I love Sunshine, it's by far my favorite platformer and mario game...

I love Sunshine, it's by far my favorite platformer and mario game, but I always wondered why the goop mechanic becomes almost unused in the second half of the game

It's used a lot in the first moments of the game, pretty much every stage has it, but then it just goes away almost completely
Is there an explanation for that?

also sunshine is better than 64, fite me

it's easily the worst 3d mario game ever made, but the reason why everything is so under-developed and poorly realized in sunshine is because the game was rushed and nintendo shat it out without letting the team finish it. As such it's short, repetitive, and has terrible level design.

That's a lie tbh

that it was rushed so it turned out poorly? No, it's pretty well documented. Sunshine is a half finished game.

that it turned out poorly and has bad level design
It's by far the most fun to play and the one with the most original and best designed levels

oh yeah it turned out terribly, tons of empty space in gigantic levels that are not conducive to good platforming. Hey, at least everything looks the same, sounds the same so there's no sense of variety so you get bored faster and drop the game and move onto something good.

I love Bane, he's by far my favorite big guy and batman villain, but I always wondered why CIA becomes almost unmentioned in the second half of the movie
It's used a lot in the first moments of the film, pretty much every frame has it, but then it just goes away almost completely
Is there an explanation for that?
also Bane is better than CIA, fite me

Tell me about Mario. Why does he wear the hat!

Yeah, Mario cleans it up. It's part of the story. Just watch the opening

How was it any different from Mario 64 in that sense? Only level with a lot of open space and no platforming is Gelato Beach.

every level in mario 64 has deliberately constructed, tight platforming sections and the game does excellently at encouraging how the player engages with them. Sunshine flubs and bumps around awkwardly with a fludd pack attached and does little to make itself any fun with its inconsequential level designs and its bland use of environment geometry.

Don't respond to the autist. No one can hate Sunshine that much unless they are some contrarian faggot.

Best to worst:

I bet Rosalina's your deciding factor for that

explain

It was nothing but reused assets and cheap padding gameplay. The Green Star hunt as a reward for 100% was pure shit. The entire game felt joyless and the additions were usually pretty thinly laid.

That being said it's still a solid game. Galaxy 1 was just so much better.

galaxy 1 had much less cohesive level design than galaxy 2.

1 was harder and had a decent story

why bother

It was close, but the Ice/Flower Skating was fun, and yoshi a shit

Story isn't required for a videogame but having it was the extra push to make it better.
It made the pay off of winning the game that much better.
Also people say they watch TV for stories and yet they are all shit so why can't I enjoy a story from a videogame?

It really didn't. The levels in 2 were often to large or did a bad job of using some of the featured mechanics. That and most of the Bonus Universe levels were shit. The Callback Galaxy being a good example. The levels in 1 were more iconic anyway. I can probably tell you about 3 or 4 levels in 2 where as I an recite most of the levels in 1.

I though you fags died in the 20th century
kys m8

pls go and stay go Holla Forums
Huis Clos was a pretty good play, though. I'll give you that.

Have you read only children's books your entire life?

Sunshine is the best Mario game in that it has the most sophisticated gameplay and movement mechanics. You have more options for jumping around and manoeuvring than any other mainline Mario game, and these options can be combined with the FLUDD for even more options. That being said, it's the worst because these mechanics are, truly, almost unnecessary to actually beat the game. There are a handful of jumps in Bianco Hills which require Mario to change direction in midair (the FLUDD's biggest addition to the core gameplay), and there are one or two grates in Rico Harbour where you can do the same thing, but even in that case it isn't necessary to get any shine sprites.

You ever watch a speedrun of Sunshine? There's a category called hoverless, which prohibits the use of the hover nozzle; if your game can be completed without the use of one of its iconic gameplay elements, it needs to be rethought.

Most of the jumps and levels in Sunshine are just fuckhueg with a lot of open space, since the FLUDD dramatically extends Mario's ability to cover horizontal space in the air. There are a lot of weird objectives, too, especially in Gelato Beach (I think that's what it's called) and the hotel area: the giant wiggler boss fight is fine, but the watermelon pushing is astonishingly poorly programmed, and the mirror alignment for the sand bird is needlessly cryptic since the game expects you to treat it like a physics-based puzzle all of a sudden.

Mysterious Hotel Delfino is a terrible shine sprite. Even when you know what you're doing it'll take you upwards of ten minutes of pointless running around inside a cramped environment with no interesting jumps and a shitty camera. I don't know about you, but I don't associate cramped indoor environments with fucking Mario platforming. I don't associate long-ass waiting times between trivial jumps, either. Temember getting Yoshi in Delfino Plaza, waiting for the boat, jumping on, waiting for the boat again, jumping off, all for a warp pipe? Temember having to swim the fuck back if you missed either of the jumps? Remember the no-FLUDD level underneath the mushroom village which took minutes to reset?

Honestly, I don't dislike Sunshine. It was my first mainline Mario game and I do remember it fondly, but it doesn't hold a candle to 3D World, let alone something more pure like SM64 or more polished like Galaxy. Sunshine feels more like a bizarre Zelda game in some places than it feels like a Mario game; I enjoy seeing Nintendo try new things and innovate (especially at a time when they were guilty of a lot of the memetic rehashing people accuse them of), but Sunshine needed more time in the oven or a fundamental reworking.

I'm a chuckster!Fuck that level.

This.

Jump to 13:13

I was wondering how long it'd be before Matt's video showed up. I wish he'd upload more; he's one of the only people I've seen comment on Nintendo's innovation.

I like how I knew exactly what that video was when I clicked on it

So you knew it was shit?

You'd probably also like this guy's videos.

what disappointed me the most about sunshine was how few moves mario had in sunshine compared to 64

while most of them were superfluous it left me with an impression of "theres just not as much to this game" that i could never shake.
i had fun with the turbo nozzle at least, in the handful of instances i actually got to use it.

Discovering a new vidya critic is a great feeling. Thanks.

Yeah and there are well written childrens books.

I swore off Nintendo and their faggotry when I finally realized they would never do shit like Sunshine again.

thank god, sunshine was a huge mistake.

oi say that to me face ye cunt

sure, get close to the monitor

sunshine sucked, it was a mistake, and there are better mario games

SHINE GET!!!

sunshine is the stupidest fucking game

if you didn't throw the game in the trash at that point, you're a fucking filthy nip

the gamecube was very unpopular in Japan, nips knew better than to put up with Nintendo's 6th generation failure cube

Oh, go away """henry"""

This is a bullshit arguement, because this is the case with every game once you get technical enough in stuff like speedruns, because they aren't ever done in the way the game was designed for. That's why they are fast, because they break the game

This isn't a bad thing, at least not necessarily.

The fact that the levels and the whole game feels like an actual lived in place with definite locations and the atmosphere is a huge part of what's great about sunshine, and the higher degree of horizontal level space is a part of that

They're fucking autistic speedrunners with nothing to do, and should not a metric for anything.

yea but it's entertaining as fuck. If you're not impressed I don't know what's wrong with you.

Well, at least they are playing videogames instead of autistically discussing them on an imageboards. Also, memes or something.

sunshine is unfinished but it is still superior to galaxy because of the variety of movement options making it more fun to play, the same reason why 64 beats galaxy not that any are bad games

honestly half of the complaints in this thread are recycled script from that irish cunt, it's disappointing even if legitimate enough but the fella lacks creativity and skill when playin' and it shows in his deconstructions

Zero Punctuation was a mistake.

Game's unfinished. Simple as that.

Seriously, half the game's levels are putrid, vile shit. Hotel Delfino and Gelato Beach are, hands down, the worst offenders.

Don't forget the final boss battle is a ONE STAGE affair. You drag yourself through Corona Mountain just to have Bowser complain about you interrupting his family vacation and you beat him in two minutes flat. Very anti-climatic.

Windwaker shares a lot of the problems for a similar reason: they're unfinished. Rushed. Incomplete. Unpolished. It's why Galaxy and Twilight Princess are better games, even if they're less adventurous in terms of design.

people like you are the reason why Color Splash and Sticker Star exist

purge all shiteaters

because I like good games?

Uh, user? There's this thing called pacifist runs that speedrunners tend to do as well. Defeating enemies is one of the core elements of a lot of games, including those. Hell, the first Mario is one of them. It's almost like you're full of shit.

That means SM64 is ruled out since panen is literally one A press away to beat the game without jumping, and the entire 120 stars require less than 30.
This is a retarded argument.

the topic isn't 64 or the Galaxies, so no.

i dont know he was able to beat devil may cry 1 dante must die with out taking any damage

But 64 sucks, has terrible camera controls, boring ass stages and Galaxy 1 is the only good galaxy

I liked the game too OP.
The answer though is that it was rushed.
SM64 has literally double the levels with the later ones being more difficult.
Sunshine devs only completed the first half of the game so the difficulty curve never gets anywhere. You can easily notice this if you consider that Pianta Village (the "last" level) is the only one with bottomless pits. And that a lot of the secret challenge areas are way tougher than anything in the main game.

Only if the game is glitchy. In solidly programmed games, the objectives becomes optimization of gameplay. 100% categories are better for this, and I find them better to watch than any% categories. Kirby 64 has no glitches, so the best way to beat it is to optimize gameplay - this means skipping a lot of enemies, but you still have to mess around with the copy ability mixing and defeat a lot of enemies along the way. It's a lot faster than normal gameplay, but it's still a relaxed action platformer.

You're getting altogether too hung up on the speedrunner aspect: anyone could complete the game without using the hover nozzle or abusing glitches (of which Sunshine doesn't really have any). The core gameplay mechanics just aren't core.

Why should a Mario game prioritize worldbuilding over good platforming?

He does that through TASing. It's not something a human being could do, whereas hoverless is.

[citation needed]

WOULD YOU PLEASE STOP?

I thought it was fun.

It does? That was one thing that I got bored of pretty quickly.

Also, Mario's movements don't feel right with the thumbstick. It wasn't perfect in 64 but it feels pretty inaccurate.

I'll repeat it again, you can beat the original Mario without ever jumping on an enemy. So by your logic, jumping on enemies is not a core element of Mario games and should be removed, or they're bad for including it.

I'm more forgiving when it comes to the first Super Mario Bros. than I am Sunshine. Nintendo should have known better by the time Sunshine was released.

Killing enemies increased your score in Super Mario Bros. The goal wasn't to beat the game, it was to get the highest score.

Bullshit, the goal is to save the princess. The score is purely there to increase replayability and because back in those days there was a notion that games needed to have a scoring system to be games in the first place.

That's about the worst argument I've ever heard. Many games today can still be played with pacifist challenges, including Mario games if you don't count bosses. If anything a game is better if it allows for challenge runs like that. It's not like hoverless is a simple feat, especially 100%, requiring a ton of use of advanced movement methods and occasional unintended abuse of momentum. Many of those advanced movement methods aren't required for beating the game normally either, so again by your logic they should have been removed. But that would have made the game less fun, proving once again that your argument is retarded.

Keep telling yourself that, famo

I got the game a week after release from a friend. I never watched any of Yhatzee's shit. I'm not saying it's entirely rehashed but a good portion of it is. And it certainly has that feeling. Fuck the ending alone should tell you they were running out of time and just wanted to push something out.

That's true; my mistake. I had forgotten exactly how tricky it is to use the zoom in feature to abuse wall jumping. However, I do want to reiterate that my initial point of Sunshine being too easy due to the hover nozzle still stands, and I do hold the game to the standards of its time even if it was half-finished, rather than the more lenient standards of the NES.

The score is there because Mario Bros. was an arcade game where the goal was to get the highest score. Super Mario Bros. is a COMPETITIVE two player game- your goal is to score higher than the other guy.

Killing enemies raises your score, that's why it's a core mechanic. Avoiding killing them means you'll have a lower score than the other player unless you can get farther in the game than them.

Needs two more background Gondolas.

Actually, Mario DOES wear the hat since in Mario 64 he takes pain.

So it is indeed very painful

Anyone who removes Mario's hat gets their ass kicked.

So it is indeed extremely painful for them

Nice job user.

bretty gud