Another drop in linux users for steam

Less than 1% now.

Other urls found in this thread:

omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/07/linux-marketshare-reaches-2-percent
suckless.org/sucks/systemd
linuxquestions.org/questions/interviews-28/interview-with-patrick-volkerding-of-slackware-949029/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I play games on linux and would never consider using steam.

Consider suicide OP

They really want games and they're closed source. Nobody plays the open source games.

You're the minority within the minority.

I don't get it.

As written in the OP, survey is kind of useless if you don't count steamos users. They're not a majority by any means, but they should constitute the bulk of linux users by now.

Just add 5 to the total.

So what? I play games on windows too and I don't use steam there either.

Valve did a shit job promoting Linux gaming and the minute M$ offered to work together they abandoned it.

Vulkan is now even more kill than it was already.

ok, cool.

omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/07/linux-marketshare-reaches-2-percent

Most of the games I play have linux ports or run well on Wine so I removed Windows from my other HDD. Although I don't play newer games on my toaster.
>Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition

Free Software > Open Source Software > Proprietary Software > DRM'd software > SaaSS (Service as a Software Substitute, a.k.a. SaaS - Software as a Service in Newspeak)

Considering games are moving more and more toward the worse end of the spectrum, is it any wonder that GNU/Linux users are the ones abandoning the platform that's the second worst system? Proprietary software is the worst I'm willing to put up with, and I'm only a Macfag.

this is the future you choose

still
Why gimp yourself when you can libreate yourself with a little rum, m80?

Opinion discarded

Oh I play steam games too, but only because of multiplayer. Or I wanted to support some devs.

we had this exact same useless fucking thread yesterday and the day before
>>>Holla Forums
>>>/ints/

Maybe it's more a case of Linux users abandoning steam, not offering up their specs for survey, or putting in shit that stop Steam telling HQ what their system is at all?

Or dual boot with Steam on the Win 7 side.

Linuxfags won't even pay for an OS, obviously they're not going to pay for video games either.

YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP

Steam4Linux is basically a meme. I just run Steam through Wine to play games and have better results than using the native client, which loves to crash randomly for some reason.

What are the hard numbers? Is it actually a drop in linux users, or did the number of windows users just go up a lot more? The former might mean that linux is losing users, while the latter might mean that steam is just gaining a lot more users, which could point to other things like consoles are losing out.

Linux users aren't cucked hard enough to use Steam.

Why do you even give a fuck how other people play their games?

linux gaming is a meme

(((Video games))) are proprietary trash.

Reminder that Stallman is fine with games being proprietary, aside from the code itself.

This linux versus windows shit is the worst meme I've seen in years.
You do know you can use both you know?On the same machine nonethless, stop this proto-console-war bullshit.

OP is a cock gobbler and this is a dubs thread

You can't fucking stop me. No one can.

That can't be right, the daily Linux thread tells me we're entering a golden age for Linux gaming.

Where the fuck do you think we are?

Memes are a meme.

feels good

So what? Linux still has more games than any other system and they don't need to use a jewish drm platform

FOSS is generally trash compared to proprietary equivalents. Not always, but generally.

Is it opposite day or something?

Actually, good FOSS games and open sourcing of games has only become more popular. Space Engineers and Mount & Blade Bannerlord are two open source games I can think of immediately.

You also have
>tux kart

Some games can run pretty awful on GNU/Linux, sometimes it's due to the card manufacturer, and other times the game developer. That being said, my experience has been positive overall.

That's the whole thing that even matters in the first place. The assets are irrelevant because they are not executing any code, the source code and scripts are what is important. Free Software is about the software, not about images and music files.

My nigga.

I had to check that one out and this is what I found:

That sounds like they just don't know the difference between FOSS and open source. If you can get your hands on the code without paying, then it's open-source.

If anything, Windows is the meme nowadays. Enjoy using a mobile OS on your desktop, though.

Hey guys remember steam machines?

The problem with looking at the market share for windows 10 in the first place, is that the analytical data is skewed because of how many users are force updated.
Every user that is force updated by microsoft's updates are going to be immediately counted in the market share, no distinction as to whether the users wanted it or not.

Also reminder that vulkan and dx12 are built on the same fucking codebase, and any developer willing to pay for dx12 licensing is getting their shit pushed in to have their game limited to microsoft's walled garden.

Source on the "build on the same codebase"?

I agree on the rest, and its really only a matter of time before microsoft makes windows 10 subscription based. How else does it make money?

i'm gonna stick with windows 7 on my main gaming rig, but i'll upgrade my laptops to debian soon

That's a downgrade, though. Debian, and anything derived from it, is fucking awful.

someone posted the pages on the API callbacks for both DX12 and vulkan a while back, the callbacks are the same, the manuals are almost word for word identical

by embedding advertisements into the start menu and mining user data through every possible vector as is admitted in their privacy policy

This. You should go with either Gentoo, Slackware, or Void.

Arch.

DO NOT

Why?

Every fucking single time

They picked up (((systemd)))

Fuck off, no one who actually uses GNU+Linux gives a shit about Steam or any of its proprietary garbage. Only hipster posers who want to look cool by using GNU+Linux would care about this shit.

Just embrace your new overlord already, user.

go home lennart, you're drunk

Arch is steaming hot garbage that got pozzed with systemd, and not suitable as a production environment because of the instability of a number of packages.
I run arch and can't even use imagemagick because a number of the options cause the system to freeze due to a certain optional build dependency being included by default.
Gentoo's stability far outweighs the benefit of the AUR that arch has.

You're the cancer killing GNU, Lentard.

Redhat and Freedesktop.org need to die.

Why is there no systemd-free distro that isn't too autistic to install?

manjaro-openrc

Actually, steam doesn't run well in Ubuntu and Ubuntu flavors, driver issues stop it from even starting up. Worked well in Manjaro and heard it works well in Mint. Maybe Linux user stopped trying to make it work.

Personally I drank the Holla Forums koolaid a year ago and deleted everything and gave away my steam account to my brother.

Ran it for a month and it was unstable as hell and every time I updated it, it broke the system, wouldn't even boot up. Newer releases (last i knew) had an installer with no LUKS encryption.

Linux isn't a bad kernel and GNU isn't a bad OS

The problem is that you can't market an OS with an emphasis on free and open source software and expect support from proprietary games and drivers, there's a conflict of fucking interest here. This is why GNU/Linux has failed on the desktop but is in wide use everywhere else

It's not being marketed, though. It's just hipster cucks who have no idea what they're talking about. GNU+Linux is for getting work done. I use it because I'd honestly rather kill myself than program on Windows. Being able to run games on it would be nice, but isn't really a priority for me.

What's exactly so bad about systemd? I see faggots sperging about it all the time, but none ever mentions WHAT makes it so terrible. Seems more like some kind of meme.

Another Linux thread. Another bunch of contrarian hipster elitists

It merges a shitload of configuration into one single entity, which goes completely against the general mindset of "do one thing and do it well". It's bloat.

Systemd goes against the unix philosophy of "it's better to have a bunch of programs that each do one thing very good, instead of one program do everything very poorly".
Systemd is the one program that does everything poorly, but worse than that is that some developers are making systemd a hard dependency, which is one of the most retarded decisions a developer could ever make. If you want to use a different init system, but a program you want or need depends on systemd, then your init system is getting fucking replaced against your will.

NSA/Redhat are trying to snuff out competition by coercing all distros to switch to their faulty software.

It defeats the purpose of having freedom of choice with GNU.

suckless.org/sucks/systemd

This thread isn't going anywhere useful anyway.

Arch is far easier to use than Ubuntu tbh.

That's literally Gentoo, though.

Those old /g/ comics were obnoxious years ago and they haven't gotten any less obnoxious. The people on that board choose their technology based on how cool it makes them look.

P0sted fr0m my arch b0x, git gud noobuntus lmao

Wait people pay for their OS? Christ what are you faggots doing?

Gentoo is an actual autistic distro, arch is for ultratoasters with

On what planet?

Just install one that has it and remove it. There are plenty of guides.

If you're so autistic that it bothers you I don't know why going full autismo with Gentoo or something wouldn't be more ideal though.

I use Steam on both and I've only ever gotten the survey pop-up on Windows. I decline it everytime of course but Steam on Linix is buggy AF.

Same goes for their mobile app actually where you can't even set the profile picture because the upload image button doesn't do anything when you press it.

Just goes to show that more people are abandoning gaming because of how trash modern games are

Steam is trash and so is every single person who uses it.

I use linux & windows and game on both (both with pros/cons). Steam has only asked me for survey while I was using windows.

Also linux users by default are less likely to willing submit data about their system even when it it prompts them.

What would actually be revelaing is purchasing statistics and charts based on games that announced, implemetned or began right off the line with linux support. Did the mere announcement of linux support see a spike in sales? Do evenly-matched (same genre, budget, marketing etc) linux supported games vs windows-only games sell better/worse? Are people with a higher amount of linux supported game more likely to buy games in the future with support as well?

Also remember that a lot of linux users who are ok with proprietary software (most games) are still more likely to reduce the BS and buy from GOG or some other DRM-free retailer instead.

It's funny because Valve is the one whose trying to make linux work for games but are getting worse in terms of DRM which is at odds with its (linux') nature. While GOG is missing a lot of games that already have linux support by only providing a windows installer, yet because they're DRM free have I think a silent but active linux community.

Their community is getting a bit cancer with regards to DRM these days, though. They pretty much accepted Dying Light releasing with DRM and no Linux version (that exists on stream) without any arguement and anyone who tried to be critical of it in the forums was overrun by gog shills.

Nigga I don't think you understand.
The average joe at this point does not care about DRM. They expect it, it's as natural to them as achievements.
Welcome to the new world.

GOG's core selling point is selling DRM free, though.

I only use Steam on my Windows virtual machine, why in the world do you think I would install and pay for proprietary software on my free and open source operating system? Steam may technically have a linux version but it's Windows software as far as I'm concerned. Any software that seeks to replace the package manager with something automated and proprietary is not something that belongs on any linux computer.

I do have some proprietary software on mint though but it's all pirated because I don't want to support that shit.

back to half /a/ or reddit with you

Considering that Linux marketshare has just reached 2%, it's not too bad

I've switched to ganoo%loonix about three years ago but I only use the Windows Steam client in wine as of lately.

That's just the terminal colors, which can be changed on every distro.

I IMPLORE YOU TO RECONSIDER

Seems the thread to ask.

If I can pick up a 2007 iMac cheap, is it worth installing Linux Mint on it?

This, WINE is complete fucking garbage. If you have a computer that can do PCI passthrough then you can play any game you want in a Windows virtual machine.

Year of the Linux Desktop any day now.

Typical linux thread. People already arguing about which distributive is the best (they're all unstable garbage with no driver support for modern and even some old hardware), and then some complete fucking retard comes and gets free replies with systemd bait.
If you use linux on a desktop machine you're just trying to appeal to people on tech. There's no other reason to do it.

Does this statistic take into account people who might dual boot windows for vidya?

Anything other than osx would be an improvement, but I don't even know how well something like mint would run on it, should be fine since it's not as bad as the old PPC architecture.

The problem with wine is that most people don't bother checking the appdb to see what will run and what wont, or what is required to get certain applications running.
There's little to nothing I need wine for, so I've only ever run into an issue with a program for making source game sprays.

the irony here is overwhelming

As with most statistics, nobody has any idea what variables are taken into account, so the end result is as good as garbage.

It's free, you dense nigger.

You can't even take linux shills seriously these days because they just lie constantly.

It's not free.
They pay with their dignity.

Can't give away something you don't have.

I'm sure there's some budding developers out there who aren't jews.

Linux meme is hilarious.
Endless freedom to craft the substandard computing experience of your dreams!

you will live to see 99% of Holla Forums running win10+

Mark uses Win10 doesn't he?

Probably run better on it than what I'm currently using. Or I hope, at least.

Well what else am I supposed to run on my desktop? I tried gaming on OpenBSD before and all I can say is thanks but no thanks.

AROS.

Free Software = Open Source Software in 99.999% of cases.

Guess people realized Linux isn't really the OS of choice for a video game platform

It's almost like Lunix users care more about their privacy and owning the games they play more than they do about conspicuous consumption and muh eppid steem sails…

Linux users are typically people that have already been burned by companies abusing their customers, so they're used to jumping ship the moment they're fed up with being fucked by shit corporations.

I'd like to know your method for "owning" pc games. I am assuming you don't play much that isn't free to play?

Kill me now

Oh child…

Linux will never be popular as along as their retarded fundamentalism gives some space. I heard linuxfags say EVERY software ever should be open source, do they realize how fucking ridiculous that sounds.

lol yeh its not running on every router, switch, virtualization or web platform out there.

Stay ignorant fuckwit.

This image is silly.

Difficulty only arises when you have a fail state. Neither walking simulators not VNs have one, they only have varying endings, so they belong in the same level.

Artificial difficulty is not to be placed above extreme difficulty, it belongs in it's own category. It can be applied to any difficulty level, since it's just a form of bad design.

Impossible is a silly category. A truly impossible game is either deliberately designed to be uneatable by including a jump you can't make, a time limit that can't be met etc or just bugged.
If you use Impossible as an equivalent of really really hard, you are just devaluing the actual meaning of the word.
Vid related is not an Impossible game, it's just hard.

if people use winehq to use Steam to play Windows games or dual boot using Steam with Windows and Linux for everything else then the Steam survey isn't accurate

Well what do you expect when valve dropped the ball with their push for linux and steam machines? Casual sheep to jump to linux anyway? Hipsters won't go so far as to change OS, famallamadingdong.

nice meme

And a whole shit ton of mobile devices (Android using Linux, iOS uses Mach/BSD).

Autistically hard may as well be impossible

Why do people praise cave if even zun is capable of creating much more interesting patterns for bosses? This game is just boring as fuck, not hard.

How do people maintain focus for so long? I'm always distracted by some thought every few seconds. I lost track of the player several times just watching that video.

Congratulations, you have severe ADHD.

It is much easier to follow the ship when playing than watching.
That said focusing on something for a few minutes at a time should not be hard, you might want to see somebody about that.

honestly it was their own goddam fault, they had a chance to make Linux a viable and more widely used platform

key word there is had, the ship has sailed, be it people staunchly holding on to Windows 7 or the poor sods forced onto Windows 10, whether or not their platform is truly free or not is irrelevant to them, so long as it works and requires no fanagling to get your games to work.

Except for how many games have required numerous workarounds and manual patches to work over the years.
Take The Sims 3, just to get half decent performance for an hour at a time requires a number of mods to unfuck the game's latent issues, and even then the game still experiences numerous slowdowns and crashes when combined with expansion packs.
Just because something works on windows, never meant that it always worked on windows.

Valve literally put out it's own Linux distro in the form of SteamOS. It's hard to not push harder than that.

No the fact of the matter is game devs only support Linux when it's financially viable to do so. It costs the dev money to port it to another operating system, and there's little reason to do it when less than 1% of users actually use it and tend to dualboot windows anyway.

You should stop blaming Valve for not trying hard enough to get people to support Linux, and try giving people reasons to actually switch to Linux. Because apart from "muh privacy" and "muh elitism" I don't see the tradeoff in compatibility worth it.

It's a bit charitable to call it a distro, although TBF the only thing I know about it is that it's based on Debian for some reason, basically the last choice I would make for a gaming-oriented Linux distro. Was Ubuntu just too unstable for them or something?

That's what Valve was doing: by making their own distro and pushing it, they were hoping to drive up adoption and give incentive to port to it. It didn't really work because Steam boxes were more expensive than consoles while having the same limitations.

lol, SteamOS is dogshit for a desktop user. It's literally steam in big picture mode running on a bare bones debian distro.

None of which valve were involved in making, none of which actually had any games made for them (especially important to be able to take advantage of the steam controller), and none of them were anything close to a good value (aside from a few decent ones) hardware wise.

In the end, they only wanted to test if Linux users were a good consumer market, and since none of them are retarded enough to buy into Valve's current shit, there's now just a more simple deal:

Linuxfags get some more ported games, while Valve has a backup option to deter Microsoft from going hyperjew mode on them.

Until Microsoft does something retarded enough its not going to go beyond that.

You mean like windows 10?

Total number of users is up, but the percentage is down, perhaps because of Steam sales…

Have people forgotten how percentages work?

SteamOS was never ment to be a "Desktop" distro. You want something for the desktop? Use some other distro.

Yes goy, the very idea is ludicrous! People actually having control over the devices they pay for, as if they actually own them.

Do you mean that it's ridiculous because it's unrealistic, or because it's undesirable?

Its not ridiculous as it might sound, since big companies makes loads of money or cut costs. But i wont expect it to be the norm for the average consumer.

Get rekt looniixfags

systemd is a collection of daemons, it's clear you don't know what you're talking about.

I would think they are waiting on a bigger mistake by microsoft. You can only do hardcore advertising once and you need everything ready to do it. The best time in my opinion to advertise hard would be when microsoft announces they will start charging monthly for windows 10.

What Linux needs to do is make a Windows clone.

As it stands the REAL competition for Microsoft will be chromeOS.

PC sales have been dropping for years so even desktop Windows isn't the cashcow it once was. Netbooks and mobile is the future.

That's insulting (but likely true).

He's not alone though.

linuxquestions.org/questions/interviews-28/interview-with-patrick-volkerding-of-slackware-949029/

What do you even mean with that?

Also, ChromeOS is actually Gentoo. Not even joking.

What do you mean with windows clone?

SteamOS was developed because Gabe was afraid windows was going to be closed source like Apple with the iOS store.

Turns out you can still use Steam in Windows10 so it's pointless.

Once they learned how to install Linux, they either preferred to because Linux autists or actually got a job thus reducing their vidio gaem tiemu.

user you're fucking stupid

user you're really fucking stupid

Linux is easier to use than Windows, the problem is every casual is taught Windows 1st so unless they have to they'll never switch because simply using Windows is hard for them, learning another OS is just impossible.

Why the fuck not?

I don't think it's even that: these people have no idea how to use or make a bootable usb image in the first place, let alone install a new OS on their computers

When did PC gaymen become so computer illiterate?

So basically, the linux users are stable but the windows users increased? Yeah, this is totally unprecedented!

steam users have no fucking standards, there's a reason why they have 40% windows 10 userbase. Your average steam user is either TF2 retarded hat trader, CSGO gambling addict or some poor normalfag who bought a AAA game that has steam DRM attached to it.

Although the percentage of Steam users is declining, the actual Linux population on Steam is growing. Steam is growing faster than the Linux population on Steam. Whether that's because of Windows chucklefucks making more than 1 smurf Steam account or something else, or just Steam Windows growth vastly eclipsing Linux in general, that's the situation.

You know funny thing about that I woke up this morning and windows 10 was installed on my Mint machine.

What are some other fun Obongu-based distros besides Linux Mint?
Looking for something a little different, I was thinking about Debian but every time I try it I end up formatting within a couple days because it's not as retard-friendly as the Ubuntu and Ubuntu derivatives

Most of them are really just Ubuntu with a different environment installed. Depending on the kind of change you're looking for you might be satisfied just by installing different desktop environments.

I've tried XFCE, GNOME, Mate, KDE, and obviously Unity with Ubuntu.
The only one I wasn't super fond of was XFCE but I don't think I spent enough time with it.

Any other fun DEs out there besides the ones I listed?

If you liked MATE you might like Cinnamon even more.

LXDE is the most lightweight environment that's still easily usable and popular. It's similar to Xfce.

If you want a genuinely new experience and are willing to read manuals, try a tiling wm like i3.

how good is video performance?
I'd like to play older games in xp

When casuals took over our hobby.

Several points you seem to be missing.

1. Market share percentage may be down, but total number of users is up.

2. I reckon everyone on Linux who runs Steam under WINE (which is a rather popular thing to do since you can play more games that way) is counted as a Windows user.

3. It's Steam. Linux users typically eschew DRM platforms. GOG might be more interesting to check.

Steam only asks me if I want to participate in the hardware survey when I'm using Wine and not the Linux client.

The only thing Valve cares about is their store.

Valve doesn't give a fuck about Linux gaming, they want to push their store.