TF2 update day #2

Still can't join any servers. Literally any community that still plays TF2 is angry they removed quickplay and they added penalties for leaving casual matches.

People are reporting at least 40 minute wait times to join a match, for a lot of them they can't even get in.

Did anyone here play? You think Valve is gonna go back on their decisions? This is a pretty big shitstorm

Other urls found in this thread:

teamfortress.com/index.php
steamcommunity.com/groups/VMBA/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

PHONE NUMBER OR $9.99
OTHERWISE YOU CANT PLAY
COMPETITIVE

Well you could also not play competitive. It's gonna be full of esports shitters

What in gods name did anyone have against a "walk in and out of games at your leisure" approach? It's always been the best way of doing things.

That doesn't necessitate having an autobalance, I've been playing shooters for decades which never had autobalance.

Nobody did. But for some reason they thought it would be a good idea to remove it completely

This could either be a very good thing or a very bad thing.

You better be kidding.

If there is one thing I have observed from games like Left 4 Dead and assfaggots it's that forcing people to play games they are losing is the best way to breed an incredibly hostile community.

Good point. What I don't understand is why can't wuickplay and casual play co-exist? Is this an attempt to cash in on e-sports?

They gave the Scout the ability to poof people if using the Shortstop. The viewmodel minmode is kinda cool, though.

Wait.

When I'm stuck with a bad team and need to shit, I can't log out?

Combine that with "vote to extend matches" for extra anger.

Nothing like being stuck playing CTF for THREE HOURS.

Nope, you'll need to keep that log in you for awhile.

Meanwhile, Demoman and Soldier will get new guns and cosmetics.

I don't know if it was my suggestions or not, but I'd like to believe it was and that makes me giddy inside.

Yeah tough choice on which needs more love.

They're going to update both eventually, it's not going to be JUST heavy or JUST pyro getting the update. Just deciding which one gets it first.

They're probably going to do classic TF2-style updates where they just focus on single classes at a time.

It's kind of a no-brainer that Pyro really needs an update since his flamethrower doesn't even do shit to spies anymore.

He's more effective pushing people off ledges and using his shotgun than actually setting people on fire.

wat

Spy has damage reduction while cloaked. Since he now moves at medic speed, it's easier than ever to escape while on fire.

I'd like Heavy to get some new toys to mess around with. It'll take more than just a class update to fix the Pyro.

Spycicle + Dead Ringer = fuck Pyro

DR lets a spy just hold W and 100% ignore pyros.

I thought this update would be cool, but all I'm hearing is that it fucking sucks, at least for casual play. Fucking Valve.

Fucking Valve.

Yay I love it when Blizzard ruins everything good about every genre they try and get into.

Blizzard popularized some annoyingly shit ideas to the genre, but it's not their fault Valve thought it was a good idea to copy those retarded ideas.

Daily Reminder that Heavy>Pyro.

It only sucks if you actually liked the godawful quickplay option that used to be there. Hopefully valve serves running their own thing will help make community servers good again.

It's like I told someone else earlier in the day in that I can see one of two things happening: Valve leaves it as is and a resurgence of decent to good community servers starts happening, or two they cave to all of the bitching and bring back quickplay in fear of losing potential money from people "dropping the game". I expect the latter to happen, however.

In other words more broken shit to fuck the balance with.

Heavy is an incredibly risky class to implement weapons for, I think he actually holds the record for broken weapons that needed patching.

Nothing new here.

Are the servers fixed yet

Well, at least the community servers work if you want quickplay.

No. Took 20 minutes to get a game and I lost two ubers to massive lagspikes.

They won't change it back. The update altered too much and Valve is incompetent. On top of that, Dota 2 and CS:GO have done well milking the compfags, so they assume TF2 will as well.

This entire post is wrong. Heavy's weapons are balanced. The only weapons I could see being broken for Heavy are the Holiday Punch having basically no downsides and the sandvich healing full health instead of half.
Nothing new either.

That's right, they assume.

I said needed, as in shit that was broken on implementation and Valve consequently had to fuck with.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT?

THIS GAME RUNS PERFECTLY ON MY COZY LITTLE TOASTER DESKTOP WITH DIRECT X 8 ENABLED

I HAVE TO SACRIFICE PERFORMANCE FOR NO MOTHERFUCKING REASON

THERES NO EXCUSE FOR THIS SHIT

dude are you forreal

Kinda reminds me of when they removed support for DX7 way back.

What's the use of pushing people with the Shortstop anyways?
Can it be used to confuse enemies or push them off towers?

's cool

I hope you can also extinguish enemies with the Spycicle one day.

Didn't NVidia and Valve have some kind of partnership deal?

WHAT A FUCKING BUNCH OF TRASH
I CANT PLAY THE SERVERS FOR LEAVING A MATCH I DIDNT LIKE
FUCK YOU, FAT KIKE

When streamers stream tf2 running on dx8 people will watch and think, man that game is shit. So they made the requirement.

Team Fortress 2 is unoptimized as fuck. I got an HD5450, 8GB of RAM and a dual core Pentium. This thing is mostly a GNU/Linux desktop. AMD is the jews and won:t support the newest Linux kernel so I can:t run TF2 on Slackware 14.2.

I mean, the only reason I stopped using Win 2K is the fact they removed Steam support so I couldnt play TFC anymore.

But TF2 is one of those games that looks exactly the same on lowest settings as it does on highest settings.

I guess you could use it like a lesser poof to disorient or even knock people out of position/off maps. Though if you want that I think the FaN does it better.

I checked this out after reading the "decay over time" note since I loved picking up ubers. That decay is pretty fast, goes 100% to 0 in less that 4 seconds.

Why not play Overwatch instead?

At least that cosmetic knife became a real weapon reskin

Its fucking retarded. I dont think I will be touching this hot fucking piece of shit in a while, might as well play NMROH or Dirty Bomb.

Can you sell the fucking penguin yet? It's been YEARS FUCK YOU VALVE

makes sense since dx7 is ancient as fuck

Tell me how.

The game launched supporting it, why take it away if you:re not going to add anything tha actually takes advantage of it?

The only difference I noticed between DX8 and DX9 on my toaster is that the Jarate effect doesn't show up, and I have to use colorblind mode just to see it. Other than that, no difference.

40 minutes for this bullshit? I might as well just go back to Randomizer.

Is valve ever going to debloat the game?

It sports 19GB now.

NO ONE EVEN USES THAT THING WHAT THE FUCK VALVE PRIORITIES

I was under the assumption they were going to add all the shit since launch to the game's core files rather than being treated as something of an add-on so things would load buttery-smooth and we'd get a drastic performance increase. People wouldn't stop fucking blathering about all these PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS GUYS GET HYPE FOR THE UPDATE and then we get piddly for actual performance increases and Matchmaking is still under the bumblefuck impression that people who aren't streamers want their game to be on max settings at all times.

So no Valve's probably not ever going to debloat the game, either because they don't have the manpower to or because they don't care enough to.

I FOUND THE OLD SERVER BROWSER
HOORAY!

Was panicking since somebody was too stupid in the last thread to find it, glad somebody found it.

For future reference the server browser is still alive and well under "Community Servers"

But the community servers suck dick and have horrible map rotations

The fuck? No you have to click the request a coach button.

No you don't.

That's weird because that button opens quickplay for me and clicking request a coach brings up the server browser.

I use it all the time to fuck with medics and harass people.

Fucking nice.

that's true, but it's really not as if it needed a nerf at all

also, teleporters to 50 is huuuuge. Pretty nice, indeed. some stuff makes sense…others is just as if they hit RNG and blaanced upon that

Holy shit, Pass Time is fun. Has no one else tried it?

I enjoyed it somewhat during it's beta phase. Sort of like Bombing Run, but not quite as good.

So, like MvM all over again.

Last time I played it was also useless vs scouts, that is, the scout can jump around and touch your stream and still not catch on fire.

Also, shit netcode is still shit.

Hahaha, fuck this game.

t. platinum badge

Esports was a mistake. It's nothing but trash.

wew

Did hackers get dumber again?
This is like that one time I saw an Aimbotting huntsman sniper and kept getting reflect headshots on him.

Would that make medics healing him go just as fast?

Most hackers on TF2 are just fucking retarded like you wouldn't believe.

They've always been bottom of the barrel retarded, every one I've encountered has managed to lose despite aimbotting or was a le ebin trol xD who starts a vote to kick against the person that voted against them in the first place.

Not even in my wildest dreams could I dream up such retardation.

So is TF2 worth picking up again? I finally managed to uninstall the game, but now I feel like I'm being pulled back in.

this ISNT EVEN A PUN

why did this happen as soon as I was really getting into this game

He gives me the key and says good job, I sell it on the market and use the extra cash I had to buy Cloudbuilt
feelsgoodman

and fuck anything to do with that game.

Fuck, is UT2k4 going to stand the test of time for ANOTHER 10 years?

not even a single paragraph after that they say they will both get it

also heavy is winning by a landslide jesus christ

What? Where?

log-in log in a log is a turd

Actual update page words it as only one class is getting an update pack, front page of the teamfortrses.com website clears it up that War just decides who's going to get an update pack first but they both will eventually.

Christ, what's wrong with me.

Why did i even bother reinstalling this fucking piece of shit

One minor thing I've noticed is the logo for TF2 on my Windows 7 computer is now the logo for Half Life. This is even more perplexing considering I don't have any HL games on Steam.

The process has been always called hl2.exe though

Don't forget, competitive is $10 only for the initial week, and the default price after is $20

What the fuck is this bullshit, everything is so laggy.
I exited the game and it fucked with my aspect ratio.

Pass Time is actually pretty decent. I'm loving it.
The wait times for matchmaking, however…

My internet is absolute dogshit. Sometimes ping skyrockets for no apparent reason and I have to restart the router to fix that. With this shit in place, am I supposed to stagger around with ping of 300 until some merciful soul decides to kick me?
Why am I still playing this piece of shit?
What am I doing with my life?

A couple hours ago I queued up for competitive, thought itd be a while so I went downstairs to get snacks. Came back, it was loaded and we were in the match. Like, four minutes total.

It's a total crapshoot. I'm still mad they reused the MVM matchmaking that was always dogshit.

Quickplay can rot in hell, all but one of the old community servers I liked died off because of it. Now all we've got left is gimmick, mod, trade, and idle bullshit. Give it time and we might get worthwhile servers back that aren't full of children choking on their own meme drool.

Then help Team Heavy then.

I've not seen any change in performance, maybe it's your PC.

You're playing because it started out fun and has you hooked. We all are.

That's just not true

Heavies got one viable playstyle and one joke playstyle. Let him have this. Pyro has horseshit for days already.

Heavies got one viable playstyle and one joke playstyle. Let him have this. Pyro has horseshit for days already.

Do you have a single source to back that up?

Check the Mann Co Store

If i only had a more entertaining and fun single player PC game i wouldn't keep trying to play this poorly designed piece of shit.

are you fucking serious

why are you banned?

I think it banned me for trying to reconnect too many times.

Get an used Nvidia card and it will run just fine on Loonix.

Underrated post.

Come to think of it, does the waiting lobby in TF2 even have music? I've been -novid -nomusic for a long time.

nope, it's completely soundless

This. Quicklplay for casual only, and for the autism mode you can have all the restrictions.

Sure, yeah, let's fuck the engineer over even more and take away the little things that makes him fun to play.

rest in piss valve pubs

i'm going back to 2007 i can't deal with this shit anymore

anyone want to play tf2c?

At least TF2C is open-source, so we could fix it if we wanted to.

I desperately want to see someone step up to plate on that but nobody's even bothered that I can recall. Open-source doesn't make much difference if nobody does anything with it.

Well, you can always do it yourself. It's not as hard as it seems.

WHY DO PEOPLE THINK THIS IS A GOOD IDEA?

MUH COMP, MUH ESPORTS

esports are why matchmaking also slams your settings up to maximum, so it looks purdy for all the kiddies watching your streams even though TF2 barely looks any different at normal minimum settings and normal maximum settings

Maybe if I get some programming knowledge into my head but I'd need to do that first before I even approached TF2C.

It was a cool idea for an addition, like I'm not going to fucking complain if someone adds useful things that diversify the gameplay.
But removing the normal quickplay for this is just retarded

How was quickplay even a good idea to start with? None of these things are good ideas.

TF2 on the N64

I dunno, I like it so far, everyone knows it's casual but people are actually trying to play the objective rather than just dicking around with taunts. Plus you can still always play on servers the old way.

Agreed, they should have a normal quickplay section, and a casual matchmaking section.
I would also love if they had put arena mode in the quickplay menu or even arena matchmaking, but I have asked for this for years and it has never happened and never will happen.

The server browser still worked even after they put that garbage in, you know.

tf2 has been valve's "fuck with the player" experiment chamber for a long time. The players are like rats in a lab, except they can choose to stop any time, but they keep going back to be fucked with and experimented on. It's weird. PC gamers are an anomaly.

tf2 never supported dx7. orange box engine was the first time they had dx8 and up as the only options.

It's so everyone has the same particles, foliage, shadows, etc you dumb nigger. What the fuck is this it's for streamers shit you're fucking making up?

Why would I play on some shitty community server with bad map rotation?

Quickplay was fucking great

Most hackers are dumb kids who know they're bad and are insecure about it.

TF2 hackers are even dumber, because so much of the game relies on mobility and projectiles. Hitscan and wallhacks only go so far in a game like that.

What is with this matchmaking is bad meme?

So I decided to try out the matchmaking, first game of casual there was an aimbotting sniper.
How common is this shit?

PC games dont need matchmaking as TF2 already has a server browser, plus other programs can do that should it not work.

Why are so many companies insistent on nuking their games with retarded changes nobody wanted.

KF2, Natural Selection 2, Red Orchestra 2, now this.

What the fuck is happening

That's dumb nigga.

The server browser doesn't offer anywhere near a similar experience as matchmaking, and third party programs are often sketchy as fuck.

TWI are retarded devs who fell for the competitive scene fad.

cant wait for RS Vietnam or whatever it is to fail.

What the fuck? Just use the server browser and find an actually populated server instead of pressing "quick play" and being put into an empty valve server.

You're right, it offers a better one. Matchmaking is used by only the braindead or lazy. This is what kills off communities, community content, and the servers.

Good riddance. Hope you enjoyed your Minecraft maps and beta test maps

They fell for the "fuck everything people find fun in our game" fad, like jesus christ is KF2 a disaster right now, never mind the SJW shit.

Server browsers and more specifically dedicated servers are superior to matchmaking.

What matchmaking does is it shifts the entire concept of the game having a dedicated "community" to being mostly non-existent. There are exceptions to this but it typically becomes you play a game with friends you already know rather than you join a server with a community that you regularly play with.

I remember playing games like Counter Strike with the game people on similar custom maps on the same server, and we'd do this regularly. By comparison with matchmaking you typically play the game with your friends for a while and then drop it when the next big thing comes out.

All matchmaking does is it makes jumping into a game slightly more convenient. By slightly I mean 3-4 clicks turns into 1. But it turns the longevity of the game into just a few months unless the devs regularly update it.

Enjoy playing Dustbowl all day with mouth-breathing children.

Counter-Strike is a perfect example of matchmaking being shit, too seeing as how it was always known for having tons of communities and endless amounts of custom content. Then, bam, GO comes out and new community content comes to a halt (besides monetized weapon skins, I guess), there are almost no community servers, and the only people who play suck Valve/eSports cock.

You only have two real options left. Play comp 5v5 with random people (against a team of random people) on maps you've played for the past 17 years, or jump into the casual modes and turn your brain off in garbage servers with garbage rulesets, with chinese knockoff-tier versions of Gungame and your standard de_ mode. It's horrible.

Nigger the map rotation is huge

It certainly does not you flaming faggot. Wading through a sea of shit servers with shit admins and cancerous mods is trash compared to being put right into a server with two full teams and a game that is just starting.
I bet my fucking left nut before this you were shitting on TF2 for it's f2p community too, but now there's no more trade faggots, afk's filling up servers, conga line retards, and a wall to keep out cheaters and f2ps.

I have no idea whats going on.

I PAID for this game on release with the Orange Box. Do I still have to pay to access these features?

What I'm failing to understand is why Valve think timeouts for leaving matches will do anything. This isn't CS, did you forget you made the game free to play? There are an unlimited number of people who haven't invested anything whatsoever, who play once a month or even just once ever. Everything I've seen so far points to it fucking matches up even harder than before.

CS and ASSFAGGOTS are testements to how wrong that statement is, and an actual console example of that is Halo 3 considering how huge the custom games community was for that as well and it never had servers let alone a browser either.

He's talking about small communities within the game's overall community, faggot.

But Halo 3 WAS the big thing for a long time. It was still just with you, your friends, and friends of friends. You couldn't join random custom games. Custom games were also so popular because there were extremely easy-to-use file sharing and map/game mode editing and there was actual emphasis put on using them. CS:GO/ASSFAGGOTS does not encourage you to create new content and share it with your friends.

Matchmaking in FPS, for the most part, ONLY works on console games. It's a simple and restrictive system for a simple and restrictive platform with simple players who are content with this. The whole point of PC gaming is about freedom and user preference. Freedom of hardware, freedom to configure your software, you can host your own servers, you can pick your own rules, make your own content for games, etc.

When you start putting matchmaking as the main focus for PC games, you may as well just own a console.

I used Counter Strike as an example, I should've been more specific and used Counter Strike Source since for like 6 months I played on a server that exclusively had maps made out of glass. Which was amazing to me upon retrospect and something no modern multiplayer game has ever really tapped into for me.

There are numerous other examples I can think of like Jedi Outcast, which almost consumed my life for like years back in the day.

With Halo 3 you had a game people literally bought consoles for, and for a lot of people it was their first video game. It was also the game that sold people on buying Xbox Live and shit. By comparison with later Halo games people steadily abandoned them as the newer games came out. Nobody I know that still plays Halo still plays 3 or Reach.

no tf2 esports was fine until valve started catering to it. this match making mode sounds like pure cancer, just purely from hearing about it in this thread.

go use centre or any other site that sets up games with comp rules. I dunno why players wanted this shit in first place, we all know about how fucking incompetents
valve is these days anyway.

I'm so glad I stopped playing when I did

More or less

it almost felt like the wild west to go server hopping into different servers. Like you'd find a different community there with different people and different attitudes. People would actually talk about shit not related to the game even and you'd be able to just converse with people. I remember I once had a really enlightening conversation about World War 2 with a bunch of people in a Jedi Outcast server I still remember to this day.

Other times you'd join a clan and they'd start shit with other clans and fight each other.

It's because people wanted official Valve support for competitive rulesets.

I can see why Valve did it since they're almost desperate for shit to put in the game that isn't gimmicky.

Any suvahs up?

Competitive MM is so fucking boring because the quality of games are almost never good. Even the worst of pugs back in 1.6 was more enjoyable then a random MM game in CS GO

It bans you just for fucking leaving a match.

Because it doesnt matter you fucking tosser.

I guess it's better than being put in the low priority queue until you play 2 games with shitters in dota
kinda

Did I tell you it does that too?

well fuck my face then

There's a massive and extremely easy to use system for file sharing in the steam workshop, and not only that but official tools that go much more in depth for content creation for games like CS such as the Hammer editor than forge ever did, it still has a server browser- matchmaking never removed it, and it's more popular than Halo 3 ever was. What's those server's excuse?

Sure thing, what's your address?

I doubt that's the case but shoving everything to max so everyone has the same decorations doesn't really make much sense, if you're right then Valve's still fucking retarded because they could rig it to bump individual settings up to the minimum required for certain effects (unless already set higher) rather than throwing the whole switch up for everyone with no say-so.

I say it's to make it pretty for the streamers because why the fuck else would the competitive ranked mode care if you're playing in DX8 or you don't see a particle effect to conserve resources? sv_pure should already take care of anything that could be detrimental on that front that could be used for cheating. Christ, there's already a built-in Streams pane for the game so you can see which hot new Twitch streamers are playing the game instead of playing the game yourself.

Did anyone that has tried their new matchmaking ever get penalized for leaving, even though you were trying to connect to the server? That happened to me every first game of the day during comp mode's beta, and it's the reason why I gave up on it.

mat_picmip 4. -10 is the least compression possible, 4 is the most compression possible.

It compresses all the textures to kingdom fuck and makes TF2 into TF:N64.

If Valve wanted to give me performance improvements, give me a option to disable all non-stock hats and those stupid fucking unusual and australium effects.

teamfortress.com/index.php they know the quick play is fucked up lol

I kind of want to see what all the fuss is about.

Wow, Valve responding to people complaining before 7 days?
This is unprecedented, they must really want their shekels

And a much harder to use. Do you see an option on the main menu for simple map editing? Or a button that says "share file?" Or "Host Custom Game?" With matchmaking systems you cater to the stupid and give them no incentive to get smarter. When you're catering to these people, they won't do anything unless you wave really simple tools in front of their face. Comparing CS:GO to its previous iterations proves this. The second they added matchmaking was the second that all communities and creativity died off. The only time most people playing now have even seen a custom map is either for surf or when Valve does those retarded "operations," and most people didn't bother to play on them more than once or twice.

That's just blatantly untrue.

Post proof or get out.

No.

Valve is fucking retarded, why would you nerf any of the Heavy primaries? All of them but stock are very niche.

Run DX8, you won't see weapon skins whatsoever (besides total model replacements ie the CAPPER), some unusual effects don't work and australium weapons are a bit less obnoxious. -dxlevel 80 in launch options, then remove it after one run so it doesn't keep resettings your graphics configuration to default on every boot.

How does it affect performance? Good or bad?

Titanic performance improvement over DX9 at the cost of the aforementioned graphical effects and the game using a simpler shader. My framerate doubled even on a higher monitor resolution than I was using for default DX9.

According to steamcharts CS:GO has peaks at ~600k over the last 48 hours and an all time peak of ~850k. I can't seem to find any hard data for Halo 3's playercount, but according to random google images charts a year after launch it had a peak of the same, and according to wikipedia in the first 24 hrs it had 1.1 million unique players. So no, my hyperbole isn't supported by hard statistics, but the player count at least matched what it had one year after launch while being a little less than four years old itself.

welp, the update is here.

time to see what else they fucked up.

tf2 on the wii

I keep being told to restart the game to download the latest update but the game never updates when I close it.
I'm verifying game cache

Fucking retarded.

I already had to carry a 9v12 team to a crushing defeat.

hahaha wat ?

Stops hackers at least. Nobody's gonna spend $10 just to hack on Matchmaking. Nor is someone going to take out numerous phone numbers for it either.
Also prevents little kids from flooding competitive.

I've seen hackers that have inventories full of CSGOs just to keep hacking

I wouldn't be so sure about that

I had the same thing until I closed Steam and uninstalled my custom HUD. I have no idea what that had to do with it.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a 100% way of stopping hackers but it does remove the option of just creating alts to hack. Hackers will hack regardless but minimising them is vital to a competitive community

Holy fuck, why are you guys still even playing this? This sounds fucking horrifying

Not really, it's easy to get a burner number with SMS apps on Bluestacks and set up individual Steam Guards for all your alts. It really only deters the absolute laziest of hackers.

its really awful.

i wanted to just see what was different.
i wanted to play a little bit of 2fort, but apparently there is no more option to select this.

I love useless UI things like that

Lets play memewatch

Will be, according to Valve

This is probably the quickest off the mark Valve's ever been for a hotfix to a broken update.

and during the weekend.
this is surreal

overwatch is competition, they gotta step up their game, or lose more players.

Makes sense. Normally it wouldn't, seeing as TF2 is a F2P game now, but a large chunk of people who came back for competitive are older players who actually bought the game. I'm one of them. Anything goes wrong and I'm liable to jump ship again.

Here's hoping the death of quickplay lets decent community servers come back. That's why I stopped in the first place; there was only kindergarten-tier shit left.

The good old days are dead and buried user. People who made those servers work, probably like yourself, gave up and moved on to get away from summershit.

It's like going back to WoW. It's never going to be good again, don't sully your memories.

Are community games usually this cancer?

Not always but unfortunately most of the good TF2 servers died becuase of quickplay but hopefull some of them will come back now that community servers are front and center again.

Why the fuck are people always trying to conflate Quickplay with Community servers going down when this doesn't even make any sense?

Those servers were good (supposedly) because they created their own tight community of frequent players that liked to play together and knew each other, no?
Then how does Quickplay even affect them when the kind of people that resorts to Quickplay in the first place doesn't care about any of those things to begin with?
This sounds a lot like a cabbage merchant complaining how the meat merchant is invading his market and stealing his clients…

I never had need for Quickplay, I opened the server browser and set it to only show servers with no password, not full and with keyword "Valve" to filter out all the "achivement_idle" or "orangebox" servers. Then I sorted them by ping and picked the first with the gametype I wanted and a decent amount of players.

It was that simple and I never needed Quickplay but I never cared about Community Servers to begin with.
Why the fuck would I want to join Skial and similar places? Those are filled with underage tryhards that votekick you for playing the game instead of joining in Team DeathMatch with them.
Why would I want to play Freak Fortress when I have Left4Dead?
Why would I want to join servers that force me to see Ads, have VIP slots, custom sounds that take hours to download, buyer's advantages and other cancerous bullshit?
Why would I want to join another "[MAP] 24 hours, instant respawn" server again?

And furthermore, why would I ever want to be placed in a match where the best player on a team is 200 times better than the worst on that team? Why would I join servers that are 12v12 in theory but in practice it's just 4v4 and everyone else is cannon fodder? Why not have a system that puts good players against good players so they can have fun and bad player with bad players so they can practice and improve?
When the skill between players is too large, one side isn't having fun at all and the other side isn't learning anything at all.

If the community servers lost any popularity they ever had, it's because they are a fucking embarrassment full of the worst shit one can find online and anyone trying them gets tired of all the bullshit they are expected to put up with and just goes back to the default game. For every good idea or server you find there (Randomizer, X10) that's actually fun to fuck around with, you can easily find 5 examples of servers that deserve nothing but DDOS all day long. And even those gamemodes are fun to fuck around a bit but you are never gonna play them as much as the base game anyway.

So tell me again why should the server browser take priority over quickplay? To showcase some of the worst and most cancerous servers on the game just because there's a small minority of actually decent servers that shouldn't even be announced to the masses to begin with?

Can't really answer about much of your post since I wasn't really active in the comunity but
Servers have players. And those players come and go.
For a server to stay alive, it relies on new players entering and sticking around. After some months, the "veterans" might pop in for a visit too, but it's quite frequent for people to play on a server then go play on another.
When you kill the acess to new players, you kill servers. Not overnight, it's a slow process that takes months to be noticeable.
One day you join your server, and there's only 20 players.
Two weeks later, it's 15.
A month later, only 10 guys show up.
2 months later and 3 guys are playing together and decide to give up and close the server.

That's how quickplay killed them if I had to guess anyway.

Quickplay essentially swept community servers under the rug which meant newer players werent joining community servers which meant no new blood which meant the playerbase slowly stagnating and dying out. Even BEFORE it did only Valve servers by default, Quickplay would always simply toss new players into big server farms like Skial or Lotus Clan.

Believe it or not, there was a time when there were more vanilla community servers than gimmick ones. Hell, the REASON why the gimmicky servers outnumber the vanilla ones is becuase all the vanilla ones died out becuase the only reason anyone used the server browser was to find these gimmicky gamemodes while the ones actually dedicated to playing the game got ignored in favor of pubs.

That sounds more like those servers simply couldn't retain players and there's no one to blame but themselves for that. If people don't find your server interesting or appealing, they will leave in search of better ones.

And neither of that even fixed the unequal skills among players leading to the cannon fodder and boring matches.
I'll remind everyone that you go get an higher chance of crits based on damaged dealt and it's lost on death. All those newbies on your team are doing nothing but feeding crit chance to the pros on the other team.

If it makes you feel any better, I have a very nice machine and TF2 still runs like shit on it. Even I'm pissed about the DX9 requirements, forced gibs and ragdolls, etc.

Some of the old community servers are still kicking. They tend to have (relatively) large, tightly knit, very dedicated userbases. And even then, they can only sustain enough interest to keep the server full one or two days a week. It's a far cry from the days of old when such servers were full literally 24/7.

Smaller ones than that, that didn't have very dedicated/autistic userbases, never stood a chance. They would have regulars, of course, but not enough to sustain a server population. They depended on pub players to fill in the gaps, keep things interesting, and occasionally stick around. Without a steady stream of fresh players, they died out very quickly; even if you could get the 4-12 core players of your crew together for a friday night, if you couldn't fill the rest of the server with pubs you might as well just hop onto a Valve server or play another game.

You associate community servers with cancer because catering to cancer was the only way for a community server that didn't already have an established userbase to justify its existence for the past few years.

That said, quickplay isn't the only reason for community server decline. Most of us got into TF2 when we were teenagers or college students, and we've grown up since then. Some got jobs and don't have enough time or energy to spare. But even among the NEETs with infinite free time, TF2 just doesn't excite people the way it used to. The game itself is solid, I don't think I'll ever get completely tired of playing it. But the spark is gone.

and to add to the second point, F2P replaced those older players with squeaking children and third worlders. It's a lot harder to build a worthwhile community out of bricks like those.

I used to use chris' maxframes settings but I upgraded after a few years, now I'm trying to get a friend into comp, and as far as I know most of the old maxframes settings don't work anymore, can someone compile the most important fps saving commands and post them here?
pls
here's some lewd as payment

People actually used the quick play option?

Use chris dx9frames as a start but don't expect the most important parts like disabling gibs and ragdolls to work.

Hear what you want, but if you're the one paying server costs and population dwindles over time, you're less likely to keep it open. Fucking weeabootique is still up, just barely, because people liked it enough, and it's only populated two days a week at best. Many of the unique community servers had to drop their less mainstream settings to remain eligible for quickplay, which made them bland enough to no longer be special, which hurt the population that came there for those settings.

That other bit of your post sounds like a complaint about valve servers.

Are you fucking serious. Is this a joke? Is this some sort of sick fucking joke? I seriously thought they couldn't shit up the game anymore. After all the fucking retarded half-baked and rock paper scissors counters weapons they made it basically turned into Gmod levels of a mess, but this is just fucking retarded. Not even fucking CS:GO has this retarded fucking bullshit.

They're trying to turn tf2 into dota. They're trying to turn what was once a tongue in cheek casual shooter turned super casual gigantic mess into a competitive game cancer.

This just hurts my soul. I am a huge stealth game faggot, and playing the spy was the most fun I've ever had. It was face paced, on your feet thinking, and sneaking around people as opposed to retarded AI. I also fucking loved revolvers his primary weapon. It's the only game I've ever seen that came close to Thief's fast paced but skillful stealth, but it was also multiplayer.

They got rid of that, but I'm not sure it's for the best in combination with "no one joins in the middle of a casual match." People abandon immediately if they start to lose and completely fuck over their team.

I'm glad it's making community servers more attractive. My only worry is that it will make them TOO attractive and they'll go back on this.

It just shows that whoever replaced the TF2 team doesn't know what the fuck they're doing and will continue to do dumb shit for the sake of sheckles.

Motherfucking what?

We are on the same goat, shit stopped working when Gun Mettle happened.

You think tf2 won't survive next year?

Wait, there was a team that got replaced?

What kind of fucked up reality did I manage to stumble into?

rip WDZ clan, it was fun playing 1000 hours of 2fort_night with you.

I just highly doubt it's the original team after all these years. Valve employees get moved around constantly. I specifically TF2 devs went to work on Dota 2 and they're probably working on L4D3 now. People quit. The main writer for HL quit a while ago. A bunch of level designers for the Thief games went to work at valve, then I hear later that the same level designers worked on dishonored (assuming some moved).

Not true, they just broke the slider in the UI. r_fov or whatever it is still works and 90 is still the max

I specifically remember*

It was from an old post on the TF2 forums when I still lurked there.

I remember them. I think they still exist.

That's been apparent for years now. Natascha and Sandman proved that the team doesn't understand how run and gun shooters work while Razorback proved that the team was severely lacking in common sense.

Any idea how reprogramming the weapons and classes works? I had a look through the files and the only thing I figured out was changing some of the values on the .txt files for the weapons.

I'm not entirely sure, to be honest, I'm more of a goldsrc/Xash3D kind of guy, and I'm pretty sure TF2, and now TF2C use itemsgame.txt or something to program for weapons, which is different from every other Source engine game. So even if I was familiar with Source, I couldn't say. I would ask the dev team if I were you, if they're still around, I haven't bothered with TF2C in a while.

Also, you probably know this already, but just in case, you should be looking at the source code, which is on a github page you can find somewhere on the TF2C website.

Matchmaking will always be a mess because of the players and there's no solution to this shit except a community that actually gives a damn and compromises.

You put penalties for leavers, people will complain they can't just leave the game when it's lost or they gotta take a shit.
You don't penalties at all, you get people complaining about 12v3 after 3 minutes of playtime.

You let people join games that already started, you get people complaining about joining games that are about to end and they lose.
You don't let people join mid-game, you get people complaining about leavers not being replaced and their game being lost as soon as a single person leaves. And there's 12 per team.

There's no way to fix any of this except for players to compromise and accepting a bad side of it. Either accept that you shouldn't join a game if you don't have the time for it and you shouldn't leave just because you are losing OR accept that people will leave your game and you'll lose afterwards OR accept that sometimes you're gonna join a game 5 seconds to finish OR accept that there's no backup coming to help you if someone ragequits.

The problem here always comes from a player leaving the match, he's the one that generates it and yet people expect the matchmaking to solve it when the entire purpose of matchmaking is just to pit you against equally skilled oponents. If people are dropping matches just because they are gonna lose, that's the player's fault.

To be honest, I actually loved the mentality of "just gonna drop on this server and do my thing" and it's what kept me interested in the game.
However Valve wants to compete directly with Overwatch here and do a very similar system but not only they don't know how to do it, their players simply don't want it either. TF2 will never be anything different than what it always was because of this. And it will always have unbalanced teams full of scrubs and pros on the same team and there's never gonna be any change because half the community plays just to trade hats and the other half plays to pubstomp only and neither ever cared about competition.

Everyone complains about the balanced of weapons but if there's one thing that's seriously unbalanced in every single game, it's the skill range in every match.
It's either pubstomp or spawncamp, nothing in between.

I've taken a look in items_game.txt, definitely some more useful information in there but nothing that appears to let me completely re-program weapons.

Has anyone ever complained about that? I mean you wouldn't even feel like you've lost since you had little if any involvement in the game. It's easily a lesser evil.

Well, what exactly do you want to modify about the weapons? If you give me an idea of what you want, I can probably give you some advice.

Well one thing I would like to try is giving sticky bombs a delay timer for detonation. Have it so that right-clicking cause them to beep and flash a couple of time before they explode.

There was a sticky bomb delay patch a while ago and then they reverted it.

Why does MvM attract retards?

why.jpg

It's a bug, restart TF2 and it goes

Is Valve ever going to do anything besides sit on their fat asses and rake in marketplace money?
Have they given you any indication in the last several years that they intend to do jack shit ever again?

I don't think I refunded any games faster, outside of Elite Dangerous.

Everyone good already played their fill back when Two Cities came out, so it's only people who just installed the game trying it out.

More people will play when they release new maps, which is currently scheduled for NEVER EVER.

I just want to play MvM without having to pay to remove retards. Why can't they just select normal rather than Expert or Nightmare? I get the feeling these people are bots designed for making me angry enough to buy the Mann Up mode tickets just to never see them again.
C-Could we start a group for people who want to play MvM without the retards? Back when Alphablaster spilled the spaghetti hard

Can you explain what did you find appealing in it? Because as someone who loved TF2 around the time it came out and a bit after that I'm curious. What in the name of fuck is good in this bloated buttfucked game anymore?

What happened?

pubs constantly had a very laid back feel to it, allowing for more random mario kart like fun.
besides that it due to the amount of f2ps, it was very easy to join a pub and just crush the entire server

doing this gets boring real fast and the lack of teamwork in nutf2 is quite sad

I'd be fine with this.

i'd be up for playing some mvm sense i got some time to kill

"You got your brit WW2 helmet for it. The rest is all new features. Go fuck yourselves." -TF2 devs

if you got a premium account all you need is the mobile auth to play the new features

Pyro is merely a deathmatch class now, and if it wins it's probably going to get a Phlog 3.0

Heavy could use less shitty melee weapons and more heavy weapons than miniguns.

they were always shit, but at least there was hope back then

despite all that people are still voting pyro

Mann Up mode doesn't make it any better.

here, now call me a faggot erp gayposter like Alpha and we're set.

How are we going about this then?
Want me to make a group, invite you guys and we can all queue together whenever?
I'm also shit at names so help pls

Oh lord, all I just wanna do is play MvM and not deal with retards. It's the few gamemodes where I have a decent amount of fun working as a team.

nvm we got something
And don't worry, you'll never be as bad as Alpha

you're fucking promoted

People get so mad about the 0-tour pyros and spies shittering around that they're pretty kick-happy for anyone who breaks the meta, but even spy can work with a good player.

Cheers.
We just need others to join now

You know why I have 0 tours?
Because theae retarded fags keep kicking me when they fuck up.

This isn't a game anymore.

half my comp victories are me playing a substantial role and the other half are my team steamrolling before I can even get a point.
I've lost like twice and both have been fun balanced matches.

this happens more often then it should

heh, good thing I made good use of that recent steam sale; now I'm not stuck playing two games recently sent to crap by retarded updates.
It's still sad, thought.

The updates may have been less frequent, but they were nearly just as bad in how hilariously broken they were or how badly they missed the point of the class.

joined.

We gonna play tonight or what?

really thought, im uninformed on spies in mvm, what makes them work?

We got enough people, everyone who's in the group get on and I'll put us into a queue

Their Sapper paralyses robots in a fairly large area around the initial sap. His backstab is also decent at killing some of the larger bots since it deals ridiculous damage from behind.
The trick is avoiding being shot, which means the rest of the team providing distractions and the like.
Also against the Robogineer teleporter and stuff.

I have no idea what I'm doing with this group. If you're online jump into the chat and I'll try to sort something out

we're about to start up a game of MVM

DIBSONSCOOT

joined, how do I play with you guys?

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGERRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I think they might be backpedaling on quickplay, sadly.

Play with friends.

What happened to alpha's mvm sever?

The YER is goat in mvm, The initial stab is near impossible and you lose your guise every time you buy upgrades but man, once you get a disguise, supossing you can avoid pyros and missing stabs, it becomes a field of roses.

Alpha is a faggot

The sky is blue and the cow goes moo. Anything else?

Consider joining our group for MvM

Alpha could be in this very thread! He could be you! He could be me! He could even b–

See! Alpha!
No wait, that's user.

do the comp medals do anything?

in competitive, the rank helps you match with other people of your skill level
in casual, it's cosmetic only

no, not the rank, the medals awarded at the end of every match

I prefer the rank 2 logo to the rank 3, I mean a bat with nails is much more hardcore than a knife.

What's comp mode like? Are the low ranks actually competitive or just slightly less retarded than normal?

Spy makes Manhattan a joke but every time I was told "WE DONT NEED A SPY"

I've had my share of fun and in fact it's really superior, but you should still expect the odd afk or quitter, and the rarer team of braindead faggots.
personally I consider myself quite good and I've been carried more than I've had to carry the team.

they're generally averages for your preformance per match, doing better resutls in gold, etc
just cosmetic to make you feel good about how you did in the match

I actually didn't know that. Now that's a good reason to run spy.

Normally you'd have to coax the demoman to put his stickies on the top entrance to get rid of those guys.

oh well that's ok I guess, I thought the game had some mechanic so that you wouldn't be as severely punished for losing if you were still the best of the team.

Normal matches are pretty good. Less retards and people arent as clueless as before.

Yeah thats the stupidest shit. Basically you HAVE to win to get a better rank, to win you HAVE to have a good team, to get a good team you HAVE to have a good rank. This is fine as long as you are either good enough to carry the team or have a bunch of buddies to play with. However, if you are somewhere in the middle where you are decent at the game but still need your teammates supporting you and you dont have friends to comp with, you'll be stuck at level 1, getting matched with teams that have 3 spies, a gibus sniper and medic if you are lucky until you get a lucky streak and finally rank up (Provided the servers arent down and actually record your wins)

They should've added calibration matches like in dota. Ranking up from the lowest rank where any kid can just join and score 0 points playing spy or sniper is a fucking pain in the ass

When will this shit be fixed.

Also:
Heavy or Pyro?

Never. Free game, they can just make a new account and that's it. And since you can freely change your display name and almost nobody knows how to get your steam ID, they'll do it as much as they feel like it.

Heavy if you want to help your team take or defend a point. Pyro if you want to have fun at the expense of others or help an Engineer.
Neither because both Demo or Soldier do the same thing but much better anyway.

I believe they're awarded based on how you scored based on the average performance of all players of your rank playing the game, not just the ones in your match. So you could win a game and top score, but still not get any medals because you didn't really do anything special. And likewise, I've seen large numbers of players get gold and silver metals, because they all did pretty well.

They serve no purpose except as another vanity stat.

And that's how I got to Level 4.

I'm having fun when my teammates know how to play the game. Play any of the main 4 comp classes. There's a lot fucked up about this game mode. I didn't have to pay to play or give my number, and I think that might be because I had tf2 from around 2009. They need to fix the abandoning nit counting for exp and they need to ditch the CiS:GOi system of nigh-pure W/L rates determining rank
My main complaint is community servers are still kill. My second complaint is that this is several years too late. And dx8 being disabled is bullshit

Anybody WHO ACTUALLY KNOWS HOW TO PLAY THE GAME want to team with me?

How is it possible that some people are so new? An intelligent player would begin searching for my tele with the first or second death. Why are these people allowed?

sure, add me.
CptDrMoreno