You haven't unlocked a mechanic yet

What games are such blatant cockteases like this, Holla Forums?

Momodora is pretty fun, 2 hours in but I would recommend it.

Lots of early Nintendo games did this, mostly Zelda and Metroid. You can also see some secrets in Maro 3/World that can only be accessed with flying powerups that you may not have.
Good design, really. You see something you can't get and it's in your mind, and makes the item feel more useful and satisfying when you go back.

Every metroidvania ever.

I know of something far worse

Pretty much this. It builds up small goals, so the satisfaction of playing the game becomes greater.
That you should remember to use x in y because who knows what might be there makes you want to progress further so you can come back.

It is very good design, yes. But I'd say it's better design to not overdo it to the point where the player thinks it's going to be massive in that part, or the reward turns out to be really trivial like an ammo capacity boost for that one weapon you never use. That just makes me groan.

I'm quite happy that I can't think of a single game that does this.

in Bunny Must Die you can't even go right until you have a power-up that allows you to do so (parodying Metroid's ball power-up being just to the left of the start)
the best part is it's possible to avoid it as you go left, rendering the game impossible to complete (and yet, some people have glitched their way to victory under those conditions)

Every GOOD one

How to do it wrong:

To do it properly, you tease a few grapple points early on so the player wonders "when do I get that?" or "I need to remember to come back here later!" It feels fantastic when you remember

I'm quite happy that I can't think of a single game that does this.

Bonus:

Except when these things are often some sort of puzzle to begin with and there's no way of knowing whether you don't have the item you need or just can't figure out the "secret"

Here's one that's interesting.

The game is about collecting stones to communicate with the world. Each block makes a different noise which is translated into a word.
For example, one of the first objectives in the game is to ask a giant to please let you pass.

Then in some areas you can hear notes that sound like yours, if you figure out which one a firefly appears, haven't played enough to know what happens when I find all of them.

It makes me wet when this happens. I hate dungeon design where the only useful weapon is the one you get in that dungeon, which falls off all but completely afterwards. But when everything comes together it's better than sex

What game? This sounds so crazy that it has to be good.

Here

It's alright so far, you will spend a lot of time exploring and trying to figure out where to go next. Also, the intro, save for some grammar errors for some reason, is amazing

Conker Bad fur day, I think.

Castlevania
Megaman series

Get over it OP its a staple of the metroidvanias

Thanks brosef

Unless it does shit like metroid prime where they put upgrades in places you'll never backtrack to, and by the time you get the upgrade you will probably have forgotten about it or it's not worth backtracking for 30 minutes one way to get an extra few rockets.

*By the time you have the upgrade that lets you reach it you will have forgotten

I've been seeing you post these 3 screenshots in over 5 different threads now. Are you the developer or what

Nah, these are the only ones I have taken from the internet and I'm just lazy, check the middle one it has some random watermark.

What game?

What are the most movement heavy metroidvanias? Stuff like Ori and The Blind Forest or Strider.

How is this in any way justified?

Chronos Gate

You can't double-rape /you have to unlock your shadow clone) and kick enemies to switch rape positions from the start. You have to unlock that shit.

Probably even the enemy rape mode (not sure, because I can't into moonrunes)

It's not.
Metroid gets around it nicely though.

For Metroid at least it could be explained by the power suit being big. Indeed in Zero Mission when you are out of the suit you can crawl through passages