Thoughts on this gen?

No fanboy
No PC, just consoles.

What are your thoughts on this gen?

To me, it's pretty shit. I don't know if the demographic changed or if this gen really is shitty.

Other urls found in this thread:

gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-06-30-nintendo-nx-may-capitalize-on-largely-ignored-kids-market-dfc
youtu.be/2Ep8f-ChSbE?t=7m20s
archive.is/pAXgi
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Completely mediocre and uneventful.

A solid 6/10.

complete garbage. Only people enjoying it are COD kids, as always.

Home consoles are dead

Handhelds are still good i guess

Considering most modern games that want to take on a public that is never satisfied are projects with a cost of several dozen millions they can't risk appealing to just a niche audience.
I'd say games are now more than ever a mainstream industry and that we are finally out of the loop.
We shouldn't even care about AAA games anymore, nor discuss them, its all lost. But here we are, clinging to the addictive escapism, hoping the next game is good enough to forget how miserable we are.

Its fucking awful

this should be up on a wall somewhere.

the death of splitscreen

3 years into this gen and still nothing

I honestly can't believe it's over. What did we get, a handful of okay games out of it and most of those were on the Wii U.

Perhaps the demographic did change because I just don't understand how this shit can be over already with all the games that came out looking the exact same. On the upside, a bunch of my normalfag friends are getting out of the consoles because of how bad this gen was.

Shit

ps4 > xbone but not by far, at least it's not last gen where the ps3 was fucking worthless and an expensive space heater and the x360 was the only console worth actually owning

i don't think you can defend the ps4 without looking like a huge fanboy. Both consoles are absolute garbage. PS4 is probably to blame for this terrible gen though.

what i mean by that, is ps4 is in the lead and have done jack shit with it. When 360 was in the lead we had a fuck ton of new Ips and Microsoft of all companies invested in JRPGs. Sony has yet to invest on a single JRPG.

This is easily the worst gen in history.
What fucking games are there? Bloodborne and a bunch of weebshit (that's also on Vita, so it technically doesn't even count towards the console gen)?
The Virtual Boy had more games than the Xbone. That is not a joke, look it up.

Its probably the worst console gen ever so far. I even own the Wii U, the console people apparently claim is great, and I'm blown away at how forgettable the games I've played are, I use it more for Netflix than for games.

Most of the games out are fucking ports, and barely anything comes out if ever because games cost too much to make with hundreds of developers that spend time texturing a wall than working on a game. Its gotten so bad I spend my time on older games on "inferior hardware" because those are fun and I have a huge backlog of games to go through. You could probably count the number of worthwhile games this gen on one hand.

The only good things to come out of this gen were the handhelds, those games I actually had fun with. I sure as hell aint even gonna upgrade my PC since most of the games I play dont need high specs or are well optimized.

This gen did not happen. Games did not change, except for a small increase in resolution, and the next generation is already announced.

Absolute fucking garbage

sony didn't even have any interesting weebshit.

What that?
You dont want to wait 4 years to come out?
What are you? Entitled?

I don't think consoles will live on except Nintendo that caters to kids….even then tablets and cellphones took over the kid market.

Microsoft is smart for moving people away from consoles, if Scorpio is a PC in disguise, meaning upgradeable parts and it comes with Microsoft Office. It's over. Sony has to adapt, go mobile or PC.

Consoles are such a thing of the past. I'm still last gen and most people my age have no interest in next gen. The ones that did upgrade regret it and never use their consoles.

The only interesting weeb series out is Yakuza, but it barely if ever gets localized.

It's the last gen without 100% backwards compatibility. All future consoles will play everything released starting from PS4/Xbone as the base architecture won't change. Only way you'll lose the ability to play your old games on a new console will be when one of the big two exits the console market. Until then we'll get iterative console versions, growing gradually in power without obvious generational jumps. If only one survives I'd expect a return to the generation model, just with a lot more time per generation, a decade or something around that ballpark.
It's also the first console gen with a sufficient amount of RAM for its power, didn't think that would ever happen but it did. Pretty happy about that.

shit

they made shitload of money from rehashing games so they are rehashing consoles now, PS4K and all that garbage

Remaster generation. Enjoy all the 7th gen games again at the same cost. Muh progressive videogames. More services than videogame consoles. 8th gen lacking features the 7th gen had at launch (360 media player shits over the One by a long margin). Nothing memorable came out of this generation so far. Helps to solidify the fact the industry is going to shit.

Eventually shit will crash and we'll go back to cartridges.

Will the XBOne ever go the way of the original XBOX and get all its parts changed? Like being able to change CPU and shit?

Its not over though, the new xbox and playstation are literally just 4k + VR compatible versions of the current consoles. MS and Sony have literally no reason to release a new set of consoles so soon, especially since the newest ones were pretty unecessary anyways.

Bloodborne wasn't even a "good" souls game. It basically took dark souls and limited you to minor variations of the same playstyle, instead of allowing many playstyles.

I'm still not sure how people dont understand the fact that PS4.5 and Scorpio are just 4k versions, its pretty fucking obvious.

2 years. 2 FUCKING YEARS. There hasn't been one fucking game I bought for my PS4 since my initial purchase 2 years ago. Fuck this generation and fuck me for buying a PS4.

There isn't a slew of new games coming out for any console, and the games we do get are the following: safe money grabs that don't do anything new and interesting, incomplete games pushed onto the market too early, rehashes or old games in "HD", or sequels that just aren't that interesting.

The best console to own is the Wii U, and that's only because it has games. They're not even great, enduring classics, they're just better than what the PS4 and XBone offer. PC gaming is full of indie shit, and all the big prospects of the future just don't look all that bright.

That said, I'm still waiting for word on whether or not KoFXIV and AC7 are coming to PC. Those are the only games I'm looking forward to in the AAA department.

The Wii U is okay. The PS4 is unremarkable to say the least.

The xBone is made up and doesn't exist.

That's how MS is acting right now.

Windows 10 doesn't exist either. It's a myth.

Windows XP is the present and the future.

I think they're just pushing to spy on more people

there's no good DX10 games anyway

This gen is shit because of the skyrocketing cost of creating video games that are technically proficient enough for the masses to accept (read: AAA trash). When your company can be bankrupt by a single flop, you bet your ass you're never going to take risks and just keep rehashing the last thing that sold well. This obsession with photorealistic, high resolution graphics is also why the consoles themselves show only the slightest improvement over their predecessors, all to pump out shitty games that run at sub 30 fps and that people will say look dated within the next five years.

While I do think that this generation of consoles sucks because of the "upgrade", I think the poor choice of games is more of a fault by the industry that right now sucks in general mostly because there have bee releasing less original games that are not remasters or shit like that, just look how many games have been released recently.
Companies are trying to go safe, there have been just a few games during these years and most of them are "reboots" or remasters, PC haven't received that much either and Nintendo is just slowly killing the WiiU to jump to the NX ship let alone Microsoft with the XBOne.

Just think, how many AAA tittles have been released that are not remasters or shit like that these years?

The market won't crash, though. It's going to shift towards mobile development. Games are the most popular right now that they've ever been, which means we may see a coming Renaissance era on open platforms like the PC and mobile devices simply due to the fact that everyone wants to become a star video game developer. Then again, given the current oversaturation of bullshit on the market, the future may be dark, foreboding, and devoid of any manner of worthwhile content. VR is most likely a gimmick, but if it does manage to take off and lead video games into a brave new world, then we'll likely see more of the same conventions but geared towards a "VR experience"

I could be wrong, though. I think that handheld titles are likely significantly cheaper to produce than their AAA counterparts, so maybe handhelds will spearhead the coming of a hypothetical "golden age".

Probably the shittiest gen ever. Bonus shit points for "totally not slightly upgraded consoles to milk good goyim."

Good, the sooner all AAA games need 20000000000000000000000 gorrilion in marketing and quarter of that in development to make then it will all crash and burn.

whoever made this has grade A taste

You have wooden eyes.

Why did they create the PS4, XBONE, and WiiU if HD development costed so much and that's why games are rarely made except for huge AAA games. Wouldn't it be more profitable for a company to produce a game for the PS3 and Xbox360 today and have a better return?

Creating a game for a platform that doesn't generate sales anymore can be as cheap as you like, it still won't generate profit. Also PS360 was the point when budgets skyrocketed, it's probably cheaper to develop on current gen consoles as you can just throw unoptimized games on the faster HW and it still runs reasonably well.

I think the suits fear that if games don't deliver HUGE and FLASHY and STYLE that people will not purchase them and as a result they'll lose even more money than they're currently bleeding out. In short, they know they have to make something, but they're too short sighted to know what that something really is. It's the same deal with any sort of "artistic medium" that is also an industrial business. Gotta keep cranking shit out in order to meet those profit margins.

Really, market research looks at multiple tastes and "subcultures" and spending habits and consumer feedback and a number of other variables, and it is through this that most corporate decisions are made in regards to releasing a new product. This is why shit follows trends and this is why most corporate products are so bland.

Then there's the issue of downsizing. You've got to keep your studios alive with work. Without contracts, they're going to cut down on manpower, which means layoffs and contract terminations, which leads to a lack of productivity and this impacts the market. Basically, they know they have to spend a minimum amount of money in order to keep the whole system churning. The problem is that the minimum is getting larger and larger for specific types of games.

Considering how they can't make games run decently on the PS4/XBOne and companies don't even care to optimize their games I'm pretty sure they would stop anyway, HD development and "incredible" graphics is necessary and the easiest way to bring more normalfags to pay for videogames right now, also, normalfags have been asking for this kind of shit from a long time ago so it is kinda obvious that developers would follow this path.

It's barely any different than the last gen. The games are just ps3 games with shinier graphics.

the wii u had 6 exclusives I wanted to play before anything else even had 3, so it got the buy
and I went playstation the previous 3 generations

and even the wii u petered out quick. My PS1 and PS2 libraries have at least 40 games each, and my PS3 library has at least 20
wii u can't break 10 games I want to play, and the PS4 and Xbone are still under 6

this…is not a good generation. As graphics have improved, creativity has gone out the window. The largest singular audience is the one everyone wants a chunk of so everyone has to make games that target them. This audience has proven time and again they won't play anything outside their comfort zone so that means piss easy FPS with so-so online multiplayer and maximum hype marketing

It's not about caring, it's about money. Why have expensive artists make models and LODs of those that look good despite being lowpoly when you can have a ridulously highpoly scan of something and automatically create LODs of that which look much worse per polygon than a handcrafted one, but are much cheaper to make? Just scale which LODs are used at which distance until it still looks good. It'll eat performance but that's better than artist budgets exploding.

*ridiculously

WiiU has some fun games. Hardware wise this gen was pretty shit as always. If only consoles where allowed to be consoles and not shitty pcs i think things would be a lot better.

I guess I forgot about marketing and normalfag appeal.

Why can't shareholders have smaller expected returns from videogames, they say things like tomb raider was a failure and FFXV needs a million copies when they still get a million dollars in returns anyway? Why cant giant companies like Ubisoft and EA have downsizes when they pay for so many people when they crap out games that seems to be reused, same game assets anyway? It seems like nowadays the only interesting origional IPs that come out are a handful of indies.

Hardware is already shitty enough, but worse is that 90% of devs/publishers are totally cut off from their audience and think the socialmedia crybabies actually buy their shit.

It's so shitty I might as well stop my escapism.

PS4 and Xbone decided to compete with cable companies, turning their systems into DVR social networking services and a bunch of other crap.
Wii U just made their controller double as a TV remote that was too big to lose in the couch, and had a rechargeable batter.

I haven't paid much attention to the game's this gen. I've spent more time catching up on Discounted PS3 games.

I think Multiplatform developement has grown to the point of being overwhelming and confusing to the consumer. It can be hard to follow which games are avaiable on what systems in what gen, and if they'll all have the same features or future DLC,
Now there will be multiple versions of the same system. Then the devs have to make tutorials and prompts specifically for each controller… which usually gets half assed and leaves us with "Press the camera button to use the camera"

Because those running publishers now are business people who see games as a commodity and have been taught that the most important skill in business is marketing. So they use massive amounts of money on it, knowing full well that it's a better way to get return on investment than making a better product since normalfags will eat up anything shilled enough.

That's how you get ridicilous situations like CoD:MW2 being the most expensive game ever because they spent 200 million dollars on marketing and about 30 million developing the game.

700 dollars… yeaa…….

I bought an Xbone because I wanted to play Halo 5 splitscreen with my friends. Yea, I know.

Then 343i revealed that there wasnt going to be any splitscreen for Halo 5.

And now my Xbone is just collecting dust in the corner of my room. Yes, I feel retarded.

wii u was a disappointing trainwreck with only a few good games and only one adequate third party.

Playstation 4 is picking up and is getting a slew of excellent looking games in the coming year.

Anyone who knows anything would have seen the Xbox One was going to be a trainwreck after 2009.

This sums it up. There have been PLENTY of good games, but almost none of them were high profile. The only exceptions were probably Splatoon, Bloodborne, Tropical Freeze, and 3D World.

Waiting for more Japanese games.
Still catching up on all the games I missed on PS3.

Oh, and Tropical Freeze wasn't really high profile, come to think of it. And most people wrote of 3D World as another rehash ala New Mario Bros.

So pretty much Splatoon and Bloodborne are the only two console games that stood out.

The Xbox one is only relevant because it sells decently in North America.

Reminds me of the fifth generation. Sony decimated Nintendo that gen except for the American market.

I don't really care very much about sales unless it's an actually interesting story about product performance, marketing or failure. The Xbox One was clearly trying to bank on brand loyalty and it only really sells with normalfags with very boring taste in games. Even at work I've heard people deride one another for playing on the gaystation 4 as they put it, over the xbox one. When in reality, the games they play play better on the PS4 and even get better service, so it's just based on fanaticism, and I don't care about that.

The libraries tell a much more interesting story.

I simply do not see anything stopping mobile gaming. Even grourious nippon fell to the mobile gaming meme… Ages ago. That mobius final fantasy game is fucking beautiful too so they've proven what they can do. Don't forget to buy the new 899 USD meme phone every year, goyim.

DOES the Xboner actually do that well? Heads rolled- multiple times- at Microsoft over it.

Microsoft can project the illusion of good health by shuffling money around. They're obscenely wealthy due to their monopoly in the business sector.

This somehow implies that Japan wasn't the first onboard mobile gaming and the nation that pushes it the hardest. Japanese markets are the most casual of all. Grinding RPGs are training wheels for cash shop mobile games.

I own a wiiu and PS4 been playing my vita more if i'm honest.

I don't regret my purchases i have enough games on my PS4 through domestic and imports and witht the wiius backwards compatibility i am able to enjoy all the great shovelware the wii had.

the biggest complaint of this GEN is the overabundance of re-releases (bio shock infinte is scheduled for a re-release) shits getting redicoulous now devs can just make a shitty optimised game this gen and then when a new console is made they can then release a version that plays well.
I wouldn't be surprised if order 1886 gets a 60fps version when the PS4K comes out.

But this gen was also a gen of miracles like holy fuck a new Nier game, Yakuza is back, REmake 2, Bayo 2 and with Shenmue 3, 1&2 are likely to be released digitally.
Also with all the english asia releases i'll be able to play super robot wars and otehr shit.

It made profit from day one, was always manufactured at profit and is selling faster than 360 did at it's point in the lifecycle. It's not doing PS4 numbers but it's selling steady enough to not be the blunder of the century and it's relatively healthy due to a high software attach rate. You have to remember that software is always the biggest money maker for consoles ever since the NES and Sega sold the Genesis at a loss. It's also why Andrew House was saying that they are aiming to compete with PC because they don't want to be losing software sales on multiplats to PC and there was a rumor the PS4 version of Rise Of The Tomb Raider is between a 2017 release or outright cancellation because Square believes anyone who wanted to play it picked up the PC version on Steam (It's one of the best selling games of the year on Steam).

Heads rolled because the xbone outright causing a public image disaster for the entiere company and Exposed mismanagement throughout the company and a culture of self-defeating arrogance. It ended with Don Matrick being fired (Allegedy he fucked up so bad Bill Gates marched on campus and demanded he was gone. And you had to fuck up hardcore to get Bill to appear on campus in those days) and Steve Ballmer resigned as CEO while making a major reshuffle and restructure in how the company operated to prevent massive blunders like the xbone reveal happening again.

You should watch the IGN interview with Ed Fries they put up recently where he details how tiring it got fighting with other divisions and dealing with Ballmer when they just wanted to make cool games and have a good portfolio like the PC days. Management was always fucked in there during the 360 due to different interests that no one was shocked on campus when Peter Moore left while the gaming press was. And Matrick operated it like a "Tyrant". There's only one story Phil Spencer has ever told regarding how fucked management was which was that Killer Instinct was constantly denied because "Fighting games are a dead genre" and they were refused till Ken Lobb pitched it as a tech demo and the League Of Legends style "Seaons" concept so MS didn't have to invest much and got a green light. It's one of the most popular games they have now and a massive success story for the small budget they put in (And it's a fucking great game which is outright incredible for all the shit poured on it from the start)

Microsoft's making profit on gaming this gen. It was just the management and culture surounding it had to to go and be restructured.

But what software? The only title I know of that's attached to the Boner is Destiny which was a pretty big flop.

Most dudebros and fratboys will get a PS4 these days- you can play CoD on that too AND it doesn't have that stigma the Xbox One cloaked itself in from day one.

So here's the deal, and I'll lay it out to you straight: there's no reason to ever buy another console ever again after the PS3/360 gen.
Ever.

Even PS3/360 was probably going a gen too far. PS2 was the last console that had any decent exclusives, and they're all emulatable now anyway.

nostalgia fag pls

ps3 and 360 had a large number of excellent exclusives that you can only play on those platforms, or play best on them.

lol, oh, you're one of those

Minecraft you dense nigger. Xboners also buy the multiplats where Blops 3 sold more on xbone than it did PS4 in 2015, the big 1st parties like Halo 5 and they buy digital games at a higher rate than PS4 owners and a lot of indies see success on Xbone.

Software selling great for them and putting it in profit unless you are an obstinate fanboy fag who refuses to believe anything else.

7th gen was one of the worse and brought much of this cancer.
The only thing it had was a decent library, but it was still fucking cancer from the online focus, normalfag pandering and one trick pony gimmicks.

you don't need anything else
then don't go online? It's not hard. 90% of what I play is single player.

A decent library isnt a good library.
Kinda hard when many franchises qnd games got their singleplayer components butchered so devs could focus on the multiplayer.

What is a "decent library" to you?

Very lackluster. I bought a Wii U and was severely disappointed. The Xbone is having its library going to W10 and the PS4 just doesn't interest me. Top that with nothing but remasters of games that came out not too long ago and I stopped caring.

One that doesnt casualize or outright kills my favorite franchises and creates equally has boring and casualized IPs while paywalling half the content we used to have in the previous gen.
at least IPs were created back then

be less vague. Your requirements fit several dozens of games from the past generation.

i remeber those screenshots from old gaming forums from back when the internet first started complaining about the ps2 xbox and game cube era and touting snes and megadrive as THE best era.

you sound like that

i haven't bought any consoles after the last gen. this one looks even worse somehow.

i wouldn't call ps3's library of excellent exclusives large
i haven't played every single one but the ones that seemed to be the best at what they set out to do were GT6 and Demon's Souls. GT6 is a pretty nice Gran Turismo game, while Demon's Souls got everyone hooked on the Souls series.

resistance series was good but console FPSes are stuck with controllers, kinda wish insomniac spent their time making a new IP that actually takes advantage of controllers. MGS4 is essentially the worst MGS game. infamous in grorious 720p, looks sort of jaggy, freeroam is kinda shit especially compared to Prototype, you pretty much play for the plot.

then theres the console only games. The Darkness is a good FPS with good graphics, gameplay, and a good plot, it felt like it should have had a PC port. Bayonetta is a good cuhrazy game by Platinum, not much more to be said. RDR is jaggy as hell on PS3, in grorious 720p as well, other than that its grand theft horse, decent. Armored Core: For Answer had some unfortunate problems, framedrops all the way to under 20FPS in AC:FA sometimes and the tiny ass splitscreen were pretty bad. at least it had split screen i guess. armored core 4? missions take like 30 secs to 2 minutes to beat. Nier is a good game but Cavia's gameplay was always rough around the edges, and the graphics were kind of lacking.

i didn't play every game yet or anything but it was sort of a mediocre console library, very few games are what i'd call excellent.

It's everything wrong with 7th gen times ten.

I really can't name five games on PS4/Xboner that would be interesting to me that I can't already play on PC or my PS3 and I hate Nintendo too much to even consider buying their products after all the bullshit they've done in the past few years.

I'm not even trying to pessimistic like the usual Holla Forums hivemind, it really has been that bad. Even the first couple of years of the 7th gen brought us way better exclusives then this gen ever has.

It may seem stupid on the surface, but I actually think Microsoft is making a good move with jumping ship from the Xbox and bringing everything to Windows 10 (Too bad Windows 10 is spyware). Consoles seem to be a thing of the past and this gen clearly shows it.

What makes me angry however is now that consoles are a dying breed, the normalfags will begin infest PC more then they already have, I've already struggled to find games even worth pirating last year (Only games I enjoyed were Witcher 3, Cities Skylines and Nuclear Throne) so I can't imagine it getting even worse.

God help us all.

Crysis
Deus Ex
Call of Duty
Battlefield
Final Fantasy
Resident Evil
Silent Hill
Red Faction
Ghost Recon
Rainbow Six
Splinter Cell
Fable
Metal Gear Solid
Supreme Commander
Elder Scrolls
Fallout
Shock series which is considered top tier for some reason
Thief
Command & Conquer
Team Ico
Medal of Honor
Battlefront and any other SW game
SoulCalibur
Unreal
Quake
Doom
Any Sega IP that isnt Yakuza
I could go on forever, some nice games indeed, but barely any good ones compared to previous generations.
Wii was aight I guess

I will say that I still put my hopes on Nintendo only because it feels like that it isn't part of whatever we are taken to.

resistance 1 is pretty flawed, 2 is terrible but 3 is actually a very good game. Getting used to analog sticks is a bit cumbersome, but it definitely can be done. It sounds like you're selling the library extremely short. Siren Blood Curse was a superb survival horror, folklore was a very enjoyable early PS3 game, the puppeteer was a surprisingly good game, Journey, while multiplayer and a cheap title was extremely fun. Plenty more too like 3D Dot Game Heroes, Eternal Sonata, Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom, Resonance of Fate, Shadows of the Damned.

Apart from one or two games you've mentioned, you're talking about some very mainstream titles, I think once you branch out you start to find the games that really make the PS3 and the 360 worth the time.

What did 7th gen give you?
Better graphics?
More flashy shit for you to oogle?
Streamlining and cutting of game mechanics to the point that shit becomes automated?

Im not going to tell you that handhelds were better before because they were not.
Im not going to tell you that controls during the early 3D days of 5th gen were better because they were not.

I am going to tell you that 7th was mediocre and 8th was trash because they were.
Everything 7th gen accomplished during its first few years was completely ignored a few years later starting with 2008-2009.

Extraordinarily underwhelming.

Jesus Christ
You're admitting to the fact that bigger releases are no longer good.
I could list you shit like EDF, Chromehounds and Valkyria Chronicles.
But those games are niche and dont push trends.

What is with 8th gen and not getting games? Multi-plats included. Just where the fuck is all the games? With 6th and 7th gen we already had mountains of games at this point. The fuck is going on?

Complete garabage.

We went from the greatest to the end to nothing

sure PS2 and Xbox, gamecube era granted us classic franchises but they were incredibly rough 360 ps3 and wii refined those series to a mirror shine to a point where they could be played without having to give every hiccup or awkard control or camera the excuse of "its still early 3d devs are still trying to figure out how to use and create these new genres.

I don't care about trends, and I've never acted like bigger releases didn't have their problems. Good games are still made, and niche ones push trends all the time. Why do you think so many games are taking things from demon's souls and dark souls? Even nintendo was influenced by them.

Kinda boring, but at least there's a lot of waifu games

Pretty happy with my wii u, thought it was nice when xbone got backwards compatibility not happy it's going to take as long as the 360 did with OG xbox backwards compat to get the majority of the library playable.
Only game I had looked forward to on PS4 so far is a remake that's inevitably going to be casualized because activision.

cresh?

i can use them just fine, its just that a controller is better used for platforming, racing, mech, ARPG, curazy, etc types of games, FPS isn't consoles strong suit. its annoying that they push the console FPS thing so hard nowadays.

isn't that just a remake of Siren?

technically a lot of these are not PS3 exclusive, they're just console only.

its just some zelda clone with voxel graphics?
it looks alright for a low budget game
i have them but i haven't gotten around to playing them yet.
looks like most other turn based JRPGs with little grills.

well at least one of the EDF games is on PC
ported to PC

Holy shit how old are you?

Nintendo was influenced by Shadow of the Colossus and Early Access Survival games.
Where the fuck are you seeing Dark Souls in there?
I never denied that, just not as regurarly as before
I see none of that aside from Early Access Survival and Horrors games.
You mean direct ripoffs and 2D Sidescrollers?
At least we're getting more games with Dark Fantasy, Ill give you that.
And how the fuck is Dark Souls niche?
Thats what you're doing by ignoring the decline between 6th and 7th.

Its a remaster

Being ported to PC doesnt mean shit to the point Im trying to make.

I guess you haven't played 3d world.
it's always been inconsistent. Different years have had different quantities of great games.
then you're looking in the completely wrong side of the globe.
And these games aren't influenced by a formerly niche game how? You know that is what I was saying.
demon's souls did all those new amazing things first, and dark souls carried it on. Dark souls wasn't a hit until some time after release, and demon's souls was never a massively popular game. How do you think it is not niche?
Not ignoring anything, just saying the problem is overblown and there's still great games out there if you look for them.

It's going to be casualized and I'm going to complain is what it is.

remake, remaster, reconditioned, revised,redone its all the same thing these days

not really, most companies are usually on point with how they classify what they're doing. There's some mistakes here and there.

Fucking what?
Past 3rd gen?
Not really no
You could make an argument with 5th gen but even then that wouldnt be correct with how quickly devs adapted to a 3D environment non consoles
I guess Capcom, Konami and Nintendo are non Japanese now
Whats changed in the JRPG/Dungeon Crawler to fit your argument?
I dont see any substancial difference on the moeblob games and Wizardry clones.
Yes, formerly niche and when most of these games only want to take its difficulty you know something is wrong, it still hasnt influenced any big enough title with the exceptions of Nioh and Mayday 2.
Nigger you just shot yourself in the foot
Tell me how many games took influence from AC or Kings Field?
Did you enjoy paying for those costumes that used to be unlockable and for ending DLC?

what are miiverse notes

nigger it's one of the most obvious examples around. I really can't be bothered to explain some of this shit to someone who is so clueless.

On the bright side, they're porting DQX to the NX so maybe we'll finally get to play that game?

BAHAHA who am I kidding we won't.

Good job

Fuck off.

Souls invented games, all of them, not only video.

Did the souls series invent night trap?

Souls series is pretty fucking ghay so it invented all kinds of traps.

The answer is simple:

There's nogaems but ports, rehashes, casual shite and remakes

Each console had no defining exclusives or real reason to get it over the other one unless you prefer one kind of trash over the other. The previous generation took some time to amass a decent game library, whereas now we are already heading to the next generation. Even though the Wii U was the console that stood out the most, Nintendo shot themselves in the foot with a shotgun due to the lack of third-party support, barely any worthwhile first-party games, and fucking Amiibos. Yes, Game X and Y were good, but those are only a handful compared to the dozens of exclusives there were previous generations and often not worth buying a 200-400$ paperweight for.

The Vita is essentially a niche Japanese game machine now like the Saturn and PC Engine since Sony clearly won't bother with it anymore. Sadly it doesn't have the CFW capabilities from the PSP, and hopefully it gets cracked near the end of its lifespan. It's fine if you are that kind of guy who intends to learn Japanese, though it doesn't have the same library like the PSP did, with or without CFW. The 3DS game library is basically a lite version of the DS library with the addition of MonHun and an overall useless 3D gimmick since using the processing power for the game itself rather than a 3D screen wouldn't have been as marketable. At least there are some games to be had with the portable consoles.

Thanks to Steam (Greenlight), PC has now stolen the Shovelware Crown from the PS2 as indieshit floods the store. You now have to dig deeper for good games, and then wait for the upcoming sale before you can buy anything. The remaining PC exclusive devs either shilled out for consoles, went to shit, or closed their doors, as the few worthwhile PC games that get released today tend to be indie. Nips have realized how much of a valuable market Steam can be, unfortunately they have yet to learn how to port games to PC properly. Everything that remains is uninspired consolized garbage which inevitably follows some kind of trend. Then there's that forced VR bullshit which is going to fall flat on its face due to how bad the launch is.

There is no hope.

I'll say this. Getting third-party support requires sucking a lot of dicks. I remember how Bethesda was upset about how Nintendo did ask for their input when making the Wii U. The only time that I would ask for Bethesda's advice is if I were making a cult.

Skipping them completely. When they were introduced, I saw they were just a bit better than my rather modest PC that still handles almost everything I throw at it well enough, so… what's the point? Also, playing an FPS with a gamepad is nigh intolerable after you get used to proper KB+M.

Wh>>9916220
You mean did not?

You do know there are more ganes than just First person shooters, and like, most of them play vetter with a controller, like besides fps I can only think of maybe assfaggorts and rts.

Didn't they also piss EA off and then they paid fucking every publisher to avoid the wii u?

Strategies, rpgs, action games, those don't count?

Yes. We all make mistakes.

Any game can play well on KB+M the problem is most devs are too lazy to do a proper job when they port their game to PC.

Ok now when you say "action game" what do you actually mean?
Action is about as much of a genre as say and Adventure game.
Which I should take the time to say includes both Super Mario 3d land and Bayonetta.
Maybe narrow it down to like, spectacle fighter? Arpg. Just so I can get a better idea of how or how you aren't wrong.

Who else remembers Yves Guillemot saying in an interview that we needed a new generation of consoles so developers can be free to "innovate" on new hardware.
It was about a year before PS4 and xbone were announced I think.

MS were in the lead. Funded JRPGS, Funded everything for a diverse portfolio. Then Don Matrick happened.

Sony fanboys want those years purged from memory because the nogames meme comes back to haunt them

Five hundred and nintey nine US dollars

Its bottom tier garbage but of course that's just how consoles are, they're pretty much a scam.

People used to believe that the universe is expanding in a constant rate but scientists say the universe is actually expanding in an accelerated rate. If it wasn't, gravity would have caused the universe to collapse.

Technological improvement is what people view is improving standards but it is only constant gradual improvement. It isn't enough to counter falling standards.

When standards don't go up, they go down.

I'll be honest, I don't remember a great deal of JRPGs releasing on 360. A few, but not many. It's one of the reasons I switched to PS3.
I do remember 360 having a couple of Tales games and the abomination that is the Final Fantasy 13 saga, but not much else in way of JRPG.
Or maybe they just weren't advertised in the UK I do remember DOA doing quite well on 360 though.
How is Mattrick doing these days anyway? Last I heard he was busy trying to fuck up zynga.

I only remember blue dragon and star ocean as exclusives, and one of them was a timed one.

Hes gone now and Zynga is ever closer to death.

They're selling fucking netflix machines that just happen to play videogames. It's cheaper to buy a PS4/XONE than a good multimedia center with capability of playing blu-rays and internet connectivity.

They got a lot in the first few years. They funded Vesparia before Bandai bought Namco along with Eternal Sonata, Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean 4 and there were exclusives like Lost Oddessy and Blue Dragon till it really turned out they couldn't make ground in Japan. Then Kinect happened and all priorities including their 3rd party talks went to Kinect. MS were talking to Grasshopper about doing an exclusive. As soon as Kinect came in, it was immediately "Get Grasshopper to do a Kinect Game". You see the amount of studios that worked on Kinect and you see a fuckload of wasted talent.

He was fired from Zynga for the astonishingly poor job he did including driving developers out. A bunch of ex-Zynga employees posted a ton of shit online calling him a "Bitter Tyrant who hated his staff" and "Hated creativity unless he could claim it was his idea".

The hilarious thing? He was one of the biggest stakeholders in Zynga and owned a significant portion of the company. He was so bad that they told him to get out even though he owned part of the company.

The sad part is he still owns significant stakes in some publishers so he's always making money. Guy is, unfortunately, a financial genius and rose in the industry because of his ability to both program and create games and get financing/attract venture capital. That's why people in the industry never shit talked him despite the fact he was considered one of the worst execs and an awful leader (Peter Moore of all people came close during that first IGN Unfiltered. Imagine watching one of the things you help create be utterly destroyed in only a few bad decisions)

I thought multimedia centers could play CDs PS4 can't hell it couldn't even play blu-rays at the beginning AND its media player is absolute shit.

Do Sex, Dark Messiah of M&M, Divinity 2, Mechwarrior

some pretty shitty games there, son

Yeah? Which ones?

considering your examples as the first games that come to mind, I'm assuming those are some of the ones you liked most. It's a little sad.

oppressively mediocre and underwhelming

see
embed related is basically 8th Console Generation all wrapped up in one video (too lazy for weeb'em)

You were supposed to say which ones :)

Stop enabling shitposters

super bunnyhop is always on point

It's not enabling if they're mentally disabled in the first place.

lets go with all of them

"in some ways dark souls is a lot like doom" super bunnyhop?

that guy is a retard. Isn't he the same retard that said GJP dindu nuffin?

Unaware of that quote and that context of it.

watch his dark souls video

why

for the quote and the context, genius.

But he'd be hurting his brain.

It's important to know which retards to avoid and where their masses of fans get their idiotic perspectives from

Kinect was just one of the many steps towards appealing to a wider audience and try to reap profits from the Wii family friendly casual crowd.
In 2009 the damage had already been done and shit like MW2 enormous success proved that.

pa4 has some nice gimmicks but no fucking games.

that's all i fucking got, i can't even comment on the xbone cuz i didn't even ever bother trying a demo of it in a store it sounds so bad

MW2 also caused youtube to turn into a dark age of commentary video's that can only be matched by 2016, in which the same thing is happening all over again except with more edginess.

Casuals all over the fucking planet were convinced that quickscoping was some impossible artform that only pros could do while every single 5 year old with an xbox could pull off that piss easy exploit. Then they all complained when the next COD fixed 90% of the issues because they couldn't default to overpowered perks and guns anymore.

At that point, gaming was dead with no return in sight.

Pretty much, at least Gaylo Machinimas were fun and Quake and CS montages took effort.

I'm seriously considering becoming a normalfag and getting a real job just to alleviate my boredom. The last game I actually bought and played was Transformers and that lasted maybe 8 hours, so I'm not satisfied with this hobby anymore.

This is the first generation of consoles where I haven't bought a single one. You're absolutely right about Bloodborne being the only thing of note. Everything else; there's PC.

Does the WiiU count? Cause that's the last console I've bought and I actually got a lot of mileage out of it.

WiiU probably has the best games but it's the worst machine of the bunch. I might get one if its second hand and cheap as fuck but that's it.

It's amazing how The 360 (Microsoft in general) was ontop of the world in the console market for awhile and then it just FELL. It fell HARD and hasn't been able to recover.

They got so full of themselves and just decided; 'yeah let's just tell the consumer what they want and need. Fuck em!'

I remember how it had a beautiful UI that was turned into minimalist advertising wank.

Well, I'm proud of you for not giving an opinon as an expert of something you don't own.
Unlike some people.

I thought Bloodborne was a good game but that the major thing that dragged it down was the hardware it had to run on.

Good for Sony. If you can't celebrate Sony winning, then at least celebrate Microsoft losing.

Microsoft did their very best to try to ruin the entire game industry. Always online DRM, mandatory always on spy cam, shouting at your console, waving your arms at your console, “cloud” gaming, TV, TV, TV. Be happy that everything they wanted was a complete failure. Rest in hell, Kinect.

Sony always wins

I liked Shadow of The Beast, EDF 4.1 and Bloodborne. Otherwise it's shit if we're talking solely exclusives. I dunno about the WiiU but from what I've played of W101 at a friend's it's pretty nice.

It's funny because it's true. Microsoft doesn't even report console sales any more because they are embarrassed.

Sony did plenty wrong, but Microsoft shot itself in the foot. Repeatedly. After putting both feet in their mouth. And streaming this act of brilliance live worldwide.

Sony won nothing, Microsoft shot itself in the foot while Sony just stands there still at the starting line, drooling like an idiot.

Yeah, that was pretty fun
I was worried the normalfags would put up with it though.
I guess it really is true that no sizeable core audience means no normalfags

Sounds suspiciously like what they did with windows 10, only people ate that shit up hook line and sinker.

Its probably the most dead generation there's been so far. Say what you will about some of the other consoles in the past, but at least shit was happening with them, people were experimenting, people were trying new things, there could be actual debates on where to get your money's worth, jokes aside. This gen doesn't have that. Its just a stagnant pond of mediocrity with only a couple really noteworthy games on the console front. Only Handheld is worth it this gen.

Something needs to happen soon, whether it be another gaming boom (either on the AAA or indie side), or a crash. Either way, we need something to shake things up from this era of decay.

Obviously you don't know what that word means. You feel you do, but you don't.

that something is probably going to be everyone blowing their load on VR, even though every single VR game that's on the horizon so far looks fucking terrible

Nintendo is over. The NX won't be anything like the PS4 or xbone.

gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-06-30-nintendo-nx-may-capitalize-on-largely-ignored-kids-market-dfc

I wish I could say I'm surprised but we all knew it was coming.

but those kids are busy stealing their parents credit cards to burn money on Clash of Clans

Yeah Nintendo is in trouble. For real this time.

Their cashcow has been handhelds because their home consoles have been "underperforming" since the N64.

And handheld sales are trending downwards. Everyone has a smartphone, I see little girls with Galaxies and Iphones, and mobile games are cheap and plentiful.

This gen is shit. If you buy a console you're fucking retarded.

>>>/cuckchan/
>>>/reddit/

Nope, you can easily get a bluray player, steaming device, and a 1080p TV for about the same price of a console, even less if you know where to look. Consoles aren't even good at multimedia.

I don't know if it's just me being grumpy and if it's just around here, but kids nowadays are way too fucking dumb to play ACTUAL games. Seriously. All they do is play on their $2000 dollar iPad reinforced with 100mm of kevlar so the screen doesn't break when the kid throws it at the wall because his parents' credit card was denied when he tried to buy every fucking app in the store.

Nintendo had shit marketing,but actually has good games.
Sony has amazing marketing,but 99% of their library is remasters.
Microsoft made the mistake of spreading themselves too thin and not doing anything well.

That pretty much sums up the weewoo. Great games,shit hardware.

But that's just continuing the recent trend.

in that case, have you got a different video/webm that sums up this console generation?

How about just taking a look around you and see for yourself how shit everything is instead of listening to a nigger cuck nobody on youtube

Fixed.

Even some japanese games aren't that great nowadays, I don't expect too much from now on including multiplat, maybe Nier and Ni-Oh but still, I don't have much hope.

Indie shit is just as fucking bad,

Kill yourself nigger.

This generation has literally nothing new

Is really just the last generation with updated hardware because lastgen consoles launched in 2005/6 and where getting so fucking old devs couldn't do shit anymore

Really nigger? really?

You're probably right. VR might be what tips the scales. My money's on it being another motion control deal where it dies after a while, but it seems to have a stronger push than those did.

Keep in mind Sony and Microsoft are targeting "adults" with their third person movie games and all the other shit nobody cares about.

So taking "Nintendo going after kids" Which they've always been doing. as any dangerous sign seems like jumping the gun… So at least wait until the NX is actually revealed before we start acting like it's over.

Or do you want a Mario equivalent to Shadow the Hedgehog?

Easily the worst, most unremarkable, least progressive gen yet.

Yes indeed user, Sony "won".

this gen was shit so far and it will stay shit.
Only game I was interested in was Shenmue 3 and after hearing it will likely not get a boxed release I lost interest.

I'm just glad the Xbone was a fucking failure.

Fuck it and fuck you OP you deranged faggot.

i love how literally everything microsoft advertises outside of the business side is a lie

Like zero interest. The only console I ended up getting from this gen was the Wii U, and that's because my parents got it for me as a Christmas present. The problem was I ended up disliking the fucking thing because I got it on 2013, when it was no gaems status.

I got rid of mine once NoA started with their censorship binge

This. PCs are also getting the same shitty games.

Yahtzee didn't play the game long enough to learn how assign a skill to the right click button. webm1

Keep in mind that he says that he liked in the end.

Ironically, after PCfags claiming consoles are dead ever since the NES era because PC > console, what killed consoles was the console companies themselves.

Whats the source for the old guy webm?

This is why I ended up going with a stronger PC this generation while last gen I went with the 360. Last gen had a shitload of titles early on for the 360 and up until about the last year or two the 360 was leading. This generation is:

Even though PC has its own range of issues, it's still got more interesting multiplats and exclusives that push it over the consoles.

There's no real reason to own any of the current gen consoles. Nothing out and nothing really on the horizon. Not to mention most of this stuff is going to be multi platform anyways due to the architecture.

I rate the PS4 as a 4/5. The Xbone is a 2/5. You guys are all elitist faggots. There's plenty of games to play on both consoles as long as you enjoy normal games and not some weeb shit garbage that nobody has ever heard of or cares about. You guys are fucking annoying.

It feels like Sony/MS are just adding a bunch of extra features to their consoles because they know the games suck.

youtu.be/2Ep8f-ChSbE?t=7m20s

This cancerous fedora meme needs to fucking stay on Reddid

archive.is/pAXgi
I miss this site man

People said this gen would never happen. Maybe it shouldn't have.

A fucking (((fine bros))) video, seriously?

It's just done. Nobody really wants to program games anymore they just want to do awful 60 dollar movies that most people don't want to buy unless its uncharted or halo.

how are you surprised? it was either going to be ellen degeneres, cosby, conan, or fine bros. you rolled fine bros

This right here is rock solid, undeniable proof that children come to these websites during the summer. And from cuckchan too, these kinds of threads never got this many serious posts or this many posts at all, they were saged to all fuck with the message that this console war shit was not acceptable or welcome here even after all of the different exoduses, previous summers and the cuckchan kiddies who raid and subvert regularly this shit was was never this prominent. Cancer has become terminal. Great job guys, you let this happen.

Watch some butt frustrated fucking console child call me a "le pc mustard race cuck" or whatever their buzzword of the week is.