Project 1999

Does anyone here play it?
I'm downloading it and want to join a guild ASAP.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_McQuaid
pantheonmmo.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is this another game cashing in on nostalgia? Either way i like the graphics.

it's absolutely riddled with twinks last I checked. then again, it's been around for like 7 years now. that's longer than EQ was around before EQ2 showed up.

so from what i remember, isn't it something like Holla Forumsscape or Meridian 59 where some group hosts a separate serb from the original game?

Servers dead man, 8ch used to have a guild. But not enough players for it to be fun.

And the players that are on it are already all twinked out, impossible to catch

It says there's 1145 online right now. It was around 800 earlier today. That's decent enough for me.

I played this starting about 2 years ago everyday for several months, due to a long burning MMO-EQ itch that needed to be scratched.

I picked a class that was decent in EQ (wizard) and was basically useless as fuck the whole six months or so I played on p99. (due to balance)

Starting out:
You will not get into an "uber" guild.
if you pick the wrong class
You will never get into an "uber" guild.
in the end
You will have to buy epic pieces from "uber" guilds.

also drop rates on some shit like shaman spells are like 1 random drop every 2-3 months or more. it is so bad some people actually resort to buying platinum and end up getting banned for their efforts.

also the grind in this game is obscene. past level 56 (of 65) you will play an entire night for 1 blue (20% of a level). people hit max level after half a year usually of regular play.

with all the above shit talk – I did have fun, I played in a couple of ok guilds, twinked out an alt of every class with gear suitable for post 50s and generally just had a good time when I was in that mode.

play a cleric if you can stomach it. don't play a tank of any sort, absolutely consider an iskar monk if you can stomach solo or rogue whatever. do not roll a druid or wizard. shamans are good but expensive, rangers are shit. (pre PoP)

It's not good. I played it off and on for a while, got 2 characters into their mid-40s. Players can be broken down into 2 groups: 1. nostalgiafags who want to use historic, level-appropriate gear, group and kill shit while reminiscing and having fun and 2. twinked-out tryhard faggots who just want to plat farm and be drama whores. Guess which group is larger.

Also because progression is stalled (Velious still not ready last I played), you have a huge glut of players levels 50-60, making any sort of raiding, epic questing, or gear farming impossible for the non-connected player. If it sells for a few hundred plat or more, its camped by some mid-50s druid, 24/7. Hybrid classes are also severely gimped in terms of exp gain and abilities that was later fixed in velious eg human paladin = -40% exp. enjoy getting KS'd by stuck up lvl 20 rogues with epic and fungi tunic.

I miss EQ so fucking much

velious was live just after i started way over a year ago, xp for hybrids was removed, but they still suck because pre-PoP balance. everything else is more or less true.

Waste of dubs. It's Everquest private server you newfag

Oh sorry, never played any MMOs.

Lotta WoW casuals here.

This. Like so many "Why do all MMOs suck?" and "The perfect MMO should be like/do X" threads, 99.9% of posters have nothing to contribute because their fondest MMO memories are from the very cancer that killed the genre.

Attempting to salvage this thread with a vid of the original tutorial zone.

Looking at this again and remembering how low poly and simple everything was makes me wonder why no fan remake/spiritual successor has been made yet. Hell, the backend is already in place through the eqemu project, just need a new client, new assets and "content", and we're in business.

Anyway, post what you feel made Everquest good and what would mechanics or whatnot would make it into a good spiritual successor.

I think the thing is from what I heard from another EQ-clone called SoD that sucked even worse, is that new content is ridiculously hard to add for some reason. Also, "new content devs" tend to make every old area obsolete when they do manage to make an area, in essence fucking up balance and thereafter all the fun of the game.

Although, it is amazing that there is not more mmo clones, but I guess it's just too massive an undertaking for a small-ish team.

SoD? google is failing me. I see some kind of "post-apoc zombie sandbox shooter" but idk if that's what you're talking about.

By new content, I mean new assets, items, quests, etc. to keep SOE's lawyers away, while still playing like "oh, this could be a EQ expansion."

I'd be willing to bet a handful of classes, a level cap of 10 or something, 3 zone (town, newbie zone, crushbone-tier "dungeon") proof-of-concept with slightly upgraded graphics while retaining the EQ feel would get kikestarted in a hurry but idk if that's just me.

The problem would be finding devs who actually "got" that feel. As in, ones that understood the difference between Vanilla thru Velious, and post-Velious EQ (hint: big shit like zone geometry style, character and mob models, fast travel, the bazaar, etc. since SoL), and don't just copy the terminal cancer era content.

How the fuck are you able to play at 19fps?

SoD = "State of Decay" Sandbox Survival Game.

but the SoD I'm talking about is, Shards of Dalaya – in fact the code is good and the changes are good but class balance is opposite of vanilla, and it made so that if you haven't been grinding AA for 5 years your a piece of shit forever. They have added new content once in a while and after the one god guild completes it they buff the bosses to make it harder for less geared guilds. The worst part is that as of a couple years ago it only had 200 people max online and you can box an alt, or rather another persons uber account so, new blood was never ever needed. DO NOT APPLY.

It's like like having bad ping all the time: you adapt, compensate, and anticipate.

If he would just turn off particle effects and look down at the ground he might hit 30

Never heard of it before now. Reading up on it, looks like just a mod though. Appears to use the same zone geometry as well. Items are super generic, post-velious-like too, with virtually everything giving + all stats, + hp/mana. Old world items were charming in that they were virtually all crap, or come with minuses as well (-charisma, heavy weight, harsh class/race restrictions, etc.) I don't know what kind of game play they're going for though, so I won't judge it completely yet.

What do you guys think of pantheon: rise of the fallen, is it worth following? I never seriously played EQ, but they're saying a lot of things that sound good to me. For example, no in game maps.

I really hated EQ.

Hey guys, heres a better game.

that's by the EQ guy himself, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_McQuaid last I looked into that it was NEVER EVER, and his other couple of games weren't exactly hits either. Gonna watch at least some of this vid though tomorrow when I get up.

I never even realized Everquest Next got cancelled. I knew it would be a piece of shit or probably be a forever beta but hey.

Everquest losts it's soul right after SoV was released and they decideed to flip balance on every class.

EQ consists solely of raidfags now, UO consists solely of PvPfags or RPfags.

I didn't actually look at OP pic until now and it reminds me that if you play a bard or enchanter with even a medicore ability level you will have your dick (virtually) sucked 24/7 on p99.

There are 1200 people online. That is more than a fucking retail sever IN 1999-2002

It's called Pantheon: Rise of The Fallen. It's being made by Brad McQuaid, lead EQ1 designer. They're using Unity FUCK
pantheonmmo.com/

The gnomes are pretty spooky looking.

Here's some gameplay from June 23rd

did you not read the "I'm downloading it" part?

Yeah I saw, I had forgotten its existence entirely til another user mentioned it in this thread. It looks cool from what I've seen so far.

meh. It'll do, as long as it doesn't choke on large-scale raids with detail and effects turned up.

Is this the guy who sold his ass to SONY during the early EQ days?

989/Verant is Sony. They're spinoffs from the main SCEA brand. It uses the engine of an earlier game by Sony called Tanarus.

Think you have the wrong game.

Dude, Verant was bought by Sony in the early days of EQ.

They are Sony.

should have been named browneye

har, har

Do not play Project 1999, they have reservations on raid loot. You can literally be banned if you loot a raid boss unless you have permission from the GMs because they run the game like a friends and family circle jerk.