Name a japanese video game with a good english dub

protip: you can't.

Resonance of Fate was okay

MGS

Do games that didn't have voice acting in the Nipponese version and got it in the English version count?

Deadly Premonition.

Most MGS games
DMC3
Odin Sphere
Dark Souls

Bayonetta
Bayonetta 2
The Wonderful 101
Kid Icarus: Uprising

Star ocean 4 has probably the best english dub

vid VERY related

The original Xenoblade, bonus points for not being dubbed by amerifats.

Oh, but I can. And this is coming from a regular undubber of games, at that:

Absolutely great job. Too bad Squeenix started slouching when it came to their own flagship series: Type0 HD's english dub was horrendous.

Why Metal Gear Solid of course.

I certainly liked how it wasn't just the usual suspects from American JRPG dubbing, which seemed rather refreshing. I do know there are those that still hate the dub regardless, but even then NoE included dual audio to satisfy both camps.

Melia's voice was perfect. Just the right amount of poshness. They were all good though.

/thread

Dragon's Dogma

I never see that brought up very much in general, let alone see actual copies around when around town looking for cheap vidya. How is the game?

Dark Souls and DMC are english native and have Japanese subs in the Japanese versions.

i honestly don't remember
i sold it a few years ago for 40 bucks

There was so little voice acting in that game (only a handful of major cutscenes) I forgot it even had any.

Got a lot of cool ideas and mechanics that are pretty fun, but a good number of completely bullshit ones too (limited number of large energy things, so you more than one redundant suit, and you might get a free suit AFTER you've built one of that type, you're fucked from a full collection). It's one of those games where the strengths are great and the problems are fixable so the sequel should be fucking amazing, but there never was a sequel.

Is this actually good? I saw it while I was out yesterday for like, $15.

Oh and the sound track is pretty good.

Most people like it, it has some flaws but it is a fun game.
It is VN/Escape the room game.

Literally /thread

Baroque
Final Fantasy 12

Shenmue.

I keep wondering about why nobody takes voice acting seriously.

If I had a video game I felt was going to be a masterpiece, I would hold auditions to get the right voice instead of hiring an Austin actor who's been in ten thousand other productions with the same voice, and I would do multiple takes until the delivery is nailed.

I think while Blazblues cast isn't perfect as a whole, it does has some really good specific voice acting examples.

Doug Erholtz as Hazama (the second voice of three voice actors the character has had) when he's having these huge paragraph long rants is just great to listen to.

Also in general the cast is excellent during the joke endings in particularly. They're all good exaggerated or expressive dialog.

It's just a shame though that they started replacing a lot of the voice actors for later games with people who just aren't as good or sound completely different, it's a huge disappointment every time it happens, and it always seems to happen to the characters with the most memorable voices.

protip: liking voice acting is heresy

Golden Sun?

Any Dynasty/Samurai Warriors. The original voices straight up makes all officers say the same shit after winning a duel, the dub gives them actual variation.

japanese words sound like baby talk

NieR

Awesome narration

bayonetta

Killer 7 comes to mind. Not much else though and I'm always having a hard time finding definite info on games that had english voice acting in their Japanese versions too.

I loved that shit. It was the perfect amount of ham to get me through the entire story mode and those little explanation vids.

I really miss that shit nowadays, everthing sounds so bland and polished that I'd rather listen to the OG dub. And partly due to the same american VAs doing every game.

The best dub of all dubs. The story and dialogue may be straightforward fun, but the English voice acting gives it an astonishing amount of energy. I couldn't love it more.

God damn Popo's voice pisses me off.
She's cute, useful as fuck, be it for utility or damage
But dear god If I have to hear
"POPO SEES THEIR WEAKSPOT" once more, I will absorb my head via my rectum

MGS and DMC were the first things that came to mind for me. i have a pretty high tolerance for dubs though, i can put up with some pretty horrible shit

i've been playing this in english and it still feels kind of awkward

My do most games even have voice acting to begin with? Why can't most games just have the options to turn voices off completely?

It's twice the shame, since she has the second best ending.

I'm positive DMC doesn't have a Japanese track.

the same reason your mom is a dick vacuum

Kingdom Hearts

Part of why they keep making FM versions of the games is because there's a demand for the english dub in Japan.

Ace Combat Zero.

For the same reason that you're not allowed to miss anything anymore. Companies spend money developing content, so they force the player to experience all of it. Unfortunately this hasn't led to voice acting being cut out, but mandatory instead. Gotta have that cinematic production.

I agree.

Radiata Stories
Silent Hill
Ace Combat

Better question : why don't most games have N64 speak? Unless you actually really want to create a serious atmosphere, this was always the ideal solution.

You don't even have to make them speak with the same stupid syllables. You could just make up a language, like the sims.

Does Deep Fear count?

This

Symphony of the Night. Some of the hammy delivery actually made it somewhat enjoyable. The only bad voice was Richter's, he sounded a little too old.

The PSP re-dub was just way too flat and dull sounding. Yuri Lowenthal makes Alucard sound like he's going to fall asleep in the middle of a take.

It's pretty good though it's a bit more obtuse than the previous game and has frame rate issues in menus

In the case of Bayonetta 1, the English audio was the original. It didn't get a Japanese dub until the Wii U rerelease.

I kind of wonder what it'll take for Japanese directors to get the okay for English audio first?

Not videogames.

Bump

I got one for about $40 last year, local shop had all the PS2 Gundam games, and I swept them all up.

It plays pretty well, with some neat bits like how the customization completely changes your attack options.

Imagine if XC had came out a few years later or if Melia's voice actress Jenna Coleman had gotten cast in a popular show like Doctor Who earlier, the voice of Melia would never have been the same.

Unless your in Europe, where you only have access to the Japanese dub.

The World Ends With You's is good. I dunno if the characters really sound their age, but it fits the characters.

rekt

Are dubs just terrible by nature, or are the makers of English dubs just exceptionally bad at their jobs? English audio is usually alright when it's the original language.

Westaboos exist?

My theory i that they can be done right but they're more trouble than they're worth. There's only around a handful of any dubs in any media being any good. Top dubs I can think of with anime are Cowboy Bebop and Redline. And even then they're not perfect.

Though I bet the VA's in japan are just as cringeworthy if you could understand half of that shit

EDF games.
Best dub ever.

No, it's because Disney is fuckhuge over there and they prefer the original disney voice acting. This on top of the fact that most of the other voice actors are professional actors and do their part incredibly well.

Shit on Disney as much as you want but they don't tolerate bullshit when it comes to their properties. This combined with Square Enix not pulling out any stops on their bigger, money making projects is another thing.

I think the problem with most companies is poor voice directors. Actors can have a natural talent but when given to a horrible voice director they absolutely shit the bed. Look at FEif and Xenblade X. It has several incredibly talented people in the voice cast that aren't just the shitty usual suspects, but they're mostly mediocre or shit within the game.

Kingdom hearts

Devils Third

God of War

Ass Creed 1

I think that has more to do with the fact japanese dub of disney charecters are bloody terrible. Donlad Duck in paticlar sounds horrid.

But even then most OC Kingdom heart charecters sounds alright bar terra and aqua. They even manage to get people like Mark Hamill,Christopher Lee and Leonard Nimoy for these games.

So yeah solid dub all round but terra,aqua and just about every Final fantasy charecter are terrible.

A number of factors are involved. English voice actors are forced to work with a lot of restrictions, while the Japanese voices actors are free to do whatever they want. Some restrictions can be be solved if the original developers are willing to put the effort, but usually they don't want to. Then there's the matter of getting good directions, since the voice actors aren't actually watching the scenes they're in, so someone has to tell them what's going on. If given poor direction, then everything can fall apart or sound off, regardless of how talented they are.

Well Bayonetta 1 and 2

Smash 4 English side

Even with Disney VAs it was still shit because of horrid awkward direction.

And since everyone seems to be missing this. If your game was natively dubbed in English but had nip subs (Dark Souls, DMC, Bayonetta, etc.) then it doesn't count.