Rogue Legacy

does this game ever get fun?

It's kind of a chore, but you do get stronger and mowing down enemies with one hit is sort of fun.

It has the chance to be fun, but holds itself back with unneeded obstacles.

i think it's fun from the beginning but that's just like my opinion man
i like hand of fate way more

It only gets more grindy the longer you play.

It would do better with no upgrades and leveling

It would also be a lot better if upgrades weren't just number grinding and most traits weren't just pointless or make the character usless like shortsighted or color blindness.
And why the fuck is there a genetic gay trait?
Being gay is not genetic and you still can have descendants anyway.
It smells like a hamfisted political statement: "see your sexuality doesn't matter and everyone who thinks gays are differen't are bigots"

i recently beat it last week out of sheer boredom

no, it never gets good. though that's to be expected for what was 2013's biggest indie memegame

I can assure you that it doesn't. Risk of Rain, in spite of its tiny, amateurish sprites, is so much better in the "roguelite" vein.

But, by all means, you'll have more fun with Rogue itself.

No, it's grindy garbage.
The remix bosses are interesting, if bullshit at times.

If you're not having fun now, it never gets better.

No, it doesn't.
I have beaten this game several times and I've probably put 30+ hours into it. To prove it, here are my current stats.
Just stop playing it now.

First of all CANCER and second the moment that one of your offsprings gets 'gay" as a trait , that should be an immediate 'game over' unless you manage to make it to the end and kill the last boss

No it really doesn't.

But what are some good rogue-lite games? I've enjoyed Risk of Rain, Dungeon of the Endless, and A Wizard's Lizard Mostly for the soundtrack. I'd like to try to get into this genre or at least understand why so many people like it.

This.
I even got all the achievements for it, including the Thanatophobia one. It wasn't worth it and I sincerely regret having this much autism.

I will never think this is a good mechanic for rogueshits. It should be about skill and luck, not grinding.

Fucking no. It's meta progression is shit and boring and becomes a bigger grind than fucking Warframe near the end. It's core gameplay is not suited to a roguelite at all and is mediocre. Level and enemy design is beyond fucking annoying.

Not like there's all that many good roguelites out there compared to how saturated the genre is.

This. Progression is supposed to give you more options in subsequent runs, not direct power.

FTL, Spelunky and Binding of Isaac(get Afterbirth) while not the first games in the (sub?)genre, are the one that popularized it and are all pretty good.

Other big ones that worth taking a look at off the top of my tongue are Enter the Gungeon, Don't Starve and 20XX. There's plenty of other good ones, but the genre is so over-saturated with total shit it's almost not worth looking.

thanks friends, now I know it's not just me. gonna stop wasting my time hoping for it to get good and move on to something I might actually enjoy.

the vast majority of the descendant traits are just gimmicky bullshit that's not humorous, cute, or endearing in the slightest, contrary to what most of the reviews fawning over it would claim.

also fuck the fedora fags who give glowing reviews to this shit and ruse me into wasting my time on garbage games. fucking 94% positive reviews on steam jesus christ, some faggots just need to have their reviewing privilege revoked, bunch of mini Ben Cuckeras.

I thought it was too short myself.
Its a different game that took chances I thought turned out kind of fun.
We should encourage developers to take more chances.

Yeah, once you get gud.

I don't think it's a "bad" game, but it does a few things pretty badly. If it aligns with what you're into, it's tolerable, and sometimes fun, but I probably wouldn't go out and recommend it to someone. Sort of a guilty pleasure / "if you're bored" sort of game

Chaos, consume us.

Darkest Dungeon is pretty good too, I enjoyed it about as much as FTL

I cant really get into Darkest Dungeon. I mean I like it, I guess, but I heard it's pretty RNG and grindy. The artstyle bothers me somewhat, too.

It's considerably less fun once you unlock the abilities, have the means, and the knowledge to easily defeat the bosses. Much like Darkest Dungeon

I actually really like a lot of the popular indie roguelite games like Spelunky and Isaac but I couldn't get into Rogue Legacy and couldn't put my finger on exactly why, this thread has cleared up a few things.

Do you ever get good?

Why the fuck would you even play the game if you didnt have fun. Either you are lying or have some kind of disorder.

I got a few hours into it and had to quit. The things got a horrible art style, but that's just the frosting on top.

It really upset me, I like the concept but its an awful game just let it go user.

none of these things are true
git gud shitter

He did mention autism.

I found Rogue Legacy to be fun at the beginning where I still felt like my skill was helping me get better at the game, but the more I unlocked, the more boring it got.

The developers have not understood what Rogue is about. Rogue is what happens when you take a slow and bloated (not necessarily in a bad way) genre and reduce it to its core minimum. Rogue is the closes you will get to an arcade-RPG. At every run you have theoretically the same chance to beat the game, even the very first time you boot it up. When you lose you simply roll a new character and try over with the same chances of success (yes, I know about the RNG, but I'm trying to make a point here). It's like putting a coin into an arcade machine and there is nothing aside from your skill that will decide how far into the game you can make it. That's what makes Rogue so addictive, you can just pop it in, play for a while and then get on with your live. If you don't have it on your machine you just download it from your package manager (you are using Unix, right?), play it and when you are bored of it or you really need those 250kB you can uninstall it again. No need to cling to your five year old save files. It's a casual hardcore game.

Rogue Legacy doesn't deserve its name. It doesn't matter how good you are at it, there is no way you can beat the game on your first run; even if you have insane levels of skill you will get bored from hitting enemies always for only one point of damage. RL gives you the illusion of getting better by giving you permanent upgrades, the more you play it, the stronger your character becomes. It appeals to the modern treadmill gamer who expects to beat the game as long as they invest enough time, that's why it is popular with modern game reviewers. But for classic gamers who value skill over sheer time it's just a boring grind.

This is something FTL got right: even on your first run when you only have the lame ship you could still beat the game. You still have to unlock new ships, but those are just different "classes" rather than just blatant stat increases. I still don't like unlocking classes, but it's slightly better and you can also use a cheat tool to unlock all the ships. If it wasn't for the cheat tool I think I would have gotten bored in FTL as well.

And while I'm at it, I might as well shill Dungeons of Dredmor, it's a real roguelike with a quirky sense of humor and it has all the classes unlocked from the start.

I found Risk of Rain even more boring; killing anything took forever

ROR blows for the exact same reason BOI blows, skill means next to nothing, you're just at the mercy of dice rolls and hope the game doesn't throw an asshit of monsters at you

FTL, BOI, ROR, Don't Starve, played them all and I heavily dislike them all, but if I had to put them on a scale FTL is the worst by far, Don't Starve would be the best

But thats wrong. If you know how to play you can easily live. You can kite enemies around and ward them off hell even farm them decently. Especially in the underwater level.

Me and a friend did this constantly and would build up stats until we got overpowered. The only issue is the last two levels and thats only if you dont have the gear.

Fuck off, if you don't get any good power ups within 3 minutes you are absolutely fucked by enemies that take 100+ hits each time

nope