Are These Worth Playing?

The current state of the industry has made me fatigued and frustrated with the industry, too many games aping movies, too many trying to be the game equivalent of Oscar bait.

So I figured I needed a pallet cleanser and so I looked to the games I didn't try last gen and I noticed I missed a lot of stuff from Japland. Japs tend to make more gamey games right?

I've added a bunch of games I've never played but heard good things about to my Amazon basket, are they all worth getting?

Lost Odyssey
Bayonetta
MGR Revengance
Vanquish
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Devil May Cry HD collection
Dragon's Dogma
Valkyria Chronicles
Ni No Kuni

Any one of these shit?

Heard mixed things about Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Ni No Kuni. On the plus side, I heard Lost Odyssey is a great RPG.

Also I'd recommend Bayonetta On 360 or Wii U, PS3 version runs at 30 FPS, Metal Gear Rising, and Dragon's Dogma. While you're at it try looking at gameplay of the Yakuza games on PS3 and see if that's your thing.

Unless you like JRPGs that drag on/are a big fan of Studio Ghibli's art, drop it. It's not worth 70 hours to play a slightly more interactive Pokemon unless you're into that. The rest are varying upon personal tastes even more so since they're decent games but you might not like the genre, like the character action games for MGR and DMC, or RPG/Strategy of Valkyria Chronicles.

Yeah I made sure to order the 360 version of Bayonetta, Even as someone who hasn't played it remember the upset at how shit the ps3 version was.

All of these either have functional PC versions or can be easily emulated, don't spend your money if you don't have to. Unless you're into collecting physical.

Bayonetta and Vanquish are also worth getting.

If you have a DS or you're willing to emulate, Infinite Space is a great game. And if you're going to play Dragon's Dogma, play it on PC for framerates higher than cinematic.

What?

Didn't it have a Wii version? Am I thinking of something else?

Good choice. Bayonetta is an incredibly fun game with loads of replay value. The only real thing that's annoying about that game are the QTEs, so it's the kind of game where you'll get used to them on repeat playthroughs.

You're thinking of something else I think. Granted that game had a DS version I think, I remember reading about that in Nintendo Power.

Well I added Ni No Kuni just to add another JRPG to the pile, and as I think about it, it's the only game on the list getting a sequel any time soon.

Ni no Kuni had a JP DS version that was pretty different and way closer to pokemon with stylus addons than the PS3 version, and had a different story.

Always wondered why that never came out in North America.

Heard its powersad, but a solid RPG all the same.

Top notch character action game.

Likewise. Once you git gud and realize that none of the bosses have to be fought on their terms and you can totally break sequence, it becomes really interesting. Same goes for Bayo.

It's Japan's take on the third person shooter, except it's not meant to be a cover-clinging shooting gallery. You're supposed to rocket around and kill robot commies while GOTTA GO FAST. Do play.

No idea.

DMC games are mostly good and I don't recall anything about the HD port fucking things up.

One of the best action RPGs around, but it's pretty rough around the edges. If they had gotten a sequel a few years after that polished up those rough edges, it could have been the best damned action RPG ever made.

Very neat aesthetic, good mechanics, good story. Highly recommend.

I did not expect this game to have so much pokemon collecting and busywork. It's alright.

The triple version of Bayonetta runs at 60fps with the hdd install patch. Still looks like garbage compared to the other versions though.

Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Maybe
Maybe

Seriously though, if you don't play Bayonetta you're fucking missing out.

You think you're doing cool shit? Guess what nig, that's only scraping the surface. Bayonetta is fun now matter how you play it, and the better you get at it, the more fun it becomes, and it keeps challenging you. Bayonetta 2 is even better in some ways.

They're not gimmicky games, they're actually legitimately great, and the story is very coherent if you pay attention.

I assume Sony offered to help with the PS3 version in NA and Nintendo either didn't help for the DS one, or exclusivity, or maybe just the market wouldn't be there. I would've gotten the collector's edition for it, if it had come out. Instead I just have the JP collector's edition. The book is really nice, I just can't read moon.

Yeah, within a year or so, I think. It's a decently different JRPG if you're used to the usual, like SMT or FF. I enjoyed the animations and the music, too, so it was worth it to me, but man I wish some parts didn't drag on the way they did.

That's news to me.

i hope you like "war is so kawaii!" stuff, just ignore the ranking in the missions and blow shit up.

Vanquish is the kind of fun.
But it has no rules.
There isn't a specific way they want you to play, there is no scoring rules or combat rules that would influence you to play the most interesting and entertaining way possible, there isn't even a system in place to gauge your performance at all, they just score you based on how many enemies you take down, and give you a time bonus for finishing a level within a specific time-limit.

You need to go into the game intending to discover and do impressive things for no reason or audience.
Otherwise, you can just get through the whole game behind cover or just spamming bullet-time, and be no wiser, also not very entertained.

It's got regenerating health, so there's a lot of room to be sloppy and stumble through the whole game without feeling like you've discovered an stylish and effective way of flowing through stages. For this reason, I would recommend playing on Hard right off-the-bat when you are learning, to help you better understand what maneuvers are stupid.

If you're still interested in Vanquish, I would like to also recommend MadWorld.
It's another game where the rules are not formed well and players tend to fall into a simple repetitive grind for going through stages, but there is plenty of style to go out and discover if you feel like it.
It's also got a great soundtrack and a fantastically infectious aesthetic.
Unfortunately, you can't unlock Hard mode without beating the game once.

That's a stella line up of games to play there.

You got the other one where someone told him to take the glasses and he's like they aren't coming off

It's false.
The HDD install just fixes loading times.

Don't play Ninja Gaiden Sigmm its pretty shity, you should play Ninja Gaiden Black instead if you like it play the second one and stop there

That's the first I'm hearing about a Ninja Gaiden 'Black'. I thought Sigma was the only way to play the original on 7th gen. Now there's another fucking remake?

I believe Black isn't on 7th gen.
I think it's on the original Xbox. If I'm using google right.

Oh well my original Xbox is out of commission I'm afraid. If there's no other option, is Sigma worth the buy? What makes it shit compared to the other versions?

Ninja Gaiden Black was an updated version of the original on OG Xbox. Sigma is a different version of the Xbox original under a different director.

I hear it's a matter of preference as tow which version is better

Oh I thought it was just a port to PS3. What difference are we talking here.

Are we talking a Twin Snakes situation?

MGR revengance totally.

**>this exploiting
Reminder: this is Hideki Kamiya's fate.

if you have a 360 then get Ninja Gaiden Black over Sigma, and vanilla NG2.

forgot to mention that NG Black is available on the 360 digital store, thats how I got it.

He only made one of the games listed. Two if you count 1/3 of the DMC collection.

I can personally vouch for the following:
Bayonetta
MGR Revengance
Vanquish
Devil May Cry HD collection (1, 3, and 4. Ignore the others)
Dragon's Dogma

I haven't played the rest

Also mind the platform you're playing them on. Do not play Dragon's Dogma on anything but PC otherwise you'll have to deal with sub 20 framerates, and don't play Bayonetta on the PS3 for similar reasons. You also might want to avoid DMC3 on PC, it's so poorly optimized to the point where most people get better performance emulating the console version.

How did Bayonetta PS3 sell so well compared to the Xbox version?

I don't understand, watching the PS3 footage hurts my head with all the frame skipping and stutter.

some extended sequences and levels, some new weapons, playable Rachel with her own levels (pic related), and a mission mode

black is harder, sigma is fuller

however, sigma also lacks the originals in the arcade

seconding the avoidance PC version of DMC3
Some people go gaga for the fact they can mod in style-switching on PC. But it runs shit and it's a picky-eater for controllers.
Besides you don't want to mod in such a powerful advantage on your first play-through, right?

Alternatively, the PC version of DMC4 is fantastic and has extra features.
But my info is way out of date, I haven't even looked at DMC4 Special Edition, which is probably a better deal now.

They were sold with Xbox 360 footage.
Tbh, the PS3 version is bad and disgraceful, but it's still good enough that it's worth playing if all you have is PS3.
It's good enough for you to love the game, but once you love the game you will weep over how poorly it got treated with this port.

avoidance of*

I have the Wii U port.

Anyone have that full list of CUHRAZY games?

sigma 1 is okay if you can't play black on an old fatbox or emulate (do fatbox emulators exist? i don't use them often)

sigma 2 is fucking terrible, it made a giant mess out of the great game that is ninja gaiden 2, it made the game easier, ruined the weapon upgrades, and messed up the gore

I honestly never liked how Hayashi used the girls in his games. Extra missions, I'm down for that. But his habit of forcing you to stop playing as Ryu and play as someone else for a while every few missions always bugged me. Rachel in particular, because you can get her weapon anyway, and her moveset is pretty dull.

It's nice to have, but not great to be shoved on you.

DMC 1/3/4
Bayo 1/2
MGR:R
NG 1/2
Godhand
Vanquish
Wonderful 101
Transformers Devastation

thats all i can think of. any other anons fill in the blanks if i missed any.

If you have a Wii U and like action games like Bayonetta. Do yourself a HUGE favor and play W101.
It's got a rough, unpolished beginning. But it gets on it's feet and keeps picking up momentum until the fantastic finale.

Zone of the Enders 2 is a cuhrazy mech game. the first one's slower though
P.N-03 for gamecube is a stylish shooter

Lost Odyssey is shit.

Bayonetta is fantastic.

MGR is worthwhile.

Dragons Dogma is good but unfinished.

I'm not really into shooters but Vanquish is a fairly good one.

DMC HD is great if you haven't got them, DMC2 is shit, DMC3 is the best of them.

Haven't played any of the others.

yes. The rest I haven't played.

Just to be clear, get Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. It has the base game and the additional content because Capcom are jews like that. Also, only play it on PC.

The version I've picked is Dark Arisen. However it's on PS3, for the time being I have no PC to run something like Dragon's Dogma better than the consoles.

Reason being is that it has notable framerate drops throughout. PC is buttery smooth however.

If you've got the cash to spend on all these games just buy a vaguely decent graphics card and pirate them, then buy the ones you like later.

A potato can run Dragon's Dogma better than the consoles, trust me. And when people say DD has a shit framerate on consoles they aren't just saying that because muh 30FPS, it can go single digits when magic gets involved in large fights which is unbearable in an action game.

I've generally heard decent things about it.

Is fucking great.

It is pretty short, but replayable. Camera can suck sometimes, and blocking parrying can be finicky. However it is very good at making you feel like a bad ass. In spite of its flaws I highly recommend it.

Heard the praise, never played.

Hear it is pretty masochistic in a fun way.

2 is dogshit. The rest is god tier. To put it into perspective; the devs put 2 so far ahead in the timeline to distance the rest of their games from it.

Seems to have a love it or hate it vibe. Plenty of Holla Forums praises it, some conditionally as you've seen in this thread. It always finds a way to grind my gears enough that I swear off playing it every year it seems. However I also just had a buddy get sucked into it recently.

I hear plenty of praise for this as well. Unfortunately it is in my backlog for the time being.

I played for a few hours before losing the save data for it and haven't gone back yet. It seemed to be a decent rpg though.

formatting

gay

So, why are you forcing this meme and how successful has your campaign been?
It's a really great idea to put reddit behind it, because then anyone who complains that you're forcing a meme can be labeled as a redditor!

Only a fucking redditfag would be familiar with the reddit formatting.

Faggot outed himself.

Yes
WiiU Version is superior
Fuck Yes
FUCK YES
Yes
WHY HAVEN'T YOU ALREADY PLAYED THIS?
FUCKING YES
yes
Yes

I think Black is missing them, too. Only the first version on the Xbox without Black's additional content has them

Can a Core 2 Duo at 3.0 GHZ run at least as well as consoles?

If you're considering buying Lost Odyssey, you have a 360 that NG Black will play on. That is the far superior version, so play it on that.
Also, what said

Bayonetta 1 and 2 are my favorite modern games easily, worth playing for sure.

I thought Ni No Kuni was dogshit. The combat mechanics don't mesh and it's incredibly tedious because of it. I spent one fight kiting a boss waiting for the Welsh thing to drop mana because it was early and I didn't have many other options. Maybe I was doing something wrong but it was boring rather than challenging.

I like MGR, Bayonetta and Dragon's Dogma. I've been itching to play Vanquish because it looks refreshing for a shooting game.

Oh for shitsake, you niggers need to learn how to Google. One of you faggots is right though about what Sigma is, which is another update of Ninja Gaiden. Extra shit, yet they got rid of the ports completely and it's easier..

Ninja Gaiden vanilla has the Ninja Gaiden Trilogy from the SNES as an extra. Which is the three fucking games from the NES ported to the SNES. Ninja Gaiden Black gets rid of those and gives you Ninja Gaiden arcade which is a shitty arcade beatem up. Ninja Gaiden Sigma has nothing because fuck you.

Google fucking exists for a fucking reason.

what
why
Does it have shittons of content or are japs just shit at porting

get it nigger, the soundtrack is great.
It's a good game
It takes awhile to get into but it's worth it
Get it nigger
ehh. I'm trying to play through the first one but it's so shit since it's mostly mash attack and dodge when a boss comes. People keep arguing with me that the combat is really deep but if you don't ever need to use it than what's the point of learning awesome moves?

lol you again

lol you again

With all of the people who have told you you're retarded, how could you tell?

Claims that you don't need to use all techniques just proves you're playing on normal difficulty, not Dante Must Die. Questioning why you would want to show off different techniques in a stylish action game proves you don't understand the genre. gg

Ni No Kuni is shit.

Valkyria Chronicles is overrated as fuck.

Bayonetta is watered down dmc.

the rest are good, i suggest Dragons Dogma, the dmc HD collection (even though i find replaying action games boring) and MGR

No that's only you. Everyone else tells me to play in certain ways or Dante must die mode and i'm working on it. But i can't recommend it to anyone like what OP asked. I think you're just upset that someone isn't enjoying your game. Hell one other guy even told me that DMC 1 & 2 is shit and it gets better at 3 & 4 which is the only reason i'm trucking through. Reread my post

And that guy's either underage or a moron. I understood you were talking about DMC1, that doesn't make you less wrong.

Ha how about you reread my post?

Like i said i'm working on it. First i have to truck through the shitty normal mode where you don't need anything besides mash a button to kill non threatening enemies. The bosses are decent, especially that giant lava spider.

The game penalize you for every second spend on cover, that alone is enough reason to not play it like gears

They don't actually "penalize" you.
They just have a vague %-value that grows in the mission results screen over the course of a campaign.
There is no actual score penalty, and even if there was, there is absolutely no par set for what a good score is on each mission.
The only par in place is the time bonus. Even on challenge missions, the only record saved is how quickly you eliminated all the waves.

All I can do when I play vanquish, is come up with a new way to go through a level, and just restrict myself to that plan no matter how stupid or hard it is.
Because if I want to make the game easier, it gets stupid easy. By just spamming bullet-time, and using cover.

Please don't make yourself play Ni No Kuni. Everything else seems great.

I haven't played NG, so I ain't sure about that one.