RX 480 will kill your PCI-E slots

Other urls found in this thread:

tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616-9.html
videocardz.com/61753/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-specifications-leaked-faster-than-rx-480
reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qfwd4/rx480_fails_pcie_specification/
composter.com.ua/documents/PCI_Express_Base_Specification_Revision_3.0.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=rhjC_8ai7QA
community.amd.com/thread/202410
guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-radeon-r9-rx-480-8gb-review,7.html
google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=480 pcie
legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-rx-480-undervolting-performance_183699
guru3d.com/news-story/early-batches-of-radeon-rx-480-4gb-cards-actually-do-have-8gb-memory.html
anandtech.com/show/10474/nvidia-announces-geforce-gtx-1060-july-19
tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-power-fix,4668.html
youtube.com/watch?v=bzL4UDckLHY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I am sure this guy used a fucking hammer on his slots and thought it would be okay.

Go outside and appreciate summer you fat fucking American cuck.

fanboys are unbearable. I'll wait until this isn't an isolated incident and been confirmed.

also

Gee, I wonder who's trying to slide this thread.

AMDFAGS IN DAMAGE CONTROL MODE

He deserves it.

wanna know how to make such an error code?
put an GPU but don't plug the PCIE power plug

will throw the error code no matter which card/mobo it is

Tom disagrees.
It draws over 155W solely from the slot and will kill it.
tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616-9.html

or

how the fuck do you even do that

Occam's Razor doesn't work if one explanation is only more complex because you draw it out. Fucking pseudo-intellectual.

GTX1060 is due soon, only retards buy AMD their cards alway have issues with games.

Will we ever get a decent third party?

I hear AMD Zens cpu does the same

Implying that novidya is some saintly savior of gaming.

Occam's razor
Or

I literally don't care one way or the other about GPU wars but your arguments are shit

Watch this video m80

videocardz.com/61753/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-specifications-leaked-faster-than-rx-480

The saviour has come

reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qfwd4/rx480_fails_pcie_specification/

Read the thread it show why that video is wrong.

damn thats some heavy fucking shill work there, they pay you a dollar a post or something?

you even got a reddit link in there

Why the fuck do you even care about new video cards?
Is it to play "Battlefield 1: Niggers saved Europe (France is DLC) Edition"? Or to enable the eating habits of Gaben by buying an overpriced masturbation and "quirky" simulator game toolkit?

to play 60fps 1080p or even 4k

yeah, it's why I stopped PC gaming to be honest. There's no good PC games any more, so at best I'm playing shitty western console ports on a mid-end gpu at about as good as the 2013 laptop hardware in consoles.

So it's not a good investment. I'd get more out of getting more storage and upgrading my CPU instead of my GPU at this point. A new GPU seems to be a formality for more utility, not for fun. My 7850 still handles my two 1680x1050 displays+1080p tv just fine. Maybe if there's ever a good PC game worth giving a fuck about again, I'll upgrade, but for now the games I'm kind-of interested in on PC aren't exactly amazing. I'll play them in a few years I guess.

I just wonder how many people in these threads are paid shills. I mean this place is so small it should not be worth it. Can fanbois really be this retarded? Is it trol and bait only? I'd like to see a real academic study (not socjust) of this, could be interesting to read.

I think most people overestimate the possibility of someone being a shill and all too often mistake someone with a concern or something they want to discuss as something offensive and dismiss the entirety of the content of their post.

Insisting someone is a shill is the assertion that they are being dishonest because they are being paid to be, and considering Holla Forums's 2,755 active users, it's an incredibly small audience to have someone pay to post at. This thread alone has less than 25 potentially different people in it.

So I'd say if anyone is accusing anyone else of being a shill, the accuser might have trouble backing up their arguments or refuting others, so they try to change the subject.

Gah, where do people post fanart of unteralterbach other than krautchan?

LOL, love the fact it's now AMD that overheats, they still have no drivers too.

I don't think it's anything to be happy about. Worse performance means less competition.

this whole "fried the PCI-E slot" rumor is fucking bullshit, I mean who in their right mind would not setup a fucking failsafe that crashes the PC instead of fucking frying it what in the fuck dude, how do people believe this shit. Also the pictures in the plebbit posts just looks like a dirty motherboard. though I'm not an expert, some dust might have gotten in there and burned the circuits

rule34hentai.net
or /loli/

yo need an throwaway dummy account to access the loli at r34 though

Both of those are shit websites

The MB manufacturer expect companies to observe the PCI express specifications, they don't need to put a failsafe in cause they didn't expect AMD to go full retard and overdraw on the PCI lane instead of using a 8 pin for for power.

hey i'm the one who came in here to shitpost

What does anybody even have to shill? Only retards buy current GPUs. The point is getting autistic over unsubstantiated rumors is redditfag tier shit.

AMD will never reach Nvidia's energy efficiency, will they? At least your PC can double as a space heater.

composter.com.ua/documents/PCI_Express_Base_Specification_Revision_3.0.pdf
go to page 528 and read the implementation note where it states scenarios. Also check this video: youtube.com/watch?v=rhjC_8ai7QA

i never belivied in shills that much to be honest but jesus Nvidia you guys are doing it pretty well

That video was bebunked read the reddit thread.

That video was bebunked read the reddit thread.

Where exactly? ctrl f isn't helping

made my day bro

this or rich fags

right? Things must conform to my bias, I can't possibly be wrong about something I'm asserting with no proof or reason behind it. There must be shills here.

dude you're killing me

True or not, there so much tasty salt over it.

Hey man I was salty when Todd lied, so why can't I be salty when fucking people on the internet lie.

The PCIE issue is literally only going to affect bottom of the barrel motherboards from like 2006. Anything remotely new/decent is going to be fine.

can you still feel it user??

it always tickles my prostate watching a retard flail

Niggers never learn.

No, but I can never forgive him for what he's done to fallout and RPGs as a whole

perfect, I didn't even see it at first

If going over the spec meant motherboard death, you'd expect a lot of older generations of cards powered only by PCI-E to have killed off a lot more computers by overclocking, pushing things much further over the limit.
I mean, it's still not the best of moves by AMD. Outliers will get torched and media will blow it up like there's no tomorrow.

My God, I'd never thought of it.

wew

People taht want thia are people running the likes of i5 2500ks

They are to cheap to buy high end gear so just want a mod range card to run on their old MB's

People with good hardware are buying the 1070. This effects the market that would buy the card not the ones that would want a better card anyway.

Gtx1060 is going to be 250 and 15% then the 480

Holy shit he is right, only effects people with low end hardware, only people with low end hardware would buy the 480.

It's also a possibility that older AM3+ mobo are lying on the specs, remember that you had 760G chipset mobo rated for FX-8350 CPU but in practice if you draw that much power from the CPU socket you're gonna fry your mobo in a hurry.

Now you see that most of the people claiming their PCIe slots are fried use 5+ year old AM3+ mobo.

Doesn't matter anyway the simplest solution is putting a fucking 8 pin connector like it should have been right from the fucking start, AMD should have learned from NVIDIA back when they released the GTX 460 with a 6+6 pin power connector.

AM3+ mobo are PCIe 2.0 compliant not PCIe 3.0 compliant.

You anal dildo using homos are fucking retarded

Paid?

Anyone not sucking AMD's dick is a paid shill?

ITT Nvidia-cucks false flagging.

But all like all AMD cards it looks good on paper but it's ingame performance is shit, this one also is frying MB's

AMD lie about all their products, R290's Bulldozer, I want Zen to be good but I do not trust AMD at all and in my mind it's shit like all other AMD products till I am proved wrong.

dubs thread

Keep being a good goy and don't forget to grab 2x 1080tiâ„¢ for SLIâ„¢ and an Occulus Riftâ„¢ so you can play all those fun game coming out this year!

When the fuck did we become cuckchan? How stupid do you have to be to suck the circumcised cock of one Jew this hard only because he's a less successful Jew than the other one?

AMDrone fuck off, why don't you link SemiAccurate?

It's okay to be mad when you realize you got jewed and paid twice the price for half the power. :^)

That's why I'm hoping AMD dies soon. When AMD dies either someone actually competent picks up the torch, or Intel/Nvidia are split up due to monopoly laws. I honestly believe AMD are being propped up by the other two just to avoid this happening.

On the other hand they might pull a real Yarmulke-raiser and due to competition in the non-stationary PC market manage to slither out of the monopoly issue, in which case we'd have a monopoly.

No I just want more manufacturers to pop up and provide more viable options. There's so many choices for hard drives, RAM, and cases, but I only get a choice of 2 for GPU/CPU. It's the bare minimum for not being a monopoly.

CPUs are incredibly complicated and hideously expensive to design and manufacture. Unless FPGAs get a lot more exciting, don't expect more competition. Hell the Adreno line of mobile GPUs was made by ex-ATI peeps.

This thread reveals everything wrong with Holla Forums and imageboards post-07 in general.
I hate most of you and those I don't hate I don't like enough to ever want to meet you.

>he's never had to render 3d models using nvidia's god awful cards which are only good for playing vidya and nothing else
>he thinks amd, a company that makes chipsets and graphics cards and a majority of non optional computer parts at a lower cost than nvidia or (((intel))) ever could will go bust before a company that only makes overpriced graphics cards

also

We've had real shills here before again and again. Welcome to the wonderful world of viral marketing.

LOL like im totally not a shill im just a vchanner like one of u gaiz XD amd is totes lame

DESIGNATED

You know what is fucking infuriating? They probably KNEW they card was inefficient af. They had all the fucking data, they've tested it with 1080 themselves (no not the lies they presented of 2 RX480 being more efficient than a single 1080 or whatever it was). I mean they KNEW this thing was drawing this much power, why the FUCK did they not make it AT LEAST a 8 pin card`??????? 8 pin draws 150 W from the cable, whilst 6 only 75W. Even 1070 is 8 pin, and that shit draws LESS power than THIS SHIT.

HELL, If they fucking DID NOT WANT TO make this 8 pin, they should've AT LEAST released RX490 earlier with the 8 pin. Now they basically played themselves out of the market due to 1060 BTFOing RX480 with both better speed, better OC capability, better efficiency.. 6 pin is enough for that card, but not for RX480. Why they didn't decide to release RX490 first with 8 pin, and RX480, is beyond me. I was soooo fucking hyped for AMD, this is fucking incompetent as fuck!!!!!!!!!!!

love how reddit deleted his post and comments…..typical.
community.amd.com/thread/202410
Turn on CC for the embed video and watch.

So… this is the power… of NVIDIA marketing slides…

15% better for the same price and not frying your MB is BTFO

1070 is BTFOing Nvidias other cards, it consumes less power than RX480

1060 will be 980 equivalent with less power consumption than RX480 (since 1070 already has less, every graph confirms this), so it will OC where as current RX480 will not OC at all. MSI already has 8+6 1070 card, RX480 didn't even launch with a single 8 pin…

What fucking cunts, I was boycotting nvidia because of their bullshit, but at least what they did didn't cause hardware damage to peoples computers

There would've been not a single fucking problem, if AMD had launched RX480 with 8 pin instead of 6. They had the fucking data, they had compared RX480s to Nvidias behind closed doors. They fucking dropped the ball.

8pin would make people it wasn't power efficient and that would be bad PR.

That choice backfired spectacularly.

Aren't there a graph with more than 3 games to show power consumption?

Fucking kek, I've never seen the Nvidia vs AMD shitfest described so well

When will the consolefag bait come?

Man back when Nvidia fucked up with the 970 even the majority of Nvidia fanboys were calling for heads to roll, now here we have reports of cards physically damaging motherboards and cucks try to rationalize it as lies and slander.

So many people seem desperate to defend AMD no matter what they shit out just because they're the underdog.

sums it up pretty well as well. People seem to flock to AMDindu under the impression that they aren't jewish when they're just nothing more than the less successful jew that bitches constantly about how much more of an effective jew the more other jew is. This time the lesser jew tried to shift into maximum overjew but the engine drew too much power and destroyed their jewmobile.

The majority of people buying budget cards like this are going to have budget motherboards (AMD's focus is on the budget/mainstream market so a card that damages budget computers is kind of a big deal).

I'm also seeing a lot of morons comparing this to the power draw of other cards like the PCIe-only GTX 950 (among other primarily Nvidia cards) and wondering why nobody made a big deal about it, without realizing that these cards' average power draw on the PCIe slot was still below the 75w mark (motherboards are generally designed to handle spikes reasonably well but if the average power draw is too high like with the 480 it can fry the socket as the traces and connectors often aren't designed to handle that kind of load over a prolonged period).

If they had have gone with an 8-pin connector this wouldn't have been an issue. Now they have to hope that the third party manufacturers can bail them out of this mess.

And they thought pushing Crossfire as the norm with these cards was a good idea (let's not even talk about how many problems multi-GPU setups have and how few games actually support it).

I cant tell who are the biggest fags here

AMD shills or Nintendo shills

How many shill threads do you even need? We get the point, NVidia, you can fucking stop.

Anything new, looking for a new card. Should I wait for the GTX1060?

Wait for Volta/Vega series HBM2. This current series is a rehash of the last two years. Don't bother if your current card is decent (aka isnt 600 series old).

It's a gtx670, the 2gb vram is killing me.

Niggers,

How about if I make a petreon asking for money to buy a 480 to test this theory. I have a run of the mill LGA1150 motherboard. Surely it would crack under 7 hours of straight gaming if' this rumor were true?
I'll make a video of me installing it and maybe streaming the gaming session with GPU temp/power draw overlay.

There has been only one reported board death and it was with an incredibly shitty mobo

As for the other guy posting mobo error codes who says it killed his slot he also admitted to overclocking which vastly increases power draw, and they always tell you from day fucking one YOU OVERCLOCK SHIT AT YOUR OWN RISK

AMD is issuing a driver out soon because ppl are either too cheap or too stupid to properly own a videocard and it will lock power draw on the PCI-E slot to max of 75 and it will be the end of it

Considering I hooked up my old GTX 480 and GTX 980 massively overdraw power off the PSU rail, and some sites showing that the GTX 960 and 970 also massively overdraw power from the PSU rail this is just another case of shitty parts causing early computer death when having any serious load applied to it

BTW GTX 960's regularly pull over 120 watts over the 6 pin and nobody lost their fucking minds over it

You could just run UValley benchmark which would probably be more load than Witcher 3 could ever apply

This whole shitfest sounds like improperly installed/tweaked/failing components and Nvidia shills are jumping at the chance to fan the flames

Worse is retards are eating it up left, right and center because soon as they read words on a screen they take it as truth

If this was such a wide spread and dangerous problem there would be dozens of cases of this so far, and yet out of over ten thousand 480's sold only TWO?

Something is up

I've owned both brands depending on whoever is better at the time, so far we've only had two "Confirmed" reports of board deaths

As for "AMD should have known better given there is shitty parts out there" is a terrible excuse to pin on AMD, historically how many ppl have thrown 980ti's into fucking DELLS which then promptly blow up?

Nobody bashed on Nvidia for that, they blamed the garbage components on it

That said you are 100% correct in that AMD should have expected this given that they are selling a card which is 100% the best value you can get ATM for a GPU, which would prompt ppl en mass to stick said cards in a DELL etc

The worst part is the guy posting pictures of his dead slot being fried, how do we know the 480 did that? He could have had another card in that slot years back that fried it

The thing we can take away from this is giving ppl cheap access to high performance parts will routinely cause them to stick them into underpowered equipment which then promptly goes tits up

Its like having a plug on the side of a 10 year old civic where you can attach a $200 cheap nitrous kit for added performance, which promptly explodes after two or three uses

I can't believe I almost fell for the RX 480 meme. Thank god I actually did a tiny bit of research beforehand.

?

Same here, although the ones with 8 pin connectors will probably be fine.
I'm still going to wait until several sites test them, though.

guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-radeon-r9-rx-480-8gb-review,7.html

An actual respectable website that does hardware reviews shows in no way the motherboard heating up that would be causing these so called blowouts

Me thinks this is just Nvidia shills pushing lies to keep 480 sales low

No shit. But who in their right mind is going to have a high-end motherboard like that and then skimp out with a mere 480 or two? That fucking thing is more expensive than Crossfire 480s.

The point is that the 480 is designed for budget gamers and such people are not going to be running systems with motherboards more expensive than the fucking video card.

If the 480 stayed within spec or used 8-pin this thread wouldn't even exist.

It stays within spec, only when overclocking does it go out of spec

Even the 7 hour guy admitted he was overclocking the shit out of it

Corporate citizen pls.

I don't really get how people let AMD vs. Nvidia threads burn out of control. While the console warrior ones usually get cut down fairly quickly.

It's the more retarded thing to come down strongly on either side too, full on autism. I just know I have disdain for both of them at this point.

It doesn't stay in spec you fucking retard
Fucking use google
google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=480 pcie
EVEN AMD ADMITTED RX 480 DRAWS MORE POWER THAN PCIE SPECIFICATION ALLOWS FOR PCIE SLOT [75W LIMIT]

Can they fix it with a firmware update but I guess that will gimp the card, 3rd party ones should fix thought right?

because the mods are retarded pcfags that post in these threads, but anything remotely competition oriented about consoles is not allowed.

Manufacturers with non-referential PCB designs should fix it, as long as they have 8pin or 6+6 pins pcie power sockets.

Everything with 6pin will be affected tho.
Really stupid mistake by AMD cause they could drop that additional load onto 6pin pcie, which can handle way more than standard 75W, instead they made the card draw more power from motherboard slot, which handles it bad.

Not sure whenever they can reconfigure mobo slot/pcie connector power draw ratio with firmware, it might be hard-wired. So most likely they will just undervolt or throttle cards - the second one will suck as it will lower performance.

HOLY FUCKING SMELLY NIGGER FAGGOT DICKS

RX 480 IS FASTER WHILE UNDERVOLTED AND IS STILL STABLE WITH NO ARTIFACTS ON SCREEN AND SHIT YOU NIGGERS.

FUCK

legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-rx-480-undervolting-performance_183699

OH FUCKING NIGGERS, EARLY BATCHES OF RX480 4GB CARDS ACTUALLY HAVE 8GB. ATTEMPTS TO UNLOCK THE FULL 8 GB FAILED SO FAR, BUT HOLY NIGGERS.

guru3d.com/news-story/early-batches-of-radeon-rx-480-4gb-cards-actually-do-have-8gb-memory.html

SHITCOCK

lmao this is worse than 3.5GB bullshit nvidia did, at least it didn't permamently burn your PCI-E slot

Feels good not to be brand loyalist, I was laughing then and im laughing now. Nvidia or amd-only people are worse than console faggots at this point.

Congrats

Except almost every GPU out there already draws power over spec over the PSU rail

This time AMD decided to do a half and half instead of sticking an 8 pin onto the card

So instead of a high chance of a GPU blowing a shitty PSU it has a lower chance of blowing either the PSU or the Mobo

Except it doesn't work like that.
6 pin PCIE connector can deliver up to 75W, while 8 pin PCIE connector can do 250W.
Much more current going through just thanks to 2 more pins, huh? Until you learn that those 2 additional pins are not even current rails, they are 2 additional ground pins.

Manufacturers were using over the specification current over those connectors because they can handle it, and they do it well.
Unlike the mobos, hence why there are mad people with either damaged ports or busted mobo ICs.

If the AMD would draw that over the spec current over 6pin PCIE, like they and the others always did, we wouldn't be hearing about any issues today.

What was wrong with having 2x6 pin connections? It's not like you had to use all that power it was only their if needed.

Fuck this eco shit.

BUT THEN, THE RX480 TURNED INTO A FUCKING NIGGER

FUCK YOU

That's not what Occam's Razor means.

Jesus tap-dancing Christ the shilling. The fucking shilling.

Okay, firstly, PCI-E power draw probably isn't an issue. Less of an issue then the 3.5 VRAM thing with the 970. If you are really that concerned, see below.

Second, of course the fucking reference design sucks. They always suck. Founder Edition throttles like a bitch. Do not buy reference. Ever. Partner boards will have better cooling and better power management, get one of those. Always, no matter which company you buy from.

Third, AMD did fuck up the RX 480, but not putting an 8-pin on reference. They wanted to push that this wasn't a power hungry design and in doing so, they hamstrung it's overclocking ability, just like how Nvidia did the same to it's 'Founders Edition' only with shitty cooling. This is why people trying to stretch the RX480 are getting weird PCI-E results. If you get Reference this gen (again, why), don't overclock it. This goes for AMD and Nvidia.

Lastly, don't listen to the shills. Make an unbiased choice based on price, performance and features. You are the consumer, be a smart consumer. Currently, the RX 480 is the best option in it's price bracket. The 1060 may change it, it may not. The decision to wait is up to you, but in the world of tech, waiting because something better is coming 'soon' can very quickly lead you to waiting a very long time. There is always something better coming soon.

In the end, my personal opinion is thus. If you need something soon, partner boards will be up in a week or two for the RX 480. Get that. If it's not pressing, wait for 1060 and RX 470 and decide which of the 3 is best for you. It's possible both the RX 470 and the 1060 may be monsters in price to performance for their weight class. Or they could both fizzle, in which case the RX 480 will still be there.

That's it. Like seriously, that's this whole fucking shitshow broken down to the truth. Also, Check'em.

Nvidia offered a free refund, AMD have not.

3.5 only effected the card.
AMD are blowing up MB. Ones you might not be able to buy anymore so will have to build a whole new PC.

Proof? No reviewer has managed to kill a motherboard with an RX 480. A few youtubers even tried to damage a motherboard, buying an old OEM board and overclocking. Nothing. Most they got was standard overclocking instability causing crashes. Nothing new.

Toms Hardware, the site to start this whole clusterfuck, even did a second article explaining what they meant and pointing out this has in general been blown out of proportion and that aftermarket cards should resolve what is really a fairly minor issue.

The card is less then a week old. If you are really THAT unhappy with it, you return it to the retail outlet you bought it from.

You are either a shill, or painfully and woefully uninformed.

1060's been announced at $250, $300 for the early access edition.
No benches yet but it isn't looking great for AMD. Good thing they already got a bunch of cards out the door, I guess.

It's over AMD lost

anandtech.com/show/10474/nvidia-announces-geforce-gtx-1060-july-19

$250 better then the 480 won't fry your MB.

AMDrones on suicide watch.

You can keep shilling around my posts as much as you want, but people are going to notice you aren't addressing getting called out on your bullshit.

Secondly, if this card is really 250 for AID boards and matches the 980, then it will defeat the RX480 by about 10-15% with around 10-15% less power usage (150watt vs 120watt).

That's basically accepted. 50 bucks for around a 10% bump is what you should generally expect. More then likely, I expect partner boards to be very fancy and push for 275/300 and be the tier just above the RX480. I don't think it'll beat the RX480 in raw Price/performance, but it'll be an overall more powerful card. That doesn't make it the obvious choice though.

Expect you know Nvidia actually preform well in games thanks to driver support.

Also physx and hairworks are very nice features.

It's pretty much toast. AMD had to have a substantial price/performance edge as no one wants to deal with their compatibility and driver problems and won't if there's a close enough jewvidia card.

Oh hey, look at this.

tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-power-fix,4668.html

Problem fucking solved. It's sorta like people were freaking out over FUCKING NOTHING.

HOLY NIGGERS

Driver hack not a firmware fix, what the fuck are they doing. So linux still get broken MB's cause they drivers are Windows only, also in a few years the drivers won't support the 480 so will cause MB failures again.

AMD release a firmware fix for fuck sake but anyway you are too late GTX1060 stole your thunder.

Will they fix it proper

amd will always lose because nvidia pumps so fucking much into advertisement especially sponsoring the twitch streamers and youtubers

like in this vid from 49:19 and especially the 55:05 zen segment
youtube.com/watch?v=bzL4UDckLHY

Did you miss the great E3 AMD shilling? Amd will always lose because when on jewish lands you better be a good goy.

Nevermind, didn't check your link first.

I've had no founders edition throttling with my GTX 1080, its really fucking weird

I'm pulling 2063mhz all the time