SS13 - Space Station 13

Deader Than Hate Edition

What is Space Station 13?
pastebin.com/xQB9L74c

You can download the BYOND client or join our server directly from your web browser to play. The web client is presently unreliable, and we recommend the latest BYOND client for the best experience possible. The BYOND client is presently compiled for Windows only, though it is compatible with WINE. You will need a BYOND account to connect to our server.

Client download: byond.com/download/

Web client: byond.com/play/embed/74.91.121.114:7777

NewStation
byond://74.91.121.114:7777
Tickrate - 0.6 // Random Names ON

8station.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page

github.com/BigSlice/-tg-station

DESIGNATED
E
S
I
G
N
A
T
E
D
play sessions are every Sunday at 4 PM EST.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/FNgyH23a
dramatica-station.wikia.com/wiki/Bans
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Where did it go wrong? Why is it so dead? Is it because we need coders to make the game fresh or something? Burn out? The Gitgud dramafest?
All I just wanted to do was play space men with fellow anons without the bullshit.

>Antag+ling chemist, dead server so go to atmos and set up incinerator for power
>This time, I found the captain braindead in the supply room, security hardsuit, and armed for the situation, the station is fucking ruined

Feels okay.

That feel when your not autistic enough to deal with the crude graphics, terrible lag and unresponsiveness, the beyond launcher, and the memorization of all the keys and how to play.

I hope that one day we can have a 3d space station 13 that runs smoothly and looks ok, that would be nice.

There were numerous attempts at that shit, but they never got made.
The Doom one was pretty cool.

user…

After the shills finally quit a lot of players just stopped coming to the server regularly, as if their presence in the background/threads kept the game enjoyable. Also, Merege disappeared.

Well, besides all that shit, it's the obvious fact that we are not as much people on this board as halfchan.
While that's good in some aspects, it also means that inevitably we won't have enough people for some activities outside the board. That's the reason everytime someone wants to play a round of, i don't know, CS, AoS, Diablo, this game, etc, you're lucky if you somehow manage to get….half the capacity or the server, or we end up restricted to "play sessions" on a certain hour, while halfchan always have enough retards on to at least make a populated round, instead of only 4 idiots in the entire station.
So, with that already fragile situation, some idiots came and ruined it.

just keep trying bitch nigger

I got it on the first try, and then I was hooked

third try* fuck

1200% the gitgud shitfest. You have a constantly decreasing userbase that alerts other people to stay away, what do you expect to happen? The server is "Holla Forums server" after all, so even another branch will be treated the same.

What are you talking about? Everything about what you posted is great news for everyone!
All those coders where clearly gooncucks, now that they are gone, WE can code everything we want! Isn't that great?
And Gitgud dramafest was just a warning for newer players, don't you see? Now that he is gone, everything is gonna be alright. He was the problem and now that he is gone, everything is wonderfull.

See? This guy has the right idea! You have a declining playerbase for the server, so what do you do? You shitpost loudly enough about how bad the servers really are and make sure absolutely nobody ever joins the server! That solved the problem (i.e. gitgud) really fast, didn't? Which shouldn't be a surprise, since that's how we do things around here and it has worked flawlessly all the other times too!

I mean, there was some faggot that started a new server and that MAY have divived a playerbase that wasn't enough to fill a single server anyway, but let's be honest. That's negligible compared to the shitpostwarnings in the thread, that was the real solution.

So just relax, nigga. Now we can do the game WE want, with all the features we want to code and all the rules we like. I'm sure with time we can even have no admins online, seeing how Bigslice leaves the server unattended for a long time. He even just recruited a single person because he understands how important freedom for the server really is.

t. gitgud

So I'm fucking around as Shaft Miner and I'm having some issues.

The wiki says the helmet is attached to the suit so I can breath in space but I don't see the helmet on my sprite. Is that a bug or am I doing something wrong? I mean it's working I'm just curious because it's kind of awkward being out in space with no helmet on.

Why is there no backpacks and why a I not spawning with one? My character setup is saved to spawn with one. I'm ending up having to get a dufflebag from the dorms because there's no backpacks there either.

Also where are the Resonator and the PKA for mining. I can't find them anywhere despite reading their location on the wiki.

Never mind on the 3rd one. I figured out where to put my voucher.

Put on the suit and a button will appear on the top left of the screen, press it to toggle the helmet on.
I've never heard of the backpack bug before.

Absolutely correct, how did you know?
I'm also Turbo and PuppySky. Also Honkette for good measure and Bokubonsai because why the hell not?

Really, this is exactly what this thread and the game needs: more scapegoats and Holla Forums memes.
I'm sure that if we can blame all our problems on a single person and then meme him out, everything will be fine afterwards!
It's simply historing repeating itself anyway and when has this strategy ever failed us all?

You should have a backpack spawning in the miner's locker in Cargo as well. Check your character preferences and maybe pick a satchel instead to try it.

Oh there we go. Thanks user.

Yea I found it. Shame I can't just spawn with one for some reason.

Ok.

is there a full list of keyboard shortcuts?

Maybe?
Like you can press O to OOC chat, but then it gives you a popup window which is shitty, because if you have to cancel out of it you have to retype everything. If you instead use tab to switch between typing and hotkey mode, you can leave a half-finished message, robust someone, then go back to typing.

Honestly I only ever really use WASD, tab, and X for swap, E for equip, and Q to drop

Yeah, that's what I'm saying.
That guy was THE ONLY reason the server was bad. There was literally nothing else that was terrible and everyone else was just a great guy, beautifull community.
Now that he is gone, though? It's sunshine from now on!
I'm sure we have a lot of new players that all rushed to the server once they heard that guy is no longer here and the coders have actually added something new and fun to the game and connection is better than ever and no /tg/ code fuckery either! So, what are we looking at here?

There's a Help command or something that shows you all the hotkeys and I think it's even a button on top of the commands tabs.
You can also just ask in OOC, anyone can tell you about the hotkeys.

Just use Hotkey mode for WASD movement. Shift-Click to examine, Ctrl-Click to start\stop dragging things, Alt-Click to see what's in a tile with a neat list, what the other poster said about X, E and Q but also Z to activate your currently held item, F to cycle between Intents and R to start throwing things.
It's all fairly straightforward :^)

i wanted space law and order. i got space urban chaos

And this is why your disappearing from the server is literally the greatest thing that has happened to the community bar none.

Does anyone know any ways to consistently fuck with stations? Me and a m8 have been trying a ton of shit on yog but we always get bwoinked or memed by kids as sec.
Here's what we've tried so far and the results:

Can any server admins tell me how omnipotent admins are exactly? What can they see? What can't they see? If I change my name by wearing someone else's ID, am I immune to their gaze? Do they know EVERYTHING that I have done including stuff I've picked up/built/dropped?

I think that flamethrowers don't get logged.

pastebin.com/FNgyH23a

Logs always record the user's Ckey alongside their player's name, and left clicking any player gives adm8ns the option to display the character's related variables. This shows the admin what your character's name is, your Ckey, your entire inventory, the name and ckey of any player who has interacted with you, the name and ckey of any player you have interactrd with, any drugs in your system as well as addictions, and every bit of damage on your character. These are just the values admins can access at a glance, the var menu shoes everything about you. So no, wearing another ID won't save you.

You told me not to test the welderbomb in the library, despite there being 3 people on in total.
Then you took all the fucking radios and shit I had, buggered off and quit

Annoying.

Some things don't even have IDs, like Wizards.
Seriously man, cmon

What if you made a proximity grenade or something? Does that get logged if you left it laying around and someone else trips it? I know explosions are logged… You might also be able to drag welder tanks nearby in that case, too.

Rules are never followed.
People find excuses to murderbone.
There are people who play using TS.
There are people who meta grudge or help based on past games.

Yeah, I know. Now that I'm gone, I bet everything is amazing. I'm not even joining the servers for fear of screwing things up because I just know everything is A-Okay now.
If only I knew that leaving was the only thing needed to make the server great again!

The word you are looking for is omniscient.
It's nothing to do with admins but rather with tools that are given according to rank, the tools are what matters.

There's an attack log for the entire server that logs every attack you make on another player (and this includes hitting them with thrown objects which also includes bullets).
During a round, an Admin can also see in your vars a log for the current round showing who attacked you and who you attacked, by chronological order.
This is why the "he attacked me first!" shit doesn't fly.

There's also a log for explosions. Pretty much every simple thing with ex_act has a line to log itself, it's coordinates and who did it in that log. For reference, whenever a player makes a bomb and detonates it with a remote detonator, the log says who held the bomb last, who used the detonator, who made the bomb, who made the assembly, the location of the bomb, it's sizes and time.
This is why Tzentch story about "I swear, I lost my 7th bomb in a row and for the 7th time, someone completely at random found it in a locker in maintenance and knew the code!" didn't fly either.

There's also a log for other miscellaneous shit. You mess with the PA, it logs your account and what you did with it. You shutdown power in Engineering to release the singularity, you're logged too. There's a few other miscellaneous crap as well, generally for wide destruction too, like welder bombs.

Keep in mind however that all of these measures were implemented because someone abused them hard enough to actually become a problem for everyone else. They came out of necessity, not just carebear attitude. If you do something that's not on that list and actually become a problem, expect a "fix" soon.
Goons for instance made some very specific chemical mixes log you as well (and explode on your face) because of shit chemists, for instance.

This is also why I often urge people to not abuse exploits. We could still have the crusher infinite ore bug if there wasn't a cunt that, for several rounds in a row, kept making uranium floors and diamond walls just to prove he could.

If people were willing to admit there are problems with the server there wouldn't be a problem.

The problem is a few repeat players who play at the expense of others, ignoring rules, co-coordinating on TS or mumble or using dank memes as an excuse to murder-bone or grief despite not being antag or the clown.

Also many many many people are taking jobs they are not qualified for, its getting as bad as hippie like when I asked HOS to open sec cargo box and he didn't understand what I meant.

Ow virology is busted might as well fix it
Such is life in the zone

Nothing wrong with meta-communication among friends unless they actually use it for shady shit
It's one thing to comment about a silly clown, it's another to talk about where your body is.

Guess what they do when they are banned…

This is exactly whats happening.
I ended up killing someone for trespassing into sec and unable to brig him do to wacky station hijinks.

I end up killing him in a hallway devoid of light, I end up leaving him there.

I go into medi to find a syndi.
After a brief fight I emerge the winner and start to kill the syndi on the ground.

Turns out the syndi was actually cloning and reviving a civi despite him having no reason to do so.
The civi then attacked me for attacking the syndi.

So in short.

You make it sound as if meta-communication during a round gets used for anything other than shady shit. You're either supremely naive or a Kyron/Koriath level idiot.
It's nearly impossible to tell whether or not meta-communication is being used improperly like coordinating movements or for something legit like helping to teach a new player the ropes. That's why it's not allowed.

And that's why Hate got stickybans.
Whenever someone does something that resembles metagaming, that forces an admin to watch him for a round or two.
that's up to 2 hours of watching a single guy. More if he had partners (that he obyously had).

It's tedious as shit, and cuts down on the rest of the actual admin work. That's why metagaming was handled with perma-sticky-bans.

The problem with communication is that the game has to foster a feeling of isolation and paranoia for the roleplaying to be effective. It breaks the immersion.

But that's debateable; the biggest problem is the metashittery that comes with it. Using it to teach new players the game isn't a problem, but since we're hemorrhaging players, we don't have new players to teach, so it IS going to be for shitter purposes

Stickybans don't do shit. dramatica-station.wikia.com/wiki/Bans

I haven't personally been playing much primarily because of the gitgud dramafest causing me to burn out.
So I'd put my money on that.
Planning to drop by again tonight, though. We'll see how that goes.

kek
Here's a hint pal: if you know how to bypass stickybans, don't post it online.
That method and a bunch of others got patched when some retard decided to "share" them with the class.

Wouldn't sharing the techniques so they can be patched improve the overall quality of the game/community, since it would mean shitters can actually be held accountable?

It wouldn't badmins of course, but it would reduce toxic players

They are rarely shared for that purpose though… Just some idiot trying to score brownie points for knowing more than the average player and acting smug with that knowledge.
He could keep it to himself and use it for far longer but how is he gonna feel superior to everyone else if he can't brag about it?

It doesn't matter what the intent was, only that they were shared openly, no?

No.
See that wiki link above? That's a wiki to be shared among assholes. It's obviously eventually gonna be found by a coder that will fix that shit but until then, whatever havock is cause by faggots using whatever method is described there are all on that.

If the idea was to improve the servers, the technique would be shared with the coders and only the coders so they could fix it as fast as possible and the number of people that abused the bug was kept to a minimun where as, pages like that exist for the exact oposite: so coders take as long as possible to fix the issue while the maximum number of people possible uses it in the meantime.

The only fun or usefull thing about it is to have a few retards that think that shit still works and act like gigantic faggots only to cry for weeks afterwards for an unban.

is the .dll a virus, and does it actually still work with /tg/station?

It will give all your byond details to goons, but yeah I think it works

There's several .dll's floating around the internet.
You have a 60% chance to get the botnet one, in which case yes it does work, but you're part of the botnet now.
The other 40% aren't actively mantained. It's usually just a CID randomizer that stops working every 2 or 3 months.

Ban evading tools work a lot like aimbotting tools. If you ever played TF2 or CS, you know the drill. Every couple of months, LMAO box or one of it's variations gets an update and works.
a few thousand dickwads get it (some even pay for it, lol) get on servers, ruin the game for the rest of the playerbase while being obvious as fuck (it's starting to happen in Overwatch too, but killcams are hilariously good at spotting that shit) and then several servers empty out when people notice a cheater on the other team, leaving only the 15 year olds to play with the cheater, since they don't know how to recognize clear aimbotting.

Give or take 3-4 weeks, VAC gets an update and there's a mass ban of 1000's of accounts.
Then it repeats.

It's a dumb cat&mouse chase and all it produces is a couple of weeks where you can't actually play a game because someone figured his FUN is more important than yours.

Doesn't change the fact that stickybans can be avoided by deleting files off your computer before the other steps, the only thing that's changed is what files need to be deleted. It also doesn't change why people ban evade, or the flawed logic behind implementing stickybans.

There's two reasons players banevade:

On the first, the player should stay banned. Banevading just means one angry idiot is coming to play, angry at everyone and grief up the place. IF it's a server with 40 players, that's 40 people who don't want to deal with his shit.

If it's the former, you can banevade to keep playing anyway, sure. But if the admin is a faggot, he'll keep banning worthwhile players and leaving shitters on the station. Shitty admins foster shitty playerbases.
In which case, why would you banevade anyway? Subjecting yourself to playing with a group you didn't like is moronic. Even with the purpose of trolling, you're better off finding a group you actually enjoy playing with.

Those two reasons are not half and half. Around 20% of bans are because the player wanted to cause shit, but the rest are admin fuckery. Anyone whose played for a length of time knows that admins are one of the biggest reasons servers are shit, but people seem to want stickybans, as if giving admins more power was a good idea.
Every server with enough players to keep rounds going has at least one or two shitty admins, it's unavoidable. We need better gameplay mechanics to keep shittery down and less admin intervention.

But I just want to play back on /tg/station, it's a shit server but there are fun rounds. I just can't handle playing on Newstation where there's only like 3 people at most that are on the server.

I think you are being far too optimistic and generous here. You're seriously understimating the amount of shit players there really are. It's more likely the other way around with only 20% or even less being admin shittery, even counting Colonial Marines.

You need another blobstation, mate? Maybe another spare station, or even newstation when BigSlice was the only admin and didn't bother to show up?
Are you really this fast to forget what happens when admins aren't present at all? Players fuck up servers far harder than an admin can and it's even worse since they aren't accounted to any standard or responsability except by admins that nobody trusts anyway.

You wanna bitch about stickybans and how they are a bad idea? Let me tell you what sparestation was during it's short life: there was a player metagaming with another dude that consistently fucked the game for everyone just because ruining the game was fun for him. And everytime he was banned, a few minutes later, an alt showed up. Assuming there was even an admin online, of course.
Come the day of stickybans being implemented on that station and what happens is that in the span of 30 minutes, about 10 or 15 new accounts are automatically banned. And for the first time there, some people actually had fun for once.

So get fucked, you and your "down with the system" attitude. It reeks of 15 years old anarchist. Because every server I've seen with "no admins/lax rules" always ended up a grief fest and died when everyone moved on to actually moderated servers.

Wanna hear a funny story?
There was a player that was trying to convince us some admin banned him from a server because he shaved his girlfriend's character hair in-game.
Turns out what happened was that he was going around as a Sec Officer stunning people and cutting their hair. He was asked to stop doing that shit and told the admin to "fuck off".
Don't believe everything the admins say, but don't believe everything the players say either. Everyone is shit and everyone will always lie their ass off to get approval and validation from as many people as they can.

This nig should be an admin.

Fucking swear the fucker came here.

You're the one underestimating the amount of shitty admins the plague this game.
Actually I remember what happened when all the admins fucked off of hatestation for a week. They were some of the best rounds I've ever had. The clown banging on medbay windows for 5 minutes? Knock him out and throw him into the incinerator. Greytide breaking all the windows around the station? Fry him and send his body into space. Basically all rounds I played were grief free cause we could get rid of shitlers without admins being double niggers.
Yes, the one time it was useful compared to every other time where admins use it to reinforce there safe space.
Go kill yourself with your "admins dindu nuffin" attitude. Reeks of a 12 year old power hungry admin.
And which group has the power to enforce there will over the entire servers?

I'm perma'd from yog for saying "nigger".

No man, you committed murderbone three rounds in a row and tried to dox the admins. The players usually lie about how they were banned so don't even try to deny it. :^)

Even just helping someone knew is abuse, because it means people who pass you by near e.g. maint won't hear you communicate, AND you can't tell who's new or not so you can't exploit that as part of your plan as antag, for instance.

Refer to
Yog is filled with underage shitters who spent 1200$ on their "Yogmachine" if someone has the pic, please post it
Playing there in the first place was a mistake.
Continuing to play there is an even worse mistake.
Half the places you can visit on the internet have very strict rules about racism user. Even just saying nigger without a racist context evokes the wrath of the hotpocket. Don't like you're on a chan when you're not in one.

Funny you should say that.

I didn't said the game doesn't have a lot of shitty admins. It does. But I stand by my point: there are a lot more shitty players than shitty admins. And when both buttheads on a forum or a chan, all that comes out of it is shit because neither side can stand the other.
That's all anedoctal evidence. YOU managed to get rid of shittlers. And those are unprepared shittlers. You're forgetting the half-dozen times we've had greyshits armed with spears and stun guns on low-pop keeping the pop even lower for no reason. Often, a 7-player round turned into 3 player round because "lol I'mma throw a spear, it's your fault you're not prepared to defend yourself against spears all the time"

The alternative to having no admins is to be prepared for shitters all the time. And that means that I can't just be cook. I gotta break into the bar first, steal the shotung before they go, and then fuck off to make some shells that actually kill fuckers first. 10 minutes into the round, I'm finnaly ready to make some actual burgers.
That's not a game I want to play. That's TG. And folks here left that place for a reason.

Even the worst round we've had on firestation or newstation has been an order of magnitude better than the best round we've had on your garbage server and still you try to ignore reality and to replace it with your delusions. It would be absolutely hilarious if it weren't so pathetic.

Even if there are 5 shitters for every one badmin, it would still be better to have less admin intervention. Those 5 players will eventually be killed by better players, but the admins will stay till the server goes down. I'd even say that alot of these shitters are players fed up badmin antics.
Not to mention the chef has one of the best melee weapons on the station that isn't the fire axe.

Man, the point is that you shouldn't be prepareing for shitters in the first place.
Half the reason Security doesn't work is because everyone "prepares" for shitters, aka: they arm up.
And when everyone is armed, how can you tell traitor from crewmember.

Consider this: Sec guard enters a room, the chef is stabbing a guy already in crit. Neither of them had obvious traitor items.
What the fuck does the Sec guard do?
On a server where people didn't arm themselves up, the only people with weapons would be traitors and Sec officers. So it would be simple: is he armed? Is he an officer? Unless it's true on both, shoot him down.

Instead you get a parade of officers arresting the wrong guy and he ahelps for 30 minutes for the admins to ban the officer, or they arrest the right guy, but the right guy convices someone else to help him and you get one sec officer dealing with 4 people trying to murder him.

And the most common case is a sec officer stumbling into two non-traitors killing each other.
Who the hell do you arrest then?

I respect that some people want to play that sort of game. That's all well and good.
But that's not the sort of game I want to play, so I left the servers here. Because that's the sort of game people in Newstation wanted.
I still warned Bigslice that that's not the kind of playerbase that sustain itself overtime.
Look at the server now. If that playstyle is so great, why are there no players?

Not to mention, the "no admins, we get rid of shitters" doesn't help against multi-keying faggots. You kill a shitter, he swaps accounts and comes back.
Altstation had the multi-keying captain. One salty faggot who played anything, and whenever killed (even legitemely by a traitor) would multi-key, late-join as Captain or HoS and hunt down his murderer.
Tell me, how do the players handle that?

Thanks for displaying for everyone here how well you understand the game. It's really refreshing to see retards outright admit not only that they are retarded, but the extent to which they are.

People should prepare for anyone single person to attack them, whether it be shitters or traitors.

Stuncuff the chef and observe the crime scene. Did it take place in the kitchen? Is there a blood trail leading right up to the body? If no or yes respectively, search the cook. Ask the people around what happened. Just because your not the detective doesn't mean you can't observe the crime scene.
Again, observe the crime scene and ask around. If the only thing you can is 'two people were stabbing each other' then arrest them both. The good player won't get into any more trouble and the bad one will continue to get himself into shit.
I never said no admins, I said less of them. If the admin sees that someone is using multiple accounts, THEN he intervenes, because it is entirely out of the players hands.

Being honest m88 a LOT of players are shitters and blatantly metagame with eachother even if unintentional for example metagrudges that stem from one of them being a traitor say 10 rounds ago and the other guy being his target.
Or sometimes being metafriends or some times down right obvious metagaming where two players will move in perfect co-ordination without ever speaking a word to eachother in game.
Now there are obviously bad admins too I wont deny that, but in all seriousness there are loads of shit players that ruin rounds for others.
If you keep blaming admins and mods and ignore the amount of shit players you'll only convince others more of you being a shit player trying to shift the blame on to the mods and admins tbh familam.

I left /tg/ station because I was fed up of the erp and the blatant badminnery and player shittery, you'd wind up with 15 minute rounds just like on nox.

You know full well that on any moderately populated server the blood gets everywhere so fast that blood trails become worthless for telling you anything about the situation, especially in the kitchen where so often the entire floor becomes blood.

couldn't resist

Keep the peace.

This means stunning the chef and cuffing his ass ASAP, while also dropping an epipen into the critted person to keep them stable. He will call for an emergency med team to the kitchen, and while waiting for them to arrive, cuff the other body. Then, he will haul the chef off to holding for 5 mins while the other guy gets stabilized. Ideally he should be present while the locked cryo chamber heals him, so he can then interrogate the victim and the other guy one at a time.

honk honk

Too bad that game will never get made

I stopped weeks ago because I'm playing other things.
How are things? I remember there being around ~5 when things were slow

Now there are 3 people when things are a high.

not that guy, but once I said nigger and got instantly questioned by an admin
they have a trigger that instantly alerts an admin if you say the word, not even trolling

How would the radio work in a first person/3d version of spessman? How would the game be rebalanced to address not having a topdown view any more? Would there only be a single codebase? How would grabbing items work after, say, being stunned? Would you need to look down and pick your shit up before you can get moving again?

You really don't need to consider it for long to realise that the idea is pretty fucking shit, and would utterly dumb the game down at the very least.

Something like system shocks interface swings to mind.

You're right, you can't make an adaption without adapting things. What you can do, however, is make changes and completely disregard the "You've changed it so now it sucks!" autism.

I just don't see anyone going for a full reboot that isn't afraid to make changes to benefit the transition from 2d to 3d. If the devs trying and failing these revamps are just making inferior versions of the existing codebases, without taking into account the conflicts with the two differing design philosophies that they're going to be trying to use. In other words, 3d spess would only work with a sensible dev that has the balls to cut and add content from the base game, and not fixate on "hurr clown xD" faggotry.

is this still being worked on