CGA graphics thread

ITT post comfy old pixel art and graphics, particularly of the CGA persuasion. New stuff that done in the old style is welcome too.
AESTHETIC

Other urls found in this thread:

thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/q3d_mercury_brick.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=Tfh0ytz8S0k
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

CGA was already pretty much out when I got my first computer. I was an EGA kid. 640x350 high resolution, 16 glorious colors nigga.

Is that Street Rod 2?

What are these from?

First two are Test Drive 1 and Street Rod II. Dunno about the third, I never played it.

I don't know. I've been trying to find out for a couple of years. Maybe someone in the thread will be able to ID them.

Hey OP, your pictures are .png but they're full of artifacts anyways.

There, it's fixed. Don't be such a fuckboy next time. Notice the filesize, and also that its been constrained to a limited palette.

Yeah I know. I had to convert them fro a jpg version. I tried to repair them but I had limited success. Retards that post to blogs don't know how to properly save pixel art for shit.

That's great user! I've got a few more that needs help. What program did you use?

I just used PS and changed the color depth to indexed color

Like these are better, but still not exact

The originals probably had lots of dithering

80s as fuck

Are animated GIFs ok?

Go VGA or go home

80s thread?

Go for it.

if anyone wants, i found a decent VHS filter for video editing. post a gif or webm and if its filesize is small enough i can add the VHS effects to it, such as scratches/noise, a scrolling tape wrinkle etc

i've also been dicking around with a dot matrix filter that actually gets a decent CRT look in images with good contrasts

Nothing more 80s than Max Headroom

Sounds good.

Huh… I still have an old dot matrix printer. Ink ribbons are probably all dried up, but those are easy enough to re-saturate. Do they even make 36 pin Parallel to USB converters anymore?

I was born in 1990, it's just something I heard about

I use one of those at work. The entire records system is in dos still. It just werks.

Also does anyone know if there's a way to play modern PC games on VGA mode?

Magnetic tapes are one of the few storage formats that apparently do not degrade if maintained properly. Optical media is garbage for this.

Incidentally, this is why proper Bank of America-tier database backups and restores are so slow and costly, because it's a very slow format also.

A quick search of Amazon suggests that they do.

Nice digits. Got a link to the VHS filter? Come to think of it, you could just use one of those VGA to composite boxes, a VCR and a capture card if you don't mind a low resolution.

Apparently most modern graphics cards don't support it.

i don't have a link to it, but I pirated adobe's cs6 suite and use premierepro. there's a customizable vhs filter called Universe that you can put over any video, it looks great

There are still some x89 single board computers being made. I wonder if you could use them to make a modern 'retro' DOS to WIN3.1 build?

I've been seeing so much 80s throwback shit lately it's been ridiculous. I mean shit, I even think one of the US candidates wants to recreate the 80s.

You mean that Donald guy? Isn't he just a bussinessman?

With any luck meme magic will forge a temporal loop back to the 80's and things will stop sucking for two and half decades until 2007 rolls around again.

Yeah but he rose to fame in the 80s and became an icon of business then. When he says "Make American Great Again", what time period do you think he's talking about? I even tried making a thread about it on Holla Forums to see what they thought since they like Trump and all I got was "The only good thing about the 80s is everyone was white"

Honestly looking at all this stuff. I feel like the 80s was the source, and it slowly started dying out over the years. It was probably due to people being able to throw money around more and take more chances back then.

That's wrong though. More nigs may have been properly integrated into society compared to today, where the vast majority of nigs act like fucking rabid baboons who say white men owe them welfare checks and reparations while they never had slave ancestors in the first place.
It was only just in the news last week that some nig in new york splattered a bag of shit in a woman's face, and forced a bag of shit down her pants.

the source is the west.

The 80's really were a sort of mini golden age. Well hot pink age.

hot pink manliest color

My kind of thread

You damn right!

ARE YOU KEEPING UP WITH THE COMMODORE, CUZ THE COMMODORE IS PICKING UP WITH YOU

your CGA still renders only 3 colors? how weak

Anyone happen to have that VN that had furshit in it?

Other than Hotline Miami and Drift Stage (which at last report had gone to shit), what modern games feature this particular 80s aesthetic?

Mind sharing the filter in case the thread dies?

VA-11 HALL-A just came out a few days ago. It's a VN which exists primarily for pretty pixels and sweet tunes. There's a demo, if you care to try it.

Embed super relevant. What most people know as CGA is only because of hardware issues and laziness on the part of publishers and programmers.

i already did

i didn't save the link to the torrent but pirating it was a fucking bastard, so be prepared for some danknet-level shit to get it all working the way you want

Is Adlib and PC Speaker welcome here?

That's pretty fantastic, wonder if you could get that to work on DOSBox with color palettes.

I was thinking the same thing. What with all of the CRT simulation autism with MEDNAFEN and such, it seems only logical that someone would rig a display plugin to take horizontal pairs of pixels and average their color. to get more colors… problem is, like the video covers, later CGA games had no support for composite displays, because VGA didn't support it.

I found that demo he mentioned.

I wonder how soon that happened, I mainly thought it'd be interesting for the early ones with only CGA.

Do they not make composite cards for modern computers?

Closest I've ever had was an AGP card with s-video and composite-output, which I used to confuse faggots on halfchan back when it was still a sekrit klub. I never tried running CGA games through it, because I wasn't aware of the difference between RGBI and composite when it came to CGA.

There's several old PCI cards with composite.

The mothership has arrived

Oh shit Voodoo 5 6000s

They're actually this

thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/q3d_mercury_brick.htm

They were intended for business/government use for simulators for the most part, $10,000 a pop afair

Im pretty sure there are more than 4 colours there

Commodore uses a different color system and palette limit.
youtube.com/watch?v=Tfh0ytz8S0k

I'm not sure why I didn't embed that.