Dwarf Fartass

How have the updates been? I haven't played for almost a year. Is it good enough to autistically sink endless hours into yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=152432.0
dwarffortresswiki.org/
afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/09/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/
shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920022565.do
bay12games.com/dwarves/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Some of the more important new features that I recall from recent updates:

You can make cabins in adventure mode now.

Did Toady implement multi tiled Titans and FBs yet?

He's planning on it, but the next big update is going to focus on magic and myths.

fuck toasters

eh, there were already add-ons that let you do that.
Nice to see that they're progressing smoothly though.

I ran out of shit to do in this game. I wanted to get into military shit to fight off a zombie horde, but I literally moved right next door to a necromancer tower and got 0 invasions for years.

Even on a decent computer the fps shits itself after a while because the game's not multithreaded.

Since i'm a total faggot but want to try the game anyway, is there a "good" guide or something to get into the game?
Also are there mods that give the game actual graphics instead of ascii characters? I can't really see small white marks on a black background since i'm almost blind

You can try different tilesets that suit your monitor res and tastes better. Dl some from the wiki and change a couple of lines in an ini file and you're good to go.

J+M+Q is the new hot key sequence all the kids are talking about.

Or look up the Lazy Newb Pack, though it may not be up to date with the current game version.

I have limited vision as well but I prefer ASCII to any graphics pack. If you do use a graphics pack, take my advice: choose one pack, choose well, and never change. Reason being that changing is a total bitch when you have to figure out what all the stupid little icons mean. I prefer ASCII because it is never ambiguous whereas the tiny fucking 16x16 tiles very frequently offer ambiguous images.

As for which one, you're going to have to Google and look for yourself, there is a countless amount of them. Just look at screenshots until you see something you think has the least ambiguous icons.

Also, you can fuck around with the tile size and use TrueType font if that helps you. Check the config files, they're very self-explanatory

A tileset I made… basically "high res" of the original.

I'm waiting for the 64bit version.

Same. Though I'm not sure I have enough inspiration for yet another fort run.

Maybe fuck around in Adventure Mode and see how's the cabin making so I can shitpost about UnReal being better.

Not having a 54 petrahertz single-core processor designed solely to run DF

If I recall, the game is naturally multithreaded, which is trivial to do. The problem is that it doesn't have multi core support, which is more difficult.

Major things that would benefit from multithread/core support would be pathfinding, plant growth, world gen, weather/temperature, and water flow. It's not the whole game, but probably pathfinding would be the biggest gain.

As for 32/64 bit … the biggest difference is simply the amount of ram being used. 32 bit has a hard cap of 2gb, and I don't think I've had a world or game that hit that cap.

I just want to see if after all the bloat more memory will make any difference. Not that I have had any performance issues in a reasonable sized fort in a reasonable location. Yet.

I'll finally be able to gen large region 1050 starting year worlds again.

Unless the core game code is multithreaded the difference is trivial. SDL might be on a separate thread, but the time needed to update the screen buffer is probably not even measurable.

Here are the threads during worldgen because I don't have any saved games lying around (I have another install with an actual fortress somewhere, but I don't know where it is atm). You can see that it's technically multithreaded, but most of the other threads are just the support libraries (there's three for FMOD for some reason even though the only thing you ever hear is the music). Since the DF executable itself isn't the one taking up CPU time, I assume that he does use a separate thread for worldgen which is somewhat wasted because the base executable is waiting on it anyway.

Neato, what program is that? Looks like it comes bundled with Windows somewhere

SysInternals (now Microsoft) Process Explorer. It's like Task Manager on steroids.

I usually use square ASCII but this tileset is really nice. been trying it out.
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=152432.0

I remember doing that every game at some point. Wonder if it is still even possible to get to any of the mid/end time Eras in a largeish world?

Hurts my eyes and that color pallette looks homosexually artsy and impractical.

what do you actually do in this game?

Take screenshot of incoherent lines of symbols and then make up fake stories about it on the internet.

You build a fort or walk around.

is it better or worse than free cities?

On one hand you don't get to rape slaves on the other hand it's a real game.

That's odd I find it easier on the eyes.

Those stylized letters seem like an eye sore, but I guess people are different. And one can get used to anything.

Couple of questions from someone who stopped playing when .40 came out:

It's been a while, but I think in a relatively new version I had pretty good FPS on a 3x3 map with 100 dwarves, but I had to lock nearly all my animals up, because when they ran free they tanked my FPS down to 20 or so.

When they were added they seemed worse than meaningless. The taverns were useful/notable for weird bugs (like cats dying of alcohol poisoning from licking booze spilled on their fur) and making it easier to kidnap foreigners for death machines

I like to keep a tavern in front of my defenses as a buffer against invaders.

Yeah, making your entrance hall into a tavern is pretty cool and somewhat useful.

I played this before, but my autism was activated when rooms of square dimensions were not actually squares because of the ascii characters. Where's the square ascii tileset.

I think the game comes with square version of the default ASCII.

There are many, but mine (above) is square:

Personally, I like the colors (pure black isn't an optimal background) however the stylized font is really weird and jarring. Lowercase letters are the same size as many uppercase letters, lowercase "l" needs to have a tail or something that fills the space to the left and right of it, and worst of all lowercase letters aren't positioned lower than uppercase ones. This makes it more annoying to read, in my opinion.

I get that unadultered primary colors pierce the retinas of lesser men, but you can mute colours without making everything a shade of brown.

it's not the absolute worst, gives it a parchment-y look. but yeah i agree with you. dark grey is a great background too

If a dwarf writes a really good book on mechanics or fishing or some other skill, other dwarves can read that book and gain some experience

The thing you said about the lowercase makes me hate it now. Fuck you.

Step up your autism game son, you're playing Dwarf Fortress.

The amount of address for a 32 bit word size (defined by the ALU adder bus size) is 2^32. Which is a little over 4 GB.

Hasn't been updated in awhile but getting the useful bits together (dwarf therapist, tilesets, ect) are easy enough, it really is only for the lazy.

It's always been good enough to autistically sink hours into. Too bad that Adventurer Mode, the main attraction to me and a lot of other players, is still grossly underdeveloped.

I've never played DF before but it looks interesting to me. Should I just start playing it and figure it out as I go (is this even possible?) or should I watch a few hours of autists on youtube explaining how the game works?

Play it, it's not a hard game.

it's a game that lends itself to just getting stuck in there and fucking around.

primarily because the interface is the hardest part, really. i wouldn't watch any videos cause they'd be boring as fuck, but you may want to look at the getting started guide on the wiki just to get a general idea of what to expect, what skills to take on your dwarves that aren't nightmarishly terrible, etc, but most of the game mechanics come through intuition and experimentation

dwarffortresswiki.org/

also search on youtube for beginner tutorials

I started a while ago following a written guide with pictures for an older version. It gave me a grasp on the basics and I learned the rest through trial and error and the wiki. Oh god the wiki. I recommend this method because learning for yourself is one of the best parts of DF. The other part is failing and getting better.

afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/09/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/

I work in IT and have a corporate subscription to Sarari, so I can download shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920022565.do for free. On the other hand, if I need to apply IT-level cognition to this game, maybe that time is best spent working on my CCIE.

Just start the game and look shit up on the wiki.

You really don't, so stop scaring the noobies with such talk. All you need is the game, maybe an alternate tileset, and the wiki. Then add other tools like Dwarf Therapist as you go, at a leasurely pace.

Adding to this: there's no "winning" in this game so just do your best, and when your fortress dies just make the next one better.

I'd consider growing plump helmets in hell one of the victory conditions.

every embark is hell

The fuck would be the point? Make them even more vulnerable because they either can't fit or need to do some special squeezy shit to get in your tunnels?

Would be cool. And you can hide from bigger monsters already if you are a pussy.

Really the game isn't hard. Here's what you need to learn to at the least get started:

You embark on default with some drink that will last a little while, but if you want to feed yer derfs and 'water' them, you need a couple of things:

After you set everything up right, it should run on auto. There's still more: Housin' yer derfs, and then armin' yer derfs.

First we need a

Could be offsetted by limiting the number of Dworf on a single tile, meaning needing to create bigger tunnels in high traffic areas.

This is where shit gets complex.

Arming your dwarves is a little rough, but the good news is a lot of dwarves, especially miners, can defend themselves pretty well. Often when a dorf went fucking nuclear from not getting materials for his fey mood, he died in a few turns as all the surrounding craftsmen just obliterated him barehanded then went back to their tasks. You do need an army for two things on literally every single map:

One spawns based on wealth, the other, depth. When you get to wide open caves, build a fucking natural defense there, some sort of door or something. Also learn how to make a drawbridge and be ready to draw it for the former. These defenses, along with some well-made walls and the like, will help make you get bored quickly and inspire megaprojects, which is good.

Anyway.

One last important note: Hoard everything. Get bones, get leather, get at least one of every kind of material you can. Fey moods can fuck with you pretty hard early game.

Build coffins early and set aside a 'graveyard' early. Ghosts are a preventable pain.

It's been that good for years user

FUCK YES. I can't wait to see what the magic system will be like.

I know what it won't be and that is not a clustefuck.

Anyone played the first Slaves of Armok? I know you could teleport spines out of people with magic but I wanna know more.

Basically make sure all your animals are confined to one/two spaces and you should be good for like, 100+ dwarves with a good 50 fps.
Don't ever bring Turkeys/Chickens if you want a good FPS though, once you start breeding them their pathfinding completely fucks everything to the point of no return, they have single-handedly been the source of my FPS deaths of many fortresses.

I like the default color scheme enough to the point where I've just never bothered changing it, or learned how. How do I use this tileset?

optimization when

dunno but there's 64 bit clients now

Can't you just stick all the poults into a cage and have it not affect your fps

While the number of Dorfs on a tile is not hardcapped, only one moves while the other waits for some ticks, and it becomes far slower when they haul heavy stuff. Try to move two groups of 5 dwarves through each other in a 1 tile tunnel and consider if you'd want such a congestion anywhere, especially in a high-traffic area.

I played it for half an hour. That part was pretty fun, but it was also horribly bugged and unfinished. In the end, I got killed by a bush.

new version lads

bay12games.com/dwarves/

Lord Toady has heeded thy call, child.

Faster than expected.

I want to hotglue those soft robot lips

Multithreading when

20XX

Thats pretty optimistic.

>mfw I can't defeat that fucking bush.

Yes, but then you won't get any eggs from the females that have to lay them in nest boxes. I guess it'd be best if you let all the females lay eggs, and used the rest for meat industry. Either way, they have a fuckload of chicks with every load of eggs, so you'd end up butchering a fuckload of the females too.

stop

ULTIMATE WEAPON

…………….

invaded by the undead, my dwarven militia managed to take out most of the zombies, but were dispatched by the giganigga zombie, "Tangledend the Frills of Gods".
the civilians of the fort was then enlisted and subsequently massacred.

the children managed to run past him and are now hiding underground in the pantry

Absolute madman

one of the dwaven children foolishly went to sleep in the barracks by the entrance. eventually the ventured inside…

meanwhile, a dwarven baby crawls aimlessly through the empty halls

*the zombie

two babies have gathered with some pets in the temple, where they and the animals will die of thirst.
another dwarven child seems oblivious to the carnage

but time is running out for Vabok Mansionwheel

Vaboks hunger drives him to attempt to get into the fortress, but he is scared away

Tangledend spots a rabbit and takes off after it, so Vabok takes this opportunity to go inside, heading straight for the alcohol and ignoring the food for some reason
upon leaving, he is spotted and chased

Did this mean toddlers were leading fucking armies?

Vabok is captured, and whilst he fights valiantly, he is raped to death nigh instantly

Tangledend has found someone in the hospital, a survivor of the original attack. he too is raped

That's because Adventure Mode is an add-on and Fortress Mode is the main feature, your going to be waiting a long time for it to be developed further and it's already in the "good enough to be stale" period since fun things can't happen as often.

the babies have starved to death, and stinthad galleydyes, the last living member of the fort, is being haunted by ghosts

Tangledend plays a cat and mouse game with various animals in the fortress, killing a turkey and a peahen

stinthad gives no fucks

Oh thank god a DF thread.

I can't get into it lately but I love hearing about the shit you guys get into.

while on his way to get something to eat, stinthad takes cover in the mechanics workshop, only to get attacked.

he attempts to run away, but his wounds are fatal

RIP

i got robbed by some goblins in adventure mode, where can i buy a backpack?

You don't deserve a backpack.

A real dworf.

nevermind, a giant hyena recruit just wrecked my shit
i gotta remember to dodge
this is fun as fuck

Adventure mode training regimen: