MUD thread

Alright niggers, any there any fun online MUDs still around? Anyone playing any?

Other urls found in this thread:

spacestation14.com/)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Was playing some Hellmoo earlier. Too bad the playerbase is the most stagnant to ever exist.

What was the difference between hatemoo and hellmoo? I used to play hatemoo for the orphanage but the server shut down.

I coded on a mud in 1995 that was insanely popular. Glorious times those were.

Hellmoo is the original, and is the "prequel" to HATEmoo

HATEmoo is "Hell: After The End moo"

Hellmoo is taken pretty seriously, but HATEmoo you can fuck around in more.

hatemoo has like 10 players online at any given time and seriously terrible admins.

hellmoo had 100-ish when I checked a few weeks ago, but they have implemented a somewhat fucked up pvp system. basically, if you attack someone outside a red zone(game is divided between green, yellow and red, most of the game is yellow) you issue a challenge, and their entire corp is free to attack you and pick your door while you're logged out.

Hatemoo is the ded one.

I thought HATE closed down some years ago. I think the only active ones are Hell and Inferno.

would Meridian 59 be included?

yeah, my bad, i mixed up inferno and HATE. HATE is closed down, inferno is still up with the aforementioned nonexistent playerbase.

Hellmoo any fun to play, or not worth attempting?

It's like any online game, it's only fun with friends. It would be worthwhile to play if there was a Holla Forums corp, but it would require several players that know what they're doing. There's at least a few hours worth of gameplay just for looking around though, lots of late 90s memes lying around.

The problem with it is that it scares off any new players. Most people assume that a "new" player is some oldfag with a new username, at least that's what I got from it.

its fun. definitely not like it used to be which is why there was 3 different versions of it because the head admin freaked out and took his ball home one day and released an old version of the source code. then he calmed down and started the game up again with people calling it carebearmoo because the pvp changed from no rules to "u need my permission to fight me guyz" there was lots of tears and laughter and drama but i miss the old days and cant bring myself to play it again. i miss being able to walk into the main city's bar and murdering people. can still do that in inferno but lolnoplayers

Might consider trying it then just to see how it plays. Having Holla Forums fags around would make it much more appealing to stick to, should it prove a fucker to get into at first.

Wew.

I wonder if one thing is related to the other…
Because if there's one thing I remenber about HellMOO is that you couldn't just do your thing, some fag was bored and had nothing to and decided to fuck with the first person he found which ended up being you, because everyone else was already at his level.

I honestly don't get the heavy focus on PvP when there's no official competition or anything to be gained from it. Most of the people you'll kill have worse loot than you have and money is piss easy to get so not even selling their crap is worth it.
The best thing you can get is "le ebin salt XD" but that just means "I have fun frustrating other players from the game but I don't understand why are the servers dead?"

I'm sure a lot of drama and special snowflakes certainly do more damage to the server than this shit but I honestly wouldn't mind an offline version of the game just so I could at least explore the world without being interrupted by tryhard "hardcore gamerz".

Was there ever a release of the game code in it's entirety like our Lord and Saviour Stallman commands?

there was but it was an old version of the game that still had a lot of major bugs that had been fixed over the years

the best salt came from when they added the headbutt mutation. no longer were autists who grinded 24/7 safe, just wear 3 rusted pots on your head and then headbutt any faggot who looks at you wrong and then rob them.

Has anyone played that discworld one?

Hellmoo came close but failed because there's nothing to do when you get 200k exp besides scaring people who are grinding to get to 200k exp. If Gilmore got off his ass and made player built areas a thing, giving players worthwhile text to have in exchange for the worthless numbers they have, and made raiding them a thing, coupled with players who can't be there at all times buying NPCs to protect their places, it would have been alot like Ultima. And there's not much PVE to bore yourself with.

Also focus should have been a stat.

As I understand, there have been several dumps/leaks/releases of hellcore. The latest resulted in Inferno, and was from 2014 or so.

I remenber finding a version of the code in some wiki but it seemed to just be the basic engine. You'd still have to code in all the items and areas and NPCs yourself.
Shame. I'd hope someone else would host it by now…

I remenber a MUD (unfortunnely had a cashop and was subscription based) featuring an overworld map that was pretty great and players had roles in them.
There were Druids in charge of preserving the forests because some players could roll a Chaos guy that burned down whole tiles while battling and Druids would have to restore the forest. There was some other shit and interaction between classes like that and it was pretty great.

Wish HellMOO had something like this. Factories and Resource Gathering spots that your Corp could own to mass produce the equipment in the world (most likely not the best kind of gear) but they'd be spots other Corps could attack and PvP could be centered around those, securing resources and supply lines.

Most MUDs have as a big advantage over 3D games the amount of detail the simulation of each character and the entire world can have. Burning down a whole town in a visual game is quite hard to do code-wise but in MUDs it's changing the description of the area and setting a few tags true.
Why don't more MUDs take advantage of this shit?

No money in it. Game devs these days aren't interested in MUDs. You get autists who don't understand their playerbase instead.

Tapestries

Well, there's SS13, a BYOND game that's maintained by it's fans. They often have the code Open Source in some Github repository and a lot of people adding features to it.

If someone were to place the code there and ask for help, I'm sure it would be possible to host a server and have people working on it.
Holla Forums is nothing but autists anyway.

I was just thinking about getting back into MUDs, maybe it's all the dorf fort I've had this summer.
I remember really getting into aardwolf in high school. It nailed the d&d style perfectly, and you could enjoy most of the game single player. The people that frequented were cliqued in their own irc bubble though, and couldn't be bothered.

If only it was in anything other than BYOND.

That's what the SS14 (fork of the older goon-made SS13 remake) was supposed to be, but the development has gotten much slower now.
(spacestation14.com/)

MUDs seem fun until you discover how they are colossal circlejerks centered around their admins.

A good MUD is a true rarity.

Only problem with the game is the tiny playerbase and very infrequent updates (since the owner became a family man and doesn't have much time to code anymore)

It's a bit harder than that. MUDs have a smaller community and they benefit greatly from having a close and tight one.
However, this often leads to community inbreeding and slow death, but everytime new players enter the server they don't recognize the small established community there.

Admins often see a lot of people with only a few staying, it's natural they trust those more and treat them as friends.
However this leads to circlejerking so easily it's not even funny…

MUDs really need a place with a fair amount of players so inbreeding doesn't really happen but also a thigh community to keep it alive without drama.
That's why I was saying that a MUD made in a chan might actually have a chance.

>kept getting literally raped every time I set foot outside of town

if any of you broke into a totally banging apartment with two motorcycles in it, fifteen signed records on the walls and a wallpaper mural of a bitchin' wizard flying an F-16 through space, you're welcome

Despite what this carebear faggot says, the "pointless" griefing of hatemoo in its prime was some of the most fun I've ever had in any video game. The constant kill or be killed attitude that game engendered in the player was some thrilling shit, and made for absolutely memorable and unexpected moments.

Fun times. You just can't do things like that on carebear moo, and it's all the worse for it.

I use to play these things. I was a werewolf named Heather who wore Ruff Ryder armor. My friend has had the same character going for like 20 years now.

Damn I loved HellMOO back in the days. My first day was literally like this:

Sweet memories, tbh. No other game will ever give me that feeling.

Maybe you like being fucked, and I ain't judging you here, but most people don't.
Someone joins the game, is trying to figure how this particular MUD works and is killed over and over again. You really think he's gonna stick around? Someone has fun making sure the game isn't fun for newbies and you expect the newbies to stay and join the community?

Or even a better question… What kind of people do you really think are actually gonna endure that shit and stay around? The most sadistic socipathic autistic faggots around. Ones that don't really care about any of that shit because they know pretty soon it's gonna be them doing to someone else.
Too bad these are also the faggots that cause more drama.

Tell me again which MUD is dead? Because there's literally nothing "worse" for a game than having no players at all.

My first day was spent grinding a bit in the orphanage with my brother.
Then Bonghitz showed up (and I didn't even knew who he\she was at the time).
Asks us if we want to be in it's Corp. We agree because maybe it can teach us a bit of the game.
It infects us both with ebola or some other disease somehow, says it's a thing it does to all new employees.
We die shortly after, go back to get our shit.
It says it kept everything safe for us. Except the chalk, it likes to collect chalk.

Later on came to find out all the shenanigans bonghitz pulled in multiple servers. Pretty funny guy\girl.

Sounds pretty wonderful user.

You need a pretty large playerbase for that to work, and you'd need a pretty large playerbase to even attract that very specific breed of autist who'd get into it.

So you learnt to be an inconvenient and boring target. Doing that granted you some leeway to figure out if there's any way to fuck the dominant party over with little expense to yourself, and that made for some motivation.

Most of the shenanigans were very rarely completely without reason, and as long as the flux of scrubs was modest and there was some conflict between larger corps, there was almost always a way to avoid murder and/or having your text stolen. Sure, the reasons were pretty arbitrary and changed over time, but you could generally learn what was pushing the line and what wasn't. As you got to the point where you might be an actual threat, you got more freedom to fuck around as well.

The biggest problem that HellMOO faces now is the perpetual cold war, mostly brought on by the challenge system. Nobody wants to fire the first shot, because that allows for much greater retaliation without a good counter.
The badmins being quite heavy-handed in acting against shittery is also a hindrance to the vitalizing force that are public enemies. On top of that, because corps aren't fighting among themselves, you'd have almost all able bodies jumping on the shitter because they have nothing else to do; their attention isn't divided enough to allow such a player to flourish and make this playstyle worthwhile and keep people on their toes and active.

Vid related. You might want your hand held through every game, with absolutely nothing bad happening to you at all from the other players, but I'm made of sterner stuff and can handle things not going my way at all times.

How exactly would public enemies even "revitalize" the server?
All that sounds like is some rogue element breaking the rules and forcing everyone to focus on him or roll the dice every day on who's gonna be the target now.
Part of being a "public enemy" is acknowledging that everyone is gonna be after your ass since you made everyone your enemy in the first place. Hoping that everyone else just focus on each other while you do your thing is just being a faggot that wants to stir shit but not face any of the consequences.

Not saying that the corp part is okay, of course. If they aren't fighting amongst themselves, then the game needs something that leads to interesting conflict. Ence my previous post about mines and factories to fight over. I think Neocron actually did something like this, cities being neutral grounds but every terrain outside a free-for-all with many points to capture and hold for the benefit of your faction.

Fag. A general rule for every 4X game is that nothing ever goes your way. The entire point of the game is to fix every problem sent your way and only near lategame can you truly say "nothing is seriously bothering me anymore".

I have no problem with not having full control of everything everytime. But if that's all there is to the game or that's a major part of it, if you tell me I have to be buttfucked for 2 or 3 months before I can start having fun, I'll show you my gigantic backlog and ask you "Why the fuck am I gonna waste time trying to have fun there when I could actually have fun with all these games?"

This isn't a matter of "this is bad, this shouldn't happen". It's a matter of "almost nobody has fun being the punchbag of veterans" and going to play something else. You can brag about how many whipings you get every day but it doesn't make anyone more interested in the game.

And out of both of us, the only one that has an actual argument to back his claims is me. Simply log in and type "who" and then tell me how popular the concept of constant buttfuckery for someone else's amusement actually is.

When you're in a minority that believes to be the only right people in the world… You just might be wrong. Enjoy your dead server, I guess?

You could be a public enemy and assume that you'd always have some folks gunning for you, being careful not to make themselves too open to some other corp swooping in and taking them down, and that everyone who isn't after your blood has other priorities at that point in time. Maybe attention would be split up between other public enemies as well, or you'd have someone to team up with, or anything.
But there aren't any other priorities, and there are no other hostilities. Everyone's dying to fight, and you're the only valid target. Fucking everyone is after you and only you.

If you use any kind of cheesy tactics that would allow you to survive in such an environment, you'd get badmin attention.

The last time I saw someone shitting things up, there were 7-15 people waiting at his door around the clock, coming and going from every corporation, a few less when he wasn't online, all brainstorming to figure out if there was any way to bypass the current restrictions and still do harm to him, and some others being on standby at his other properties. For maybe a week and a half or two weeks before he just stopped playing.

If corps were fighting among themselves, bunching up at a door would be just asking to get bombed or have anyone not at the door to be picked off. But no, it's a big friendly social event.

Keep crying. Server's still dead. Ain't gonna buttfuck anyone if nobody joins, are you? :^)

That would require a much higher population so that everyone had more targets or people to worry about.
And it would require some reason for the corps to fight. Again, if the game doesn't have that, it's the game's fault. Lack of source for conflict.

Although another perspective is to see through those guys eyes. If there's so much people that prefer to join a corp and have a social gathering at some shitters house instead of engaging in all out PvP, maybe there's something inherently wrong with the PvP.
Not wrong as in "combat is imbalanced" but rather "this is a feature that many people don't find fun or interesting".

You'd have better odds at solving the problem starting there than actually coming up with a way for public enemies to get away with their shittery.
It's a society that praises order and stability and will attack any threat to that. Their response to shittery is perfectly normal, although not a very interesting one.

Perhaps I was a bit misunderstood. I didn't mean to imply that shittery existing would magically bring the game back into its former glory, but rather that it is one of the things that made the game amusing for everyone, and one that cannot naturally grow without other forms of distractions or conflict. More of a byproduct that also extends to those outside of corp-vs-corp, flavoring the whole world with a cynical and paranoid atmosphere.

I'd say the inherent problem with PvP is the current challenge and zone system, where the aggressor almost always has a relatively long-lasting disadvantage. Oh well.

:^)

I wouldn't be so sure of that nor make such a sweeping statement. I'm sure a fair share of people enjoyed the shittery, either because they were the ones doing it, they were the ones stopping it or it just provided colorfull stories for the server.
However, I'm also sure a lot of people were probably busy with something they were doing themselves and were interrupted with shittery and that's most certainly not very funny for them.

If shittery is limited strictly to killing someone else, I'd say that's a very weak shittery. Sabotage, spreading diseases, robbing things should be possible and much more frequent, since those rarely lead directly to you and have more interesting solutions to fight against than just "get a cocoon". Good shittery is about creativity and if it's not possible to do anything creative, then it's not possible to be a funny shitter.

Then it's a matter of stakes. The agressor is most likely putting his current gear, corp and\or housing at stake everytime he takes a shot at someone else, and there's little to no profit in doing so.

You have 2 possible solutions for this, both valid depending on what kind of game you want to foster:
-Lower the stakes.
This includes stuff like not losing your gear (but that's anathema for the game, I guess…) and other penalties you'd receive for "losing" at PvP. In turn, you also lose much of the "rewards" you'd get from it as well.
Let's say that a player turns "PvP" to "fun mode". He kills, his oponents don't drop gear, but he dies and his oponents don't drop hear either. The one starting the fight dictates the outcome.
This leads to people actually fighting with other but "agreeing" beforehand on just how much do they want to "bet" in that fight, so you can have more or less serious fights according to the context.

This does lead to an increase in fighting since it's more "free" to do so, but fights lose a bit of their meaning, considering how you don't win much from them except maybe XP.

-Increase the stakes
Give the players some tangential reward for actually engaging in a fight with each other, especially if it involves corps. Considering how much the agressor is "betting" on a fight, it makes sense to give him a reward for his risk.
Currently, the closest content I can think that fits this criteria is Protection Contracts and Cameras (but nobody fights for those anyway). Having control over certain areas granted to your corp and you having the duty to defend them with combat from other people would give purpose to combat and increase the stakes, giving you an actual reward for starting a fight.
You try to take over an area and if you win, you get a steady and reliable source of cash and materials as well as a safespot with guards, but if you lose, you just don't get it and now you're at war with the other corp.

hell/hatemoo storytime?

>"Chick says: MMGHMGMRMHMGMGGFFFF" i laughed about this in real life for months
>"I'm rubbing myself off right now holy shit what has this game done to me"

thanks hatemoo, you got me laid

This is the most concise and accurate post regarding that shit in this thread. There's been several ingame posts with ideas on how to improve the system so merely attacking(not even killing) doesn't guarantee an offline robbery, but the admins haven't commented on any as far as I know. As someone who's been an admin on HellMOO, they fucking hate all PVP. who, or in what corp were you?

Maybe because it's a constant source of drama while also being incredibly disconnected from the rest of the game and yet still part of it?
I'd argue Cyberspace is better implemented, meshes more with the rest of the world and gives less problems than actual PvP and you know how Cyberspace is.

I'm not going to say you're not correct, but I'd argue it's also the driving force behind most of the funny and memorable things happening in the game outside of "k ant;pow".

I'd share my name, but I've gone by a few, and I've since used my main name elsewhere.
I probably don't have any other notoriety besides abusing the roulette wheel to make millions, while hanging with the objectively scrubbly corps.

I kind of regret not logging absolutely fucking everything.

And I'm not gonna deny that point since it's 100% correct, combat and PvP does lead to the best moments and stories in the game.
But I will argue that all those stories are a side effect of players actually putting some effort on their own to make a situation actually funny with little or no support from the game.

There's no problem in making PvP a central part of a game, but you gotta make the game around it, not just tack it along as "lategame content for when the players are bored and maybe wanna do something else". If the ultimate goal in the game is to have corps fighting corps and players fighting players, there should be a fair amount of content centered around that competition that makes PvP fun and interesting to take part in. Not just the stupid cameras in that neighboorhood.

What makes it fun and interesting is the suffering and loss you inflict upon the target, you sackless faggot.

I want single-player MUDs, and I'm not talking about text adventure games like that infocom stuff.
I want that fast-paced real-time multi-opponent combat like the good old days. I learned to read and type so fucking fast from MUDs, and beyond that, the depth of detail and description of everything is on another goddamn level.

Tell me of all those wonderfull servers all filled with people that love to play the game like that and how they are clearly not dead at all because that's such a fun and popular idea that everyone is lining up their butt for a good ramming.

Yeah, you are a faggot. The only defense that you have against the truth is pointing out the no population, or crying out about how getting owned in pvp while you're just trying to peacefully ERP with other gays is no fun.

Lot's of generalizations there, buddy.
Which is funny, because while my argument has the Who command to back it up, yours has your personal OPINION to back it up. :^)
You ain't gonna buttfuck anyone if nobody plays in the same server as you, stay mad "HellMOO tough guy". I'm sure a lot of people have a lot of respect for your tremendous ability to withstand punishment.