ITT a list of games that are shit/became shit or were killed off because of eSports

ITT a list of games that are shit/became shit or were killed off because of eSports.

Other urls found in this thread:

datdota.com/blog/?p=1024
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Dota and counterstrike

Rest in peace tribes ascend. Apparently smite was more important.

The Street Fighter series. Every time they push for esports shit, the games get worse.

SF4 and SF5 were trash compared to the older games

Starcraft 2

like pottery

FTFY.

i posted too fast and forget to put

For me SFV is mostly shit because of its annoying as fuck lag and load times. Next is its lack of proper matchmaking and punishment of quitters. After that its all the lack of content with its roster foremost.

And then everything else

Anyway, fighting games in general are worse off because of e sports. Money making in general makes fighting games worse. Money making makes all games worse.

Not exactly eSports, but Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup used to basically be the best roguelike out there until the devs streamlined it to oblivion to cater to it's autistic "speedrunning" scene.

Xrd is pretty fun, but SFV has stalled the whole genre.

Because the programmers don't want to get paid or anything, right? They do it for free.

all of them

I remember Guild Wars 2 advertising a lot of esports shit when it was coming out but I don't know how much that can be blamed for it sucking.

I can't actually think of a game series that got better when the company tried to embrace the "competitive scene".

None at all. GW2 had worse PvP/competitive shit than the original by miles and almost no focus on it because they knew it was shit. The biggest issue was that everything else was shit too.

The "e-sporting" in Guild Wars (read: the wars between Guilds) was amazing.

RTS, the whole genre.

Planetside 2

Don't forget pachinko Silent Hill.

League of Legends. Its literally become P2W now, and the only reason its still "popular" is because of Koreans and casuals who love watching the events.

I wish this retardation would stop

its set in the same universe dipshit

So?
Pretty sure some Namco games shared an universe yet I've never seen anyone complain about differently named games not being in the same genre

Fuck off with your shit it's not RE therefore it can't ruin RE further

The only retarded here is you.

I just don't get it, removing parrying does nothing but remove the most badass parts of pro games like the most famous match in the history of fighting games (I was going to post an embed but surely everyone knows the fight I'm talking about already because it's THAT famous). Something like that will never happen again and I cannot comprehend why they chose that way. I'll even take the argument that parrying can make the game less fun to play but it certainly makes it far more fun to watch as well as master which is the appeal of esports, yet they removed it in the name of esports which is completely backwards.

It's not an RE game no matter how you look at it, doesn't matter anyway since if you're retarded enough to think a spin-off can ruin a franchise then RE was ruined ever since survivor got released.

I bet you think 3rd birthday is a PE game too you fucking faggot

Is Metal Gear Rising a terrible game that ruined the MGS franchise because it's so over the top and silly with dumb writing?

spinoffs don't ruin franchises as long as mainline games are still being made.

Well, following your incredible logic, RE 4 to RE6 aren't part of the franchise either because they don't have the same gameplay of RE1 to RE3.

God fucking dammit i can't believe there are faggots defending Umbrella Corps here.

Never defended it, just pointed the idiocy of thinking it ruined RE despite being pretty much unrelated in every aspect

For one they are called RE and are part of the main series, and they also aren't as different as you seem to think unlike UC.

The entire RTS genre.

this is sadly accurate. People here shit on ASSFAGGOTS all the time but Dota was actually very fun to casually play with friends before the "muh balance" fags got Valve/Icefrog to make the game significantly less crazy in favor of making sure each side is always on even footing (mainly referring to the gold rubberband comeback system)

I'm not talking about ASSFAGGOTS. Yes, they are shit and cancer to video games, obviously, but the esports MLG pro cancer that killed the genre came from shit like starclick.

It flipped the concept of Street Fighter, got rid of character archetypes all together and turned it into a massive guessing game. It added anything of little value and exacerbated all of SF3's problems.

Yeah I know what you meant, I meant that dota clones also suffered the same fate as actual RTS games.

I agree to some extent but I think the trade offs are worth it because it allows for insane comebacks. It makes the average game worse but I don't play for the average game, I play for that 1/100 game that makes you go bonkers at the end of it.

I honestly blame the Koreans for making it so damn popular

The koreans are the trash of asia.

are you playing SF3 at high levels or something?

I wouldn't say high levels since my reaction time is pretty mediocre but decent enough to the point where crazy parry comebacks are possible.

you're talking about evo 2004 right?

this. and any game that tries to "become esports" artificially never succeeds.

false, they were esports before it was popular, just naturally competitive scenes.

ASSFAGGOTS partly killed RTS games, but RTS games mostly killed themselves by devolving in to Starcraft clones, just like FPS and CoD, MMO and WoW. chase-the-money kills genres. the RTS that didn't starcraft clone went in shit gimmick directions, another path of creative bankruptcy.

you fuckin bet

It's because they wanted to make Street Fighter II version 2.

SFIII wasn't a financial success so they banked on SFII nostalgia and it worked.

Are you talking about the Streak ending bonus?

Wait, I'm confused. SFV has parrying.

All RTS and FPS multiplayer

I always thought that the problem was more on the design philosophy than just because of esports. Don't get me wrong, I don't like esports either, especially this meme of turning every fucking game into one.

In saying that, what I mean by saying that the problem is on the design, I mean that a game that organically becomes an esport is way better than a game that goes out of its way to become one. Take the original Starcraft for example, it became an esport but it wasn't like the game was made to be one to begin with, it was something that happened by way of its own mechanics and design. You can become really good at it, but the average joe can still play it and have fun with it since all the mechanics and strategies are available to both the "pro" and a more regular player. The same can be said about games like quake or CS.

When you make a good game, it remains a good game, if it becomes an esport because of that, I suppose it can be one so long as the rest of what makes that game good stays untouched. This doesn't hold true in the case of games that are design specifically to be esports since they have to be constantly checked and balanced, it has to foster a specific mentality and it has to create a specific identity. It needs to have presence and compete with other games of similar ilk and probably similar design philosophies, so the end result isn't a good game, rather a tryhard attempt to be one that almost invariably falls flat on its face.

But that's just my le opinion, tho.

RTS singleplayer too. There hasn't been a good RTS game full stop since Forged Alliance came out.

I like how you guys have no idea of what you're talking about

Speaking of esports, how's LoL doing these days? I don't really hear the normalshits rave about it like they used to, but it's still always the top game on twitch during the rare occasion I pay the site a visit. It's never going to fucking die, is it?

How is it P2W now? Something to do with runes?

I check their website at least once a week. I've followed it over 5 years now.

Post YFW esports will never be taken as seriously as real sports or become a business the calibre of computer games

Saved this great post from a thread a while ago.

That gold rubber band shit is cause icefraud is actually retarded and doesn't know how to balance. Also it's been severely toned down for awhile.

Game was alright in season 2, then the "esports xd" scene exploded and the game lost what little value it had.

Despite Overwatch stealing 30% of it's userbase in Korea, Riot doing mind bogglingly stupid shit to it's own community, and the boring stale competitive meta, the game is still fucking alive.

10-20 years. Or until Riot kills it themselves

To what I recall LoL has absolutely tanked in its playerbase for some reason or another, I think they removed some shit that lots of people used and both interest and players plummeted.

Streak ending is fine and has been there forever. If you haven't played in awhile in an update about a year ago they added a system that made it so when your team has a gold advantage, the enemy makes more gold whenever they kill you. This doesn't sound so bad on paper but it is exaggerated enough to the point where one bad fight when you're really far ahead will completely even the playing field, as will a couple even trades. Getting an early game advantage doesn't really mean much anymore and while its nice that there are less total stomps it just makes comebacks feel cheap and meaningless and doesn't discourage poor play for the first half of the game as much as it should.

Only on a couple certain moves from my understanding, which is very different from how it worked in SF3 where everyone could parry just by pressing forward at the right time.

I don't like esports but real sports are far worse than some esports. There's far more interesting tactics going on in your average fighting game match than there is in MMA or Dota than there is in something like baseball or football. Straight up physical challenges I have no problem with, but I also don't find them entertaining either (stuff like endurance races).

I think that icefraud is far better than the vast majority of designers out there but clearly he has problems with going to far on stuff like this.

It's the lack of variety, the exclusivity, and the lack of good names. I'm not a good example as a sports fanatic, but I'm sure most of the folks I work with know at least couple of names in local pro sports.

These leagues have refused to develop players that are likable and have a horse-blinders focus on games that are either no fun to watch like first-person action games or require too much pre-reading just to make out what's happening on screen. There's no style, no surprises.

The reason football and baseball are easier to watch than DOTA is because it's easier to explain the objectives and rules. Can DOTA easily be explained to someone with no concept of computer games in the same way football can for someone with no concept of sport?

I'd argue that the latter point is true, you can explain the general "idea" of a dota match to someone who has no understanding of dota the same way you can football to those who know nothing of it either.
football

Both games are normalfag trash.

and nowhere did I say that they weren't.

For normalfag trash, it makes a great computer game.

No it doesn't.

Dota

and boom you can generally follow what's going on in any game now.

football

I wouldn't say one is significantly more complicated than the other to follow. You don't have to know the game super well to understand that when a hero shoots out a big fire thing at an enemy, it is bad for that enemy.
You don't have to know football super well to know that when a dude throws the football really far, he does it so a teammate can catch it and take it further.

RIP

This game was dead long before that.

It does, but your lack of any reasoning leads me to believe you had a tough experience with one of the games I posted.

That wasn't the best explanation of football, but it's a moot point because football is the most complicated of the five major pro sports out there and thus not a good example. Even as complicated as it is, it's still more entertaining to watch because there's less information on the screen and less that you need to learn to understand what's going on.

I don't recall TF2 having much of an e-sports scene.

Why is this whole e"""sports""" even a thing? I wish it would just die off so we can go back to fun well made multiplayer games.

Funny, coming from the jackass who just said "X is good" because you think so and gave no reasoning yourself.

I said NFL Blitz and Tecmo Super Bowl are good games for being such normalfag trash. They're more focused on being games than simulators, but both give you the excitement of being the team captain and I think that's higher on the totem pole than realism.

I wonder what issues you have with these games. I'm sure they're compelling.

Baseball is far more complicated IMO, and why is having less information on the screen a good thing? You can just stare at the center and fully understand what's going on anyways, you don't have to give a shit about every hero's abilities, cooldowns, items, or whatever just as you don't have to care about every football player's stats.

The increased amount of information just makes it more interesting to people who know how it all works.

What is Mike eating in that picture?

So still shit, just a lighter shade of brown. Didn't follow you at first but I get it now.

Deep fried jew wings with his 1488 secret herbs and spices.

actually a better example instead of "football player's stats" would be their current momentum, weight, heart rate, acceleration, etc.

damn I need to go grab some KFC and pig out

They don't have individual player stats on screen at all times. Even if the clutter I see with every DOTA screenshot is vital information, it's still clutter and adds to that idea that MOBAs make poor sports programming.

A chicken thigh.

Yeah, you haven't played or seen any of them, have you?

Why the fuck would I play normalfag garbage? I don't have to play depression quest to know it's shit. I don't have to taste dog shit to know it tastes bad.

I know you irrationally hate football, but that's a bit of a stretch.

Maybe you don't belong here.

It doesn't but Valve keeps trying to make it have one through displaying current Twitch TF2 streamers on the main page (one of the most aggravating features possible to anybody who wants to play the fucking game themselves and which was the first thing removed in custom HUDs afterwards) and the current failure that is matchmaking.

I can enjoy NFL Blitz or any other computer game out there, what does that have to do with tolerating normalfaggotry?

Next you're gonna tell me NBA Jam is shit is normalfag trash. NFL Blitz is the same thing applied to football.

do you get triggered from people enjoying things you don't user?
that's pretty autistic.

I think you can figure that one out yourself.

You may not know it, you may even believe otherwise, but you are a normalfag. Facebook is where you belong.

>>>/r9k/

>>>/wizardchan/

What?

Drinking, watching TV, and playing computer games are also normalfag interests, so I hope you're a teetotaler with nary a TV screen or games console/game program in sight.

Bet you are still a virgin, nerd.

You listed a few yourself.

Alcohol is for faggot normalfags, yes
ISHYGDDT
The one activity normalfags co-opted from where they did not belong.

holy shit are you genuine?

You mean abbreviations, like PS3 or SNES?

They took the bait, Mr. Tryhard Parody-of-a-Chan-User, you can stop now.

Profit ahead of the desire to create something amazing and fun, or tell a story, or make some art, sure.

It's the priorities, and you can't tell me that putting the money making aspect ahead of quality in a variety of areas (and the two rarely overlap anymore) makes better games. All you can hope for is something like GGxrd where they build a fan base from it being fun and awesome, as opposed to capcom who already control the market with advertising and hype and have no need to release anything other than a lackluster product.

E sports is directly linked with marketing and hype, and it's miles away from fostering a passionate community since it's focus is on getting people to watch others, buy merch, and buy the latest release of the most 'professional' and 'popular' games.

Are we being raided by reddit? There has been an obscene amount of normalfags posting and normalfag defending lately.

We should rename this website 8gag now, by the posters and quality on it.

it's ok user, you get a 7.5/10, I commend you for going for the long game.

The MYM update fucking FIXED the game.
I've been playing 5 hours and not once have I met a kid, friendly, or any form of cancer. Its fucking great

Are you baiting me now then or unironically defending normalfags?

not really, dota is free, csgo has been frequently on sale for dirt cheap, and league is free but pay to not grind, and all are 5+ years old
overwatch e"sports" is doa, it'll be a joke like competitive tf2

I'm excited to see community servers come back sheerly by virtue of Quickplay's replacement being unusable. The hotfix to patch up casual matchmaking didn't work for some people (a buddy complained of finding matchmaking servers not marked as such in the server browser along with waiting 40+ minutes for a game where somebody immediately queered the whole thing by abandoning) and the sheer uselessness of the feature's been driving players into the arms of previously-empty community servers.

hopefully we see something besides Skial 24/7 railbait CP_Dustbowl for once

Seriously?
I had issues in the morning but 2 hours later I got back in and it was running just fine.

Albeit, I was playing competitive all day.

Skial and other big server-chains can suck a railroad spike, I've had better games and smarter people from Valve servers. One guy in particular on those servers by the name of Slice or something fucking infuriates me because he won't shut up about muh comp muh meta while rolling a black box soldier and getting his shit stomped in.

Oh, man, Casual matchmaking's a shitshow. It's been so horrendous the entire userbase revolted and Valve pushed out their fastest hotfix ever a couple hours ago.

That sounds like a mess.
Thank god competitive is fine at least

I was referring to fighting games in particular, and yes, those games are used in other ways to make money.

just in case you're not messing with me competitive is every bit as bad off due to using the same matchmaking system, probably even the same machines are used for handling comp and casual matchmaking

I don't even understand how it's possible that normalfags haven't jumped ships yet.
Their whole playerbase since to be playing because they like to be angry or because it's the only game they can play with their friends.
Fucking women also ruin every"muh esports" game since they can stream it and make mad money.

That's not football though.

fuck off Europoor noone cares about soccer

America truly is the cancer of this world.
Just remove everything but Europe and we'd be doing fantastic.
Just keep the japanese in their zoo-island and have superior westerners direct their games so they stop being retarded like Kojimbo.

You mean the new islamic state?

Europe is shit right now, if I wanted to see hijabs and allahus everywhere I go then I'd just go to Egypt because at least it would have sightseeing.

Egyptians are the niggers of the middle east.

t. an egyptian

The chans are frequently on the news now because of the election and r/thedonald is pretty much a Holla Forums spyop to turn reddit to the dark side and chans gets mentioned there in pretty much every thread.
The algorithm of reddit also changed and shows r/4chan every day now.

The chans are frequently on the news now because of the election and r/thedonald is pretty much a Holla Forums psyop to turn reddit to the dark side, chans gets mentioned there in pretty much every thread.
The algorithm of reddit also changed and shows r/4chan every day now.

Have titties ever ruined a game? Don't think so
Boobies: 1
Esports: 0
Esports should be called e-comps, because
a. it sounds gay, which makes sense because competitive gaming is gay
b. because it's not a sport

this guy gets it tbh.

Ah you mean the 6.82 patch comeback gold system?

That has been nerfed a lot since then and even during that time, it didn't have too much of an impact on the likelihood of comebacks.

There's an analysis about it here:

datdota.com/blog/?p=1024

I agree. I think the frog is a good designer so I give him some slack considering he has so many different people complaining about so many aspects of the game.

At the very least, he hasn't removed losing gold on death in Dota 2. That fact alone keeps the scrubs away.

I'm not messing with you, because competitive has actually worked for me. The most it takes me to get into a competitive game is like 5-7 minutes.

You're one of the lucky ones, most people report anywhere between 20 to 40 minute queue times.

Riot might as well be dead since they are fully owned by Tencent.

While on the subject, i'm a br and the media is revving up game news and coverage, including indie game awards, e3 and e-sports. Having watched enough of it i can tell you anons that when the subject is cringe you haven't experienced anything yet and there's only so much a man can take

CS was good before GO even with the e-sports faggotry. CS:GO was just designed around it