Remind me, how long does it take for Sonic go build enough speed to travel to a parallel universe

Remind me, how long does it take for Sonic go build enough speed to travel to a parallel universe.

Sonic can't go fast enough.

You know what i like?
When in sonic games he does the little infinity symbol with his feet when he's running while standing.
Am i the only one that likes that?
I assume sega got people complaining about it or something, because it never showed up in 90% of all other sonic games.

I don't know the exact specifics, but he was able to travel to parallel universes with a bit of work by altering the past in Sonic CD. It's not as instant as Mario's warping between PU's but he had to put in a lot less effort and didn't have to perform a ritual inside deep inside of a cave for 12 hours to do so.

No, I thought it was way past cool as hell. He does it again in Sonic Mania so I'm pretty happy about that, but he doesn't seem to have the super peel-out like he did in CD despite having the animation for it. He has the drop dash though and that seems like a fun new move to replace it with, though.

I wonder if Knuckles and Tails are going to be able to use the drop dash? Or maybe they'll have new moves of their own or they'll finally be able to use power-up shields now that Sonic has a move that's used to get around, much like Knuckles gliding and Tails flight.

I think it's just that STI didn't think to incorporate it. They would have been working on Sonic 3 at the time and they had already redone all of Sonic's sprites.

Holy shit it's true!
That's great, i mean it doesn't look exactly like sonic CD but it still look cooler than a boring normal run animation at least.

You know it's pretty ironic how Mario 64's engine supports objects and actors unintentionally traveling at 1/10th speed of light without crashing while even the fastest 3d sonic games can't breach 100 miles per hour mark and attempts to do so break the game. And they have the gait to always brag how sonic moves faster than the speed of sound or how he is the fastest thing alive.

The game will crash if you let the camera follow you though. Besides, the game just acts like Mario is where he is in the map's geometry even though he's not.

To be fair, in average gameplay, Sonic is generally more fast paced. You gotta time jumps along with the terrain so you can use your momentum to get air and launch yourself to the exact areas you want to go, and if you want to do multiple big tricks in succession, you'll have to be pretty damn fast. Mario on the other hand never really had curves in its level design; it's all pretty flat and blocky and is focused more on jumping around those blocks. The momentum in Mario is more about continuing to move and stopping for power ups here and there, and even then, it's not encouraged. Donkey Kong Country was the same, but it gave you more obstacles and gimmicks to work with and, along with the relaxing ambiance, working along with the freeflowing gameplay felt almost zen-like. I still find Sonic to be the best example of freeflowing, good-feeling gameplay in a platformer though, however.

We can argue that Mario is moving so fast that he breaks the laws of reality for a second and places himself in two places at once; one form in the parallel universe, tricking reality into thinking that that specific PU is the universe of the current one he's in, while still standing in a place in his actual universe that he's in.

And with that, we can also argue that the game crashes when the camera follows him because it's trying to go to a PU. See, the camera is told to follow Mario, and if Mario is in a PU, that camera isn't going to be able to utilize the same tricks that Mario used to warp himself. His body remaining in the current universe is almost a decoy of sorts, but not entirely. Think of it like a sleeping person; they're in their dream world, yet they still have a physical form in the real one.

The only thing that I'm wondering is, what does the parallel universe look like if we can't see it? We've seen how drastic the changes can be in Sonic CD, and that game both intended for you to go to alternate universes, and really, those alternate universes were only alternate timelines of the same universe. Mario is probably visiting something a lot more drastic, maybe even terrifying and chaotic, but we'll never know or see what he's doing or looking at.

Much like Mario being a dreaming person, I guess we'll never know if he's having a dream or a nightmare when he drifts off to a PU.

Who would win in a fight?

In average gameplay sonic is faster if you're actually good at the game.
Mario is faster if you're bad at sonic.
Mario is usually faster for casuals, basically, where sonic is harder to master in terms of keeping a consistent, high speed.

What would a fight between someone with parallel universe traveling powers and superspeed powers look like?

Didn't he do that in Brawl too, when taunting?
I liked that (if it happened)

It depends. Personally I believe Sonic would win as he has a lot more power and, hell, he even seems more experienced than Mario when it comes to fighting. Mario is tough but the power of his abilities pales in comparison to the power of Sonic's.

However if Mario can shift himself into parallel universes and if Sonic can enter debug mode and move so fast that the camera can't keep up with him, then we have a much more interesting fight. Sonic can move so quickly that reality can't even function correctly and pinpoint where he might be existing; the fabric of space wasn't meant to handle an object moving that quickly, and Sonic, using debug mode, can place items anywhere and alter his own universe. Mario can travel to other ones while still remaining in the universe that he's lived in for his entire life, almost like astral projection. This is a fight between someone who can break reality and someone who can shift into alternate realities.

Not only would it be more interesting, it'd make a much better fight to watch, as well.

You know, if a guy travels trough parallel universes, he can just go to an universe where there's a version of his enemy that's actually his friend, tell him to come back and defeat the other version, and then win that way.
Or he can just go to an universe where there's no need to fight in the first place so he can win that way too, i suppose.

If you put parallel universe travel into the equation a lot of the reasons for a fight to happen become kinda meaningless.

Superfast in 2D is just as broken as being superfast in 3D
too easy.
Plus fast only has to collect one ring to be invincible

Yeah, more or less.

Dude you don't understand
Mario doesn't even move the same way Sonic does. When he's moving, he's just displacing his cells in a way that can cause him to teleport. With enough "speed" built up he can warp to parallel universes. If Mario has prep time he can just functionally teleport wherever Sonic is and squash him. Its literally like Batman, he can always win with prep time.
Dude is fucking overpowered.

Who?

pannenkoek is a god

Another question that rises up is, if Mario can take Sonic to another universe, does that mean there would be seven more chaos emeralds there as well? We've seen what happens when Sonic gets all of the chaos emeralds; he almost becomes a god, and we can also see what happens when he gets two sets of emeralds in Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

You can travel to parallel universes all you want, but it doesn't matter how much you run away if the other person fighting you becomes godlier with each step you take. Ironic, since it's normally Sonic who does all of the running.

there are no objects in PUs

Wait was was all that he did at the start of task 2 anyway?

Actually I think Ill need a commentary track for this entire thing, I dont get why he did half of these.

>>>Holla Forums

I see, so the reason the camera crashes when it goes there isn't because it can't go there, but because an object can't exist in a PU, other than Mario's own consciousness.

Since people are memeing Mario around a single game/appearance can we also do the same for Sonic? Just think of the most overpowered/meta bullshit you can think of in relation to Sonic franchise and apply it against Mario?

Or can we drop the cancerous part of this retarded memeing and just appreciate that pannenkoeks autism makes him godlike?

sonic can travel at the speed of light in sonic 06

there was an SM64 TAS competition where players had to do things like what the tasks in the video list
pannenkoek was halfway through developing a video for a strategy for the first task, but after he explained how it worked to the people running the competition they changed the rules to ban the strategy he was using and just killed all the work he put in
all of the entries in that video are joke entries he made for the later tasks and he eventually got banned from submitting to competitions

Dunno, but the answer is probably somewhere in Flash

I'm sorry but this is a thread for scientists and philosophers, not for people who just want to play around. This is a very serious discussion.

What a bunch of faggots.

Showrunners being that salty at a winning strategy more like. Still the stuff he did to get the coins is just nuts.

If Sonic gets all the chaos emeralds from every possible parallel universe, we sorta know more or less what would happen as the end result.

Apparently 18 years.

I literally don't understand what is happening in this video.
Is there a commentary version?

Do Sonic CD's Past/Present/Future count as parallel universes?

Doesn't Classic Sonic do it in Sonic Generations?

PUs only exist assuming the collision code casts either higher precision position integers to lower precision integers, or position floats to integers. Traversing PUs can only happen if there is a bug allowing you to build up speed while remaining stationary, and if the game even lets you travel through walls.

Assuming the game does, reaching a parallel universe involves moving enough distance such that you either overflow or underflow the casted value. To reach the same position, you need to move at least the range from the minimum value to the maximum value of the casted integer coordinate perpendicular to the x or y axis.

Holla Forums can go suck a dick. Its the only thing those fags are good at.

I imagine Tails Gets Trolled will get to it eventually.

read the tasks
he's accomplishing the challenges in the most roundabout ways possible just to fuck with the competition organizers

speedrunning/TAS community is autistic as fuck. many times I've seen this kind of autism.

most recent example I saw was for an RE4 TAS video 1:35:14 NewGame Gamecube by SoulCal Umbreon. The thread on TASvideos forums was quite entertaining. They tried to bully him into submission because he wouldn't submit his video to the TASvideos youtube channel and wanted it on his own channel for the main reason to respond to comments easier.

one of the main bullying points was lack of views,

he didn't give a fuck and was just doing it for fun. Now 3 years later he has 300k+ views.

They're also good at shitposting on Holla Forums. Like this thread.

That's weird, last i checked any speedrunner and TAS runner can have their own videos on their own channel just fine.
On the "official" channels they just want a copy of it for simple, pratical purposes of organization and archiving.

Like, there's no rule against you keeping your vids on your own channel or anything, one of the runners i follow, Carcinogen, has two separate YT channels for commentated and uncommentated runs.
Maybe it's more strict in TAS circles or something.

Either that, or he wants to know how some of these glitches are happening.

Like the crash at Task 6, which happened because he spawned too many boxes. ( I had to look that up)

I'm actually both Holla Forums and [s4s], which I used to hang on back before the Exodus.

I just have too much time on my hands, and I think shitposting should have substance and be fun for both the poster and the observer, instead of it just being people going PCUCKS BTFO BLOODBORNE NEVER EVER at each other all of the time. Note how [s4s] memed back in it's prime; it was fun for both the poster and for the person reading the posts.

Sonic was killed early on in the series, and I'm not sure about Mario. It's entirely possible that Sonic could be revived at some point, with how insane the series already is.

He can do it in 6 seconds if you count underflow wrapping in Sonic 3 and knuckles

He's a goddamn madman.

No and no. The different time zones in CD only take place on the Little Planet. And Classic Sanic doesn't even do the wheel-of-feet animation in Generations, the game just adds a blur effect around his shoes to make it look like he does.

C'MON DUDE
ITS SO SIMPLE

With anything that gets popular. Speedrunning has become a cesspool of egocentric fucking morons. Almost as bad as "esports".

Anything that can potentially return any amount of money is doomed to this fate.

D4C?

Why do the jojo villains always end up getting killed in the most horrific ways?

Kek deliver us

I believe those digits confirm

He's not incorrect.

Stronger they are, the harder they fall.

How can one man be so stylish?

what the fuck kind of arcane magic is this

Still not as fast as a big rig.

Why the hell did they code in a signed integer capable of -12.3 x 10^36 mph, when you can't go past 100 mph?

Any normal old float can go to -3.402823e+38 or something around there. That's -34.0 x 10^37 in your notation, if that makes it easier to read for you.

According to the game about 10 seconds. this answer is based on my own experience with Sonic CD and LP footage.

your digits are pretty cool too