Paper Mario Color Splash

You thought it was bad from the trailers?

It's even worse than what you expected.

At least the OST is great

He sounds so bored, is this guy for real? He sounds like he is trying way too hard to sound like he isn't bored out of his mind

I was hoping it wasn't a repeat of Sticker Star but I'm still let down. It's sad, because it looks very beautiful.

How can this and SS be so bad when they both have so many talented veterans from the industry behind them? It's all Miyamoto isn't it?.

Remember when hearing "Paper Mario" made you expect a 110/10 solid mix of gameplay and story, with lighthearted, funny moments as well as feels?

I'm willing to bet Color Splash will be more Paper Mario than Super Paper Mario was.

We already knew that this one will set a new low for the series.

I've heard that it was Miyamoto who wanted Sticker Star to be like it ended up being, but I've also heard that It was some other people at Nintendo who wanted these new Paper Mario games to have just Toads, mainline Mario enemies and a "new" way to play the game, since they think M&L is the Mario RPG series now and don't want more than one of that genre.
I wouldn't know what to believe, might not even be either things, but it's shit anyways.

It's because he's playing Color Splash

Thankfully, I've only played the original, and TTYD, so my memories are still sweet. Also didn't play Other M, or many other bastardizations of fun games. I stopped playing RE after beating 5 solo and in co-op mode.

I apparently dodge more bullets than Gray Fox, and for this, I am grateful.

God the soundtrack is so fucking dull.

Just like the rest of the game. I cant wait to see sales figures for the game when it bombs like TMS

Ya great music.

This again? It's a Watergate reference. Most people would assume five men and a scandal to be Watergate anyways.

That's exactly how I feel about it. At least it should produce some quality screenshots to look at.

There's another screen of the paint bucket commenting on how stupid it is to add "-gate" to a word.

copy paste the fucking game
jesus fucking christ is that shit terrible

same set of enemies for 5 hours.
this makes korean grind mmos look good

Haven't seen it. Hopefully someone can share it.

But the game is beautiful

Are we only here to suffer?

I wasn't expecting that

WEW LAD

I miss when Miyamoto being involved made things good like pics related. If you want a theory, I remember how he wanted to retire from being a big time game dev a few years back but basically the internet and Nintendo wouldn't really let him. I think this is his way to try getting people to not like him as much so when he tries again, there won't be push back.

The faggot behind Tingle's Freshly Picked Rubies (which is a humorous game filled with inappropriate innuendos but sucks major balls in the gameplay department) is behind all of this mess as well

It doesn't really matter. Nintendo is never going to be able to comfortably part with its old guard because the rest of the company is submissive the the point of near-crippling dependency.

faggots

Even the N64 game didn't have animations that fucking terrible

Don't forget

After watching all of Crunchii's Live streams and just shitposting in the chat

This isn't gonna be a bad game. I mean there are some parts that generally made me laugh. Also not knowing who the le ebin twist ending final boss is killing me because he says its not Bowser or what ever. That and Huey's Black Goop Origin

So is it worth a pirate?

It's not a bad game, but it's just not very special. They're playing it as safe as possible, sticking to familiar treads. And I wouldn't mind that if it meant they would take more chances with a sequel and make it more like TTYD, but the interview in is pretty clear about them not wanting to take any chances. At this rate, both Paper Mario and M&L will grow stagnant.

Oh yes, localization staff.. That's how you do humor.. Vague, awkward observations that don't register as jokes and only vaguely come off as references to people who know what the fuck you're talking about.

You wanted a game for people who can't read, right nintendo?

SO YOU MADE A GAME FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE NO BRAINS, NINTENDO?

Fuck this world when extremely paranoid shit turns out to be true. I don't know why it actually surprises me to happen though.

Is there a reason why localizers seem so set on alienating the old fanbase instead of trying to win them back while keeping the new fanbase?

the localizers don't care if the game sells or not, this is a chance for them to "write" (tumblr posts). they don't have the foresight to think beyond 'my friends on twitter would this this is epic'

Perhaps they think that "old' fans are toxic shitlords, and don't want to cater to them by having decent writing?

Nothing paranoid about it. We knew these faggots had infiltrated the industry and we've seen for the past few years that they have no qualms about forcing their stupid ideology into their work.

They're recycling the sombrero guys even? Now see, if they'd be content with just having a part of the game with only generic villains and being aware of it that would be fun, but you can bet half of the fans hate them by this point and won't appreciate it.

People are still pretending as if this game is bad because it isn't TTYD2?

Pathetic. You are all cucks.

I love how far these goalposts have been moved these past few months. First the game didn't have personality, then it was because it was a Sticker Star sequel, then it was because of the silly tone.

It's time to admit that you are the problem here. The game itself is fine for what it is.

cody this better not be you.

Those are all still valid reasons not to like the game.
Wouldn't blindly accepting shit even if it's not what you like be the bigger sign of being a cuck, anyway?

another theory is that microsoft replaced high ranking folks from sony and nintendo with body doubles. notice how nobody talks shit about xbox or vaccines these days, although nobody likes windows 10.

Localization has nothing to do with how the game plays or what the base of the story is about. The fact the game itself is moving further and further away from what it used to be is a NoJ/Intelligent Systems problem.

What the Localization team is doing, is more like icing on this cake we've been given.

And whats sad is that thanks to early good reviews and impressions, Nintendo got the impression that this is what fans want.

GUYS GET IN HERE HES ABOUT TO GO TO THE FINAL BOSS

Please tell me again why Jewtendo thought this was a brillian idea

Shit wrong link!

I am smhtbhfam_______

HE DID IT!!!

That guy from Lovedelic right? He is good.

Fucking hell man I didnt need this feel

golden

The feel that it is ALL HIS FAULT or something?

Kindly remember that Iwata did many things wrong, being dead doesn't change that.

But he was still more reasonable then whoever the fuck is holding the reins now.

From Sticker Star, at any rate. Game was shit-easy so journalists liked it and it had absolutely massive initial sales because people were expecting a Paper Mario game, but it's been an $8 bargain bin title for years now.

Color Splash's initial announcement met with a resounding sigh of apathy

Yep, Sticker Star was the best selling PM game.

Mind you many who bought it were uninformed people who thought it was still gonna be TTYD2 WITH CHAIN CHOMP PARTNER return to formula, especially in light of SPM which didn't do so hot with its experimentation.

I was willing to look past the ShuffleGate line, because you could argue that it was an innocent reference to Watergate. But this–this is much less subtle, and in a completely different scene. I even looked this scene up so I could get some context…and this line makes even less sense because they are, in fact, talking about an actual gate here!

Now I don't want to buy the game simply because I don't want to condone Treehouse's antics.

were you thinking of buying it beforehand?

They're commies, duh.

why the fuck were you considering buying this in the first place?

you know its kind of interesting how people on both sides of the fence are getting asshurt over those references. didnt the whore make an angry tweet about it or was that a fake?

nintentards are like battered wives

they know nintendo treats them like shit but buy their shitty amiboos and stuff because muh mario zelda pookiemons [insert more kids franchises]

i just want to let you know i appreciate this old school shit posting

Paper Mario's first 4 chapters:
-Normal-ish area reminiscent of mario games with a castle to storm at the end. The boss? A koopa version of the ninja turtles/power rangers.
-Desert with useless archaeologist koopas and a secret, "haunted" tomb, where you fight a dumb koopa pharaoh at the end and make him get his butt bit by his own chain chomp.
-A creepy-ass haunted forest, Boo's mansion with a bunch of player-trolling mechanics, all followed up by a mexican-esque dry hills area where you have to deal with a giant invincible monster eating ghosts, who lives in his own giant mansion.
-A magical toybox wonderland filled with shy guys, tied in closely with the hub world town as the shy guys have stolen a WHOLE BUNCH of shit from the townspeople. There's a creepy fucking ghost you have to fight to free an underageb& spark girl, and then at the end you get to fight a General Shy Guy… and his entire army. And a tank.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door's first 4 chapters:
-A pleasant countryside with rich fields of grain, lush woods, and a very troublesome dragon problem. You have to solve quiz games???? and beat up a bunch of angry tribbles to get the keys to a secret means of getting to the castle the dragon is holed up in, all so you can avenge the death of your follower's father, stop the dragon, and save the town.
-Acid trip: Innawoods edition, where you have to make your way through one of the most surreal-looking locales in the entire series, recruit an ex-diva, break into a giant tree, and then manage an increasingly-large army of glow sticks in siege warfare against a bunch of fucking bees. At the end you have to escape before the tree explodes and fight a goddamned mecha.
-An entire chapter where Mario becomes the equivalent of a professional wrestler, climbs the ranks of the professional wrestling scene, becomes the champion at professional wrestling, and then has to uncover the dark underbelly of the wrestling scene and figure out why wrestlers have been mysteriously disappearing.
-A gloomy-ass village where the villagers are being routinely turned into pigs, one at a time. Mario has to journey to the haunted church at the edge of the creepy-ass woods to stop whoever's responsible, ending in a fight against a transforming bedsheet ghost. And then the bedsheet ghost steals your name and body and you have to spend the second half of the chapter teaming up with a recurring villain, figuring out the ghost's real name, and finding out where he hid the "p" on the name entry menu, all so you can call him out and get your body back in a fight against your former party members.

Sticker Star/Color Splash's first 4 chapters:
-Memes
-Stale jokes
-Maybe a modern culture "reference" or two (see the "gate" comments)
-At least one lolsorandumb XD comment
-A single companion sprite that always has the static personality of being slightly bossy and uppity, playing the 'straight man' to the game's wackiness and falling flat 100% of the time
-No interesting plots
-No weird, interesting premise for each chapter
-No plot twists
-Bowser as the primary villain again

And that's without getting into things like badges no longer existing, there being no room for you to get stronger because all of your power is picked up from the world around you, and the un-fucking-satisfying gameplay loop of having to save good attacks for the bosses so you can beat them, forcing you to endure rather than enjoy normal encounters as they waste your cards/stickers.

What did we do to deserve this? Those gook fucks. It didn't have to be this way. They should hand over all of their franchises, Pikmin, Paper Mario, Zelda, all of it over to Western developers who grew up with the original games. And then the veteran Japanese developers would work for them, because Jesus Christ, we just need good, solid games, not all of this gimmick shit. It makes me sad to realize that Nintendo will never make another game as incredible as Ocarina of Time, even though the technology available to them is so much better today. They just lack the same charm and inspiration they had when they were forced to use a normal fucking controller like every other system.

Fuck I'll take Color Splash.

I assure you it is.

Sorry to burst into your little circlejerk and ruin your parade. But Color Splash, despite your bitching, is turning out great.

There's a good reason no one is talking about the actual game in this thread.

Yes, and that's because the game
ISN'T OUT YET!
You dumb fuck, we only have videos from a few people who got a leak and that's fucking it.
"It's turning out great" ooh, says who? The same reviewers that are corrupt as shit and blindly give out 9/10s to 6/10 games so they keep getting invited to previews and pre-events? Fuck off before your retardation pops and infects everyone else.

They're sort of doing us a backhanded favor. They are making sure that shit is well branded as shit.

That one sentence disproves that.

So you were on board with Sticker Star 2 up to this point? Why?

Cody you need to be 18 to post here on Holla Forums.

Even tough it isn't like 64 or TYD, it still looked fun, and better than Sticker Star. At the very least it has pseudo-partners in the form of enemy cards. If you like TYD, than that's great. I don't care enough to get a Gamecube, I'm too retarded to emulate, and I'm to moralfag to pirate. I love Paper Mario 64, and if I ever want to play it again, I can just boot it up on Virtual Console.

It still has the same flawed boom-bust cycle Sticker Star had.

You still pick up attacks from the world instead of building up a character, you still have coins as your sole resource (aside from the titular paint), you still don't gain EXP, there's still no badge system, you're still going to end up dodging a huge chunk of battles as they waste your resources, unless they've found some way to force you to do them. The PROBLEM with Sticker Star was not just the stylistic change, the PROBLEM with Color Splash is not just that the world looks like a papercraft, or that there are cards involved.

The problem is that a central, core thing in RPGs is having a character that gets stronger, whose arsenal of moves gets bigger and better over time, a sense of progression, and of customization. In 64 and TTYD AND Super, you had that feeling of getting stronger, of growing better over time. In Sticker Star and Color Splash, battles are just a fucking annoyance that waste your stickers/cards, giving you coins you can use to (wait for it) get more cards. It's bland, and boring, and there's nothing fun about it. It is all the trappings of an RPG with none of the actual grit.

I tried to like Sticker Star; really, I really did, but it was a soul-crushingly boring and (excuse me) flat game. There was zero depth to it, and the shallow mechanics weren't even fun at all. Worse, they fucked up the latest Mario and Luigi by dragging Paper Mario's new blandness into it, and the game SUFFERED AS A RESULT. You will get tired of Color Splash the same way I got tired of Sticker Star, and the same way I got tired of Paper Jam Bros. It is all the fucking SAME. IT IS THE SAME SHIT IN NEW AND VIBRANT LOCALES, AND IT'S ALL FUCKING AWFUL, ALL OF IT. Oh you're tired of fighting koopa troopas HERE HAVE STACKED KOOPA TROOPAS LOOK AT HOW INVENTIVE AND CLEVER WE ARE.

And all of those are mechanics complaints, mind you. I'm not even, I'm not touching the story, or the blandness of the locales or the fact that we'll never get another English-translated game out of Nintendo without Treehouse's fucking dirty politically-motivated shit smeared all over it.

I'm complaining about the fact that they took arguably the best Mario RPG ever produced– a turn-based RPG with a ridiculously fun and interesting combat system, unique characters, a dark and gritty locale, witty (not lolsorandum) humor and funny moments, actually diverse and interesting places to go, weird and entertaining premises for each part of the game– followed it up with a weird-but-different game that wasn't as good, and then completely lost the plot.

this video is 5 hours long

is that it, the entire game is only 5 hours long?

There's four videos, so no. Of all the things to be upset over, the game's length is not one of them.

It's like they have no idea why Paper Mario, and apparently Splatoon now, were fundamentally so well received in the first place.

wat