Ace Combat Thread

HARDWARE EMULATION FOR ACE COMBAT 4, 5, AND 0 IS HERE!

Here's how to do it:

1. Grab the latest build of PCSX2 from this link buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/index.php

2. And then configure PCSX2 as you would have before with your own preferred settings. (I believe using GSdx is mandatory for the renderer)

3. Once you've set up everything including the graphics renderer. Go to your PCSX2 folder and navigate to PCSX2/inis/ and edit the GSdx.ini file with notepad or other text editor of your choice.

4. Append "UserHacks_mipmap=1" minus the quotation marks somewhere on the file. Save and close.

5. Boot up AC5/Zero (It does fix AC04's ground textures also but it doesn't fix the black player aircraft and sun flare issue)

6. You're good to go!

Also general Ace Combat/planefu thread.

>Why do 5th gen fighters look so damn sexy?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/undefined-darkness/open-horizon
zxstudio.org/blog/
nettsteder.regjeringen.no/kampfly/2016/03/01/f-35-i-naerkamp-hva-har-jeg-laert-sa-langt-the-f-35-in-a-dogfight-what-have-i-learned-so-far/
youtu.be/ZtZNBkKdO5U
youtu.be/LyHlp7tJrxY
youtu.be/31oJIo8EVwY
youtu.be/9s7-3EUXC_w
mobile.nytimes.com/1977/05/01/archives/f-16-fighter-program-is-hurt-by-delays-government-accounting-office.html
acecombat.wikia.com/wiki/Strangereal_timeline
instructables.com/id/Mod-a-PlayStation-2-Slimline-for-FREE!-NO-CHIPS!/step3/Last-step-of-modding/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

boomp

Open source ace combat soon fellow pilot

Can't fucking wait dude

BELKA STRONK
WE SOON SHALL TAKE BACK GLORIOUS BELKAN CLAY

There is a God, holy shit.

sonycucks btfo. pc always wins baby

Now it's only a matter of time before the PS3 is cracked wide open and AC Infinity is taken as well

WHY NO 7 NEWS

Oh, come the fuck on…

Not like this fixes all the shit wrong with PCSX2. The emulator is still a mess.

GLORY TO BELKA
WE WILL SOON RECLAIM RIGHTFUL BELKAN CLAY MY BROTHER

FUCKING YELLOWS

Also how do we get mark to add ISAF and Razgriz flags?

get a modchip for your PS2 and enjoy PS2 games proper.

Ask him.

Hello grandpa, the 00s called, they want your senile ass back.

Played AC4. Should I go to AC5 or 6 next?

is softmodding good enough for piracy and general homebrew stuff?

Two specific games won't run, (r&c 3 and a marvel one I don't remember the title of) rest works the same mostly.

Recently went through it. Zero is pretty good, First time I heard Zero (song) I was pretty pumped. Trying to take Pixy straight on while he fired those AoE missiles were a nightmare as my computer isn't the best to handle emulation. Pretty good story as well.

But 5, and Unsung war… That's the best flight game I've ever played. 30 missions, leading a squadron, the twists and turns of the story. Naval missions with anti ship missiles were probably my favorite, sinking that sub for instance.
And the tenseness of the rescue missions, failed a few times because I left an AA emplacement alive while the heli flew over it.
Wish there were more flight games like that, focusing on your squad in the war.
Favorite mission was Chain Reaction, civilian airport under fire but then the transport planes open up and out come tanks. Journey Home is a great song as well.

4 and Mobius were okay, had some graphical problems when running it again but was pretty solid all around.
The canyon runs were a bit tricky to handle, often I'd get the camera in the wrong angle or go too fast and end up crashing.

Holy Trinity held up. Glad I played them.

Get AC6, then play AC0, and finally AC5.

While AC6 is still a good game, it's not as good as AC5 or AC0.

It's pretty great. I've got my PS2 slim connected with my PC, playing games straight off the hard disk with the loader.

Don't forget the AC2 remake for the 3DS.

Oh and my favorite plane is the F-15 S/MTD. Just the way it handles while dog fighting.
Also like the F-4.

CUM HISTORIA!

Will this allow the game to finally run on a laptop?

AC5 is shit though user, it's got terrible enemies, a worse story, and the way kono set it up has it with so many scripted areas that replay-ability is killed

is that an F15 with thrust vectoring or some shit?

The story of 0 is underwhelming when compared to 5. 0 has better aces and Pixy can actually be useful from time to time, but I still like 5 more.

What game should a newfag play first, one of these or a PSX version?

Yep, but the program was scrapped and it never saw action unfortunately.
Just turning in combat is a work of art.

Ace Combat Assault Horizon user :^)

Cause it's so terrible it will shatter all your expectations so when you go to play the Holy Trinity you'll be amazed at how good they are

Hey guys. What are the best ace combat experiences on the ps3?

I fucking love the F15

Buying a PS2

Japanese AC3

best plane indeed but I like Harrier just as much

I'm using a 710m and a i5-3230m. Will I finally be able to enjoy AC5 and AC0 properly?

Reminder that any aircraft above 4th Gen is a shit and the biggest faggots around like 5th Gen aircraft.

OH SHIT
SON
WE HD NOW

We got any love for the Foxhound in here?

GSDX OLDER DEVS B T F O

No thanks.

Probably not, that's fairly underpowered on the Graphics side. You can try if internet isn't an inhibitor.

Wait
wait
WAIT
Does this fix Ridge Racer V?

user I like aircraft that can turn.

Grabacr pls goe

AC5 has the most planes and most missions in any AC game. (Other than 3). You're just not cumming historia hard enough. And any cheesy dialogue in the game is part of the charm

this nigga gets it

I bet you're one of those people who unironically think that we can just upgrade legacy aircraft, aren't you faggot.

Shit forgot the images I was gonna post with this

Always go in release order, user.

04 on the PS2 is generally one of the best games to start from, then you'll want to play 5, then Zero.
They aren't referred to as the Holy Trinity for nothing, you two.

user, a lot of Gen 2 aircraft have that shit.

Gen 2 aircraft don't have the sensors or equipment to have the same battlefield awareness as 5th gen aircraft. Hell, even in the 4th gen most aircraft were killed by missiles they didn't know were coming.

Exactly zero 2nd gen fighters have chines, which hugely improve aerodynamic performance by providing body lift and reduce radar return.

If you think that any 2nd gen aircraft can match a 5th gen fighter's maneuverability, or even a 4th gen fighter's for that matter, then you've probably got a severe case of down syndrome.

The English Electric Lightning is the only 2nd gen aircraft to boast supercruise capability, and even then its range was severely limited.

Internal weapons bays were rare amongst 2nd gen aircraft, they were mostly only seen in century series aircraft, and they were rarely used for missiles.

You seem to severely underestimate how far we've come in our understanding of aircraft design. Hell, the advances made since the 70s/80s alone is staggering.

Who'd knew?

Yeah, I don't really have a planefu.
I used to really like AC giving some love to prototypes or just planes that never really entered service. YF23 for example.

I guess you just enjoy not having any clue what you're talking about. To each their own, I suppose.

I love the YF-23. Fuck the F-22.

X-02 Wyvern
F/A-18E Super Hornet
I hope it's actually an Ace Combat game and doesn't try to be something else.
Their designers actually "got it".

I am calling you a faggot user with shit tastes in planes. How hard is that to understand?

I bet that if we had gone with the YF-23 we would be seeing idiots writing articles claiming "Northrop's new 5th gen fighter can't outmaneuver F-15, very overpriced. Boondoggle of the decade?" (The YF-23 has roughly the same turn characteristics as the F-15)

What is up with the media and shitting on US fighter programs? They did the exact same shit with the F-15 and F-16 when they were in development.

Ok.

Gonna take some myself

You can set the aspect ratio to 16:9 from the ingame options and it makes the game look better.

Apart from those strange lines, it's fine i guess

It's related to the blacklines, since they don't happen in native res.

I know, just forgot to do that.

well shit nigga i dunno

Feels bad man

Doublevision is related to the fog i suppose, i got high up in the sky and didn't get those

Cant you buy retired jets in the states? i know you can buy retired military gear (land sea and air) in eastern europe and the balkans

o r i g i n a l h a r d w a r e h a s n o p r o b l e m s

You can, however it's a lot harder to buy US fighters than, say, a MiG-21 (There's actually a listing for a functional Fishbed on ebay right now). Most US citizens who own fighter aircraft own foreign ones, like Paul Allen who bought a MiG-29 or that former Marine who bought a British Harrier II. I can only think of a single person who has ever bought an American jet, and that's some rich dude who bought a F-4 Phantom II. Owning US fighter jets that are currently in service or could be in service in the future (like the Model 400) is illegal in the US.

feels bad man

When is Gregory Fuckface Hainaut going to update the ppa to 1.5? The last update was in FUCKING JANUARY. If you can't maintain a repo, give it to someone else to do. At least some nerd in the community will remember to upload a package more than once a year.

Would you fug a jet?

I'd fug F-35

bumping wit more comics

Like 4, 5, and Zero equally, but Unsung War will always have a special place in my heart.

Tomcat or Raptor

F-14 or F-15

Not be like Assault Horizon and doesn't have a bunch of stuff behind a paywall. Also some interesting banter from the squad and your player character.

The designers probably like them quite a lot.

The guy who fixed it is the one who said that, the fix is literally him copypasting shit from the software renderer and hoping it works, he even said himself it's a hack that only truly fixes games that only use mimapping tricks to save memory, thankfully AC is among those.

Nope, RRV is texture cache not mipmapping.

Gotta be honest, Assault Horizon Legacy/Cross Rumble wasn't that good, plus there was the problem of
FUCKING MANEUVERS
being a thing. Not required, I know, but it's still there. Though, I haven't played AC2 in years. Maybe I wouldn't like it if I played it again?

Also, I thought AC04 was working just fine on PCSX2 if you had a good rig. I have no idea how else this was created, anyway. Can Vegas really make shit this much prettier? Which means I can't actually play it at this level of quality

me on suicide watch

Michael Dorn owned a Sabre at one point. I don't know if he still has it or not.

I can run SOTC hardware at 60 fps and Burnout 3 hardware at 50 fps. Will that help?

Fucking shit, I keep forgetting the mipmapping in it wasn't the problem. Guess I'll just sit here and wait patiently for Gregory to fix everything.

Not sure, I don't know how intense those games are compared to what happens in AC emulation, though now I'm tempted to say that it's at least worth a shot.

like wtf, they made millions of the damn things
it was one of the best selling consoles ever made
why is it so hard to find a non-shit quality used PS2 without having to prostitute myself to pay for it
I fucking hate you all

any way to update pcsx2 without download it all over again?

Is there a way to Upscale AC5 without getting like 6-8 black vertical lines? If I have to play it at native res I will.

Been a while since I played Zero and I've been excited to play 5 so I'd like to play it at it's best.

….. its like 5mb

just dont want to reconfigure everything because i'm lazy alright?

Just copy and paste the latest git onto your current install while omitting the portable.ini file, it should tell you it has detected existing settings and import all of them, not 100% sure it works on actual installs but it works on nightlies, also backup your memcards if you care about what's on them.

Enable HW hack > configure hack > align sprite

Please elaborate

github.com/undefined-darkness/open-horizon

zxstudio.org/blog/
This motherfucker is already up to converting PS2 locations.

oh gosh.jpg

wait what is this nigga doing?

Using Assault Horizon art assets in a FLOSS reimplementation of Ace Combat?

The journey begins

IT STARTS FROM WITHIN

Please gain an understanding of the actual F-35 program before droning the same bullshit that the media's spouting. They say this shit every time a new fighter is in development because it easily generates public outrage (which earns them a fuckload of money). They pulled the same shit with the F-22, F-16, and F-15 when they were in development (the F-15 and F-22 were "too expensive to operate" and the F-16 was a "overbudget, behind schedule lemon with too many roles"). Never EVER trust the media when it comes to anything that flies. Journalists are far too dumb to understand aerospace engineering.

Also, read up on the Eurofighter program. It experienced far more trouble than the F-35 ever did. It took 17 years to enter service and now, 13 years after that, it still lacks it's full air-to-ground capability. If we're going to complain about cost overruns and delays let's not act like the F-35 is the worst offender.

I'd be willing to admit I was wrong, but I'd like to see something to support what you're saying. General consensus in most places I've been is that the program costs too much and delivers too little, but I realize general consensus isn't fact.

Now, I'm sure there have been plenty of overly-expensive military programs and that the F-35 isn't unique in that regard, especially since developing fighter jets is generally expensive anyways. These programs are wrapped up in so many different interests, however, that it can be hard to discern who's telling the truth sometimes.

So yes, I might be wrong. Like probably anyone who isn't directly involved with the project, I don't have access to information that I know is true beyond a reasonable doubt, so I have to make do with imperfect info.

Sorry, this was a lot of talk just to ask you to provide sources that support your claim, but if you could then I would appreciate it.

A lot of AC subtitles could work as Touhou game names, actually. Or at least Shattered Skies.

fug

Things that I need to know

I'd kill for a dog-fighting danmaku aerial clusterfuck.

Can't say I blame you for asking for sources. Sources are always a good thing. Contrary to popular belief, it's actually fairly easy to find good info on the JSF program. The DoD and Lockheed have been relatively transparent about the F-35's development compared to past fighter programs. I've done a lot of research on fighter development both out of interest and for my major (aerospace engineering student) and there is WAY more trustworthy info out there about the F-35 program than any other past program, plus cool pictures of prototype designs.

Anyways, my first point was based on simple logic. With one program developing 3 different aircraft that use many similar parts, you save a lot of time and money on design, development, and contractor costs. This was especially important for the JSF because a lot of the tech being put in the X-35 was downright experimental at the time, and a long development cycle was expected. With 3 separate programs, each aircraft would have their own contractor and would need unique parts, maintenance, and extra planning and oversight. Plus there would be less of each fighter being made, which can cause a sort-of feedback loop of unit costs getting higher, which causes less to be bought, which drives up unit costs further. With the JSF program all three aircraft help reduce the other's unit cost thanks to shared parts, and the cost savings can be easily observed when the F-35A costs less than many 4.5 gen fighters. While the cost savings were definitely not as radically efficient as the DoD hoped, the JSF program is definitely a cheaper solution than the development of 3 different fighters.

My second point is based on publicly available information about the JSF program. From the start, the JSF program was a multinational program. The UK, for example, will be paying around 10% of the total development costs. Many countries also stand to profit from the program. Canada, for example, is manufacturing a bunch of the electronics for the F-35.

My third point is also publicly available information, and is also proof of how little the media understands about the program. The F-35 program was presented in a different way than any previous aircraft development program. To be able to better plan for the long-term, the F-35's program cost wasn't presented as "$$$ so far", but as "how much $$$ this'll cost by the end of the program". Many news sources misinterpreted this (and still do) as the cost of the program so far, and the F-35 instantly became the "trillion-dollar fighter". Due to the sheer stupidity of the media, the DoD has gone back to using the old cost system for the B-21 Reaper.

I'm typing this on a phone at 4 in the morning, so I hope that made sense. When it comes to actual websites you can use for info, make sure you get none of your info from RT, War is Boring, or Pierre Sprey. All three have been caught deliberately spreading misinformation about the F-35 and other US military programs in the past. I recommend Aviation Week if you just want a layman's news source, but there are several fantastic articles written by F-35 pilots that describe what it's like to fly it in detail, such as this one by a Norwegian pilot (with an English translation): nettsteder.regjeringen.no/kampfly/2016/03/01/f-35-i-naerkamp-hva-har-jeg-laert-sa-langt-the-f-35-in-a-dogfight-what-have-i-learned-so-far/

Also, these four videos have a ton of fantastic info about the F-35 and debunks a ton of myths perpetuated by the media:

youtu.be/ZtZNBkKdO5U
youtu.be/LyHlp7tJrxY
youtu.be/31oJIo8EVwY
youtu.be/9s7-3EUXC_w

Also, this should back up my claim that "the media does this every time". Here's a NYT article from 1977 that's criticizing the F-16 for a lot of the same things the F-35's being criticized for now:

mobile.nytimes.com/1977/05/01/archives/f-16-fighter-program-is-hurt-by-delays-government-accounting-office.html

Also here's a cool picture released by Lockheed of the different iterations of the F-35's design.

Ahh, these look very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to type that post up, user. It must have been kind of annoying to do from a phone. Your points make sense to me, and I'm always looking for more information so I'll definitely be taking a look at all of this. I'm already reading a bit of the Norwegian pilot's article as I'm typing this up, and I'll see if I can't find some more articles like this later.

Anyways, thanks for responding to me, user. Polite sage.

Godspeed on your degree. I've always considered aerospace engineer to be a classic American expertise and career path. Well, I'm assuming you're American, but good luck either way.

No problem dude. I enjoy talking about the technical details about fighters and none are more interesting to me than the F-35. That plane is an engineer's wet dream. It boggles my mind that they managed to make a fighter with that much capability in such a small airframe and then manage to make it cheaper than its competitors. Plus it's sort of a successor to the F/A-18 as the new king of the one-turn dogfight. Who needs high sustained turn rates when you can reach angles of attack up to 110 degrees? Instantaneous turn rate ftw.

Thanks for the encouragement too. You are correct that I'm American. I'm going to college at the birthplace of NASA. No better place to study aerospace than in Huntsville.

I know im late, but PS3 already is, all CFWs allow you to play Online with both digital and physical games.

HISTORIA STATUS: CUM

Also what's a good encoding bitrate for 1440p?

okay so the ini edit gets rid of the jumbled ground textures, checking align sprite hack fixes the vertical lines and setting align sprite texture fixes the slightly misaligned lines in the HUD

the game generally runs fine for me even at higher internal resolution but when speech samples play speed drops to ~50%, does anyone know a fix for that?

That just sounds like an issue that'll only be solved with future development of the emulator. For now maybe try to lower some of your settings to compensate for the performance issues.

FUCKING TRUTH BOMBS RAINING DOWN

I think he was more referring to emulation. But would buying a used PS3 and installing CFW be worth it?

>I'd kill a dog for a dog-fighting danmaku aerial clusterfuck.

I'm confused. I don't know about you guys, but all the Ace Combats I've been playing have been about dogfighting. Are you trying to say that the shitty mechanics from AH will be returning? When did we find this out?

AC5, naturally
F-22
A5 Vigilante
Nope, ever since the Strangereal was changed into "Real World"
No swing-wing bullshit, slanted twin tails, twin engines.

I don't know what the official name is of that mechanic in Assault Horizon that made Ace combat look like a Michael Bay movie

In my testing, it's not the speech that slows the game down. It's the non-FMV in-engine cutscenes, for example mission 1 of AC5 before you're given control. The video runs noticeably slower than the audio (when using the SPU async mix, timestretch slows the audio to match). And if I enable texture filtering, the terrain still slows the game down too even with the mipmap fix to display it accurately. You can tell because pitching straight up or straight down to avoid displaying the distance-blended terrain rectifies performance.

Part of this I'm sure is due to the Linux open source video drivers lacking some OpenGL extension support. I'm frankly surprised it ever runs at full speed. I'll try testing under Windows when I can be bothered to reboot.

AC7 will be back in Strangereal you fucking faggot.

The F-22N Sea Raptor would like to have a word with you

RIP true Tomcat successor. You were simply too good for this world

user, the F-35 has had it's parts outsourced to 48 US States plus fuckknows where else. Take that Lockheed dick out your ass and get a grip of yourself. Nobody in the military likes Lockheed at all apart from armchair Generals receiving their next "loyalty" paycheck. They are one of the worst scummy arms contractors out there who's only skill is at bribing politicians rather than delivering any products. BAE Systems is the second worst for it, although in their defense they do eventually deliver at least
You have no grasp at how bad the US Arms Industry is for going overbudget and how often it's not a result of "design" problems but just blatant corruption. It has also delivered many times lemons in the past that have cost lives but I guess you're too much of millennial to remember when the F-16 came out and a lot of them were falling from the skies due to electronics cutting out, or the fact that not only the YF-23 was beating the YF-22 left right and center, it was cheaper till some money changed hands between some Lockheed representatives and some Senators along with senior Generals. That's just aviation. Bet you're too young to remember the "Starship" and other glorious projects like the M114 that saw service.

tl;dr version: Nobody really gives a shit about performance arguments even though they are based on horseshit. What is blatantly wrong is the corruption going on which makes these projects absurdly expensive than they have to be. The only dumb fucks are the people who believe your lies.

I'm sure you have the expertise from all of those Wikipedia pages you've read to tell me what's best :^)

I won't deny that there is rampant corruption in the defense industry. In fact, I provided a great example in the Eurofighter program in a previous post. Other great examples would be the USAF actively trying to prevent foreign sales of the F-20, or the entire F-16 program in general. Thinking that this is exclusive to Lockmart, or even that they're the worst perpetrators of this, is just being willfully delusional. The closest they ever came to that was when they were marketing the F-104.

Even without corruption though, 5th Gen fighters are still going to be expensive to develop. That's been a trend in aircraft design since the Wright brothers first flew. Very few aircraft have managed to defy this trend, and even fewer have retained good performance while doing so. Building high performance aircraft is simply expensive by nature.

Why is that even relevant?

I didn't lie though. Literally everything I said is backed up by facts. It's true that the cost of building 3 separate fighters would cost more than the JSF program, it's true that the US isn't the only one paying for it, and it's true that the $1.5 trillion development cost is how much the program will cost in 2070. These aren't up for debate, they're solid facts. They've been facts since the start of the program.

I bet you also think that the X-32 should have won the JSF program too. The F-22 solidly beat the YF-23 in internal payload capacity (which the YF-23 didn't even meet the requirement for) and completely lost in maneuverability. Plus the Navy was really pushing the NATF program (which admittedly went nowhere) at the time and the F-22 was perfect for it. The YF-23 was a fantastic plane, and there's a legitimate argument for it, but acting that it lost purely because of corruption is just immature and doesn't do justice to the intricacies of the two aircraft.

Wut?
user the YF-23 had more internal payload capability than the YF-22. Are you sure you don't mean external payload? It also was only slightly less maneuverable than the YF-22, however what it was being designed for it wasn't necessary

First time playing the PS2 AC games (played the ones in the PSP some years ago).
Why exactly can MIGs lock missiles from 5000 while all others i tried lock only below 1500?
It's a MIG thing or is just that SP weapon that has the range advantage?

What game? If I remember right, 4 has normal missle lock at 500, and SP weapons are further away. If it's 5 or 0, normal missle lock range should be increased and so is range of SP lock.

It's 0, normal lock range for SP weapons is 1500, but for some reason when i use the MIG, i can lock anything at 5000.

DFM, short for Dog Fighting Mode. Even the name is mediocre and bland.

Nope. The YF-22's standard takeoff weight is the same as the YF-23's maximum takeoff weight, while only being slightly heavier while empty. The requirement was initially met by both fighters and they were to have the same internal payload. On paper the design was sound and should have been able to carry the intended load, however later in the program Northrop found that the YF-23 couldn't carry the full internal weapons load.

The range is exactly the same as any other plane. What you're seeing is a bug that causes the HUD to display ranges in feet rather than meters. The only reliable way to fix this is by doing a hard reset.

Is anybody going to answer this? I'm interested too.

You can, but you have to make sure it's capable of running CFW. Apparently the last gen of PS3 hasn't been exploited yet. Otherwise, it'd be good to do that and then you can get games that were pulled from PSN, like Afterburner Climax or MvC2.

Suddenly a mediocre space sim game has become a pretty alright dogfighting sim with the unique ability to design and customize your own aircraft. Flying against AI pilots is pretty fun, and if you have good enough internet human pilots are pretty damn fun too. It'll at least tide me over until AC7.

I'm guessing a used PS3 phat would work? How much would those go for nowadays?

Or a used second gen, the first slim. The super slim won't. I think the older ones are $100? I haven't checked in a while, but it should be comparable to a 360 or maybe a bit more expensive.

Skipped right over that, whoops. I was tempted to get From The Depths to make planes and Airships but it's Early Access. KSP just seems like a mess but I haven't played it at all, so I have no experience.

If your gonna downgrade a PS3, get a fat PS3 with some kind of backwards compat on it, even those with the barest minimum are better then the software emulation the PS3 uses.

Not to mention fat PS3s gotta be reballed and need fresh thermal paste and new fans as the fats are nearing the end of their service life.

As a game it's not bad. It's admittedly glitchy, but not to the point it used to be. With the official 64 bit version you don't have to worry as much about how many mods you have.

Altman, use your hand grenades!

STOP SHITTING TANKS EVERYWHERE FUCK I HATE THIS MISSION CAN'T BELIEVE I LOST MY FUCKING EDGE

user. Pro fucking tip: use an air superiority fighter for that mission. You'll thank me in the future

LEAVE HIM, HE'S DEAD!

I don't believe it Jean-Louis, they ALL have ribbon insignias!

No, don't listen to this user, it spoils the fun.

I know that feel user. But when doing that mission in the glorious stall machine known as the CFA-44…

Unlock the ground fighter. It has great multi-lock missiles that rapes several tanks at once. It's a bit slow but that makes it easier to aim your machine guns.

is there a timeline somewhere that explains all the wars and conflicts? i played 4,5,0 several times each but i cant really connect them

also the ground textures are still fucked. slightly better than before but still fucking ugly

Nigga, what? They give you dates for every mission. 4 is 2004-2005, 5 is 2010, 0 is 1995.

here's a quick ISAF flag I whipped up. think this is good to send in or does someone want to try cleaning it up?

okay but then why do they only mention 1995 in ac5? no mention of what happeend in ac4 and how it plays into the grander scheme of things. its been a long time since i played these games and i just dont remember

Because zero is the prequel to AC5. AC4 is a whole different country and their troubles.

AC4 is a different continent. It's like asking why America doesn't cover the entirety of British history; they're different countries and trying to cover different stories. Besides, you should play AC1 and 2 and see what happens in the late 90's before 4 happens.

or i could just read a summary or look at a timeline if it exists.
and i never realized ac4 is a different continent.i can't remember the names of the countries either.

but the real question is still: why doesnt the mimap fix work for me? did i dl a build that somehow got that change reverted or not implemented or something?

Try compiling from source.

Shame there wasn't an Ace of Aces version where you had to go up against them all with shamrock alone

All 3 of the sacred ps2 trinity. But if I had to choose; Zero
F-22*, Su-37*, F-15*, Black Widow II, ADFX-01 Morgan
*see above (not including the F-5 Tiger)
Very little atm, I'm trying to be realistic and not have my hopes broken again
you're only half right about that

Daily reminder Pixy did (almost) nothing wrong

That's not ass horzion, son

Respect.

Well shit
righteously fixed
also
PLEASE GOD NO

5 can also be allowed to be shit user, multiple games can be shit, Like AH, Advance, the US version of 3, Northern wings, and 5.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy 5 as much as i did
but comparing it to AH? come on now

Send it

When playing found 5 I found the mission flow to be overall about the same as AH. The difference being that AH has them in a pseudo rail shooter or full rail shooter. 5 on the other hand, does it with the order of targets in the mission, one off gimmicks, or with LOONG breaks in combat filled with email plot. A cheesy story isn't bad mind you, but it is when it breaks the flow of gameplay too often. A good chunk of 5's mission has you do things in a completely set order of escort mission/ target protection. Maybe you'll get a few YESNO pop ups but the effect from them is minimal. Compare to 2/4/0/6 there's more freedom on how you want to tackle order in targets. With an emphasis on 6. As is any Ace Combat is a short campaign game and as such it's gotta pride itself on replay-ability. And 5 does that just as poorly as AH.

acecombat.wikia.com/wiki/Strangereal_timeline

Ace Combat 2 and 4 are set on the same continent with 2 happening about the same time as zero, and 4 has more of the "after effects of the big ass asteroid plot".
Ace Combat Zero and 5 are set within the WW2/Cold war plot. It features the not NATO (osea) not germany (belka) and not russia (yuktobonia).
Ace Combat 6 is separate and has some more big ass asteroid plot. Not Italy (emmeria) fights not Russia 2 (estovakia) that got fucked hard by the asteroid.
Ace Combat X is separate from all games (in terms of the war at least, but they do take place on the same continent as Osea) but it features the same tag along faggot reporter with an effeminate voice from 5. The two countries that fight are Aurelia (south american countries) and Lasath (more beaners) (lots of beaner names and stuff)
Ace Combat X2, Ass Horizon, and Infinity all take place in the real world
Ace Combat Ass Horizon 2 is just Ace Combat 2 but remade and slapped on to the 3DS
Ace Combat 3 takes place way into the future and is apparently the first game (time wise) to namco's possibly abandoned idea to make their games take place in the same universe. So yes a secretive war where you shoot down your buddy to prevent a nuke from hitting it's target's and an asteroid that crashes into earth killing millions because that one particular country didn't have a rail gun or was in the coverage of the railgun and thus causing even more wars because of the tech a few power hungry countries got to build the defenses is in the same continuity as Dig Dug.

Different strokes for different blokes.

Go dance with the angels.

Also speaking about 5, has anyone did the Four Horsemen mission? If so, is it really true that mission is balls hard?

Can't fault you for this statement. The operations system in 6 was a fucking fantastic addition when conducting missions. And it provided a bit more replayability.

When I was a dumb ass kid that mission was total bullshit because when you watch the briefing it makes it look like an A 10 or something like it would be best. Problem is if you use a bomb or long range Air to Ground missile it fucks up the timing because they take too long to reach the target, that and attackers are usually slow ass planes. Fuck the briefing get a fast plane and use regular missiles, fly to the target hang around the spot till your squadron begins the count down, lock on, then fire.

7 Takes place in strange real, so the same universe idea isn't abandoned. It's one of the very few pieces of information out about it. Other that it involves Osea, and Erusea. Also that it deals with the replacement of Human pilots with unmanned planes. So who knows there might be AC3 connections in it.

Four Horsemen is a mission where at the start Wardog sets up at 4 different radar stations to destroy them, you must wait for Nagase to mark when the station is destroyed. Each radar station destruction having 30 seconds to a minute in between on wait time. I give a difference since at any random moment in the countdown, but generally right before mark is said Chopper or Archer will interrupt and need to reset. If you've already started shooting by that point then it's a mission fail and you have to do the wait times all over again.

Anything with more OC planes and any possibility for true Ace 3's mechanics that won't get gutted already makes my dick hard

Easy as fuck. Failed the first time because I thought you had to destroy it on 1, you just have to destroy it during the 10 second countdown.

He means that Solvalou and Galaga are the far flung future of Strangereal, according to Namco's unified Universe idea. Also Ridge Racer is in Strangereal, but only has names of real countries, like France, Japan, United States, Germany, and Italy. Not sure what's up with that.

Sounds like a bad idea. Half the fun of Ace Combat is the characters and drama in the cockpit. Can't really have that when planes are flying themselves or being flown remotely.

Ace Combat 3 had ghost in the shell shit going on. Hell, even the same people that worked on GiTS worked on AC3. You had people giving up their bodies so they could put their mind's into a plane's computer. Ace Combat 3 had the craziest story and I loved it. Too bad the international release took everything out of the game, including the story in its entirety. People complain about Treehouse and their shit, but no game will have a worse localization than Ace Combat 3.

According to kono the reason why the local was so bad for 3 is that the game itself sold poorly in Japan so PA couldn't afford a majority of the game to be localized. Also I'm sure a NISA game has had worse since they've shipped games broken by them and 3 still had some of the intent which makes them better then Treehouse.

I'd rather have game breaking bugs than having half of the game taken away.

Would really like to give AC6 a try, but sadly my 360 is on the fritz.

I'll definitely give that mission a shot after I finish up with Zero. Thanks for the responses.

The sad truth. Granted NISA and 8-4 are both shit, but Treehouse is abysmal. Replacing dialogue with ellipses and memes and cutting content is tactless.

proof that muscle girl fags are fags

I have a hard time believing anyone would ever do that. I can understand getting a cyborg body if you can still eat and have sex if you want to, but becoming a plane?

Plus i'm sure the engineers behind it would be kind and make it so every shot out of your main gun equals to an orgasm

Nigga, I'd want a fully immortal robot body with upgradeable parts. Alternatively, black magic if available to give myself immortality among other powers. If one step in that process means I have to become a plane, I'd seriously consider it.

I doubt it. It would be very distracting in combat. Plus, those guns fire about a hundred bullets a second. Even a futuristic cyber-mind probably couldn't handle that many orgasms in rapid succession.

I don't see the appeal, but if that's what you're into, that's what you're into.

Oh user you know nothing

How can you hold hands with your waifu if you're an aircraft?

she gets inside you.

By Letting her pilot you

this

Ass Horizon 2 is Ass Horizon Legacy. Not 2. It's also called Cross Rumble 3D in Japan.

user NO

Why would I have a man in my cockpit instead of a woman? Not all of us are faggots like you.

Pic related. Got to admit those answers are cute.

No need to worry, I've been playing them in order. What I mean is, I'll replay 5 after I'm done with playing Zero.

it's the cockpit not the cuntpit

user, I…

Missed this.
It's a literal remake of AC2.

Not going to scroll through this fuckhuge thread to see if someone asked this already: What games besides AC also feature dialogue-heavy combat? Maybe that's not the right term, but you know what I mean. Kid Icarus Uprising and AC04 made me realize that it's my fetish

Assuming I'm understanding you correctly:

Freespace and Freespace 2. Especially some of the fan-made campaigns for Freespace 2. Be sure to look into Freespace 2 Open, which upgrades both the graphics and the engine. I think you don't even have to get FS1 to play its campaign, since there's a mod that ports it to FS2 Open.

Also, Wing Commander Saga. Technically a total conversion for Freespace 2, but it's completely standalone. Every mission is packed with dialogue.

Any Tales boss fight. And actually, R:Racing Evolution used the exact same radio system as Ace Combat, so if racing games are interesting, go for that. Do you mean plot heavy or just characters speaking coherent lines about their situation, though?

Bloodborne does it really well. But only a few times. Mad World is really good, but the dialogue is from commentators, rather than the characters that are fighting.

By extension, Anarchy Reigns is pretty good too, and not because of commentators.

Thanks.

Are you such an autist that you would have a womanpit? Jesus christ don't forget the otherkinpit shitlord

Right, wasn't arguing that. I was talking about the name.

A remake with maneuvers, GODDAMMIT NAMCO

Got me there user. It's probably best to replay 4 again and then 5.

hey, I thought it worked okay until the last ZOE fight. You could mostly ignore the manuevers.

Out of all of the shit that Dick Cheney did, it's killing the F-14 that he's going to burn in hell for.

they're still there, it's like trying to play Towerfall after realizing Anita Shekelstein is a character in it
Well, I hated Towerfall more than I hated ACAHL so that's not a fair comparison, but it's as close as it gets.

neat. I remember last time I tried it years ago to get it to run, you had to disable the in-game videos and the plane was constantly pulling to the left.

My CPU is fast enough to play in Software mode, but I'm glad there are potential breakthroughs happening for GPUbros.

tfw when owning un-modable PS2 SuperSlim.

Don't know if it will do it for you since it isn't dubbed, but look into Raiders Sphere.

Actually it was people's consciousness being converted into software and uploaded into cyberspace

If you'd actually played the game you would know the planes controlled by AI's still had personalities and thus drama.

Also the whole game is a simulation run by a Jew to see who would win a corporate war

Please don't confuse kiddie toys with flightsims

The biggest problem I'm having with Ace Combat 4 is that on some missions the HUD decides to just shit itself. It's making bombing runs a fucking nightmare.

ALLAH AKBAR!! KAFFAR!

NOW YOU FACE THE FULL MIGHT OF ISLAMIC ENGINEERING!

It is possible to mod (instructables.com/id/Mod-a-PlayStation-2-Slimline-for-FREE!-NO-CHIPS!/step3/Last-step-of-modding/ ) but requires the use of disks. It seems to have a much better expirence either A) buy a Slim and stream via networking or B) suck it up and rely on emulation. Sadly A) mostly likely isn't possible anymore in my country.

works on my original hardware, doesn't look like an ms-paint resized mess either

just get a fat and load from the hard drive.

I'm still having trouble believing Iran showed that to the world and expected us to honestly believe it was a real aircraft design.

Fucking Cessna cockpit shit

Is Cipher, Mobius 1?

Discuss

GOD I ACTUALLY GOT TO PLAY AC TRILOGY IN MY LIFETIME
HOLY FUCK

Even your post has been blessed by the holy trinity

Yes, Cipher is Mobius 1 because both are (you).

Yes. He's also Blaze. He's literally Razgriz. He appears during every war to win the day for the forces of good and then disappear until he's needed again.

You're truly dancing with the angels now user.

Jesus Fucking Christ, user, don't spoil that all of Strangereal is a simulation run to test Nemo and the simulation is finally over at the end of AC3.

I've only played AC4, AC5, and AC0, and I much prefer the more supernatural explanation.

Man, they could do crazy shit with the otherwise mundane writing that happens in a series with world ending superweapons. But no, just a simple "He was a good pilot and then retired."

damm you and your high-end kinks people

Component cables will get you close to what is shown there

I tried to load up 5, but it gets trapped in the loading screen after I press start on the title screen. Anyone got a fix?

A hybrid strategy/flight sim game where you play as an AWACS operator where you have to fly to the proper positions in the battlefield to maintain connections and direct units would be pretty fun.

Technically you can do that in Falcon 4.0 since you can control the ATO

Admittedly, I want an updated version of that game, too.

Guise I might enroll in aerospace engineering starting next year should I do it should I do it

Do you like money, y/n

don't do it user they'll bully you for being into animu

They'll bully you for anything. But the real question is do you like money and are you okay with being a government contractor? Also are you actually good at physics/aerodynamics?

sage for blogpost

yes, does that mean i should do it or that I should graduate in another area

but i've heard that people that are into planes or spacecrafts are into anime lolis?

I mean working with the gov is how you end up in exciting projects with limitless resources…

Negativity sells in journalism. Too bad, the F-15 and F-16 were fantastic airframes that went through many iterations and sales because of how good they are. We're still revamping the F-15 for God's sake; we now have the F-15SE Silent Eagle, which is basically an F-15 with the F-22's radar absorbing coating thrown on its nose.

That said, the F-22 being the superior close range fighter is what got it sold. They don't call it the pride of the Air Force for nothing.

The irony is that the USAF plan to use the F-35's stealth capabilities and electronic support to ensure they never get caught in a dogfight. If we were going by that gameplan all along, the YF-23 should have won, as its stealth capabilities are superior to the F-22's and won't conflict with the F-35 if a mixed squadron is engaged.

The F-35 is kind of a disaster though, isn't it?

That's not really true. Most 4th gen fighters never get caught in dogfights anyways. Dogfights are incredibly rare these days, there hasn't actually been one in nearly 17 years. The stealth is to ensure that nobody can strike the F-35/22 before it sees them.

We've already been over this

What's the name of the blog doing Open Horizon?

Here you go: zxstudio.org/blog/

I am dying from the lack of AC7 news.

I bought into the PSVR meme. If AC7 uses VR as well as RIGS, I'll be more than satisfied. It's great to be able to see everything with actual depth perception. And usually, the planes don't need crazy high level of model details and just good enough textures. Fingers crossed that it plays well with and without the headset.

That's just a concept that Boeing is shopping around, they haven't found a buyer.

DFM sounds like it's an abbreviation for some kind of shitty musical genre, or maybe a terrible band. "Dance Faggot Music" or something.
Anyway, we have no reason to think that DFM will be in AC7 yet.

Also, have this. Sage for doublepost.

Which Ace Combat game has the best music?

The Harrier is an abomination before God.

I have the recent dev version of PCSx2, but I can't get any of the Ace Combats to run. Any help?

That accurately describes my feelings on the matter. However, between a good game and a broken one, I'd rather have the good one. That's assuming we get any game at all.

I assume that means you enabled the user hacks in the .ini files described in the thread?

Embed related.

Yeah. I modded the gsdx ini like OP said, but nothing works. 5 gets stuck on the loading screen after you press start, and 4 & Zero won't even get to the title screen.

Take that back you fucking triple nigger.

Did you enable UserHacks in the GSdx configuration? What renderer are you using, and with what GPU?

fite me fgt

Maybe you have a broken emulator build, which can happen especially with dev versions compiled automatically by a buildbot. None of the emulator's default configs should prevent you from reaching the title screen.

I have no idea how to work this emulator, so I don't know if userhacks are on or not.

As for renderer, I also don't know what any of these do. It's not like Dolphin where they tell you what each option does performance wise.

I'll try an older build of 1.5.0 then. 1.4.0 can load the games, but with the glitches, so I don't know why this isn't working.

You were right. It was the build. Zero is now in the title screen. I'll do some tests later

Yeah, I followed your instructions, OP, but the game doesn't run well. First, the ground textures are fucked, and second, there's these vertical black bars that appear on the screen. Remind me why I should give a shit about hardware emulation. Why shouldn't I just run in software emulation? It runs without these issues and at full speed.

I want to maintain eye contact with F-35-chan while holding hands

MODS MODS MODS

I want to lovingly cuddle Lightning-Chan and tell her she's special.

I got it all working perfectly. Aside from some minor framerate drops Zero works perfectly. Now I just gotta fix 5

All are good in their own way user. But if we have to pick favorites then embed related.

4 had the best music IMO. Namco Bandai seems to be of the same belief since Infinity mostly has tracks from 4.

Then you didn't properly follow the instructions,

The vertical black line fix which is just enabling align sprites in the hack menu of GSdx, the one that has Ace Combat mentioned in the tooltip.

This is one of my favorites.
It's hype as fuck.

Which genre of music does everyone think AC7 will adopt? We've had orchestral music in plenty of games, and flamenco in AC0. My bet is mongolian throat singing.

I like how the game switches to that briefing music only in the later part of the story, just before you're officially named Razgriz Squadron, as things get the most serious.

Listen to the four pieces of briefing music in AC0, it matches the pace of the game really well.

Love the AC5 briefing 2, briefing 3 for AC0, and the final speech from AC04. Fits the mood well.

MOAR EBIN /MU/

I know you're joking, but that would actually be rad.

That one is really good too. It's up there with the final briefing in AC4. Another one I liked from AC5's soundtrack is embed related.

That would sound pretty cool if they did that for AC7. Either that or Icelandic singing.

I hope AC7 will involve a different continent not yet explored. Tired of Yukes.

Is there another continent? The only ones shown are Usea, Osea's continent, and the third one.

YO BUDDY, STILL ALIVE?

Yo buddy, still alive?

Something like this.

That's just a normal-sounding song sung in what I assume is Icelandic. Not really comparable to the style and technique that is glorious Mongolian throat singing

True, and that video was indeed glorious.

I dig the FUCK outta that

I can imagine music like that being used if the plot revolved around a long lasting war, where our squadron has already been fighting for a long time (maybe years) and are already tired of the fight. Maybe our protagonists are even on the losing side at first. Then, as the plot progresses and things start looking up, we get more fast paced music, maybe with some orchestral music working its way in there too.

Verusea is the Yuke continent, but you're forgetting Anea for 6, with Emmeria and Estovakia.

I'm the guy that modeled Strangereal in openxcom, I know more than I should about it the obscure geography.

I kinda wish an Ace Combat game spinoff would be like Crimson Skies on the Xbox Hueg with an open world exploration of a continent or at least a large chunk of stuff to explore. Kinda like Oolite but planes over Strangereal.

Hopefully Project Aces'll take advantage of the (slightly) better hardware they're working with for 7 and have larger maps and missions. Huge, open world maps to explore in free flight would be fun as hell.

I hope they keep the multi-operation thing in AC6, but scale it back so it's more manageable.

At this point there's only a few regions we haven't seen so far.

Ace Combat Infinity sucks balls. I am a level fucking 0 and I get paired with asshats that have planes with all the bells and whistles. I struggle to get a single kill while my teammates get multiple kills in a single strike. Fucking hell. Either pay money to be able to compete or grind forever to get to a point where you can enjoy it.

I never really struggled with it, did others have a hard time juggling operations?

It was fine on most missions, but there were a couple where it was too much. Maybe I was just bad at it, but I remember the amphibious assault on the beach being particularly chaotic, and not in a good way, because units were getting killed left and right while I tried to finish up operations I was already engaged in.

I like how everything is a unique name, right up until you hit antarctica.

Hey, at least it's somewhat of a different shape from ours. Also, they have a Pacific Ocean because ??? While all the other bodies of water have new names.

Actually, it's Antarctia, not Antarctica. Still really close, though. All they did was remove one letter.

Because it's made by Japanese developers, and the Pacific is kind of their ocean? I don't know, but I do admit I found it a bit weird myself.

Also, the Ace Combat planet is actually called Earth, which was another surprise. I thought it would be called Gaia or something.

Am I missing something here? I configure PCSX2 all fine, and can even run AC04 all right, but I don't have a GSdx.ini file.

Did you update to the latest build? There should be an "inis" folder in your install directory.

First off Do you have a link for your Strangereal map in OpenXCOM?

Second, I second a Crimson Skies style game but that would require more Air Carriers and no one but the bad guys have those in the franchise so far

Would that even be much fun? I doubt you'd be able to control all the weapons while flying it, so all you'd be able to do is maneuver to give your gunners a better shot.

You could deploy AI controlled drones that would be semi-autonomous. They would defend themselves while being attacked and attack targets that you tell them to hit.

I do, but not readily accessible. It wasn't finished, it only changes the geoscape(world.dat file), some rulesets need to be changed to change the names and country borders for it. I couldn't harness my autism for it and I never got around to writing a tool to allow easy point placing to make getting coordinates easier.

Come to think of it, Ceres Ocean isn't original either, since Ceres was a Roman goddess. Odd that they'd name an ocean after a goddess of agriculture, though. It's kind of like naming a nuclear missile after Venus.

That was a really fun idea that I wish was fully fleshed out. Completely different, ball-busting scenarios like that are fun. Imagine Liberation of Gracemeria where the Strigons don't retreat and instead disobey their flight lead to fight alongside him. You have all your Emmerian squadrons, the Marigold, and the ground battalions up against the full flight of Su-33s and an ocean of UAVs around the CFA-44. I also like the idea of having to fight fifty+ enemy aircraft as a two man team for a longer period of time. Maybe the allies don't show up until you two score a certain amount of kills, instead of fleeing far enough to the west.

So when's AC Zero HD with Ace of Aces difficulty, where you face all three possible squadrons in a row instead of just one? Or Excalibur with ACI's motherfucking laser web where the UAVs bear the mirrors?