Emulators' graphical settings

How do you gay/v/irgins play your emulators?

I personally prefer no filters here. I think the pixely graphics look awesome. I don't like applying anything to them, not even scanlines.

I apply hqx filters here. For some reason, these don't look so nice without filters, like 8 bit games. Didn't mess much with scanlines to really find something I liked.

Still gotta figure this shit out. I heard the best emulator nowadays was Mednafen, which supposedly surpassed epsxe. Is this true?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NpvW_MnuKGY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sorry, meant to specify I was referring to PlayStation 1 with 5th gen. I haven't mesed much with Saturn yet but I'd love to.

nearest-neighbor integer scaling.
upscale but keep aspect ratio.

bump

I only really use original hardware, and find the games look best running on a CRT with pretty strong scanlines. Applying filters to classic games or stretching them destroys the visuals

I've never fucked with anything of the sort, compounded by having a toaster for later gens. Closest I've ever gotten is piddling with resolution in Dolphin/PCSX2.

This board has gone to complete shit.

Your input is greatly valued and appreciated.

Nearest is always the best choice.

It depends on what you want out emulation, OP. If you want crazy good accuracy, Mednafen is good. If you want upscaling and beautiful 3D for PSX games, PCSX-R with PGXP. I think Yabause is similar, though not as complete and the Saturn doesn't have has good capability for 3D. I haven't really messed with Project64 but I know there are higher resolution textures available for a few games. PCSX2 and Dolphin, I just increase the internal rendering resolution like crazy and they still come out well.

Pretty much unless you care about increasing the rendering resolution then you should be looking at PCSXR PGXP, depends on whether you like the smooth as fuck look vs the wobbly and dithered look.

If you're willing to fuck around with retroarch you get a few extra like overclocking and the possibility to slightly increase resolution on mednafen, they're also working on a GPU accelerated renderer that also has the PGXP stuff but it's very preliminary for now.

they are

Do tell us what's bad about the picture I posted then.

I try to use tv filters for most everything pre-3D, anything else makes things look too sterile for me. I used to like upscaling at a point but can't stand it now.

I don't know what metroid zero mission looks like regularly

I run classic games in rgb or ypbpr, and having scanlines is usually enough when you're getting accurate color data. Frankly its a lot better than artifacts from rendering. scanlines also help.

Let me help with that then.

Bilinear filtering, 2x resolution, scanlines
640x480
Native monitor resolution, if it's a Gamecube game use Ishiiruka and tweak its specular and rim lighting settings

misrepresents the developers vision, also your filtered color balance really hurts the previously contrasting colors. Looks worse. Just makes everything appear much more bland.

The dev intended for his game to be played on an handheld screen, handheld screen desturate and darken the colors a lot hence the filtereds image is closer to what was intended than the second.

if that's the point it's getting to, you are better off playing it on a handheld anyway.

Why would I torture myself with a minuscule screen, I just want the confort of my screen without the retina destroying neon bright colors of the uncorrected emulation.

comes down to subjectivity at that point. If you're going to argue faithfulness don't be a halfass about it.

just let preferences be preferences user. because while i don't use colour correction filters myself (i tend to go for scanline filters or LCD filters depending on various things), i will say that if you start getting that anal, you start getting into the "square pixels or non-square pixels" territory that something like the SNES causes fuckery with.

Not really, the gameboy player also had builtin color correction so It's pretty clear to me that you were never meant to see the colors as they were.

Yeah you're right I need to have those crappy LCD lines and motion blur too, see much more faithful.

you're already emulating, as far as I'm concerned you're on the other end of the spectrum when it comes to accuracy and faithfulness.

it's just a fun argument

Still not a reason to ignore the context in which the games were made, but as all real hardwarefags you wouldn't even recognize emulation in a blind test.

nah its usually very easy to tell, considering emulatorfags have a tendency to absolutely bastardize anything they're playing, and remain ignorant to all the flaws of emulation.

It really isn't unless you have actual prior knowledge

Don't tell me you're one of those "if you beat it on emulator you didn't really play the game" fag?

I wouldn't trust any real hardwarefag knowledge on emulation, it wasn't that far off that /vr/ thought ZSNES or NEORAGEX were relevant.

considering how people still use zsnes, I'd say it's relevant in a sense, and I think if you beat a game on an emulator it can very much mean you didn't really play the game. Emulators offer a lot of safety nets that a lot of emulator users abuse. Things like rewinds and save states are a bit of a joke. It's even worse when people do it for like 30 minute games like many shmups or arcade titles. Yeah, yeah, I get it, it's convenient to have a save at the start of a level or something, but sometimes games are so short you don't need it. There's a point where you need to get good and not rely on safety nets and emulator fags often miss this entirely.

As far as distinguishing between the two, it can be very easy. If you're running bsnes on a PC with an old ATi card and the custom ATi drivers on a proper 480i crt outputting a 240p image, it's pretty difficult to tell.

If the emulator has a good/faithful NTSC shader, I use that. Most games of that era were designed with CRTs in mind and a lot of graphical effects only works on a CRT (or on a shader that emulates it).

Jack up internal resolution, hack some 16:9 support if possible, use HD texture mods if available. 6th gen was a transitional gen from CRTs to HD and I found that most of its games actually look best by simply making them more sharp and throwing fidelity out of the window.

Those I usually just play without filters, even if some games look ultra saturated and shitty. However, I've never found filters that actually look good in motion.

hd texture mods kinda ruin the game. Also I think you need to see how those systems look on a good CRT with rgb/yipper before you make a solid assessment. I have a gorgeous LCD and running Wii games on it thru yipper is nothing compared to a broadcast monitor I have now.

if you're referring to halfchan /vr/ then they've almost always been ignorant as fuck
see: "BUT THE DREAMCAST IS A 6TH GEN CONSOLE SO IT ISN'T REALLY RETRO THEREFORE IT'S BANNED FROM DISCUSSION ON HERE"
and if you remember half/v/, you couldn't have a good discussion on dreamcast at the time at all.
yeah. /vr/ were stupid faggots or at least the mods were i haven't visited halfchan since the GG exodus

sprite based games I play unfiltered, no scanlines since it tends to come off looking cheesy, old 3d games need all the fucking help they can get though.

I can get behind that, savestates are really just for the emergency cases or when the game has atrocious load times/save times which is rare until CD based console.

Not exactly a safety net per-say but I admit I had a hard fucking time not using KB to play Super Metroid/Fusion/ZM it makes walljumping really easy, it took me a good amount of time getting anywhere near as consistent on the pad and that's with a decent Dpad

There hasn't been any real efforts towards a good one, which is a shame, actually making textures that look better but still respect the aesthetics of the game is really fucking hard (just look at the HD texture fanpack for RE4, they've been going at it for years now), especially with low poly low detail games.

Yeah, I dropped right around the time where their emulation general were basically Rpi emubox shilling general.

as far as HD textures go, it's in the not worth it category for me. Too often they deviate from the intended look of the game, and most of the time there's never anything wrong with the default textures. It's the purest and most irritating form of graphics faggotry to me and shows no appreciation for the work the developers put into the original aesthetic.

I think there may be value in resolution corrected hud elements, but at the same time, original hardware has no problem with this when played on a good display.

Then why are you using a CRT TV?
Many games for NES and SNES were not made for 4:3 aspect ratio and get stretched.

I have a question about PCSX2, perhaps you guys can help. I was playing the first Way of the Samurai game on it, it works fine. But at some point I came across a door that I had to open, but whatever I do I can't open it, nothing works. I searched on internet and people say that the button to pick up things should open doors, but no it doesn't. Does anyone know what might be causing this and how can I fix it? Ever came across a problem like this? I don't have any hacks active or anything like that, on emulation settings I use the second preset(safe), OpenGL HW

To this point I didn't even know that I could open doors, I assume I missed lots of shit because of this

who cares nintendo sucks

Pretty sure there's hardware mods that correct that now, or you can just not stretch the image on your TV which shouldn't be hard with a good monitor.

Make sure you buttons are properly mapped and your buttons works, make sure your copy of the game is properly ripped (and if you're using your actual CD stop doing that), other than that if you're using presets I don't see what could be the problem, maybe try another version (latest stable or latest GIt)

Yeah it's PCSX2.

The problem I have with HD texture mods is how they don't bother to make the textures in the game world less repetitive

If my understanding of textur replacement is right you cannot do much more than replace one texture by another, you cannot replace a group of texture by a single one nor can you replace different instance of the same texture by totally different textures or at-least not with any real control of what it will look like in game that is (you'd need to find a way to identify where a specific instance of a texture is gonna appear which isn't possible as far as I know).

Graphic settings are personal preferences after all, even if some one doesn't even care about aspect reimu and stretches a 4:3 to 16:9 people still has and must have the option to do so.

Pixelated shit on LCD looks bad tho, get a real CRT you anti - filter cucks

As someone who wasn't loose nutrients to be absorbed and transformed into sperm when consoles like the SNES came out
The lowest kind of pleb is the one who gets butthurt because people use image filters to get decent resolution or image quality on old games unless it ends up looking like that one donkey kong picture

any filters related to "anti-aliasing"/smoothing of pixels are instant cancer

I just use crt-geom-deluxe at the default settings as supplied by MAME

the problem is lcd

I use retroarch either on my Wii or 360 plugged to a CRT with no filters (those are for faggots) and i just sometimes enjoy to stare at the Mega CD bios or use it as background noise.

have you figured out a way to get retroarch to do proper 240p for games

Can any of the existing emulators actually improve the games they are emulating?

Many older games would chug if there were too many sprites on the screen.

Have we had anything that has gone above and beyond simply emulating 1:1? It's a chief complaint I have with jew companies releasing old games with zero fucking improvements.

sometimes but they introduce other problems.

Your NES shot looks like ass. Use a CRT shader.

SNES won't look like ass if you use a CRT shader so you won't have to blur it with that ugly waterpaint filter.

The best

I prefer completely unfiltered for all things. I've never liked anti-aliasing in computer games either.

The left is not "normal" actually. The N64 used a bilinear filter.

Just because I like emulation and to be generous with the graphical settings and resolution doesn't mean that I'd defend shitty "HD" texture packs that bastardize the original art style beyond just adding AA and AF.

Things look shitty to me if I put a filter on anything, I just dicked around with Rockman 4 MI on FCEUX and there's an automatic filter I couldn't figure out how to turn off. I don't mind the look of raw pixels at all, I mean I'm fucking emulating it I really don't need to try and delude myself that I'm playing it on an old TV.

For DOSbox I use

fullresolution=desktop
output=overlay
aspect=true
scaler=none

The overlay hardware scaler normally used for upscaling low resolution video almost faithfully recreates the look the games had on a VGA CRT monitor. No fancy shaders needed.

Has anyone tried recompiling the roms and writing them to suck less?

Nope, i guess that some fiddling around with the core settings could do the trick.

that's an absurdly complex task and it's not worth fucking with any of it

I fucking love this game.

A great example I think is comparing Star Fox 64 unfiltered to the real thing on an N64. I've always felt like the emulated version with that stupid blur filter taken off looks so much better it's shocking.

i whip out my wii and use the virtual console and live it comfy

the n64 is a ridiculously crippled console and easily produced the worst looking games of the 5th generation despite its dedicated 3D hardware. Even the Saturn and it's terrible 3D support had far better looking 3D games than just about anything on the N64 - almost entirely due to the N64's god awful video output, anti-aliasing, and texture filtering.

ayy lmao?

One of the following:
1. (Perfect) NTSC filter, preferably accurate to the system to get correct aspect ratio and blurring effects for shadows/transparency.
2. (Good) A simple filter like nearest neighbor or bilinear to take the sharpness off the pixels.
3. If stuck using a very shitty emulator without the above options, I usually go with plain pixels.

I want the game to run and look reasonably accurate. Don't care about higher resolution for 3D games or other enhancements. Dislike filters like HQX.

I usually just play with the default settings or an NTSC filter like on a CRT monitor. I have USB adapters for NES, SNES, GC, and PS controllers so with the filter it feels just like plugging the actual system into my monitor. I usually stretch it regardless of the display, since it would most likely be stretched with original hardware.

You have to know assembly and the code would be undocumented so you'd have to figure out what each part does by yourself. A few people have done it though. There's one for Castlevania II, and SMB3Mix was made by disassembling the ROM iirc.

who on god's green earth thought those looked even halfway decent

Might be a CRT monitor user

Is there a 64 emulator that can run Gauntlet Legends properly yet?

Nearest neighbor, upscaled to the highest multiple that fits my resolution, correct aspect ratio

>you will never, ever netplay the best version of Gauntlet Legends

But is the worst version. Gamecube all the way.

I mostly just do Lanczos x4 or x6, looks exactly as the games i used to record on VHS. It fails to process some dithering tho, and dithering shaders + lanczos only causes errors.

posting random pics

I said Legends, and no, it is the best version.

And I have the Gamecube port of Dark Legacy, the amount of bugs it has is absolutely infuriating. It should have been amazing but it's impossible to enjoy because there's just so damn many bug.

Well then play it on the PS2 or Dreamcast, anything is better than the N64.

3d gets cleaned up to a decent extent when it runs through modern graphics drivers/libraries that let you tack on anti-aliasing or post processing that couldn't be done on the native hardware.

But there isn't much that can be done for 2d. Most emulators theoretically have an option to remove the limit on number of sprites on screen for things like the NES and try to reduce the sprite flickering. But it was generally done through software, intentionally, so it's not the easiest thing to just emulate around.

Glad I was born with functional eyes.

Not entirely true either, as bilinear filtering implies 4-point filtering (cubical) while the N64 uses 3-point filtering (triangular)

Bilinear/hq4x filters are fucking cancer, they make the games look bland.

Emulators when, bros? I don't want to buy all of them for Ninja Gaiden, Demon's Souls and Catherine.

I only emulate 8 and 16 bit, and I don't use filters. I prefer pixel-perfect as possible. Boring I know.

As a side-note, doing pixel art is way fucking harder than I thought it would be, even when intentionally limiting yourself to an NES palette and tile size because you're only a one-man band.

youtube.com/watch?v=NpvW_MnuKGY
i'm waiting for it too nigguh. cxbx reloaded is apparently getting progress though.
i've swapped my crystal's HDD twice now and i don't know when my xbox will bite it
i haven't been testing recent builds of Xenia myself but i didn't see much progress when i was testing.

i've seen experiments to automatically recompile/rewrite nes roms to C using the knowledge and code from emulators, but now you just gave that a reason to exist. I don't think anyone is that autistic though

Kill yourself