Cancelled games

Post games that have been cancelled, vaporware, or stuck in development hell.

Concept arts are fine too.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkness_Falls:_The_Crusade)
thesolidstategamer.wordpress.com/2015/06/19/fierce-harmony-an-interview-with-michael-pummell/
thesolidstategamer.wordpress.com/2015/11/20/fierce-harmony-an-interview-with-michael-pierre-price/
arcanum.wikia.com/wiki/Journey_to_the_Centre_of_Arcanum
youtube.com/watch?v=4u4NNOwh2lI
youtube.com/watch?v=Ob-CdGmpg_U
youtube.com/watch?v=mUNFrbpOSTE
youtube.com/watch?v=6qsI7petLho
frontwirestudios.com/official-announcement-steam-distribution-deal/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

would have been the last major PC game. Such a shame Intel acquired it, and when Larrabee failed the project followed.

Now PC gaming is a bit on the dead end.

It hurts.

*{spoiler}*It's coming out in 2077 XD*{/spoiler}*

back to facebook chhan with you

Is it difficult having autism?

There's your problem.

;_;

must be hard making friends when you dont understand basic human interaction

Prey 2

I just hope this game comes out eventually so that Suda finally moves to hopefully No More Heroes 3 at one point in his career.

you're trying really hard to fit in arent you

I hope NMH3 does come out just to see the SJW's salt flow from their eyes.

The agency covert ops was a spybased mmorpg that sounded pretty neat

Sony cancelled it though

Rip

Newfags get out

Oh I've been waiting for this. I'm going to take this opportunity to talk about some games that weren't really cancelled, but were basically shut down long before their time. What am I talking about? Gamestorm of course!

Gamestorm was an online gaming service around the turn of the millenium. late 90s to 2001. It was a subscription service: you paid $10 a month and got access to a ton of online games, most of which were not available to play any other way. There were some pedestrian, not especially unique games among them–Subspace, an Aliens licensed game that was basically a 2D, 90's version of Evolve, etc–but also some shit so great I still remember them 16 years later. The two that always come to mind for me are Magestorm and Fierce Harmony.

This was an online arena shooter, with the big twist being that you were spellcasters. There were arcanists, clerics, mages, etc. Basically, imagine Heretic/Hexen mixed with Quake MP. It had character persistency and leveling (levels determined what spells you had available) in an era before this was some obligatory bullshit crowbarred into every online shooter. Made by Mythic, who would later go on to develop Dark Age of Camelot. Mythic also produced a lot of other games on the service, including a MUD with a graphical frontend that was themed around factional combat. (More info on that MUD here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkness_Falls:_The_Crusade)

Okay, so this game was weird. Superficially it looked like a fighting game, but in terms of gameplay it was more like a turn-based strategy game. You played as swordfighters in some alternate dimension with lots of martial arts & "eastern" styling. Along with different styles of combat, you also chose elements. Different battle arenas were associated with different elements, which would affect how your fighter performed. Why make a fighting game where you input moves over a matter of seconds rather than milliseconds? Well, remember, this was the era of 28K and 56K modems for a lot of users. So this was a practical solution. It had a really fantastic soundtrack too, which I'll link in my next post.

Fierce Harmony's soundtrack was procedural–that is, for everything except the title track and one or two menu musics, every piece of music you heard in the game was assembled in real time out of snippets of audio. This changed depending on what was going on in your fight, what type of fighter you were, etc. Sadly most of this music is lost forever–the composer only had a few pieces left. Most of the combat music is completely lost to the sands of time.

If you find this stuff interesting, you might like these two interviews:

thesolidstategamer.wordpress.com/2015/06/19/fierce-harmony-an-interview-with-michael-pummell/

thesolidstategamer.wordpress.com/2015/11/20/fierce-harmony-an-interview-with-michael-pierre-price/

I feel kind of bad for the developers that the game was shut down not long after it launched, since Gamestorm went out of business around that time (2001). It deserved better.

Killer Freaks from Outer Space.

First developed as a "mature" game starring the Rabbids from Rayman for the 360/PS3.

Then turned into a FPS about a old London conspiracy theorist (who was right) fighting alien inspired versions of them for the Wii U, shown and playable at E3 2011. So they could have a FPS with Gamepad features. There was also a asymmetrical multiplayer mode of human player (TV) fighting someone deploying alien minions against them (Gamepad). The game was also mention as going to have 4 player online co-op

Then in 2012, it changed dramatically and became the survival horror Wii U launch title Zombie U. The reason for the genre change was because using Gamepad features was better against slower enemies like zombies vs faster alien creatures. In ZombiU's gameworld there are movie posters and toys for KFFOS referencing it's origins.

Probably a good idea in hindsight.

Speaking of canceled Wii games, there was this survival horror game that basically looked like an early version of Silent Hill Shattered Memories. I dunno why it never came out, they could've easily ported it to PC or 3DS now

there was supposed to be a sequel to Rondo of Blood on the 32x.

Whore of the Orient and The Agency

Thief 2 was going to get the same Gold treatment as the first game. Also I know there's a demo level they developed to use the most advanced audio tech I can think of. Then Looking Glass went under and the audio system was patented by trolls who aggressively attacked anyone trying to use it.

remember fallout new Vegas?
remember Cassidy?
there was a removed quest in the game that had you party with the settlers of goodwill and you would wake up in the same room as Cassidy
and find out you two are married

That game looks pretty comfy to play. I love those graphics. It's not trying to be pretentious art bullshit. It just looks like a videogame I'd love to play.

Fuck the pretentious artsy fartsy bullshit games we get these days.

new vegas was also supposed to be larger in size and scale, with many side quests and stories to make it feel like the hub of the game, the area that was the capital of the wasteland
it was cut down on scope and size due to time and money.
also console limitations

source: gameinformer and some user on 8ch

Holy shit. Imagine if they were given more time and weren't limited to console bullshit.

New vegas would've been a humongous fucking city instead of that small as fuck strip we got. Also Caesars legion would be huge as well. So much potential this game had but was ruined by those greedy bethesda jews.

Forgot to mention that even with all these shortcomings the game ended up being miles better than anything Bethesda could ever create or think of. Kek.

I will never stop feeling sad about this one.

NEVER EVER
CHOKE ON THAT FEDERATION FARCE DICK

Call me Snake.

You know Nintendo is gonna do some shit where if you don't buy it they'll probably never make another Metroid game again, right?

Nah, Federation Farce looks like it cost them nothing. I'm waiting for the reveal of the NX launch titles before I call Metroid dead

arcanum.wikia.com/wiki/Journey_to_the_Centre_of_Arcanum

>tfw nostalgic for those days of playing Arcanum on a CRT monitor

We don't need another one.

Wrong file

user……
you're killing me

This one still hurts. Modern PC games still have trouble looking as good as Offset did.

That looks dope as fuck

The only two songs that do that for me are these ones.

youtube.com/watch?v=4u4NNOwh2lI

youtube.com/watch?v=Ob-CdGmpg_U

But NLG is still making a Metroid game, they're making Federation Force

I don't want to know whatever abortion they were cooking up, that concept art looks abysmal

It still stings.

Why god, why?

what should i feel?

The thing about concept art is that it's concept art. That's probably only one of 20-something designs and styles they drew up. Also:

Holy shit you're illiterate. Or just plain blind, if you like that concept art.

Never said it

Doesn't mean it doesn't look like Guacametroid. You can't say that the concept art is meaningless when the shit game they are making has a similarly awful cartoon style

there is literally no concept in that image. it's just Samus drawn poorly.

Sad that they shut down the studio before they made both.

Guacametroid would've been better than this shitshow that'll tank and kill the series.

If you want new concepts, here you go

Most of it was prerendered bullshit bro

All the best parts were playable, if the trailer was any indication of what they were capable of the game would have been gold.

There's also the problem of the engine being a giant pile of shit.

F

D4: NEVER EVER

Nah, fuck that, that looks boring and toxicly masculine, I'd rather play the newest indie walking simulator or a cutting™ edge™ megatexture™ open-world™ metroidvania™ procedurally-generated™ old ip remake™ with shitty™ tacked on multiplayer™.

Better buy Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 4 Plus: Summer Memories if you want to see Bumpy Trot 2 comeback to life. It's your last chance

tfw no JoJo FPS

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

youtube.com/watch?v=mUNFrbpOSTE

youtube.com/watch?v=6qsI7petLho

Remember when Blizzard used to cancel games that weren't going well?

JUST

Do we know anything about this "Dread" other than a name?

fuck man

NEVER EVER

This game actually had quite an interesting story going for it…then they cancelled it and turned it into some mmofps

Why did they cancel Warcraft Adventures? It looks like every other big adventure game from that time, maybe even better.

I remember this trailer.
It looked interesting.

So basically, Warframe with swords?

And engine limitations, I don't know why Bethesda forced them to use gamebyro, why are they so obsessed with that terrible fucking engine?

Even if it was coming out soon, the horror meme has died out, so it probably won't amount to much.

Both games canceled - meanwhile Vampire got 2 games and Hunter got 3 FUCKING GAMES.

That's Diablo font.

I blame the fucking jews for cancelling this.

it was animated by the people behind the CDi Zelda games.

Never fucking ever.

I wouldn't notice. Most adventure games from the 90s look like this.

I wish they'd update the state of the game more often than every 8 months.

We know from an interview that it was mostly finished and was going to be a 2D Metroid on the DS, it was the direct sequel to Fusion and that it was canned so Hackamoto could make Other M instead

I think it was that they made a demo as a pitch but nobody wanted to fund them to make the actual thing.

Seaworthy is a pirate adventure roguelike featuring RTS combat and brutal 16-bit graphics - inspired by great games like FTL and King Of Dragon Pass.

Experience an interactive fast paced pirate adventure: A game about building up your pirate crew, watching their tales unfold and facing their gut wrenching decisions. As the Captain of a pirate ship you are in charge of commanding crew in battle, managing resources, improving your ship, and staying afloat through engaging encounters. Seek glory, adventure and treasure all while avoiding the dangers of a mystical procedurally generated world.

If only it wast gamebryo

Post yfw this game never ever :((( :c

Idunno… I thought the same about Cradle, but then that came out.

I would've played the fuck out of this.

Looks like Winter is truly never gonna happen.

I remember when they tried to pitch Winter to publishers they got reject on the catch 22 of we don't know how well survival horror games sell on the Wii, so we won't greenlight your Wii survival horror game because we think it might not sell.

2011 preview

2013 release

I'd rather have them leave it rest forever then further tarnish it.

I like how at the start Levine criticizes most shooters for having "linear corridors, static enviroments and cookie-cutter AIs", when that is exactly what they later did in Infinite

Ive looked into it and aparrently its not canned but put on "hold". So it might still happen.

Looks pretty good too. A shame if it were to be left unreleased,

The preview BI never existed.
It was just a mix of vids and heavily scripted sequences, it was never a proper game.
They were just playing with the core concept of what kind of game they wanted to make.
When they finally made the game they had to sacifice a lot of stuff.

I wish there was a game better than Bioshock Infinite in showing you that early 20th century flying american city while having a cute waifu that follows you everywhere. If you know, please tell me because I'd like to stop playing this game.

2 years.
Enough time to change the game, to dumb it down.
Hell, the entire game fell apart. Remember how enemies could also use vigors, and not just you? How the world was nearing it's end, with things breaking down and people going crazy, but instead we got an utopia, then went into an alternate universe where the blacks fucked everything up.
Bioshock Infinite could have been great. Instead it's a mess of a game, appealing to 'intellectual' plebs who want to feel smart.

It was made by Swery

The game would still be shit despite the artstyle because EA.

Dark Messiah isn't a fps.

You can shoot arrows in it.

Any game idea involving Guillermo Del Torro. Guy is just unlucky with getting games made. Wasn't there a teaser for one at one of the video game awards show? I don't think that was for PT but then it didn't show anything but Guillermo just being involved.

are you retarded ?

fug i meant

I was looking forward to this too.

This is probably the most painful example.

this is some lazy ass pixelshit, not 16-bit graphics

it still hurts

6 Days in Fallujah
I wish this game was made. Too bad the gaming press destroyed it by manufacturing a controversy.

That's why I fucking hate this game. The game starts, it's a walking simulator for 15 minutes, then you arrive in Columbia and the whole town wants you dead. No peaceful resolution, no way to skip combat.
The fact that the game was praised by wannabe intellectuals is unbelievable.

explain

The game depicted what really went down in Fallujah, as graphic and horrible as it sounds. So the media had a field day with it, with the supposed families of the american vets calling it "disrespectful" and what not.
It went against "they" if you know what i mean.

I recall that the way it was presented originally is that you'd be able to take sides and affect the outcome of the revolution.

In the end, the only reason why you help or harm one side or another is because the story railroads you into it. I guess writing a story about infinite choices leading to infinite possibilities in infinite universes would be harder to write if you could actually make any of those choices.

Are we ever gonna reclaim video games for ourselves or just the let masses ravage and rape our games?

Dr. Manhattan Simulator status: vaporware

It all went downhill around 2005, didn't it?
Tho if the found an above average TPS game dev to do it, kind of like how Platinum did MGR I'd be happy. tho the SC2 DLC might be their way of trying to get that story out the door

Remember when Alan Wake was supposed to be like a Twin Peaks inspired murder/mystery open world game?

You're shitposting, but also kind of right. Obsidian is hilariously overrated as devs, creating broken, barely working, bug ridden, horrendous, games. Even worse than Bethesda in that department.

Shit, New Vegas is barely even playable without NVAC. With the invisible walls and heavy handed railroading, it's a worse designed game in a lot of aspects.

Obsidian was carried almost entirely on the back of it's writing. Now that they've lost Avellone, their best writer, you might as well write them off entirely.

;_;

What is the game?

MARK.

The game was about the Patriots catching kikes, strapping explosives to their bodies and using them to kill other kikes.

I suppose the closest we got to SDIF was Spec Ops: The Line, a TPS with Horror elements.

On another note, what the hell happened to Breach?

It was a game that portrayed the Iraq war as it truly was, making it a survival horror game.
Soccer moms came out in force, denouncing it for portraying war as horrible as it actually is, even though there were soldiers who operated in Iraq, saw the horrors they saw, and helped the dev team in making it as truthful as possible.

I thought a while ago about making a mod for ARMA that makes war hell, 9/10 when a soldier goes down they don't go down clean, they bleed, they cry, then they die, all while having things like child soldiers and such.

Then I realised I have no talent and the closest I can think to my vision is SLX.

It still hurts, dammit.

You know what I meant.

You lost any valid claim to criticism when you try to claim Bethesda is better than Obsidian in anyway.

You can't say Obsidian is overrated without saying that Bethesda is full of talentless hacks.

Holy fuck, you can see how the developer just breaks down in that last clip
as usual

Whoa whoa whoa.
Oh my god. Bigger question why has no one picked this up yet? If it kept the same graphics as they are on that page and came out on modern hardware it could run at 60 and literally be a the mgsv we wanted and more.

I wonder whatever happened to Dread. Was it ever officially cancelled?

Apparently the game is still in development, Atomic Games still updates their website even though Breach came out in about 2011 and is pretty much dead now.

No need for two reminders, fuckers

Nothing to see here, into the trash with you.

how new are you? look up the game Fuse

Fuck off with this pants on head retarded rhetoric.
I don't look the look of this and I've given my reason why. Don't worry user, not everyone is gonna like what you like and vice versa.

I'm almost over the loss of Looking Glass, but this fucking gets me ;_;

Not exactly on the thread topic, but that reminded me:
Mechwarrior: Living Legends was C&D'd so that some company's "F2P" bullshit wouldn't have to compete with a fucking fan-game

HellRaid

Looked fuckin good too. Shame

Then don't fucking show it.

Yeah right. Can't believe people fell for that to be honest.

Kyle is stronger than Luke?

You retarded or something? That was a different game. Rising was never advertised as being like that. The first Raiden game was being developed by KojiPro, but they canceled it and then let Platinum make a different Raiden game.

Rising was never incorrectly marketed as being like the first Raiden game was meant to be.

Not bad. You almost had me.

9/10

I'm glad someone posted this. I'm still pissed that they scrapped this in favor of the shitshow that is Siege.

Nobody mentioned that elven duel game? It looked interesting.

Well, around that time they had Diablo 2 and LoD out, so they just had BW and War2. They "took a gamble" and attempted Warcraft Adventures. Which they got some voice actors that were well known and made like ~85% then they cut it so they could make War3.

If it ever does come out it ought to be better than SOMA, right?

This video is what it should've been.

Too bad it turned out the way it did, seriously. Last game I ever pre-ordered.

Don't forget the most important part: They shut down a fan re-make/port of Mechwarrior 2 for the Cry Engine as well.

Wow they completely fucked up.

frontwirestudios.com/official-announcement-steam-distribution-deal/

Its coming out boys and for free on Steam!

This was the first attempt at a Team Fortress Classic sequel. It would've been focused on realism and would have 12 classes. I wish we'd get this TF2 instead of the one we got in 2007, but the one we got was pretty fun, until F2P fucked everything over.

Giant company logic. They already own it so it costs no money. Will people buy the game regardless? Yes, because it says "Fallout" on the box.
Proof: Fallout 4

Why must you make me suffer this way?

We almost got a Lobo game twice. It would have been glorious.

How did things go so wrong so fast?

So that I am not alone. ;_;

I should add, I thought I was the only one who cared about this game, and even no you have me second guessing that you meant to reply to the Prey 2 video, thats how far under the radar and how little people seem to care about The Crossing.

That's the most mindbending part though.

What company goes and buys an entire company known for producing efficient and flexible game engines, and instead of using id tech for their games, chooses to bleed out all of the talent they bought up?

I just don't get it.

The fuck are you talking about? It's literally already right there. It existed. EA decided they wanted to target kids though so they had it all redone.

In terms of creating a competent game? Bethesda beats them, because despite how shit all their releases are, they somehow manage to fuck up less than Obsidian does in terms of bugs.

New Vegas is a better game than Fallout 3 and 4, yes, but like I said, that's almost entirely because of it's writing and a few basic mechanical improvements which again don't really work one hundred percent a lot of the time.

That's not cancelled, Capcom filed for a US Trademark on it this year.