How far did you get until you quit?

How far did you get until you quit?
I got to the first town and quit when I found out it was filled with lore-breaking NPC's that were backer wish fulfillment. It was polluted with them. I was quite disgusted.

Other urls found in this thread:

rien-ici.com/iemod/pillars_of_eternity
nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity/mods/33
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I beat it. It was fun. Durance is mah nigga.

You can just ignore them. Once I realized how shit they were I just never clicked on them. There's also mods to remove them.

Finished it as well, I didn't find the game play to be terribly shit, it was just painfully average and unbalanced, and I was really interested to see if all that foreshadowing and mystery was going to pay up in the end game. It didn't.

Didn't even bought it, specially after that tranny incident.

I wish I could nullify them completely from the earth. It ruins explorations. I'm not gonna bother checking these houses becuase theyre just gonna be non-canonical text dumps.

You're really overreacting. It was never an issue in my playthrough. Like I said just get the mod that deletes them from the game entirely.

I've seen Obsidian for the shit-tier developers they've always been since the first time I played Knights of the Old Republic 2.

I never even touched Pillars of Eternity.

after reaching the major city, i was bored to death after the prologue and hoping it would eventually get better, it didn't.

Non-characters can't own houses, silly

my friend downloaded it and never finished it. we dont talk anymore anyway

But neither of those two things are true
You're propagating a circlejerk for a game you have no knowledge of

First town. Too many backer NPCs, took me out of the game completely.

I couldn't even get very far out of the first town, think I talked to some guy you had to meet after reaching the first town then stopped. I just couldn't keep playing it when the gameplay was so shit on top of both the story and world being so dull and uninteresting. I can usaully get interested in nearly any fantasy world but I couldn't get any interest in this shit at all. I wouldn't be as bothered if the actual gameplay was any good at least but it was shit.

I didn't quit the game in anger at any particular fault, it's just that the overall game was so boring and uninteresting that I couldn't make myself keep playing when I could be doing nearly anything else instead. This isn't high standards or anything either, i've been playing and enjoying a couple of medicore AA RPGs recently that I cannot call good but still manage to enjoy anyway despite their flaws. PoE was nothing but flaws. It wasn't just that I couldn't get past the flaws, it was that there was nothing to enjoy despite them.

I got to the part where you had to go infiltrate some ruined church in the main city when I realized that due to stat boosting items being broken, many of my characters had 20-30 in some attributes and never played again. It took a very long time for them to fix as well.

The backer NPCs were incredibly bizarre to someone who didn't have any prior knowledge of them existing. Like what, I click on this dude and magically receive their coldsteel the hedgehog tier tragic origin story and that's that?

Also, the amount of unnecessary combat absolutely everywhere made it a huge slog. It was almost never challenging outside of the first dungeon either, though that could be due to the glitch from infinitely stacking stats.

act2, at the first major town. the writing was bad. combat was boring

I quit shortly after i got that fire-cleric-paladin, i think inside a castle when i got bored. Played maybe 1/20th of the game. The story died alongside the bad writing in the first town, with that lesbian couple inside a house, that was literally a stronk womyn lesbian fanfic, and that scene with the hanged witch on the tree described with at least 50 different synonims on motherly, and the dialogue was so watered down it looked like a college student wrtiting a paper filling out a 7500 words count.

The combat got old real fast too, unbalanced, broken mechanics, repetitive and sometimes it played awkwardly.

Is there anything decent that came out recently?

That's kind of a vague question
You could mean if anything decent came out in any form of entertainment and the answer would still depend on you

didn't understand the health system and my cleric did fuckall to keep me alive so I turned it off in the basement of the church ruins in the first city

anything as in same genre of PoE

I actually got to the last boss. that fight crossed the line for me. couldn't bring myself to continue

Well, the PST sequel is apparently in early access since last week, though I haven't seen even a single person talk about it
And the Soon™ to be released Tyranny seems good as a concept, something obsidian might actually do well

Same here, this is the game I ever played where I stopped because it was too boring. I dont know how they managed to do it but they did.

It doesn't matter what game you're playing, that's fucking retarded
You could just turn the difficulty down to Bitch if you were that assblasted

Torment: tides of numenera
WHAT THE FUCK? is everything voiced with uncompressed audio, farts included? Jesus christ, almost got hyped for a second there. almost.

I told you it was in early access
What did you honestly expect, something good to happen?

true, but I really didn't give a shit anymore. I rushed through the last parts of the game, because it got boring long before the final boss.
I just watched the ending on jewtube

You're right, sorry, i forgot. Why would anything nice ever happen.

I beat it, it was painfully mediocre in every way and the backer characters sucked dick, had to actively push myself to play through it.

Only good and memorable character was Durance.
Grieving Mother seemed to have been cut into the bare minimum.

Either way, this project made Avellone quit Obsidian after they a fuckton of stuff he wrote, since he outshined every other writer there in terms of content and quality, so they dumbed it down.

Don't think Obsidian will survive without him

Got to the final boss couldn't beat him used god mode and won. The game was ok i had more fun with Wasteland 2.

It will be shit. Sawyer pretty much worships "no fun allowed" as the guiding principle when designing gameplay, Obsidian is so fucking gay now they chased Avellone away, thus removing the one reason anyone bothered with their buggy, broken, unoptimized games, and since they're perfectly willing to censor content that offends SJWs I can already see what kind of game Tyranny will turn out to be.

I got to the big not-Baldur's Gate city and just… stopped. All the wordswordswords dialogues that go nowhere became tiresome.

I finished Act 2. At that point any remaining interest I had the game disappeared entirely.

I got to the part where you're supposed to infiltrate Raedric's Castle, stopped playing and quietly uninstalled the game a few weeks later.

The lore is so uninspiring, what with the generic elves/dwarves and the uncharismatic humanoid mutants that make up the rest of the race menu.

Combat is an absolutely hassle and unsatisfying, with the no-buffing-outside-of-combat, the godawful engagement mechanic and the teleporting enemies that rape your spellcasters faster than you can say "sjw".

I'm honestly glad this whole nonsense about Obsidian and Kickstarter ushering in a "Golden Age of CRPG's" is finally over and everybody can go home.

but Tranny is coming out soon user?
Aren't you hyped?

Fucking this, the writing was atrocious, but of course because Oblivion is KNOWN, for good writing people just assumed it was high quality.

The stat system was beyond retarded, once I figured how it worked and fought a few times I got bored real quick.

Also the overall story and world is boring as fuck.

I just now tried watching a video about Pillars and even lust looking at the character generation made me bored and sleepy.

Their writers should just write sleeping aid audiobooks.

I beat it. Only good companion was Durance. The Mother chick was somewhat interesting but not too good. The stat system was retarded. Combat varied from bad (engagement, no pre-buffing, no scouting, awful class balance) to frustrating as fuck (enemies spawning out of thin air, teleporting enemies going straight for your squishies). Story was boring, writing was mostly terrible except for the 2 NPCs I mentioned, the villain felt like a really bad copy of Irenicus and the ending was extremely unsatisfying because there was no option to betray all the false god, instead the game just acts like you swore to help every god and turn on each god individually.

Sure am. With these folks as their publisher, what can go wrong?

How many hours does it take to finish? I didn't touch the game but I might do that. also I am not a story guy I skip story whenever possible.

It never had a fucking chance.

7.62 manages just fine, it's just that Sawyer is a humongous faggot whose idea of gameplay is to make it as boring as possible.

Yeah, who would have guessed that RTWP is garbage tier cancer gameplay?

Sawyer also is the one who censored the writers on the team which led to Avallone quitting since he hated that shit.

Yeah, I remember reading a "joking" comment of his where he talks about screaming at writers for disagreeing with him.

Sawyer is the manlet with tattoos, right?

I finished this boring piece of shit in its entirety, just kill me

RTWP is garbage but it was still much, much better done in Infinity Engine games. Same goes for the whole character system in PoE, D&D is kinda shit but you can do some fun things if you're familiar with it, PoE is like D&D deliberately designed to suck.

Here's a mod:
rien-ici.com/iemod/pillars_of_eternity

It makes backer npcs to have fantasy names.

Also all backer memorials changer:
nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity/mods/33

I didn't give a shit about the backer NPCs (isn't there a mod that turns them off anyways?). I stopped playing at the first town when I realized that its big main sidequest was resolving a dispute about the quality of grain between the farmers and merchants. That shit is impressively boring, they really put a lot of effort into making this game as boring as possible. The mechanics were shit too because you just put points in whatever you want because nothing matters. I didn't see the game ever having interesting builds or interesting writing and those are the only reasons I'd ever play a CRPG.

I liked the prerendered backgrounds though.

>dissing every single infinity engine game and modded Dragon Age: Origins
the game is boring as shit but it didn't have to be

That quest made perfect sense for the setting and situation.
You can't expect every quest to be some epic bullshit.

Why exactly is real time with pause cancer

I thought it was boring.

However, I'd like to play a similar game where you can recruit party members and also create them as well like in PoE. I really liked that feature, is there anything like it? Besides Icewind Dale (those only have creatable party members tho)

RTWP RPGs are generally based on turn-based systems (like D&D) that don't translate well into real time. Because of that you have shit like characters standing still doing nothing waiting for the turn to end or swinging weapons without actually attacking (because they have no more attacks that turn), no accounting for actions like moving or using certain items, retarded "kiting" with bows, characters running in circles waiting for the turn to end so they can cast another spell, melee fighters running around in circles trying to attack archers or spellcasters, there's almost no way to hold any kind of formation or hide weaker characters or spellcasters behind fighters. It's a giant fucking mess.

The thing that really stings the most is that this was the chance for Obsidian to make whatever the fuck they wanted. They had carte blanche to make any kind of cRPG they could think of, any setting, absolute fucking freedom.

And what do they do? They shit out a rehash of BG2 and deliberately fuck up everything good about that game.

They shoulda actually just made Fuck You: Suck My Dick: Josh Sawyer's Personal Dream RPG Experience.

The first Tavern.
I mean, It's a rpg, the first tavern should be filled with some quests. But in this game the tavern is void, blank. I don't know, there's nothing in there.
Got bored and uninstalled the game.

you might want to consider killing yourself

Try Wizardry 8.

Though it's a vastly different style of game from Baldur's Gate (i.e first-person turn-based).

I would, problem is I've played it already. Good game. Thanks for the suggestion.

THAT'S what they were? I kept thinking it was some 2deep4u shit trying to make everything more immersive or something

Their tryhard names and backstories didn't give it away to you? Personally I enjoyed the game, but I completely ignored those stupid pieces of shit.

Alright bud, you win, here's a reply

I think it's that epic maymay that confuses pillars with path of exile.

That's retarded.

Yes. I've seen it before though. You see it's funny because they have the same acronym XD

I think a lot of people bounced out of the game after they read the background of those retarded lesbians.

Now I have to download the game to see THAT town, jesus

How the fuck did they not realize that it goes against every instinct of rpg players to have to do that?

I dropped it after having finished the first town and met the sort of Druid/Cleric dude. It just didn't pull me in.

You'd think you would at least be able to talk to them, but no. All you can do is stare into their souls and read their shitty poorly written backstories.
I found one early on in the first town wearing plate armour, which i had yet to find for myself, so I saved the game, killed his ass and took it. No-one in the town attacked me. I lost no reputation either.

They are a fucking joke.

I had fun killing them with my cipher's disintegrate

Right at the start:

-Backgrounds weren't zoomed far enough away from to be pixelised.

-Camera wasn't centred on main character with world updating around him/her, like in Diablo.

-Attacks weren't fast.

-Lacking effects such as mist, swaying grass, trees, leaves, running water etc Background should be animated.

-Characters lacked interesting attire and were badly proportioned. Use bigger, longer legs. Relevant head, don't ignore neck.

-Lack of custom face generator.

-Didn't make use of colour, bloom and eye adjustment. Make rest of world darker with light source close or preset at night, lit areas brighter. Eyes adjust going from indoors to outside so shadow is darker in day and bright is too bright initially. Use higher colour depth for everything, colours should blend into others, enough colour most is in gradient.
Use self shadowing on chars. Simple lenghtening shadow on ground as complex as it needs to be, smaller close to walls. Brighten areas affected by player light. Lower gamma. Use high quality FXAA or TAA, up the blur so not a single pixel stands out. Everything blends into everything else, especially characters and 3D elements. Anything 3D (if the world isn't pixelated) use high AA on. Wide Tent Supersampling.

-Less dialogue, more background. Make use of multiple layers of background to give a pop out effect where things change relative to the player, moving more away the further from the player. Going under things that obscure the character prepare high detail terrain to handle being zoomed into, with smooth detail emerging, use trilinear. Camera closer, or remove layers. But height definately needs to move differently than the base background. Use a layer every few metres. Dialogue doesn't mean a thing if world is uninteresting visually. Also needs good music. Fire all students. Anything done by formula, forget it.

.Start out solo. Have a lot of land covered before the subtitles start. And do not voice chars. The land speaks, students bleat regardless what they say. Text talks faster, and can form better perspective, or show itself for drivel and see the character slain.

.Need to be able to kill all chars and progress through the landscape. Kill an animal? Don't think so. Feed tourists to locals. Smash through barriers rather than submit to have them opened. Help by choice. Worse equipmet the more you help, better equip for serving scum etc. Theiving always possible, anyone doing it damned to have what is stolen show itself opposite of what it is. Earned things come by with chance perform entirely different. Bought things break, made to break like all money related things. Also incur weight. Things meant to be had do not, become part of you. Found perhaps the more is done so to suit story and strenght.

No filler dialogue. No explanations. People waste your time they came to the land unjustly. Or have been infected, become tasked to slay the institution that has come to degrade the land harvesting life from it. Fix the stupid, send off or approve of it's wish to attone for it's cowardice. Get it to look after other things as better action. Repair wounded animals. Get better at living off land. Overcome greed looking after freed food sent to them. See how the role of superior is denied by it, if it isn't slay them. Take food to where they wrre taken from or to places that may fit with them. Or get more tasks as they have their own revenge unable to erase the presence of what was done to them. Locations of more students. Long travels between problems. Getting lost and grinding the largest enemies. May grind to get better at killing enemies, more enemies just energe and do so adapted. Only concern is freeing people. Strenght at that the only worthwhile upgrade. Plenty of involved routes otherwise and plenty of power pyramid schemes even ones where you are the top, all detour from saving people. Even ones where other people may help. It is a solo endevour and all else is a lie.

.As more time passes bad things grow. Better to get somewhere fast and unprepared making solutions on the fly than to mount sure attacks. Churches and such targets even if ungrowing other targets movig further away.

.Better not to look for equipment. What you need you will find, it won't be overpowered but it will be enough. Equipment if time wasted in finding may only serve other purposes or the strenght of it weakening you so you rely on it and aren't used to improvising or compensating with yourself. More time without pain makes it hurt more when inflicted on you.

.Entertaining stupidity spreads it. Better to make enemies. Making enemies may lead you to what made them so stupid and wear off that cowardice from them. More mind to those that aren't traitors though. Betrayal is already a habit for the rest. Time given to such is a kind of betrayal itself.

yeah just ignore the fanfiction NPCS. Can't really blame obsidian for that shit.

game is ok, 7.5-8/10. I just finished it and I'm about to do the expansions. Ending is a bit lacklustre, content feels kind of sparse, but it's a nicely polished game.

I got up to White March part 1, then I bought Underrail and never touched it again.

Maybe try Serpent in the Staglands? You can make your whole party at the start or recruit characters while adventuring.

So… you basically didn't play the game and only stuff you have to talk about are graphics?

Got into first town, went underground, fought ghosts that teleported to your back line every time, got to the next area, those same ghosts that teleport appear again.

fuck this shit.

That's just the first half of his post.

He basically wants his own completely different game which has 100% grey morality with an organic world where every little action matters and would no doubt require an additional 4 million by Obsidian to realize.

Beat it twice. Once with a party and once solo.

I played through this game, but about the time I hit the far-off-secret-city-place I was basically forcing myself to do so.

For me it was actually just too long.

But the worst thing I remember about it was actually the fucking shit-tier BASE that required loading like 3 zones to get to a bed. FUCKING BRILLIANT.

what the fuck am I reading

I got my stronghold, traveled to the next big town and have never played it since then.

Got to the major city, was showered in miscellaneous quests that I shouldn't give a shit about, had a bad taste in my mouth from the extreme lack of urgency after that point.

I liked it up to that point, the atmosphere was nice.
It was when I was encouraged to slow down and return fucking library books that I tossed it out the window.

I got until the…Barbarian village? With the dryad sisters. I'd dumped seventy hours into the game at that point and beat the big optional dungeon, but that was all I could handle. I'm a WRPG junkie but jesus the fucking thing just wore me down. I've never seen a videogame with more purple prose, holy shit.

I enjoyed the game, but holy fuck after 50 hours I was just staring as wall of text was followed by more wall of text, which is probably why I didn't know what the fuck was happening right at the end with plot points being dropped and me just skipping dialogue. Even midway through the game, if you aren't paying attention an NPC will wake you up and have fucking philosophical debates and shit, especially Durance, that guy made me scratch my head more times than I could count.

The difficulty curve was wonky as shit as well. I'm cruisin' and killin' just fine and then I reach the last boss and I get stonewalled. I've never seen Eder die so damn fast.

I beat the base game. I did a bit of the DLC and dropped it.

The game mechanics aren't that interesting. And the characters are horrible. This game is a clear example of when custom player made parties are better than what the devs intended.

Also those two characters written by their DESIGNATED female writer are pure garbage I almost had a brain aneurysm when talking to them.

Pirated the beta.
Saw rtwp and the length of loading times.
Never touched it again.