My two favorite genres are FPS and diablo-like games

Borderlands is probably the least horrible game out of the looter shooter genre and that is really sad. Why can't there be a good diablo-like fps?

mixing FPS and rng-based rpg games is like mixing toothpaste and orange juice

it dun werk

Not unless it's an fps without shooter mechanics unless for bows

There's your problem. Try playing something that isn't popamole garbage.

Because its hard to have deep rpg mechanics and skills when all youre doing is shooting guns. To make a diablo-like good, it needs skill variety.

I found borderlands 1 and 2 enjoyable.

I just block out the noise in 2 known as burches writing.

Everyone on Holla Forums seems to like E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy

Pre-sequel's shit, though. It did some things right, but not enough to make up for Burch's forced diversity.
Janey Springs had no impact on the plot. You could swap her out for Scooter and nothing would change

more variety than Borderlands 1 already

True, but most of those are variagond on the gun's bullet patterns. I was talking actual skills like necromancer's raise skeleton and corpse explosion.

Variations*

The only shootan that actually works is arena. Play Xonotic or Quake, assuming you've played Doom with all the mods. Whenever you try to push FPS into a different genre, it starts getting problematic. Anyway, I hear Doom RLA or whatever is good.

t. fag who's played every single decent FPS under the sun

I liked the first game better, more subtle and mad max aesthetics. The second game however, well you know…

That's because of an inherent disconnect in the mechanics of the two genres.

Regardless of what you might think, Diablo RPG's are about customizing your build, not getting loot. Now that being said, you might get a piece of loot that you make a build around, or you might grind to get a specific piece of loot so you can make a build, but its the outcome of the build that you're playing for, not the item. The item is a means to an end. This is where Borderlands, Payday etc all fail. Your build isn't unique and doesn't have a special role, and that's because fundamentally, a shooter is a shooter.

The second big issue for these FPSRPG's is because there is no build diversity and there is no mana, stats, equipment slots, gem slots, items that improve your abilities, items that give you abilities or a crafting/forging/enchanting system, the thing that is most important about a gun is its damage. How many guns in borderlands improve your shields? How many shields improve your ability duration? There's none of that. Just get the most reliably damage gun with the endless amount of money the game throws at you.

Thats not entirely true user, in the second game there are some REALLY fun builds you can make with some pretty specific loot that you have to grind around for, that while yes, ultimately do = higher damage output, are much more complex than "gun b has higher damage than gun a"

Mostly Kreig builds, but hey, if thats the only decent thing to come out of Memelands dos, I'll take it

Did I miss anything? Or maybe you play ASSFAGGOTS?

esports fags go home

ASSFAGGOTS are on the same shit tier as FPS.

Fallout 4 is worth a try if you're looking for things like borderlands, can't say it's good though.

i KNEW IT

How's that cognitive dissonance treating you?

You're fucking adorable.

Krieg is fantastic.

You should play Dungeon Doom op-kun :3

holy shit I don't even have a powerful enough smug

Post more irrelevant images.

I understand, you feel inadequate. I'll stop picking on you now.

Keep posting more images since you don't have arguments and only assumptions.

Hey user what's your opinion on how you'll never ever get to play TFC with Sam Hyde's gf

Alright user I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. Are you okay? Did you forget what this place is? Do you know what an imageboard is? A so called "reaction image," maybe?

Hmm…. Good question. I think I'd rather play it with the big man himself but his cum sow will do just as fine I suppose.

You're pretty good at this "funposting" thing. Are you having fun?

I don't like seeing a man fall to pieces in front of me but I just rubbed one out and I'm a bit bored until I can get going again so I need some form of entertainment.

Why did you stop posting irrelevant images?

I don't feel like scrolling through my folders to get the "right" one. You also seem to be autistically focused on random shit now that you're clearly emotionally distressed so the humor would be lost on you regardless.

But user, it's all you had in place of qualitative arguments! Don't stop now!

The last argument you had was something about cognitive dissonance or whatever, shit I don't think that was even an argument, just you throwing out terms you heard from House or some shit. You done, yet? Your tone is condescending even though you talk like a 12 year old fresh out of RationalWiki.

And the last post you made that wasn't irrelevant images was a giant >implying post because you couldn't think of anything to say when you saw that someone insulted your precious popamole garbage genre.

user, your first fucking replies to me weren't even statements. Is your head okay? Should I go on the Criminal Minds wiki and give a diagnosis?

At least you've started posting images again, I knew you'd get your spirit back.

Really, Third Person Shooters are better.

Don't have to have rng. Doesn't have to be terrible either. Borderlands has potential, but they just shit on everything by ignoring fps and rpg mechanics. Half the bosses in the series either ignores cover or doesn't have any in the arena you fight them in. The only for an fps to work with no cover is to have projects you can dodge and good map layout. Presequel pisses on cover by making moon jump a thing. The only good thing about the game was the end boss. They actually made one that you can defeat with actual skill.

But does the big guy himself actually play TFC?

I completely forgot what this was all even about in the first place, yet here you are moving goalposts to

I'm gonna preemptively strike with the >replies meme before you autistically grab at it because you have nowhere left to go.

Max Payne 1 is better than ALMOST every FPS out there. That much is true.

I don't think it would matter what vidya I'd be playing if I was gonna play with the man

Nah, it'd have to be Max Payne. RE4 is more remembered for it's survival horror/action rather than it's TPS mechanics.

Well, it's at least not a genre that's all about 'muh reelizms'.
You can have a lot of fun with a third person perspective, doubly so if there's a platforming element that isn't utter garbage.

Max Payne 2 is just as good as the first, aside from length as its too short at 5 hours.

That's where I disagree with the majority. I personally can't stand MP2 due to:
Again, just personal opinion that has nothing to do with the gameplay. I'm just a big fag for atmosphere.

but diablo 2 didnt even have variety

The only one that didnt really have variety was the barb, but he still had a few very different builds.

builds arent variety. you still end up doing the same shit every encounter

You can say the same of any fucking game.

'Survival Horror' doesn't mean shit when enemies drop ammo and the game is self-aware of its own idiotic attempts at horror.

Doom, Quake, or even Goldeneye didn't give a fuck about realism. The 'realistic shooter' only came in around late 6th gen to 7th gen, nearly a decade after the above games were in their prime. I can say platformers are a good genre, but that doesn't mean I'm talking exclusively about indieshit low-effort gamemaker projects

We weren't talking about the quality of the game though.

Neither was I. Enemies dropping ammo is a definite choice by the designers of the game. Same goes with QTE sequences for giant child robots and the story that strings together each level. A 'Survival Horror' game will tune the gameplay to make sure your survival is paramount to progress, and enemy encounters are able to strike fear in the player, especially when threatening the survival aspect. Sure, the first time you get the shotgun and encounter the chainsaw guy, it has the tone of real survival horror, but even David Cage games start out promising.

hence why I said "survival horror/action." The original point was about how the game is hardly brought up as a great TPS. It's always brought up as an example of a survival horror/action. Whether the definition is inaccurate or not is not my place to say.

that's literally every game that forces you to specialize at all.

I want to get the hell off this moon more than Mega Man Vollnut.

That's what you get when you hire a cuckold as a creative consultant: A game where the first non-hostile character after the tutorial loudly proclaims how much she loves to chew on carpet.

The fuck are you talking about? Nobody ever got survival horror from RE4. The only reason it's good is the smart level design and well-made shooting mechanics. Why else would the gun range be spread throughout the game, or Mercenaries mode to exist? Why did it give you a crevice in a wall and a rifle to pop heads with? Or exploding projectiles for you to doge with the movement mechanics? Or have enemies that require you to shoot at specific locations under a scope? None of that shit was in AitD, Silent Hill, or any previous RE game.

I will hope one of the other writers is responsible for the rest of the game. One of them was responsible for writing the Driver games and Stuntman.

I don't think I've ever heard RE4 mentioned without "survival horror" in the same sentence. Pic related is from the Biohazard wiki, and if they're calling it survival horror then I'm willing to believe that it is survival horror. Look up any "best of" list and you'll most likely run into RE4.
I mean alright I guess.

So what tragic thing happened in your lives where you two feel like you can't back down from an internet argument?

the first argument I was quite literally shitposting out of boredom and wanted to see where the dude went next. The second argument is a discussion on what I assume is the definition of survival horror. Did you bother reading anything or are you just here to off-topic shitpost?

I mean alright I guess.

Mostly the later. That still doesn't answer my question.

Genre classification is an opinion.

Opinions are generated based on facts.

Well done, you've made some implications that have no way of holding up under scrutiny. What's the next in your master plan? Are you going to say that RE4 being called a survival horror game is just one more stroke in the Zionists' master plan to win the culture war?

What said. Like I said earlier, whether it's survival horror or not is not my place to say because admittedly I haven't played much of the game. I simply only said that literally everyone and their mothers calls it survival horror. If you want to disagree with pretty much everyone who's played the game and the dude who writes the damn encyclopedia on it, that's all you.

I assumed your question was rhetorical because it's a shitpost.

user, literally EVERYONE calls it a survival horror. Including the devs, including fans and speedrunners, including pretty much everyone on Holla Forums. But again, it genre classification can't be fact so you're wasting your energy on a pointless argument.

I just want to get post #9966666

welcome, reddit

It would be more productive than this argument unfolding.

That's what I'm doing, but I'm not seeing any evidence that the game itself is survival horror. I've seen little to no evidence supporting your argument, other than you stating your stance and proving that others support your stance. I'd love to go in depth about the gameplay, balance, and progression of Resi 4, as it's a game I've played at least 3 times, once of which recently, but

I'll let that speak for itself

get

realistic mechanic always are better than some lazy stats shits

I'll kill you.

but you were the one calling me reddit

You're goddamn right, reddit.

Do you know what the best part is?
That was me Barry! I got those quints!
You should have answered my question!

Once again a thread only gets bumped by useless arguing and eventually devolves into throwing shit at each other that's not even related to the OP. Thank you Holla Forums.

nobody cares, faggot. you must be new here if you need to point it out. cunt bitch.

Because people will have different priorities on which elements they'd consider worth combining.
For an FPS that has diablo like elements, I'd personally take the element of random area generation and even randomly generated monster and monster types. Some elements of character builds, and that might be it from the Diablo type game elements. I'm not enamored of too much randomly generated loot. Differrent weapons and accessories and combos yes, but weapons and their stats are not randomly generated. Enemies would drop weapon and ammo that they use, or have a chance to. Fun and viable melee in combination with ranged attack in the game. Muh balance at the cost of everything else fags and fun police are verbotten.
If you want to play a 1960's era GI grunt with a vietnam era M16 look alike rifle, you can. Want to be a ninja with a tanto and a suppressed 1911 looking pistol, yes. Classic madmax with a sawed off double barrel shotgun, sure. A semi modern day pirate with an obrez and a machete, why not. A ww2 british army inspired sniper, yep.

But this is my own wishlist of what I would want in a diablo like FPS game.

thus diablo is just as shit as borderlands

I don't really need the Diablo aspects all that much, I just really like first person shooting in games with a more open, adventure style structure, instead of directly linear maps and missions. Upgrading your character is nice too, but I really wish Borderlands had more upgrades for like, jumping and mobility stuff, as opposed to just increasing offense or healing and such. By the end your character does like a million times more damage, but their mobility is pretty much unchanged, and that does bug me over time, simply seeing more damage numbers isn't enough of a change. Plus, kinda hard to take vault hunters seriously as unstoppable ultra badasses, when a small gap would stop them cold. Not to mention how much their amazing destructive power is based on gear theoretically anybody could use, as opposed to innate abilitiesthey uniquely possess.

Also environment interaction would be great too, Borderlands has basically zero. Which is related to those mobility upgrades I'd like, the games would really benefit with changing how you can move and get around as you go. Instead of having the most basic FPS movement options possible, start to finish.

Really, I guess I want something that combines first person shooting and Zelda style adventure game structure and mechanics. But with leveling and lots of upgrading. And as long as I'm wishing, better art direction. Never really liked how Borderlands looked. The characters are all some kind of bad, and the whole "rundown wasteland" theme does nothing for me. But does that game happen? Of course not, because it's a game I'd actually want.

couldnt you just have an FPS where you can do shit like raise skeletons.

I'd play that

You can raise hell imps in The Darkness and The Darkness 2

Try some FPS roguelikes OP. Like Tower of Guns or Ziggurat.

OG DOOM players supposedly often like combining two mods that make it a 3D version of DoomRL.

never read these threads as they are always full of faggots but try hellgate london

It's better with the mod that combines the six initial classes into three, with one whose focus is shooting guns.

link?