Old graphic engines that are still being used

Remember when Half Life 2 came and everyone thought the source engine was going to be the Go to engine for the 7th/8th console Generations? What the hell happened? I don't remember unreal 3 being as hyped as the source engine back in the day. Hell oblivion was originally being made with scoure. Until bethesda switched to Gamebryo because it ran better.

Other urls found in this thread:

callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Engine
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IW_engine
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Figured Source is only good for physics and probably doesn't support functions for the purposes of what Bethesda needed. Plus Vindictus runs on a heavily modified version of source.

It's because all of these fucking nerds don't understand how the development business works.

Hasn't Bethesda been using the same engine since Morrowind?

Because the source engine is actually horrible and apart from one or two stand out features at the time was just plain awful and outdated.

Ue3 was a lot better and more flexible.

There's no reason to actually change the engine instead of upgrading it unless it have some horrible flaw, like the limited level size from the source engine, or some really nasty confusing internal structures that are very bug prone like the stuff bethesda use.

source is shit for long distances, and physics on source is still intensive. Intel hasn't upgraded their cpus to anything cool, or forced a change to a new architecture, because no competition and no market

even if their is, it's usually cheaper to hire indians to play with their keyboards for a few hours and invent a revolutionary inefficient workaround that will be abandoned in the next generation

Well, probably in some cases you can just fix the goddamn engine.
It's painful but less painful than actually writing a new one from the ground up.

valve admitted that Source was just plain annoying to use; thats probably one of the main reasons

It's not as old as Source, but Capcom is still using MT Framework.
It's being shifted out from most of their products now, but they still use it to make Basara and Monster Hunter games, for example.

For Basara, they use a variation called "MT Framework Lite", and for Monster Hunter, they use a variation called "MT Framework Mobile".

It's honestly one of the best engines ever made and it has served them exceptionally well over the years, in the rare cases where one of their games using this engine are ported to PC, they usually run incredibly well, as it's a very light and well optimized engine.

Well Blizzard still use modified versions of the Warcraft III engine even today (the one notable exception I can think of is Hearthstone which is a fucking Unity game).

Actually that's just bethesda's fault. They are that fucking incompetent.

most likely pain-staking limitations.

One of the problems with the original id tech engines ,especially id tech 1 and 2 are gated by map limitations, you cannot play something_wicked with the original binary of quake, you need to use winquake (the "offical" source port that bethseda/id software give to you on steam) or in general modern source ports like quakespasm or darkplaces. at the same time, the same thing happened with the original doom, the original dos port fucking sucks, just use prboom+, even the speedrunners ditch the original binaries of the game that came on the floppy.

I'm going to need a source on Oblivion being planned to run on Source, it's not at all a good fit for a TES title.

Source Engine had a tonne of really fancy features when it came out, but these became standard within other competing engines very quickly, Valve realized that they didn't need to compete in terms of engine features and did just fine moving at their own steady pace, they made all the right moves in terms of hiring talent, that their games always looked nice without needing fancy graphical features. Also initially the tools were a joke, I don't know what other engines provided but having to do things via a command line with no way to tell whether the thing you wanted to do is still working is pretty bad.

Valve does a good job in balancing visuals, Just look at Left 4 dead 2, it's visually very simple but it handles detail very well, the gore system, the high viz shader, the water flow shader, the way they fake massive amounts of visually different enough zombies that are used very well that make that game pop.

Sort of, the engine has been modified significantly over time by both Bethesda and the company that maintain Gamebryo. I doubt Morrowind and Skyrim share much in common at this point but a few basic things that work so well there isn't much use in changing it, or some things may seem identical even when modding the game but back end wise they may be a completely different thing built to achieve the same end result but faster.

The problem was that it ran like ass on PS3 and PS4 due to Sony's binaries and API as it's a heavily Direct X pipeline based engine and the only reason it ever got made was because Inafune slipped a Dead Rising and Lost Planet build out of Capcom when they were on the verge of cancellation and showed them to Microsoft at a dev meeting just before E3 2005. MS immediately rang Capcom and said they would help them finish the engine by sending engineers and cover the costs in exchange for full exclusivity on Dead Rising and a timed Xbox/PC release on Lost Planet.

It's an incredible engine that runs like butter on PC but it runs so badly on Sony and Nintendo API's (Outside of MTF Mobile) because it was designed for Direct X first that they had to drop it into the next gen. On top of internal Capcom shitstorms like Inafune trying to get a full English SDK so Blue Castle and other devs could use it and getting refused.

It's a shame. Incredible engine that still could have looked and performed great had they given it a new Rev for the new Gen of consoles but Capcom Capcomed. Made Phanta Rei which will probably never be used in a game and now switched to Unreal 4 and Unity 5 instead.

Source engine takes forever to load even on an ssd

Are you retarded? Everything runs faster. Source is just the slowest loading engine around.

I really have no clue what you're talking about when it comes to PS4, as Basara 4 Sumeragi runs at a perfect constant 60fps.
If it has some problems regarding the infrastructure, it sure as fuck doesn't show in that game.

Source engine's call to fame was its use of physics. It didn't support large levels and Valve was being huge cunts about supporting other devs who used their engine(VTMB and Dark Messiah). Then came along Unreal 3 showcased on shit like Gears of war which picked up a large following. The main advantage Unreal 3 had over source engine was how optimized it was. While Source engine games suffered from memory leaks on PC and framerate issues on consoles Unreal 3 was very versatile.

SSDs are our version of "da red wuns go fastah" in WH4K. You fell for the meme. I suppose you didn't take any 'Critical Consumer' lessons? Not that most of those hit the mark.

I've met several Holla Forumsies who still use 486s for work and they still apparently work great for what they do. Pentium 2/3 similarly, especially in this modern PC gaming drought - If it plays Fallout 1 and 2 and other games of that era it should be sufficient.

Technically not incorrect

When you consider how broad the definition of 'meme' is it does kind of turn out that way.

Promptly remove yourself from the gene pool if you please.

Are you legitimately retarded?
Do you even know what a SSD is?

Speaking of Unreal 3, in my personal experience it's been a very reliable engine. Games on it very rarely crash and never seem to have those weird obscure conflicts that other engines keep having. Even across all my PCs and/or upgrades, I've never had technical trouble with Unreal games. That's a big plus in my book.

I don't know how much of a difference SSDs make for gaming, I've never wanted to shell out the cash for an SSD big enough to hold many games. But I can confidently say they make an appreciable difference when you install your OS on one. It went from "I'll organize my desk or go to the bathroom while the computer boots up" to "I barely have time to turn on the desk lamp before it's ready."

This is the single stupidest post i've ever read in my entire life, on 8ch and halfchan combined from when i first started using these sites.
Congratulations, this is the single STUPIDEST post ever made i think.
You're legitimately the single dumbest motherfucker on here.

Solid State Disks. I use them myself but they legitimately don't add much at all. Especially since almost all modern games are not worth the time to begin with, I end up playing old games with a modern build. I regret my purchase of four SSDs, one of which had the infamous 8MB bug a short while after purchasing.

So yes, you fell for the meme, and so have I.

That has more to do with the fact that Unreal 3 has proper documentation and support than anything else. Its still on the developers to make use of it. The original Bioshock comes to mind which had bugs which completely removed the audio on various versions and this was back when day 1 patches weren't a thing so many reviews online had to come with a disclaimer that the developers are aware of the bug and are working to fix it.

So its the SSD's fault that you play nothing but old games?
I'll ask again, are you genuinely retarded?

That has nothing to do with the performance of SSD you dumb piece of shit.
By your reasoning upgrading your PC at all is useless to begin with because all you play is old games, that's your prerogative, it's completely unrelated to the hardware in question you lobotomized baboon.

That is entirely a personal issue, completely unrelated to how SSDs perform compared to HDDs. Also
Yeah you're fucking retarded alright.

SSD are useful if you're impatient. Personally I don't care if my computer boots up in 30 seconds or 2 minutes.

SSDs are also good for playing open world games (but I hate those). They cut down loading times.

I seed a lot of torrents and archive video and SSDs are shit for that. The best setup is to get a small SSD for windows and regular HDD for storage.

SSDs are useless. Mostly because nobody knows how to use them properly. But also they are not built to last.

Every SSD user I know has their performance degrade in such a short span of time to the point of being slower than HDDs eventually.

Installing OS on the SSD is the most retarded thing you can do. Windows is designed to be very wasteful, your drive will last 4 years tops from average use. But most people are whores and "upgrade" before it breaks so they're ignorant.

Meanwhile, I used a shitty laptop HDD (80GB) for win7 and load time is the same as day 1 for years now and loads faster than some high end drives that I didn't optimise. There's no reason to use a good drive for OS when you can use standby or make yourself a drink; god forbid it takes one minute to load!

Uh, no, that has been debunked for a while. Windows 7 and newer OSses can treat SSDs just fine.

You people are computer illiterate retards. Anyone who actually uses their PC for actually demanding tasks (read: Code compiling, video editing, 3D modeling & rendering, etc.) will see gigantic benefits from SSDs.

Compiling Unreal Engine 4 from source writes thousands of files to the drive and it's more of a bottleneck than the actual CPU compilation time in some cases.

Well it's a good thing I don't use wangblows. :^)

I bet you're the kind of guy who was still using floppies in 2003 because CD's were just a silly fad.

I'm going on 2 and a half years of booting from the same SSD and the speed hasn't gone down that I've noticed.

As for reliability, well, who knows when it'll fail. But I've had standard hard drives that didn't make it four years either, so it's not like they're infallible either. My friend recently had a brand new spinning plate drive totally fail after two months.

Are you sure you aren't just somehow morally opposed to new technology for some reason?

Oh my god.

We were the memes all along.

This is no longer a game engine thread but a Luddite and SSD thread.

Source is actually well optimized and it would be hard to mask how little content a game had, even with filesize bloat.

That being said nintendo made pretty gud use of it.

Are hybrid drives any good?

Does the HDD bit actually benefit from the SSD bit of it at all or are they just separate entities in one container?

if one part fails, you can't use the other.

just get two seperate drives, install OS on HDD, install games on SSD.

I have a terrible FX-6350 lightly OC'd, and the main bottleneck in 99% of things I do involves the HDDs I use. People say "but SSDs only help with loading", but they don't realize that the only time you ever wait at a modern computer is for things to load from or write to disk. Especially with how fucking compressed and massive sized everything is nowadays. I wish I could afford a bunch of SSDs.

I still don't get why they thought it would be a great idea to use Source for an MMO just because of the physics

Genius. For me, HDDs are still useful because I can get a few 2TB drives and store all the data I want, while also having a 480~GB SSD for my system (and any game that happens to load often or load slowly).

You seem like somebody who bought a 4k monitor and runs it at 1080p because your GPU can't handle 4k, then tells everyone that 4k is shit and doesn't look any better. Like somebody who bought an expensive small turbocharger to put in a Twingo, and based on that decided that all turbos are useless.

i wonder why they thought making use of physics was a good idea, im drawing a blank here :^)

I can understand why capcom used unreal 4 for street fighter 5 and all. But why the hell did they use unity for Umbrella Corp? It plays like shit as it is. It ended up looking more shit than it actually is.

Doesn't CoD use a highly modified version of the quake engind

As much shit gamebryo gets. It a great engine for MMOs. Dark age of Camelot, Warhammer online, RIFT,maple story 2, ragnarok 2 to name a few. Hell if Nexon wanted a Physic heavy MMO they should of used Gamebyro. Requiem is a old free to play game. Yet it's real time gore physics in a MMO is still impressive.

That was Half-Life.

I can see why when those games were masterpieces while HL2 was just 3/5 it's okay. seriously it's way too over-rated

Id tech 3 actually. Call of duty 4 modern warfare was pretty much just a updated Id tech 3 to the point clans used the same highlighting names commands for names as they did for older id tech 3 games.
callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Engine

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IW_engine

Are you sure?

that happened, like, never?
maybe you mistook your valve fanboyism for reality?
unreal engine dominated since version 2 came out after quake3.

nope, it looks like shit and ran decently because of the super-low poly models and super-low resolution textures. it doesnt even have an english documentation ffs

That impresses me. I thought they replaced it sometime around Advanced Warfare.

I see zero jiggle whatsoever

Every Source game I've played has had really stiff movement and bland lighting. They made it work well for Half-Life 2, but I'm glad it's not used as much as UE3.

Remember when id Tech engines were the shit? Now the only companies that use them (aside from id) are the ones working under Bethesda.

Unless you count all the forks of their old, GPL'd versions and the free games that runs on them.

Source was pretty shit when it first appeared. People only jizzed over it because "omg gravity!!!"

Basara 4 was running the MTF Lite fork. Not the full fat version of the engine RE Revelations 2 used (And caused huge problems on the PS4 version. PS3 version was nearly unplayable. Vita version ran on MTF Lite).

It's just a weird engine because Capcom prioritised 360 over PS3 and it converted really well to PC.

They were suppose. But COD tech 3 was too cheap and easy to use to replace. There rumors call of duty will switch over to billzard Overwatch engine though.

I wish Gamebyro was used more. It's just bethesda gave it a bad name. Everyone else inclouding Modders uses the engine better than them.

I never did actually get into that game, I gave it a brief shot and I thought the enemy designs were incredibly unique.

Are you nuts? OS and programs on SSD, some vidya you like on SSD, everything else on HDD.

Good game but bad timing. It's one of the better free to play MMOs still. It's not play to win

YOU'll SEE
YOU ALL WILL SEE

source engine can make a level that is 20 miles wide and high. the thing is no one ever bothered to make a map that large.

I've had this shitty SSD with Windows for about six years now and I've had no issue with it other than space, but that's only because I bought it years ago.

also, unreal 3 was much better than anything else at anything for a long time

Why is that?