Retro/Secondhand thread

Where do you guys usually buy older stuff?
All I see is ad sites but nothing thats fool proof, Im pretty paranoid about being ripped off by other people but Id like to play my PS2 games after mine broke down.

Retail doesnt sell them anymore

How do you do it/have done it?

Other urls found in this thread:

gamestop.com/trade/quote/xbox-360/consoles/xbox-360-system-black-with-wireless-controller/118710
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bump

Not ebay, some guy tried to scam me there last time.

There's a pretty decent second hand shop a town over with lower prices than elsewhere around where I live and has a generally decent selection of games to peruse, ranging from mainstream to niche. They also have services like disc/cart buffing/cleaning, as well as offering repair on older cart based systems, and as of now have two other locations that games can be shipped back and forth from.

Aside from them, there's some multimedia places around here. They're more than a bit hit or miss, but finding games like Yakuza 2 for $12 or Fire Emblem Path of Radiance for $10 have made them worth checking back at.

Much prefer to buy preowned games from an actual store so I can personally check the condition of things and in a number of cases stand a chance to get stuff much cheaper than online sellers that just check ebay for prices, rather than rely on a description online (if there is any), or potential pictures that may not be the most accurate. Only buy preowned online when I can't find something locally for a long time, and only when there's pictures.

Yeah, what this user said. There are still quite a few retro stores around. Not sure where you are located but in CT I have at least 7 all within a half hour from me.
Also multimedia places are good but take a bit more searching as they dont usually advertise games.
Goodwill and Savers are good to check too, which yes stuff may be in bad condition, but getting a working PS2 for $5 is always a good deal.

Oh, and as for PS2 systems, they're pretty damn common, and at this point I doubt they're more than $40 (I paid that for my fat maybe 4-5 years back), with prices most likely being less depending on the location. I'd recommend maybe looking for them at an actual store though, preferably one that can confirm they've done stuff like replace the laser if need be. The shop I mentioned up there double checks the consoles they get in to make sure they work, and if there seems to be an issue with the laser, they get it replaced before putting it up for sale, and but a sticker on the back to mark that it's been repaired since they got it. They also have an (I think) one year defective exchange/repair policy for systems.

I suppose the matter of choice is really do you want to pay less for a system at some place like Goodwill, Savers, yard sales, etc for something that more or may not work long/at all, or spend a bit more on something that's been certified to be tested and repaired if need be, and even has a safeguard in case it breaks down in the near future?

Also, as far as I know, while most PS2 models should all be able to play the bulk of the same games, I've heard there's some variance in what does and doesn't work, both in terms of PS2 and PS1 compatibility (for example, as far as I'm aware, my 50000 model supposedly has issues playing Jak X Racing). So you might double check the model number of the one you've had to make sure you can play the same games you've been playing in the past.

It's not that they don't advertise games (at least where I am, they have "GAMES" listed in bold on the front of the stores, along with other stuff they take like books, toys, CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray. Main thing that makes them hit or miss are selection and prices. it can take more than a few trips to notices whether or not one is prone to fucking up prices in a way that benefits the customer. The main one I go to sometimes ask 2-3 times the normal average prices, yet other times asks 1/2 to 1/6 of the average price for reasons I can't fathom, but won't complain about.

Thanks, Ill try to find something.
Will likely find it at the end of the world

EBay is a scam site now, it has one customer support agent and only avaliable through the phone.

I'm serious

In all seriousness though, if you're a bong and looking for cheap ps2 vidya, CEX is the best place to go right now as many of their games are a pound at most.

>tfw the nearest GameStop doesn't sell used games anymore

I've actually had really good experiences getting old systems from Ebay, but part of it is I pick who I buy from very carefully, and will actually look in to who they are before I hit buy, and also I find sales where it's explicitly stated that the item in the pictures is the one I'll be receiving (you always get fucked by the mass sellers unless it's something cheap from china).

The trick is you can't go in to ebay expecting to pay some sort of amazing price. If anything you should expect to over-pay a little for the convenience.

So my personal suggestion if you have the cash to throw around is Ebay OP, but other options are to find retro game stores in your area, Unless you live in a rural area they should be at least one near you. Other options are Flea Markets and Swap Meets, which is a mixed bag given you'll pay great prices but you have to take everything "as is" without getting a chance to test it (and they likely didn't test it either).

Your real best bet for retro games though would be to find friends who have shit lying around they don't use and could be persuaded out of. That way you get the best of all worlds: You can actually test the system and be sure it works, and you can pay a lower price than you would at retail or Ebay.

Ebay is fine. I just got refunded for this PSP memory card I never got without having to call and literally bought and sold hundreds of items with that $8 card being one of the only things I ever had a problem with.

Oh, and I forgot to mention retro gaming conventions. That might also be a good bet if you don't have any friends with old tech.

Donation stores sometimes have really good stuff, but its hit and miss. There is also a vidya store that sells games reallly cheap, 6-10 dollars per ps2 game.

Fucking ribbon cable. Usually, I check thrift stores since the Goodwill likes to jack prices up for some reason. Ebay is alright if you use a sniping website.

Gamestop's taken over a lot of the used video game market as far as brick and mortar stores go, but you should be able to still find something around.

Didn't Goodwill ship all their worthwhile games to some at-the-time new east coast electronics and media specialty Goodwill to charge full price for them?

How does that happen? I've been playing Shadow Hearts on this super old PS2. Maybe I should check the disc? I'd be pissed if it wrecked a game that cost more than the system.

Not sure, but i did find some really good stufr recently. You just need to live in a more rurual location. And salvation armys dont do that shit at all, but they are about 1 dollar more per cd/game. I found a boxed pc copy of swbf2 for 4 dollars there and a duke 3d atomic for 2. Depends where you go and what time of day.

My nigga. That series doesn't get enough love or discussion (though I suppose at this point it doesn't warrant much).

Yeah, we don't really have salvation Army here to my knowledge. Just Goodwills, Savers, and a St Vincent de Paul as far as charity shops go, and they all suck for vidya.

Have you tried looking for thrift stores? There is this local one near me, its not part of an orginisation, but it donates its money to charity. It gets quite a bit of donations, so there is quite a good selection of old ps2 and og xbox games. Try looking for a donation store that isnt one of those big ones.

2 pawn shops in town, all games are 5 shekels at one but they have insane prices on all consoles, and the other one is fucking horrible run by the biggest kike I know he's a total fuckin asshole.
I have a ps2 that can play games off of a hard drive but other than that I usually emulate stuff
been trying to find a decent setup for my room with my crt but it's really hard because it's too big

It might have been you that talked me into it. Regardless maybe you can help. What does Alice say during spells for her battle quote? Sore.. uh ni???

I've tried looking, and we just don't have anything of note aside from the ones I mentioned here. And as far as worthwhile games go, either the ones that do get donated are quickly snatched up by scalpers to resell, or people are smart enough to know that they can at least get some money for their non shovelware, sports, or licensed stuff if they take it to an independent used game store, multimedia place, or sell them online.

Though I do have to question how bright some of the geniuses are that take some stuff to the multimedia places are. The guy that had sold them that copy of PoR can't have gotten more than $3-4 given how much I bought it from that store for.

Probably was me, not sure anyone but us two have been actively discussing it lately. I keep meaning to start another JRPG thread soon after how decent the last one was, but the timing doesn't seem right to me.

According to SHWiki, it's "Ouranos," meaning "sky" in Greek. Strikes me that it could also mean "heavens" as sometimes the words seem interchangeable, and might be more fitting given she uses holy magics.

Here you two keep talking about it and I am still hoping to find the disks somewhere. I know, slow down and all.

But after how you keep talking it up I really want to play this now.

I guess its just location. The thrift store near me has tekken 5 and 6 ps2 (5 dollars each), namcomuseum ps2 (that i got for 2.50), ninja gaiden black for 3, and a good few more i cant remember, but theyre less than 10.

Ya dun goofed.

Also, in case you were going ask about it next, according to some now seven years old GameFAQs thread, the mantra Zhuzen chants for his Yin and Yang spells supposedly comes out to "I call upon the dead, come out now and take the enemy's soul" or something like that translated from Chinese to English, though I have no idea how accurate that is, and SHwiki doesn't have a translation (just the chant written phonetically in English: "Rin-Kyō-Tōh-Sha-Kai-Jin-Retsu-Zai-Zen!"). The GameFAQs thread proceeded to devolve into a discussion of racism, what the fuck.

Well, Covenant and FtNW aren't too hard to find, though still not exactly common. Koudelka and Shadow Hearts are kind of rare though, and are generally more expensive since they sold a lot worse.

That's not too bad on prices, though the PS2 in general is still fairly cheap overall to pick stuff up for.

I'd be curious as to whether they'd still ask the same $10 or less for the harder to find, generally more expensive stuff though.

I talked to them (apparently one of the workers knew me from scouts a lomg fucking time ago) and they said that they check prices on ebay and sell them at 1/3 in store. So a rare 30 dollar game would be 10 dollars there, which is perfectly reasonable.

Wow, that's pretty nice of them. Hopefully they stay in business for a good while.

Some shops are actually going back to selling older games. I know GAME is starting to sell N64. SNES and Mega Drive shit again. No Saturn yet.

Outside that, boot fairs and online. Managed to pick up Guardian Heroes for about 30, along with other Saturn shit cheap.

Honestly though, only bother picking it up after trying it via methods. Psuedo Saturn carts, flashcarts for older cart systems, softmodding for more recent like PS2 or XBOX.

And everything the make is donated to this orginization that gives food to families in poverty. Its quite a good store. Im thinking of going and picking up the rest of the good games they have for my colletion.

Oh, okay, thanks! It was driving me crazy, but I didn't want to spoil myself trying to find out what was. I thought that it might be Latin or something since it sounded weird. I should play some more, so I can hear her say it. Well, plus, I just really wanna play more even though I put quite a few hours in earlier. I should probably start looking for the sequels, since I know that I'll want them now. The game is just so much fun. I'm really happy I bought it.

You should. If you have a place that good near you, it might be good to make frequent rounds to them to see if there's any good pickups.

Is the one you've found an independent thrift store or part of a chain? Might go looking myself if it's the latter; see if they have a location around here where I live.

Glad you're enjoying it, and yeah, you definitely should at least be on the lookout for Covenant as it picks up some months after the bad end of the prior game. I was happy to have had both games at the time and be able to jump into the second one after beating the first (additionally, due to the chronology of the games, you can actually pinpoint which sidequests the party actually did in canon, which is pretty neat). Seen a copy or two recently where I live for about $35, which is about average for it. I do know a few places that ask as low as $25 though.

Looking further into it, the fact that the term is also used in a particular incantation in Covenant and the nature of said spell, I am pretty sure now that "heaven(s)" is the more accurate meaning, if it does indeed translate in a way that can mean either.

Its independant. Its just this blue building with "thrift store" on the front. And i did go back 2 weeks after i first went there, i think the only new game they got was an AOE2, but i already have that.

Ah, well, good luck in finding more worthwhile stuff there. I know how good it feels to find a nice pick up at the multimedia places I know of. I just wish it wasn't such a dry spell with them right now, as far as finding stuff I don't already have a low prices.

It's called flee markets, pawn shops, and garage sales. Farmers market too sometimes but that's rare.

I went to a few flee markets, i found a rainbow six 2 for 3 dollars, and everything else was so fucking expensive. A guy wanted like 100 dollars for a psp (this was last year). Another guy wanted 12 dollars for a pokemon snap.

It's called Bartering, git gud.

I tried bartering, but they were insistent on their prices. They were mexicans though, i should have expected it.

Only been to a couple around where I live, but they never had vidya. The fact that it's so hot here for a lot of the year doesn't encourage me to check more often at them either.

I think I've been missing sidequests. I just never know what to do. I just found some stone walking all the way back up that tower's castle today too. Hopefully, I'll at least figure that one out, since it was a long walk.

I hope they mix the saying up a little more in the sequels. They just seem to always say the same thing no matter what I pick.

This. There was a video game convention in May and I got Vectorman 2 for $10. One of the local stores here was selling it for $25. The store is a good place to get PS1 games for really cheap.

Each character in Shadow Hearts seems to have their own little thing as their quip for using special abilities, but it's used for all of their abilities (and to be honest, while the mix of languages makes some amount of sense, it's still odd to hear the voicing not be cohesively one language or another; I mean Yuri speaks English during the cutscenes in the western version, but what he mutters when using an item is still Japanese, to my knowledge).

Covenant and FtNW are, to suffice, odd about it. While each character still has their unique abilities, all them aside from the ones that can shapeshift also have Crest Magic, or Stellar Magic in FtNW. And because each crest, or stellar chart, can be swapped between characters, this means that if every spell was to have its own incantation, there would need to be a variant of audio for them for every character. So for the most part they have a few standard spell and item quips (really, they're not so much incantations even), as well as some more personalized ones for their own unique abilities (such as Karin's Geuschbenst having a quip of "Now… you… die!" or something along those lines when used, which isn't used for her Crest Magic).

Oh, the Dark Gravestone or whatever it is? Yeah, you'll find out hat that's for eventually. There's one of every elemental class as well.

Most of the sidequests are during later parts of the European section of the game, though there's still a few in the Chinese one, which become locked out completely after Kuihai Tower. I will say though, that the ones that have relevance in Covenant are the Shanghai Fight Pits (namely the reward from it reappearing), Gold Bat, and the Destruction Stone (which has to be obtained from the dungeon beneath Nemeton Monastery before fighting the boss there). You probably haven't missed any, and, Erotic Book aside, I don't think there's any asinine cutoffs, the way some other JRPGs, like Tales of the Abyss, are prone to.

Theres a store in my town called Replay Games.
The place has netted me an pristine unopened copy of SMT Nocturne, a used copy of Silent hill 2, used MGS3, very used Jet Set Radio Future, and an untouched copy of Zone of the Enders 2. All of them are literally the best game purchases I've made in years.
Anyone else doing what I'm doing? Forgetting about whats coming out now and just looking back for new games?

If i cant get a physical copy, i emulate it. I havent bought a new game in 5 or so years. Right now im playing pokemon mystery dungeon explorers of sky.

Not exactly surprising, as Atlus has reprinted that game (in fact, as of now, they've reprinted every PS2 SMT and Persona game, barring maybe vanilla P3). They were also pretty cheap last I checked, both new and used listings. Still, not a bad find; just saying.

For the most part I do. Only current system I have is a Vita, and I've honestly spent more time trying to find cheap PS2, PS3, Gamecube, and DS games as far as physical stuff goes, and I have't done too bad. Still, with some systems, I'm more prone to just download and emulate between general price hikes and fan translations where the west wasn't even deemed worth bringing a game over to.

I use kijiji for my city. There is a specific section for video games -> older generation. I've found a decent number of reasonably priced older gen console games there. Just got FFX for my girlfriend for 20 CAD and even more recently found a bundle of 15 PS2 games for the same price (including FFX, Sly Cooper, Midnight Club, and some other decent titles).

My gf also is part of some buy and sell kikebook group for our city where she sometimes finds really good deals on old games.

One of the chains near me has a buy/sell/trade page to let people connect up. It isnt the best and sometimes people try to sell video game themed art projects of theirs. Some are really good, but honestly Im looking for games or official stuff.

how does jailbreak a ps2?
tried it the other day with a dvd and a usb and i couldn't get it to recognize the disk

yard sales, ebay, and it helps I work at a retro game store so if anything comes in I can ask my boss if I can get it and he usually gives me an offer for cheap.

My older consoles are all modded by me, so I do a lot of back up loading.

hardware only
softmod the hardware to pirate shit because i am not paying 200 dollars for a rare copy of a dead game

Game collectors are cancer. Flood the market with cheap burned/labeled discs in dvd cases with printed covers or buy cheap sports game carts and rewrite them to rare games with new printed labels. Sell as 'loose reprints' and turn a buck while shitting on game collectors sitting on all the best games they don't want anyone to play.

Technically illegal but extremely moral.

Tell us about your job.

usually at greywhale. i've found a lot of gems there.

Nice. I know one store around where I live has the employees have to wait a week on buying anything and gives them no discounts. Though I suppose the "wait a week" thing is of benefit to customers like me.

I posted in an earlier thread about collecting shit. We get tons of really interesting things in. The last thing is a $1000+ SNES add-on. Hooks up to an exercise bike and supports two games. I'd love to try it some time, but the actual bike part is the problem.

I mostly restore and fix things, basic soldering and replacement parts. The only exception in the pictures is my steel battalion controller. I got that myself off of ebay.

The thing is, customers at our store aren't really the collector types, so if we get like a cool sega game gear bag, he'll ask us if any of us want it. I actually use a game gear bag as my daily carry, fits my laptop, vita, dslite, etc. in it. If it's some sort of game, like we got steambot chronicles in the other day and the girl who works the register wanted it, so it was just subtracted from her pay.

It's kind of nice not having customers come in who are always trying to lecture us about how miyamoto thought up the idea for pikmin while passing some really tiny rice sized turds or something. I may be the know it all in the store, but it's honestly not that interesting hearing facts repeated. Sometimes we just want to hear about how you used to play this game, hide from your parents at night playing it, and now want to show your son that. It's a bit more original at least.

Sorry, that's a bit pessimistic.

Wow, you guys actually got one in? One store I know of went years between seeing a copy, and I've only seen it locally maybe three times in the last five or so years.

Guessing that game on the whole never sold real well back in the day?

I need help restoring my steel battalion controller. Is there any way I can get in contact with your store?

It's the connector pieces that go on the underside so it doesn't fall apart. Any way you can help out with that?

it was sold to gyms actually. Seemed to be pretty successful, but god knows what gyms do to old components.

The guy who traded it in apparently got it from a yard sale without the bike so…it's a mystery. I wondered if it's possible that the exertainment used standard inputs that were common in bikes from the late 80s to early 90s, as the inputs appear to be like a phone jack. So maybe it could in theory, work with any bike that had tracked distance traveled and speed. I haven't done much research into it.

you mean the IDE cables or the plastic shields that protect them? I'm pretty certain they are just standard IDE cables, and it would require a bit of soldering to replace them. Can you take a picture of it? Also we don't really do specialized repairs like that, but I'd be interested in seeing the issue, maybe I can help you out.

Pics are just some more games and stuff from the store.

Oh wow, you guys do those Gameboy/GBC/GBA cover prints for DS style cases? Kind of wish I had a color home printer, since various places like Kinkos that I've tried have refused to do so on grounds of potentially aiding in bootlegging.

Where's this store at? Might have to stop in sometime if I'm ever closeby.

It's the plastic shields. I don't have it right now since it's all the way back at my mom's house.

They're just DS cases, the original GB/GBC games fit in there just decently enough to close the games on. It's a bit awkward, but it looks great once it's all prepped, shrank and ready to go to.

We're in New York, Miller Place in Suffolk County in particular. We're the only one in town, and our closest competitor is kind of a dick head so we tend to do very well for ourselves.

Funny, we've done so well that we put a local gamestop that had been around for like 12 years out of business. It was a sort of smug satisfaction kind-of thing.

I've actually seen some cunt sell those on ebay. I think you can find them on there, but the way the guy is selling the components? Fuck that. It pisses me off enough people sell it without the pedals, rendering the game impossible to play, but to scalp like THIS? Jesus. I'd actually suggest buying those components just for yourself, it may be a little expensive, but I think it's your best bet.

what the fuck man, it's nice to find the parts I needed, but it's fucking over someone else

Nice, what's the name of the place, exactly? Been trying to toss together a list of potentially worthwhile stores across various states for if I'm ever in the area.

I remember being at one of the game stores I like a town over from where I live. They've generally been on pretty good terms with other places here, and if they absolutely don't have a game at any of their locations, will usually recommend some other places that stock used games to check at. But there was always one store they never would bring up, because apparently, shortly after that other store opened, the one I enjoy was bombarded with a bunch of negative yelp reviews all recommending going to new one instead. Really comes off as paid shilling/shitting on the established place that's competition, and from having been to that place myself, the people running it seemed paranoid.

Meanwhile, I've never seen much of anyone at that other store, while the one I like is ALWAYS busy from the time school starts getting out until the close, seem to be in no danger of going out of business, and have even been expanding. only other game place I know of around the parts I live in doing nearly as well is only busy because they have a console arcade in the back where you can pay $5 an hour to do multiplayer with anyone else, or play any game they have in the store (the actual store area is generally barren of customers searching for stuff).

In my direct part of town, we had so many Gamestops that they drove everywhere else directly focused on games out, and even now, while a few of the Gamestops have closed (because there is no point in having one inside the mall and another outside the mall across the street), no one wants to risk opening a used game store here. All the independent specialty stores are in the towns surrounding mine, where there's less density of Gamestops.

Really sucks because once Gamestop stops stocking for a system, particularly Nintendo ones, they seem to cause a localized shortage and pricing hikes from them suddenly becoming that much harder to find.

The store is called Game On. That's pretty interesting, we have a few people that just shit on us, like a guy who used to work out of his garage would constantly leave shitty posts on craigslist about us. It was usually kind of funny, I doubt it hurt our reputation much. Some of the Long Island retro game groups, which are a bit of a hive for scalpers do shit on us quite a bit, I think they call my boss the game boy.

I think we're at a pretty fortunate/unfortunate time with marketing, a lot of big companies haven't caught up, but my boss is surprisingly on the ball. He does a lot of facebook pushes and plenty of sales, and we always insist that we pay more than gamestop for newer stuff. This is the clever part. Look at this:
gamestop.com/trade/quote/xbox-360/consoles/xbox-360-system-black-with-wireless-controller/118710
This may be a 60 gig xbox 360, whatever, but it's 15 fucking dollars. That's pathetic. We show our customers this and say we can't really give you much more, but we'll offer you say, 25, 35 or something like that. Then we re-sell it after we test it, refurbish it and wipe the data for like 60, 65 dollars. Undercutting gamestop, and still making a profit off it. If we aren't selling it in store, we go to ebay, amazon, etc.

After we get them with that, we always drop this same line "do you have any nintendo stuff? Gamecube? N64? Super Nintendo? We pay a lot more for that." We usually get people that are really interested, and at best, get them re-invested with stories from their childhood, and they get very enthusiastic over it. It's great. And then we get new stock, great old games that everyone wants (dkc, sm64, goldeneye, wind waker, etc.) and it ends up being a big boost for us. Gamestop can't compete with that, so we managed to put them out of business. Helps that my boss is a bit of a normalfag, so he's active on places like instagram and always trys to add everyone who is local so he's always getting the word spread.

Once again, gamestop just has TV ads, they have no personal presence. That's the benefit of this generation of the internet, people put where they're from online. The bad thing is, it's not just local businesses that can see that, but yeah.

also as a side note, never blow into your cartridges.

Neat, I'll add that to the list if it's not already on there.

But yeah, here Gamestop just set up shop to a ridiculous degree some years back, to the point you couldn't drive a mile or two without seeing one or two of them. Other stores couldn't compete with their marketing and sheer dominance, nor could they manage to get nearly as good of distribution for things as Gamestop (which I figure was a very likely factor in killing the local Play'n'trade). I do suppose that with GameCrazy, Hollywood Video going out of business was just as big a factor, and to this day, the corner the old one was at is still vacant, like no one want to set up shop on cursed property.

As if I needed further reason to hate resellers.

I find vidya stuff once in a great while at Goodwill and Salvation Army thrift stores, but it keeps getting rarer. Miscellaneous non-chain thrift stores are a crapshoot I largely avoid, but I should perhaps go hunting for them again.

Each of my three PS2 systems were $10, from various Goodwill stores.

I buy games when they're cheap/interesting enough, but yeah, I stick primarily to hardware. I have to keep my EE degree from getting too rusty, so if nothing else, I can refurbish the systems and controllers and whatnot. Recently gifted a coworker a PSX, Genesis 2, and a Dreamcast (with a NESTERDC disc) because he genuinely likes older games, but balks at reseller/scalper prices like any sane person would.

I think you have collectors mixed up with fucking bootleggers and frauds.

Images were the kinds of hauls I'd tend to get a couple years ago.

Additionally, church rummage sales tend to be a goldmine, when they're not a coalmine.

How's Solstice?

I think what he's getting at is more that he hates collectors and flooding the market with bootlegs is how he wants to see them dealt with.

10/10 restored faith in man

Solstice: Excellent music, hope you have autism to keep you from getting sick of the bullshit jumping puzzles in low-angle isometric view.

Where I live, bootlegs aren't an issue, because nobody tolerates the Chinese.

That's certainly nice. Still, I'd hope that overall you're not paying that much to try to try to rebuild your SNES library. At this point I can't even justify picking up the actual system itself (though I might if I ever get a flash cart), and just opt to emulate.

I know what you mean, I've got a poster for Wild Arms 3, but I don't want to just tack it up on the wall or put adhesive on the back. Unfortunately, frames where I live, even the simple ones, aren't exactly cheap. Maybe I need to look for poster frames at yard sales or something.

Is this copy-pasta? Feels like I've read this before.

i've set a hard limit for myself of $15 for a game I really loved, $10 for everything else. I cheated for Super Mario RPG ($18) but it's my favourite SNES game so yeah. I was lucky though; my mom found a complete SNES at a Salvation Army for ten bucks and got it for me without me having to pay the insane scalper prices for the hardware

This happened about a year ago and I posted about it then, so it's totally possible

We got in a Gamecube Hori pad that is like a SNES controller. Feels great.

Also, I hate cleaning up things smokers used to own. All that brownish yellow shit? Smokers.

My boss was thinking of starting to push some Sega Genesis systems, so we're doing some events and challenges focused around the system. Things like completing certain stages in no-hit runs, speed running through levels, things like that, raise some interest in the system.

Anyone have any good ideas?

Nice find on that controller. Shame those were import only and are generally expensive. Makes me wish those Wii adaptors for SNES controllers weren't out of print and out of stock.

Would be nice if the games I liked were prone to falling in that range. About the lowest priced still worthwhile games I've seen locally have been SMW and Donkey Country 1-3 for about $20 each, but the bulk of what I would pick up if feasible are generally $40+ each, and I'm generally not in the mood to drop that much per cart only game.

at the swap meet or at egay

Holy fuck I wish I could visit that shop.

Beat-em-ups like Golden Axe or Altered Beast are never bad. Genesis has great shmups, too, so Twin Cobra or MUSHA could be good for skill or high score. Herzog Zwei is extremely competitive with two players, given they each know how to play. I'm trying to find ways to have challenges in Fatal Labyrinth, though that game is too RNG-reliant to be anything different from gambling

Does anyone have any fucking idea about professional monitors? I got a 9" for free but it only has one BNC in that doesn't do RGB - I have a 20"er already but this one's kinda neat and I'd like to figure it out, if only for composite.

Anyways, plugged in one of my SNES' and I get audio but no video out of the damn thing. It might be a weird thing with the external sync in but I'm not entirely sure. pic related is an image from the brochure on the JVC site. Model TM910SU.

So say I came across an old PC game that's moderately rare, like $50-60. Now say the copy I found happens to be sealed. How much would the price increase by?
I kinda just want to open it but also it's a fucking DOS game and I can just download it.