw struck me as something interesting. It was about a game called 'Escape'. The poster didn't say much, but there were a few screenshots of what looked like a point and click adventure game with photorealistic graphics. I've always loved games like Hotel 626 that used real images and video, so I clicked on the download link.
When I opened the game up, I got a title screen that looked like it was crudely made in MS Paint. It just said

Objective:
Escape

Hit ESC to begin

When I hit the ESC key, the game closed. I honestly chuckled at that. I mean, I didn't know what to expect. As I opened the game back up, I thought to myself, “This must be a troll game.”
Once again, I saw that crudely made title screen. I hit various keys on my keyboard, trying to get into the game itself. I pressed every single key in sequence, but nothing happened. This was definitely a troll game, I thought.
I hit the ESC key to close it, and it brought up a message.

You've already begun.

wew nigger

Tryin' to keep the spirit alive.

post spooky games then

Junji girls always give me boners.

Now I get to take of my boner, thanks!

Hit alt-F4

Why do RE games need spiders? Jesus dick

Isn't D2 technically his last game as well?

One of the devs making the classic RE-styled horror game throwback to slasher movies. We're at sort of an impasse.

For the length of the game, it seems like just having our slasher is going to be redundant since he's invincible by means of story and the player will pick up several weapons. However, I feel like adding in mook enemies sort of detracts from the slasher movie feel. Furthermore, we can't really come to a good consensus on what sort of mooks to add if we did.

Does anyone have some suggestions?

My pitch is that the lead character is loosing their mind and the mook enemies are hallucinations, that way you can maintain it's still just the slasher throughout.

REmake spiders are great. I love how baby spiders can escape from their abdomen when you blow it up.

That's the version of RE1 I'm playing right now, but that sounds even creepier.

I suppose in a case like that you could add a supernatural element or something.

If you're trying to create the feel of being chased by a killer, it's mostly going to devolve into chase sequences, seems like. The bear in the cabin in Condemned 2 is an example.

Wasn't there some multiplayer game last year where one player was a serial killer and the rest were victims? Might look at that one if anyone remembers the title.

I bet black cats terrify the fuck outta ya.

If you get the chance, you should kill yourself…

Crimson heads are still the spookiest enemy in that game in my opinion. Especially since there's a few already dead zombies on the ground in different places and you don't know if they'll turn into them.

No.

Add mooks that make no sense to the player. Supernatural shit that shouldn't be there and could very well have some eldritch roots. Deadly Premonition did this well.

Why not PS1 D?

You guys know any MsDOS spooky games? Other than the games everyone know, like Alone in the dark or waxworks

I'll learn Japanese one day.