Roguelike Thread: Slav edition

Whaddya playan?

Other urls found in this thread:

nethackwiki.com/wiki/MS-DOS#Today
github.com/tmhedberg/dcss-ehe
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bump with my new hobo start

Last bump for roguelike thread

Does any of you have the recipe for the washboard? The item database still doesn't have it. How often does it updates by the way? It says nightly but that doesn't seem to be true.

Needing a washboard to clean clothes sounds like bullshit some detached lazy city dweller would come up with. Using knuckles works just fine.

I completely agree. I heard that the devs are planning on changing how washing clothes works though, so let's hope they'll come up with something less retarded.

Started playing Caves of Qud

Playing a high ego esper build where I kill shit through crazy mental mutations. Holy fuck do I enjoy this game

Anyone got a torrent for cogmind? It looks good.

There's one on kat.cr for the alpha3. Says it has only one seeder though, but that could be wrong. Even then the game seems quite small so it shouldn't be a big problem.

Might wanna check there.

Sil. I really like the way the AI behaves in this game. Archers keep their distance, and warriors wait for an opportunity to surround you. And both will flee when you're winning decisively.
As someone who's played shit roguelikes like TOME4 and Dungeon Crawl for years, this is brilliant to me.

My only problem is I'm starved all the time. I haven't found food a single time despite going through 60 characters already. Where the fuck is the food?

So apparently the petrified eye pedestal in the mines is bugged. It's supposed to start the fun event as soon as you pick up the eye, but it only starts the fun event if you look at the pedestal again after you already have the eye.

Also the event isn't actually fun.

What does the morale in the game affect, exactly? I was looking into playing this game at some point, but I really, really hate being restricted against killing and eating people in survival games. I'd hate to waste a point towards getting the psychopath trait, but is it worth it?

Mostly it has affects on skill gain and crafting. If you have low morale, you lose focus, which means you learn skills through practice slower. If you have high morale, you gain focus, which means you learn skills through practice faster. At very high or low morale values, you also get small speed and stat effects; at -400 or so morale, I'm suffering -10% speed, -1 str, -1 dex, -3 int, -3 per. The biggest thing to watch out for is that at -50 total morale, your character is too depressed to craft anything, and that can cripple you earlygame. IIRC killing a non-hostile NPC is a -100 morale effect unless you have certain traits like cannibal or psychopath. Psychopath removes that effect entirely, and cannibal reduces it to -10 or so.

If you're playing with NPCs turned on, I would highly recommend starting with at least one of those two traits. NPCs have a tendency to steal literally all of your stuff if you're not very careful about restricting their sightlines, and the only way to get it back is to murder them or buy it from them.

Food is all over the place so it's not really worth wasting points on it.

morale penalties were never a major problem for me. mp3 players, handheld consoles and most books give you a good morale boost, and are fairly common. I've never been in a situation where eating human flesh was necessary or desirable, so the cannibalistic trait is only good if you want to roleplay.

FOR WHAT PURPOSE

Jesus fuck, my adventurer in DF just went through a crazy ass first fight.
Eb, you were one tough ass goblin and a worthy opponent.

ya fucked up

To wash clothes you need
The last one is stupidly bullshit considering I have a sealed stomach of clean water and I sleep next to an aluminum drum of water.
It's even more stupid crafting clean clothes from rags salvaged from dirty clothing.
It's also stupid being able to cook perfectly edible meat jerky from rotten meat.
It's pretty stupid that you can start a fire with a single unit of thread or tinder. Or dousing a fire immediately by pouring a single unit of a non-flammable liquid, yet you need several units of water to accomplish the same result.
But this is CDDA, shit like this has always been par for the course.

What's with all these lemmings?

Fiddling with Cata's vehicle mechanics makes me want for a proper driving centered roguelike, maybe in Mad Max vein. Though the mechanics would propably stretch beyond the proper definition of the genre.

Redundancy :^)

Cheeky

God, I suck dicks.
I can't ger past the first day.
But I'm still trying and it's fun.

Any help would be appreciated. Especially town related.

Feels like I'm cheating, but fuck zombies.

Is there any point in trying to clear them, or should I just set them on fire and get out?

Playing with static, dynamic and/or wander spawns?

Generally early on you want to try not to get a lot of attention on yourself. So scout from a distance where few zombies are and be sneaky.
You can even go to a different part of town to burn down a building which produces lots of noise and will attract the hordes there, making the rest of the town relatively safer. Or go down the road and turn on a car and leave the motor running. Of course you'd need a working car for that, best possibility is probably a car with no wheels. They sometimes still have gas and a working motor but since you don't want it to go anywhere, no wheels is fine. The motor noise (if it's a big engine) should also attract Zs.

Some people advise to just go looting at night, but you'll probably need the nightvision perk for that. Personally, I don't roll that way and I'm usually fine once I get things rolling in the first days. You'll need a basic weapon (preferably a spear-type weapon since it can make "ranged" attacks from 2 tiles away, making you safer when dealing with a Z) and if you have to fight a zombie, try to get it stuck on a bush or window frame or somewhere. This makes them move much slower and gives you many more opportunities to get hits in. Don'T forget to keep yourself mostly encumbrance-free if you expect to get into a fight.

Always pay attention that you'll have an easy escape route, don't get trapped in a room with just one door by a zombie. You might think it's just one, but things can turn sour, especially if the fighting noise lures more in.

Craft a makeshift crowbar and some lockpicks as soon as you can. If you want to get into a locked house, lockpicks are the way to go. It'll slightly raise your mechanic skill and early on you'll fail often, but it's the silent alternative to smashing a window open or trying your luck with the crowbar. If it triggers an alarm just get the fuck out of dodge. Crowbars are a good inbetween. They're usually easier to open doors and windows (reliant on STR I think) but you risk breaking the window or breaking the door lock.

If you're just starting out, anything more than a regular Z (including fat, decayed and simple versions like that) is going to be quite dangerous. This includes especially child zombies.
Don't forget you can just mark locations on the map and come back later. No need to get every little bit of loot in a place in one go if it means danger.
Shopping carts (found at grocery stores and some others) and bikes / motorbikes are your friend as they can carry a decent amount of items, giving you a chance to stay lightweight or give you extra capacity for a bigger haul.

Last point for later on: You can get rubber hoses from fridges (smash or deconstruct) and use them to siphon gas liquids (gas) from cars but you'll need a container like a gallon jug.

Basements rarely have good loot unless it's the /k/ basement, but I've never seen that one with spiders before. You'll probably be alright to just light their asses on fire.

Never attack one of their larvae

That was a lot longer than I thought

thanks you for the advice

While I'm on it, can someone suggest me a good texture pack?

Fug

Anyone got suggestions for a new character? Not into mutants or cyborgs though.

A Neckbeard

Like this? (It's missing the ugly trait)

yes

Things aren't starting out too well

There's no point in cheating in games where avoiding failure for as long as you can is the main point.

I know, I was just annoyed because going near the wolves was such a stupid mistake.
And in the end I just killed the character anyway because I lost all interest after cheating

And game over. Guess I need to git gud

Playing Baroque and Shiren The Wanderer 3

I generally find that console roguelikes are much more "pure" in their experience with focus on exploring rather than NPC interaction and story but the third Shiren game is complete opposite whereas Baroque is pretty much what I expected.

what texture?

Chesthole, I think. Comes standard with the launcher

I hear that.

Try changing the settings to allow for 100 trait points or whatever. At first you're like yeah, this makes sense. But then you get a bit into the game and it sucks. Spoils the struggle, and struggle is the main point of this sort of game.

Look through the professions and make a character that caters to one of them.

An asthmatic, near sighted but quick learner student.

An illiterate, but strong and quick lumberjack with basic survival and construction skills.

A tailor with absolutely no combat skills but can make sweet armor and such.

The list goes on.

The beginning where you try to deal with the situation with limited tools you have is the most fun of the game. I hate the skill decay mechanic, but without it a character quickly becomes way too competent, especially if you luck out with your mid-game power ups (bionics, mutations, crafting books, vehicle parts).

HOY
What roguelike works well on a laptop without a numeric keypad?
HOY

Good idea, thanks. Still on my second try with the neckbeard. Turns out spending your life in front of a computer screen doesn't prepare you for the apocalypse

I don't like skill decay and play with it off. I don't want to constantly grind skills.

Never used bionics or mutations before and haven't been really lucky with my vehicle parts, but the game can get quite easy soon, you're right.

I just turn off skill decay. Call me a casual, but if I was in a zombie apocalypse I wouldn't forget how to sew a good helmet or repair an engine because I slept in.

Good luck with that, user. You can buy USB numpads, by the way.

Yeah, I don't have skill decay on either, but it's pretty ridiculous my forest hippy can do expert welding or computer hacking because he read some book seasons ago. A glorious death is way more fun than prolonged boring existance in my opinion.

I get what you're saying and it's a good case for delayed skill decay. But for most players, they're living in the city or near it and using these skills.

A lowgrade version of skill decay would make sense, but the normal one is just too much.

Stopping the decay from lowering the overall level instead of just the percentage and separating skill gained theoretically from books and practically from practice so practical know-how wouldn't decay would go a long way making the decay system make sense. I feel the book learning is way too efficient, but has its place alleviating the need for grinding.

just use an alternative button config for movement

also Don't play with Abandoned Pizzerias

Some facts that may help:

what game is this?

Cataclysm:Dark Days Ahead.

Hold on are crimson heads a thing in Cataclysm? I'm slowly working my way through a hospital hoping to find some first aid kits, and I've just been killing zombies without butchering them. Am I gonna have to deal with those zombies on my way back out if I take too long?

Yes, unless you deactivated the option (zombie revivication), they'll get back up eventually unless you smash them or they got so damaged that you don't need to smash them anymore

Should take a while, though not sure how long exactly.

Fug, thanks for the heads up.

Does any of you play with wander spawns? How the hell is it even possible to survive with that on? I really want to like it but I can't manage to survive more than a few hours. What I'm saying is that I need tips.

Thanks, I've been looking for that answer for days.

They spawn in large amounts in swamps.

Personally my favorites are retrodays and hitbutton. Hitbutton is isometric though, so it might be a bit confusing if you're new.

For Wanderspawn, you pretty much just have to live in the middle of the woods or you're fucked.

fuck, now I have another problem in CDDA.

When you wield a slingshot and you throw a pebble, do you actually use the slingshot at all or are you just throwing it with the hand?

I think you wield the slingshot and then fire it like you would a gun

LMAO NERDS

Fuck me sideways. Well, at least I leveled up in throwing. That's cool, I guess.

Yeah, been doing well on one character, and started doing well on a second (before the wolves got me)

What I did was get out of town as soon as possible (if you spawned there), skirt around the edges of the town, looking for places that you can enter where no hordes are nearby or you'll be unseen. Get some basic supplies, then find a place some distance away from the town, bring all your stuff there, and use it as a base. Try finding a vehicle along the way, all the while making short, low-risk in-n-out runs into the outskirts of town. Amass enough loot and skills until you can finally fight off small groups of Zs or until you've got a vehicle that can run them over.

It might be necessary to choose a different town or switch between towns now and then if the hordes get too bad.
Tiny 2-4 house-hamlets can also be good targets.

In general: Just be real sneaky and don't take many risks. If you've got a base you'll probably have to regularly board it up because of wandering zombies just smashing your boards for shits n giggles. Might want to dig a trench or build a metal wall if you've got the time and resources at that point.

This, basically. You might get away with a house on the very outskirts (better live in the basement) if it's on a seperate street or something.

Have you tried pressing "f" to fire the weapon? Or "F" to switch attackmode

Why does it seem like Stamina is such a pain in the ass to manage now, whereas months ago I remember it being just for running? I run out of stamina constantly without knowing why.

yep, I did. Minutes after the first answer. I feel kind of silly, but hopefully I'm learning little by little. I think I will survive longer, even if it's for the little details.

You use stamina for smashing or butchering corpses, melee attacks, and moving while over your max carry weight. Try to keep your arm/mouth encumbrance low and only smash once you're sure everything is dead.

On that note, if anyone wants to add some more RP/challenge, play zombie revivication without smashing or butchering corpses. That just leaves burning as your method of disposal, forcing you to make pyres of bodies with their clothes as fuel to conserve lighter/matches and hoping you don't get rained on. Only then can you butcher the crispy remains.

To double the challenge, force yourself to always use a two stick/plank/clothes fuel equivalent and paper/wood scrap/rag firestarter when making fires

Does anyone else start with 2 in every skill? I just don't see the appeal of spending the first day grinding until I can make basic equipment.
Does IntCap do what I think it does and only degrade skills above your Int?

I've been doing decently after figuring out that with some basic leather armor, a good weapon like a fireaxe, and a chokepoint I can kill an almost infinite number of basic zombies, but I haven't yet learned to watch out for leg injuries and flee immediately if I slow down too much. So my last few runs have been doing great right until I decide to walk home and notice the zombies are moving twice as fast as me even when sprinting.

Btw, is anyone else consistently spawning in the same location for every character? I'm going to start regening worlds after death if this keeps up.

Once I had like 3-4 out of 5-6 characters spawn in the same shelter.
I guess sometimes it just happens, especially if you choose a "rare" location like shelters or milsurp stores or something.

IntCap is a combination of int-based skill rust and capped skill rust. High int reduces the amount of rust, and skills rust to the previous level, only lose their progress to the next level.

I just regen the world every time I die. It's irritating starting in an evac shelter that's already had all the curtains torn down and all the lockers already smashed for pipes.

Ok, so, let me get this straight, because this shit is complicated…

Encumberment is the value on which affects your combat, and speed movement, depending on how you dress.

You can place different kinds of layers in the same part of your body, but when you wear 2 of the same layer, it encumbers you

The total amount of your body is affected by both the value of the clothing you're wearing on (x) and the number of clothing in the same layer (y).

x+y= total encumberment of the respective body part.

So, that's why in the character creation they give one point when going clown?

Did I miss something important?

I like to go clown.

That's correct. You can use tab and the arrow keys on the stats screen to see the exact penalties you're taking from encumbrance.
You get one point when going clown because you start with nothing useful and terrible clothes.

Tell me more about going clown.

I like to go clown on u're mum :^)

There's somethign I don't understand, though.

One example: I'm wearing only a pair of sunglasses. 0 encumbrance. But for some reason the formula shows that I have 3 engumbrance

0+3=3 (0)

Why? What exactly am I missing here?

Another example with feet:

wearing a pair of socks (0 encumbrance)(close to skin) and a pair of steeltoed boots (1 encumbrance)(normal layer)

1+3=4 (-3)

I don't understand…

Can you give some screenshots? Did you also check out the layering menu on "+"?

h-here I go

Maybe the cargo pants count (partially) for the feet as well?
Or do you happen to have any mutations?
After you put on the clothes, did you try moving a square or wait a turn? Sometimes changes aren't shown until a turn passes.

Try taking off everything except boots and socks.

Also you've got the socks over your boots. Try swapping it.

Which skill rust setting is the most forgiving? I'm thinking of re-enabling it but I don't want to play as someone with Alzheimer.

Thanks for the tips. Somehow I've managed to take over an entire village (about 9-10 buildings) without spawning a horde despite a few broken windows, and now I found a plate armor and an awl pike. This might be the first time I actually survive more than a day or two with wander spawn on.

What tileset is that?

Nope, the cargo pants don't count. I checked
I don't have any current mutations.
I moved, but the stats keep being the same.
Finally, I swapped my pair of socks to innermost. It doesn't change much. It only moves numbers, but doesn't reduce it.

Maybe I'll try being naked with only boots and socks but wew lad, why are you asking this on the Internets. Zombies could be watching

Man I'm jelly.

Keep in mind with a size of that mansion it's likely that Zs will spawn inside the mansion (for example if you're near it or even on one side and they spawn on the other end of it)

That's right. Now dance.

Can't think of any other reason why it's like that.

FUKKEN
JACKPOT

nevermind

IntCap is the most forgiving.

You've got +3 encumbrance on literally everything but your head. Do you have a Wire-Induced Stiffness malfunctioning bionic?

Nope.

Show us your @ screen. Maybe you're frozen to death or covered in glue.

Is it also there if you are completely naked?
What version of the game?

I just tried to check, but my version is 2 months old and looks different, but even with some clothes on I don't get the same encumberment. Even when I'm wearing two blankets and socks I don't get the same +3 on the feet.

Also this. Maybe there's some status or trait that would explain it

I did see a Z or two inside on the map when approaching, but since it's the middle of the night I'll probably be able to escape before I'm spotted if something dangerous appears.

Is the nail rifle any good? I never bothered to upgrade.

alright, I'll try that later.

it looks like the stable version, which is something like a year old, maybe it's a bug?

Is there any tileset which doesn't make it impossible to see zombie in the dark? A gray 'Z' is easy to tell apart from a gray '.', but a gray zombie shaped blob looks the same as a gray floor shaped blob.
I'm having to use the minimap instead of the main screen because at least enemies flash down there.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how fucked is this village? Last time I encountered one of those, they seemed to be able to convert forests and would spread like wildfire.

Retrodays or Hitbutton iso are my two favorites ones, they're both simplistic and things are distinctive enough that I don't have the problem you described.

Retrodays is the one with the problem. Iuse the 10px one so I can see the whole map, but without colors it becomes unreadable. Maybe I'll switch to a larger size and use the minimap more.

Nevermind, I died.

So that's your problem. The 10px one is way too small for me. I take 20px usually.

completely and utterly fucked

Its not terribly better than the nail gun, but it will give you rifle instead of handgun experience. Skill with handguns doesn't matter much if you are shooting at 2 or 3 squares, but the difference with rifles at any range is like night and day

So what does filthy clothing actually do if you put it on? I guess it makes you more propense to catch sickness or something? I noticed there's a drawback that forbids you wearing it too, I should have picked it.

Your morale dunks for every piece of filthy clothing

I hate the default tileset I have installed right now, since it doesn't have textures for carpet or linoleum tiles. I tried a tileset editor but it doesn't work.

How do I change a tileset?

wat do

I'm surviving with Wander Spawns, Fast Zombies, and a custom toughness mod that boosts zombie health by 25%. It's very possible, but I wouldn't recommend it. Wander spawns does this fucked up shit where it can spawn groups of the same zombie at a time. This wouldn't be bad if it didn't almost always spawn hightier zombies, so you might be walking around doing your thing when 8 shocker brutes spawn nearby and you're instantly put on the death screen.

Because encumbrance is broken as shit and is getting revamped in the next stable release iirc. Everything encumbers you way too much and even wearing a t-shirt and jeans can drop your dodge skill by several points. There's also wonky shit that happens when you get even 1 point of encumbrance. Seriously, try it. You can fight just fine with (0) Torso encumbrance, but then put two backpacks on and get (1) Torso encumbrance. Suddenly you move like you have gummy worms for limbs and keep falling over and missing targets over and over again while getting your ass devoured and killed by a single child zombie. Encumbrance is way too punishing to the point that it's not even remotely realistic or fair.

New world and new game my friend. Even with lategame equipment a single shocker brute can kill you pretty easily. You could MAYBE make it out of there and run from the others, but the shocker brute will kill you 10 times out of 10 unless he gets glitched.

Speaking of which the shocker brute's the only thing I hate about Chesthole's tile set. The other zombies look fine, but the shocker brute looks like a fucking anime vampire when it's supposed to look like the Hulk with electricity surging from him. Why Chezzo gave him a cape, trenchcoat, and emo hair I'll never know.

I ended up spawning in the exact same place like 3 or 4 times in a row, which lead to there being a small group of NPCs in the area, so I said fuck it and made a new world.

With the northern part of town being spawned in a forest, this might make the start a bit easier, since I can get in those houses and lose any zombies in the forest.

I just now noticed the fungal bloom in the top-left. How screwed am I, if I stay in this town?

depends on if you have a gasmask, then it might become somewhat easy since fungaloids are non-hostile by default
totally fucked otherwise

Well, after I saw the first group of fungal Zs I just got the fuck outta dodge. Managed to find one of those weird solar cars, then a shelter and a different town.

All being careful n shit, getting closer to the town and accidentally bump into a bloodthirsty moose. Fuck. Managed to run into a house, then a different room and closed the door behind me. It should currently be fighting a Z brute or be already dead. This almost ended in tears.

Not at my machine right now, but how do I use meta keys for extended commands in text builds of SLASH'EM on *N*X? I'm using Linux Mint, with two 108-key keyboards (ADB via USB converter normally, generic PS/2 for incompatible stuff like BIOS).

I've tried using different terminal programs, exiting X, reconfiguring all the terminals, reconfiguring SLASH'EM, fiddling with every setting in anything I can find for 8-bit input and escape characters, but absolutely nothing works.

nethackwiki.com/wiki/MS-DOS#Today

Apply fire and violence until it stops being a problem.

Anyone play Caves of Qud?
It's an early access game, but it looks pretty neat and the devs seem to be updating fairly regularly.

it was better when it was free

in sword of the stars: the pit, they released a new character medic, how is it?

Please don't fucking kill me Mr.Moose

Please don't fucking kill me Mr. Moose.
I really need those skill books

Please dont fucking kill me Mr. Moose.

I think I'm finally getting somewhere, I've got good armor, a duffel bag, tools, and gallon jugs. The only problem is that I'm in the middle of nowhere and ran out of lighter fluid. I'm surrounded by gasoline and wood, but have no way to light fires. What do I do?

step it up, summer child

slingshots train throwing for some reason.

Please re-order your clothing, it's all wrong, you got everything sorted backwards.

Camp Fire Drill or Fire Drill would work.
Only difference is the Camp one has more charges, I think. It might light fires faster too, but I'm not sure.

I'm pretty sure slings train throwing, slingshots train archery.

Enjoy your ruined clothing, you silly billy.

sheeeeeeit

It took an in-game year of cooking mutagen and scavenging grocery stores for rotten bird eggs, and an entire slime pit worth of blob globs, but I'm finally Prime.

Now, I can move on to the next stage of the game: realizing I have nothing else to do and might as well kill myself.

What's the Prime trait do?

Post-threshold Alpha designation mutation. It just unlocks the Prime mutations, which set all your base stats to 15, and the Very Little Sleep mutation.

have you done all in game shit like caves and stuff?

Haven't done caves. Is there anything special in them? I'm currently looking for a mine that has a Fault; I dreamed of closing one when I last slept, so I might as well do that.

I did the same with Elf-Alpha, took about the same effort as normal Alpha because needing constantly reset my progress with purifiers (High Metabolism, Radioactive and Weakening you say? Sing me in!)

After that I stopped playing quite soon. If I could spent day whacking blob for blob glob and the night cooking mutagens, the survival aspect was pretty insignificant.

Please dont fucking kill me Mr. Moose.

YES

Is there a "best" version of Stone Soup or should I just play the latest update?

WEEABOO ALERT

there was an unfucked older fork with all the races intact but fuck me if I remember what its version number was

You can also can hammer scrap metal for 2 minutes, wrap it in duct tape and make a Phillips screwdriver.

Version 15, I think.

The last version before they started stripping stuff out was 0.9 (a good thing, since 0.8 was the last version to use skillpoint dancing), the most blatant example being the removal of dorfs over butthurt from an influx of Bay12 forumites on DCSS's forums.

That's Extra Hearty Edition, a custom build of newer versions that throws back in most of the stuff stripped from previous versions. Sadly, it stopped at 0.14, and has no binaries, so you have to custom compile it to play (and I vaguely recall at least a couple small bugs when I did it).

It's a shame somebody hasn't made a serious fork of DCSS.

The last version before they started stripping stuff out was 0.9 (a good thing, since 0.8 was the last version to use skillpoint dancing), the most blatant example being the removal of dorfs over butthurt from an influx of Bay12 forumites on DCSS's forums.

That's Extra Hearty Edition, a custom build of newer versions that adds back most of the stuff stripped from previous versions. Sadly, it stopped at 0.14, and has no binaries, so you have to custom compile it to play (and I vaguely recall at least a couple small bugs when I did it).

It's a shame somebody hasn't made a serious fork of DCSS.

Live

Well, I did it. Turns out Amigara horrors ain't shit if you've got 17 base int, some Adderall, Hydraulic Muscles and a Flashbang Generator. Halfway through killing them all I realized I wasn't even wielding a weapon or using a martial art.

You mean you couldn't make a thin, flat edge out of a piece of metal and wrap it in duct-tape for a grip?

Nobody said it was a GOOD screwdriver.

Caves of Qud.

God I'm bad at this.

I made a flathead screwdriver in highschool, with a forged steel blade and a handle turned and knurled on a lathe. This is different.

Duct tape is magic in Cata. But a determined enough fellow can turn a cross holed screw with a flat screwdriver, so it's a matter of overly specific description here.

It was also dead when it was free.

I followed it for years. Outside of EA it had almost no updates, as soon as it hit the steam platform it actually began to expand and grow. It was, for a time, literally listed as dead on roguebasin. I understand the desire for the game to be free and for it to not be on Steam, but it has literally gained more content and more development in one year there than three outside it.

Does anyone get a crippling sense of despair after surviving several weeks in DDA?

There's no ending and even if you survive you'll never find another human bean, just more fucking enemies.

If you played with NPCs on, you'd be glad only thing you meet are zombies.

So the NPCs are still murderhobos then?

Or just plain retarded/annoying.

Well, if they're your followers you can give them some basic behaviour commands

;_;

R-right in the feels.

Any places where the welding tanks are guaranteed to be found? And what is other option for getting through metal doors?

I've been playing for forever and I've never found a welding tank. I don't know if they actually exist. If you have a sledgehammer, or just build a homewrecker, you can bash through the reinforced glass next to the door and hack the computer to open the doors. Or you could get a jackhammer and bust down the concrete wall next to the doors.

welding tanks are found in garages m8

also you´re better off just grindan until you can make a makeshift welder

Best option is to get a vehicle mountable welder and mount that on a bicycle or a shopping cart with some solar panels.

For a welder that is. Doesn't help much if you need a torch down in a lab.

What the hell do I do about Hulks? They're always right in the middle of all the shit I want to loot, and they're too fast to both lure away and escape. As for killing them, so far I haven't found anything that works which isn't guarded by more Hulks.

Am I supposed to just run awya on sight and abandon a five-block zone around them forever?

Kite them into a burning building.

I finally got my zombie cannibal up off the ground. It's really… amazing.

OH!!!
I SEE HOW IT FUCKING IS!!!

luckily I had the game saved so I could go back. Still, why would anyone want to boobytrap the table?

on another note, which is the fastest way to learn? Reading, or learning through experience? I don't have a book of mechanics, but I have enough tools and level to dissassemble some car parts like frames.

And is there a way from forgetting skills? my archery went down from 1 to 0

Disable skillrust in the worldgen settings.

Not sure what's faster, but reading is definitely the least hassle since you don't have to press a lot of buttons.

You can turn off skill rust in the option menu (or set it to a different variant) but I'm not sure if you'd need to gen a new world for it to take effect.

I love DCSS but I can never get past the Lair for some reason. Always get cocky and fuck something up.

When I was younger I wanted to grow up to be like that merchant from RE4
Fuck I still kinda do

Don't let your dreams be dreams.

Life is suffering

My dream is to also look cool while wearing a outfit like that, but the look's ruined by fucking fedorafags
Dealing guns isn't very fun if you can't dress the way you want

bump

I'm sure Holla Forums is pretty drained from it, but I still enjoy Nethack.

To wash clothes you need

Why do these niggers rather add tedious bullshit than features.

Slash'em is neat, too. Anyone heard anything about the new "Nethack 4" fork?

Bumo

How do I mod item_group spawnrates in Cata DDA?

Final bump

Twice in a row a guy has boobytrapped the toilet with a landmine. As if drinking from it wasn't bad enough already. There's a CBM that stops skill rust at the cost of a minor amount of power if you don't want to disable it entirely.