Can we get a Souls thread going? I have no one else to talk builds with

Can we get a Souls thread going? I have no one else to talk builds with.

What talk is there to have, DaS1 and 2 builds are talked out and DaS3 builds are basically minor variances of a dex/quality long/curved sword build or a joke build until the DLCs come out and hopefully rebalance all forms of magic and shit.

DS3 has only Dex-builds user.

I didn't know, I just got into Souls

I didn't just mean DS3 user.

40 Vig, 40 str, 40 dex, refined caestus.
My best build and most fun.

Did you want a magic character or a fighting character?

What was the AR with that build?

Fighting.

If you just get into DS i would suggest a quality build because it's most forgiving to make mistakes and allows you to experiment more with weapons.

There's literally nothing that can go wrong with a Quality build.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm midway through DS1 and I got the BKH, which is fun as fuck.

It's a build where you invest in str and dex almost equally to profit from two-handed. It stems from quality weapons in demon's souls scaling from both stats.

So what you're saying is I shouldn't do what he said?

It really doesn't matter.
Dark souls is easy enough that you don't need to min/max to beat it.
/fa/ souls where it's at.

How the fuck are the Claymore, Pike, Halberd or Pick not good weapons for a first playthrough and especially for someone who might want to switch weapons often because he's not familiar with them.

I see. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the scaling system and such. I know how the S-E ranks work related to DEX or STR, but I can't quite figure out enough to plan ahead with reinforcing and stuff.

Quality is great for someone who just started since it lets them try a bit of everything so they know what they might want to focus on for their later characters. It's also fairly easy to end up doing casually since new players tend to over level.

Most important thing for new players to know is just not to level anything over 40 since diminishing returns kick in hard.

No, I mean why the fuck would you say to someone who just started to pick a build which name can only be readily understood by DeSfags ? This isn't /a/, you have the right to be helpful.

Thanks to the Law of Monkey Island I hadn't bought DaS2 previously. Grabbed it today, got it installing now. I've heard it's not as good as the first but I loved the first so much it'd have to be pretty goddamn bad for me to not enjoy it ten dollar's worth. What am I in for, lads?

Is is the Scholar of the First Sin edition? Or just the base game?

disappointment

Scholar is on sale for 10 bucks. I picked it up too, fucking loved Dark Souls 3, got me to play the first one, and I'm addicted.

SotFS, which I presume is the new way to say "game of the year edition"

If you loved DaS3 there's a good chance you'll find some enjoyment in DaS2 too.

Yeah it's just the base game + the DLC and some new shaders.

If you like slow heavy, high damage weapons, focus on STR.
If you like fast, low damage weapons, go DEX.
Something in between, level up both equally.

Find a weapon you like, try it out against some weak enemies.
If you like it, take it to +5, or +10 if you know the farming spots.
If it's one of the weapons you think will carry you through the game, take it to +15.
And ALL weapons can carry you through the game. Find one with a moveset you like, that's the most important thing.

I tried beating Demon's Souls earlier in the year, and I hit the brick wall of the Maneaters. I've started a new character since I destroyed my world tendency on my last character, and I wanted just wanted to know how viable the Great Club is in DeS.

Nice.

Is the Black Knight Halberd as good in DS2 as it is in DS1?

I don't know.
I went through DS2 with greatsword and medium armour.
Fucking amazing, so I hate how DS3 nerfed STR weapons.

(witnessed)
I tried out the greatsword in 3 and 1, wasn't a huge fan of it. I just like that quick downward chop the Halberd has, especially with the damage it does.

My toaster can't play DS3 but from what I hear, STR weapons were nerfed and poise is fucked on the whole.
I went through DS1 using some proto-Giantdad set, so I assume something like that doesn't work nearly as well in DS3? Or is it just a PVP thing and I can still Zweihand my way to victory in the single-player without difficulty?

I beat DS3 using only the claymore, so I assume those bitching are PVP whores.

Nope, BK weapons are surprisingly shitty in 2.

Why do they always have to take something good and destroy it?

You get interrupted when swinging your gigantitic fuck-off sword.
So even in PvE, the faster enemies and bosses will wreck your shit. Not sayig it's impossible, but the stats required to wield heavy weapons and the lack of hypearmour make DEX weapons far superior.

So what's the best DEX scaling weapon?

"Best". Depends on what you want. Moveset is king, and different movesets appeal to different people.
Balder Side Sword in DS1 is the best weapon in the game, if a little boring. Not 100% dex, but the STR side helps make use of your default STR points, and it has the most versitile move set in the game.
DS2, I don't fucking know as I went STR build.
DS3 I went with with Irithyll rapier which both looked cool and wrecked shit since you could spam light attack to chain stun in PvP, and attack-then-roll quickly in PvP.

Irithyll rapier was pretty damn good. I dunno if it was the best decision, but I infused it with Bleed, and wrecked shit in PvP.

If you've got the stats for heavier armors you can go do 5-3 and get the dark silver armor and shield which stops a huge chunk of the Maneaters' damage.

I just realized I meant to say normal rapier and not the Irithyll rapier. Now I look like a liar.

I just liked the particle effect, and had never done a pure dex build before.
Despite that, I really REALLY hate how essential DS3 made dex builds, since both heavy armour and heavy weapons are useless compared to light amrour and dex weapons.

I fought around the lantern in the middle of the arena and beat them easily enough.

It is pretty weird they favored DEX builds so much. Wonder why they decided to do that.

I've beaten Bloodborne twice with just the axe. 2nd playthrough I used whirlynig at the end. What should I try that isn't so babby-tier?

NOT cane by the way.
There's challenge and then there's annoyance and that's what the cane is. Annoying.

The only thing it's good at is killing crows and fast animals.

Quality takes way too long to be effective, and is a noob trap.

Dex/Pyro is the ultimate build in both versatility and sheer effectiveness right out the gate.

Balder Side Sword, Silver Knight Spear, Great Scythe, Uchigatana, Iaito, Chaos Blade.

All of those are top-tier, and most can be obtained extremely early in-game.

Pile Bunker.

I don't think it was a conscious decision, I think they just thought the heavy attack hyper armor on heavy weapons was going to be more useful than it was and that the two-hit combo auto-break would do more against spam.

Why not patch it then?

Any fixes for 360 controllers not working in Scholar of the First Sin?

user pls

Should be steeru not steer

I always forget the Japs made it. Not used to good games coming out of the East.

I started the series for the first time a few weeks ago myself. I've got what I call a "Barbarian" build: Naked with the Black Knight Sword. I bumped my Strength up to 40 as early as I could and have a high Dex as well. I named him Cohen the Barbarian

Brilliant.

They also made it ridiculously annoying to even attempt to get a light role with even medium armor and weapons. Everyone isj ust a quality build with different fashion at this point using katanas and curved swords. I have seen polearms as well. Another issue is just how damn good parrying is and how it can one shot almost anyone if you even want to do pvp, so now all you see are faggots with rapiers trying to parry people to one shot them.

Would be 10/10, the collision detection in DS1 is godawful.

Kind of focusing more on bloodborne, but did anyone else think it had a lot of flaws? The constant amount of farming required just to be viable for endgame and new game plus is really shit. The bosses also feel obnoxiously spongy in the later chalice dungeons and on new game +. There also is a huge difference in how some of the later bosses can make the gameplay really shit if you try to use an aggressive style that bloodborne is supposed to support.

Why not patch a lot of things? It took them like two months to fix things that were super broken in 1, and I don't remember how long to fix the durability bugs in 2. I think they're just kinda shit at upkeeping their games.

On the subject of builds, anyone know of a good Havel the Rock build? Want to go all in with his gear.

For what game? Faith and strength builds are really shit in dark souls 3 sadly. Pure faith is shit as well. Honestly you just need enough faith and attunement to have some of the basic buff spells that don't rely on faith.

Just the first. I know 3 is poor for build variety.

Farming for what, echoes? Gems? Shards? The game gives you a shitload of echoes and enough shards to focus on two or three weapons per playthrough. You shouldn't need to worry about gems until NG+2 or 3, and definitely not for NG endgame.

The word "aggressive" in the marketing describes the combat as a whole, not you specifically. The bosses get more aggressive, so you need to be more defensive. Which bosses gave you trouble anyway?

Just build around the requirements of Havel's Set and the Dragon Tooth, not that hard

I am talking about blood gems. A lot of the new game + bosses require the best blood gems to even make the game remotely fast paced, or else most of the bosses are just sponges that follow the pattern of dodging constantly and then striking once when they are open. THe gameplay is honestly slower than dark souls in terms of how fast bosses can be defeated. Some weapons are even completely nonviable in bloodborne in later new game + playthroughs

The bosses I am talking about consist of ludwig, rom, ebrietas, and the Yharnam queen. They are all bosses that rely on not being aggressive. Hell, ebrietas even have attacks that punish you if you try to dodge them with one hit kills. New game plus bosses are even more ridiculous in terms of trying to avoid damage since it is so high that rally is made useless on some enemies. Hoenstly I saw no point in playing after the third playthrough and a little bit into new game plus 4.

I think there's a misconception here that fast-paced combat automatically means a boss will die more quickly than in a game with slow-paced combat, and I don't know how you reached that conclusion. Larger bosses having larger health pools makes sense, and it's better than larger bosses in the previous games that could be taken out in ten or fifteen seconds if you knew what you were doing. The NG+ scaling still isn't nearly as harsh as it was on DeS, I don't see the problem.

The fights with Rom and Ebrietas go very quickly if you know their weaknesses, so I'm not sure what problem you're having. If NG+4 is tough and you wanted to play the game again, you should just start a new build on a new save file instead.

I picked the Knight class, so I guess I should be alright.

you mean quality builds, all meta builds generally speaking are 40 / 40 - or in some cases hollow builds, 27 str, 40 dex, 30 luck (with 2 hollow weapons pushing to 40 luck)

Unless you make a single mistake or take your eye off the screen for a splitsecond in which case the Boss kills you in one hit of course.

If you can't handle such perfect and engaging gamedesign you clearly didn't git gud enuff yet.

black knight halberd in terms of its stats is fantastic in DS2 - the issue with halberds in DS2 is the direct hit system. you have to actually hit something with the blade of the weapon to do full damage with it. Which means its tricky to use properly

Oh if that's the case I should be good. Spacing shouldn't be too much of an issue after a while of practice.

Spacing on top of shitty enemy animations and hitboxes.

I don't know the actual data, but when I got direct hits two handed on the BKH, it felt like I was doing more than the standard 20% buff from 2hand. I was doing about 550 damage, so I thought there might be 3 varying spots. The weak, medium, and strong one. Could be wrong.

The halberd is split damage, but like most things, it's still buffable. That gives you a lot of damage even though it uses fire, which is by far the weakest element.

whats the strongest?

If you're complaining about a game punishing you for not looking at the screen, yeah, I'll say you haven't

Pretty sure it's still lightning

Reminder that
POISEFAGS DESERVED THEIR SUFFERING

That only starts to happen with a few bosses on new game plus 2 and up.

The problem though is that the entire game was pushed to be fast paced and support aggressive combat. Even the rally system tries to push that idea and the quick parry from the guns. Another issue is how the guns are not useful outside of parrying and stunning enemies from a distance. The major problem is just how much of a damage sponge everything is for later playthroughs, especially if you use low damage weapons. Even the weapons that should be fast can't really be used to their full potential.

And it does, but I think expecting "aggressive" to mean that you can spam attacks against something five times your size without pause or interruption is pretty misguided.

They are, once you get around to trying a bloodtinge build. If anything, ranged options and bloodtinge are overpowered.

It wasn't overrated, it was casual mechanic for scrubs and memers.
Game benefited greatly from removing it.

I am not talkign about spamming attacks. I am talking about at least getting a few attacks in with fast weapon. You can even be more aggressive in dark souls and demon souls. A bloodtinge build only goes so far to make your gun deal a mild amount of damage with your gun. You only really ever use it for parrying or the occasional safe hit. There is also the issue of the constant farming you have to do for silver bullets. Bloodtinge is overpowered mainly due to the melee weapons it has. The bowblade, the mace, and the chikage are some of the most broken weapons in the game outside of the pizza cutter.

>Slevel 58
I have been killed 2 times all from ultra greatsword users, having a blast but I'll proably try to get to new game+ is slevel 120 still the "max" level for pvp?

If you're not getting at least a few attacks in with a fast weapon then the problem is on your end, even the most aggressive bosses like Ludwig or the Orphan have enough cooldown that you can land two or three hits every time there's an opening.

A good bloodtinge build with a highly upgraded gun can deal about as much per shot as a hit from a melee weapon, which is especially useful when trying to land hits on bosses' weakpoints, since usually every boss' head can be crippled (after which it will give even more damage per hit). You will never, ever need to farm bullets since blood bullets will let you have an excess of 100 of them on every outing, plus whatever additional vials and bullets you pick up. Some of the guns like Evelyn and the bowblade are so good you can practically go full ranged once you're powerful enough.

Don't know what tightrope you want to walk between "not useful" and "broken", sounds like the problem's mostly on your end.

While I agree with you on it being a bad mechanic, I think removing it without replacing it with a decent anti-spam system makes the game worse overall. Better hyper armor windows on heavy weapons would probably be all it would take.

Isn't the DLC coming out in a few weeks ?

I never said bloodtinge is useless. I said that guns do not deal enough damage on later playthroughs. The melee bloodtinge weapons are broken. The thing though is that fast weapons getting two or three hits in a supposedly aggressive and fast paced game is retarded.

October 25 is when the first DS3 dlc comes out. The main issue so far is that it apparently only has 2 bosses while supposedly being extremely long.

There are 3 anti-spam systems
1 - Hyperarmor which is as you said is pretty bad as it is, but it's still there, you only need to learn what weapons on what frames have it
2 - 2 hits mercy invincibility. You get unvul frames after being hit 2 times in a row, allowing you free action.
3 - parrying. If retard spams estoc or katana or straight sword at you, nothing is easier than to parry his ass into oblivion.
Effective use of all three makes spammers a non-issue.

What's "enough damage"? Enough damage to kill an enemy? Enough damage to score a visceral attack on a boss? Both of those things are possible.

The criteria was "at least getting a few attacks in", which they do, what's the problem? This is just for the fastest bosses, with Rakuyo or Blade of Mercy you can whale on the bosses for quite a while.

I find that hard to believe considering that a second DLC pack is also coming out.