Companions

Are there any games where you fight through thick-and-thin with an NPC and can see them as actual an friend?

Arcanum.

new vegas
mass effect
baldurs gate
enslaved (kind of)
army of 2

THUMBS DOWN YOU SON OF A BITCH

player-dictated party members are better.

You team up with some childhood friends or some castaways, rogues, and mercenaries: you go through a lot of adversity together and the cohesion of camaraderie strengthens between all of you except in one case where this is completely subverted and their betrayal hits you like a runaway wrecking ball. So much for the power of friendship.

Dogman

Neverwinter nights 2

Dragon's Dogma, no matter what happens your pawn will always be by your side to the very end.

Saints Row 1 & 2

neera is no

Fuck, wrong pic

I thought that was this

Baldur's Gate

In both Baldur's Gate games I really felt this sense of camaraderie with my motley crew of party members. And most of them were memorable.

Dragon's Dogma was pretty good

this guy never had viconia along for the ride

One of Minsc's best lines in the game was "Camaraderie, adventure, and Steel on Steel. The stuff of legends! Right Boo?"

It was one of the comfiest moments in the entire game for me.

For me dragon's dogma and dwarf fortress did the trick, mainly because they weren't fucking useless like many other games and they saved my ass a few times in game.

I'm in the progress of making a 3D action adventure game and wondering how to solve the problem of companions getting rekt in a real time combat situation.

I sort of like the way Dragon's Dogma does it where they will collapse on defeat and you can pull them back up, but I noticed you could do this infinitely and have them take down unrealistic odds as long as you skipped around reviving your team mates repeatedly and evading enemies.

I was thinking of a system where they collapse on defeat, and you can revive them only once. After that, if they are knocked down again you will have to pick them up and carry them to safety. But unlike DD and lots of other games, the same would apply to the player character. So you hit zero health, your companion(s) will pull you back up and give a warning along the lines of, "You can't take another blow like that!"

Then if you get knocked down again it's either game over or you wake up at the nearest "hospital" with a temporary debuff.

What do you guys think?

I fucking hate companions mainly due to the added busy work that managing their inventory brings.

Are you at the point where you can implement that? What's your AI like otherwise?

Haven't even started on the AI lol. But where I'm at so far it wouldn't be too difficult. I have the actor class properly abstracted that it can be used for both NPCs and the player character, it just needs movement instructions.

If only Godot didn't shit itself when I added another animated character… I'm thinking I'll just disable the character graphics to can work on it.

Yeah, not much of a personality if you ask me. I'd rather ED-E any day of the week.

Correct me if I'm wrong about this because I'm shit with code, but going by what I've seen with games like Dark Messiah, I've noticed that there seem to be lots of different ways to tag "death". So falling a certain distance might tag it, and hitting 0HP does as well, even if you regenerate at that exact moment back to 1HP.

So I'm guessing, then, you'd want to set the initial flag to be a "downed" flag with an "injured" flag, and then the "death" flag to only be triggered after the "injured" has been set and still not faded? If you did that, I suppose you could also have enemies respond to "downed" differently. Some would ignore the "downed" player, while others might specifically target the "injured" or "downed". Maybe have certain attacks instantly trigger the "dead" effect, due to spells or certain specials. Hell, give enemies the same AI to drag each other to the side, out of danger.

If you can implement it, it would be pretty cool.

You there, I like you and what you had to say.

It hit me in the feels a lot more than I expected it too, having her watch as my Arisen took his own life, in turn granting her a soul.

Dragon's Dogma goes places at the end man. It really does.

Best bro coming through!

Apart from the obvious spoiler, I'm really looking forward to playing more. I've gotten so many hours of playtime just wandering around and killing cyclops/chimeras around the countryside. Never had I imagined a RPG could be this good.

If all else fails you could just implement it to where the AI stays unconscious after the first revival until the fight is complete. Having to carry them back to a healing area sounds pretty tedious and difficult to implement.

Sorry about the spoiler, the game's old as fuck at this point so I don't really consider the fact that people might not be privy to plot information like that.

It really is one of the better RPGs to come out in a long ass time, criminally underrated. I hope and pray for a sequel one of these days that isn't a crap MMO.

How's Godot for 3D? Are you doing the modelling yourself?

Divinity

Better yet play the game with a pal

Yep. I'd have a 'is_injured' effect, 'is_downed' effect, and 'is_dead' effect in the script. So hitting 0 HP would trigger downed/injured state but not the death state.

Horribly unfinished and yes, doing everything solo for now. I'd post pics but am on my phone atm.

That's a fair point. Probably keep them in an injured state until you get to an inn or whatever, but keeping them unconscious after the fight would get old pretty fast.

did they ever patch in her tail?

I wish FO:NV had minor companion interactions like FO2.

Well they did respond to whatever the fuck you did.

I mean between other companions.

Ow yeah that would be cool, but in the base game you can only take ED-E/Rex + humanoid companion. though they probably would have were it not for Zenimax and Bethesda jewery

I love Fallout: New Vegas despite not because of FPS elements so I'm unwilling to praise FO4 improving the gunplay. However, I'm against how Van Buren was going to have a separate real time and turn-based mode.

Frankly my ideal fallout would be a subtle skill increase in the background on top of the gunplay in the foreground while also having an advanced crafting system (not like FO4 that shit's stupid) with an open ended story and progression and a metric fuckton of ways to complete your goals or fail them

i still cant get over the name zenimax
they might as well have just named themselves "were getting paid"

I considered Fallout dead. Fallout: New Vegas even had a book end with the "War Never Changes" line and the NCR is making it harder to Fallout a post-apocalyptic setting.

I rather a new game be made. I just wish there is a way to use SPECIAL without being sued by faggots who don't even understand it.

Hahahaha holy fuck how did I never notice that

Came in to post this myself. Well done, user.

Life.

what game

>>>/facebook/

Well there are worse, at least you didnt post the druid or the paladin