What's in a title?

Post games that have titles that are just absolute genius and talk about why so many recent games have such shit and bland titles

Call me a retard but I don't get whats so clever about it being called Devil May Cry, like I know what it is within the context of the story, but what's so genius about it OP?

It's a clever name that quickly jumps to the eye, it's catchy, extremely memorable and the title fits extremely well with the game, for whatever reason.
It just feels like there was either a lot of thought behind it or someone just came up with it after a dream

Shoulda called it "Devil May Die" since it's about killin' demons and shit. "Devil May Cry" sounds like something a gay nigga would play.

Devil May die is what a western dev would've called it
Too edgy

Devil May Cry borrows from the term "devil may care" which is used to describe high profile, risky behavior that is exhibited by an individual that harbors a casual or dismissive attitude towards the potential dangers or risks that may be involved in his behavior. In this way, it succinctly describes Dante's carefree and reckless behavior and attitude. You could also come to the conclusion that the phrase implies that only one who holds such an attitude could ever hope to overcome and defeat insurmountable challenges, or that such an attitude should be celebrated and coveted.

It's just a play on words, really.

It's a distortion of the phrase "devil may care" which describes the main character's personality. It's used in the manual stating Dante's skilled enough that even the devil may cry for mercy. And last is the main theme of the series and that what separates and humanity is the fact that humans possess empathy and the ability to cry. It works on three levels user!

It's because Dante beats the shit out of demons so hard that he makes them cry like babies.

That's just japanese

Who wouldn't want to play a game called One Finger Death Punch?

Dark Souls

Basically the ancient prehistoric race found souls of different kinds, becoming powerful beings. There was this little motherfucker that found a unique 'dark' soul that the others feared. he split the dark soul up among his descendants, the humans, and they lived in the shadows of the great lord giga niggas for years, each one containing a fragment of the 'dark soul'.

Basically "Dark Souls" = Mankind

really made me think

Game manages to explain its backstory with a one-word title. No intro cutscene, no hastily-written manual with an excuse plot at the front. Just "Banished"

That game has amazing gameplay. No joke.

I have no mouth and I must scream is a book you cunt.

Devil May Cry and Metal Gear Solid are good names because they're classic japanese title butchery. The stuff is hilarious.

citation needed

While the whole "Dynasty Warriors" is pretty ok title, memorable and descriptive, sereis' actual title translates roughly as Truly Unrivaled of Three Kingdoms is absolutely fucking badass and perfectly describes the strive of playable characters to attain such title.
Most of them actually claim to becoming one once you defeat 1000 enemies in the current level.

"…Is this not your wish? To know the truth of men and the Undead?"
"The truth, I shall share, without sentiment. After the advent of fire, the ancient lords found the three souls, but your progenitor found a fourth, unique soul; the Dark Soul. Your ancestor claimed the Dark Souls and waited for fire to subside, and soon the flames did fade, and only dark remained. Thus began the age of man, the age of Dark. However, Lord Gwyn trembled at the dark, clinging to his age of fire, and in dire fear of humans; and the dark lord who would one day be born amongst them. Lord Gwyn resisted the course of nature by sacrificing himself to link the fire, and commanding his children to shepherd the humans. Lord Gwyn has blurred your past to prevent the birth of the Dark Lord."

It's a short story