AMD Radeon RX 480 8 GB

The review is out.

Give me your thoughts.

techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/

Other urls found in this thread:

dsogaming.com/news/amd-radeon-rx-480-first-benchmarks-revealed/
8ch.net/tech/res/614243.html#620730
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202222
alternate.de/Hardware/html/listings/1466500939300?tk=7&lk=7&sort=PRICE&order=ASC#listingResult
videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=GeForce GTX 460
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=home
tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616-9.html
picosong.com/xhrP/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Depends on well future drives will improve performance.
I was expecting better to be honest
dsogaming.com/news/amd-radeon-rx-480-first-benchmarks-revealed/

I hate the naming scheme of these new cards.
Gives them no personality at all.
They're a step away from having refrigerator and washing-machine tier names now.

Nitpicking aside. Seems alright, probably won't buy it since i've never had a good experience with AMD GPU's in the past. Subjective bias or whatever the fuck its called I guess.

I might end up buying two 4GB for Crossfire since it's pretty cheap.

That's not too shabby for that price-point.

All right, here's my two cents.

Judging by the benchmarks, the GPU is "good enough" for 1080p resolution, meaning that it will run everything in highest there. But if I decide to buy a new monitor with a much higher resolution, I am going to need a faster GPU. Also, I think that AMD managed to make the best performance/price ration card as in pic related, but made it completely devoid of any personality with this new fucking naming scheme that will most certainly confuse a lot of potential buyers.

While it's not as good as I expected I would want to see some GL / Vulkan benchmarks before picking between nVidia / ATI this time around.
ATI never died, I don't believe your lies but their drivers are legitimately shit even 2 decades after it first became an issue

I needed a cheap midrange card as a replacement, I ended up going from a dead Radeon 5850 to a Strix branded card which is apparently equivalent to a ASUS R7 370 Series

Note that that still leaves you with 4GB of VRAM. Crossfire is pretty cost inefficient.

Most recent games use Dx11 nigger
Im not talking shit about the card, I was just expecting better performance across the board especially against the 290X, but it seems to be a mixed bag.
Like I said, future drivers will surely improve performance, question is: hoe much.

Ill probably get one next month just to be sure it doesnt have issues since Im in dire need of an upgrade.

True but with MS using DX12 to force win10 on people that know better I'll forgo some games to stick with win7 and Vulkan.

Have both sides released all their cards yet? I suspect there will be more to chose from in a couple of months.

You're right. I'll probably just get one 8GB for now, who knows

Visit the Holla Forums thread 8ch.net/tech/res/614243.html#620730

Pretty decent price/performance, some people overhyped the card and thought it was going to battle an 980ti, but as ever.

Wait for the custom coolers.

Yeah, both sides have released their cards now aside from the underpowered RX460.
1070 and 1080 are selling like hotcakes and this one should too due to its cheap price, Ill probably pick one so I can buy some vidya.

AMD hasn't released their 1070/80/ti competitors yet, nor Nvidia released their 1080ti/Titan yet.

290X is a flagship card, and the 480 essentially matches it for less than half the retail price. The reality is that this is now "mainstream" performance. If you want more, wait for the new flagship and high end cards, and pay accordingly.

This release doesn't interest me, because I'm looking for a card to pair with a new 1440p monitor. I'll be waiting for the RX 490/490X or whatever the fuck they decide to call them. $300-350 range should get a nice performance bump over the 480.

Been running crossfired R9 280x cards ever since they were released and haven't had a single issue. They were the GTX 770 equivalent at the time, and perform exactly as advertised.

There you go. That said, I generally buy AMD because they're the lesser evil of the two. Nvidia and Intel are both some of the most dishonest companies in the technology industry.

No.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202222

alternate.de/Hardware/html/listings/1466500939300?tk=7&lk=7&sort=PRICE&order=ASC#listingResult

Thats your problem, not ours. Gotta pay that EJew tax somehow.

Pardon my ignorance

My medium range lasted me 6 years and Im pretty happy with it, so this one fits me like a glove.
Hopefully you can reach 60FPS at 1440p.
Shame theres still no mainstream card for 2880p, maybe Nvidias top cards will fit that role

I sure hope you dont buy AMDs CPUs, at least not anything besides low range.

Might be time for a Dexit so your economy can recover.

I have my ol' trusty 7970. Is it time to upgrade yet?

Looks pretty good

Point is: Those extra ~60 bucks make the card go from "maybe worthwhile" to "pointless".

If you want to got over 1440p you are looking at top of the line cards, it'll probably be another 2 or 3 generations before 2880p is good on mid-range cards.

Kind of.

If you want to go beyond 1080p, that is. Most games still use archaic bullshit meant for older gen consoles and anything requiring anything substantial is few and far between, also with some of those locked behind wangblows 10 due to DX12.

Everything is going to be overpriced in the EU, making everything wander into the "pointless" range.

Nah, i'm staying with 1080. Alright then.

You what?
8GB RX480 is 240$ sausage licker

Same here, would mean not only would I have to shell out for a new card, but replace my aging monitors.

The thing is, it beats my old gtx 650 by far and it's the best option for my budget. So I'll buy it

Good enough for me.

Unless you are increasing your res just judge it by feel, when you feel you are needing to set options too low on too many games only then is it time to upgrade.
I'm still running a 670 and are only looking to upgrade now after years

Any benchmarks for the 460 yet?

Yeah
videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=GeForce GTX 460

:^)

Things escalate quickly when you think like a jew, be aware

Almost bought a Rx 480, but reviews make it out to be kind of hot and loud

Best selling GPU currently on Amazon and Jewegg.

Not interested personally, will wait for 1080 Ti/Vega but this card is the perfect upgrade and a great price for pretty much anyone with a toaster.

The reference card definitely is - it runs at 83C most of the time, and the fan speed is only at 55% most of the time.
Sacrifice heat for loud ass fan or vice versa, or make the wise decision and get an AIB card.

fucking top lel.

I will wait for the second or even third version of the card, like how the 280>285>380 etc I bought the 380 just to play on 1080p and it does great and with the game drought going on right now – I'll probably be good for a few years.

But if you are building your first pc or for someone, that is a great piece to put in price for performance.

Lots of people happy I bet with it, some hoping for more. Doesn't really apply to me but I would get it if I had nothing or a really old card.

why even spew shit when you clearly don't have a single idea of what you're talking about

and here they are now.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=home

AMD kicking the shit out of Nvidia's open source drivers, I'll be getting one of these for a linux install. I don't know what distro to use though, I'll probably go with slackware or something.

Skyrim with a 1440p screen and numerous 4k texture mods only used 2.7/4gb of my memory. Why the fuck would anyone need 8>

Got a 750ti, is it time to upgrade yet?

AMD Linux drivers used to be fucking garbage.
In most cases a GTX 970 got better performance than a Fury X.
Vulkan is going to do magic for AMD's linux drivers.

The King Curry Nigger

There are already a good number of instances where 4GB of VRAM is used in 1080p, especially in QHD and 4K.

Until the GTX 1060 comes out (which won't be until much later in the year) the RX 480, 470, and 460 are the only GPU options under $300 right now.

Main thing I'm seeing is that the reference design is shit.

Wait for others to refine the design on this one and you should see significant improvements in performance. Better cooling systems (more fans, heatpipes, different form factor) should allow for better performance by itself considering it's throttling when pushed. Six pin power connector for a 150W device is cutting it close and not giving much room to OC either, so in addition to running cooler it'll be able to run faster with the extra two.

It's good to know that the floor of this card will be somewhere between a GTX 970 and a GTX 980. It just needs some hardware tweaks that should be able to maximize the potential inside this card.

image got eaten I guess

Time to upgrade from my 5770.

Time to upgrade your taste in titty ninjas fag

I won't buy it until the customs come out and the prices go down, I live in Europe and this card costs 320€ currently, at that price I'd rather buy a 1070, it would cost more but I would get more bang for buck.

I don't think it's shit. Most reference designs just aren't as good as the aftermarket ones. Reference designs always have those shitty blower coolers on them. They're loud and don't work that well.

The aftermarket ones will be a huge step up in noise and heat. They'll probably cost more too. But 480 by itself seems like a really amazing card for the price.

It looks alright for 1440p. It falls off compared to 390x, but so does GTX 980. I wouldn't use it for 4k, but 1440p doesn't seem half bad.

People were expecting a lot more than what we got, but for $199 for the 4GB card it's a really good deal. If aftermarket ones show up under $250, it'll still be a really good deal.

No one uses OpenGL unless you are playing Minecraft or are doing non-game application stuff.

Actually that's been a problem with 1070/1080, I've seen people picking them up at list and then reselling them for a higher price.

I don't think it's worth it, you still are just fine with a 980 or 980Ti from the Green camp but some people are fucking stupid. Like the people who buy Titan cards for gaming and not for relatively cheap FP64 work.

Are those Linux drivers any good though? AMD hasn't had a good track record in that area, although NVIDIA has been troublesome for different reasons.

Not bad, but I gotta upgrade my CPU and Mobo before I do anything else first. This A8-3850 APU piece of shit needs to go.

I want a 480 8GB (can live without it though) but will probably have to settle for the 470 4G. At least it seems to have (on paper) the best bang per buck.

They don't use it now but if you're developing games in the current year there is almost no reason not to. DirectX is a bit easier on its own, but you can develop for every platform at once with OpenGL with pretty much the same featureset.

Mint if you're relatively new, and if you aren't then you should already know which is best for you.

I didn't realise how little vram I had, considering most of what I play runs butter smooth.

Thinking about upgrading to AMD, but I know they're spotty at best with drivers. That being said, the 700 series is no longer being supported in terms of drivers actually increasing performance.

The card is a big bust due to it's lackluster performance and frying your motherboard with 80+watt spikes trough your PCI-E lanes straight onto your motherboard.

tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616-9.html

Regardless, this card stacks up well against the GTX 970, will become a bit cheaper as time goes on and actually has a 256bit memory bus. Unlike the GTX970 which is already being bottlenecked by it's 224 bit memory bus. A fact people conveniently seem to have forgotten whenever they advice people to get a 970 over this card.

My personal advice: Let others buy the fuck out of this card so that it will become a massive success and Nvidia is forced to put a price drop on their high end cards. At which you can hopefully find a discount 980 for around 300 dollars and be set at a 1920x1080 resolution.

Why the hell does it cost extra 120€ on europe?

Because no one likes you fags.

I mean, 240$ is just 215€ what's with the price?

Also, serious question shouldnt you be sleeping?

While it's decent value for the money, this card does absolutely nothing for the average player, who owns a 970 or better.

AMD failed in delivering a gpu that would at least match a 980, leaving Nvidia full control of high (1070) and very high (1080)segment this generation. Again.

The 1060 is coming july 7th and could match the power of a 980 while costing 250 dollars. This would leave no room for the 480.

I am honestly very disappointed, Nvidia has no competition and no reason to tune down its price. That sucks for everyone.
After being completely destroyed market share wise by the 970, AMD does the same thing now, leaving the 1070 with no competition until 2017.

You know that most people cant afford GC in 400-500$ price range, right?

that's what the 1060 will cover… btw the 970 sold like hotcakes when it was 350 dollars, 50 bucks more isn't going to discourage potential buyers

t. Nvidia Marketing Department

AMD clearly targets the poorfags that still want to be able to play the latest games on PC and have for years.

t. Reality.

I wish AMD would stop dropping these limp-wristed appeals to poorfags because they're not delivering enough genuine competition in the higher end to really drive nvidia's prices down across the board which is a shitty situation for the entire market. They truly did become Nvidia & we're getting inefficient, power-sucking, heat-blasting, GPUs from AMD like Nvidia made in the days of Fermi. It is frustrating to look at the performance, power draw, & heat output every time AMD release anything nowadays in hopes that it's going to really go for the jugular of Nvidia & drive down prices for everything only to be let down again & again.

yeah, but if you're a poorfag, are you gonna spend 220/230 bucks for a 480 or 250 bucks for a 1060?

the 970 sold like hotcakes when it was 350 dollars. This is a fact.

calling me a shill won't change this fact.

Neither. They'd go for the $200 480 or the $180 470.

Meh, it's even less impressive than I predicted.

I suppose it's great if you haven't bought a decent card within the last two years and it's good value for money (if that's all you care about) but it's not even pretending to be competitive otherwise.

Some fag over at cuckchan put closed loop water cooler on it and was able to bring it up to 1487mhz, the refrence boards currently being used are hitting 1200 to 1300 on air, the air AIB's are hitting 1400 to 1600 depending on the grade of silicon, I'm thinking water colled AIB's should be hitting 1600 to 1700, if they can get enough power to the card. I'll probably be getting a AIB version of the card then add a closed loop water cooler to it.

Where are the HBM cards with retarded amounts of VRAM that Nvidia & AMD have talked about?
When the hell is that happening?

Fuck you.

they baited us. they're coming out at the end of the year.

I'm a poorfag too faggot. I'll probably get a 470.

HBM2 will come only on top tier cards and it's gonna be crazy expensive, Nvidia already said they will see if it's needed, GDDR5X might be enough keep the flagship on top next year anyway.
HBM memories are so expensive they impact on revenue per card so much you'll probably only see them on 1000 bucks gpus… unless AMD decides to bleed some more with another fail like FuryX

October apparently, but AMD has 2 new GPU's coming out Vega 10 and Vega 11, 10 will probably come out somewhere between October and the end of the year, and 11 will probably come out near half way through next year. Then AMD's Navi GPU's will come out at the end of next year, begining of 2018. The Vega GPU's are the HBM2 ones, Navi is rumored to have stacked GPU's like HBM2 is stacked memory.

We weren't baited this was always AMD's plan.

Thank you merchant, you are our greatest ally.

You might as well get involved in the black market user, heaps better than ending yourself for no good reason just because this shit world revolves around Semites and dumbfuck normalfags.

Everyone overestimated the card. Most reasonable people said it would probably trade blows with the R9 390, and it does just that.

I'm going to grab one as soon as the partner boards hit, I want a better cooler and power design on mine. Reference ones always suck, no exception. Even the 'Founders Edition' shit from Nvidia sucks. Always get aftermarket.

So, anyone freaking out about PCI-E power use, just wait. Seriously. Aftermarket ones will probably have an 8-pin and beefier power and cooling management options. Do halfway decent in the Silicon lottery, and betting 1500MHz overclock, easy. So, just wait.

I'm not ballsy enough to sell drugs and stuff through Silkroad or whatever.

Also

But you gave a reason.

So the new 480 is only marginally faster than my two year old R9 290X, and dual 480's in CrossFire can barely compete with a single GTX 1070?

Damn, AMD, get your shit together.

I just compared it to my GTX 770. Definitely not worth.

Its not a performance juggernaut

Its a price to performance juggernaut and there is nothing better on the market

Agreed.

I know, but as an AMD fanboy, I am tired of watching the GTX series stomp all over AMD year after year after year.

Yeah AMD is going to have to adopt Nvidia's strategy of beating out chips with a sledge hammer where only 2% of yields is worth a fuck

AMD has the right idea by designing chips that are easy to fabricate but when nobody buys them its not worthwhile in the long run

This. Same thing when they talk up AMD CPUs over intel. It's poorfags and retards pretending they buy PC parts for justice.

Here they come

I don't think you've kept up with Nvidia lately to think they'd throw out a card that's competitive with their last lineup at a cheaper price.

In Sweden, the RX 480 is currently more expensive than the GTX 970.

Understandable, since the 970 has gotten a pricedrop due to the new generation, but this is kind of absurd.

Well those are rumors, but the gpu will have its presentation in a week, not too long to verify what is true and what is not.

Nvidia has competition on mid range, they have to keep prices acceptable. 1070 and 1080 are priced like that because AMD give no competition (and probably won't until 2017), so either you pay what Nvidia asks or fuck you. Basically what Intel has been doing for a long time.

GPU presentations are notorious for spewing out a load of crap that hinges on being legally acceptable. Personally I think the best way to verify if a card lives up to it's hype is once the card and the benchmarks are out. And even then you have to make sure you aren't looking at shill benchmarks. Hopefully the 1060 will come out soon.

Anyone have a picture of the Linus tech tip charts where the bars are half the size for a single FPS?

Its a budget card you fucking retard

Dude calm down

So wait, AMD are a full generation behind Nvidia anymore?

Nvidia can charge whatever they like for their cards with no competition.

now*

Are you retarded?
If anything, Nvidia is behind and probably will be for a very long time seeing as all new games and benchmark utilities are DX12/Vulkan.

And because asynchronous compute is an AMD technology and they have specific ACE units in their GPUs Nvidia is pretty fucked.

Vega is going to tear the 1080/Ti and Titan a new asshole on release because all new games are benched in DX12; the only thing Nvidia can do now is spend more money on GameWorks titles to fuck with AMD performance until they put out release drivers.

NVIDIA are probably behind on the short pipe end of things at the moment…except most of the stuff coming out on PC is either DX9 or DX11 still. Vulkan might be handy if consoles pick it up, but MS won't allow it and I don't think Sony gives a shit.

Ironically Windows 10 is hurting on that end too since most people (here included) hate it and want nothing to do with it, to the point where MS has been reduced to tricking people to install it. So DX12 adoption is going slower still.

So the field would still favor NVIDIA…if it wasn't for the fact that people are scalping their new cards and handrubbing the prices up to insane levels second-hand. Which hurts their image. Gameworks doesn't help either.

I'm not sure what Intel is doing outside of paying Anita "Al Sharpton" money and firing everyone they have. iGPU improvements have slowed down and every CPU release since Ivy Bridge has been less and less impressive. Like they don't even want to bother any more.

Honestly this is one of the least interesting periods hardware wise I've seen in a while. Seems so stagnant. Only interesting game in town seems to be on the SSD and RAM fronts.

How's that jewish cock taste, fucktardo?

Honestly this is one of the least interesting periods hardware wise I've seen in a while. Seems so stagnant. Only interesting game in town seems to be on the SSD and RAM fronts.
Well there really is no reason for games to go beyond what a console can do and that is what pushes hardware.

The thing is, even if it was true that more games come out in DX9/D11 - it doesn't matter, because all the goyim see in benchmark reviews are the latest games which almost all either use DX12 or Vulkan.
If Vulkan adoption rates increase it doesn't matter for AMD because both Vulkan and DX12 feature asynchronous compute.
The driver overhead for Vulkan is probably is low as DX12 for AMD GPUs.

Windows10 is shit and Microsoft is a septic tank, personally I want Vulkan to succeed as the primary API for a multitude of reasons but The Khronos Group doesn't have billions of dollars to spend on bribing game developers to use Vulkan like Microsoft does with DX12.

Intel doesn't care about the PC consumer space anymore. They have OEMs in their pockets, and AMD hasn't had a competitive product in ten years in terms of a CPU.
Intel is trying to shift to a mobile SoC company but it's not working and they know it, any companies that accepted their bribes to use their mobile SoCs no longer use them anymore.

It really is, although Zen is exciting simply because it's something new from AMD and while the 16nm and 14nm showings from Nvidia and AMD respectively have been underwhelming, I would like to see what a 14nm 600mm^2 GPU could do.
Probably won't see a chip like that in the consumer spaces for at least 1.5 years as 16nm/14nm is probably going to be the manufacturing process used for several years.

All I'm waiting for at this point is for IBM to finish creating the independent architecture for SyNAPSE processors and release them on the market.

So some secret organization buys the rx 480 card for 199$, or 179€ from AMD, VAT 22% so its 220€
then ??? happens and the price is 270€ now.

Which means less development in the low overhead side of the graphics market all told since there's no standard that can reach particularly well.

MS could just solve this by getting DX12 on Win7 and Win8 but that'd remove the main reason for gamers to upgrade to Win10. Which they aren't doing anyway. But that would very effectively destroy Vulkan…

That's the truth. It's funny as everyone sort of saw what was coming and all their traditional parters back then were screaming at them to make Atom not suck. Intel ignored them and spent all their time on P4, RDRAM and BTX motherboards instead and then discovered that they were getting cut out on the desktop space by virtually everyone. They got lucky with their good string between Core 2 and Sandy Bridge, wasn't for that AMD might have 50% market share at the moment (as it nearly did round the late P4 era).

Probably won't see a chip like that in the consumer spaces for at least 1.5 years as 16nm/14nm is probably going to be the manufacturing process used for several years.

I'm not too excited for the new AMD CPUs, although I'd be happy if they got firmly into Sandy Bridge territory on single thread. Still I would like to see a sub 100W CPU at native 5GHz flat out and solid IPC. Things like that could be very interesting. But, Intel underwhelms continuously and AMD not all that long ago released a few 220W processors, bizarrely.

At least the G3258 is a fun overclocker and the APUs are good for HTPCs or old folks machines.

Used to be Microsoft Word pushed hardware! But then Core 2 appeared and ended that.

Actually Core 2 is still quite enough for office work, even today. And paired with a decent graphics card most video and even many gaming tasks are still quite alright, especially with a Yorkfield.

Similar things could be said about Core 2's AMD counterpart, Phenom II…

Weirdest fucking criticism I've ever seen for a graphics card.

Worth upgrading if I am currently running a 770? I really want to get lodsevram for modded skyrimjob. Should I wait for AMD's competitor with the 1070 to see if NoVidia drops prices? Also thought about waiting until AMD competes with the 1070 to cut a good deal for a used 980ti

Those benchmarks varying from +10% to +`100% frame rate difference with newer cards make me feel kind of compelled to upgrade my gtx 780, if nvidia and amd start competing for prices on those cards i might just go a few weeks without commodities like candy or extra large pizza and get a new gpu

from a 780? wait until a new game comes out that you can't play on max at least. Unless you haven't played the witcher.

witcher's shit and has always been, only brought shame to poland

Im just going to wait for the Rx 490.

Hoping it will be a GTX 980 with a cheaper price tag.

I just hope AMD can do SOMETHING to bring down the prices of Nvidias unending Jewry.

Doesn't look like this card will be much of an upgrade from my r9 280x.

I really wanted to get the GTX 1070, but I was waiting for the RX 480 to see if it was going to be as powerful as AMD claimed. Turns out it can be actually weaker than the GTX 970 in a lot of cases, which is kinda shitty.

Though I was planning on getting a GTX 1070, but with an MSRP of $380 and every single retailer selling them for like $430 it's kind of hard to justify buying it.

what

it is

I bought a new bike instead. I can wait

Is 4GB VRAM overkill for most games nowadays? Or can I just stick to 2GB VRAM for the most part?

Just kill me now fam

Defecate in the toilet

At this point I might as well just collect all the shit in the streets and mail it to every single video card manufacturer.

So from what i got it's a good card to build a cheap rig from scratch, isn't it?
'Cause i'm doing exactly that, i already got everything else and i was waiting for a new gpu, a friend told me the 470 was a better choice but since i'm tech illiterate i don't really know if it's better or not.

Seems like a good thread to ask

Is this thing savable with just one or two component upgrades or should I just build something from scratch? I've had this thing for like 9 years now and it's been working wonders for me but recently it's just not really working for multiplayer games and some recent releases.

They weren't making enough shekels so that has been pushed back the the next generation.
what really happened is they can't get it reliable enough for consumers yet but think they will get it soon

Time to start saving for a new build mate, that one is just too old to be worth it.

Got myself a 960, it's worth the upgrade, right?

Nope, unless you have money burning a hole in your wallet I would wait for the next gen.
Unless you play a lot of something that you feel is too slow / settings reduced too far

A 960 is powerful enough that you might consider a Full-HD monitor.

I don't particularly feel like my computer can't run something efficiently enough. Only thing I noticed is that on GTA5 it goes into the red if I want my textures higher, but oh well. I'm probably just gonna save up then and wait for something else.

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. The screen I have now is cracked, anyway.

By the way gta 5's maximum settings are more or less meant for resolutions higher than 1080p as 1080p simply does not have the detail to show some of the more subtle changes the game does, here's what i remember off of the top of my head. on 1080p with my 780 when i set textures to maximum the game manages to use up all of the 3GB, so it might be your issue.

also adding if you can stand fxaa and you're using it you should lower the graphical settings further as the blur just kills any detail added by graphical settings anyway

Welcome to hell, fellow STEM graduate with excellent GPA. Call centers pay much better than $8.50. At least Verizon and AT&T centers do. It's a soul-crushing job all the same, but hey, it paid for my firearm collection, most of my video game collection, my two (used) cars, and a bunch of other shit.

I still use a Core 2 Quad. Since most new games are COMPLETE SHIT, I'm not missing much.

The decent value for money is the entire point, it's the new 'mainstream' card.

It was meant to bring down the cost of the $330+ hardware, and it succeeds in doing that. If you honestly expected more you were kidding yourself.

I wouldn't say it's weaker than the 970 in 'a lot of cases'. Barely ever is it weaker than a 970, in fact.

The 480 is what you'd call a 'mainstream' or mid-range card. These cards typically hit a pretty good price to performance ratio. The 480 sits somewhere between a 970/980 in DX11, and in DX12 it more or less equals the 980. If your budget for a GPU is between $200-240 USD, this is the card to buy at the moment.

"Oh noes! AMD is da ebil because they are running their power draw from the PCI-E bus at its absolute limits and its killing all da chinese knock off motherboards!"

The hilarious part is in the meantime everyone forgets to point out the fact that prior GPU's always went way way way way way way wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy picosong.com/xhrP/ over spec for drawing power off the 6 or 8 pin, often drawing 110watts+ off the 6 pin when its only rated to 75

So coincidentally AMD has flushed out all the shitty mobo makers and now either AMD fixes their design to draw more power from the PSU itself, or ppl have to admit their $60 mobo's are dog shit and upgrade

oh sorry, I guess it's more accurate to say

why do you do this.

It doesn't cost slightly more, retard. This is midrange that's equaling last gen 'high end'.

I bought a fury

Cause I'm getting tired of ppl talking about the PCI-E power draw issue when literally every dead board I've seen is knock off garbage

To top it off on Guru3D Hilbert banned the guy who started this same thread topic because he turned out to be an Nvidia shill who was banned 2 days prior for shitting on AMD

So right now to me you have a combination of Nvidia shills spreading rumors/disinformation and fanboys repeating it

Almost every GPU maker out there is guilty of overdrawing power, this is nothing new and yet suddenly BOOM its a fucking huge issue just for the 480 series?

Something is up

Also yes I do own an Nvidia GPU and I'm openly calling shenanigans on this huge flood of AMD hate with the release of their new card

Something is up, and history has proven time and time again Nvidia never plays nice

Is it your first time around these forums?

Why?
Are you getting paid for it?

Shall I take a picture of my nvidia gear to prove I'm not an AMD shill?

Make sure to post it with a shoe on your head for evidence

:^)

Why isn't holding the box up the screen enough?

Should I ask you to prove you have a car by having you make sure its running and sucking on the exhaust?

It's a good start but i need something that will last.There are news on when AMD is going to release the bigger chip?

I've heard Vega is geared for release for late december, and supposedly GTX 1080ti for a mid/late release in 2017

Thanks.I will keep my eye on nVidia but with Gameworks and the purposely gimping of the old cards when the new get out is a huge let down.

The ppl saying Nvidia is gimping their own gear is all false, its just ppl upset their 3+ year old hardware isn't cutting edge anymore

I mean fuck look at all the console fucktards who scream PS4/Xbone should look like PC games because they're new, and their only conclusion to why its nowhere near close to PC is "THE DEVS SUCK!"

Possible? I remember that the 700 series got completely fucked,while the 280-290 kept getting better.I know they stopped supporting the drivers and Gameworks for Kepler,but fuck if you don't want to support your own hardware with your own fucking shit(Gameworks,etc.) it's a let down.

The 280 amd just continued optimizing drivers for certain program sequences games asked for, which in turn made them run faster

Nvidia didn't intentionally kill performance with the 700 series, they just stopped giving a fuck with trying to make a 2016 game run as fast as possible with 2012 hardware

It still runs perfectly fine, its just not optimized anymore

Hell AMD just tossed the 7000 series into the can and that's only a single gen older than the 700 series

780ti got out not even 3 years ago.I could understand letting 750/760/ hell even the 770 die.But not the 780t,even if it's old architecture just to not let the consumer feel robbed after 2 year and some months.
Still,i suppose it's fair,they have the choice to do it.
I'll have to see what it can gave me best performance for time and roll with it.Used market is practically dead where i live,i can't really afford to sell one and buy another so to have a less impact on my budget.

can't wait to upgrade my gpu to play all those great new pc games!

Oh…wait

So what's the statue of limitations then?

And technically you're wrong, the GTX 780 was a cutdown chip and the 780ti was the full one, and that chips been out for over 3 years not which even exceeds its warranty

Buying cutting edge parts you know you'll always be last, cause you pay the most money for the least amount of performance, sure you can run literally anything but you pay a fortune to do it

Now you got the 480 out and Nvidia's 1060 will probably be peanuts as well making your bang for your buck for high end incredibly worse

Hell the 1080 isn't even a cutdown chip this year like Nvidia does every other year, its the full sized chip and the 1080ti AKA "Big Pascal" is out next year now

So what do you suggest user?

Besides the totally not shills here, is there anything to justify an upgrade right now? PC gaming seems dead and with PS4k and of course mobile is pretty much the majority of the gaming market now.

No.
I'm still running with my old 560Ti and I haven't missed anything worth playing.
200 Dollarydoos is pretty cheap though.

I have a radeon 390 (albeit a 4gb) would it be worthwhile to upgrade to this? or a 390x 8gb

Not unless you want VR

See above and below

ay sure. I might get an Nvidicuck instead

Buy midrange every year if money is a huge issue

If its not go for high end, or get a new high end every 3 years like I do

I've been using a 660ti and it still played everything on high to ultra at or around 60fps on everything until I upgraded to a 1440p monitor a month ago. I'm probably just going to wait longer till the aftermarket 10XXti are out. Newer games run around 40fps now, but it's bearable.

No. If you want AMD, just wait for RX490. It will have either 6+6/8 or a single 8pin. Will be much better than RX480 for this reason alone.

AMD so incompetent they can't even into pretty waifus.

It is amazing that AMD has managed to starve off bankruptcy for so long. Many predicted they would go under ages ago but let us hope that never happens because we have seen what happens when Nvidia has zero competition in a market which is they will jew you for all the shekels you have and then make you sign your will entrusting Nvidia with your estate. So many things are positive with them around for example without AMD introducing their midrange card Nvidia would have never released their own. Competition is good and we need more of it in everything.

What's that program you guys use to find your specs?

So I'm in a toss up right now.

I'm really liking everything I'm seeing about the GTX 1060 right now.

Unless the RX 490 can blow it away, I think my upgrade will definitely be the GTX 1060.

I really hope the RX 490 is top tier though, because fuck Nvidia.
I will feel guilty as fuck with an Intel processor and an Nvidia GPU

Ouch.

Speccy by Piriform. Download direct from their website, and not a mirror like filehippo, you'll get malware wrapped with it.

These fucking comic book writers and artists are so massively cucked. Holy shit. I was sad the industry was dying just a few years ago, now I couldn't be happier.

Your best option would be to start fresh with an APU build. Go with DDR4 RAM and you should be golden until you get the dedicated GPU.

Just as supplementary info - the APU socket will not be compatible with a more powerful dedicated CPU later on.

The speed of the graphics processor inside the APU chip is highly dependent on the speed of the RAM in the machine and will draw resources from it, so ensure, if you're going to go the APU route, that you get the quickest ram you can afford.

It might not be a bad idea considering how newer games rely less and less on the CPU, and how in certain circumstances I believe both the APU GPU and the dedicated card can be used simultaneously and independently, but I might be wrong on that. I know they can have kind of a pseudo-crossfire thing.

never say never.

Not bad.

I have a 290X so I'll wait for 490X or whatever before upgrading.

Why are these people being paid again?

This thing is decent, have had it for about 3 or 4 years now. I want to get the 480, but I'd have to get a better power supply.

Has anybody done reading into Zen's claim of "40% increase in IPC"? Where would this put them in terms of single-core performance vs. Intel?

Would it get them to Sandy Bridge level? Has anybody done the napkin math?

I just want to run PCSX2 and Dolphin smoothly, and I'm waiting for Zen so I can get away from Jewtel's practices. I'm on the best first gen i5 that came out and it just can't handle the more demanding titles on either emulator.

How'd that happen?