Okay, what the fuck is happening? I'm scared, Holla Forums...

Okay, what the fuck is happening? I'm scared, Holla Forums. So I bought the Metal Slug Anthology and immediately booted up my favorite game of the series, Metal Slug 2. I haven't played these games in years, but I still remember the little secrets and how much I love the series. I was also pretty good at MS2. I could make it to the Aliens without losing a single credit. Then I immediately realized something was wrong. I was dying constantly and raging at the game. So then I switched over to 3 and got destroyed by the snowmen. I can't really jump and shoot, I have the slugs for maybe a few seconds, and I get annihilated by the bosses. That never used to happen. Not as regularly anyways.

Have I gone casual? Are there any tips or something that could save me? Am I missing something here? Still great game regardless. Well, I haven't played 6 so I don't know about that one.

You haven't played in awhile dummy, even people who're great at vidya get their ass handed to them by these titles before they get their bearings.

Anthology uses the old revisions of the game. If you never actually played metal slug at an arcade. This is why you are sucking so horribly.

Both the Wii and PS2 anthology have massive input lag (the PS2 version in particular is really bad), higher than even PC emulators, boot up the same games in FBA / a NEOGEO / better ports and try again.

The steam ports DO NOT FUCKING EXIST they're literally shadow realm tier, worse than even the PS1 port of MSX.

That's disappointing to hear. I have the anthology on the wii, but I can't stand the goddamn controls. I guess I kind of got used to them though.

I think the PS2 version just released on the PS4. Wonder if they fixed anything.

Are you playing this on a tube TV or an HD display?

If you're using a modern monitor for PS2 games then the input lag may be fucking you up.

HD. I was playing on the Wii/Wii U. Currently looking into the PS4 version, otherwise I'll try what the other user said.

Almost sure it's worse.

I feel less input lag playing the PS2 individual ports on PCSX2 using an LCD than playing the anthology on a real PS2 with a CRT, the anthology ports are just THAT bad.

Well there's your fucking problem. You're playing a game that lags (according that one user) on top of playing it on a TV that lags. No wonder you can't win.

As far as I know, the PS2 version has zero lag, but I've never owned a neogeo, so I can't compare the two.

I DID however try the wii version, & the bosses

DID

NOT

BLINK

As in, you shoot them in their weak spots, & you can't tell if you're doing damage on hit. Some bosses can only be killed in a few titles by shooting specific spots, so I went right to the PS2 version when I noticed that.

PS2 version also had bad load times, but I have it installed on a hard drive on my hacked PS2 now & it's really not an issue for me anymore.

Slightly off topic, i've always wanted to give these games a try, are the PSP ones any good?

What would you say are the best console ports of each title? I don't want to buy a consolelized MVS if I don't have to, but if I can find arcade carts cheap enough I might do it down the road.

PSP version uses literal bootleg roms on a neo geo emulator. SNK either lost their source code, or couldn't be bothered to dump roms of their own games. Can't speak for how well they emulate.

I wonder if the Wii Virtual console ports are any good.

Well that's ghetto as fuck. Might as well try em anyways though, it's not like i'm paying for em.

just emulate it you nigger

For the absolute pure experience the real thing either a NEOGEO or a cabinet but that's obvious and unpractical.

A more practical solution is GroovyMAME with a good CRT, just don't go full retard and make a custom cab it's not worth it.

Then you have the various individual ports which sometimes have flaws (PS1 ports have crappy music for example) but mostly play fine (can't vouch for Saturn but I assume it's good).

Then you have standard PC emulation without any specific setup, it's not the worst but it's not the best, mostly good because it's free and you also get OC'ed emulation (aka no arcade accurate slowdown).

Emulating them yourself on an homebrew enabled console (Wii / PSP / DC / PS3 / X360) is also a very good option, not as accurate as possible but less input lag than using an actual PC for emulation but you get less option (a dreamcast with a VGA mod is you can get for that particular purpose).

Then you have the official PC anthology (DHM interactive) version which is literally an illegal MAME port for 1-5 and an actual port for 6, it and runs well (imagine what MAME looked like in 2006 and that's about how well it runs) but has a lot of quirks as well as included savestates, it's an oddity but it is one of the most reasonable way to run MS6 if you don't own a console that has a port of it.

Most other version are terrible or I haven't tested personally. Pretty much any VC/PSN/PC ports are a more or less crappy emulator (worse than what you can actually get on your own for free in all cases though because of licensing faggotry)

Might as well discuss some actual Metal Slug.

Favorite game? Favorite level? And why is Eri the best?

You are getting old and your reflexes are becoming shit

Own the Wii version here, any supposed input lag is hardly an issue.

What is an issue however is the lack of D-pad support on the Gamecube controller and no Classic controller support as well. Which is why you should get this version of the game.

Rust
That's all you need to know
I used to play MS3 and 4 a lot back then but now, I play the mobile version and it was pretty good

I have a CRT and this game and other SNK anthologies are next on my list to own.

How bad is the lag on the PS2 version?

A Neo Geo (consolized MVS) and a pirate multicart aren't THAT expensive. Really the best way to go to get the genuine experience on the cheap.

More expensive is getting an AES, a cart adapter, and a 166 in 1 cart.

Still far more thrifty than buying AES carts, which is a fool's game.

It's very simple user , you need to git gud again

there is 0 lag who told you that BS

There are some loading times here and there but none in game

Doesnt this have that forced waggle bullshit to throw grenades?

Casualization has cost you your skills

Left is PS1 and right is PS2 both can run at the same time because both emulators accept input when unfocused, this is with PCSX2 focused and the the other emulator unfocused (because unbfocused could make the input lag worse).

So either you have literally no standards or you're a fucking retard.

Well fucked the aspect ratio on that one, here's a better one.

Git gud
Again