Where did the meme come from that this is "da best game ever!!1"? I mean holy shit, IGN gave it a 9...

Where did the meme come from that this is "da best game ever!!1"? I mean holy shit, IGN gave it a 9.4/10 when it was released (even though there were many better platform games to play in 2001).

SA2 is much worse than SA1. With sa2, they took out the platforming, the branching pathways, rolling and momentum, etc. and replaced it with "Run along a one-way path suspended over a bottomless pit" and "Dash through scripted loops without any input required from the controller".

Also, angsty dopplegangers, government conspiracies, Weapon X, little girl getting shot, etc. feel like they should be in Hot Topic fanfiction rather than a Sonic game.

sonic was a pain in the ass to control in sa1
the levels were rarely spacious enough to make use of how goddamn fast he went

GOTTA GO FAST in sa2 was more about figuring out what you can skip. Especially the later levels.

I will admit i found it hard to go back to, i 100%'d it on the gamecube back when bush was still president and recently tried to play it again and found the fucking robot shooter levels as well as the boss fights to be insufferable.

The fun was getting A-Ranks.

Stop bitching about the game giving you a few scripted loops. Having a quick 3 second break is a part of pacing.
You're worse than people who bitch about Torture Attacks in Bayonetta.
It's like the roulette wheel in God Hand, or the God-meter.

The only stages I remember being excessive with the straight-lines and scripted loops were Radical Highway, Metal Harbor, and both jungle stages, and they were still fun because of some tricky platforming segments, tricky rails, ramp jumps, but most importantly being that every single Sonic/Shadow stage is designed with fantastic flow and good pacing.

What are you even talking about? The biggest improvement over SA1 is that SA2 actually has branching paths and more platforming. SA1's Action Stages were much more straightforward, and it is the sequel that rewards you for finding secrets and the best ways through the stages.

The loops are the same in both games. Sonic's gameplay is the same overall, really. Just the level design is much better in the sequel.

I mean I can see people having diffferent opinions on the adventure fields and different characters that aren't in SA2, some might miss them, some might think it's better off without them (I did like the Adventure Fields a lot). But the level design is just leaps and bounds above the first game.

This. The game doesn't really begin until you beat the story mode. It's the extra missions and A Ranks that really make the game. It's exploring and mastering the levels. SA1 doesn't really have any of this. There are the extra challenges or ranks or whatever they called them in that game, but it's not nearly as deep, largely due to the levels not giving you as much to look through and master.

double-topic

I could think of a reason or two.
Though I prefer Adventure 1 for the main game. Adventure 2 's chao garden made me keep coming back.

SA2 Battle > SA2

No Big, no buy.

adding in a Dark Chao as a replacement of him was pretty stupid, they should have swapped with some actual named character if at all

So…I have only played a very few sonic games. I don't know the culture about it either. And I wouldn't say I am a sonic fan at all (on accounts of only having played two games).

But I remember SA2 very fondly. I remember it was varied, each part played pretty well, the music was great, raising chao was really fun. There was a surprisingly focus on narrative and was silly, but the fun sort of silly. Overall just had a really good time with it.

A very solid game. I put a good amount of time with it as well.

They removed cameos. Finding all the cameos was a lot of fun. What would be the purpose of removing them? Because Sonic Adventure wasn't released on Gamecube yet? Who cares?

Rubbed all the edgy tweens in all the right places at the time for story (and had a couple legitimate good bits in there like Eggman getting Tails to tard the fuck out and out himself on making a fake emerald)

Edgy story about cartoon animals with attitude that took itself seriously to appease the SatAM/Penders-era comics tards, had Rouge and her visible cameltoe to tickle the taint of pubescent players, had Shadow in general to appeal to Sephiroth lovers

Game itself is OK to great, not 10/10 but not below a 7

Half of it is nostalgia and half of it is the Chao Garden. Nostalgia makes the majority of the game seem great to its nostalgiafag audience and the Chao Garden holds up really well and is a surprisingly deep system. Standalone Chao Garden NEVER EVER

Having never played it, i'd guess the music.

"SA1/2 sux" is also a good mene in its own right

I guess some youtuber made a video recently shitting on them.

yeah some lets player called Arin "Game Grumps" Hanson

ProJared did a video on SA2 in the last year. He's actually pretty fair with it, but criticism is funnier, so it's the part that people remember.

Because 3D Sonic games are bad is a meme from hipsters who's only knowledge of the series came from sonic 2006 after the Great Bazinga of Unlimited cancer happened in 2007.

Genuinely if you think all 3D Sonic games are/were bad you probably don't know shit about videogames.

I sincerely bet none of you faggots even played the game when it was out on the dreamcast.
Or even remember when they gave out free DLC because the final stage was broken.
Or posting on the official forums about speed runs and stage times.
Or even when they were talking about what glitches to keep in ports because they were good for speed runs and added replayability.

Stay assblasted Arin.
XD

Arin is a hipster that doesn't play videogames
The awesome series was for friends and with the exception of the metal gear games he only looked up shit on forums to get a general idea of the plot.

I did play it on Dreamcast. What was the glitch in the final stage? I could never get past Tails' section in the big finale, but that was probably due to being bad.

On surface SA2 seems like an improvement. Better cutscenes, sonic controls a little better, ring dash doesn't need to be charged, hub world is removed for quicker pace of the game. But SA2 actually made me appreciate a lot of thing in SA in comparison. For one Hub world in SA is actually pretty charming, it was interesting to hear from npc's their stories, like mother with gambling problems and her son, or a girl that wait her workaholic father, it's neat to see their stories go on along side yours. I started to appreciate an option to choose a character instead of light/dark side of storylines. SA2 is paced abysmally, going from fast stage like City Escape/Jungle Escape to Treasure hunting/Mecha Tails stages is an equivalent of colliding with a wall at a full speed, it almost physically hurts, but in SA, you can choose to play a playstyle you want, so it paced way better. Obviously it was a bullshit to downgrade a radar in Treasure hunting and I just simply hate how Mecha stages control, plus often in Mecha stages enemies can literally drop on you from the sky, without a warning, to break your streak and that;s annoying as hell. And a lot of stages in SA2, really overstay your welcome, especially closer to end of the storyline, wasting about an hour into Aquatic Mines or Meteor herd is no fun at all.

Anyway my question is, where "Sonic Heroes is when it gone wrong" meme is came from. It actually the closest thing to "Sonic Advance in 3d" as we got.

ROLLING

I never played SA1 and SA2 until about a week ago.

SA2 is a million times better. SA1 is a poorly designed mess where it seems like the devs had no idea what they were going for. Also the loops are usually there so the player can land in the next section and readjust themselves to prevent them just running into everything ahead and killing themselves.

Only nostalgiafags think this game is anything better than decent. I still think it beast out the original in terms of gameplay, though, even if the camera is wonky as fuck sometimes.

The camera is wonky but far better than SA1s.

The Sonic Heroes thing is because I suppose SA2 was rather dark so they overshot and made everything bright, colourful and happy. It's rather jaring after SA2. And then after than the overshot again and Shadow was the result. It's not bad from what I remember

It's the same thing but with more content and better graphics

They put him back into the Steam release

I agree with you 100% on everything regarding SA1 and 2.
As for sonic heroes, most people played the god awful ps2 version with tons of bugs and glitches instead of the GC one, and shitting on Sonic way slowly becoming a thing at that point.

Huh? I did play the Dreamcast version when it came out. It's my favorite game and I never owned the Gamecube version, I just play the Dreamcast one all the time. I have never heard of, much less actually experienced, the final stage being broken. Sega knew full well that despite the Dreamcast having DLC capabilities, a huge part of the audience of the late '90s/early 2000s wouldn't have access to it. The DLC the game has is cool, but I never bothered with it until years later because I was one of those people who couldn't use the DC online.

Yeah a lot of them are. Like getting characters into levels they're not supposed to get into in Sonic Adventure 1. The glitches aren't game breaking, they're the type of shit that takes effort to do but is cool to fuck around with.

Knuckles' is the one that's hard as balls, at least if you don't have the item that lets you breathe underwater. Get that and the whole stage is pretty easy.

You make legitimate points, but despite the lack of Adventure Fields (nobody ever really acknowledges just how detailed the NPCs' stories are), which I think is the biggest thing I miss from SA1, the level designs are just so vastly improved in SA2 that it makes up for it. When I want to play SA1, I go through the story mode and that's that. It's fun for a few hours, but the extra content isn't really worth bothering with. When I play SA2, I want to master all the levels, because they're much more intricate, and the scoring system, ranking system, and unlockables, give you much more incentive to come back. It results in the game having a lot more content and replayability.

You say that as if it's a good thing. Heroes is okay, but Advance influence in the main games is what eventually lead to the boost to win formula we get now.

But without Big.

Too little, too late. Also, no VMU support.

Also, I forget, but is the Dreamcast DLC available on any of the other versions? I don't think you can play as Eggrobo in any of the other ones, can you?