Why hasn't this been a game yet?

How come nobody has ever tried to make this? I think that in the right hands, it could be a good RTS or maybe a Total War type game; hell, maybe even a brutal, fast paced FPS/TPS (no, Gears and that shit-fest Lost Planet series don't count), but as far as I know, no one has ever attempted to try to turn this particular IP into a game.

And before anyone fucking says anything, what you faggots think about the quality of the movies themselves is irrelevant to this discussion, I'm solely talking about potential for vidya.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Troopers_(video_game)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Troopers_(video_game)

There was the Starship Troopers: Terran Ascendancy squad tactics game that was admittedly pretty terrible shit. But I got it when I was most obsessed about SST so it maintains a special place in my heart to this day.

Then there was also the FPS SST game. It had some pretty impressive horde fights, but in general it was also pretty terrible quality. The other troopers looked like absolute shit and the voice acting was beyond terrible. Some of the early 'boss fights' are a disaster from a design perspective. The mission where you advance uphill and fight plasma bugs you basically need to kill one with a BB gun and some harsh language. I think it literally took over 45 minutes to kill the plasma bugs.

The FPS was so full of artificial difficulty it was a neverending chore even when not if, forget that, it's when you cheated nonstop.
The RTT was a brilliant shining light of gaming goodness in comparison. Formations that automatically retreat slowly while firing at wannabe melee attackers? Yes, sir, please more of that, sir! If only that mission where you're tasked with capturing one of the flying bugs alive hadn't been. Fucking impossible.

They already did.

The best starship troopers video game is earth defense force.

shit that was gonna be my response too

The story of Starship Troopers would be a nice framework to design vidya around but then again the attempts that have been made weren't that good.
I think military science fiction in general is a good groundwork for games. Just look at novels like The Forever War.

It's been several already you fucking tard.

FPS is great though, especially compared to modern trash.
Lots of budget and devlopment related shortcomings though.

It's sad there's been a million Starship Troopers mods but only like three were released (Duke3d mod, SWBF2 mod and an RTS mod based on the books for Star Wars Empire at War).

I know OP said not to dump on the movies, but why aren't there any /m/ANLY Starship Troopers vidya? Seriously:

It would be like a mecha game (ideally classic MechWarrior), except you're just small enough to do close-quarters combat in urban, indoor, or underground environments without stripping down to t-shirts & flashlights.

…it's called 40k

40k isnt really known for its many good games

Because Looking Glass is dead.

Apply yourself

My fucking nigger. I still reinstall it every two years or so. To my shame I've never beaten it. The later missions are a bit of a slog.

What 40k vidya really lacks is a good FPS and a good RPG. Fire Warrior was atrocious, even though it has the most accurate depíction of a bolter in vidya to date.

Is it any good?

It gets repetitive after awhile and is only really fun with friends. This is at least what I've heard.

Yes, half of the book is the teacher's rambling about how the Nazis were great and democracy doesn't work.

It's kind of weird how this was written by a WWII veteran FROM THE ALLIED SIDE

you seem to have brain problems, have you considered getting help?

Not really, the USSR also had many nationalists from countries other than Russia fighting on their side. The government's official stance does not change the opinions of their military, which is one of the reasons why Merkel wants to dissolve the German military, since there is so much tension between the government itself and the military that the liberals in it fear a coup-d'etat.

Do you like playing Air Raider, calling in artillery strikes, support equipment, and vehicles to defeat the aliens and spread democracy? It is good.

The RTT game is gud.

Short but gud.

i think he wants some cinematic experience and philosophy when he is not killing bugs dat din du noffing

EDF did it right and helldivers got boring within the hour.

It's Magicka in different dressing. You call in airstrikes and pilotable vehicles by punching dpad combos, and with everything else going on it's easy to accidentally kill your team mates when the stuff drops. Also reviving team mates is done by dropping in another soldier, which can kill one of the other team mates.

Niglet you must be baitin'.

The book is about how military service is great and UNIVERSAL democracy doesn't work.
In the society of the story, political representation is limited, not based on qualities of birth or social class, but to those who have served in the armed forces. You serve in the military, serve diligently and get honorably discharged, you are awarded the privilege to vote and hold political office.

The basic theory behind this arrangement is that if you have to work for political enfranchisement, you will have a greater respect for the exclusive right than you would otherwise have (like how most people don't bother to vote on election day, and take their right to vote for granted). In the real world some modern countries still have mandatory military service, but it is not typically tied to political representation.
The military-based government does not even have a serious stigma against non-military civilians. In the book, there are examples of private citizens who never serve in the military but still make something of themselves; they do not suffer for their lack of service, they simply do not have a vote. It is even a minor point of contention in the novel, because the protagonist's father is a wealthy businessman who never served and he disapproves of his son signing up for service. He lets his son serve, because he can't legally bar his son from serving, but voices his displeasure and says his son is unnecessarily risking his life.
The system isn't as radical or authoritarian as detractors claim it is, and the book is an entertaining read for a classic military sci fi fan. The author can get preachy at times, but it is not to the point of distraction.

there was a game

You want to have a human being in there, right?
Do you also want him to NOT have his legs torn from his body or pelvis shattered when the armor tries to make him move in ways the human body shouldn't?
Jet packs would be neat, but there's the whole "where do you put the fuel" problem along with the "lights itself on fire" and "lands with bone crushing force and organ rupturing jolts and shocks" thing.
Shouldn't be too hard, unless you want your trooper to be able to hide or have an electronic signature smaller than a jet fighter.
Also all that shit would require large amounts of energy, requiring your dudes to run around with a small nuclear reactor, fission or fusion, to power it all, giving him a hefty thermal signature and exposing anyone wearing the suit or just standing within 100 meters of it of a not entirely inconsiderable dose of radiation…
Add a few inches worth of steel plating all around to keep the occupant safe from automatic rifles.
By now your average "space marine" is weighing several tons and will fall straight through the floorboards of most ordinary houses.
And they're still vulnerable to determined unaugmented humans armed with molotov cocktails that can boil the occupant inside his armor in short order, heavy weapons like m82's or m2 machineguns and small vehicles.
But at least you now have your power armored boyscouts.

Btw, what kind of country would trust a grunt barely out of boot with a nuke? Those fuckers won't even get tiny ones.

I haven't seen Starship Troopers, but apparently some of its material carried over into Power Rangers Lost Galaxy.
Personally, I wish for a good Power Rangers Lost Galaxy video game. Good God, that would be one of the best things ever.

Mobile infantry underwent heavy training before they were admitted to even touch a suit. Even then, drills were strict to the point where one instance of not doing exactly what sarge said could get you discharged.

Onboard AI automatically activated jets to slow descent. They can also be actuated manually.

True, but they were more for fucking shit up than sneaking.

They used some sort of rechargeable battery. If they made their own power it was only a little.

Mobile infantry ain't average

They also popped up again in firefly as Alliance troopers. Right down to the guns, all they got was a coat of purple paint.

By the time you have all your 5 sets of spare super guns, all in the .50 cal machineguns and up level of firepower, a bomb rack, anti tank missile system, ECM system, jetpack, 3 tons of armor plating to keep the trooper safe from anything smaller than itself and the kind of reactor you'd need to power all that, you have a machine with the complexity of a jet fighter.
It won't be used by a grunt. And it'll likely look more like a Votoms than a 40k spess meehreeen too.
Trust me, your grunts will need more than 12 months in boot before they can be trusted with something like that…

Batteries have limited life spans and you don't want to muck about trying to change batteries in a crisis because the 12 hour lifetime of the batteries ran out in the middle of a patrol.
Especially if you want those jumpjets. Those are going to take a hefty amount of energy to operate.
All in all, by the time you're done, what you have is less "augmented armor" than it is a small walking tank.

The starship troopers book kinda pissed me off at some parts

the regular soldier class is more like a starship trooper soldier, fencer is more like WH40k space marine

Nigga learn you to read

reading is for faggots

Why live?

What are the chances OP has read the book? My bet is he just watched the movie for the first time.

At least we will be able to look forward to way of the samurai 2 and 1 haha
hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Pretty low.

To be fair the movie is pretty much made without the book in mind, they just slapped the title on it at the end

Teenagers out.

There's a game coming out for PSVR called Farpoint that's a lot like Starship Troopers apparently.
Not that I expect it'll be any good

This is why it doesn't really work as a game: the book itself was mostly a vehicle for nationalism and shit. Spec Ops: The Line would probably be a good template to work off of, but I suspect that most people just want to shoot bugs.

Hell, in the book they clearly establish that civil service doesn't even mean military service, the military aspect ended up being a minority of the ways in which you got the vote

Go read Moby Dick
Nothing happens but by the end you'll be able to dissect a whale and harvest it's sweet sweet oil with your eyes closed

I don't really think Forever War would be a good premise for a video game honestly.

Every time they get back to Earth its decades if not centuries into the future, and their entire toolkit is replaced. So for that reason, I don't think it would be a very good shooter. As a strategy game you have a similar problem, every level would have fundamentally different units. They were basically guessing what things would probably look like and sent out ships lightyears away hoping they were equipped to deal with their new enemy.

I have this problem where I read anything by Heinlein in Michael Ironside's voice. Could be worse I guess.

Didn't they also say that they often had to make work for people, to the extent where they were basically Janitors on some rock in the middle of nowhere? The simple fact the man took a risk, however small, gave him the right to vote.

Also it's obvious you haven't read the book because more than half of your post is answered in detail in it, and what isn't is irrelevant anyway, like vulnerability to molotovs (as though you are going to land a molotov on an MI, let alone doing so without his squadmates shredding you before putting him out) and heavy MG's (they'll also perforate most personel carriers, but you still see them being used).

Know-nothing know-it-alls like you are the worst.

Fuck the movies, I want a game of the books. WHERE ARE MY POCKET NUKE TERROR RAIDS

.>>9902180
Because modern hardware cannot do dozens, let alone hundreds of enemy models at the same time while still maintaining graphical fidelity that will let sell the games to normalfags

The book never addresses a lot of this shit you mongoloid degenerate.
It never mentions even once how the armors are supposed to move a humans legs faster than a humans legs can move while attached to a human body. With out moving the machines legs faster, it won't run any faster than an unaugmented and unencumbered human.
You can have the machine do all the muscle work to solve the issue of tiring, or at least give the user a lot of extra stamina, but you can't move the legs faster or take bigger steps or you are going to castrate the user in the process.

Same goes for explaining how the jets that let you jump, handle their heat build up, fuel and energy use.
In short, any jet that can toss a 2-3 ton heavy armor if not heavier through the air at even 100 km/h is going to need A LOT of energy. If you don't want your armor getting shot out of the sky because its jumping slower than cars go on a highway, you are going to need several times more energy than that. The amount of energy needed to run at 40 km/h would be tiny by comparison. Since you only have a small suit with severely limited internal volume you can't just rely on traditional propellant for your suit, since you'd need over a hundred liters per jump just to get your 3 ton armor off the ground, and there's nowhere to put all that fuel.
In short, if you want to zip around in the sky like a bird, a jet fighter will serve you better than an infantryman in a walking tank.
And then there's the matter of the heat from all that energy being used to toss your grunt through the sky. This a big problem because you can't just let your thrusters build up several thousand degrees of waste heat when they're sitting less than 10 inches from the dude inside the armor…

All these energy requirements build up, meaning that there is no theoretical kind of batteries that could ever hope to provide enough energy density to power that suit. In short, you can't just use stored energy, since there isn't a battery powerful enough to run that suit for more than a few mins at a time, so you are going to have to do what a jet fighter does. Make the power on the go, hence the need for a reactor of some sort to produce huge amounts of power, and not just a battery.

In short, your armor would be the size of a tank or a jet fighter, have worse performance than one, since a big clunky armor with a jetpack isn't exactly going to be nimble and graceful in the sky, will be so massively complex it will need as much or more maintenance as a jet fighter, will have a limited operational range and deployment time before it needs a team of technicians to go over it, which you can't really do in the field or on a patrol, it won't fit inside buildings and in general will have none of the advantages infantry have and will in no way be able to replace infantry in the field.
It will just be a walking jetfighter for short raids, before it runs out of fuel.

While the idea is neat, we will need a lot of huge breakthroughs in current tech before we can actually make power armor that can actually do all the crap Heinlein came up with.
Current stuff being worked on is just a glorified forklift with maybe a few extra armor plates on it. Nothing like what he described beyond "armor that makes the guy wearing it stronger".

Because it's a non-issue.
You write as though running faster just means moving your legs faster when it doesn't.
What it would involve is longer, bounding strides and possibly rocket assistance.
Even simply using powerisers will get the average person running at 30kmh, add artificial muscles and computer stabilization to the mix and 40kmh would be nothing special.

Contemporary jetpacks will get you to over 100kmh and burn for over thirty seconds.
Heat buildup was never a big problem, exhaust gas heat can and usually is channeled away for the wearer and jet exhaust can be mixed with cooler air, making it safe for even for an unprotected wearer.
And that's based on cold war research and development.

Where did you get the idea that it would weigh that much?

Who cares about internal volume?
You could just mount propellant tanks externally and drop them when they're exhausted.

Again it looks like you didn't read the book.
The marauder armor flies in long, low altitude bounds, not like a helicopter or something like that.

You are pulling numbers out of your ass.
Rocket belts built in real life didn't even need cooling systems at all and bigger jetpacks (as would be necessary for propelling a few hundred kilos of soldier) would easily be fitted with them.

There doesn't need to be.
If the movement is via pneumatic or hydraulic systems you can pressurize them with an internal combustion engine that could also be used to top up the batteries.
Have it share the same fuel as the rocket pack and you'll have as much operational time as you can carry.

Certainly not, but again, that isn't the point: bouncing a few hundred meters from cover to cover is what it was there for.

Read the book.
Regular infantry are still used for holding ground and grunt work.
The MI were used as a replacement for mechanized and motorized infantry, not infantry altogether.
Now look at the cost and maintenance of an AFV.

I completely agree.

One hundred years ago a tank was just a tractor with some barely bulletproof armor and a low-velocity cannon thrown on.
It took decades of further development before they were able to operate with any degree of reliability, outpace a man on foot, travel any appreciable distance without running out of fuel, carry radios and so on.