NiGHTS 20th Anniversary

NiGHTs into Dreams had it's 20th anniversary a couple of days ago yet nobody seemed to give a shit. This is criminal, as this game is a legendary classic and one of my favorite games.

Let's have a thread about NiGHTs.

God damn this game turned 20 on the 5th of July just two days ago, so lets have a belated thread for it or whatever. Anyways this game was magical to me, and still is. It always gives me these happy feelings whenever I play it, with its beautiful upbeat soundtrack and amazing atmosphere and look. I don't think anything will be able to top the magic I felt while playing this game. When I'm having a bad day it always seems to put happy tears in my eyes; just kinda feels like it speaks to me, y'know?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/fkEufRFp5Y8?t=4m4s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Here's a more interesting subject.
Has ANYONE played the Wii sequel and was any part of it good enough to be worth all the awful shit?

If anyone wants to actually play the game I recommend the HD rerelease. It has the original saturn release emulated perfectly too so you don't have to bother with that shit.

The wii sequel is actually ok. I don't remember any awful shit but I don't remember much from it in the first place.

I remember a lot of stupid non-flying missions and a lot of stupid missions that didn't follow the original game structure and a lot of terrible writing and I returned it really fast before going any further.

Yeah I knew it was autistic but

vid

youtu.be/fkEufRFp5Y8?t=4m4s

I'm really interested in trying the Wii game out someday. It was the first Wii game I got but I returned it really quickly for like 20 cents from Gamestop. Shit was the biggest rip off ever and I wished I kept it, now that I'm a big fan of the original game.

I've heard it wasn't amazing but I think it'll be a fun time and interesting to experience if I liked the original game so much. Fans of the series seem to appreciate it quite a bit.

maybe nobody gave a shit because the game is technically fucking horrible?

it lasts like 1 hour tops, its just a couple loops of a very short stage, then an easy boss, repeat 6 times.

I actually liked it alot. But that was a really long time ago, i might emulate it sometime in the future.

I got it for my birthday before I'd played any of the other NiGHTs games. It was alright, but maybe that's my nostalgia talking.

Yeah I definitely wanna emulate it, too. I think it'll be fun. I've heard Dolphin got a really nice update so it should run really well.

I was a little kid when I had the original so I didn't know what to do with it. I mostly just flew around the first level until I died, just enjoying the atmosphere as a stupid little kid does. But even I still really enjoyed the Wii game. Had the same feel to it, and it was much more enjoyable to me because I actually knew what I was doing.
The boss battles were interesting, the music was great, I really enjoyed it. It didn't feel like shit at all. Try it out some time, OP.

I need to replay it some time.

It's an arcade score-attack game, cry me a river.
Also, you need at least a C rank on every stage to unlock the final stage. Ensuring players will have to spend at least a LITTLE time learning the scoring system and levels, at least enough to get a C rank.
Then you can go for A rank, or even further.

I'm tempted to play Nights. But I have a feeling not many people played it because it was fucking Saturn exclusive.

it was released on PS2 later, i played it on PS2 myself one day when i was very bored and for some reason was looking for Sega games to download. i think that week i played shadow the edgehog, sanic unleashed, and nights, i completed all 3, all horrible.

It has a pc release.

There's an HD pc version which has a flaw, the fact that NiGHTs can't move in 360 directions and can only move in like, what, was it 24? Kind of shit but whatever.

Don't feed the banterkid. He just wants to shit up the thread.

oh fuck off crybaby, i know it has cult following, but its short, repetitive, and boring. all the properties of a not-good game.

forgot to type my reply on the last post.

what kind of casul can't get a C rank, i got a C rank in every level on my first try all you have to do is collect enough orbs.

pls nigga, im not even telling you not to enjoy it, but at least admit its a guilty pleasure or something, its not good in any way. you might as well enjoy gone homo.

It was Wikipedia's article of the day

posting very good maybe best song

Wait are you serious? Holy shit, that's amazing. I'm sad I missed it, then.

Yeah. I was going to shitpost about it, that's why I remember

I gotta say, this is my favorite song. They've got an adult version too, but the kid one is more fitting to NiGHTS.

Damn that's nice

posting two reactions because i'm feeling two emotions

That's like saying pinball is as bad as gone home.
I know it's funny to rub how young and naive you are in everyone's face, but NiGHTS is a good Saturn game.

I honestly winced the first time I heard it as the singing was a little rough, but now that I listen to it again it's really cute. Thanks for sharing, user.

no

you don't want to derail this thread into argument shit, do yo?

They're probably a baiter, really. Like, honestly. If they really think like that, they've got to be underage. Must hate shit like Bubble Bobble and the original Sonic, too.

I think the shitty singing is what makes it the most sweet. Reminiscent of when elementary schools set up plays. None of the kids actually know how to sing for shit, but it's still so cute.
And that chorus still sounds so great. Something about getting a group of kids singing at once always sounds great.

Could you blame them, OP?
Most people didn't have a Saturn. I know it from fucking experience, fuck.

Anyway, posting best track.

Yeah, exactly, actually. I find it really endearing and sweet and it fits NiGHTs perfectly. It's almost like eating the most sweet thing you've ever eaten and having that feeling of sugar welling up inside of you. It's just so sickly sweet but, I've always been sort of a dude for saccharine, cutesy things. They make me feel really nice and happy, y'know?

That track is so relaxing and beautiful. It captures a special magic perfectly and honestly sort of sets a tone for the game, along with the other tracks. The song has a certain kind of magical, mysticalness to it that just sweeps you away into another world, doesn't it? The voices in the background make it feel like there are friendly people in that world, too, and it honestly just feels so serene and peaceful.

I also adore this song for a very similar reason. It's like if you finally got sucked into that new world and had the time of your life flying around the skies freely and having an amazing party with your new friends, all night long. Or maybe it sounds like an old arcade in a way, too.

Such a great feeling, nonetheless. I adore it.

This interests me, my go to for that is probably Kirby or Chibi-Robo. Still haven't gotten around to playing it and never had a Saturn. Just going to sit back and see what the autism potential is here.

You should check it out. I find Kirby Super Star, Dream Land 3, and Adventure are best for bad days as they capture the fairytale magic of Kirby perfectly. NiGHTs is just on level with those three games, if not better. I'd highly recommend pirating the pc version or buying it if you want. It's cheap and it's on Steam.

It's a really nice experience. If you like Kirby, you'll like NiGHTs. They don't play similarly but they have some similar ideas and vibes.

If they ever make another sequel, which is kind of doubtful, I'd like for them to delve even deeper into dream research. Maybe even have players go through a questionnaire like in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories so that the experience is more unique to the player.

That'd be an incredibly fun way to shape your own dreamworld where you care for theā€¦ Wtf were they called? Dreamlings? Those baby fairy things.

Nightopians?

NiGHTS was one of my first games. I fucking loved it. I waited so long for Journey of Dreams, and it was a disappointment.

I want a new real NiGHTS game. No other game catches the same kind of magic.

The Nights levels are great. They are pretty much on-par with (if not better than) the original. The kid levels fucking suck hard. The voice acting is terrible. The music is OK.

I'd recommend it, really. The parts of the game that are good are really good. I just wish the rest wasn't so fucking watered down.

The HD release doesn't have the Sonic into Dreams mini game.

Anyone else here just flew around the place not knowing what to do?

Nah, I got a hang of things pretty quickly. I sucked at first but eventually I was going through the stages really fast.

Yeah and it sucks. I'm gonna try and play the Saturn version someday whether it's through emulation or hardware.

Just how fucking high were they?

I have no idea. The game was amazing but, in the 90's that shit wasn't going to fly. People wanted someone cool and radical like Sonic, not someone elegant and graceful like NiGHTs. I think NiGHTs would succeed a ton better nowadays; I can imagine that if a game were made for the Wii U and Nintendo Treehouse did a gameplay stream of it, it'd get enough attention for people to want to try it out.

A 3ds release could work as well, or, heck, even a PC game. Not sure about a PC game unless it's multiplat, though.

I want to like NiGHTS. I really do. I just don't understand it. It was supposed to be Sonic? It's short as fuck. Is literally all I do fly through rings on a 2D plane? This was what was supposed to show off their new "3D" console? I mean you play as the kids, but it seems like there's nothing to do as them except walk the five steps forward that it takes to activate NiGHTS. I feel like I must be missing something about this game.

I was so close to buying a Saturn for it on release, because Genesis was my jam, but ended up getting a PS1 after people warned me how the Saturn was getting like no games. So for years to play this game, completely missed the PS2 release that someone here mentioned, but then the HD version comes out, and I grab that shit immediately. And I just don't understand. Is this a case of people who got suckered in to buying a Saturn and have a sad, obscure nostalgia that most people don't know enough about to argue with? I mean the graphics are nice and all, but the gameplay seems so shallow and boring. Granted, I'm not able to get A-Ranks, and this is why I figure I must be missing something, but the game doesn't hook me enough to make me want to practice and find out. As far as I can tell, it's just fly through a track of rings in 2D. The kids are useless, right? There's no platforming to be done with them. I thought I'd use them to raise the Nightopians but I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do with them, other than not kill them by flying around them?

I want to like this game. Please tell me what I'm missing.

You can fuse Nightopians with the Nightmaren enemies to create a special kind of Nightopian. The more Nightopians you have in the level, the "happier" it'll be and the music will change to be more exciting or happy, or if you kill them, the level will have more calm, "sadder" music. The "sad" music just sounds kinda "eh, whatever" in terms of emotions. Not really happy but not really sad either.

There is platforming to be done as the kids. Generally you want to go straight for NiGHTs if you're trying to get good scores, but you can explore the level and look at things because there are some things only the kids can do iirc. Think of it as a pointless bonus thing that can be done for the sake of fun.

The game is a score-attack arcade-style game of sorts and it has a lot of replayability because of that. Try and get the highest scores by collecting a lot of things and getting high links to improve your ranks.

You can do paraloops around enemies and objects to collect/defeat multiples at once, and the l and r triggers are used to do various tricks as you around in the air. It feels good to be as graceful as possible and mix the little moves and dances in with your flight in the game.

You gotta use the boost thing to go fast and remember the levels, and collect a lot of things. When you get the Ideya, a score multiplier activates. If you don't bring it back to the main little thing you normally bring it to and fly over it instead, the level "resets" and all of the collectables and rings respawn again and you can continue to collect them as long as you like. Make sure to bring the Ideya to it before the timer runs out though, because if you don't you'll turn back to a kid and your score and time will be completely destroyed for the most part. It's sort of like a bonus thing where you get to do as many laps as you can do within the time limit to get more links and score and the like.

Another part of the replayability comes from the fact that the games music and atmosphere is so beautiful. For me, I love to boot up the game when I just wanna relax and have a good time as it always cheers me up and puts a smile on my face. The surrealist style is beautiful and the game has a decent variety of environments, and all of the dream worlds, Nightmaren, and even bosses are all related to the subconscious of the current playable childs' subconscious and psyche. The Puffy fight is kind of like trying to get a basketball in a hoop, and struggling to do so, much like Elliot was having nightmares due to the upcoming basketball game he had.

It's a great game and a cult classic, but if you're not one to stick around and enjoy the freeflowing, feel-good gameplay, then it's probably not one for you. It is kind of like Sonic in the fact that the gameplay feels flowy and good, though.