Terminator (1990)

Why have the world forgotten completely about this game? It's objectively the most groundbreaking game ever made.

Will Bethesda Game Studios ever remake or just re-release this game? Fuck it, a Unity remake would be fine too.

Go on…

Back when Beth had the Terminator IP, there was another groundbreaking Terminator game by Bethesda called Terminator: Future Shock, Todd's directorial debut in 1995. The game was largely forgotten because it lacked multiplayer and played strikingly different from any other classic 90's FPS games.

Things it invented:

The game was extremely atmospheric and slow paced compared to the other FPS games in it's era. Many of the enemies were more powerful than the protagonist himself so careful approach is needed. Entering and scavenging collapsed buildings was one of the selling points of the game.

To be honest, Quake and Duke3D overshadowed this game, but they were nothing revolutionary compared to it. The game is largely forgotten, very unoptimized for modern software and hardware, and lacks a GOG release. It's the best classic FPS game ever made in my book, and it needs a re-release badly.

yeah but it's not quake, don't even bother

I think it's because that game looks like a zero-fun chore to play. So as has happened many time throughout history, the first instance of something being accomplished at all was overlooked in favor of the first time it was actually done well. That isn't even the only example in video games alone where that happened. Pretty much every pioneering classic "first-of-its-kind" was actually preceded by a far less fun game that did its big thing first.

Atari ST was an amazing PC indeed. Damocles wasn't the only revolutionary 3D games released back in the day. It still misses the simplicity of Terminator though.

Quake is overrated tho tbh smh fam. Quake managed to look and play more boring than Doom. It's still the same thing, only with more confusing verticality and boring grey and brown textures. The guns are all boring too, except the grenade launcher maybe, but Future Shock has better grenade launcher.

Pretty much. No one bothers to at least optimize the game even though it's a piece of history. Any other example?

I often wonder why there isn't more Terminator vidya. The SNES one was actually pretty fun, the arcade game was cool as hell, and it's a neat universe. An Alien: Isolation style stealth game where you need to evade a terminator would be a lot of fun, and OP's video could be great if it was done in a more modern context and left a lot of the "terminating" up to you. By which I mean arming yourself, keeping a low-ish profile, finding information on your target(s), evading the police etc

I think it's because John Cameron never invested anything on video games, unlike George Lucas and his LucasArts.

why does it make a door opening sound when you switch weapons?

Wow this is really amazing. Very great piece of history.

Another great example of the difference between "the person who did it first" and "the person who did it well"

Plasma weapons only. Because it's cool.

Terminator Future Shock is Bethesda's most well executed game though, and it's still forgotten.

Terminator 3: The Redemption on PS2 is great.

Because most of the people on this site are underage faggots.

So this is what inspired Fallout.

I used to have Terminator (1990), but I don't think I ever beat it. I just used to bust into gun shops, steal all their shit, and then go on a rampage on the cops until the Terminator showed up to kill me.

I remember having a lot more fun with RoboCop vs. Terminator, but maybe that's because I was just a kid and my PC at the time was largely an Adventure Game machine.

I had a boxed copy of Terminator (1990), fucking fantastic game. everything the OP says is true.

breaking into army bases and stealing fuckloads of heavy weaponry only to have not only Arnold chasing you, but the fucking National Guard, was a blast

much like GTA, this was usually more satisfying than playing to win. It was a lot harder to lose the T series fucker chasing you than it was losing the cops, that's for sure

In the trash it goes.

bump

I fucking love those early 90s DOS games with these not-3D 3D graphics.
I'd love to see an indie game or something done intentionally in such style (just with more FPS and less clunky gameplay features).

I love those graphics, it's like I'm really playing an adaptation of the Money for Nothing music video.

Basically a Hitman game where you play as a Terminator? I could go for that.