Impressive uses of hardware

PlayStation:

Forsaken on PS1:

Post other impressive uses of underpowered hardware.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HG-NRnGp3RA
youtube.com/watch?v=BUdUQbxZIg8
atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/jaguar/jag2specs.html
youtube.com/watch?v=5do_IWbmauI
all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/02/making-crash-bandicoot-part-1/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Im gonna go ahead and say Resident Evil 2 for the Nintendo 64.

Its pretty impressive they were able to fit the game into a cartridge.

Skip to 19:50 in the video. This guy explains why the n64 version is pretty interesting can't webm because on phone

Ah forgot the video

And that's the crucial thing: the PS1 had a GPU with 3D acceleration, the sort of thing that would only become mainstream on the PC a few years later with the 3dfx Voodoo.

Shantae on the GBC still blows my mind. It would have looked impressive if it was a GBA game. Never mind that it was a great game.

Also: embed related

PAL

I've got the game and the sound quality of the voices is fucking garbage. Everything else is adequate.

I don't know why everyone is surprised specialized game hardware outperformed PC hardware, which were only a general purpose office hardware until Windows 95/98 era, and still it had to bruteforce the graphics for games until 3d acceleration was affordable and commonplace. Even Amiga shat on IBM PC for many years.

Atari Falcon

Doesn't look that impressive tbh.

The crash series look way better, especially Crash 3 looks which still looks good despite its age.

youtube.com/watch?v=HG-NRnGp3RA

The most technically impressive game on PSX is Silent Hill, just look at all the work on the lighting, look at how detailed the environment is.

youtube.com/watch?v=BUdUQbxZIg8

Many Jap games that were on PSX/PS2 still look great today

3D Game Boy Advance games.

Just pick any of them, really. I guess Driv3r's GBA port is a good place to start as it is an open world third person game on the GBA.

The nes only had one background layer to work with and if you wanted to do parallax scrolling you were limited to doing screen spits, which is basically adjusting the horizontal scroll by a offset for however many scanlines.

A trick you could do is bank switching, which is swapping out parts of the tile table with different graphics to create animation. However this uses TONS of memory as you have to basically copy and paste huge pieces of the tileset over and over.

Console level efficiency was promised. Where is it? We're still in the age of shit optimisation.

PC 3D software render engines were on par with PSX in 1993 already. By 1995 PCs without dedicated 3D chips were already rendering HD resolutions with perspective-correct texture mapping. Have a look at the PC port of Tomb Raider.
Amiga was just a cheap gaming computer with TV out in1985. It became obsolete by 1986 with the release of the Compaq Deskpro 386.

A shit dev is a shit dev regardless of what platform they're on.

which is why developers worked their ass off inventing software renderers? you're talking about niche and expensive hardware back then. nobody bothered with true 3d on PC outside business and cinematography until Voodoo

Driver on PS1. It's unbelievable how good the damage deformation, physics, and framerate are in this pitiful hardware.

I remember King Kong and Black looking better than all PS2 game ever made.

I hate everything about the PS1.

>obscenely large disk media encourages fmvs

say it with me, now
rails shooters are not games
the only good thing was introducing the first not-shit controller

with that d-pad
and those shitty R2/L2 buttons
and the original terrible non-ergonomic handles
The controller was basically redesigned halfway through because the original was shit, and to make it not-shit they stole Nintendo's design.

BTW pic related. It's the first not-shit controller ever and the best controller ever period.

Nah, pic related feels good for an 80's controller.

Try to ignore the slow as shit framerate, because it can't be helped. Now try to imagine accurately representing an actual 3D space in a Game fucking Boy

This game has some pretty crazy draw distances and map sizes.

The combat looks really good, like a polished Die by The Sword.

I think that kicked Sony off into the videogame industry like nothing else and is probably the reason why they've been able to get away with their major hardware jewing in the post PS2 generations.

It's by the same dudes. The game has some mediocre levels, and the framerate isn't fantastic in a lot of areas, but the game has a really strong beginning with a pretty good end, and some good bits in the middle. The game was rushed because of publisher bullshit, but despite that they managed to put out a good game.

I recommend it.

Atari Jaguar 2 prototype that was to be released in 1996 or so could do roughly double or more the polygons of PS1 and almost triple the processing power. The resolution is really amazing too, up to 1600x600. It's like a Sega Saturn that actually works.

atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/jaguar/jag2specs.html

I don't have a dreamcast tho. I knew that game from youtube.

obligatory vid related

lots of x86 hacks going on

IIRC the Forsaken lighting isn't real-time, it's all pre-baked. You can see that each texture/tile only lights up in a particular fashion as the light source passes it. It looks real enough at low resolution though.

Well, it did ruin gaming as we knew it. Long gone are the days where the console publishers tightly controlled quality and multitudes of exclusives which took advantage of the hardware.

Now every single shit and their mom can release games because Sony. Also disks and discs were a mistake.

False, World of Darkness is what made grimdark and gothic popular in the 90s.

I'm just glad that even if it's for misguided reasons, people are finally acknowledging that the PS1 was the worst thing to happen to gaming. Unless you like cinematic games, that is.

The PS1 is the reason we have cinematic games though.The reason that it could do proper FMVs was a big reason why devs like square hopped to it.

Which is exactly my point. If you're a piece of shit modern gamer, it's understandable that you'd still respect the PS1, as it really kicked off the mainstream movie-game and reformed the industry to make trash like Asura's Wrath or The Last of Us instead of video games.

CD is the reason we have cinematic games you gibbering imbeciles.

Developers suddenly found themselves a medium that had far more storage space than they knew what to do with, so they decided to fill it with cutscenes and uncompressed audio.

Also the soundtrack is good but the game itself looks awful.

Come on user, OP started praising a sony something. Do you really expect certain anons to not lose their shit?

developers were perfectly fine making point and clicks and text based adventures even without CDs

yeah, if you make a thread without saying "b-but PC is better!" after every pro console point the mods bump lock you, ban you for countering arguments, and the cucks swarm in

I'm sure I'm missing a few, but we've all seen this logic before and it's wrong. Unfortunatly there's a lot of newfags from cuckchan.

Halo didn't ruin jack. FPS was already on a downward spiral when it came out and the first game was pretty goddamned good.

Half Life ruined cinematic shooters, while it's a decent game in it's own right, it popularized certain conventions that went on to be total cancer.

The rest of it is your retarded fallacy. I've never heard it before your post.

The PS1 had a HUGE negative impact on video games to the point that we can directly blame almost all major problems with modern AAA gaming on it.

It gave way to consoleslike the xbox which also introduced cancerous online functionality, but that is stretching it a bit.

Fuck, I had no idea they started building on the PS1. It was well worth the weight.

Reminder that its all been downhill since 6th Gen aside from the nice tech kickoff of 7th Gen that ended in 2007.

what this nigger says
just clever design

Also the physics are better and more fun than 99% of any game with cars released recently
just look at that soft suspension

Already a thing on 4th Gen
Already a thing on 4th Gen
The PS1 played CDs and that was it, the PS2 was the culprit in that regard
Like Crash, Wipeout and Twisted Metal, right?
This is supposed to be a bad thing?
What does this even mean?
There werent even any standarts to most 3D games at the time
They've always been the main demographic you fucking retard
Welcome to being an adult.

being retarded on purpose?

Nigga, Descent 2 on PC did the same shit on a literal 486 with no hardware acceleration, two years earlier.

youtube.com/watch?v=5do_IWbmauI

You missed Shenmue

DUDE
That was the shit back then
When are those dungeon crawlers/FPS mixes in spaceships coming back?

Hopefully never
Most modern devs are complete shit and normalfags of the highest calibre.

This game does a lot of impressive stuff. For example, the Genesis can't do transparency but via some kind of brightness hack, they actually managed to do some kind of transparency effect. I'm talking about the real stuff, not dithering. This is just one of the impressive things you see in this game.

At this point I can't even tell if you're pretending or not. We've had a shit quality board for so long.

I think "publisher focused culture" must be shit like battle.net, Origin, Uplay

If you think any of that was a counterpoint you need to go back to 4chan where poorly thought out arguments pass for discussion.

It looks like hte typical "muh Nintendo did nothing wrong" post but whatever

Discs were used because they had more advantage than drawbacks compared to cartridge, cartridge had one or two things going for them and a massive list of drawbacks all related to being overly pricy, hard and long to produce and undersized.
Everything had to be cut down and or custom made to even fit on one or you had to make your game extremely simple and reduced loadtimes for the player don't compensate the massive amount of devtime you have to sink in to make it happen and the massive cost of producing the the physical copy of your game, or you're gonna tell me that having the most capable N64 devs at the time (factor 5) take almost 1 year not doing any game development and merely trying to fit a game on a cartridge is productive I'd much rather have had them do another game

Defending heavy limitations such as those imposed by cartridge is the same as claiming that consoles should have never went over a certain power threshold because it meant the devs actually had to optimize, which is basically saying to good devs that they can't have nice things because other devs can't use them properly.

Sony still has second party devs to this day and still give special treatment and additional help to devs who are willing to stick to their platforms only which is pretty much like being a second party, MS never really had any they didn't consider expendable assets and Nintendo has lost a lot of them over the years.

So? more game means more choice for me.
This also implies that somehow getting the Nintendo seal of quality was any harder to get than passing the Sony TRC which it wasn't, Nintendo simply didn't fucking know how to make a home console that was appealing to work on after the SNES (until the Wii obviously) which is why you only have a small library and mostly first and second party game at the top of it.
All of their handheld which were appealing to dev for were riddled with 3rd party shovelware.

Would have happened regardless, maybe not in the same way and maybe not at the same speed but you're a retard if you think something as big as video games would have stayed outside of mainstream.

Nice bait but really, the second you bring console wars into it I can't help but laugh. It's really like I'm on 4chan again.

all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/02/making-crash-bandicoot-part-1/
Technical stuff starts around page 3. ND really had to put a lot of work into getting Crash to run as well as it did.

"Since the soul of good Animation, is…. drum roll please… animation! We were obsessed with making ours look like that really good Disney or Looney Tunes stuff. In those days, most people used a simple skeleton system with “1 joint” weighting, and very few bones. This gives a very stiff look, so we went instead with vertex animation. This allowed us to use the more sophisticated 3-4 joint weighting available in PowerAnimator, which the Playstation had no hope of matching at runtime (until the PS2), instead we stored the location of every vertex, every frame at 30 frames a second. No one else had the guts, as while this was easy to render, it required inventing some totally hardcore assembly language vertex compressors. First me (three times), then Dave (twice), then finally Mark took a crack at it. Mark’s was the best — being the best assembly programmer of us three — but also the most complicated."

"So we decided to use an entirely SGI and IRIX based tool pipeline. In fact the game itself even ran on the SGI (with terrible keyboard control). This meant buying programmers $100,000 SGIs instead of $3,000 PCs. Gulp again. No one else did this. No one. And at the time, when a 50mhz Pentium with 8-32 megs of RAM was typical, our 250mhz 64 bit SGIs with 256 or 512 megs of RAM opened up totally different computational possibilities. By 1997 I had 4 gigs of ram in my machine! Of course some of those computational possibilities were so brutal that I had to code tools to distribute the calculations out to the video hardware, and chop it up onto all the office machines, where processing could be done in parallel 24 hours a day. Levels often took several hours to process on our 5-8 machine farm!"

Bullshit, the first 3D games appeared in the mid 80s even on shitty home computers, starting with wireframe graphics and steadily improving on them later with polygons, voxels, texture mapping etc.
We saw a decade full of software rendered 3D games on various platforms (with PC looking best), before PSX and 3Dfx introduced hardware accelerators in the second half of the 90s.

The Genesis had a poor palette selection but could shadow and highlight pixels in real time, creating those kinds of effects or by more creative developers a wider color palette.

Ranger X also had some polygon draws thanks to the Genesis's higher clock rate.

You can't possibly be this much of a retard. I want the two minutes I spent reading your nonsensical posts back but i'm going to have to settle for filtering you instead.

I'll see your polygons and raise you voxels