Can we debunk this whole 'profit is an incentive for businesses to treat their customers better' meme?

Can we debunk this whole 'profit is an incentive for businesses to treat their customers better' meme?

Can you? I'd like to see you try.

A conscious business owner would see it that way. If you provide a service and people pay well for it, you could do an even better service and get paid more for an outstanding quality.

But we're in /ideology/ so having a business already makes you a burgeoise/classcuck/imperialistic/racist/homophobe/cancer/aids

We will be replacing 5% of breadcrumbs and flour with sawdust in our products. Because it's cheaper and we need that delicious profit.

t. Porky

P.S.: Oink oink

It's sometimes true, but sometimes the opposite is true. For example mobile service providers, they treat you like shit because if they do then customers who are already in won't have the energy to leave the service or modify it cause they know they'll be treated like shit if they try, so they just suck it up. And yeah, sometimes you can increase profits by lowering costs rather then improving service to increase incomes, and often it's the customer who suffers like porky here mentioned.

As pointed out by , it can be true, but it isn't necessarily. Even neoclassical economists will tell you that monopolies and oligopolies have little incentive to treat customers better for the sake of profit because of their positions within the market. They can earn very little further profit by improving their reputation among consumers. That's why your phone company and TV company are almost certainly awful.

Ironically, you're more in /ideology/ than anyone here.

Everybody who knows even the basics of economics knows profit incentive makes people act in a way as to get the most profit.

This does not automatically mean better service.

Its not, its an incentive to dupe customers into thinking they are being treated better while doing all it can to fuck them for more profit

Profit isn't an incentive for businesses to treat their customers better.

Profit is an incentive for businesses to make customers believe they're being treated better. Businesses can do whatever underhanded shit they want and still make a profit as long as it's kept unobtrusive.

Do you guys have an data to back up your claim?

What kind of data? "Profit is an incentive for better service" doesn't sound like the sort of thing that's easy to measure. Anyway, do you have any data of your own?

ITT: every business owner ever is a slaver and raped my family.

Why is it easier to assume businesses want to treat you like shit and increase profits by dropping quality of service?
Position in the market does indeed increase when a service is good or at least considered better than another of the same kind. This is the reason why brands compete, to see who gets the most business.
Granted, some of them will use shady practices and underhand shit to boost position, but not all.
Therefore, if you receive a service you feel is satisfactory, you are within your right to support it or spread the word or not. But if you don't, what exactly is stopping you from taking your business elsewhere?

A decline in profit from people taking their shit some place else does mean something to the porgy methinks.

Its called basic logic.

Profit incentive -> incentives making profit

No more, no less. Come back to me when you can prove that 100% of the time, giving better service makes you more profit. Remember, giving better service also costs money.

Yeah. Comcast.

I wish I could get better internet but all the ISPs on my area are equally shitty.
What now?

It costs money indeed. You're failing to account for the fact that if you're investing in better service it's because the returns are worth it. No 'basic logic' can deny this.

No one will invest in improving an aspect of their business that isn't expected to make profit.

What is reading comprehension. I never claimed it was the best. I claimed it is not a false premise. Good try though what with the greentext and all.

Then you are fucked, but think about this: If one of those ISPs improved ther service, would you choose it?
Assuming you say yes, and many people do the same, would that not mean an increase in profit for the company? If the analytics show that the improvement in service is what caused the influx of clients and therefore profit, how is that profit not an incentive to increase service quality even further?

Dont get triggered please

If they cared about logic, they wouldn't be leftists in the first place.

Why are you assuming every investment always pays off? It's possible that incomes don't increase enough to cover the extra costs of better service, or that there's a risk this might happen.

The key word is 'if'. you might choose it, but if it hasn't happened so far then there's a good chance it's just not profitable enough.

Nigger. Not every fucking investment is good. I can spend 90% of my fucking budget on whores to suck my customers off but thats not going to mean it get any return on it, people are not going to bring their car to my shop if i ask too much even if they get a free blowjob. ROI, look it up.

Best post so far.

I'm not assuming every investment pays off. I'm saying every investment is EXPECTED to pay off. When you decide to invest in an aspect of your business, you expect it to cover the cost of the investment plus something extra which is the net profit. If that doesn't happen, you have made a bad investment and should analyze where you went wrong and try again.

Also, yes, if it hasn't happened yet, it may mean it's not profitable or that the ISPs have no reaaon to improve their service since they receive profit even without.

It would only take one of those ISP offering a better service than the others to topple that balance of equal shittiness. You agree people would flock to it, giving the other ISPs the finger. What do you think would happen then? Would the other ISPs adjust their business model to the current situation or would they just let the thriving ISP have their business?

And you guys dare to talk about logic. It's almost, almost, as if you've never tried to have a business of your own ever.

Sure thing kid.

You are literally agreeing with me that profit doesnt mean better service, because it doesnt neccecarily generate more sales so that you get profit from the investment.

Your entire argument is

read

So you do own a business then? If this is the case, I will admit you can run your business to the ground any way you choose to friend. If not, shut the fuck up.
While not EVERY investment pays off, those that do mean an increased profit. If the investment does not pay off you're a lousy decision maker and need to check where or how to invest.
This is not difficuly leftbabby, you can understand.

Here's your (You), since you're struggling so much.

I already did you fucking retard.

You say
And we say

Let me play out what the comment chain on this will be

Thanks sherlock. Let me try to get it through to your thick skull now.

IF YOU CAN MAKE MORE PROFIT BY EXPLOITING WHATEVER LEVERAGE POSITION YOUR COMPANY HAS IN THE MARKET BY SPENDING AS LITTLE MONEY ON CUSTOMER SERVICE AS POSSIBLE, AS LONG AS THE DROP PROFIT FROM SALES IS LESS THAN THE MONEY SAVED, THEN YOU MAKE MORE PROFIT. HENCE, PROFIT DOES NOT INCENTIVISE CUSTOMER SERVICE, IT INCENTIVISES MAKING PROFIT.

Now go do your homework, kiddo.

No, because it is. That said, it's not universally the best way to maximize profit and the idea businesses won't treat their customers like shit if profit is largely unaffected or improved by bad treatment is dumb as shit.

Take health insurance for example, they'll make you jump through all sorts of hoops to get treatment and bill you an obscene amount because a nurse who was out of network wandered in the room. They do this because there are no real alternatives that doesn't try to fuck you over when there's money to be paid. Such an alternative would be costly because insurance makes their money denying claims and hoping nobody has the autism to fight it.

I think you've won the thread comrade

Why is Holla Forums so triggered today?

The debate.

Why are petty borgys so disgusting

They feel better than everyone else because they managed to be a boot that steps on 5-10 people.

Lots of evidence of COINTELPRO, Reddit and SRS faggotry, topped off with autistic re-res shitposting is probably what did it.

Anyone that works in retail can easily debunk the "better service" meme.

Well, I suppose it depends on what's meant by "better service," really. If the measure of "better service" is absolute subservience to the whims of the customer, then service is better than ever because employees are so afraid of losing their jobs they have no choice but to grovel and scrape to people exhibiting even the most shitty behavior. Short of outright and obvious theft, no behavior is too gross to be rewarded by the kowtowing of the common employee or "manager."

But if you mean qualitative service, then no, things are obviously worse than ever. Old people are a good barometer for this. They seem to still think these are the days when the retail worker/salesman was hired for his expertise or knowledge of the things he's hawking, when in reality any warm body will do. Staff numbers have been slashed down to nothing, so there've been department consolidations that make the scope of duties, to say nothing of the sort of knowledge required to be even passingly knowledgeable on all the products therein, beyond the ability of any one individual to accomplish.

For example, ten years or so ago, a department store like Kohl's would have separate managers and employees working bedding, bath, furniture/decor, and appliances/electronics. Now they're all rolled into one super-department called "housewares," which can easily cover a third of the store, and will have employee to cover the entire thing, most likely a part timer, except for peak/holiday hours which might see the one full-time department "manager" along with one or two part timers.

Or if you'd like to examine the degradation in quality with Home Depot's customer service. They used to have a reputation for hiring former contractors, or people that used to work in the field of whatever department they are now in (hardware, electrical, flooring, etc). If you had a question requiring some level of expertise, chances were the person in the orange apron would be able to help you.

But those days are long gone. Employee knowledge extends only as far as the "training" videos they're made to watch go. Successive layoffs, wage decreases, and other factors have pared their employees down to that special mix of "competent enough" and "desperate enough" to do and say as they're told, but the amount of them that actually have experience in their department is much, much smaller. It isn't uncommon to ask even a basic question and get stared at blankly. If you have any sort of specialized need or question, good luck, because if it wasn't in the training video they're probably not going to know what the fuck you're talking about.

tl;dr, quality of service is fucking abysmal, but if you've got money there's almost no limit to how far over backwards a business will bend to get it

Ok friend, nice red big letters.

I actually agreed with this. I just said better service CAN be an option for profit incentive, which is what the OP was trying to debunk. So I don't even know why your anus has stretched to the approximate circumference of Jupiter.

Every business ever is just one big company right? There are different brands for a reason, which one you take your dirty college bum to is no one's business but yours.

That's right IF you can make more profit that way. What if improving customer service actually makes you profit more? What then? Your evil tale of the big bad meanies with munney comes to an end and you find no reason to live. Distasteful.

Also, this is assuming you (as the business owner) decide to exploit underhand tactics and decide to fuck over the rest of your payroll.

My final point is this: Profit can be an incentive for better customer service, JUST LIKE ANY OTHER THING THAT CAN GENERATE PROFIT INCLUDING BACKHAND OPERATIONS YOU LEFTISTS WONT SHUT UP ABOUT.

The original point of the topic was to debunk whether better customer service is a profit incentive or not. Fucking lefturds.

There is no ethical consumption under capitalism, classcuck

Kek

Awful strawman tbh.

I surely hope all your goods were produced by your own working hand and not some evil company. that would surely mean a nervous breakdown for you since it's unethical.

He precisely told you the opposite. Are you stupid?

Lmao nice spooks nerd

The producst were produced by workers whose surplus value was stolen by the cappie, the only "unethical" figure here is him, the company belongs to the workers

Obviously.

So THIS is the leftist delusion where it all ties. The porgy is the evil machine but you are entirely entitled to consume their products without having to feel the hypocrisy because he's the bad one, not you!

It's made all the more pleasant because you cucks turn into profit for the porgy. Delightful.

top kek, spoken like a true faggot. You can barely realize ways to make profit without having to resort to illegal shit due to all the brainwashing you're on. Marx's wild ride never ends.

The products were made by the workers while porky just sat on his big fat ass doing fuck nothing.

Read the above. Also there's no other option since we are living in the fucking capitalist system and the only way to end porky's exploitation of workers is to end the fucking capitalist system which is what true leftist though is about you fucking retard.

I bet you posted this using a smartphone. Hahaha cuck, you're argument is invalid. CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK.

Alright dude. Keep doing nothing but whining online about the evil money people while buying their trademarked products that some niggers are paid to build/manufacture. It'll just inflate the system that much more. hueahuehue

There are a very large number of companies who produce shitty products and still have massive profits.

In fact, all the biggest companies. You think a Mcdonalds is good value for money?

The workers made the products, not the cappie

I am entitled to consume whatever I want because they are all my property

top kek

pathetic

On top of that, all the largest, most profitable banks, Goldman Sachs etc, have the worst business practices.

In 2007 their customers got FUCKED and yet they still profited.

They are currently still profiting, their customers are currently still fucked.

Value isn't some infinite thing, when you get it, it came from somewhere. Profit necessitates deficit. There can never be profit without exploitation.

wrong

What else would you have us consume?

Also:
does not compute. Capitalism is is outdated, not "evil".

Why would they?

Profit certainly allows them to do that , but most business prefer not investing in the well being of their cogs, most workers are expendable.
Furthermore, how would increasing the well being of workers help the business profit?
Whatever productivity/ well meaning it would earn is outweighed by exploitation and whatever detriments from the perceived opinion of your enterprise can be remedied by PR bullshit at a lesser cost, including propagating the idea that you don't exploit your workers while you actually do.

Sure, it could be that seeding resentment reaps you vindictive behavior in the long run but I highly doubt it. In my opinion , as long as the change is gradual, whatever conditions there are become the new standard.Even more so as technology facilitates misinformation while raising the material conditions of the general population, removing poverty/starvation from the things that could break the delusion.