I liked symphonia, these any good? which is better?

I liked symphonia, these any good? which is better?

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/app/372360/discussions/0/458607699626558474/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Expect a lot of "peaches look just like your butt, pseudo-mom" jokes in f.
The combat is good, especially for local multiplayer (maybe the last tales on that), but the story is cringe tier most of the time, just barely doable. No comparison to symphonia. Xillia might be a little better in that regard.

Graces F is terrible. Xillia is meh.

have only played graces f of the two: story is shit tier, villain is shit tier, combat was some of my favourite in the series. the setting in general is pretty meh. I have heard from other tales fans that xillia is meh-tier, and can be replaced entirely by xillia 2

How's the symphonia pc port? is there a mod for 60fps yet?

steamcommunity.com/app/372360/discussions/0/458607699626558474/

Learn to use Google you walking trash heap.

just got it in the steam sale: so far so good. originally it was a garbage port, but it appears to be fine now. unsure about the 60 fps, my computer is a toaster anyways.

they all suck and even symphonia isn't that good

My little user can't be this tsundere. thanks

It's looking pretty good now, but I'll wait for a 60fps mod to pirate it

It runs fine now. If you're nostalgic for that game, get it.

I haven't played it yet

To be fair Symphonia is a game a lot of people have nostalgia for, even if it isn't the best tales game.

If you liked Edge Maverick in Star Ocean 4, you'll like Tales of Graces F, but if your waifu is Lightning, you'll love Tales of Xillia.
Tales of Graces F's combat boils down to dodging and button mashing, while Tales of Xillia is standard Tales gameplay.
Tales of Graces F is more kid-friendly and extremely shonen-influenced, but Tales of Xillia is about as dark as Tales of the Abyss but with more "huurr huurr technology is bad" finger wagging.

I'm aware. To be honest the only Tales I've played to completion is Phantasia (SNES version). I've watched Abyss and Symphonia's anime adaptations years ago and it made want to get into them (even though i've been spoiled to hell already)

Graces has a decent combat system but I just can't get into it. Not as much of a fan of the characters and the story is shit even by Tales standards where story exists just to throw wacky characters into a party sometimes.

Xillia 1 on the other hand is a decent story, but the combat is more like Symphonia and other Tales games. Every character has a specific unique mechanic and the skills system is alright. I personally liked no world map in it since everything is connected and you walk everywhere in semi-to-scale environments. Xillia 2 is also a good sequel, but benefits from knowing the characters from 1 more.

Abyss is the one I want to recommend but that fucking slowdown on the world map and the load times on anything other than HDD or 3DS are awful.

Graces > Xillia 2 > Xillia. Gameplay-wise of course, since you shouldn't play a Tales game for any reason other than the gameplay. Just note that Graces's battles are a bit different from what you might be used to in other Tales games because it's a Team Destiny-produced game and only Team Symphonia games have been localized up to then, so be prepared for stuff like no more TP, fragile characters, big combos, and LOTS of dodging. The Xillias were made after the two development teams merged, so it might feel a bit more familiar than Graces. It might be worth noting that Xillia 2 has the best combo system, but Ludger steamrolls over absolutely everything so lol.

Also, Xillia 2's plot is crap. It feels like a sequel to Xillia as much as DotNW was a sequel to Symphonia, with the returning characters having little involvement in the story and whatnot. The fractured dimension stuff was cool to see I guess, but it really comes out of left field. I guess that was all so they could bring back the Chimeriad, but it's still stupid. The best thing about it was getting to know about Elympios more, but ultimately, turning off your brain whenever they explain plot stuff makes the game more withstandable. And Elle a shit.

Daily reminder Zestiria was alright

Was it actually, though?
I've yet to play it, but I really like not having a transition between battles. Shame that the game forces the fusion mechanic on you, from what I've heard.

The camera alone makes it not "alright".

I beat it barely using fusion, that's just there to make casuals feel good about themselves

Eh it was clunky at times but wasn't anywhere as bad as people claim it is

The fusion mechanic isn't bad, aside from it limiting the game to 2 players.
The worst thing about it is that the no transitions sometimes forces you into S H I T camera angles and you can't see anything

fugg. I'll probably get over it, but that's annoying.

No it wasn't. Rose was a terrible character. It made zero sense why she teamed up with the protagonist. Alisha had good reasons to team up with the protagonist, but they made up some dumb bullshit reason as to why she couldn't. I can understand why the Japs got so pissed at that.

Graces f is arguably the best game from a mechanical standpoint (I haven't played Xillia 2) Its system discourages mashing and encourages hitting weaknesses, and the item customization is satisfying despite being fairly shallow. Every character has a unique gimmick that makes them handle in very different ways too. The MC for example has an iaijutsu kind of gimmick where his regular attacks are all pommel and blunt strikes, but he can draw his sword when using artes to activate super armor and when he sheaths he regains health based on how many artes he's hit with.

The story and characters are ECH tier though.

It's not terrible, but when it happens, it's frustrating. Especially when you're on a high difficulty and a single enemy can kill you if you're not playing on point.

Except for the two destiny games on the ps1.

The first 4 Tales games were made before the teams split into Team Symphonia and Team Destiny, with Team Symphonia making Tales of Symphonia and Team Destiny (who were named such because they consisted mostly of the team that made Destiny 2) making Tales of Rebirth.

This is aside from the point, but the distinction between these teams is important because they approach gameplay rather differently. Team Symphonia was the first to go into 3D and expanded Overlimits, and they liked to keep with the traditional Base > Arcane arte chain and used TP. Team Destiny focused more on making battle flow interesting and different, and they ditched TP and even the standard arte chain to popularize the "everything goes into anything" systems such as CC. Another way of looking at it is that Team Symphonia tried to be more traditional while expanding 3D and regulating systems, while Team Destiny tried something different to make each game fun and unique.

Also, people always talk about Tales of Destiny II as Tales of Eternia, you dork. No one calls it the former because the actual sequel to Destiny came out immediately afterwards. It was even released in Europe as Tales of Eternia.

Longtime Tales fag here. Played them all, even the untranslated ones.

My opinion? Graces F is, gameplay-wise, the best out of them all. Abyss is a close second though. Xillia 1 had a decent story, but the combat was a bit weak. Xillia 2 was shit, but I forced myself to finish it and it did pick up a bit in the
end.

Here's my personal opinion of the Tales series:

Best game: Tales of the Abyss

Good entries: Vesperia, Graces F, Eternia, Rebirth, Destiny 2 (The PS2 Japanese sequel to Destiny, not USA's Eternia)

Semi decent ones: Destiny 1, Hearts (Vita), Symphonia, Phantasia

Shitty ones: Tempest, Innocence, Zestiria, Legendia

To clarify: Abyss is 2nd to Graces F in combat mechanics, but overall, is better.

Grace's battle system is amazing but you need to pump the difficulty to the highest setting to enjoy it to it's fullest.

I was wondering about your reasoning for Innocence and Legendia. I played the translation of innocence and found it meh, and I've never played Legendia.

Aren't the difficulties in tales games just "Give the enemies more health and better stats".

Innocence, where to begin? First of all, I don't know if this counts, but I played it without a translation guide since I played the translated rom on Desmume.

Main character was a total wussy and was the most annoying main in the series. Yes, that changes, but not for a long time. Also, the game was on the DS, so it looked jagged, had shit music, and had a framerate that you can't blame on an emulator. The super small world, the incredibly dumb mascot (Worst of the series in my opinion) and unresponsive combat (Again, I don't blame the emulator) just made it feel like a chore to play through.

Legendia? Holy shit. It was a 14 year old girl's self insert fanfic. I still don't get why on Earth Shirley exists and no one drove a sword through her chest, least of all why Senel actually cares about her. Shirley is a Mary Sue of the highest caliber.

Plus the 2D battle plane was a real dumb decision in my opinion. At least do what rebirth did and have a guardian heroes-esque multiple plane 2d field.

The only character I liked in Legendia was Norma. I never did finish the epilogue quest, since I couldn't stand the game, it's weak story, weak combat, annoying characters and (for some odd reason) the washed out colors.

The tide is changing. We're moving into a brave new world of "good tastes." Graces is, and will always be, the greatest Tales game.

I really can't see them outdoing it.

Whatever you say, fam.

I also played the translated rom, but on my DS.
I agree the guy is a massive pussy, though I would say that the MC from DOTNW could compete as the most annoying.
The DS had slowdowns as well. I was going to talk about the rest of what you posted, but I realized I have forgotten a shit ton about that game. So that doesn't really do a lot for its defense.

Yes except in Graces, if you hit weakness you do more damage if you rank up the difficulty.

Playing in Chaos and Evil forces you to use the battle system effectively.

Counter point about Legendia, I actually liked the pure 2D battle plane. It was an easy way to combo a bunch of hits from all my party members. Lack of multiplayer is awful though, and Shirley is fucking terrible with awful forced bait and switch and shoving it down your throat that Senel liked Shirley all along which isn't true. The music is good and the rest of the characters are okay. They're bearable at least. The overall plot is about what you'd expect from a Tales game. Not the best, not the worst.

I can. Write fucking not shit characters.

I heard this was due to dialogue getting butchered in localization, not sure if true though.

Nah, it's in the Japanese version too.

Also, while I'm pretty fond of Graces overall, this is a legitimate thing to complain about.

well that's disappointing.

It's still a shit port of a shit port of a shit port. PC version is a port of the PS3 version which is a port of the PS2 version which is a port of the GC version.

The GC version is the only version that runs at 60fps. The GC version has higher quality graphics. The GC version has fewer bugs. The GC version has no built-in input delay. The GC version emulates flawlessly on Dolphin.

Do the math.

Graces f is mediocre and Xillia is extremely mediocre.
Graces f has a low quality localization, while Xillia has a complete shit-tier localization. Make of that as you will. If you have a 360, you can play the beta version of Tales of Vesperia. If you have a modded PS3, you can play a fantranslated version of the content-complete JP version. I recommend either, as Vesperia is the best Tales game. Tales of the Abyss is also a decent game, and can be played on PS2 (not recommended, lots of performance issues), 3DS (tolerable), or emulated on PCSX2 (preferred method)

I was going to play the GC version (in japanese) but I wanted muh extra content from the other versions. Also Tales uses a lot of difficult kanji and it can be tiring. Can't have it all, I guess.

Really? I was able to get through Hearts DS and Destiny DC pretty easily years back, and I'm not that good in Japanese even now. Destinations are highlighted on the map, story is understandable from bits and scraps of whatever I could understand + context (there really isn't much to Tales stories, man) and even artes have easy-to-read Katakana readings in the menu. The most difficulty I recall having from Hearts was figuring out which materials were used for what, but even then it wasn't a big problem.

My problem is not just getting through the game. I have enough knowledge to understand most stuff, but because of that my autism won't let me skip kanji I don't know so I will always look it up, so as to not leave "gaps" on the dialogue etc. So when I encounter a lot of hard kanji it can take time to look em all up.
At least it works as kanji drilling I guess

It needs this logo and it will be perfect.

Nope. Zestiria and Xillia 2 are the only Tales games I ever dropped, and I put up with Hearts R and the horrible localization.