Don't Move

Is this the most pretentious indie title yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com.au/search?q=dont move flash game&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=Vx57V9iqJ83u8wehpZHACA
stvr.itch.io/dont-move
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

As if it bears any resemblance to a real NES game.

I think this thing might be a joke to make game reviewers look like idiots.

What if it isn't?

No. This was the first.

Reminds me of run & jump.

Why the fuck do they throw an NES reference there in the title when it doesn't even feature proper sprite art. It looks more like a shitt Atari 5200 game.

Rock Simulator was a meme/joke game. This is not

Wasn't this a newgrounds game?
I remember it being a pretty funny newgrounds game? …from like 6 years ago.

So this is a paid version of the game "Don't shoot the puppy" except shit?

Don't you know, the NES was the first console to have pixel art.

Ok, I just tried looking for the game, and the only thing I found was a newgrounds account with this sprite art as it's avatar, and all it's flash submissions deleted.

I can guess what happened, but it doesn't explain why it would take so long for him to make a game he already finished.

Ludonarrative: A compound of ludology and narrative, refers to the intersection in a video game of ludic elements – or gameplay – and narrative elements.

So it's not really a game.

I'm pretty sure it was on newgrounds. I remember playing it and quit at the 5 minutes for the boring that it was.

google.com.au/search?q=dont move flash game&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=Vx57V9iqJ83u8wehpZHACA

Yep, it was a flash game alright.

So newgrounds fags are uploading their games bundled with a flashplayer.exe to Steam and asking money for them now?.

That's all I needed to know.

nvm.
Here;s a video of someone playing the flash game in 2014

I'm a retard

Yeah.

Now I remember why I drop it so fast, all you do is moving left of right without any real purpose. How much is he asking for it again?

It's $1.00 on itch.io

stvr.itch.io/dont-move

funnier when athf did it

But where's the fun?

Because indie devs don't actually give a fuck about shit like that they only know that other hipster gamers would buy it because the retro craze is still in.

Worked for Edmund McMillen with Binding of Isaac.

Oh, Super Meat Boy too. Pretty sure that was a Flash game with a built-in player.

This is concrete evidence we are trapped in the Berenstain hell universe.

The difference being that TBoI was/is actually good.

Actually, the original Meat Boy was a Newgrounds flash game while Super is a new engine made in C++.

There are Atari 2600 games with better, more appealing art. I'm not exaggerating in the slightest.

Holy shit nigger what????

This is a flash game. The whole shtick is not moving gave you money or something that you could purchase useless bullshit to change up the background a bit.

I think they've removed it from flash sites due to this release or something because I can't find it anymore.

Is Andy Warhol still alive and is he trying to make games, now?

And the original meat boy being better than SMB.

There's the Basement Collection, he added some extra shit though.

That's a bad thing.
Ludonarrative dissonance is when a game's story/narrative doesn't fit with the gameplay. Like when a game promotes peace but you're gunning down people constantly.

Maybe THIS is Frog Fractions 2?

Not necessarily a bad thing. I can see how toying with how the gameplay and the narrative interact with each other could create amusing results.
Not that it matters anymore since indie games that don't know what the fuck they're doing started taking the term and using it for whatever they feel like at the moment

It is only bad if you don't do it right, which is usually the case if it is not intentional. It's more commonly known as juxtaposition.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

You know, they say when game manages to achieve what it sets out to achieve, it is a good game.
This very thread is proof enough that this game achieved exactly what it wanted.
You could call it a good game in a sense.

This shit is not fucking video game, stop making threads about garbage and giving it attention it doesn't deserve holy fuck

Sounds like one of those data mining experiments from the way the game is described.

It's not the worst I've seen, but you can smell the reeking stench of a nu-male, avid Polygon reader through the screen.

Anyone know what movie this is from?

Home of the Brave

Why pay for a free game? It's literally free on the devs website.

so, what is the game about ?

I don't understand.

Finally, a game designed for people like me, where we can open it, alt-tab to our Tumblr and favourite subreddits, and then after a day of fighting for social justice and against evil Nazis, we can come back to the game to claim our victory.

pretentious games actually think that they are good (see: the usage of "ludonarrative dissonance" in OP's game). Rock Simulator absolutely knew that it was retarded and was marketed towards redditors that can't get enough mlg dorito videos.

Idle games have existed for a while though. Don't tell me you missed cookie clicker's time in the sun?

Never ever

What?

And remember, respect is everything!

It's like when the game tells you that you're rescuing the princess, but what you're actually doing is eating mushrooms and jumping on turtles.

When the story contradicts the gameplay.

Upside down Satan trips likely predicts it correctly.

I don't understand why the term Ludonarrative Dissonance even came into being. It's a needlessly complex word to describe something pretty simple. It's like it's only purpose is to be jargon.

I think the obnoxious thing isn't that the game is about narrative and gameplay clashing on purpose. In fact I think you could make an interesting game based on that idea. I'm not sure how this is even "Ludonarrative dissonance" is the title supposed to be the narrative? Or does the game just tell you "don't move" before it begins? Is that really a narrative? Of course you could argue it is, but it's so abstract it probably shouldn't be. The lazy 8-bit graphics and lack of any original or interesting imagery is just icing on the cake.

The game is a statement that fails to be interesting or engaging is what I'm saying.

Someone could make a proper full game about a narrative that meaningful contradicts the mechanics of it's game play and make it a real interesting mind fuck or jab at the concessions modern AAA games make and it could be good. Or hey in a really gameplay heavy game make the narrative super conflicting and nonsensical as a gag that could be entertaining.

As it stands this game is what a pseudo-intellectual thinks is engaging and thought provoking. Where anyone with any real understanding of video games and/or their narratives should look at this and go "so, what." to it's statement. Of course this will be super appealing to anybody who doesn't actually think about anything and can go "Woah I never thought about this before this is so cool and clever!" Just like most "games" that make statements about video games as a medium.

This is all based on assumption though as it seems like the dev is purposefully showing very little of the game. I find it hard to take seriously when presentation is "your an 8-bit ninja!" though. That just screams "Hah, I'm being ironically un-creative" but, is funnily enough un-ironically creatively bankrupt.

yes, god yes, this is the most pretentious garbage since gone home.

Arguably Spec Ops: The Line does that to an extend. Takes the standard cawadooty style third person thing and completely fucks with it, but keeps the gameplay of the first.

Arguably is a good way to put it. Spec Ops I think is basically what I was describing as a game that takes the idea of dissonance and successfully turns that into a real story that is more than just trying to make a statement about "ludonarrative dissonance."

I hesitate to say it was succsesful, because I never felt like it managed to make a really solid statement about much of anything other than "hey, did you ever really think about what the real life implications of what video games present mechanically are?" Which, honestly is one of those things I think anyone whose particularly critical about the media they consume would have already thought about. That's still magnitudes beyond Don't Move going "hey, I have narrative dissonance on purpose check me out" though.

I'm so fucking tired of this [CURRENT YEAR: THE RECURRING REVENGEANCE] bullshit wording.

Rules of Engagement. It's 90% lawyer stuff where they go back and forth about whether or not they killed civilians or armed militia.

you can get this shit free on your phone, at least on android. no idea why they're promoting it for sale on steam though.

nice to that someone else other than me appreciates a well cultured animu.

Okay, I don't know what this game is about, but I just had the idea for platformer called "Doesn't Move", where the hero is fat asshole who refuses to get off his fat ass and save the world, so you have to move him around by tilting and shaking the entire level to make him roll and bounce.

Super Monkey Ball?

I think he means Locoroco.

The only good thing to come from that hack is The Velvet Underground.

He pulled all the old versions down and you can only get it if you pay money now.

Buzzword-esque stuff like that is always from jews. They can't understand the abstract concepts that words express; they see everything as a collection of labels, so all their propaganda and rhetoric boil down to inventing a new label and then trying to apply it to something. Also, they want to control every form of media, including video games.