Are we ever going to see a worthy sequel to this masterpiece?

Are we ever going to see a worthy sequel to this masterpiece?

Other urls found in this thread:

swordandacorn.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/non-weaponproficiencies/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Baldurs Gate killed rpgs.

how?

well, i meant something newer actually, like 2016 shit or sth

but I haven't played icewind dale actually, is it good?

masterpiss indeed

No, but Beamdog is working on a new D&D title which might be BG3, so you better get ready for some social justice.

No, That would be Oblivion and Skyrim.

Solid line of thinking.

Why would you want to? The story is over, it had a beginning, a middle and an end, there is no need for more. Or do you mean a game in that style?

I never really cared about Siege of Dragonspear, but a while before release I decided to check one of their videos out, I think it was the one the second pic is from. When I saw the kind of people they were willing to put up as their public face I knew it would be going to be a disaster. I didn't even watch the video anymore, I was just waiting for the fallout.

Of corsh.

Blow your brains out BlackIslefags. You are the cancer that killed PC RPGs.

I hope not. It ended gracefully.

Unless it were something like that Dragon Age mod that was doing a 1:1 recreation

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHHHHHHAAAAAAAHHHHHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

Go back to playing Hipster CSCOD dudebros or weebshit jrpgs. Faggots.

Did they ever finish that mod?

Nah, same thing happened that happens to all projects of that size. People lost interest or life got in the way.

They did finish all of irenicus' dungeon and the marketplace though.

That's a shame, but at least they got something done.

With an AAA budget? Probably not, DA:O was the last swing anybody'll take at it for the foreseeable future. The likeliest scenario I can imagine for an AAA studio is if someone decides to take another crack at the mod-platform-as-RPG design in the mold of NWN and FRUA.

From a midsize studio? Crud like PoE and SoD, for all their quality problems, show it can be done from an asset cost perspective, even if the tragic failure of Broken Hourglass provides a cautionary tale. Away from RTwP over on the TB side of the isometric fence, heaps of pretty solid games like AoD, D:OS, KotC, Expeditions, Underrail, and Blackguards prove that developers uncorrupted by the Koolaid still exist within the WRPG genre.

You haven't played it? It's exactly like BG, except with less plot (for one thing, you're expected to make a full-custom party instead of recruiting NPCs), and more ambitious combat.

If you want to pass the time until the next time the industry temporarily unfugs itself, try all the other classic Bioware/Black Isle/Troika/Obsidian at the very least, they're filthy cheap if you buy games.

No, that would be Ultima Online. Fitting, since it's the same franchise that kicked off the RPG supergenre and each of its individual subgenres.

Does anyone have that post with the irenicus speech, but with bioware instead of ellesime?

Or rather killed dungeon crawlers.

But bladder's gates are bioware, fam.

Divinity Original Sin is IMHO a solid game to play if you like Baldur's Gate. Wastelands is a great time-killer for a modern day version of Fallout 1-2.

(I have completed BG1-2, ICD1-2, Fallout 1-2)

Nigger I hate Baldur's gate and its offsprings but none of your statements is true.
If you criticize something, at least do it in sentient manner.

Should be easy to prove me wrong then.

Are you retarded or just illiterate?
Baldurs gate has no
?

Hack and slash disguised as rpg is debatable but the combat system in the game is trash regardless.

Any second now.

I still want my modern RTwP tactical party fantasy RPG, something like a high fantasy version of 7.62mm with a proper story.

All the other points are pretty subjective matters of taste (butchered the AD&D ruleset? RTwP always sucks? AD&D wasn't intended as hack&slash?) and I mostly disagree with all of them, but the more debatable point, the Bioware writing style, is pretty unambiguously wrong. The real cancer in Bioware's writing only happened from about KotOR to DA2 (probably crossing the point of no return around ME2), even though some inklings of what would doom their writing were visible in earlier games, the writing was no more flawed than any other company's at the time, and had a pleasantly genre epic feel that made them comfortably middle-of-the-road.

swordandacorn.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/non-weaponproficiencies/
How many of those were in bgs? How much stats mattered outside of combat?

feels bad man

All those moments will be lost to time, like tears in the rain.

Oh, I assumed you meant actual rules changes, like rejiggering the initiative/segment/round system to 6 seconds, rather than mere omission. In that case, can you really think of any D&D games that implemented even a fraction of the system's broader capabilities, like crafting, mounts/vehicles, services/hirelings/followers/contacts, information gathering, downtime/survival/professions, or planar shenanigans? Not to mention the depths of the game's combat system, like nonlethal damage, grapples, disarms, sundering, flight, teleportation, and in-combat skills like intimidation or bluff?

Neither ToEE nor Incursion IMHO, ambitious as they were, extended that much further than BG into D&D's depths. Even outside D&D, more original CRPGs with numerous subsystems like Fallout, TES, and WoW, barely scratch the surface of typical tabletop rules that require little or none of the DM arbitration accused of limiting CRPGs.

Compared to prior, contemporary, and future CRPGs alike, BG is on the top of the heap so far as both system depth and scenario breadth are concerned. I agree BG falls short of what something like it could've been, but I think it's still both highly ambitious and highly successful in its aims. Are you actually saying BG is particularly bad, or just that it shouldn't have been attempted?

Eh, it worked well enough in the game.

While it would have been better if the game was turn-based, the auto-pause options made it tolerable.

I enjoyed the writing in BG2. While it certainly wasn't on the level of, say, Planescape Torment, it was far superior to the Tumblr fanficiton tier writing Bioware games have today. It was like the writing you'd find in a decent comic book.

Again, while the combat could have been a lot better, it worked well enough for the game.

Non-weapon proficiencies are cancer. AD&D 2nd Edition is cancer. Only 1st Edition AD&D wasn't cancerous. But all of that aside, Baldurs Gate fucks up on account of being a video game. It's simply incapable of portraying an accurate form of dungeon crawling.

I realize you're probably being sarcastic, but I honestly agree later editions of D&D missed the mark by implementing universal systems like skills, feats, templates, and especially multiclassing. Class-based systems like D&D should feel as different as possible from generic point-buy ones.

I bet you guys like 3.5e

Topic:
It doesn't need a sequel. The series is done. The story is over. We won't ever again see a decently written RPG anyway.

Removing turn is a pretty big rule change.

Nope.

Troll; only in a few areas enemies respawned constantly.

What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

And to think they are even allowed to touch Planescape: Torment. Fucking end it all, please.

Yup, bioware is good at illusion of choice.
Nalia, Anomen, Minsc, Irenicus

The enemies in the map respawn as soon as you change screens. Not even maps, fucking screens.

Jaheira hitting on the player character and Minsc becoming bipolar are the most apparent one.

The fact that you think dialogue choices actually matter(they don't even have skill or attribute checks making character building for roleplaying purposes completely pointless) makes me think you haven't actually played the game but have read about it on some site.

Official D&D Tier List

AD&D1E (pre-UA) > OD&D > AD&D1E (post-UA) > D&D3.5 = AD&D2E > D&D5E > D&D4E = Pathfinder

You shouldn't need proficiencies to say if your Ranger has knowledge of how to train animals or whatever else. You write up your character, describe their story, and leave it at that. You want to have a magic-user blacksmith with the goal of one day becoming the great wizard smith who forges the ultimate magic weapons for the party? That's up to you and your DM. Not a fucking rulebook.

Serious DND games have never worked whenever I've been a part of them. They always devolve into an argument between the DM and someone who's mad that their crippled Dwarf Paladin can't pass an agility check or some stupid shit like that. Playing casual DND is much more enjoyable with a group.

???

I gave that as a specific example of an actual rules change, as opposed to the scope restriction you complained of (and it's mostly a different interpretation of the logic underlying the rules, anyway. D&D was fuzzier back then, too. For instance, grid/hex positioning was optional up until 4e).

BG1 was actually pretty bad about respawn spam, especially in outdoor areas. BG2/IWD used it much more tastefully.

>>>/gulag/

I fucking hate this.

I remember that after playing Bg1 (with tales of the sword coast) me and my team of buddies were all waiting for bg2…
In the meantime I was the only one who dared to play Planescape: Torment. I don't believe I'll be playing that again, that was a one-in-a-lifetime experience.
One of my buds completed Icewind Dale in only two weeks, I guess he liked the game.

Finally, bg2 arrived to our hands (a pirated copy, we barely had any cash) but unlike my friends, I refused to play the game until I had the expansion (already in the works by then). My father had to make a business trip to America (we're from Chile) and I asked him to bring me a copy of Throne of Bhaal. That was one of my first original PC-games. Eventually I had a legit Shadows of Amn too, they are standing in my shelf as a proud memento of good times.

One of my friends refused to play bg2: he said it felt too "arabian", unlike bg1 which was more classic european middle-age. I didn't have his problem but I got the point.

If I make a game it might be about my social conditions (whatever they are) but I would certainly not be called Baldur's Gate because that would be an insult to the fanbase.

I don't know about this BG3 thing, I'll wait for people with more patience than me to check it out first. I have waited all my life, I can keep waiting.

Unearthed Arcana was shit. It ruined the game. Still better off than 3.5. 3.5 Core may be on the same tier.

Pathfinder is complete shit in all respects, as is D&D4E.

>>>/gaschamber/

There are attribute checks, but they are not dice rolls. You either have the required stat or you don't.

Really? I ran it twice with different builds and found no difference.
Are the stat checks just absurdly low or just inconsequential?

You can count the amount of stats checks in bgs with a single hand.

literally the best part of being a GM is making shit up

that's a dude, isnt it?

Abandon all hope.

For example, the Bard stronghold has Charisma and Intelligence checks. Of course, you can chug potions or put on +stat items and the checks become pointless. Either that, or all of your stats are so high you hit all of the checks anyway.

Crafting skills didn't exist up until UA and the books that followed in AD&D. My player wants to try and make a holy sword? He can try. It won't work because he's not a fucking divine entity, he's a Level 3 Human Fighter.

I wouldn't even allow an item like that to be created by a non-NPC anyways. A holy relic is something that can only be provided through divine action. Further, I wouldn't allow any character to be put on 24/7 crafting detail without asking him to retire his character and having him become an NPC ally to the party. The game is about adventuring.

And as a DM, I personally wouldn't allow any character with a contrived backstory, or anything that contradicts his character. Genius? I'm going to need to seen an 18 INT.

Worst part of this is that you're actually old enough to post here.

Wait, what? Are they going to sodomize PS:T?

The only place with meaningful respawning enemies that I can think of is the wild magic maze in Watcher's Keep. But that's so late into the game that there's absolutely no point in farming there since you neither need the xp to get stronger, nor do you get anything of value in the form of drops. The 35 xp orcs respawning in the dragon's dungeon is of no consequence.

If you're talking about BG1, then ya the respawn system doesn't make much sense, but I think it can be overlooked since it doesn't matter all that much. It's a very, very small annoyance.

I liked the ID games a lot more than BG, they're less focused on story and more on gameplay/combat
It's also a lot more simple, instead of some grand story driven quest, you're a team of adventurers who gets hired to go fuck shit up

I'd also recommend Temple of Elemental Evil

If I remember correctly, 10 is the heroic average, and 4 points over someone counts as being twice as good as the other person, as far as fluff goes, so a 14 in intelligence is twice as intelligent as a hero, who is already well above the common man, so I think that's about where you could start classifying someone as a genius. Also, crafting skills were implemented with the whole "it takes you a year to level, because you're training yourself," mentality, I think. It's not something that was really meant to be used during adventures.

Item creation has been in the books since OD&D, though (as with everything else) requirements used to be a lot harsher.

Maybe an EE, but the PS:T quasi-sequel is being done by InXile.

What? The average for a mundane human is flat 10s across the board. Real heroes are rolled 3d6 in order

Nope. Ability scores are a bell-curve. The score of "10" indicates that the person is complete average within that regard, and further, this is the most common distribution of that. Rolling an 18 represents a character who is 1 in 216 - a prodigy in that field.

The game classifies intelligence in particular as:
0 - Non-Intelligent
1 - Animal
2-4 - Semi-Intelligent
5-7 - Low Intelligence
8-10 - Average (human) intelligence
11-12 - Very intelligent
13-14 - Highly intelligent
15-16 - Exceptionally intelligent
17-18 - Genius
19-20 - Supra-genius
21+ - Godlike intelligence

In AD&D and OD&D, the player wasn't exceptional in ability, he was exceptional in talent and luck. That was why he was a Level 1 character with a class, and not a Level 0 NPC. Most characters died. Many DMs opted to make it a bit easier to survive, and to focus on the RP aspects, by allowing rules like 4d6k1 for initial ability scores, or providing max HP at first level. With these sort of benefits, a party could be expected to see much fewer casualties.

Non-weapon proficiencies were implemented to try to add a layer of complexity that was unnecessary. Nobody wants to go to the bother of keeping track of how much firewood the party has when they could be doing heroic shit like slaying dragons and fucking princesses.

I don't have easy access to an OD&D text but with AD&D, the rules for fabricating magic items is about three pages in length, and is more of a suggestion list than hard rules, which essentially boils down to a long-winded way of saying "Gygax wants you dying in a dungeon not making shit".

Well, I stand corrected. I wasn't trying to talk out of my ass, but that's exactly what I ended up doing. I haven't played DnD in a long time.

Go play Temple of Elemental Evil.

My fellow Egyptian.

I see there is a new meme of Holla Forums these days.

HURR DURR BALDUR'S GATE SUCKS

HURR DURR DA COMBAT IS BWAD

HURR DURR THE WRITING IS BWAD

You cretins are fucking pathetic as all hell. Sorry OP, but this series will never get a proper sequel. Everything that was so great about gaming during that era has been destroyed by endless greed from know-nothing retards and they've filled the ranks of gaming with casuals that think this series is not one of the best ever in any form of media. Just remember: you were there and saw everything in its full glory before the world died.
At least you got to see true beauty while some of it still existed.

Baldurs Gate really isn't that fun. It's alright. It's better than modern RPGs by a long shot. But if I want to play a video game, I'd rather play something that's a reflex trial. The ability to save scum and the lack of options presented by a digital medium make the game a shallow reflection of the actual table-top game.

I'd argue Baldurs Gate is less fun for someone who is really into tabletop than it is for someone with only a passing interest.

Just to add there is a mod that allows you to have BG-style companions with a single PC. I could never finished Icewindale since the lack of banter in a large dungeon always ended up boring me. And while the gameplay was solid, there was little to make me feel invested in the world. The mod I'm talking about changed all that.

It's current year OP. The gamers of today can't handle this. Best get over it.

I have eclectic tastes user.

I like weebshit AND Baldur's Gate. Odd perhaps.

Real time with pause is cancer.

I don't understand those posts Holla Forums
I really liked BD2
I think is one of those games you like if you like games
I don't understand how can I share a board with these faggots
Am I out of touch?

How in the fuck can you compare BD2 to the god damn tabletop game. They are two different things. BD2 is, like, a videogame. You know, you click stuff and interact with things it only gets the set of rules to manage combat, and nothing else, and it feels different from playing pen and paper anyway because it happens in real time and you control an entire team of characters

You just have shit taste.

It's actually the best combat system for party-based RPGs. Turn-based shit shouldn't even be made and was only used when computers weren't advanced enough for real-time combat.

No, you just don't have autism like those basement-dwelling super-virgins who do nothing all day but shitpost in their parents' basement with 30+ years.

Hi Quentin

Baldurs Gate 2 was a decent CRPG. It isn't the pinnacle like may claim but it certainly isn't bad.

It's time to stop.

NEVER EVER

J"RPG"s killed RPGs

No, he's right. Garbage like BG (bioware games in general, long before EA shat them up further) killed CRPG's. We used to have good games like Wizardry and Might and Magic.

Star Ocean 2 is pretty great tho

No. You are just being trolled by a bunch of youngfags who completely missed out on some of the greatest games ever made and feel bitter about it so they want you to believe that your experience must have not been very good. They call this behavior "sour grapes" and it is always this pathetic.

Next thing you know they'll be saying how Fallout 1 + 2 are "not really great" and the real best CRPG was Akalabeth or some similar shit that you very likely never played. They know you played a superior game and probably did so when it was the toast of town, sharing in the glory. They know that Todd Howard lied to them their "golden era" of RPG gaming (most likely Oblivion or some similar shit) was objectively shit and they didn't find out until they were older. Imagine an adopted child who only found out the truth when they were 20 years old. Yeah, they mad, alright.

I'm sorry you missed out but you need to stop blaming criticism of an inferior game on your own failings to experience the actual good ones the genre had to offer.

And funny you mentioned Fallout. 1 and 2 are the only real fallout games. All 3d fps "fallouts" aren't real fallouts and only a gravedigging on an ip.

Sorry, kiddo, but pretending to be a superoldfag in order to try and diminish the undiminishable glory of BG just isn't going to work. Uncle Todd told you so many sweet little lies and now you are bitter as fuck. I'd feel like shit too if Oblivion was my starting base and as I grew up the entire world around me had infinite proof of how shit my engineered tastes had become due to millions of dollars per game in marketing. You will never know the feeling of sharing in the golden age of probably any type of game.

Must be a fun life! Try and stay healthy and your knees might not give out before perfect, 100% virtual gaming is possible. You might end up experiencing one of the golden eras for, say, 5 minutes before the ACL tears and you need multiple surgeries.

Ahh, what am I saying. Heresy of the type which you spew forth garners the fate of missing both golden eras completely. Go buy some more Mt. Dew and Cheetos, okay?

It's time to stop.

No
This is the long term effect of contrarian culture, things that were popular for being good become despised for being popular
That said, there are far better CRPGs that use D&D on the market and BG is mainly liked for storyfagging

Knights of the Chalice 2 looks amazing

MotB was better story telling and better story than BG2, but BG2 had the better characters.

KYS yourself.

And this is how I know your brain hasn't really matured enough yet. By claiming that the golden era for VR/AR would probably occur sometime around 2030 or 2040 I am actually shitting all over the current generation. Source: I own an Occulus Rift and it sucks. Go ahead and laugh at me for giving VR a chance and I'll laugh at you for not being able to read.

Keep paying attention in school, youngfag, and you'll get better at that reading thing.

and New Vegas on PC with lots of mods that remove most/all of the consolized bullshit is actually an amazing game whether you want to call it an RPG or something else, it deserves the Fallout name unlike 3 and 4

Enough is enough.

The game's too hard. I give up.

Doesn't something like NWN point to a possible merger between BG & VTT software? Fag-free Roll20 alternative never ever

It has tremendous advantages over TB (especially IGOUGO) in terms of eliminating logical flaws of priority and nonlinear time, while also being vastly superior to pure RT because it allows realistically instantaneous browsing through numerous complex menus and issuance of commands to multiple units. Its only real downfall for non-twitch genres is that it's reliant to some extent on AI, and that (like IGOUGO TB) it's a drag for big multiplayer games. The only other system that really beats it in any way is WEGO TB.

1/10

Aren't JRPGs also sorta dead since around FF13?

I think BG's strength, especially BG2, was the massive size and of the scenario and the quality of its assets. Short of something amateur like Exile III, nothing has really matched it in scale.

NV was a great Fallout scenario as filtered through the terrible game that is F3

There could be a return to games like these when gaming isn't a multi-million dollar industry.

For RPGs of any kind to return to being made for those who really like RPGs we just need people dedicated to making them because they love them.. not business men who want to cater to every possible customer to make a quick buck

1/10

Just because something isn't a masterpiece doesn't mean its a piece of shit
Considering you can't even get this through your thick skull no wonder you think a game with serious flaws that actually hamper the experience is a masterpiece because you cannot see beyond your tunnel vision.

Baldurs Gate was a multi million dollar game you retard
It was backed by Wizards of the coast and marketed to hell and back.
Were you even alive when the game was released?

Yeah faggot, but it was made to cater to people who played RPGs and not everyone else.. fucking faggot can't even read the whole post

Have you touched a single D&D game in your life?
The systems in Baldurs gate are even more watered down than the already casual ones that existed.

This, maybe the slavs will save us.

You shouldn't tell lies on the internet

I meant Table top, not computer RPGs
Baldurs gate came closest to emulating the Tabletop systems but it lacks many essential things that are important for actual roleplaying even if you disregard the static world.

Wrong on all accounts.

Well which computer game came closest to emulating D&D back in 1999?

You never mentioned anything about a specific year until now, faggot.

Are you legit autistic?

Do you not realize what past tense implies?
If I meant that it is still the best representation of the system I would have said "comes closest" not "came".

Before the present.

Years after 1999 and before now are completely valid to pick games from to prove you wrong, you're moving the goalposts to 1999.

By "actual roleplaying", do you mean freeform rules-lite magical tea party fate-point LARPer storygame faggotry? Or do you mean actual RPGs with rules to mediate play as anything more than an orgy of circlejerking?

Do you think a solid dungeon crawler using something as deep as most of D&D's ruleset could be implemented?

We already have a good sequel. Beamdog made an expansion pack that not only overhauls the graphics and gameplay, but also removes previous misogynistic jokes and adds in a new transgendered character.

Fuck off.

Lol your nostalgia is blinding you.

Just because you have reading comprehension of a baby doesn't change what I said. You are trying to put words in my mouth because of your stupidity.

Actual roleplaying as in character builds that affect the story or decisions beyond combat. Like having a low intelligence character in Fallout 2.

I think Neverwinter Nights was a good attempt at actually implementing a tabletop ruleset especially with its multiplayer

Baldur's Gate is good. Go play your little boy rpgs. Leave the real shit to the real men.

So you're admitting that you lied when you said Baldurs gate came the closest to emulating tabletop ruleset?

Didn't realize NWN was released in 1999

Is that a selfie because you sure are acting like a nigger

Fair enough, then. Sadly, writing an RPG that reactive with a handmade world the size of BG's would be a tremendous undertaking, so I think Bioware can be forgiven on that count. Agreed that NWN's approach of using players to "crowdsource" a lot of that reactivity and concentrating development on the core engine/rules/assets was a neat approach, one neither the 2013 Neverwinter MMO nor Sword Coast Legends even attempt to approach the ambition of.