zeldaclassic.com/index.php
1. Go to website
2. Download Zelda Classic for your OS
3. Peruse the Quest Database for something great
4. ???
5. Come back to this thread and report your experience/first impressions
rate, hate, masturbate
recommend, pretend, why can't we understand we kill ourselves in the end
I recommend anything made by DarkFlameWolf, especially Isle of the Winds and Lost Isle

FAQ
1. Download the latest Zelda Classic distribution here: zeldaclassic.com/downloads.php
2. Download a custom quest
3. Extract both as they come in compressed archives
4. Throw your .QST files into the Zelda Classic folder (same folder where zelda-w.exe is)
4a. You may run the zlaunch-w.exe, which is the application's launcher, and customize your screen resolution among other things
4b. Keep in mind that you must always start the launcher for your custom preferences to load
5. Start the game and register a new file
6. Click anywhere on the screen or press the ESC key to bring up your toolbar
7. Click the GAME tab
8. Click Load Quest and choose your QST file from the directory. Browse if necessary
9. Play the game you faggot
Oh yeah, tough guy? You think you can do better? Then create your own using the zquest-w.exe. Zelda Classic comes packaged with the basic engine so that even faggots like you can create your very own custom quest. If you want more information, then go look for it because making a good quest is beyond the scope of this thread.
If by some miracle you manage to actually get dubs, it is extremely likely that your post has not warranted said dubs and they should remain unchecked. Now fuck your shitposting and play some vidya you nigger

Other urls found in this thread:

zeldaclassic.com/viewquest.php?q=316
purezc.net/index.php?page=quests&id=139
purezc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=63875
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So it's basically a Windows exe that "just happens" to assemble user-created Zelda levels and shit with similar mechanics?

Zelda Classic is a program that was originally written to emulate the very first Zelda title for NES, but then when a tool was developed that allowed anyone to create their own custom quests using the Zelda assets, a community was born around the concept, and people have since been making, trading, and collaborating.

Sounds interesting to me.

You really should have mentioned that most quests require you to have a specific version of Zelda Classic. Quests made for older versions usually aren't compatible with newer versions, so you aren't going to be able to play everything just by getting the latest release.

In my experience, that hasn't been an issue, though I'm not about to say that you won't run into problems. Anyway, the program itself is rather small, so if it makes you feel better, or if you're actually experiencing problems, then download them all at once, keep the archived somewhere, and use the appropriate version as necessary.

Seems normal…

Holy fuck did they just recreate WINE or something?

Welp, to bump the thread and perhaps generate some interest, allow me to make a more in depth post about one of the recommendations I mention in the OP. This particular quest, titled Lost Isle, was an ambitious collaboration project by DarkFlameWolf, one of the more popular creators on ZC, and a user named Petoe. The quest was in development for two years and originally required users to acquire a specifically made and modified Zelda Classic build simply to run it. The premise is simple; Link, while traveling to an unspecified location via ship, gets stranded on a mysterious island when the aforementioned ship gets stricken and destroyed by the likes of a nasty storm. As he explores avenues of escape, he comes across the remnants of a once prosperous civilization that was torn to shreds when an ancient and powerful evil is thrust upon the world.

This is one of the first quests I have seen that incorporated character dialogue and scripted events that make an effort to present themselves as cutscenes which mean to provide bits of story as the player progresses. This, along with the excellent choice of music and the aesthetic wrought by a dark, yet colorful color palette and spiffy textures, culminate to offer up quite an atmospheric little game that leaves you hooked and itching to explore every nook and cranny the isle has tucked away.

In typical Zelda fashion, you're left to your own devices to explore and solve puzzles while destroying enemies, and this game does not disappoint in that regard. It offers up enough of a challenge that you'll think twice before making any hasty moves that could kill you and set you back a checkpoint or two, and the puzzles are well thought out and make you at least stop and do a double take before you realize what you're meant to do. It's quite refreshing as far as Zelda goes, and I'd like to think Nintendo themselves would be capable of creating a game with similar quality.

I suggest giving this one a try, as it's one of the more high quality quests available, as well as any other quests made by this author, as they're all quite good. If my words don't convince you, then maybe the author's own description will:

"Over 2 years in the making, this ambitious duo quest by DarkFlameWolf and Peteo has finally been completed. Lost Isle takes you on a journey to a deserted island where the formal inhabitants have suffered a catastrophic event and all that remains is the dead and the decaying. A sinister story unfolds the further you explore the island and evil secrets are revealed as you get closer and closer to the true evil that is conspiring against you. You will travel through ghost towns, graveyards, swamps, forests, volcanos, wastelands and canyons in your search for answers and a way off this haunted island. With one gigantic world to explore, five huge dungeons, an entire island-wide cave system, many misc. dungeons to explore, optional triforce pieces, hidden secrets and lurking ghosts; this adventure will test your very limits as an explorer. Only the true intrepid players will see the quest through and claim the much -deserved ending."

zeldaclassic.com/viewquest.php?q=316
Here's a link to the quest page where you can see screenshots and download the game for yourself.

Too bad there's no Adventure of Link Classic.

First time hearing about this. First couple of posts got me interested.

Is this kinda like SMB's lunar magic?

Yeah, you could say that. I'm not sure about just how much freedom and control the ZQuest suite allows its users, because I've never personally tried to use it before, but on a surface level you can draw the comparison between it and other level editors such as lunar magic and hyrule magic the LTTP editor. I doubt that ZQuest is that robust, however I do know that you can import custom MIDI files for background music and you can rip sprite sheets from other games and incorporate them into your NES Zelda quest, so there's some room to mess around. It's a basic level editor.

Since 2.5 Zelda Classic has it's own scripting langauge and assembly, Zasm. It's much more robust than you think. Here's some neat shit.

Obviously recommending A Hero of Dreams. purezc.net/index.php?page=quests&id=139

Fantastic game.

but why

The implications are pretty incredible. Imagine a Zelda style Arena or Daggerfall, or maybe an entire first person remake of Zelda 1. I mean, this sort of thing might make it easy to create compelling, but perhaps basic, 3D worlds for you to explore.

Why not just use an actual game engine?

That just means they're bundling all dependencies so it runs without needing them installed as shared libraries. Some libs can be pretty large, particularly UI toolkits. Krita for example uses Qt and its appimg is about 70MB.

The sound isn't working on the linux version, any ideas?

PureZC is a much better resource than the official website for quests and shit, it's also the most active community. I don't even know if they even update ZeldaClassic.com anymore.

Also, Firebird is by far the best tileset to work with. purezc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=63875

bump I'll check this out later.

Bumping this thread with some footage of Isle of the Wind's first dungeon, Taurus. This dungeon is quite simple, but features a mini boss, three treasures, and three puzzles. The puzzles are quite straightforward and hard to misinterpret, which can be seen as either a good or bad thing, but I personally feel like this is a decent and gentle introductory to the game. It's interesting that the author chose to create a map layout that is based around the image of a bull, which is an image associated with the Zodiac sign Taurus, the sign after which the dungeon is named, because it illustrates the thought process behind the development of each dungeon. It's an easy decision to take inspiration from real world religious or philosophical symbols and integrate them into your game somehow. In this case, each dungeon is created to resemble either an image of the animal that the corresponding Zodiac sign is mean to represent or the sign's symbol, which means the real world imagery actually has an effect on the game's design.

In this dungeon, you fight bats, slime, stalfos, dodongos, snakes, and wallmasters. The enemy placement sort of forces the player to be aware of how each enemy behaves, simply because each room tends to throw them at the player in large groupings. This means the player typically has little room to move around enemies and limited time to react to each enemy's behavior. Stalfos are not aggressive but will occupy space and move around in a seemingly random pattern. Snakes will do the same, but are aggressive and will lunge at the player from a long distance if the player moves into a square that is directly across from them. Bats fly around the area and occasionally land out of reach, and wallmasters will only ever appear when Link is near the wall they're patrolling. Snakes and bats die in one hit with the basic sword, while wallmasters and stalfos take two hits to dispatch. Each enemy damages Link for half a heart. The wallmasters can remove Link from the current room and place him at the entrance of the dungeon. Stalfos, and most other enemies that require more than one hit to defeat, can be staggered by a direct hit from the sword, but they have a brief invulnerability period during which you cannot stagger them away from you.

The combat is very simplistic, but it's all about managing enemy types in groupings, and I think this dungeon illustrates that quite well.

If I had to criticize one thing about the dungeon, it'd be the lack of a proper way to replenish bombs from within. The dungeon requires a total of 12 bombs in order to complete. The very first room has a weak wall that leads to another weak wall that leads to a small cliff where a treasure chest holding a key is located. The room with the map requires that you destroy a wall leading to the chest containing the map, and the very next room contains a wall that leads to a transitional room that leads to yet another room with a weak block that must be destroy in order to get to the treasure box that holds the arrow. The mini boss, the dodongo, each require two bombs in order to be defeated. There is a room that houses another weak block and a weak wall that must be blasted to gain access to the ocarina and the boss chamber respectively, and there is another, final weak wall that must be destroyed to acquire a key that allows access to the boss chamber key.

Link's next door neighbor will provide him with 4 free bombs from the outset, and you can acquire two sets of 4 bombs from within the dungeon at specific locations, but that leaves you with a very small margin of error. You need at least 11 bombs, but Link can only carry 8 at any given time, and if you misplace one, then you're shit out of luck and must backtrack outside of the dungeon and acquire one set of 4 from the shop. Each set of 4 costs 35 rupees, which means you'll likely have to spend time killing enemies so that you can acquire extra cash to spend. This could have been circumvented by allowing the player to acquire extra bombs via drops from monsters that exist in a specific room that can only be accessed after the initial bomb supplies have been acquired. In this way, the player may still have to grind, but at the very least, he won't have to waste time navigating through the dungeon, make his way back to the entrance, and leave, just so he can get more bombs. This also circumvents the amount of time spend grinding, because this solution would remove the necessity of cash from the equation, which means you won't have to kill as many monsters before you get an appropriate drop.

Even so, I like that the author intended for players to manage their inventory wisely, and it's great that you're expected to think for yourself and pay for your mistakes.

what i need is zeldas royal cunt on my face