ITT: Sequels that improved on gameplay but ruined everything else

ITT: Sequels that improved on gameplay but ruined everything else

I'd post Prototype 2, but to be honest you could argue that the gameplay was worse.

Arkham City and Arkham Knight both

Depends on what you define gameplay as, because the itemization was fucking trash

No doubt, I agree with you there. I mean the controls and the feel of the game are snappier. All the weapons in particular aside from one or two manufacturers are shit shit SHIT.

Knight improved literally nothing. It was a downgrade across the board.

As much as I like it the atmosphere from the original is mostly gone.

I couldn't even finish it. The levels are so shit.

What is that? Story? Atmosphere?
As long as the gameplay is good and expands on what the original offered, I could give less of a shit about those things.

Content and older features/settings/options

I'd argue that the music is better. It fits the 90s alien sci-fi theme they were going for. Shame about everything else though.

Oh. Well I can see that being a minor set back.

The music is worse
The characters are flat to say the least
The artwork of the new characters is trash (what the FUCK is wrong with your chin Yamato)
The plot makes no sense (there has been an earthquake but our speshul forces underground train still runs)
Has DLC/Spotpass distribution locked content
I'm 3 hours in and im not sure I can solder through any further.

With how grating everything looks I didn't even think it was supposed to be a theme.

SR3's gameplay was shit though. Made you too dependant on regenerating health

In SR2's out of combat regeneration and food for in-combat was perfect.

Auto-pickup of ammo and money, being able to sprint diagonally, and while I don't think they should have completely eliminated falling damage, you tended to die a LOT in Borderlands 1 from pretty small drops (that would admittedly hurt a LOT in reality). Ah well, Randy Pitchford and Anthony Burch never make anything better.

Best example

You can't ruin what was shit to begin with.

Absolutely.

SR3 was the best game in the series, in terms of characters, writing, story, gameplay, soundeffect, weapons, gunplay and character customization.

Devil Survivor 2 had much better girls

Portal 1 barely qualified as a puzzle game, having to do more portal flings and having more white surfaces did not make it more challenging.

But that's completely wrong you dipshit.

I know of games that improved everything else except completely ruined gameplay

If you think these games are even remotely challenging you are a gigantic casul

No but at least they had puzzles.

real life

/thread

The 'mash triangle to win' bits are annoying, but other than that, the gameplay's better than KH1.

that's not funny and I will end your life in 7 days.

Truth.

Nobody thinks Snake Eater was worse outside of mechanics, since the story wasn't such a meta, up it's ass thing, the soundtrack was unarguably better, and the sense of pacing was miles better.

To be fair nobody thinks DMC 4 is actually a total improvement over 3, it's just mechanically better.
Even the fandom finds the recycled levels, bosses and new story pretty lacking compared to the third.

DaS3 is arguably the most janky of the games because unless you run a fast dex build the entirety of the PvE is "let's bully the player!"

Try it again and look closer. The atmosphere is pretty damn good sans the expansion content.

I like the levels (recycled as they are), enemies, atmosphere and crazy factor of DMC4 better than 3's.

Why don't devs learn that everything can be easily forgiven in a sequel if they just add superior waifus.

Say what you will about the "jank" but it stopped a good deal of bullshit.

That's because you're a fucking casual.

It improved quite a lot the formula, even if it's "casualized"since it makes it easier, the point of the Batman games is making a lot of variations while taking no damage and not be seen, and is even more satisfying if you do it fast.

Dubs of truth.

Best example so far.

Any Zelda game is challenging, user.

But worse setting, plot, characters, DeSu 1 was great and a hard act to follow.

I skipped the R/S remakes, what exactly did they mess up?

How is this something negative or bad?

I'm not exactly sure, but it feels kind of off.

pretty much
But he forgot that various gym leaders and trainers got cuts to their teams making the games even easier.

They basically didn't do any of the things that made the other remakes so great and just made a lazy cash grab instead.

Agreed. I also hated the removal of the camera system. The game was also really fucking easy compared to the first. I liked the time constraints of the first. Encouraging multiple playthroughs. DR2, I got a perfect game first try.

My contribution: Disgaea 2.

The good
-Improved combat system

The Bad
-The charm of the 1st completely thrown out the window. No characters are likeable minus the potential fap material of Rozalin. Even still the game is just you on unfunny wild goose chases.

Because the tone of Dead Rising is pretty serious and bleak, juxtaposed by silly hats and putting buckets on zombies. I prefer my survival RPG psychopaths to be believable, yet exaggerated due to the game's setting. Meaning that Cliff a PTSD victim to believe the hardware store to be the jungles of 'Nam is believable, but a magician sawing live people in half because he wants his trick to work stretches the suspension of disbelief too far. Especially when after Chuck has to kill these people he says things like "I SAW what you did there" after Seymour dies by falling on a saw machine. It's hokey and not taking itself seriously, but trying to be badazz and cool. Once the silliness overrides the seriousness, it paves the way for bosses that use puke attacks and Dead Rising 4's mech suit.

I understood the removal of the camera system. Dead Rising was my favorite game for a long while and even I didn't use the camera all that much. Plus, I thought it'd be odd for Chuck to just have a camera and really odd for another photojournalist on happenstance to be caught in this situation.

Dead Rising, or at least I believe, is all about multiple playthroughs. It's really hard until it becomes not so much so, due to just memorization of where things are. I liked the feeling of not being able to save everyone or beat every boss until I leveled up some. It had the feeling of personal accomplishment, like I was leveling up along with the character. I had to plan things out, I had to ration things, I had to do some thinking in my survival RPG. Dead Rising with the sequels turned more and more into a beat 'em up, and with the over saturation of zombies nowadays, we need a game that can over more of a distinguished feel than just 'Press X to mash zombie'.

Point taken, I suppose the combat environmental takedowns were neat for a second. Predator sections and their additions were basically fine as well but I'm not sure I'd call it a significant improvement when it exists opposite the goddamn batmobile. The net sum certainly isn't positive.

Much smoother controls but much worse level design making the previous feel much easier to pick up whenever

You a no longer a chosen man Shaper who creates golems creatures and bosses gentiles serviles around?

Nah. Daytime outside areas, open fields, jungles and deserts, filler animal enemies (spiders, porcupines, bugs, birds). Doesn't compare to the cathedral dungeons and demons of the original. It's still a good game (gameplay is vastly superior in most aspects) but it doesn't live up to the gothic horror theme of the first game.

Agreed except for Snake Eater.

Didn't play MGS4 though.

But…

What were they thinking????

"Modders will fix everything."

Nah, fam, it wasn't. I mean, I get why'd you get that vibe from the first one, but zombie survival games in general can't be serious in any way, specially dead rising. Becoming "Wacky" was the natural way of the serie, unless you want another Resident Evil, a serie that takes itself so seriously that it's more cringe worthy.
Same case with the Jump of Saint Row 2 to The Third.

They wanted to shoe horn the batmobile since Arkham Asylum. They managed to do it, but it turned out to be shit. Arkham knight is actually the perfect example of this thread, improving it's core gameplay, but fucking everything else.

I think daytime was only the dessert one? They could have done it night time.

They have done it?

Mods are for fixing gameplay, not shit story and quests. FO4's gameplay is alright, but everything else falls apart.

Done what? Went to shit? Happened a long time ago.

Mods are for fixing what's broken or not fun in base game. Previously it was gameplay, now it's turn to add shit story and quests to the pile.

At this point publishers essentially release game engines with nonprofit agreements for people to make their own games with the assets.

Pretty much. I wonder how much lower they can go. Would something like a brochure written by ideaguys suffice?

TF2
MGSV
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within

This, this so bad

The gameplay IS nice, the maps are hard and challenging. The problem is that half of the time they're hard because you have some amazingly sub-par units, mainly Micaiah and her jolly crew of faggots save for Jill, Nolan and Laura, fuck that EDWARD IS GOOD meme.
The limited availability hindered a game that could've been much better, as well as the Occult skills, meaning that now you needed Parity or Nihil to be able to resist some attacks .

I dunno, I enjoyed the game, but the flaws make me mad the more I think of them.

You mean like greenlight "games" with modding "planned"

I mean design documents, or even scribbles in notepads that come before them.

A video recording of the Dev taking a shit and saying "this reminds me of a great concept for a game.

That's a bit too much, I think. Loyal fans need at least some written canon to serve as guidelines.

Infinite ruined everything including the gameplay.

Except a lot of people will accept somebody on the development team working on another series as meaning anything they do is canon for any other series they've worked on.

I realize it sounds retarded but more recent "engaged" (read: lazy) devs will literally allow their communities to make the canon for them and go around with the "yeah we planned that the whole time" bullshit. Those same "communities" will go around and claim a shitload of different series are interconnected because they decided it is.

Helicoptors used to be cool, now everything is magic VTOLs and super powers. Saints Row is dead.

D2 didn't change gameplay at all. It runs on the same engine.

This is your fault.

Only sort of.

It did everything better then 1 except for the loot system, but other parts of the gameplay other then the loot system are better too

wow that looks like flaming garbage, what the fuck were they thinking?

I really disliked 4's "gameplay"

Controls were improved. You had the best moves from the last game + sword powers.

Graphics were ridiculously dark, they probably never tested the game on a real TV.
It's a shame too, cause other than that the games has good spectacle.

Puzzles aren't exactly worse than SR1, but once again, the lighting needlessly confuses the level design.

No bosses, because it's a modern game and bosses are a childish thing and also periods marks aren't needed for modern writing in the same way that movies can be written in one long act instead of 3 short ones because that's the modern way of doing it and the modern ideals of early 2000s Eidos devs will always be seen as the right direction for games.

And the fucking overworld map is a giant hallway you travel back and forth through. It's like the final fantasy 13 of the LoK games

At least New Leaf fixed it. Population Growing is still the best though.

Gen6 is best played on Showdown. X was the first Pokemon game (that I've I played) that I truly hated.

Not trying to be contrarian about this since I liked both Raidou games, but what did Raidou 2 fuck up that Raidou 1 did better? The story? I can see why someone might like 1's story better, but I didn't think 2's story was worse than 1's, at least not by a significant margin.

How is it compared to the Gamecube one, aka Battle Revolution? Most of us have only played that one, but it had some really glaring balance issues. Like holy shit fuck Stun, fuck Sword Storm, and fuck Dragon.

Surprised no one posted these two fuckers here.

The way technology improves and the way modders embarrass Bethesda at every turn completing these shit games for them, you'd think each iteration would be better than the last.

Because gameplay haven't unequivocally improved. What did definitely become better: movement speed, some animations, faces.

Because they unironically made the core gameplay worse with each iteration, casualizing the everliving shit out of the core mechanics is ways that can't simply be "fixed" by mods.

I'm surprised it took so long for this to get posted

Oblivion downgrades
Oblivion improvements
Skyrim downgrades
Skyrim improvements

tl;dr each game's gameplay is better and worse in different ways so thus they don't really belong in this thread. Also in the "everything else" category I'd put Skyrim over Oblivion unless we get to count Shivering Isles.