Anybody here into Legacy of Kain?

At the time of the series 'early years it set itself apart for its voice acting (especially Simon Templeman) and narratives. The series is in stasis since Defiance.

They to hop on the MMORPG bandwagon with Nosgoth with it not surprisingly underwhelming. There was talk in 2015 of there being a "50/50 chance" of a single player game coming out during the Xbox One/PlayStation 4 generation.

Fact is if they don't get Kain and Razael back with original voice actors it's pretty much a dead series. The combat and levels were decent to meh, but the two main characters and voice ating was really good

I am a big fan of the series, and I think it is better of dead right now, modern gaming is shit.

I've only played up through Soul Reaver 2 so far, but I've loved them all, though that last one had quite a few issues.

Blood Omen or Soul Reaver?

And then nosgoth shut down like a month ago
It was also a competitive shooter, not an mmo

What ? It shut down already ?
It failed that hard ?

This pretty much, just look at the details of that Dead Sun cancelled game and you'll see that we're better off never getting a new Legacy of Kain game.

Squeenix's idea of a Legacy of Kain game is a game without Kain or a Legacy.

Yep
And apparently the devs had no idea it was coming, either

Has aged considerably over the last 20 years, but the dark presentation and design of the world still hold up. Worth at-least checking out.
Great action-adventure game with fantastic atmosphere, ends with a cliffhanger even worse than Halo 2's or MML2's.
Good follow-up, mostly more of the same but the game goes pretty far out with the wacky time-travel hijinks.
Kind of like a clunkier, stiffer Soul Reaver, with an odd story that's hard to follow if you didn't play the original Blood Omen and comprehend the time travel stuff in Soul Reaver 2
Takes the series in a different direction with DMC-like combat and level design, and allowing both Kain and Raziel as playable characters. Not half-bad, and provides decent closure to the story.
Bland ASSFAGGOTS/CRAPCUNTS-type thing that nobody played, and has very little to do with LoK anyway.
Thank God this stinker got canned, looked even worse than Thi4f. This game shared a lot of odd similarities with Shadow of Mordor too, it seems, although there wasn't any Dead Sun devs working on Shadow of Mordor to the best of my knowledge.

Dead Sun was a joke IMO, for starters the writer thought every dead vampire could turn into Raziel, which is not true, then those painful twilight-style jump animations, it is clear it was based on a shitty fanfic.

The devs had to pay people to continue playing it

Damn. And I considered getting into it before.
Good thing my friends talked me out of it.

As someone who loves the series: Don't ever fucking make a new Legacy of Kain. Don't make anything that has anything to do with the franchise. LET IT STAY DEAD FOR FUCKS SAKE.

To be fair, the franchise didn't exactly have the most complex gameplay mechanics

No need for very complex mechanics, in fact LoK has experimented with more mechanics during its lifetime than say, Uncharted, hell, even MGS has expanded on its own as well.

I don't know, the absolutely linear world progression, uninventive new abilities, and complete lack of vampire enemies made it pretty weak in the gameplay department. The last bit with all the enemy gates was also pretty bad.

Soul Reaver 2 was originally planned to have vampires as well, but it was changed due to how Raziel renounces his humanity by the end of the game.

The problem is that vampires made the combat interesting. Unless you had full health, you had to find something in the environment to kill them. Without that, combat was just wailing on enemies while occasionally dodging.

I also forgot to mention the complete lack of boss fights in Soul Reaver 2.

Yep, that was weird, Defiance didn't have many boss fights either.

One of my favourite series.

If it ever comes back, it's gonna be a reboot by Squeenix for sure, they'll just relaunch Dead Sun or whatever it was called, since they wanted to new heroes and and basically a story that doesn't require to know anything that happened before.

a unique series, but it needs to stay dead, i wont be able to bear some fucking triple A cunts mutilating with a shitty reboot, let it stay dead people

The only franchise that I forgive shit gameplay for because of how top-notch everything else is.

I agree with this.

To the thread at large: Which is your favorite entry in the series? Years ago, mine used to be Soul Reaver 2, because I had so much fun watching the cutscenes. Then I replayed the games a few years ago for the first time in a long time and while I still think SR2 had a pretty good story, it dropped quite a ways. My favorite at this point is the original Blood Omen because I think the gameplay was the best despite how archaic it was, and scenes and dialogue aren't too long usually. You can usually do whatever while Kain's talking about whatever happened to catch his attention (unless you try to open the menu, leave the screen, or step on a red marker).

I liked the most first Soul Reaver for its soundtrack, the spirit realm spooky design, optional map exploration with secrets to find, utilizing environmental props in combat and psychologically believable main character. Any other game in the series was lacking in some aspects, if compared to this title.

Defiance probably, because of how satisfying the story was. Gameplay went full action combat by then, but I didn't really mind. Followed closely by SR2, I can quote long bits of conversation from that one.

Blood Omen (the original) by far, by a fucking landslide. It's the only game in the series with impeccable gameplay, and the storyline has a purity to it that the later games with their retcon time-travel bullshit never touched.

Its music and general art style is also top fucking notch, technical aspects of its age aside.

I just wish there had been a better Kain focused game after Blood Omen. Those that we got felt a bit generic to me.

I've never played the original BO because I couldn't get it to work somehow. It kept freezing in the first screen. I read the timeline for it around the time of playing SR2 to understand everything.