Playing through Bloodborne now, it's fairly difficult to believe that it was released BEFORE Dark Souls 3

Playing through Bloodborne now, it's fairly difficult to believe that it was released BEFORE Dark Souls 3.

In fact when I went back to play Dark Souls 3, I immediately noticed how grey the world was and how dull and excessively, needlessly large and clunky the UI was.

It's not even the combat system that gets me, it's all the other little details that show there was clearly a lot more love and care put into Bloodborne whereas Dark Souls 3 feels like the developers only just barely cared enough to add in a few stupid easter eggs for obsessive lorefags to pore over so they'd buy all three versions of the game on every console and all the upcoming DLC as well.

Is FROM really that tired of Dark Souls?

Other urls found in this thread:

darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Poise
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

after taking a rest from making tons of robot games, they finally got to make a swordman game. then they were told to make that game over and over again. go figure

DS3 is the worst of the lot, it's a bastard child between Dark Souls and bloodborne and couldn't make up it's mind what combat system it wanted and in the end turned into a mess.

Hopefully they will dump the IP and go back to making Armoured Core again hopefully with a few PC ports.

No matter what, Dark Souls 3 will always be better than Dark Souls 2. But yeah its not impressive in any way. Its pretty much a third rate Dark Souls.

Dark Souls 2 is just a giant mess.

The DLC for DS3 will show everyone that it is the superior product to DS2.

No it won't because you judge a game by its own merits. Not for the jewish extra content you pay for.

Bamco published DaS1/2/3, the first of which was in development before they picked up the IP.

Sony published DeS and BB.

It's fascinating how much better bloodborne looks over dark souls 3.

I don't think publisher really has much to do with it.

You should because they set time constraints through budget agreements which basically in the end decide what content is cut, what content is DLC, the teams that develop the games based on paygrade, and the amount of upkeep put into online service.

Then you can't blame the latest fuckup on bamco because its not those things that are the reason the game is so shit.

How is a tighter budget being watched far more strictly by outside sources not a source of a decrease in quality?

You've played DaS, 2, and 3. You've played BB.
You can see the difference for yourself.

The fuck is From even thinking?

Bloodborne is the only good game in this "series".
Demons' Souls was trash
Dark Souls is overrated trash
Dark Souls 2 is dogshit
Dark Souls 3 is also trash. Slightly better in ways than 1, slightly worse in others than 1, but still trash.

Doesn't affect basic gameplay elements the devs decide on. Doesn't affect things like lack of poise and Soul Memory. Doesn't affect a lot of things that are wrong with the franchise. Stop strawmanning that it can't have any impact when I clearly stated that it can have impact, but clearly isn't the reason Dark Souls 3 is shit.

No, but it does affect the quality of them in the transition from ideas.

An almost completely different development team does though. Which is also more than likely tied to budget.

I've explained every one of my points and shown how they are tied to the original statement which is quite clearly the focus of our discussion.

I love her eyebrows, they make me horny as hell.

So its not related to the publisher. Thanks for proving my point.
Fuck off retard.

He's not as big a memer as you are right now.
Bludbork is pretty alright but lacks build variety. DaS also lacks build variety but doesn't have the slick combat system or distinct visuals of bb to compensate.

Okay you're clearly angry and have no valid counterpoints. I hope you have a nice day.

The souls series are best enjoyed as single player games anyway

Ok.

Then BB is pretty sloppy.
The DLC makes a ton of builds even exist

Yep.

I don't like the souls games at all but I love Bloodborne.

Those things are too sexy.

So PS4 or Pro? I keep praying for a port or some genius to figure out a way to play it on a PC (since a lot claims that the reason the P$4 and XBone is built similar to a PC is ease of port) but I don't see any good news at all so far.

Bloodborne is pretty great but build variety is effectively nonexistent without the DLC. So much so that I would say that most of the dlc weapons should have been included in the base game.

Chaika. Cute.

for Just BB?
Don't bother, the game's pretty mediocre.
If there's other shit, just go normal PS4. BB's framerate is flat awful 90% of the time, and I really doubt they're going to optimize it for the pro so it's gonna be the same

They're focusing on muh 4k maymay at a silky smooth 30 fps so just go for the vanilla model, it's going to go down in price once the pro comes down anyone so you'll be able to pick it up on the cheap.

It runs better than it did at launch. There was a bug that froze the game every two seconds as you passed through an invisible boss "door". Audio would spike with huge blaring static blasts too. Killed my ears with headphones on.

Sony will never allow it to be ported to the PC, And never buy any console just for one game that's just a colossal waste of money, wait until they're cheaper.

It's still pretty awful, sub 10 in a lot of areas, but yeah it's better than it used to be.
the 10 minute load times will not be missed

See, I buy games for the PC for the superior experience and quality. Unfortunately the only Souls that's worth it on the PC is the first one for content and second for PvP only. I don't really care about PvP since it gets boring once you get lagstabbed/parried many too often. Looking at BB makes me so mad at Sony for doing such an outrageous thing and seal it in a tomb called the PShit4. Will this be possible to emulate in the future?

Sure in like 20 years maybe. Or maybe sooner but it will take some time for it to happen regardless.

But don't actually buy a PS4pro whatever you do that's just a waste of money.

A-at least I'll have weeb games to play when they come out. And "Not" Spider-Man 2 when it comes out. When it comes out. When it comes out.
When it comes out.
When it comes out.
When it comes out.
When it comes out.
When it comes out.
When it comes out.
When it comes out.
When it comes out.
When it comes out.
When it comes out.
When it comes out.
When it comes out.
When it comes out.
When it comes out.
When it comes out.
When it comes out.
When it comes out.
When it comes out.
When it comes out.
When it comes out.
When it comes out.
When it comes out.
When it comes out.

Unless Sony magically pulls out a load of good quality games I would wait until they go down in price and even then I would wait, the game runs like shit on the PS4 anyway.

More like less than 10.We already have a Wii U emulator out that's progressing rather smoothly

PS4 is using PC architecture, which I have a feeling will be harder to emulate than the WiiU which is a weaker system overall.

So yeah, I'd say 20 years is a fair estimate, considering that the OG Xbox still doesn't have emulation yet and also runs on old pc architecture.

The WiiU is technically inferior to the PS4, hell we don't even have a functional PS3 emulator yet we wont get a PS4 one for a very long time.

You're better off comparing it to gamecube than the xbox that nobody cares about.
The cell processor.

you know just because two systems are running on the same hardware architecture doesn't mean its remotely easy to port from one to the other. Here's a good example: Xbox emulation.

Wat? I would think the opposite. PS4 uses x86 while WiiU still uses PowerPC.

the original xbox has more games than the gamecube, frankly it was a much better console unless you really need your melee fix because you're a mouthbreathing mongoloid

I thought that was because the documentation of the GPU was lost forever.

nope, it's out there and the chihiro documents helped too. It's more got to do with how complex the system is to actually emulate. Everything it runs is pretty complicated, from the directX revision to the sound drivers.

Stop

It's my fucking thread I can do what I want.

So why would you bump your own thread with a non sequitur to try to bait some replies? The only person talking about playing mostly on PC is asking for advice to buy a PS4.

So you want to be a faggot?

Bloodborne gets worse when you start doing chalice dungeons or later playthroughs. You are also really limited in what weapons you focus on.

The zx spectrum is far more exciting than this.

why does autistic loli shrug?

but goyim dlc is part of the game

They didn't come crawling back to Sony, Sony approached them with money and asked them to build an exclusive game, which is what they did. Sony may or may not own the rights to the IP, it's hard to know with a studio like FromSoft who nowadays can haggle and barter on that kind of thing.

If Sony owns the rights to Bloodborne, they may try to capitalize on who made the first Bloodborne and make a Bloodborne 2, 3, etc while using some internal team to make it. If From owns the rights to Bloodborne, they may either retire the franchise and not return to it, or they may choose to expand upon it at a later time.

If both companies own an equal 50/50 share of the name, then Sony needs to pay FromSoft to use the franchise, and From may be required to publish through Sony. Either way, it is possible that other Bloodborne games could happen, regardless of who owns the franchise.

Chalice dungeons are completely optional. And I appreciate what they tried to do, since procedurally generated = infinite content.

except it was done in quite possibly the laziest way possible of 12 rooms tied together.
Also there it isn't really optional you need those gems if you want to do higher NG cycles, and you need to kill Lady if you're going for 100%.
Beast claw and variant weapons are exclusive to it too

Dark souls 3 is absolute trash. I was in awe when I saw the Irithyll of the Boreal Valley, crossed the bridge, and soon found out the level design is just as shitty as the previous parts of the game. You can tell they didn't want to make it, they should have made it in 5 years, because it feels like there's been a souls game released every year.

Yes, Miyazaki clearly didn't want to make the fucking game, when he clearly said that he was excited to return to Dark Souls because he felt that Bloodborne's design became too limiting design wise, what with there being no magic.

You guys are the ultimate fucking hipsters. "NEW GAME IS BAD, OLD GAME IS BETTER!" Never. Fucking. Fails.

If Bloodborne had come out after Dark Souls III, you'd be saying how much better Dark Souls III was, and how it was clear that "they just wanted to make another Dark Souls, and they clearly didn't want to work with Sony this time around" blah blah blah.

Shut the fuck up already, stop pigeon holing every fucking FromSoft game with this stupid retard olympics shit.

no, randomizing the same 5 rooms and enemies is not "infinite content".

also, your mother is a whore.

Yes, yes it is infinite content. Its infinite content by the simple definition that it is not finite content. If you don't like that, suck my dick.

I mean, really, it's not possible for there to be an INFINITE number of variations. For that the game would need to generate new assets, new models, new character types, new bosses, new room types, etc. But the game can't do that.

It's got a great deal of variety, but it's definitely NOT infinite.

I haven't heard this argument since I dropped cuckchan.

Its infinite by one definition but not by all of them. I never said chalice dungeons are good, but that they do provide more replayability through infinite variations. If you're going to stretch definitions just to justify why you hate something then you can kindly filter my id, a21a9b, before you continue shitposting.

Well, the level design is trash. I didn't even play Bloodborne, I'm not making any comparisons to any other souls games. I genuinely wanted to like this game, I went in excited to play it only to find out it's not that great.

Do go fuck yourself.

Okay, what? I don't even hate Bloodborne, so I don't know where the fuck you're coming from with this, are you aware that my ID differs from the other guy?
No, it doesn't. It can't. The size of a chalice dungeon is fixed, you can only fit so many things inside of the play space. The rooms can be moved around any way you want, but even if there's a possibility of 1 million variations (which there isn't), that's still not INFINITE. You can not create an INFINITE number of variations with a fixed pool of assets.

Do you know how big the number 1 billion is? We say that number all the fucking time, but the fact of the matter is, 1 billion is BIG. There are only 22.1 (rounding UP) MILLION seconds in your life time. Seconds. That's roughly 1/45th of a billion. You would need to live 45 lifetimes to equal 1 billion seconds.

And that pales in comparison to a trillion. Or a quadrillion. A LARGE number of variations is not INFINITE variations. A game of the size of Bloodborne, even if it could change the entire world design randomly spending 2 hours generating a new game, will still only be able to create a FINITE number of levels for the game. Borderlands didn't advertise INFINITE guns, and instead went with "JUST A LOT OF FUCKING GUNS" because INFINITE is not possible. By definition, infinite is so much that there is literally no limit. You can not have an infinite amount of anything, let alone variations of a god damn chalice dungeon with 12 fucking rooms. Quit fucking with me.

First of all the people still praising Bloodborne are sony fanboys who only like that and Demon Souls (because they're exclusives) or if they're only praising Bloodborne, have a gothicism fetish.

Second of all, Dark Souls is the undisputed best of them all. 2 has flaws out the asshole. 3 retains only very few flaws from 2 but then it adds even more flaws making it more comparable to 2 than 1. Bloodborne is kind of its own thing but because of that and only because of that people tend to ignore the faults because the gameplay feels very different and they have nothing else to compare it to.

Demons Souls is also great, but at the same time it feels much like a prototype to Dark Souls. Dark Souls being a strict upgrade to Demons Souls in all gameplay terms.

You're just performing mental gymnastics to justify owning a PS4.
Playing action game on 30 fps with dips is not acceptable, enjoy your sub par experience.

I'm not sure if I completely agree with this sentiment, but I understand what you mean by this. However, there were level designs and enemies in Demon's Souls that I think would have been a real asset to future titles. The Boletarian palace is superior to the Undead Parish and Anor Londo, per example. The Valley of Defilement was just bigger and more interesting than Blighttown was (for me at least), and the Blighttown swamp was just so fucking tiny. On the other hand, Valley of Defilement had some odd design choices. There was something like 3 or 4 waterfalls that fell into the Valley of Defilment, but there was like maybe 1 waterway that would flow OUT of the valley and it was much smaller .. so how does the valley not flood? So I mean there were some design issues with the area, but it felt like a better area.

And I think that the Archstone system was better than Dark Souls' bonfires (not by virtue of how it connected the world together, mind), just on the merit that it was all or nothing, you had to learn to play better in Demon's Souls because it could be an hour or two between here and the next Archstone, so you really had to play cautiously.

I think the restorative item system in Bloodborne was better than Dark Souls, but they fixed that up in Dark Souls II with the varying healing items that replaced grasses, and then in Dark Souls III the bonfires are so close together that I don't even remember if there were alternative healing methods because you almost always had full or near full estus. So I mean, I think that DS0 and DS2 had better design item wise.

And it really does go by that, for me there just isn't a "this game is better than this game," I don't want to think of them that way, there are just aspects to each game I think is superior for different reasons, and yeah in some situations Dark Souls II can be said to have better thought out some things.

So that's why I take issue with the whole thing about people ripping on DS3 in favor of BB. What did BB do better than any other From game? Well one thing it definitely did better was that enemies had much greater variance of resist and weakness to weapon types, so there was advantage to playing with a certain weapon over another and with trick weapons you had two different weapon types in one weapon, so you didn't feel like you were blowing all of your upgrade materials on one item. Another thing was the ability to recover your hp if you hit an enemy in rapid succession after taking a hit, that is a great system, it could have benefited DS3.

Bloodborne was designed to be Dracula. So of course it's a lush setting, the world is vibrant, and it's almost real, because it's based on a novel set in a fictional place that doesn't feel like it's fictional.

You could at least sage if you're going to try and mess with people.

Ah I meant to say Demon's Souls…

I can't say if on base level BB is better or worse than DS3 because I obviously didn't play.
But I REFUSE to play action games under anything than 60 frames per second, especially when there were games on a goddamn PS3 that run at that.
So yeah, I'd rather not experience game at all than experience it under my quality standards.

Never heard this one before.
As for level design, Dark Souls was infamously rushed (and so was the port) so I can't really disagree there. There could definitely have been a lot of improvement to a lot of Dark Souls. But Valley of Defilement was also way too big for its own good. I don't know what I feel about Boletarian palace. I think both that and Undead Parish are comparable in quality, maybe its because its been too long since I played Demons.
Necessitated due to no more welfare grass. You couldn't just farm and go ham. However adding more estus flask uses could have meant less bonfires and in some places bonfires are way too populated.
Farming for healing items to then finally beat the game is shit. End of. I play Disgaea and found that shit infuriating. You might be the type who then cries "BUT I NEVER HAD TO" and that's a useless and retarded argument nobody cares about. Anecdotal arguments are shit.
There is one important thing in DS3 and that is that a lot of enemies are obviously inspired by BB, which doesn't fucking work in DS3 because of the combat system being so different. So being the first game that has something comparable to BB its easy for Sony fanboys/Gothicists to wank off to BB by saying DS3 is shit.

There might be a patch for the PS4 Pro that makes it run at 60. I dunno, just like Dark Souls 1 the game normalizes all animation speeds at a fixed rate, so the 30 fps is not really that bad, and I just don't see it as being an issue. They could have made the game 60, but they wanted to go with flashier graphics and stronger visuals, so they chose to make the game a 30 fps game. If your standard of quality is based on framerate, you're really limiting yourself from enjoying some really good stuff.

Do you play older games at all? Like for example, the original Doom is not 60 frames per second, the computers back then couldn't operate the game at that speed. But it's still considered to be a great game, because it's about more than just a number of frames.

No there won't be.

Well I was kind of getting at that I think that Dark Souls II was the best for healing items, you had the estus flask so you always had a permanent healing item, but there was also healing items you can acquire.

And clearly they rethought how the Souls franchise works going back to the basics of Demon's Souls, because they brought back the luck stat to work better with the item discovery system… Dark Souls II was the best hybridized system for healing items.

Ah well, doesn't bother me either way.

Ah, I forgot to mention that the Luck stat was brought back for Dark Souls III, it wasn't in II. Damnit.

I played old games back then, but I can't really go back. And I know people who once started playing on 120 fps couldn't go back to 60.
As of Doom, since you can play it on 60+ now, there is no reason to play it on anything lower.

You can, you're just being intentionally difficult. I think limiting the number of games you can enjoy based on an arbitrary number is silly.

Well what he is saying about framerate is bullshit. 60fps used to be the norm and the minimum requirement for games. Then somewhere during the PS2 it stopped being the norm with games like SotC. Sony had to compete with systems like Gamecube and especially the Xbox (which was literally twice as powerful in hardware) and led to them overcompensating on PS3 hardware with the cell that nobody knew how to use.

Anyone who says 60fps shouldn't be the minimum are talking out of their ass. Its always been the minimum.

They don't ditch or crawl back to Sony. They accept 1 Sony exclusive contract per generation because they get a fuck ton of help in engine dev from Sony engineers when they do. They then use that engine to make multiplats, From isn't the only one that does this either.

It's not 30 fps either.
It's closer to silky smooth 20 with drops

It's not "undisputed" by any stretch.

Like you said about 2, every other game in this series has flaws out the asshole, and DS1 is no exception. Its problems range from an uncomfortable and counter-intuitive as fuck control scheme (sprinting, rolling and jumping are all assigned to the same button, and you have to claw the controller if you want to sprint and move the camera at the same time), to poise being a questionable mechanic because it's one of those abstract RPG elements that trivialize many of the encounters (same with magic, which is brain-dead and boring as fuck to use).
The game gives you no indication that you're matched with other people online based on your level, and has no level cap, meaning you can raise every stat to 99. There is also no re-spec.
The pacing is also pretty questionable because of the constant running back and forth; it makes simple tasks such as meeting a merchant seem tedious as hell. You might argue this makes DS1's world feel dreadful and unforgiving, but that magic eventually disappears as you familiarize more with the game and realize you can run past every enemy with ease.
Later areas shit the bed in terms of level design and enemy placement. Bosses are nothing special; some of them are basically cannon fodder (e.g. Capra Demon and the dogs), while others feel too gimmicky (e.g. Seath with his regenerating health until the crystal is destroyed and annoying tail sway that clips the player, Bed of fucking Chaos). Blighttown framerate issues, useless Resistance stat, terrible clunky UI, 4-directional roll when locked-on, bad tracking when rolling past an enemy and attacking them while locked-on.

I could go on and on.

Sonyggers really believe this.

I wanna drop on this conversation, I built a PC this year and I've been replaying games like DS1 and no fucking way can I go back to anything below 60FPS. Its like a different game, now way is it just an arbitrary number. I tried how Dragons Dogma runs on PS3 and its just impossible to play it without the constant reminder that its at 30fps, if even. Cause most of the time the games going to be dipping below that threshold, as Valley of Defilement and Blighttown proved.
As much as I'd love to play Bloodbourne, I know the chances of a port are slim, but Im sure as hell not buying a ps4 for one game, especially if it wont be running at 60fps.
I used to think the whole pc masterrace mentality is a meme, but I can really relate to the frustration people feel when good games are console exclusives whose quality suffers from the hardware.

You're right it is very easy to nitpick and make up very personal complaints.

But he's right, it's not UNDISPUTED. The moment someone disagrees with you it's DISPUTED. Saying "undisputed" means a unanimous agreement by all. Which this is not.

This is like people who use the word "objectively" to push their opinion and only their opinion as the truth and the right opinion. Opinion is subjective.

Oh and an "updated" PS4? Still no 60 fps option for Bloodborne. I guess some game are just not meant to be played for me.
Not sure if you should pity people that are ok with 30 fps, or envy them.

Not sure really, because it's been decades. I remember playing Jedi Academy on my fist computer, and then replaying it years later.
It running at 60 fps was a striking impression, as you said, almost like a completely different game.

Please stop acting like a low functioning autist.

I've often heard this said, but I've never seen anybody try to defend either of those as their favourites in the series without some legitimate reasons for them and think that it's quite dishonest to chalk it up to their exclusivity. Bear in mind, as I write this stuff, that I haven't played Dark Souls 3 and don't intend to.

Demon's Souls is my favourite for a bunch of different reasons, a big one being that every boss in the game manages to feel distinct from every other boss without feeling overly gimmicky. Every boss has a unique aspect or mechanic in their fight, eg. the Old Hero being blind and having to walk rather than run to fight him optimally, the Fool's Idol requiring you to kill an NPC in order to properly kill her, the Armor Spider's claustrophobic and linear arena placing more emphasis on dodging and evasion than usual, etc. That's something you can't really say about any of the other games. In Dark Souls, for example, the uniqueness of Taurus, Moonlight Butterfly, Capra is taken away by them becoming regular enemies later on and how the Asylum Demon is reused 3 times. Granted, the Dragon God was trash, but you can't mention him without also mentioning the Bed of Chaos.

Bloodborne isn't as good in that regard, especially when you account for chalice dungeons, in which standard enemies are often and lazily given slightly more health and called bosses because of it. I also really wasn't a fan of how they reused some bosses that were very important to the game's backstory in chalice dungeons, namely Rom and Ebrietas. All that said, I think Bloodborne still conveys a sense of progression through its bosses better than the rest of the series does. Regardless of whether you choose to fight the Cleric Beast or Gascoigne as your first boss, beasts and werewolves feel like small potatoes by the end of the game in which you're fighting aliens and babby Great Ones, which was something I really liked about it. Sort of similar to something I liked about The Wonderful 101, which starts with you saving kids on a school bus and ends with you fighting a planet-sized robot in Earth's orbit. As well as that, while he's not particularly fun to fight, the way they used Micolash's voice acting as a mechanic in his fight was really clever, having to rely on it to tell where he was, like a reverse version of the Old Hero fight. Gehrman was also fantastic and the best 'elderly king'-esque fight in the series, imo. Liked him much better than Allant, Gwyn and Vendrick.

In terms of level design, Demon's Souls blows the rest of the series out of the water, I don't really think there's much debate to be had there. If Dark Souls' post-Lordvessel areas were even half as good as the likes of Anor Londo, Ariamis, the Forest etc then it would be a viable contender, though I recognise that they're worse more due to the game being rushed than anything else. I think Bloodborne's Forbidden Woods, Cainhurst, Upper Cathedral Ward and Central Yharnam are some of the best levels to grace to series as well, but they don't have me revisiting the game every so often like the levels in Demon's Souls do. Upper Cathedral Ward felt like what the devs were going for in DaS2 with The Gutter, only with non-shit lighting making it so that it didn't fail on every level.

There are also little things I like about DeS and BB that are a lot more personal for me, as I don't see them brought up often. I really liked DeS' rating system that you could use to grade someone's performance in co-op, for example, and World Tendency gave the game a constant sense of community and shared experience, moreso than the white phantoms in every other game do. Character Tendency affecting your stats in soul form and in co-op was also interesting. Bloodborne's backstory and lore I mostly love because I think aliens in non-sci fi or relatively primitive settings are criminally underused.

There are plenty of reasons to prefer either of them to Dark Souls that have nothing to do with exclusivity.

There is an issue though with some of the bosses in bloodborne soaking up ridiculous damage. Laurence is a prime example of a boss with too much health.

Another issue is that some of the weapons are blatantly worse than other weapons in bloodborne. It is fairly difficult to try and use the boom hammer in an entire playthrough.

But their reuse in the chalice dungeons is part of their backstory. It's not like you're refighting Gascoigne or Vicar Amelia or other unique characters in the chalice dungeons, the reuse of a) Ebrietas, a fully-grown celestial child (one of many) and b) Rom, a recreation of another great one (one of many) was very intentional.

I never picked up on there being several ayys just like Ebrietas or Rom, where does the game hint at that? I remember Ebrietas mourning over a sculpture that looks exactly like Rom when you first find her, but other than that my knowledge is rusty as I haven't played it in a few months.

At this point, yeah probably. Also thanks for reminding to continue playing Bloodborne.

Ebrietas is the fully-grown version of the celestial children you see all around the upper cathedral ward (like the one Arianna gave birth to). There are also a lot of statues around the game showing an intermediate stage.

Rom is known to be a creation of Kos, and the creature on the Altar of Despair isn't Rom, it's a unique model (look at the legs). Kos probably created Rom in the imitation of that great one to keep Ebrietas company, since she was abandoned by the rest of the pantheon.

I think you are reading way to into it. You are going full on Vaati.

Then what was the point of all of the celestial children looking towards her chamber? Why call her a "celestial child" (Daughter of the Cosmos) also? Why bother making a unique model for the Altar when they could have dropped Rom's model there? Why not reuse better bosses than Rom? Even if Vaati wasn't a plagiarist of Holla Forums lore threads this isn't a huge leap in logic like his, I don't know how anyone could think otherwise based on the given information.

It's From? They don't know their head from their ass 90% of the time

Neither does the One Reborn, but that does address the rest of the point, which requires another explanation for Ebrietas and Rom. The other explanation is that Ebrietas is the only one of her kind and it's just a coincidence that there are hundreds of other creatures that look like her (and a coincidence that she's referred to in plural on the Augur of Ebrietas description), and that Rom is in two places at the same time and dead in one of those places.

Alright, let's break this the fuck down. DS1 is 2/3rds of a complete game. DS3 is a shitty version of bloodborne with knights. DeS is an interesting first attempt at the game formula but has major flaws (too much grass, certain bosses).

DS2? DS2 is the american ripoff version of these games. It feels nothing like them and frankly doesn't look much like them either. It's more methodical, mashing in DS2 will end you faster than in any other game. It's more focused on unlocked combat. Damage types actually matter unlike in DS1 and 3. it's also far more consistent throughout the game in terms of level design, as far as I'm concerned there isn't a Lost Izalith or whatever you want to call the walkup to the Church of Yorksha in DS3. Fuck, even Profaned Capital is pretty unfinished. Is it perfect? Fuck no. The groups are insane if you aren't told that much of the game is supposed to be played without locking on, the directions you get are vague, certain levels do have difficulty spikes or valleys (personally in SotFS I'd say Iron Keep before SD can be either depending on your build, for example), Soul Memory is retarded, and ADP/Agility was a poor choice. Does this make it the worst of the series? Well, let's just list some flaws for the rest of them shall we?
DS1

DS3
>Many enemies have

I only see two people in the thread who mentioned that DaS2 is bad, I don't know where you're reading that this is about DaS2

I played a japanese Gundam game that a black giga nigga hyper weeb friend brought over to the college hangout, and that shit was fun as fucking shit. It was adapted from an arcade cabinet and put on the PS3, so it had weird ass controls, but goddamn was it fun. I even managed to beat the weeb at his own game after I learned the controls (because i'm a main shit wrecker at fighting games at the college lounge and people actually say shit like "you only have to win one match against him to win" in a 3 match game)

Domon the best fuck the rest

So, you're saying that a more viable alternative to from just being lazy is that they actually have this incredibly deep, subtle well thought out lore?
Like that's somehow more believable when they shipped a game that had useless stats, horrible hitboxes, 8 minute loadtimes, and 15 fps.

I honestly derived pleasure from this. The levels themselves can be such a fucking pain in the ass to go through (which I guess it's appropriate given the surrounding theme of that area), that knowing that bosses are push-overs makes it a cathartic experience. They're one of the reasons that motivate me to go through that level.

I really dislike the idea of Soul form though, not only does the game ENCOURAGE the player to die, but also because (and this may sound petty) you can't hear the sound of your character's footsteps. That shit bothers me so much.

Any DaS after 1 is shit.

We don't have PS3 emulation cause PS3 has a cancerous/innovative(cross one out) architecture.
It's very much possible we'd get PS4 emulation before PS3.

So, you're saying that all of these things seeming like they having something to do with each other is pure coincidence and it's just a bunch of random shit dropped in the game? Like that's somehow more believable than you just not understanding the game?
Excuse me, somehow more believable than that you've never played it and are just parroting two year old memes.

These faggots are pure RNG. Sometimes they'll just to do those piss easy to avoid melee attacks and other times it's a never ending spam of magic nukes and that slow projectile I've no idea where it is because no depth perception in a pitch black area. Also getting arbitrarily ganked whenever they feel like it.

This fucks STR builds big time. It's almost impossible to get a swing on some bosses like Sulyvahn or Lorian before they hit you back and phase 2 Champion Gundyr can basically cancel every more of his into another; I've had this fucker cancel the charge into his string and that into the poke to shoulder ram and I still couldn't attack him without getting a foot to the face.
Another thing the game did was make heavy and two-handed attacks damage even shittier. DeS and DaS probably overdid it but in DaS3 there's almost no reason to do anything but R1 spam unless the heavy attack animation is necessary. (IMHO a thing BB does very well is make a entire move set feel useful).

He completely chimps out by the end of the fight but IMHO the only true threat in the fight is the close range swipe. That shit has almost no start up.
He's also very susceptible to magic damage, even a non-magic build with the blessed mace from 5-1 or the crescent falchion from 4-1 can fuck him up good. Which incidentally is arguably a issue with DeS - magic/miracles are absurdly good and with Second Chance you'll breeze through the game.

This really is a nightmare for completionists. Doesn't help that once the bosses are beaten you're pretty much fucked out of getting PWWT.

It's not too bad besides the giant jews. With a blessed weapon + ring + Adjudicator Shield you can completely null the poison effect.

For me DeS was the easiest in the series (likely because I played DaS and DaS2 before) even though dying had sizable penalties like black world tendency and having to redo the area from the starting point.
That said, the Man Eaters always push my shit in like there's no tomorrow. I still can't beat them with Thief Ring and a high stability shield.

Just because your shitpost "MUH DLC", doesn't discredit the DLC as being any less great.

I started with Demon's pretty much at launch and I'd rank them Dark Souls > Demon's = Bloodborne. The two Dark sequels are only average.
They need to make exactly ONE BB sequel, and make it huge, with better chalice dungeons. BB is so much fun.

I might have also been reading a thread on halfchan and mixed some posts up.

Sorry to double post but I have a good personal one:

These are the memories, that shit is why I play games. Souls/Bloodborne are so strong in that way.

Capra doesn't really need an alluring skull. It helps, sure, but it is a fight that is decided in the first few seconds.

It encouraged dying if you were like me and are a scrub. What was fucked up was that dying resulted in better shit being dropped. That was completely the opposite of good design.

Add "to have anything more than an RNG chance to win" then. Unless you're rocking huge poise that fight is pretty BS on a first run.

Dark Souls 1 is "perfect" but with awful fucking boss battles
Dark Souls 2 so far for me is pretty enjoyable despite the bullshit lock-on enemies
Bloodborne didn't immerse me in the slightest for some reason, probably because I hate playing on console. Good enough I guess though, maybe a bit too simple
Dark Souls 3 has too much wasted potential when it comes to the Dark Fantasy stuff. The game drops you in an amazing first area that sets the tone with the grays and ashes, and then when you progress through the game, you're thrown in the same fucking afternoon levels with the same "gray but not gray" color scheme.

I just started with the series, and each entry has some serious flaws, even though I like all of them for the most part. Dark Souls 1 does pretty much everything right besides the god awful boss battles. I enjoy some of the grind but the fact that summons are almost required for a first timer is cancerous, and I'm really not all that bad at vidya. I can hardly name any that I can't beat on the hardest difficulty. Dark Souls 2 I personally love the shit out of, though it might just be because it's the "perfect" level of difficulty for me. Bloodborne was just entirely forgettable, and Dark Souls 3 is just overly-complicated. There's simply too many features and systems going on in the game at once with little explanation that I can see.

The games are pretty easy to beat solo at level 1, so you may not be as good at games as you think you are.

It's like a shit opinions buffet

I dunno about the "pretty much everything right" man. After the Lordvessel the quality dives off a cliff.

After DaS3 I dunno if I want a BB2 if it would be some MEMBER EILEEN? MEMBER GASCOIGNE? MEMBER ALFRED? MEMBER MICOLASH? type of crap.
I think it ended on a good note and Old Hunters gave a lot of closure though I'm left wondering if there's really any connection between Gehrman and the Orphan since apparently the same sound file is used for their crying.

That said, I played a but of it recently, taking my STR/BT build to the end of NG+ and finish the stat investment and I think I could go for another expansion, if not just for more weapons and fashion. I just don't know what subject I'd like to see. Maybe Mensis/Choir (Fauxsefka.)

That would be one hell of a nightmare. Talk about the mind playing tricks.
So, did you get him to play the game or at least interested in seeing more of it?

And I forgot one of my major complaints about DeS - Hands of God being crap.
It also partly ties with one of my major disappointments with DaS3 which is that a lot of more uncommon weapons and magic look really fun but aren't any good (though, to be honest, my first run was with Mercenary and no weapon came close to being as good as the starting twinblades). I like using a off-hand whip in PvP but that's about it in terms of giving things a proper use. Poison also a shit and Frostbite is some arbitrary bullshit for the AI to fuck you with like Frenzy in BB.

After DaS3 I think it would be asking if you remember characters from other games entirely, given that Yuria the Witch and Mephistopheles and the Storm Ruler somehow ended up in DaS3.

Maybe the night of the first Mensis Ritual when Old Yharnam was burned to the ground, but that might be a little too plot-driven for Miyazaki. I'd like to see the fall of Pthumeru first-hand, it would be a pretty drastic change in setting.

Who actually likes having eyebrows overlapping with hair?

Despite the post-lordvessel shit, I feel like DaS1 had the most consistency in all regards. It's hard to put into words, I think the aesthetic is what helps pull it's weight, same with the amount of systems and features in place. Simple for beginners, but room to learn for those who want to familiarize themselves with it. I don't know, again, I'm still not done with any of the games. I've been putting almost all my free time into playing them all at the same time.

You're telling me on my first playthrough that I can beat the damn game solo at SL1?
let me rephrase, I've had little problem beating the game up until O&S. I've never really needed to summon, and I can't name many times outside of gargoyles I wanted to see how capable sun boy was where the summon did anything for me. I understand HOW to beat O&S, but it's a tedious as fuck fight, especially if you don't have the gear. I'm not claiming to be some god of vidya, though so I don't know.
Like I said, opinions. Dark Souls 2 feels like a proper difficulty curve so far, and albeit ugly, the levels are easy to get a grasp of. The problem is the annoying shit-eating giant enemies that lock on like faggots. Bloodborne deserves respect but ultimately didn't pull me in. Maybe it was the framerate, who knows. Fact of the matter is that it lacked the complexity that I personally saw in the other games. Something that blew me away in the first one is that there are covenants like the Chaos Servant in DS1 that is almost entirely built for just roleplaying. I don't know, call me out on my bullshit but it felt like Bloodborne lacked the neat stuff like that. It felt more like one of those vidya spin offs they do for 1/4th of the price like Blood Dragon and FC3. As for DS3, there's simply too much going on at once. DS1 had a way of easing you into it's systems but in DaS3 you were dropped into firelink with shit like the ashen estus and infusion and all other sorts of crazy shit immediately. Same with the levels, they start out linear enough and then branch out in a million different directions with a million fucking enemies without allowing yourself to get situated in your environment. Undead Settlement in particular had some great design but too much shit happening with the enemies at once. The colors bothered me the most though.

I dunno man, I'm pretty sure DS2 was more consistent. DS1 had a lot more early game quality but it fell off a bit after Sen's and then shit the bed after Lordvessel. DS1 was best when it was being a pseudo-open world, DS2 is just fairly consistent all the way through, but not as good in any one area as DS1's early game.
The best part is, if you use pyromancy the fight's a joke.

I'm telling you that you can certainly beat the first playthrough without summons, and it wouldn't be too much harder to beat it at SL1. You might not think to try that your first try, but no, it's still not difficult.

You could use a summon to distract one during the first phase, but all you have to do is abuse their awful pathfinding.

And like I said, opinions, but that doesn't mean you get to sidestep being bullied. The levels in Dark Souls 2 being "easy to get a grasp of" is one of the things people dislike about the game, since all of the levels are so plain and linear.

There is, but it's understandable to have missed it.

Don't know what you mean about Chaos Servant being there just for roleplaying, it's there for a few extra chaos pyromancies and to save the meme NPC.

Alright, fair enough. I think what I meant was consistency in dark tone, or something along those lines.
I think Anor Londo needs to be studied in the way that picturesque environments do not make for good gameplay in the slightest. The game tried to go for the "big open" philosophy of design without realizing that running across a map isn't fun after dying, in the slightest.
Oh, absolutely not. I may summon from time to time but Pyro is such a faggot class that I'd rather just be stuck on x boss for an eternity. I can't see a single bit of personal satisfaction being gained from Pyro, I'd rather beat the game depraved than carried along like some faggot who needs OP magic to get the job done. I'll stick with the slightly less casual Bandit, thanks.

Well no shit you can, and call me a casual but I don't feel like putting way more time than I already am into just beating O&S. The rest of the game is a cakewalk in comparison, it's just that it's retarded with the difficulty spike at this point in the game knowing full well the rest of it will be babby mode.
But I thought we were talking about not summoning? Of course the fight gets far easier with sun man taking the heat from the fat fuck. I could simply block his attacks with some of the equipment I got. The pathfinding on solo is annoying as fuck to abuse, especially when they both have cancerous gap closers that throw themselves all over the place, taking ages to get them back in line while dodging their shit in heavy gear. It's just an annoying as fuck fight, especially considering all the bullshit you have to do when you die.
reported for bullying
It's the Overwatch of the series. I feel like it's the best game to zone out to and get a good flow going, which I find important because I usually lack the attention span to spend more than a few hours per session on vidya anymore.
Yeah but I mean in terms of covenants I feel like it's the one with least reward, and only there to immerse yourself when it comes to healing the spider qt. Of course the game still has to reward you for joining it but it really feels like the covenant to really put you in your character, something I personally value, since it's hard for me to roleplay in vidya at this age.

Then yes, absolutely. DS1 and 3 murder the shit out of DS2 in tonal consistency between areas. Apparently that's somewhat by design for 2 but I still keep it as a black mark.
It wouldn't have even been so bad if not for the fact that both bonfires were stupidly far from the fog wall even with shortcuts. They should have just put one at the giant blacksmith and changed the place where that path was blocked initially.
Agreed, I did Pyro as my third run and I left like I was cheating. Shit's OP, you start with attunement and don't even need to invest points to make your fireballs not shit. It's a general problem with DS1 but Pyromancy is overall just way too good.

And I will, since the original claim was, and I'll quote, "the fact that summons are almost required for a first timer". Maybe I'm overly idealistic but I don't think most people here used summons on their first playthrough. I'll await your tears when you get to fighting the Maneaters in Demon's Souls.

I thought you were talking about summons being necessary for O&S? I thought you said you used them.

Maybe I've just played DaS1 too many times but replaying it these days feels like sleepwalking, so that's the easiest to zone out to for me.

Didn't I rephrase saying that summons aren't too necessary until O&S? With O&S they're ALMOST required. You can absolutely beat them on your first playthrough solo but it would be tedious as fuck learning all of their bullshit especially considering how far you have to come from the bonfire. Don't get me wrong, I love learning a boss inside out and putting in all the effort, but doing all that shit for a momentary massive spike in difficulty is annoying as shit, since I had no problems with the other bosses besides maybe the Gaping Anus cunt.
ALMOST necessary, but I only used sun fag half the time because it's a waste of humanity using him while learning the boss, since I'm clearly going to die.
Some of the rooms are designed to annoy the shit out of the player though, like underneath the Drake's bridge or anything around the war pig. Everything is too tight and my sword bounces off all of the walls.

Why are your reaction images so faggoty, man?

Did you skip the DLC? Drake and Josh aren't as hard as Arty or Manus.

And that's harder to zone out to than Scholar of the Gank Squads?

And the Moron Blade. Not gonna lie, I'd love it if they put Miralda's set in one of the expansions. DeS sets were difficult to fashion mix but looked pretty nice overall.
The DaS1 nostalgia pandering is overly done and they even redid some of the lore which IMHO was pretty stupid, namely Yorshka, Ornstein becoming a scaly degenerate and Gwyn's firstborn now being the head/"founder" of two covenants.
And now the DLC looks like it will be more pandering instead of going for any of the cool new shit the story introduced (Sulyvahn, Age of Deep, Londors, angels etc).

Speaking of which, I always had the feeling that Gehrman sets the player up to kill Djura. We know of Old Yharnam because of him and he's probably ass blasted about Djura renouncing his vows.

I dunno, user. That shit sounds like the real stuff of nightmares.
In all seriousness, knowing more about their civilization, their possible connection to the Vileblood lineage, Oedon and Mergo sounds interesting. There's also Loran that IIRC was the first to succumb to the plague.

I guess I'm just glad with Old Hunters. Research Hall and the Fishing Hamlet is exactly the things in the story I wanted to know more of. Just needed more of the Healing Church branches (Choir, Orphanage and Mensis).
Back to the sequel talk, a reason I'd like to have one would be in hopes that they'd retouch the Beasthood/Lumenwood mechanic and give players access to various types of transformations. Beast Claw was completely redeemed by the DLC but I still wanted to turn into a shredded werewolf built like a brick shithouse with Wham tornadoes around the arms.

It's been a few weeks since I last checked here because of the latest exodus and all the shitty threads so it's hard to get into the swing of things. I'm also tiread as shit and don't have the energy to go into my main reaction folder to pic the right images. I just use the image as a way to format the thread to make it easier to read for me.
The painting DLC? Yeah. The DaS series is fucking massive so I'm trying to segment my playthroughs so I can actually finish the damn run in a realistic timeframe while focusing on the certain content to have a shorter yet stronger playthrough.
Honestly, I found the squads in DS2 far less annoying than the ones in some of the other games. I think it's because the rooms are more open, so it's easier to navigate. I can't explain it, and I know it's not logical in the slightest, but outside of it's boring aesthetic, DaS2 feels the most "right" to me despite all of it's awful design choices.

Still haven't decided if I'm buying into the DLC yet. I mean, DaS3 wasn't good, but Souls DLC is always good.

I don't know, man, Gehrman seems almost totally defeated and resigned to his fate. Just a sad old man who needs to be put to rest.

I guess they could introduce the heavy tank classes to the game by allowing you to mutate into one of the brutes (either the brick trolls or a proto-Abhorrent Beast), but it would need some permanence to actually be interesting to me. Being able to adopt and drop covenants as quickly as equipping and unequipping a ring was already pretty dumb, being able to transmute into an entirely different creature and back again just as easily needed some more consideration.

No no, the painting is part of the main game, you missed the DLC entirely, and if you bought the Prepare To Die PC edition you already have it. Look up "how to access Artorias of the Abyss", you missed out on like ten hours of content and the best fights in the game.

Since you're new to the series I won't bully you so hard, but see if you still feel that way after you've put hundreds of hours into each of the games.

Fuck it, I'll hit it on my next pass. I just want to get through Nigger and Faggot already.
I highly doubt I'll still enjoy it in the future, once I get deep into the other ones and when I finally become assed to pick up another PS4, assuming it actually gets more vidya in the future.

Bloodborne is my favorite of all the games, mostly due to the weapons. Dark Souls 2 has the best maps in the series in its DLC though.

I'm hoping that the they deliver on quality because the quantity is certainly lacking. From what I read and IIRC the first DLC has:
4 new spells
4 new armor sets
15 new weapons
2 bosses (but one looks like it has the Looking Glass PvP gimmick and the other is a "2 in 1" like Nameless King")

The transformation could be tied to the chosen origin, stat investment or decisions. Could add a interesting element of surprise that at some point you'd get a Beast/Kin "trigger" but not knowing exactly what you'd get.
I want a crow beast that can command a murder but maybe all that crazy stuff would be better for a different IP with some thematic similarities. Certainly wouldn't want them to shit all over what's been done for the sake of a overly flashy title that carries its name.

Is the Bloodborne DLC worth it? Does DLC ever go on sale? Will it go on sale for halloween or something?

I wonder how much Sony paid to get it exclusive. They probably lost out on 5M+ additional sales.

Very much worth it. 3 new areas, 5 bosses, 8 new sets, 11 new trick weapons including the best Moonlight Sword in the series and something for a STR/BT build, 2 new covenant runes that make a couple of weapons extra special (one being the Beast Claw) and some interesting lore if you're invested in that kind of thing.
Adds a lot of replay value, makes Arcane builds fun and viable, most new weapons are good and fun and I'd say two of those bosses are the hardest in the series (say what you will about Nameless King but I'd say the Orphan and Laurence are way tougher).
If you like the game and want more of it, then by all means, get it.

Gee I wonder why?

It could even be linked to frenzy, which would be more interesting than just losing health, although I guess that would make frenzy a desirable status effect if it lets you go berserker mode. Or maybe once you hit a certain level of insight you could never go back, if insight weren't expendable anymore.

Probably the best part of the game in every way

Steam users obviously outnumber PS4 owners, and that's discounting the additional sales of the PS4 system itself, since the game was meant to be a system-seller.

Very few games are 'long tail' other than Nintendo games. That's why publishers spend so much on DRM that might only last a couple weeks.

good dubs.

Dark Souls have been longer on ps3,pc and 360. So its not really fair to compare a multiplat game that is several years old, also you could just look at the Japanese numbers for the original Dark Souls(I think it was a ps3 exclusive in Japan). But those numbers will give you a good idea as to when the console sold pretty well in great nippo.

Its the same shit, this gen as last gen in Japan(if you ask me) its either released on ps3 and vita with ps4, or just vita and ps4. For some reason vita sells there, I'm not sure onto why it sells but it does.
So if you wonder why ps4 got god eater 2 and the first one, its because it sells down there, no one knows why MH clones sells.

That could be tied to Kin forms but then the question would be how to make Insight a entirely optional thing.
Side note, wandering what type of Kin forms the player could have had me suddenly realize the Brain Sucker grab could be the equivalent of the Dark Hand's Lifedrain.

Also if it were possible to have abilities associated with movement/exploration like Beast forms being able to break down walls and Kin slither up them (or fly but that could have huge complications though I imagine stamina stat could balance it out).
Again, the potential is there but it might be too "out there".

Assuming skulls of madmen aren't taken into consideration, it would just be a measure of a) if you fought every boss in the game, and encountered any other insight-granting events (like Arianna's childbirth or the Vileblood Queen's chamber), and b) if you chose a loadout that would eventually mutate.

And there's Soulsucker from DeS also. Lots of missed opportunities for extra arcane attacks in the game, like the ministers' projectile-firing lanterns, or the different grab moves (from either the Brainsuckers or the screeching Bound Widows in Cainhurts), or any of the pyromancies seen down in the Chalice Dungeons or from the Shadows of Yharnam. If you really wanted to go nuts you could even grab a chunk of a Winter Lantern or the Brain of Mensis and use it to inflict frenzy on an area, since it damages enemies also.

any Halloween themed builds?

You could try clowning.

A very easy Hunter Tool to add would have been a equivalent to Rapport; something like tossing a cosmic parasite at a enemy and boom! temp ally.
TOH did a lot for Arcane but it does remain as a bit of odd duck, especially if you're used to the magic disciplines of the previous games. I do appreciate the fact that they brought some new things like Quickening and the Augur.

Weaponwise, the Pthumerian Elder's staff would have been nice; seen a lot of disappointments in that regard. And personally, I'd like a Winter Lantern head and the iron mask of Mergo's Attendants for fashion (really wanted to rock the later with the Executioner's set) but I admit this is nitpicking.
Incidentally, at first I was disappointed that enemies didn't drop armor/weapons but once I had to start farming in DaS3, I realize the blessing it was.

The Bone Ash armor is Halloween enough, spookiest weapon would probably be the Burial Blade.

Weirdly, the two most useful tools The Old Hunters added are equivalent to two of the most mundane spells in the previous games, Blacksky Eye (Soul Arrow) and Accursed Brew (Fireball). At least the arcane-infused weapons like Logarius' Wheel and the Holy Moonlight Sword were very cool.

On the whole they missed the opportunity to make unique boss blood echoes usable for different weapons or tools. Obviously not every one of them could have given you one, but there are some obvious analogs, like the Pthumerian Descendant's weapon as a modification of the Blade of Mercy.

Fashion-wise I'm nonplussed, I usually just go for an understated full set, like Gascoigne's set or the Crow set. It would have been nice to be able to wear one of the simple fluted armor sets down in the Chalices instead of the florid Cainhurst design.

What was up with the one pic mocking her with "pizza girl" and other insults? Did I miss something when that was posted?

This is something small from Demon Soul's that I miss from later souls games. Having NPC's roam as non-phantoms help you in battle. I remember when Biorr just showed up at the penetrator fight and I lost my shit. It was great having someone there to help that wasn't glowing and it broke the disconnect I had with the Nexus and the rest of the game worlds. I like having a very clear feeling that NPC's are not just actors in a story, but agents in their own narratives. And instead of just having summon signs outside of an arena, I would like to see more moments like that.

The only other time outside of Demon Soul's I felt this was in Dark Souls 1 with Seigmier. Although I have not played DaS3 or Bloodborne. Which is sad because I'd have liked to hunt down Lautrec somewhere in my Lordran instead of just invading him in some world he fled too. I would like to have fought side by side with a non-phantom Solaire. I feel like with Dark Souls From leaned far too heavily into the "many worlds" nature of their narratives.

Now I want a G Gundam Souls game.

All NPC fights in BB are presented as non-phantom, and there's at least one encounter a lot like what you described with Penetrator. Won't spoil it if you ever get a chance to play the game.

I just wish I had a PS4 now.

DaS3 has moments like the Penetrator one too.

I confess I spend a inordinate amount of time trying out different combinations (usually when I'm waiting to get summoned).

Anyway, on a more grounded level, there's two simple things I do wish they add: bullet/vial refill after a successful co-op session OR auto-refill like in DaS3 and stat respec.
The first to cut down on trips back to the hub and the second so I can "fix" my Skill and Strength builds because autism, I guess (in both I wasted a lot of points in Arcane; should have stayed with the bare minimum for the Tools I wanted to use).

Sorry user but I'm out of the loop on that as well.

It's good in theory but in Biorr's particular case, him being the proto-Tarkus, he'll fuck Penetrator so hard, you can just sit there and watch him solo the fight.
I do agree the "time is convoluted" plot device is kinda silly and feels like some sort of narrative justification for multiplayer.

DaS2 also presents the NPCs as non-phantom. You can summon some to fights but overall, you can see they're progressing through their journey as well (Benhart likely reached the Ancient Dragon too).

What is odd is that the many worlds thing is one of those things that doesn't quite feel right with everything else going on Dark Souls, compared to Demon's Souls. It was one of the things that it felt like they were fitting something else onto the frame of Demon's Souls instead of making a setting that fit.

I disagree. For the hub, even allowing Bold Hunter's Marks to teleport you back to the hub (instead of teleporting you to a lantern and then to the hub) or allowing teleporting straight from one lantern to another I think would relieve some of the animosity people feel towards the Hunter's Dream. As far as reducing trips to the hub instead of just streamlining them, I actually like that lanterns don't refill your vials and bullets. Since touching a lantern doesn't respawn the enemies and doesn't give you the crutch of an item refill, I find that when playing BB I spend a lot more uninterrupted time out in the game world, sometimes hours at a time, no interruption. As long as enemies are dropping vials and bullets at the same rate you're using them, it shouldn't be a problem.

For the stat respec, what is it you think needs fixing about Skill and Strength? If any stat needs fixing it's Arcane, they should have just made it softcap at 25 and hardcap at 50 like everything else, the way the switched it up makes most people think the stat's totally useless.

Which ones are you talking about? I don't remember any

I meant the item refill in the context of co-op. If you ever helped people out, you know some parts are almost a full time job for co-operators (Amygdala, Ebrietas, Rom etc), hence the suggestion of a refill if the co-op session is successful (especially when the only covenant rewards in this game are Valtr's bucket helm and a gesture).

As for the stats, I meant fixing my Skill and Strength builds because both have Arcane at 23-25 or something and it was a pointless investment. It barely does anything for weapons with Arcane split damage (BoM, Burial Blade and the Wheel) and in both cases I should have left Arcane at 18 (to use Roar, Quickening and Augur). I wanted to implement the Executioner's Bone with my STR build but I'm already using the Cannon and need a rune for two shots.

I think might be referring to Siegward appearing on the Yhorm fight.

The first Fire Demon and Yhorm with Siegward.

I don't have PS+ so I don't have any opinion about co-op, but I guess it makes sense to have that kind of reward. Are there not already covenant-specific rewards for successful co-op?

I had forgotten about the fight with the demon firesage, and I guess he was dead by the time I got to Yhorm, because he never appeared there for me

Yeah, you have to follow his whole quest line to have him join you.

Only two - Deep Respect gesture for Vilebloods (requires 1 Blood Dreg that can be obtained by killing any random NPC Hunter like the ones in the Frontier) and Valtr's helm which is earned by crushing 5 Vermin (some hunter enemies in TOH drop Vermin but I'm not sure if you can get all 5 in one playthrough).
The only big nuance with Oaths is that even if you're summoned for co-op it might turn into PvP because the covenants are enemies, namely Vilebloods and Executioners. Hoonters of Hoonters will also be summoned as enemies if the host has killed another player at some point.

They felt much the same as in DaS1. People that sat in one place until their event flag was tripped. It's been years though but only Lucetiel and Behnart stick in my mind.

Demon's souls wasn't even about multiple parallel dimensions. All the phantoms are just humans in soul form. It was especially well utilized when Ostrava offs himself on the bridge and his black phantom immediately spawns.

I'll have to try it out when I replay DaS3 in a week or two to warm up for to the expansion.

Well that's pretty shit, I know I hear a lot of complaints about the multiplayer side of things. Of any of those I think I'd prefer to be a Hunter of Hunters.

I think NPCs standing around until their quest advances or until attacked isn't exactly what he was talking about, since Biorr's aid during the Penetrator is a sort of scripted event. The closest the Dark games come is when an NPC hollows.

Git gud
The lack of depth peception is an intended challenge you idiot.

Its basically a DPS check, lrn 2 play.

Would Pate and Creighton count? You find them duking it out in Tseldora and can take a side.
Alas, whoever wins they're both treacherous cunts.

The worst thing about MP is that outside the nightmare areas (Frontier and Mensis), you can only invade if the host has summoned help so every invader has to be prepared to be outnumbered and with a -30% HP penalty. I don't invade, I don't like dealing with invaders (since I make my builds for PvE) but even I think they got the short end of the stick in BB. DaS3 did something similar though not as severe.
IMHO they also missed the opportunity to make a area guardian covenant in Byrgenwerth. The area is small and can be done in a couple of minutes. Would also further drive the point that killing Rom is probably a terrible idea.

Also shame there wasn't anything more to the Beast and Milkweed runes, maybe something like the Dragon covenants in DaS. If not just to have something that could serve as a equivalent to the Red Sign Soapstone.

So me and a friend played through dark souls 1 together, I had to carry him a lot but we had fun, then moved onto 2 but his computer is fucked so we only got as far as the pursuer, so now we're gonna play Bloodborne together. I've done a mainly STR build my first (and did 4 fucking NGs on that char), then never finished my BLT or ARC builds. Should I go SKL when I play with him? What are some good weapons for it?

Blade of Mercy
Rakuyo
Threaded Cane
Simon's Bowblade (though this is more for SKL/BT)
Burial Blade (not all that good but really fun)

Also, since you'll invest on Skill, make sure to get the best Claw rune for a 30% damage boost in viscerals. You can even be a cheeky cunt and use all of them since they stack.

That encounter with the choir NPC at Byrgenwerth is in my opinion the best NPC fight in the game and better than some of the boss fights, so I would have hoped to see that arena used for a lot of PvP since it has so many interesting little areas for combat.

Isn't invasion also possible in the Chalice Dungeons? I guess I'm missing the drawback of having areas designated for people who want to invade and be invaded when alone and areas designated for people who want to invade and be invaded when with a summon.

Rakuyo is the best straight SKL weapon, but it should be mentioned that you have to go up against the most bullshit pain in the ass setup in the game to get it. Simon's Bowblade is the best SKL/BLT weapon and a personal favorite. SKL/ARC has weapons like Beasthunter Saif, or the Burial Blade, or Blade of Mercy, but it will be a long time before the arcane scaling is good for anything.

She probably got a higher kill tally than Rom.

Some dungeons have a chime maiden that calls invaders but I don't think any of the default ones fit that criteria.

I forgot about those two assholes. If there's ever a moment in this series to make someone go "I am NEVER doing this shit again!", that certainly takes the cake.

Side note, never noticed that the concept art for the space burrito has a much more human-looking face than the in-game model.

Fuck the choir NPC and fuck A Call Beyond.

The bloody crow of cainhurst is way worse though.

DS1:
>comfy hub area closely connected with various stages of the game fuck you anor londo

DS2:

DS3:

Honestly, the only thing DS2 has going for it was an eerie vibe near the pit and the house in the back (the one with the basement). It's like having a grave in your back yard I guess, but they completely failed to properly exploit it. It's shit once you see what's there really.

Also, warping should be end-game content (if you will have it at all). It kills every game completely because level-design is not required to be good and can't be good.

Honestly, the npc fights and bossfights are some of the mpost bullshit in the game. Now that I think about it, anything that can do a call beyond or something similar is a bullshit fight. Rom, ebrietas, the living failures, and the mensis fight. They are extremely bullshit mainly due to being able to one shot you if you get hit once with an attack since you cant avoid any of the other attacks. Not to mention how much health these bosses have, especially in chalice dungeons. The only other bullshit boss I can think of is laurence since his health is just os high that even his new game regular version takes like 10 minutes with good blood gems.

Probably the origin for the fan theories that Rom was once human before being transformed into his current form by Kos. I wonder if he was known to be vacuous before or after that, maybe his vacuousness is what compelled him to volunteer for experimentation. He wouldn't be the only student of Byrgenwerth who became a spider.

A Call Beyond's only a problem with Micolash because of the cramped space, for any other time you just have to learn the timing between the two phases of the attack.

Demon's Souls doesn't have good level design, then? It can't have good level design?

Laurence isn't too bad, he's only a threat really in his second phase because of the lava he shits out everywhere. Great theme for a mediocre boss.

Speaking of, Gehrman's theme is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard, not just in games but in general, but Gehrman himself isn't nearly hard enough for a final boss. If they gave him double the amount of health or just raised his defense, he'd be so much better, perfect even. He does insane amounts of damage but his HP is laughable, so the fight doesn't last long enough for me. Seems to be a trend in the souls series to make the final boss easy as shit. True king allant is a weak ass blob (though that's really not the actual final boss), Gwyn is parry2win, Nashandra dies from a small peck on the cheek and does basically no damage, I've already explained gehrman. I actually felt Soul of Cinder was perfect as a final boss. Great music, has lots of health, does good damage, a fuckton of variety in his moveset, great second phase. The first time I beat him I had 0 estus and like 1hp, as you can see. It felt like a completely fair and fun fight.

Gerhman only seems to get difficult if he is using his scythe with that buff he puts on himself. His first form with the scythe is difficult if you are using a slow and short weapon as well. I was disappointed in how easy the moon presence was.

Another problem I have with bloodborne is how shit an arcane build is in the early game and how the decent weapons are locked until the very end. You even need to farm dungeons to get gems to make them viable.

Yeah I forgot to mention moon presence, he's garbage, he gives a good spook when he takes you down to 1hp with that one shriek move but he sits there forever to let you both hit him a bunch and recover so it doesn't even matter.

And arcane is easy to start actually if you know how to build, combine bonemash, blood bullets, oil urns and the flamesprayer and you can kill amelia in literally 3 seconds.

didn't play it
What I'm trying to say is that you design levels around gameplay mechanics, and that if you have warping you'll have no need to have inter-connected map so why would anyone bother since it doesn't make it easier for the player in the first place.

Here comes my subjective preference though: compact map > isolated island-like zones

I am talking more about trying to farm some of the early game fire radials and element radials. Flamesprayer can only push you so far.

I hear what you're saying, but Bloodborne has warping right from the start and the map remains tightly interconnected. Whether the lanterns allowed you to warp to the hub or didn't doesn't change the level geometry itself.

The popularity of Dark Souls would show that most people agree with you, but I'd prefer that they go back to the individual levels, since so few games offer a similar setup. I could play a lot of things if I wanted an open world.

It's supposed to be the equivalent of the fight with the true King Allant inside the Old One, I don't think it was ever meant to be a challenge.

Fucking amazing. I started Bloodborne two days ago too, my first "souls" game too. So far it's all good, even if i have a bit of problem with timing the dodging and the parry and with Blood starved beast and Vicar Amelia, fucking bitch made me lose all the blood vials.
Doll is a qt.

Vicar amelia can't be parried. You can attack her head though to get a visceral attack. Blood starved best is weird as the parry times are weird and vary depending on the stage. You can parry him when he about to charge and after his last attack in a combo.

I mean I guess if they were going for the whole "Eldritch god of the dream stayed hidden away the whole game because he was so weak and him fighting you is a last resort"

I noted, i was talking in general, i have some problem with timing doges and parrying. One second it seems i understood the timing, the next i get my face smashed by the giant dude with the brick.

Sort of, you can still score viscerals, either by attacking her head like with the Cleric Beast or by knocking her legs out from under her. Her arms can also be crippled individually.

He's a god of death and he's pretty emaciated, it makes sense that he wouldn't be too good at toe-to-toe combat. Gehrman's a good final boss as is, I don't think they robbed you of anything.

Moon presence seems a bit harder than true king allant though and actually has some semblance of attack patterns along with varying moves.

What even is his deal to begin with? He controls the hunters' dream and chose Gerhman as his surrogate child?

Moon Presence (explicitly said to be nameless, but referred to as Paleblood by some characters) is sort of an odd one out in the pantheon of gods, in that it doesn't desire a surrogate child but instead wishes for the death of all other great ones and their children. It specifically seems to have a grudge against Oedon. Notes in the Lecture Hall imply that the school of Mensis knows that the moon presence exists, that it was first inadvertently called by the church hunters, that it's accelerating the beast plague, and that it compels hunters to hunt the great ones.

seems to me that it lures hunters to kill old ones and then absorbs their power into itself

I think for whatever reason the gods need a human host for control over their own dreams (or something human-like), the Hunter's dream was gehrman and you take his place if you kill him, mensis is Micolash, dunno who it is for the frontier, maybe patches? The nightmare is probably either Maria or Orphan.

I wouldn't mind it if the version we had was also good but it's godawful. Going up against bosses the size of brick shithouses and thinking I'm going to fuck them up with it and the damn thing almost always whiffs completely.
Personally and as far as a ARC build goes, I just use my bullets on Moonlight projectiles.

I always thought Rom was someone who got their brain deep fried by the Great Ones. Seems like Willem was on the same path given those Ebrietas-like tendrils he had growing on the back of his head.
As for Patches, I thought he was just a lackey of Amygdala or, judging by the others, maybe from Mensis.

I'd say it's because my first encounter with him was at NG++ but truth be told, I found Laurence difficult with every build but the STR (pizza cutter yo!). For me. him and the Orphan are the hardest bosses in the series. Orphan punishes impatience and back dashes so if you can keep those in check (and realize strafing is very effective with him), he's manageable but Laurence is that boss I feel I'll never have a solid strategy for. Even with 3 +25%-27% dmg gems, he still takes ages to bring down, can kill you in two hits even with the most optimal fire defense gear and has a set of moves so big, he's a threat at any range and baiting specific attacks feels almost impossible. Plus, like Orphan, he has no elemental weakness (though serrated weapons have a boost IIRC).
The alleged hardest boss in the series, Nameless King, can always be cheesed with pyros or Dark but Laurence won't have any of that shit.

Gehrman beat me like a drum in the first run. I wanted to end the game at Lv60 but ended up pumping 10 more because of him. The scythe swings have absurdly good tracking and do tremendous damage.
That said, in subsequent plays, either in NG+ or new builds, I managed to beat him quite consistently, sometimes without even needing to use the gun stagger.
At one point, Moon Presence was the one kicking my ass. Problem with Moon Presence and Yharnam is that I've little experience with them so it they somehow feel harder the more I play the game. This is also true for bosses I beat on my first attempt (like Amygdala and Dancer of the Boreal Valley) - I know it was a fluke and I didn't learn anything from it.

Seems like it. Also, the JP script seems to hint at the Doll knowing about MP. Sometimes you'll find the Doll praying to a certain "Flora of the Moon"; the JP script makes it evident that this Flora is the MP. (When he's not shilling his fanfics, Vaati can go over some interesting stuff.)
Now this is speculation on my part, but this could make the Doll into a equivalent of the Wet Nurse.

I think the Hunter's Nightmare is created by the collective consciousness of the Fishing Hamlet people who got skullfucked to kingdom come by Byrgenwerth scholars. They cast the curse but it's the Orphan that makes it happen since the Great Ones are sympathetic in nature.

Maybe not into itself, but has it right, it at least partially needs a human to fuel the dream. It does trap hunters in the dream for the purpose of hunting the old ones, but you're not supposed to realize you're being manipulated until the end. In fact, despite the fact that it didn't dawn on me until many playthroughs later, I think at the beginning you're supposed to believe that Mergo is what's causing everything to go so badly in Yharnam, to hoodwink you into slaying her.

Probably Maria, since you warp there through her headstone and all three levels have some significance to her.

He was, but if Micolash is to be believed, it was Kos who granted him eyes.
I think the dogheaded crows and the crowheaded dogs immediately prior to the encounter with all of the Patches spiders is supposed to imply that he's a creation of the school of Mensis, and it's not too much of a leap to say that it's a parallel with Rom. School of Mensis is just an offshoot of Byrgenwerth anyway.

That is some speculation, the first parallel between the Doll and the Moon Presence would be between the Maiden in Black and the Old One. She had a human life once and has some human memories, but now she's a servant to god, which is the only reason she's helping you.

Wet Nurse I thought it was implied is a creation of Oedon, or is at least is related to Oedon somehow, since he's also said to be formless and Mergo is his child.

What is the Orphan's tie to Gerhman though I wonder. They both look and sound similar, and the doll notes they are related. I also wonder what caused Kos to die.

In one of the trailers for the Old Hunters you can actually see Gehrman walking through the hamlet, I think it's supposed to imply he had a part in what happened there and it's his heavy regret that was imprinted on Kos's child.

the wolf boss isn't a looking glass gimmick, its just an NPC that you fight in the first part of it - which spawns the larger wolf once you get his health low enough / kill him. He's called grave warden something or other

For all intents and purposes the Hunter's Nightmare is Bloodborne's hell, which I think is where the explanation starts. There's an obvious parallel with Dante's seventh circle of the inferno and all of the rivers of blood boiling the sinners, and every NPC we encounter seems to be in their own personal hell. Laurence is forever burning from his guilt for burning down Old Yharnam that fateful night, Ludwig is the most grotesque and deformed church beast of them all, Maria is forced to watch the experiments of the Research Hall and even uses bloodtinge attacks against you, which we know she detests. Based on all of that I think the creature we see in the nightmare isn't the original orphan, but a mashup of the orphan and the part of Gerhman's soul trapped in hell.

Part of this comes from that one video explaining the original Jap translations for things, and the one that caught my eye was that the phrase "mercy for the poor wizened child" was originally "mercy for the infant born old". The motivation for everyone seeking godhood was to find a new life, so what could be more nightmarish than being born anew and already at the end of your life?

For a while I would have thought that Gerhman and his hunters killed her, but the description on the Kos Parasite explicitly says that her body washed up on the shore, it sounds like she died naturally. Apparently all the hunters did was desecrate her corpse while trying to study what made her a great one. Maybe hearing that Kos had washed up on the shore is what compelled them to even visit the Fishing Hamlet in the first place.

The doll's main purpose just seems to be to care for the hunters and gehrman, she doesn't know much beyond that.

She's also meant for fucking because gehrman's a dirty old bastard, remember when he said "You're welcome to use anything here." then whispers "Even the doll, should it please you."

Just got me wondering if there was some sort of underling relationship there, if the Doll "answers" to MP.
Great One (Flora/Oedon) > Caretaker (Doll/Wet Nurse) > Surrogate child (Gehrman/Mergo)

Kos could have died from childbirth complications and looking at that freak makes it plausible.
Just noticed and
made much more compelling points in this regard so no need for me to chime on anything else.

Seeing the guy with no pants and a staff plus sword and shield made me think it was a player. Thanks for clearing that up.

I forgot that in the JP script Rom is the Retarded Spider. pls no bully the space burrito

Maybe, it probably isn't a coincidence that a parallel can be drawn there, but it would be easier to sell if there were known to be caretakers for any of the other surrogate children. I guess it could be a special case for Oedon and Paleblood, since they're both implied to be very high-ranking old ones and polar opposites of each other in a lot of ways.

The surrogate child parallel that struck me the most about the Doll was with Gehrman, that he created the Doll as a surrogate for his lost "child" Maria. He was probably treating Maria like a surrogate daughter in the first place because he lost his own daughter, leading to his "curious mania".

Sh-shut up the doll is pure

"Child", yeah…
We all know why Maria offed herself and it wasn't over a bunch of gill freaks getting cranal probes or the Bubblicious-heads plip plopping around.
If she had knocked on the damn door, she wouldn't walk on Gehrman hot-gluing a doll made in her likeness. Just saying.

Speaking of daughters, Gascoigne's are probably the biggest kick in the balls in the series. There's really no winning on that situation.

I thought the doll was because Gerhman was obsessed with Maria and wanted to fug her.

Those things aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, but all of the details implying that the doll was well-kept (from the hair ornament to the descriptions on her clothes), I doubt it was purely for sex

But it describes that whoever took care of it had mania and was insane. Also maria is a vilebloode and I do not think Gerhman is a vileblood.

It says he had a curious mania, the word insane isn't used, and mania doesn't necessarily imply insanity. If you have a collection of anime figurines or body pillows you also have a curious mania.

She's from Cainhurst, she isn't a vileblood and hated the blood arts. The timeline is a little weird since we don't know how long ago Gerhman and Maria lived, but Maria was one of the earliest students of Byrgenwerth and Byrgenwerth predates the corruption of the blood at Cainhurst.

well outside of those areas that you can only reach via teleports, the map is very connected.

I wanna try doing an arcane build soon since I usually seem to struggle trying to get early fire gems. Does anyone have some adivce? IS the beasthunter saif a good arcane weapon?

Rush the DLC to get the MGS it's really the only actual arcane weapon in the game.

Kos Parasite

Don't some of the weapons also scale decently? I heard saw spear is a good fire and bolt weapon.

This is the scaling for all +10 weapons in the game, but Arcane works differently than the other stats. Most stats hardcap at 25, Arcane doesn't start scaling well until 40

Who would everyone say is the best boss fight in Bloodborne? I would have to say that I really enjoy the fight with gascoigne, but it can be cheesed using a whip or long weapon.

Apart from Gascoigne, Gehrman and Maria, I really liked Ebrietas for some reason.

I don't know if you would class this as a boss as it varies when you include the Chalice Dungeons but for me, the Abhorrent Beast I find a joy to fight. It's basically Flame Lurker 2.0 and just tops it out of the other great boss battles.

Fire Saw Cleaver for Beasts and Bolt Ludwig's Holy Blade for Kin are reliable weapons for the early game. Tonitrus is also good but Kin are also weak to Thrust hence the LHB suggestion.
Arcane Saif is good and helpful against the chalice mobs who are weak against Arcane.
Moonlight Sword and Kos Parasite really are the best though.
For the MS I recommend Nourishing Gems (boosts both forms of damage) and, overall, a decent investment in STR (maybe 30) so you can have a second source of damage to fall back to.

Even though he got me majestically assblasted, I'd say Ludwig. That phase 2 simply never loses its charm.
Amelia, Gehrman and Abhorrent Beast ( knows what's up) are also noteworthy.

While not favorites, I'll mention The One Stunlocked for bringing back the Tower Knight, set-up, fantastic theme and a visually interesting spin on the "agglomeration of tormented bodies" trope and the Living Failures simply for that moment when phase 2 kicks in that is for me one of the most memorable parts of the game.

what's the song in this called again?

The living failures I thought were boring for me mainly since they just has so much health and were just another kin boss with similar magic. The living failures' call beyond attack actually made me butt blasted a few times but then I realized I can just go stand in that one far off doorway to avoid it. It is at least a lot more manageable than ebrietas or chalice dungeon rom.

Ludwig in phase 2 is pretty cool, and it is also a lot more manageable than his first phase.

I was planning on making the saif my go to bolt and fire weapon before I can find a lost saw spear since that is much deeper that the saif. I was gonna then use the saw spear as my fire weapon and the saif as my bolt.

Bloodbourne was a new idea they made because they wanted to make a certain type of game.

Dark Souls 3 was a brand exercise to generate income, nothing more. It is creatively dead and as such is the worst game of the 5.

I genuinely feel sorry for mustards that got that instead of bloodborne. Thats like expecting a restaurant meal and getting burger king.

Let's hope that the DLCs bring some interesting ideas. 3's lore has potential in some areas

DS3 has lore? I thought it was 90% "Sullivan corrupted it lmao".

I am thinking of doing some PVP soon, but my main is around 160. Can I still find a decent amount of people at that level? I heard that people commonly fight at around 150.

I am hoping for more corrupted flame origin story and seeing what happened to the more esoteric parts of DS1 lore

3's lore is either "remember this dank meme xD" or "It was me, Pontiff!" and everything else is a reference.

Even the 'coming age of deep sea' is just a reference to the bloodborne expansion.

Its just a sad state to see DS3 be such a soulless, empty experience with no charm or enjoyable areas.

So i am farming the hot dog in the first chalice to get some fire gems, but the four times I have fought him I only seem to be getting +8.4% gems with physical attack bonus. Is this normal?

I meant to say +8.4% fire with a small increase to physical.

If he wanted to make it so bad why is it so fucking much like bloodborne,from combat, poise, level design, aesthetics and enemies, and so far from dark souls? Why is the combat so shit and limited to a few types of weapons being viable in pvp and pvecompared to DaS 1 and DaS2 dozens of viable weapons? You can tell no one gave a fuck about das3 and good riddance to it being the last in the series, at least it can't get worst than das3 anymore. Now why don't you nu-male cucks who love graphics born go back to reddit and your ps4s and get the fuck out of Holla Forums. Frankly its retards like you who want simplified combat and eat whatever shit put in your face so long as it was pretty is what killed this industry.

You seriously shiitting on das2 for the chosen one bullshiit, when das3 starts out calling you the fucking king set to save the world and save everyone forever? Why not be consistent in your criticisms? And ds3 even goes on about how you're made of how you're made of ash and better than those shitty hollows?

Both of you are retarded. Stop sperging out so hard. Dark souls 2 is shit, Dark souls 3 is fun but has little build variety. Bloodborne is fun but has some flaws.

Dark souls 3 is shit. Its a game with little content, no reason to go into ng+, where over half the weapons types are not viable in pve or PvP , with nostalgia bosses out the ass, and bloodborne combat with broken poise and movesets in das3 giving a disjointed feeling to the game. The only people who like das3 more than 1 or 2 are bloodborne fags that wanted it more than dark souls and approve miyazakaii killing the last of the genre for his bloodborne fetish. You have shit taste.

I think OP, this thread, and practically any other thread proves that people who like Bloodborne don't like DaS3. It was a perfectly pleasant thread until you came along to take a shit on it, chill out, there is no reason to be upset.

Hahahah, no.

Sony already confirmed that no game with a multiplayer component will be getting a 60fps patch for the Pro.

You will never play BB at 60fps.

Oh and Miyazaki somehow managed to make the covenants worse in 3, compared to 2, placed even more fucking bonfires making the game even easier, ramped up the cheap surprise attacks by enemies from 2 and even added in bank squad groups, then made PvP bank squads while gimping invaders health and stats, and even managed to make boss weapons shit for some odd reason, so a you use is the weapon you start with or a fucking rapier.

Anectdotal evidence. Plenty of people point out how it's often the sony fags who like dark souls 3, and a cursory read through of this thread shows it was ruined long ago.now take your bloodborne worship back to cuck Chan and stay there.

By that right Dark Souls 2 is the shittiest of the series and DeS>DaS. Without AotA the second half of DaS1 is worse than the consistency of DeS, IMO.

Yes, even with the DLC.

DaS=BB>DeS>>>DaS3>>>>literal dogshit>>>>DaS2

Oh yeah? Who, you? Where are these imaginary people who agree with you that Sony fanboys are the ones worshipping a multiplat game? If anything it's the PC audience, if you remember the desperate attempts to call DaS3 "Demon's Souls 2", just like what happened with DaS2.

How about you just post in a different thread if you're only here to shit it up?

Oh and two people in one thread does not speak for the majority of the bloodborne community, contrary to what you imply.
Why don't you fuck ass.

Fucks sakes.
This is for you

Fuck ass.

Even if it wasn't more than two people in this thread, which it is, it's more than just you and your army of imaginary friends. I don't think I have ever once seen someone say the faster combat in DaS3 is a good thing, everyone complains about the dexfag spam fest. Bloodbornefags would just play Bloodborne if they wanted to, don't know why you're thinking they'd like a game that can also be enjoyed by the mustard peasants.

Only when your mother asks for it

Agreed there, but I prefer the thematic elements of DeS to DaS as a whole (There is bias as it's my first game too), and how the level designs are all unique and different enough from each other, feeling like a separate adventure each. The interconnected world of Dark Souls is very cool but it's inconsequential when you measure the whole game up, IMO.

DeS has 5 paths after 1-1 Boletaria:
Boletaria Palace 1-2, Stonefang Tunnels 2-1, Tower of Latria 3-1, Shrine of Storms 4-1, and Valley of Defilement 5-1. Each one is thematically strong, and has it's unique design and mechanics to enjoy, with World Tendency for replayability. It's just a shame the PvP was shit, fucking grass and spice.

DaS has 5 effectively With Master Key:
Catacombs, Undead Burg, Valley of Drakes: Blight Town or Darkroot Basin(Leads to Darkroot Garden/Forest or back to Undead Burg), and New Londo.

Replayability is in how you tackle the first few zones leading up to Sen's Fortress. After O&S the game is weaker than any other game in the franchise (after 15 Cycles I always end up stopping after AotA before possibly begrudgingly sludging through the Demon Ruins & Izalith and wishing I hadn't) with the exception of AotA adding more good stuff. (Painted World is pre-O&S accessible). PvP's problem is Poise lead to cookie-cutter builds that are boring as fuck and ugly as sin, but otherwise really good.

My personal listing goes like this:

DeS=BB>>DaS>>DaS3>>Literal Dog Shit>>DaS2

Stil I am hopeful with the two DLCs for DaS3. If they are at least AotA level (and the signs are pointing quite well to it), it might have good contention, more chance to flesh out level design, lore, and add lots of variety to the weapons. Gameplay wise, I don't know which one is my favourite, all the games have problems, all of them are fun though (DaS2 being the least well designed).

Steam games are "long tail" as well due to sales. People even made DaS PVP videos based on the surge in players after sales.

As someone who replayed DeS fairly recently, I honestly can't agree. I played it after DS2, so I don't have the nostalgia effect - and it just wasn't as good as Bloodborne or DaS (with the DLC). Several areas were just shit (like the tunnels of camera-fucking), item burden, world tendency, grinding, grass (DaS 1 had the single best healing system in the franchise), shitty falling "system", the inclusion of like 3 places total in the game where you can pull yourself up ledges and so on. It isn't a terrible game, but it has problems, and it is nowhere near as interesting as Bloodborne IMO.

Of course, Bloodborne has issues, and I fervently wish it came out on PC. The visual downgrade it suffered makes me really want to see what some of the later game areas looked like before release.

Huh, I didn't think I'd see someone that shared my opinion when it came to the level design. It's refreshing to see. I personally still find DeS draws me back the most as well, the levels are by far the best design in the series. I also agree with BB's strength in the bosses and specifically the areas you mentioned.

There are plenty of ways to beat O&S without summons, both with pure melee and other methods. EpicNameBro (ugh I should kill myself, mentioning e-celebs) showcases how to dex kill them with a bow and stuff, but my favourite is the guy in video embed, who beat them with a rockband drum kit.

Christ that was such a poor design choice, especially since the Road of Sacrifices and the Crucifixion Woods are such lame boring areas. I've said it before a thousand times and I'll say it again, Dark Souls 3 would have seriously benefited from some non-linear design in how it's world fitted together. Even fucking Dark Souls 2 has multiple paths to go through.

Maybe some remixed version will come out that will try to fix this but fuck, having to go through the same areas in the same order every playthrough makes replays a lot less fun then they should be in a Souls game.

Bloodborne has this problem to but to a lesser extent since the game world is much smaller and more tightly connected in comparison, still wish there were more areas to explore in the early game before you kill Vicar Amelia though

You can take them down by going full turtle mode with a shield and spear easily enough.

What Bloodborne needed was more content. You could easily turn the misty streets where you find the skeptical man and the whore into a massive area and make it work (maybe add a new enemy type or two that can take advantage of the environment). After that you'd be able to add an actual library somewhere (turn the Nightmare library into a real area, stick it in Yharnam somewhere) and make Upper Cathedral Ward a bit more substantial (it's one room, four hallways and a boss).

I miss those days.

You mean the university building right, I mean moving that somewhere else outside of the nightmare would fuck with the lore, but you could easily make a different university building or just have a big chunk of the university suspiciously missing, and then have the player visit in the nightmare later on.

Shit a spooky beast/eldritch horror filled university sounds fucking great, god damn I wish Bloodborne had more content.

I disagree with most points personally but will explain my reasoning, of course this is all in my opinion:

My last DeS playthrough was around February, gonna split up the post so it's easier to read:

-Never needed to grind on grass, just get the right equipment, and you'll get grass naturally anyway. I always build for light/medium armour in DeS with an emphasis on dodging and two-handing, using abjudicator's shield for HP regen, no need for grass farming after that.

-Tunnels never bothered me with camera angles (memorized where every enemy is, so it isn't an issue), it's a problem in all the games at some point, so I take it as part of the series.

-Item burden is annoying but Stockpile Thomas exists and if you mean equipment, meh, argument can be made for Dark Souls as well (the ring of great/herculean strength exist as well).

-World Tendency is best controlled by playing offline, and learning how to game it. If you're always in soul form you never affected it, bring it up to pure white first by beating the boss/dragons/etc, an hero in the nexus, then beat the next boss, repeat, etc, do all pure white events, use stones of ephemeral eyes to revive and kill yourself until it's black/kill the npcs in body form, etc. There's guides out there that tell you how to do it, it only sucks the first time when you have no idea or if you play online and let the servers fuck it up. The tendency doesn't shift until you return to the nexus, so you can do all the events of PW then move back into PB and do all PB events.

- Grinding - This is the one I'll give for sure. There's no arguing for the grind needed for upgrade stones, it's the worst in the series, right next to Bloodborne's Chalice Dungeons. Still you don't need a fully upgraded weapon to beat the game, crystal lizards help a lot.

- Falling "system" - What are you referring to here? Platforming has always been shit in souls, always will be. If you mean Character tendency, meh only matters for very specific weapons/optional quest and very specific stats that only really matter in PvP (don't need to worry about it to beat the game).

- The ledge thing - Also agreed here, it's a silly inconsistency.

It's got it's flaws but I think they're really not as bad as they're made out to be in general.

The second half of DaS will always be shittier than the first half, DaS2 will always be the shittiest because it's out of place design wise and gameplay wise, DaS3 has potential but is the middling game since it attempts to use the best things but falls flat (BB level design philosophy, DaS weapon variety, PvP system that misses on both fronts because it couldn't decide to be one or the other, etc), BB lacks content and variety and can be grindy too (Chalice Dungeons).

Yeah the linearity is a big bite but from what I've read in the Miyazaki interview, a lot of more open level design is planned as well as gothic themes. BB did large open areas better (Forbidden Woods was amazing for this), and I'm hoping to at least see that with the new DaS3 DLC. Here's to hoping it's available at an earlier point in the game too, so it adds branching paths.

This is why I still prefer DeS, you get to take the game any way you want and don't have to have a specific starting item (Master Key) to do it, DaS as well but the latter half is so boring to me at this point I never bother going past AotA after O&S as stated previously.

Where did I say that? Though, for a first time player I can see why he had problems believing you don't need summons to do it. I never did, but I had DeS under my belt, well over 30 playthroughs.

I kinda wish there was poise but done a bit differently so you got better consistency. Like a system where sets give you more poise than individual pieces, in increments based off the number of armor pieces (2 parts of elite knight=poise bonus 1, 3=poise bonus 2, etc). On top of this, it'd give a bonus for consistent colour themes of armor, that way if everyone goes cookie cutter, at least they look good doing it rather than having our havel arms and legs mixed with an assortment of sets, or giantdads with lightning claymores, or any other flavor of the month/meta build. Would be cool if they expounded on the idea too, sets that give minor boosts with more pieces (stamina regen, equip weight reduction, etc). Of course only if they could balance it right. The lack of poise is a different kind of cancer altogether.

I prefered when poise was a number and you could equip heavy armour to make that number higher and you wouldn't get stun locked by whatever R1 spam based dex weapon every faggot and their chronically disappointed mother was running around with at the time.

It doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.

The problem with set bonuses is that it limits fashion souls unless you add some kind of armour transmog system like WoW or Diablo 3 have. And fashion souls is half the point of these games.

In my opinion, if you're hit, you should be punished, simple as that. But stacking poise doesn't make you flinch even if you're standing still and can effortlessly eat multiple attacks. Aside from that, you also get reduced damage (which should have been enough on its own), not to mention you can also upgrade the armor further and raise a ton of HP, on top of being able to heal in the face of your opponent.

I understand the goofiness of it and why people might enjoy it, and I myself like over-powered and broken mechanics sometimes. But almost completely bypassing the risks involved from taking damage while allowing you to swing fast weapons with the same speed is just too much. It's an abstract design choice which you can basically toggle on/off with a few button presses that trivializes many fights in the game.

Dark Souls 3's hyper armor was a much more elegant solution. The idea is that "poise" comes from swinging heavy weapons. The problem (like anything FromSoft does, it's always extremely flawed) is

My personal solution would be incredibly simple: Release a patch that ties heavy armor with the Poise stat. The higher the poise, the higher frames of heavy armor and the more damage reduction you have. They'd kill two birds with one stone and make strength builds even more reliable, while forcing the player to actually do something during the fight in order to trigger those resistances.

I meant hyper armor

I exactly just that. Bought Ps4 and BB+dlc played it like crazy for a few month then resold it for 80% of the price. If you average out the costs it came down to the equivalent of 40$ per month. Not a bad deal if you ask me. I had my jollies with it but its a shame the game numbers dropped like the stockmarket in '29 when DS3 got released.

I would have rather had another DLC to flesh out the world and add more stuff to the game ( some artfags made concept art for potential level and assets) as well fix the fucking Evelyn.Goddamn is evelyn the single most broken fucking thing in pvp.
Gonna be dumping concept because it's fun to dream what could've been

I agree but there's an issue where people start aiming for high poise to weight ratios, which just leads to the hands down ugliest looking mishmash sets worn by scrubs all over. Dark Souls 3 lets for better fashion because poise isn't a factor, but like you and says, without a mechanic in place to stop R1 spam, we get cancerous builds like estoc R1.

I think the solution is better than the one I proposed, overall.

Also make way lads best girl coming through

But making poise worthless has just further killed playing a heavily armoured knight with a huge fuck off weapon in Dark Souls.

It just feels like the entire gameplay of Dark Souls, at least for retards like me who like their heavy armour and great hammers, had to compromise around fucking dex weapons. So now the only viable builds in Dark Souls are dexy mcslash faggot with a pokey piercing weapon for the armoured enemies.

And I mean at least in Dark Souls 2 you could play an omni-mancer and still have fun.

Dark Souls 3 is literally dexfags only at this point because heavy weapons are slow and do less DPS than smaller weapons and magic is fucked all to shit. The entire meta is fastest roll possible with the fastest weapon possible so you can stun lock people with attacks because poise doesn't fucking do anything anymore.

Maybe I'm just butthurt idk.

Right, but what I propose is a middle ground. The issue with DS1 was that poise allowed the player to be too passive, and spam fast weapon attacks whenever they feel like it without getting knocked out of their combo.

If FromSoft expanded more on hyper armor by tying it with Poise the way I suggested (mainly for heavier weapons, of course), it would encourage the player to be more active during a fight, but not by spamming attacks mindlessly either, as hyper armor should only activate in certain parts of the animation.

I think it would be cool to delve into more 'civil war' aspect between the various factions between the hunters and the church. There are a lot of questions that can answered.

Who was that Archibald guy who made all the fucking lightning weapons?
Why were the Powderkegs exiled?
Why are the workshop hunters all but gone?
Whats the deal with the vile bloods. There are a lot of areas in their mansion that are left empty while it obviously looks like something was planned there. (blood clump you get queen yarham, crown of illusions, ring of marriage etc)

Would have been nice to have more blood magic like Pthumery Queen Yarham did or like the Chicago.

So people wearing heavy armour have to be careful when and where they attack because they're praying for hyper armour that activates at SOME point during their attack animation, and will probably take extreme counter damage. Meanwhile dex-fag mcrollsalot just rolls circles around the strength character and goes for either a backstab or just gets in position to R1 spam the second the animation finishes playing out so the hyper armour is gone.

Wew.

Lad.

Here's a better cure: Heavy armour with lots of poise requires Strength to wear. The better the defense and poise, the heavier the armour, the more strength required. So if you want to wear heavy armour you need strength and equip load to wear it. If you want to be an estoc spamming cock faggot R1 cockbreathed faggot who loves dicks for breakfast you have to invest in strength and vitality just to be able to wear your heavy armour so you can do le epic meme ultrapoise r1 spam in a corner build. And investing points in strength and vitality with a dex weapon means you'll have to also sacrifice points in dex, vigor and endurance meaning you've gimped yourself more than you've helped yourself. So naturally strength characters will be more inclined to have big heavy weapons with big heavy armour and get the old Dark Souls 1 style ultra poise so they don't have to worry about being stunlocked by Ricard's fucking Rapier every time they swing.

Ludwig is my man. Most feelsy fight and does push your shit it if you are not ready for it.

That said if we count the chalice bosses I quite like the Keeper of Secrets or what ever the spooky witch lady name is.
I love how a quick 1-2 hit + sets her up for an easy parry. Especially easy with the Saif.
I wanted to have her weapon so bad for my ARC char

It's no different than timing a roll to activate iframes, user. Hyper armor is a mechanic that's already in place in DS3. You can notice this by charging a Greatsword strong attack for example, and if timed properly it can tank through almost anything. That's what I did on my Strength build against Nameless King and Soul of Cinder. The problem is that damage increases exponentially in NG+ and higher, so it stopped being a viable strategy from my experience, which brings me to my next point.

Which is what I mentioned earlier, my solution would be that Poise would also increase the defense to couter-damage when swinging heavy weapons, and perhaps increase the frames of hyper armor as well, just like there's a ring that increases iframes when you roll.

Your solution is not bad though, and it would definitely reduce Poise+Dex combination by a large margin. The issue is that it revolves back to DS1's style poise to an extent, by allowing the player to be too passive during a fight. If poise (in other words, the state of not flinching) is always on, the player can just eat multiple attacks like before without them even doing anything.

But that's the fun part of wearing heavy armour, having people poke at you with their iddy biddy weapons and not taking much damage while you line up a good hit. But considering you'd be using a quite heavy, slow and stamina consuming weapon with that armour there's lots of chances for someone to get safe hits in. It basically becomes like a boss fight, don't let the person hit you with their enormous mace, it'll hurt lots, and take your attacks when you can.

You have to remember that people wearing heavy armour rarely get past midroll equip loads either, so their only defensive option will be either a sub-par roll or a shield.

Basically being passive in fights is just another playstyle, not everyone has to be rolling around and pressing R1 once every 10 seconds. Being an indomitable but slow glacier of a knight is just funner for some people than being a speedster with whatever meme dex weapon is popular at the time and 20% equip load.

I enjoyed bloodborne a lot but I hated the environments. Victorian architecture and level design is so boring, and they just reused the same generic vaguely thematic assets everywhere.

Fair point, I guess. What I proposed was basically making due with FromSoft's mentality they had for DS3, which I don't think would change things too dramatically in their eyes but still be slightly better than what we have now.

Oh, I didn't mean taking it out of the Nightmare - I meant more along the lines of making a copy (there's Nightmare Frontier and Nightmare of Mensis after all). What that area should have been was the basement/lower floors of Byrgenwerth, with the existing interior at the top.

The "university" area that you'd stick in Yharnam itself would probably be some sort of research/experimentation lab regarding the scourge of the beast, and involve a bunch more navigating Yharnam roofs/houses (which you really don't do enough of, given how much effort went into the assets for them).

You never needed to grind on grass if you got any of the regeneration items which trivialised HP management/the game. This isn't good either.

The tunnels are a boring area in general, the enemies you fight there are aggravating and the camera issues are just the cherry on top. If the camera stayed inside the tunnel all the time it wouldn't magically make that area any better.

Stockpile Thomas existing doesn't make the issue go away. Discovering that you have to permanently miss out on the fluted armor or whatever because you didn't have enough burden is really, really shit. Equip burden is fine.

World tendency being gameable breaks the flow of the game and causes you to do a bunch of weird, counter-intuitive actions to max it. It sucks the first time, and it doesn't really add anything the next time.

Largely in agreement on grinding, but I'll add that crystal lizards are incredibly frustrating in DeS.

The falling I'm referring to is the physics. It's not a major gripe, but it is annoying (and fuck the descent to flamelurker). It sucks in other games, but it sucks the most in DeS. I have no problems with character tendency, but I'm not anxious to see it come back either.

As for the other comments, largely agreed. My assessment of Das3 was "Not the best now, has the potential to be better than 1 with the DLC", and we've got a long wait to see how that turns out. The chalice dungeons are the worst part of BB and unfortunately practically mandatory if you want to get the best gems for certain builds. Game would be better without them and if the mandatory ones were just stuck in the game itself in appropriate locations (and had more effort put into them, even if the Isz visual effects are incredibly cool).

Agreed come of the best and worst bosses are in the Dungeons.
Abhorrent beast in Loran comes to might. Such a hard fight to master would be nice if he was in the game as real boss not a side show from that blind beggar

I'm still yet to fight the Bloodletting Beast and Queen.

Possibly the hardest fight I had on my hands. You meet him on the 4th level of the Loran dungeon. Never could beat him fair and square always had to cheese him with bone dust and poison daggers.

Pthumerian queen is a pushover. She posesa decent challenge if you solo her but if you are just doing dungeon for the material runs you can summon Killer Queen Executioner (kinda appropriate name i find) from the old hunter bell and just stunlock her with charged backstabs. Kind of a letdown tbh, still you have plenty of other cool bossfights. Pthumerian elder and descendands are particulary cool fights, make sure to bring you arcane dmg for them.

You're agreeing with him on every point except the one you don't understand. No your personal or anecdotal experiences don't mean shit.

It's that there's a solution to every presented issue except the grind, the falling and ledges.

Your comment doesn't mean shit and contributes nothing, like the rest of your posts. Mr low functioning bait.

Grow some skin. Any. And do you even know what bait means?

I prefer Bloodborne because I hate using shields and fuckhuge ridiculous towering weapons

I've tried many times in Dark Souls 1, 2, and 3 to make a swift dual daggers or even just a shield-hating spellsword but it always makes getting through the game a gigantic pain in the ass.

Fucking take it like a man and die, you fucking pussies.

You forgot to change your ID, OP

No I didn't, I have no desire whatsoever to change my ID

PvP is an opt-in, you fuck. If he doesn't wanna get fucking killed, he shouldn't be running around sparkling like a Twilight Vampire.

So you were responding to yourself, explaining to yourself that you agree with yourself as to why you like a game, not because you were trying to pretend to be a different person responding to keep your thread alive, but just because it's your thread and you'll do whatever you want?

You're reason souls pvp have turned into a gank fest.

Kill your self you degenerate shitter.

yeah

I wasn't pretending to be anyone else though

Weebs are a unique peoples and we will never understand their customs

DS2's solution was the same thing as DS3, but better.

Just figured I'd put this out there, that's not quite how poise works in Dark Souls III. Dark Souls III's poise gives you hyper armor as you say, but the hyper armor or "poise" that it gives you is a flat amount and enemies interrupt you by bankrupting your hyper armor value. Every time an enemy hits you, their weapon applies a certain amount of poise damage. Enough poise damage and your hyper armor hits 0 and you become staggered.

Here's the problem… In NPCs, this value resets immediately and enemies can begin swinging/blocking almost right away. In PCs, this value only resets after not taking damage for 30 seconds or upon interrupting a series of attacks after your hyper armor has been reduced to 0.

Reach weapons are literally the best weapons in the game because you can tag people from a distance and keep reducing their poise to 0, and then you've got them stunlocked, and you just keep hammering them like a Bangkok whore. If it weren't for the fact that your character will run out of stamina, you could keep them stunned forever.

This system is really broken and doesn't really work, and I do wish that From would reconsider or maybe implement a ring which changes the way it works or something. The Estoc (the fastest starting weapon; yes faster than the spear) has the highest poise damage on it. Think about that, the FASTEST starting weapon, a thrust sword, has the HIGHEST POISE DAMAGE of the starting weapons. Its animations are the shortest, it uses the least amount of stamina to swing. It's no wonder that every fucking speedrunner chooses the Assassin as their starter character.

I'd like Marie Rose if she was younger, flatter, and had a more childlike figure.

I'd like her more if she was all those things too.

I think you just described DS2. I'm pretty sure you get hyper armor consistently from swinging a big weapon in DS3, and certain charged attacks. I certainly don't remember ever needing to wait for hyper armor to come back on. Do you have a source for that?

darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Poise

You just always stagger in DS3 unless you're in hyperarmor frames, and will stagger out of HA frames if you run out of poise. That's how it works. You will get staggered and have your poise value reduced if you get hit out of HA frames no matter what your poise is.

Complete tangent from the poise problem, why does the estoc have to be obnoxiously good every game, either initially with a later nerf that makes it mediocre or forever which makes you look and feel like scum for using it? It's very aesthetically clean, fills an interesting niche depending on game of non-featherweight dex weapon, non-spear length stabbing strength weapon, or in DS3's case, both, and has slick little caning R2 slash attacks. It's probably my favorite mundane, non-fantasy weapon of the lot. I just want it to be a moderately good niche weapon for a man-at-arms or hedge knight build. Why does it have to be broken? Hasn't From learned from four iterations of the formula how to tune their weapons relative to each other?

My only answer is "fuck no." Honestly, you're talking about a company who makes the most powerful weapons in a game about European fantasy the fucking Asiatic weapons. Katana are always outstripping every other weapon, they get higher adjustments, they penetrate armor, they have bleed damage on them, and they have some of the strongest effects in Dark Souls III.

From doesn't balance weapons.

The question was rhetorical, but yeah, it'd be nice if they didn't make katanas so above average when they aren't even rare to find anymore and generally aren't as fragile as they were.

And here one asks; why? They care enough to reactively nerf things into the ground when they start becoming ubiquitous. Couldn't they just listen a little bit closer to the aftermath and to the less prevalent balance dicketry? Or at least hire some shitty otaku & gaijin to do the job, while having inhouse testers verify what they report? Make big nerf, see if anyone bothers to use the weapon anymore. If they do, it's probably okay to be left like that. If it's totally abandoned, rollback the nerf halfways or so and see how much it resurges. Repeat until desired variety of gimmick weapon use is attained.

Is the estoc still usable? I'm considering making a new character now, have it in order for Ariandel. I don't care if you can't bestoc people to death with R1 spam, I've always liked it more for having a combo slash R2 instead of a bigger poke to complement the pokes and it ought to be a ranging weapon anyways.

So, Poise is already tied with hyper armor after all. This is some convuluted shit, I remember tanking through boss attacks with a Greatsword build, I only had light armor and no Wolf ring equipped, and still managed to finish those fights relatively fast on NG.

Whatever the case may be, stagger resistance does refresh after 30 seconds OR if I'm hit again after it reaches zero. So what would the recommended poise value be?

I don't even look at poise anymore, I build either for the theme I'm going for, or I go for the highest of whatever value I need.

i.e.:
This is a fire boss, what is my highest fire resist?
This is a cocksucker, what is my highest physical resist?

etc

It'd be nice if there were a legit loli character in a 3D fightan game.

Would anyone be willing to help me with ludwig? I am level 68 and he is shitting on me.

He's pretty tough and the first phase is probably the hardest but pull through and you can do it. Lv60-70 is fairly appropriate for the DLC.
Ludwig is weak to both fire and serrated weapons.
Phase 1 will certainly require knowing his moves and how to dodge them while phase 2 is almost a race to get to him and stay on his sides at all time, taking swings between dodging his close range swipes.

With what you'll be up against, you'll think Ludwig was easy, trust me.

WOW
Good job anons

I thought Ludwig was not weak to serrated? Everywhere i checked lists him as not being weak to it.

After double-checking it, indeed the wiki does say he doesn't take extra damage from serrated weapons.
Apologies. I was likely under that impression since you can make him bleed from the sides.

Would you mind helping me beat him? I have beat him on other characters before, but he is honestly the most difficult dlc boss for me outside of Laurence.

Most DLC bosses are a big step over the vanilla ones in terms of difficulty; Gehrman who used to trounce me feels easy and forgiving compared to Ludwig, Orphan and Laurence.

Pardon for you leaving you hanging but I'm just about to call it a night and, admittedly, it's been a while since I last fought him. In case you can't find players, remember there's always Valtr if you got the Confederate Oath rune on.

I think the major problem is that ludwig just has a lot of instances, especially in his first phase, where he can one shot a player with no problem. He has no room to get rally health back.

Shifting the conversation to Bloodborne, I finally got the Burial Blade. What's the best way to squeeze damage out of this thing? I'm playing 40/40 Skill and Arcane build. Is the default version the best one?

bump

I appreciate the effort user-kun, but it's over

F

Can we use it for bloodborne? I'm at my first playthrough, needing tips.
So far i beat Cleric Beast, Father Gascoigne, blood starved beast and vicar amelia, darkbeast paarl, witch of hemwick and shadows of yarnham.
Where should i go now? Did i miss something?

Go to the courtyard where the really fuckhuge big giant men were pacing around and they should be asleep.

Look for a door that's not attached to a fence.

Poke around there for a while and see if you can find your way to a new area.