Games that haven't aged well

The default controls in pic related are unintuitive and basically garbage by today's standards.

Check out the port of Perfect Dark for the 360.
It features improved lightning, actually good controls, the japanese MC model, high res textures, 720p or 1080p and 60fps. As well as xbox live support.

Controls are the only thing that can be considered 'aged', but even then they were hardly considered good for their time. The N64 is the worst for this.

Every Unreal 3 game but it never looked good to begin with.

that's the thing that ruin this port.
Lights are always blinding you and the multiplayer had some retarded changes (head categories have to be the same than your body for example).

Perfect Dark is still god-tier even today.

anything from Bioware really

If you are still interested in playing it today, you can emulate it on PC and configure it to use mouse controls.

It works pretty well. Same for perfect dark but that game has absurd framerate problems making mouse aim completely useless.

spiderman 2. every thing but the webs, they really need to put spiderman 2 webs in the ps4 spiderman game

then use the dual analog option OP, it's existed since launch.

Most of the N64 games people accuse of controlling badly actually have better control schemes available, if you just take a moment to visit the options menu.

There's none for Golden Eye.

The main reason Goldeneye is good is the level design, which can't really age.

The controls are absolute ass, though. That kinda ruins it.

Ther is, but they are as retarded as using the default
There was a twin stick option, i which you had to use 2 controllers at the same time
It may have been a pseudo-multiplayer game to joke with a friend, but as a resolute option for enjoying yourself, that was gay as fuck, unless Nintendo planned a normal human being controller

They don't bother me after playing it for years. There isn't any point in the game where the controls can severely hamper you, Perfect Dark is another story.

Sorry, I meant that Goldeneye has no better control scheme.

Is there a way to use mouse & keyboard for it on an emulator?

FPS games on the PS2/GCN haven't done well on controls either.

I'm not seeing how they differ from modern console shooters. Obviously Mouse and keyboard is better, but playing an FPS on a console now doesn't feel any better than playing Timesplitters did.

it was where conventions were almost set into place, which coincidentally made them even worse once a game stepped out of said conventions

and i forgot one crucial thing:

Timesplitters had a really sensitive camera, it made me wish it was on PC since everything else about it is fantastic, and it still runs smoothly.

Even in the "HD release" version, the controls are fucked despite being "modernised".

I just ended up strafing and timing my shot with when the crosshair went over an enemy as opposed to using the right thumbstick.

The AI is ass, but I don't see anything else about the game that hasn't aged well.

looks like pic related

Also"

Shit, that game even had a Dreamcast version.

I'm assuming the game still had the ludicrous auto aim that locked right onto the enemy's head as soon as you saw him?

But yeah, the AI's reflexes are fucked, I still have nightmares about the mission with the hostages in the bank vault.

I could never get my creatures to look anything like that.

They'd grow up a bit but then that was it.

The same notion applies to a lot of older 'sim' type games on PC. Outside of scenario play/cheats, SimCity 2000 is pretty boring.

It's campaign is tedious as fuck due to hardware limitations at the time.

It's still a lot of fun but it's certainly not as good as it was at the time.

I believe 2 technically is, now. As an easter egg found in that new Homefront game anyway. Or the single player portion of 2 rather.

A few games using it looked good but yeah, the vast majority looked like everything was made of plastic with vaseline smeared all over it.

its problems have little to do with age and more like it was rushed as fuck and bungie wasn't used to working in that sort of environment. Halo 2 was also rushed as fuck, and exhibits some of the same issues but much better approached and as such despite some repeated map designs it manages to be a far more enjoyable game due to smart encounter planning.

Halo 1 has some excellent levels, but also some terrible ones.

Star Control 2. Few games have come close to replicating the space opera captain feeling like that game did, but compared even to games from a few years later, it's extremely clunky.

I actually disagree with the first two, there aren't a lot of enemies or weapons but each of them feel very different from the others, and I think you'd have a hard time listing shooters that have more variety between their weapons/enemies than Halo.

Please try and prove me wrong though I'd really like to discover more shooters with good weapon/enemy variety.

People always blame engines for this shit but that is almost never the problem. The problem is lazy ass devs that don't bother changing any of the shaders (which is easy as fuck compared to actual art shit). There are few exceptions, like how Source is somewhat notorious for being a pain in the ass to tweak.

But you can see some super varied looking games in UE, note that Borderlands was made on it which obviously looks very different from other games and has very well done shading.

quake is an excellent example, but honestly halo is one of the best around. What makes it work so well is the enemy ai actually have chemistry with one another.

That's good to hear because I just downloaded Quack 1 last night.

You disappoint me Holla Forums.

What? Am I going to have to buy a Homefront game? What are you talking about?

Shit, this is hilarious.

I remember one user posted a similar one but it was with a chink. Can't remember the game, tho.

No you're right, user
Morrowind doesnt follow the rules it clearly states at the beginning of the game

At least the Skyrim guards will defend you from bandits

that character model still holds up to this day

Ultima not only didn't age well, but it looked like absolute shit even when it was brand new back in 1981. Oregon Trail had better graphics! It sucked that we had to wait almost 20 years dealing with shit like this until the late 90s when cd-quality sound and 1024x768 was standard. Then you could actually see and hear what the fuck was going on in an isometric RPG.

correct me if i'm wrong but didn't goldeneye have multiple hitboxes on character models and you could even shoot their hats off or their guns out of their hands? for some reason i remember that

i can't believe that didn't become a fucking standard considering the universal "nostalgia" for that game

KoF 98 is one of the best games out there, but it's really fugly to look at. Honestly, most of the KoF games and SNK fighters didn't age well at all (94 is really unplayable).

Yeah there were hit locale boxes for differentiating damage calculations and injured animations. You couldn't shoot guns out of their hands though they would drop them when they died. In Perfect Dark could shoot guns out of their hands, and due to years of playing GoldenEye I thought that meant they were dead, but then the fuckers would run over, pick their gun up again and go for round two. Took a bit for me to unlearn that.

thought so, its a bummer how uncommon that feels, max payne 3 was on to something but rockstar pissed that away pretty fucking fast

This is kind of sadistic but with modern tech those violent games could be fucking horrific and it'd be awesome. Even the average consumer would love it. There's no reason not to have blood and skull fragment physics at this point in time.

Yeah

*brain and skull

All timesplitter games have the option of using right analog to control camera and left analog to move. It just isn't the default option.

Quake has less weapon variety than Halo

IRON GET

TLOU although mediocre had good gore on the "realistic" side, a shotgun blast to the abdomen would expose organs and the amount of damage done to the model actually varied by the caliber and type of weapon used, it was pretty cool but i would much rather see that in a more pure shooter, after finishing a zone the area should look like a bomb exploded in a densely populated morgue not just a few piddly models that fall over and disappear

Sera is one of those jokes that never gets old.

I remember one of them working alright. I think it was the second option?

Yeah, I didn't play Goldeneye for the first time until 2012, but once I got used to whichever control scheme it was that I used, it worked fine.

Thief

Everything on Sony consoles aged like shit, even when emulating at 8k, they cut a lot of corners to make games run on their shitty consoles

Rainbow Six

This is the kinda shit that makes Holla Forums need some kind of double spoilers

I know that you were in the nostalgia thread you fucking faggot and you got triggered when someone said that that Goldeneye was a good game.

You guys do realize that you can set the controls to a more modern layout, right? In fact, why would use those horrendous default controls?

Controller setting 1.2. Sets the dpad and c-buttons as movement and the analog stick to camera. Do you people not fucking experiment with the controls at all?

I take it you haven't played any of the Dead Island or Dying Light games? Tons of gore.

Doom.

I think Frontline is still one of the best looking games on the PS2.

Timesplitters devs made Homefront 2 after being Crytek refused to pay wages, it's honestly sad how much these devs got shat on just because they wanted to make video games.

Is it on PC? I hear its on consoles but I never heard anything about that easter egg on PC. As for that easter egg, it's more sad since the devs clearly have the license but I guess they don't have the money or resources to port it to PC. If they were to flat out do a basic HD version I'd buy it day one, because the devs have a lot of talent.