Doom 3

I know that nuDoom is shit, but what about 3? I never played that one is it worth playing if I love Doom 1 and 2?

You're better off playing Doom 64. Doom 3 is just such a radically different game from the first two.

it's meh, if you want real Doom 3, get Doom64 EX

slow as hell

the expansion is holding up somewhat but main game is a chore to play

It is also a lot of dark corridors

Its Bioshock but even more linear and dumbed down.
Its a fucking tech demo that unloke Half Life 2 isnt enjoyable.
It barely tops Halo 2.

Doom 3 had a different approach, it was actually good on it's time.
However, it's not Doom. Think about a Resident Evil first person shooter with demons instead of zombies and you'll get it.

The main focus is darkness and spooky shit. It has action but not as much as we would have liked, but it's ok.

Play it, it's worth a try but don't play it because of the name.

It's ok just tape your run key down.

It's ok, but I think overall it's pretty forgettable.

it wasnt THAT bad, its just a different game, were you play as a normal marine when the shit hits the fan.

horror game with spooky moments, don't expect it to be memorable.

Just play "prey" its much better

Play it on hard. The game will keep you on your toes, and it makes the game more spooky, which is what Id was going for. It's not a proper Doom game, but it's unique.

Gets old very fast. And as other anons said the only thing interesting about it back in the day were the graphics.
Gameplay isn't actually very interesting. Played half of it and dropped it.

Its a terrible doom game but its a great horror game. Play it but don't go in expecting anything like doom 1 or 2.

It was pretty lackluster aside from the technology, the pace of the combat was frenetic as fuck whicb was good, but the enemy patterns and damage thresholds were all wrong, the weapons were weak sounding shit, too many closet spooky bullshit and too many instances where you do fuckall to create tension for the spooky skeletons to pop out that with the constant teleporting and Imp screeches was obnoxious.
Fucking keypads straight from System Shock 2, shit tier weapon/enemy variety with most of them being hitscan and nonexistant music.
People enjoyed it because it was called Doom, nothing more nothing else.

It was shit tier

I want another game along the same lines of doom 3.

This pretty much nails it on the head with how bad Doom 3 was, pretty much it was just in name only when it came to having the Doom name strapped onto it

Doom 4 ended up being better just because it understood more on what Doom was better known for or excelled at having, it wasn't about sluggish movement and bad weapons, it was about being a fucking space marine fucking up hell

System Shock you mean.

Daily reminder System Shock 2 is just as basic and linear as Bioshock.

It has excellent atmosphere. It's okay-ish shooter.

Kill yourself.

Doom 4 is better than Doom 3

I sure fucking love pressing F to cutscene.

I used to dislike 3 until I started playing more Doom WADs.

People bitched about how dark 3 was, but after playing Mordeth and Doom Raider it's pretty clear where id got their design inspiration.

You didn't played SS2 or Bioshock if you think that.

Thief nigger please

I just played them one after the other. Its true. Most of the skills in SS2 are useless. Tonics fulfill the roll of upgrades. Bioshock is only slightly dumbed down to to the removal of skills and stats, but the game was intended to be more of a shooter and less of an RPG anyways, mostly superficial things that didn't really have any impact on the gameplay of SS2 such as weapon degradation are also gone. Nobody complains about SS2 being dumbed down compared to SS1 so I don't know where the hatred for Bioshock comes from. The levels are smaller but are more dense in detail and items, most of the rooms in SS2 are superficial and don't contain much reason to bother exploring them other than autism.

Most of the complainers never played SS1, so they have no basis of comparison. I'll even admit I liked SS2 more than 1 because I played 2 first and held intentions of 1 being as creepy and atmospheric as 2 and being disappointed when the gameplay/aesthetics felt more like a Doom clone with mouselook.

its shit

They're both great games in their own accord, I think they reach similar levels of quality.
SS1 was much more influencial though, no one can deny that.

Saying that SS2 is just slighly better than Bioshock is complete fucking bullshit, System Shock 2 streamlined a ton but also added depth, Bioshock dumbs down everything and from the inventory management to the level design and minigame usefulness while having a setting that doesnt even fit its atmosphere.

The HUD and reconstruction chambers made sense on a heavy future SciFi setting, it makes no sense to have them in slighly Steampunk alternate version of the 50s, it doesnt even bother explaining them.

Bioshock is primarily a shooter, SS2 is an rpg. Nobody wants to play a shooter with an RPG inventory system. As I said, Bioshock has fewer superficial rooms and more details in the rooms it does have, almost every room in Bioshock tells a story, and a lot of them have unique props etc. The minigames were better actually, the ones in SS2 were all based on your stats, which is good because its an RPG, but playing them was pointless because they were luck based, they should have just had rolls instead.

Glad to know
Now fuckoff

Not an argument.

Fuckoff Molyneux

NuDoom is better than Doom 3.

they're both equally shit

Strangely enough, I picked it up from old game store for pocket change few weeks ago. Used because who the fuck gives Bethesda/Zenimax your shekels and the local store might have some special goodies Seriously, who finds ABUSE, an old DOS game in dvd package?

>fucking linear, there's almost no other routes except for enpro plant where you need to do some platforming or go in dark hallways, dunno if that counts

In summary, it's a fucking chore to play sometimes, but otherwise decent in general, and some setpieces are great. Linear as fuck. Glorified tech demo.

If there's expansion and in same price or lower, probably gonna get it.

you made this thread last week

Wait for Perfected DOOM3 v7

Pretty much every other iDtech 4 game is better, especially Prey

its meh-diocre

I want to fuck that Hell Knight.

I sure do fucking love demons that spawn behind me.

It isn't worth playing OP. One of the few positiv things to say about it is that it at least tried to do something different. It may also be a decent "horror shooter" but that's about it.
If you want to get it then grab an old copy but god forbid do not buy the BFG edition. BFG takes away modding and stuff.

Nah, I don't think so. Halo 2 was more fun that the dark corridor fest that Doom 3 is. At least Halo 2 had some interesting areas, though some where light rehashes.

I rather enjoyed Doom 3. It is certainly not Doom, and is linear and all that shit user's have mentioned already, but I enjoyed it. Sure it can get old fast but there's a fuckton of mods, unlike nuDoom.

t. person who hasn't really played anything other than Doom in years

No it fucking wasnt
Halo 2 was trash, a hastily made sequel before 7th gen to sell more HUEG that barely improved over the first one and had even worse atmosphere, Ievel design and shit weapons.

The intro is pretty tasty

Then it's boring for four hours or so

nah, all of those things were better in 2, none of the weapons in the first game were fun to use and being able to snipe with the pistol while the assult rilfe didn't fucking shoot straight didn't make sense.

At least they added a battle rifle, so you actually have a rifle that fucking shoots straight.

As for level designs, what the fuck made you think the first games were good? Halo 2 has much better level designs, the level desings in the first game coudln't have possibly gotten any worse, they were among the worst I've seen in fps history even if you take out the library.

Atmosphere? But the soundtrack was better and the environments were far more bland in the first game.

Halo 2 still wasn't that great of a game but it was better than the first and didn't even need to try that hard to accomplish that.

I stopped reading. Kill yourself

You are right about nuDoom it was just okayish in comparison to classic doom because you just can't get through the nostalgica of just murdering dozens of demons or just running past several of those just to get to the next room and end that level ( Nudoom doesn't give you that kind of freedom and that makes it so dissapointing that and the idea of snapmap and not supporting the modding community in a far better way).
But Doom 3 fucked it up in a different way because Doom 3 concentrated on showing off the new graphics engine that ID developed and they just slapped the name doom on it to make the people buy it.
It is just what the people say lot's of dark corridors and very slow and the reloading kinda ruined it even more.
It is just dissapointing for anyone wanting to commit a genocide on these demons because you feel like some normal idiot who has no idea what is going on and not like a badass who just want all of hell to turn into ash like in doom 1 and 2.

Just play Doom II wads OP.

It's really still the best option if you want to rip and tear.

If you haven't beaten Plutonia you're not even a real man.

This is a terrible post.

Is he right?

Personally I really enjoyed Doom 3 since it was supposed to be scary but I just acted like doomguy anyway. It's satisfying being able to give a jump scare a buckshot to the face.

Also the soul cube is my waifu.

For all the people talk about Doom 4, Doom 3 is fucking worse in every god damn aspect.

So much so that I'm willing to bet that the hate for "nuDoom" as you faggots like to call it is just the same old hipster bullshit that's been going on for a couple years now where people hate things just because its Bethesda or just because its new and might be popular.

I say this because I remember when Doom 3 was coming out. The jokes were usually along the lines of how much power it needed to run because it was apparently so graphically intense (for the time) and the ONLY complaint was the bullshit of needing to switch between flashlight and gun.

None of the "criticisms" levied at Doom 4 (nuDoom) were ever thrown at Doom 3 when Doom 3 is so fucking out of the way of any bit or piece of the Doom play style and formula that it is only a Doom game in name alone.

I'm not mad, but I'm just trying to put this shit in perspective here. For all of you that realize the flaws and shitty things about Doom 3 when it comes to being a Doom game then I applaud you. Anyone who says they like it or it might be better than Doom 4, go take some 9mm aspirin to the head so you can stop shitting up the hobby I love with your autism.

It's pretty bad. Towards the end some of the fights start to feel okayish when you're fighting more than one or two imps at a time, but then the game ends.

Some of the factory type levels look nice with the mechanical stuff moving around and the lighting can be nice. That's when there are lights.

Even with the annoying glory kills, Doom 4 is still a MUCH better game. Doom 3 is just boring. The graphics are ABSOLUTELY SWELL, but gameplay is meh as fuck. There's barely any room to strafe around in Doom 3, and you can't see shit unless you use a flashlight mod. Even Painkiller and Dredd vs Death managed to be more fun.

Not action-y enough to be a Doom game, not scary enough to be a horror game. I still like it more than system shock 2 tbh tho.

who is this guy again?

Perplexed Burrito

Why the fuck not?

The post that comes before this gives it a completely different context.

Seven Buck Chuck