Clearing games 100%

I wanted to have a discussion about what kind of 100% criteria there are in games and what games are worth getting 100% in, particularly since I am planning on replaying a bunch of games I enjoyed but didn't 100%.

Pic related - Spyro 1 and 2 I only did the bare minimum to complete, but I did 100% spyro 3. How much additional content does 100%ing these games give vs an any% ??

Mario 64 is a good example that can be easily quantified. 70 stars is required to complete it, but 120 is required to 100% it.

Old school FPS games like Quake had a hidden level in each of the 4 episodes. Finding and playing them was great.

Some games however, like Assassins creed, have huge amounts of filler content that amount to just being a collectathon and don't add much to the experience.

So, what good games are worth playing to 100% and what games have huge (non-filler and worthwhile) amounts of additional content from an any% to full 100% playthrough?

Spyro 2 has the super-flame upgrade available constantly for 100%, and if you get a certain fraction close to 100%, you unlock Dragon Shores.

The Etrian Odyssey series is pretty good for 100%
There is also Baroque which you don't really need to 100% but doing so gives you more background and story.
DMC 1,3 and 4 are top tier for 100% because you keep unlocking more and more shit as you complete it.

100% the first spyro you get gnorc's treasure trove to fly about in with loads of loot

100% the second one you get infinite fireball breath and dragon shores

in general the best games to 100% and feel satisfied in are RPG's with superbosses in as defeating something that is supremely overpowered puts a nice full stop on the game and you never desire to play it again, every final fantasy after VI does this well until XIII.

Collectathons are good for 100% runs like super mario 64, banjo, and an underrated collectathon worth completing is the dumb gex game on ps1

worst ones are the ones that require you to backtrack like a fucking retard
eg banjo kazooie

the best ones are obviously the ones that give you shitloads of content at the end and its pretty good
like super mario 3d world

Platformers that show progress % are very tempting to 100%. A reward like extra levels in Spyro 3 or a hidden boss like in DKC, or just a simple cinematic is pretty satisfying.

If it involves autistically collecting everything in the game, I tend to do it if I still feel like playing the game after beating it.

Pretty sure in Spyro 1 and 3 you can reach 120% completion from the bonus worlds, while with Spyro 2 at 100% you get a permanent superflame as a reward, which you can take to a new save file.

the first gex is a pain in the ass to 100%

Nice, although is it worth replaying the entire game for an extra 5% worth of content?

I'm too casual at RPGs to beat things like ultima weapon.

You mean Tooie right? BK had limited backtracking.

Extra levels is definitely what I'm getting at. Super meat boy is so generous it gives you a dark version of every level if you can beat it in under a certain time.

It's a bit of a catch 22, since it's generally easier to try and do everything you can initially so you don't have to later.

Just remembered another good one - SpaceChem, which is an awesome puzzle game. I beat the main campaign and thought nothing of it. Eventually realised there is an entire load of extra content with something like triple the campaign levels, all high quality and with new game mechanics. Am playing through it right now.

You also have games like Ninja Gaiden Black and DMC that unlock new difficulties after each subsequent playthrough, which is cool.

Not sure how much Newgame+ modes count though. Demon's/Dark souls have this, but it's generally just boosted enemy stats.

As much as people like to shit on Wrath of Cortex, it was the first Crash game that didn't require players to do nonsensical shit like jumping into a random fucking hole or deliberately running into an obstacle in autoscrollers in order to get 100%

I just remembered that Ratchet and Clank 2, 3 and ACiT offer "the Insomniac Museum" which are a reoccourung type of level that shows off the dev process of the games, as well as shit that didn't quite make the cut. Whilst these areas are 100% bonuses, you can get into them early using glitches.

REmake has this note, and concept art for costumes that didnt make it to the game.

3D free roam games usually are the ones that I even bother trying 100%/110%/120%

fuck pure 2d/2.5d platformers doing that shit, crash was never worth it compared to abe, neverhood or skullmonkeys , especially in the 1st one when you could just enter in the cheatcode

3D freeroam/adventure gameplay usually evolves around exploration and the only way to reward the player thats intuitive to gameplay is crap to collect (or an easter egg) and for 100% stuff things like bonus rooms and cutscenes setoff my monkey brain, developer notes and concept art is kinda lame for a reward for completion, its better as an actual hidden item or something

if its an action game that doesnt focus on collection perse, then the game just has to be fun to anyone to bother, fortunately almost only games that bother pulling that crap actually are fun (DMC, Vanquish platinum games, shadow of the collussus etc etc)

it just cant be giant fucking boring chore that adds almost 50% of the possible gameplay, I cant be bothered to 100% super mario 64 or any Ubisoft game (theyre almost all the same "climb this tower to reveal the map" bullshit) outside of loot like weapons

Mario 64 100% doesn't have that much filler though, most of the stars are interesting enough to do this. You're missing out on like 40% of the game by not 100%ing it.

Spyro on the other hand seems like you're basically 95% done just playing through any%

The only game I've ever 100% in was Castlevania Aria of Sorrow, and that was only because I liked doing challenge runs with shitty weapons and souls

Crash Bandicoot 2 was my first game I ever played, age 4. I 100%ed it for the first time a few years ago. It felt like an ending was finally written into a long unfinished book.

If I manage to finish a game and made it clear 100%able, the player would probably get a letter from the developer saying how they've reached the furthest and saddest point in the game, since now there's nothing left to do. Or something gay like that

collecting coins is not worth it

There are 15 red coin stars and 15 100 coin stars. I could beat the game with the minimum of 70 stars, including 30 stars that were coin stars.

That leaves 50 stars, none of which are coin stars.

Even if I didn't do any coin stars to get 70, it still leaves 20 non-coin stars to do…

Hell, it's possible to get 70 stars without visiting 7 of the 15 worlds at all.

Perfect Dark has:

And if you're playing the Xbox360 HD remake, then you can add

It's not actually a glitch, but if you set your date and time to some specific time and then get to a place quickly there will be a portal to those museums too.

Honestly I loved those. I wish more games had these really cool secret areas with super powerups or concept art and unfinished things that never made it into the game, EXCEPT YOU CAN ACTUALLY USE IT.
It really gives off the impression that the devs cared.

Also are there any recent collectathons or is it a dead genre now? As much as I enjoy speedrunning high difficulty platformers indie games seem to keep making more of I've gotta I say I like collectathons much more.

outside playtonic's project and anton & Coolpecker the collect-a-thon genre is long dead mate

damn
I honestly don't have much hope for Anton and Coolpecker, but agdg gave us Megabyte punch so there might be some chance it'll be good

Wait what about that thing with a little girl in a top hat? I forgot what it was called, or is that not a collectathon?

Why are collectathons considered a bad thing, again? I remember nuts and bolts going HUR HUR FUCK'N POINTLESS COLLECTIBLES AMIRITE

you mean getting all the achievements which is usually impossible since they're too hard.

Crash 3 with all platinum relics

Achievements can be done well. See:

All of these were fun to 100%.

Go beat all three Spyro games 100%. They all have secret levels that are really cool. Plus, they're fucking good games and worth beating regardless.

Crash 2 is easy to figure out. The secret level warps are well hidden but not "random." I managed to find them all when I was a kid. There are clues for all of them. My favorite is a stack of nitros that doesn't "pop" like other nitros do, indicating you can walk on it.

Crash 3 does have those two super secret levels, which I only stumbled upon by sheer luck when I was a kid, and I really don't see how you could ever guess the one for level 32. But now I like to think it was some sort of Cheetahmen reference. And I don't think you need the super secret levels to get the final gem from Coco, anyway. You just need 30 Gold/Platinum Relics and 42 gems, I think. Crash 2 only had 42 gems total so you'd never even know about those other two levels until you find them.

You don't need to use glitches to get into the Museum. There are just secret ways to do it, like going to specific places at specific times (judging from the PS2's internal clock). You can tell where to stand because it's in front of a giant clock tower that shows the RL time. But good luck finding the time you're supposed to stand in front of it.

Crash isn't about "collecting." You get gems and shit but they're just tokens to show you got good at the level. So get good, faggot.

I'm pretty sure in at least one of the Spyro games you can literally skip an entire world if you collect enough shit before getting to it. So go ahead, skip an entire world if you want. You're only cheating yourself out of an awesome game. You're like the fags who use the Warp Whistle in Mario 3 and then brag about beating the game, despite skipping like 90% of it.

It took me 15 years to do this. Felt like the greatest accomplishment of my life except beating Oxide's ghost in every level of CTR. Last month I went back and did Crash 3 again, all platinum relics, in a couple days of casual playing. Felt like I had superpowers.

I don't want to replay an entire game I enjoyed for 5% extra content when i have a massive backlog of games that are better or that I haven't played before.

Is this for the HD port or the Gamecube version?

I wouldn't say tooie had backtracking but more designed to be like Metroid. Get a new power, you realize you can unlock something new in a previous area. Eventually you unlock tons of short cuts and all the levels connect. Back tracking would be having to go back and forth through the same hallways again and again.

If you're talking about Spyro, you probably missed a good deal more than 5% of the content if you literally just went to the end as soon as you can. You don't have to even enter a good number of levels in order to see the credits.

Also, all those other games are probably shit compared to Spyro.

Zelda: Collect 100% of items, but keep the Game Over counter on your save file at 000 (even though Link's Awakening is the only one in the series that acknowledges a successful no-death run).

Pokémon: Talk to / defeat every NPC, pick up every item in the overworld, and have at least one of every item in your inventory. Maybe see everything in the pokédex or unlock the Trainer Card stars, if you can be bothered.

Kirby: Collect and complete the main part of the game, unlock the ball-bustingly-hard secret challenges, and deliberately complete them with the worst possible Copy Ability.