Castlevania

Talk about everything Castlevania here.

Classicvania and metroidvania fags try not to argue like children, or you're going back to your room without dinner.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/lS58D
youtu.be/bpJhJfe5f_4
emuparadise.mobi/M.A.M.E._-_Multiple_Arcade_Machine_Emulator_ROMs/Haunted_Castle_(version_M)/13545
virt.bandcamp.com/track/dracula-man-x2-alpha-turbo
castlevaniadungeon.net/games.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What do you guys think about Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness?

Lament of Innocence was an honest effort of translating Castlevania in 3d without making it suck ass, but it that had a lot of problems still.
I enjoyed Joachim mode in it more than just playing normally, to be honest.

I haven't played much of Curse of Darkness but every single person i've ever heard is of the opinion that it's the closest thing to a proper, decently designed and competent 3D translation of the Castlevania formula.
Basically apparently it's the "proper", fixed version of Lament of Innocence.

I got a new PC recently and crammed it full of emulators and ROMs. I've somehow never played either Bloodlines or Rondo of Blood. Which one should I do first?

Also: I have very vague memories of an arcade version of Castlevania. Is it worth it to try to find a MAME ROM of that to play? It seemed fairly close to the NES version from what I remember from near thirty damn years ago. But now it Haunted Castle? looks different.

Might be Vampire Killer?
Also try out Bloodlines first. In my opinion they're both excellent games but rondo has stuff like alternate paths and different characters and shit while Bloodlines only has a different character, so theoretically you'd be getting more out of playing Rondo so save the best for last.

dead franchise

By the way i just fought this boss after hearing countless horror stories about how bullshit it is.

It's not bullshit at all.
It was one of the most enjoyable bosses i've fought in a casltevania game.
It's three phases of patience, willingness to learn and adapt, with harsh, brutal punishment every time you fuck up, and then it's all crowned by one of the best boss finishers i've ever seen, the final reward for all your efforts.

It was amazing, this is not a bullshit boss, this was a fantastic boss, very lovingly designed.

Alright, will do. Seems the arcade version was a port of the NES version, and Haunted Castle was a quickly forgotten arcade only game. I must have been remembering the port.
archive.is/lS58D
Looks like it was a pain in the ass to play, but I think I will try it anyway just as a curiosity.
youtu.be/bpJhJfe5f_4

In case anyone else wants to try
emuparadise.mobi/M.A.M.E._-_Multiple_Arcade_Machine_Emulator_ROMs/Haunted_Castle_(version_M)/13545

What faggots told you it was hard? People hate because it's slow and repetitive.

People in past castlevania threads, even here on Holla Forums.
Actually it wasn't all that slow if you just collected the hammer glyph, it does quite a bit of damage to him, the angle hits him really well, it speeds him up and lands him in the rage phases much faster.
I feel like that was intended, using a hammer to crack a crab shell, makes sense.

Whippu

Curse has only one big flaw: bad level design, which is something Castlevania normally is really good at.

The rest of it is pretty cool, though I miss Lament's Castle. It does feel like Walter is trying to test his fuckery with you.

I liked Harmony of Despair, also Legacy of Darkness was a good game.

Hey, Holla Forums

I like Super Castlevania IV

You ssssuck

I liked both. I just think they both need some polish and we'll finally have a good 3D castlevania.

I think LoI castle and CoD one aren't that different in design. And yet, LoI level design is more bearable than CoD.

I don't know who told you that, every time someone mentions the boss is bullshit in castlevania threads someone shut the faggot up. The boss is enjoyable, though, one of the best in every aspect.

Is there suppose to be anything wrong with that?

Feels bad, it would the only thing I'd consider giving Konami money for at this point.

Rondo and CV3 best classicvanias

Aria of Sorrow best Metroidvania

Julius best Belmont, Shanoa best OC do not steal

btw, this SNES game looks like a nice castlevania game with guns.

Welp, at least there's still some people playing on PSN, good thing I CFW'd my PS3 only to play it.

I liked Soma better. The whole "You're Dracula" thing was nice.

Julius is the man.

What happens when developers of Castlevania jump from 2D to 3D and try to recreate the success of Metroidvania and failing spectacularly, like Classicvania to Metroidvania, it should have been its own thing.

Problems were the loading times and goddamn rooms that were boring most of the time and were pretty much empty, disorientating camera angles, little content, lack of interesting combat combos or enemies that would take advantage of the whip/weapon play(I fucking want to feel like I'm the master of the vampire killer damn it) and the storytelling on both games kinda sucked with the in-medias res, the enemy designs were good, but man, the gameplay felt like a Musou game and its pretty damn easy to cheese everything once you get a few items or make the best weapons.

I was trying to play Circle of the Moon, but it feels too slow, is Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow the same?

Getting some new stuff for Soma's semi-vampirization towards the end of Aria would've helped compound it and his boss in Dawn was a gargantuan disappointment (helped along by Dracula's second form from Rondo being fucking recycled) but Soma's interesting as a redemption arc for Mathias Cronqvist post-mortem

That nigga can whoop the newly-crowned King of Evil's ass into oblivion well into his 60s, shame they'll never get around to making 1999 so we could see Julius at his absolute prime.

CotM has dashing, which should make things a lot faster
I found HoD to be BORING, whereas AoS had a neat weapon system

Harmony of Dissonance was just pretty bad the whole way around, from music to gameplay to graphics. Hell, Juste was a boring Belmont with a French name on the heels of typically English or German names a la Trevor or Richter, and I remember some OC do-not-steal bit about his having magical talents from Belnades blood. Also friends with a ninja which was an extremely odd departure from the usual, the whole game was just a mess.

You can play as the ninja and he's one of the best alt characters in the entire series.
That alone redeems HoD in my eyes.

WHO THE FUCK MADE CLIFFSIDE ENTRANCE IN III. I'M GONNA STRANGLE HIM. FUCK THAT LEVEL.

Play baby mode the japanese version

I am. That doesn't change the fact that the level is one of the most tediously long ones in the series. That falling block section is just awful.

Have you guys played the pachinko game?

I think it's a good direction for the series, despite the naysay

It has great plot.

Hence why it's baby mode the "superior" nippon version

I wish Angela in the pachislot game had appeared in a proper Castlevania. Also, its version of divine bloodlines.

The only things easier in the jp version are Grant's daggers and one phase of the final boss.

CotM have to be the worst metroidvania, although not bad at all, is just too slow for a metroidvania and too fast for a classicvania.
HoD and AoS are way faster. In fact, you can finish HoD with maxim in a minute.

What else could he got? He already have the power of dominance, since the whole game all you did was becoming Dracula.
It might be lazy, but I thought it was cool as shit, it proved that he was, in fact, Dracula. The fight itself was piss easy and other than seeing Soma using some souls against you, it was disappointing, yeah.

They tried too hard, but the final result is, at least, better than CotM. Also, it have the "Juste's Room" stuff.

But CotM is second best gba Castlevania. HoD is worse in castle design, graphics, and music. The DSS system was also way more interesting than the magic books. It's only real flaws were double tapping to run, a few abilities that were little more than "bypass this kind of block", and the method for acquiring the cards.

CotM have worst exploration overall, which is the most important aspect of a Metroidvania. It was a shit mess between Classic and Metroid, and it has shit music.
Fuck you.

I said it had worse music, not bad music. HoD has some of the technically worst sounding music for hardware power in Castlevania. And I disagree about the exploration aspect. The twin castle was only slightly better than SotN's, and that's a pretty low bar.

I finished SotN a few months ago, loved the visuals, music, and even enjoyed what little story their was… but I was OP as fuck by the end of the game and I didn't even really do any of the secret stuff or the gnarly armor combinations. I think the only boss I even had any trouble on was that gold giant guy.

Played Lament of Innocence when it first came but didn't finish, so I don't really count it.

I'm hoping Bloodstained is alright.

What's so bad about the twin castle?

In SotN, it's the same castle as the first half, but more annoying to traverse and with seventy percent of the entire thing having the same, boring background tune. HoD is better as the second castle actually has different areas, but the layout is still the exact same as the first castle, so you're still basically exploring the same thing twice. More isn't always better.

I disagree, obviously the inverted castle was shit for that reason, but more exploring with different enemies was nice. With Juste's movement speed moving around wasn't a problem to explore both castles.
I don't like twin castles that much either, but it isn't something particularly bad, specially because it changes a lot of things. I think the only reason HoD is considered bad is thanks to the limitations of the GBA and the laziness of the devs,and even then is better than CotMin almost every aspect.

I didn't address this before, but as "interesting" as the cards are, they are shit like most of Natha's abilities and equipment. Juste's whip is boring too, but it varies more than Nathan's which is sad.

Well he has a ton of HP, but I remember there being a piece of armor you could get that would absorb his attacks.

Psst
Trevor and Sypha fuck
64/LOD still the best

If 64/LOD had slightly better controls it would have easily been a perfect transition to 3D for the series.

CotM is by far the best Metroidvania, it's puts all the IGAvanias to shame. You taste is complete shit. The enemies actually pose some difficulty and Nathan doesn't float around like he weighs 20 pounds. DSS is a great system and classes give a ton of replyability. The RPG aspects of IGAvanias are shit and are just there for mindless endgame grinding. The base gameplay of CotM is just so much better.

But CotM has the same rpg aspects. And CotM was the worst Castlevania for grinding if you wanted any of the rare cards without playing wizard mode. You only needed to grind for levels in the Igavanias if you were shit.

Except is not. Controlsare shit, exploration is shit, enemy design is fucking shit. HoD is way better in almost every aspect except in difficulty, and CotM is only hard because of it's shitty controls and escalation. In fact, you can just grind or obtain a powerful card to break the game.
Your taste is shit, your arguments are shit and so is CotM.

What's wrong with the controls?
Not baiting I have to have played through at least 20 times by now and never really had a problem

Did you emulated the game? Controls become a little better when you can emulate. Original controls were terrible,

Played N64 versions

CotM is a great game, and the final boss is one of the best of the series.

I hate to be pessimistic but it won't be. That demo was ass and the fact that there's a backer exclusive swordwhip and boss speaks volumes about the game.

People shit on SCVIV because it's easier than the other games

You're 100% right nigga

This game is the epitome of "shitty graphics, great gameplay" for me.
Also has some of the best boss-fights in the franchise.

Also, Julius Belmont Aria of Sorrow prequel, when?

the 1999 game will be out eventually exclusively for pachinko

Will it have secret scenes of Yoko and Julius fugging

only if you insert enough cash into the machine

Isnt this series just a 3d castlevania? you die alot due to it being "difficult" at first, until you realize its super easy.

No idea why would people consider it bad, then. I thought the controls were alright on emulation.

Second form looks cool, I give you that.

You can just pirate said content, user.

I think it looks pretty good.

In terms of item variety and exploration, yes. But the gameplay is pretty stiff. It is actually a pretty good 3D metroidvania.

I think the stiffness of the gameplay only adds to the CV element, since the original games were very clunky in a deliberate way, much like Souls.

Yeah, but that's for the original Castlevanias, not for Metroidvanias where gameplay have to be faster. It's like how CotM is shit only because is too stiff compared to other Metroidvanias.

Yeah kinda. Wish they would do more gaining abilities to open up new areas in areas you've already been in though, Dark Souls 2 and 3 were so linear.

Hey guys, just wanted to post that SOTN and Bloodlines are the best castlevania games.

Hector and the bosses look great, but everything else looks worse than PSX-graphics.
In that regard it reminds me of God Hand.
Not in the least saying it's a bad game, it's one of my favourites in fact.

Well I can't let a CV thread die during Holloweentober, now can I.

So guys are you still in the edgelord phase, hating on the original Lords of Shadows? As a NES era Castlevania player, I thought it was a godsend.

Is it true you guys can't even beat the original games without savestates?

It looks really nice, but feels like an even lamer God of War-clone.
Actually good 3D-Castlevanias were already mentioned in this thread.

noice

I liked it. It wasn't great but it was decent. I liked that it went back to a more traditional linear level style of play with difficulty modes and additional challenges.

Couldn't play the sequel though. The FOV was so small I was spewing within fifteen minutes.

And I've never beaten Death on NES that I recall, to my shame. I will rectify it one day.

I found the games to be good looking but kind of boring. I finished Castlevania when I was a kid and these days I'm too lazy to really play anything outside of STALKER.

You are the cancer that's killing Holla Forums

How am I the cancer if all I do is play video games?
Lords of Shadow games visually looked good but gameplay wise it annoyed the crap out of me even if I can turn off half the shit it forces on. It was just too easy too and don't tell me I can unlock a new difficulty mode after hard because I am not completing the game twice over for that.

This

/r/ing infograph on Castlevania games if there is one akin to the MGS and Metroid ones

Sorta, but only Bloodborne truly comes close to being almost a "what if" scenario where the Castlevania IP was translated into 3D and handled by actual competent devs.

Somewhere among all the alternate realities there's a reality where Miya got the Castlevania IP and BB was straight up a 3D castlevania with Souls mechanics.
I'd like to live in that reality, instead of this shitty gay ass reality where Konami is fucking dead and Iga is trying to sell us his shitty indie project and starved vania fans are eating up his scraps.

Then it's not castlevania.

Loved the first Lords of Shadows. Was a godsend for me too.
Mirror of Fate feels like a really watered down metroidvania. Playabe but not mindblowing.
Haven't played LoS2 yet, but even the creators believe the first one is better. Still going to play it.

I can't beat death in I and III without dying more than 100 times. Then again I'm not really good at games, but I enjoy them anyway.

Mirror of Fate is probably the worst metroidvania ever made. In the genre.

If not the worst than one of the worst.

LoS2 is shit.

Lord of Shadows remains the only game to get me to fall asleep during gameplay. It was a sterile and unoriginal experience gameplay and level design wise, but it did look nice. Also the soundtrack was completely forgettable.

If they kept the art team, but fired everyone else and hired different devs it could have been a good game

Underrated waifu

Yes.
Zelda Ocarina of Time was more Castlevania than this shit. modded Oblivion could be a far better Castlevania experience than this shit I've even seen minecraft maps that feel more Castlevania than LoS. Fuck that piece of crap and that shitty convulsed edgy story with those WoW-tier designs. that art tho

virt.bandcamp.com/track/dracula-man-x2-alpha-turbo

Best Belmont

LoD was fun, to a point. I remember a section of the game, where you jump on columns based on runes in a pattern, and any wrong column would kill you
It was that point in LoD I stopped since it felt like the game had been dragging it's feets

Muh nigga
Curse of darkness was a fucking rad game
Even had Trevor alongside everything else

You've baited me hard enough to see this thread, so good on ya
And yes, the only good thing out of that was the combat cross

castlevaniadungeon.net/games.html

This game is really, really pretty